Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: The Jinger Gown

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Who is Jenni Hartono and what is her connection to the Duggars.  I guess PCC is Pensacola Christian College which I pass on my way in and out of town. I had a cousin who taught at Pensacola Jr College (which I think now has a different name) and I tend to confuse PCC with PJC.

Jenni Hartono is a Duggar family friend through the cult. She was a bridesmaid in Jinger's wedding, but her family, from Indonesia, has hung around the Duggars for years. At least the kids, who are all educated in the states. Jana and JD originally met the family in their native Indonesia when on a Gothard mission there several years ago. There was an episode that showed Jana refusing to ride an elephant there. This was very early on in the _________ Kids series. But anyway, that's the Hartonos, and yes, all of their kids attend Pensacola Christian College. 

• Love 1

Pensacola resident here.  We actually have 3 bastions of higher learning here in town.  The University of West Florida, Pensacola State College (Formerly Pensacola Jr. College) and Pensacola Christian College.  The first 2 are accredited, legitimate schools and real students that want a real education attend them.  PCC is a faux-learning, fundie factory.  'Nuff said. 

While the Duggars have been here a few times before, none of them actually came to town for Dress Decision 2016. Renee went up there for the filming so all the other Duggers and various associates would have something to do while Jinger was "deciding" on what her deepest heart wanted to wear.  

And really, the most entertaining part of it for me is that Renee's shop routinely provides some of the sluttiest, blingiest, and most hooker-tastic formal wear for prom, Mardi Gras and other local events!  *ROFL*    That whole pious, righteous act she put on was serious comedy gold. 

• Love 16
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

Pensacola resident here.  We actually have 3 bastions of higher learning here in town.  The University of West Florida, Pensacola State College (Formerly Pensacola Jr. College) and Pensacola Christian College.  The first 2 are accredited, legitimate schools and real students that want a real education attend them.  PCC is a faux-learning, fundie factory.  'Nuff said. 

While the Duggars have been here a few times before, none of them actually came to town for Dress Decision 2016. Renee went up there for the filming so all the other Duggers and various associates would have something to do while Jinger was "deciding" on what her deepest heart wanted to wear.  

And really, the most entertaining part of it for me is that Renee's shop routinely provides some of the sluttiest, blingiest, and most hooker-tastic formal wear for prom, Mardi Gras and other local events!  *ROFL*    That whole pious, righteous act she put on was serious comedy gold. 

LOL...would the Duggars even know this, since they would only consider modest attire?

• Love 1
On 1/25/2017 at 6:29 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Jeezus, my mom and I went to a local dress shop, and I found something that we both liked off the rack. Half an hour, max. And around $100 (1994 dollars). I paid. I was the anti-Bridezilla. 

Gosh I did the same thing, although my parents paid.  I loved the first dress I tried on, and it was on sale.  It cost about $125 in 1973 and my mom's dress cost more.  But I loved the dress and looked pretty good in it, if I do say so myself.  That was the era of high necklines and long sleeves.  I kept everything simple and it all went over without a hitch (and I'm still 'hitched' to the same guy!)

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

LOL...would the Duggars even know this, since they would only consider modest attire?

And Jinger never actually saw the shop since she was probably referred to its website by Jenni Hartono (who most likely HAS seen the shop, but ignored the prom section). 

1 hour ago, luvmylabs said:

Gosh I did the same thing, although my parents paid.  I loved the first dress I tried on, and it was on sale.  It cost about $125 in 1973 and my mom's dress cost more.  But I loved the dress and looked pretty good in it, if I do say so myself.  That was the era of high necklines and long sleeves.  I kept everything simple and it all went over without a hitch (and I'm still 'hitched' to the same guy!)

Did you have the bell sleeves like Princess Anne? 

15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

And Jinger never actually saw the shop since she was probably referred to its website by Jenni Hartono (who most likely HAS seen the shop, but ignored the prom section). 

Did you have the bell sleeves like Princess Anne? 

Ha ha ha!  No they were fitted, but I know that style.  My cousin had them on her gown!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

Ok, a bit off topic, but I had to check out Anne's dress...it's not too bad, but that neck is heinous....

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/03/wedding-wednesday-princess-annes-gown.html

Jing did a fairly good job, but I think she mainly wanted something as different from Jessa's sparkly pink tulle and Jill's mock-mormon monstrosity as possible. 

Actually I liked all the Duggar wedding gowns.  They seemed to get better as they went along.  What do you think Jana would choose?  One gown I did not care for at all was Princess Di's.  Just a little too much for me.  But she was very young.  But the gown Michelle had made over for their 25th anniversary.  Monstrosity!!

Edited by luvmylabs
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

Actually I liked all the Duggar wedding gowns.  They seemed to get better as they went along.  What do you think Jana would choose?  One gown I did not care for at all was Princess Di's.  Just a little too much for me.  But she was very young.  But the gown Michelle had made over for their 25th anniversary.  Monstrosity!!

I liked Jessa's and Jinger's. Not sure what Jana will wear but I found Josie's. Right from Rene's in Pensacola, FL.

382222_10151275739113148_1640158719_n.jp

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 11
On 2/12/2017 at 2:27 PM, GeeGolly said:

I liked Jessa's and Jinger's. Not sure what Jana will wear but I found Josie's. Right from Rene's in Pensacola, FL.

382222_10151275739113148_1640158719_n.jp

Ahhh.  So tasteful.  For the bride that can't afford a Pnina stripper dress from SYTTD.  I can guarantee that no one else will have a dress like this one.

All you need is one of those lovely modesty panels and you're good to go.  The one on the right is even long enough to be Duggar approved.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, toodles said:

Ahhh.  So tasteful.  For the bride that can't afford a Pnina stripper dress from SYTTD.  I can guarantee that no one else will have a dress like this one.

All you need is one of those lovely modesty panels and you're good to go.  The one on the right is even long enough to be Duggar approved.

She can throw this on.

il_340x270.1123078306_p5so.jpg

• Love 8
On February 12, 2017 at 0:20 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Those were some crazy sleeves...very 70s...but the dress suited Princess Anne.

Loved her dress....100% more than Diana's.  Bell sleeves are on trend at the moment, btw.

• Love 1
On January 16, 2017 at 5:23 PM, lulu69 said:

I agree. It's so 'after the fact' that who really cares at this point? We already know what the dress looked like, we know what the church looked like, we know who was in the wedding party & what they wore, we know what shitty food they served...and on and on... yawn!

That's why I enjoy these posts. We all seem to think alike. I am not going to be watching the show anytime soon. I have given it an honest effort, and I become too annoyed with their 'fakery'. But I do love to read the comments on this forum. So thank you, everyone, for the entertainment.

• Love 3
On January 18, 2017 at 10:03 AM, BitterApple said:

Derrick had his surgery nearly two years ago, correct? I understand it's a slow process but you'd think there would've been some improvement by now. He just keeps looking worse and worse, and I'm not saying that in a snarky way because the guy isn't a George Clooney lookalike. He just appears unwell. I wonder if they're going to address it or keep it under wraps. Right now it's a pretty big elephant in the room.

Sorry to be flogging a clearly dead horse, but why did he get surgery? Was it his idea, or Jill's? Was he actually in pain? I ask this because I used to watch the show when Jill was communicating with Derrick online, and went to meet him in Nepal. I didn't mind him at all, and there was clearly chemistry (remember she lost herself briefly and ran to him that time at the airport?). Then next thing I know, the guy isn't shaven, his face is a mess, and he's wearing the occasional man bun or pony tail. The the heck happened to this guy who I that was 'normal given his public schooling etc.?'

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, Marigold said:

Fundamentalists typically do not do any psychiatry due to the history of it being demonic, or so they believe. I think I posted a link somewhere on this forum. One of the main reasons I left the IFB is their twisted view of mental health. 

I know people think Michelle is completely medicated and acts so out of it.

I think she NEEDS medication and is not given any and that's why she is so bizarre.  Medication should be helping her and we have seen Michelle go from a bit kooky on her THs to downright checked out and in bad shape.   

My opinion is that she never properly recovered from Jubilee...she never was allowed to grieve due to the belief that "all things happen for the good".  She had to smile and recite Bible verses even though her heart was broken.  Jim Bob with his stupid smile blathering on about Jubilee is heaven when that's all you want is your child here on earth.   We know that she has 19 kids already but that is not how Michelle feels. She must've been devastated.   Then came the Josh scandals and I'm sure that was a horror for her and Jim Bob.  Of course, it is their fault but from her point of view?  That must have crushed her. 

Michelle needs psychiatric help and hasn't gotten any.  She is told to pray harder and submit to God's will more. My guess is she is not functioning and that is why Jana stays.  She feels her mother is sick and is loyal to taking care of Michelle...just as many of us would help out if (God forbid) our mother/husband/sister/brother etc got a serious illness.  Maybe Jana is the only one who actually realizes Michelle is not well at all.  jana is one of the sharper Duggars and who knows what she thinks?  Maybe she has done googling and realizes michelle is very depressed or whatever.  Jim Bob is a goofball and the other Duggar girls are busy with curling their hair, courting, wedding gowns and babies...they might not realize or have the intelligence to realize.  

Michelle looks progressively worse and worse throughout the years.  She was always kooky but that is Michelle.  Last night she looked out of it. It's almost like she is distancing herself from reality...  

I was reading through and there is a lot here that resonates. Jill seems to take after mom quite a bit in the mental health department.  A little off topic but it is so creepy to think that Derrick reached out to Jim Bob seeking prayer and fellowship, and they had been talking (courting) for some time before Jim Bob chose Jill as sacrificial lamb...so to speak. ( If memory serves, did Jim Bob bring up Derrick to Jill and have them "meet" online, or do I have this story upside down?

Derrick and Michelle have so much in common with their hateful rhetoric against transgender persons. I am sure there is plenty of homophobia as well. I wonder what Michelle and Jim Bob said to Derrick after TLC fired him? or Jill? family feedback?

• Love 1