Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: The Newlyweds vs The Browns

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

How do the wives legally change their name when they're not legally married. In order to get a new ss card, don't you have to prove either marriage or divorce? 

It's really easy to legally change your name.  Some counties even have the forms online for you to print and then file with local courts.  Or you can buy packages online for like $100.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

Janelle doesn't remember her first kiss because they still haven't kissed.

That was a nice try!  Janelle doesn't remember their first kiss, because she was most likely still married to Meri's brother at the time.  I have a sneaking suspicion those two were "getting acquainted" behind their spouses' backs. 

• Love 6

No way is this the end. 

They were filming in Nov.  TLC wouldn't throw in the towel when there are so many loose ends...

Mariah & Meri

Meri & Kody

Mykelti & Tony's wedding

Maddie's baby

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 3

Oddly enough this show doesn't bother me this year nearly as much as it used to.  I loathed their flight from Utah, their housing situations in LV, Sister Wives closet turmoil, cat fishing, crying endlessly, etc.  It's only this last year I can bear half-watching like I half-watch everything.  Clearly, the meds have kicked in, or my life is so shit that this is bearable, or something.  Or I've gone insane and this seems ok to me.

• Love 21

This is my first season watching this show,  and even I was bored stiff during the second hour. The game part was pretty cringe worthy, but I didn't fast forward through it the way I did the clip show.

When they talk about how they don't show affection in front of the other wives, isn't that admitting that you know there's something wrong with the setup. You KNOW you are hurting someone you claim to love. How many of us get up in the morning and say to ourselves, I know I'm going to hurt someone today? What god tells you to do something that hurts another person?

2 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

This is my first season watching this show,  and even I was bored stiff during the second hour. The game part was pretty cringe worthy, but I didn't fast forward through it the way I did the clip show.

When they talk about how they don't show affection in front of the other wives, isn't that admitting that you know there's something wrong with the setup. You KNOW you are hurting someone you claim to love. How many of us get up in the morning and say to ourselves, I know I'm going to hurt someone today? What god tells you to do something that hurts another person?

I admit sometimes I wake up just knowing I'm gonna hurt someone today...

• Love 19
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Janelle says we will laugh. 

No, Janelle, we didn't laugh. This was just sad. 

Also, doesn't it seem a little creepy that teenagers are asking their parents, and their father's mistresses, what they like to do when they're alone. Ewwww!

16 minutes ago, Sista Snarky said:

I admit sometimes I wake up just knowing I'm gonna hurt someone today...

It'll be better after your last kid moves out, hang in there.

27 minutes ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

Part 1? Let me guess, it will be two hours long? So that means with part 1 and 2 overall, their stupid season finale will be 4 hours long? 

I've never seen a tell all finale for this show, will it be mostly clips? Will we be able to just ff through a lot of it?

49 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

No, Janelle, we didn't laugh. This was just sad. 

Also, doesn't it seem a little creepy that teenagers are asking their parents, and their father's mistresses, what they like to do when they're alone. Ewwww!

Aspyn and Mariah are no longer teens.  It didn't bother me because all the non-parents were enjoying watching the parents squirm.  It was Maddie and Caleb who ventured too far into TMI territory.  Again.  Maddie really reminds me of those married Duggar girls - rubbing into the spinsters' faces that they are having God approved, and parent endorsed, sex.  A lot.  And enjoying it. 

• Love 6

Maddie is getting on my nerves with all the sex talk. I don't know why she's comfortable saying things in front of her parents, especially her dad. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with my kids talking like that. Like I know they do it. I don't need to hear about it like it's cute. 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Aspyn and Mariah are no longer teens.  It didn't bother me because all the non-parents were enjoying watching the parents squirm.  It was Maddie and Caleb who ventured too far into TMI territory.  Again.  Maddie really reminds me of those married Duggar girls - rubbing into the spinsters' faces that they are having God approved, and parent endorsed, sex.  A lot.  And enjoying it. 

They were so obnoxious last week. If Janelle didn't give up her Yurt for Maddie & Caleb to have sex because they have to let everyone listening that they NEED TO HAVE sex...most eyes would have been on Paedon.

I would have told them to go rent a room at the nearest motel...on their own dime & keep the details to their own grown selves... 

• Love 10

Apparently no one else enjoyed the first hour, but I did.  This is the type of thing I've always enjoyed about the family.  Having fun, razzing each other.  A release of the constant tension that makes me uncomfortable.  This is exactly the type of light hearted activity that will help Mariah and Meri become comfortable with each other again.  

Kody seems to know Meri best of the wives.  She just glowed when talking about their past, and realized Kody remembers that stuff, too.  She's totally in love with him again.

Christine is definitely the #1 sex wife.  She's totally in love.  

Tony and Mykelti are completely simpatico for such a new couple.  Maybe Mykelti got it right after all.

Maddie and Caleb are cute, but their low energy and personalities make them seem like an old married couple.  

The clip show proved once again how cute the girls were in their naturally blonde hair.  Maddie looked good with the black hair when it was in a bob.  All the teens were significantly thinner, with more stylish hair cuts.  Who'd have thought Utah is more trendy than LV, at least for plygs.

• Love 16
32 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Maddie is getting on my nerves with all the sex talk. I don't know why she's comfortable saying things in front of her parents, especially her dad. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with my kids talking like that. Like I know they do it. I don't need to hear about it like it's cute. 

The parents should say easy does it with the sex talk around all your younger siblings. It's like here's Caleb! Perfect perfect perfect. That was easy. So run don't walk to the alter...then SEX! It's magical! Once you have it...you'll never want to stop! But...of course everyone in the family expects  you have to be married to have the magical mystical SEX. 

Then Tony took the expressway to Brown family perfection...

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 2

I think Mykelti is trying to get Christine to stick a fork in a toaster by saying that she'd be open to being a SW with a few of her BFFs. 

I doubt there would be a line forming to be married to Tony & the thought of dealing with Mykelti as SW #1 to  former Catholic present Mormon possibly future polygamist Tony...is enough to send Christine over the edge of Red Rock mountain. 

Robyn chimed in that Mykelti never ruled out being a SW. Two seasons ago (on the Tell All) Mykelti stated she would never get married & wanted to adopt children on her own.

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 3

The main problem with game night is that there was a full frigging hour of it. I've got no issue with a non-retrospective light hour of Sister Wives with games of fun, but one hour of the same game, which was basically polygamy vs monogamy Newlywed Game was too damn much for me and frankly, not all that interesting after the first 20-30 minutes. No thank you. 

Well, look at that, newlyweds have and enjoy sex. As I live and breath, I never expected such a thing. 

I deleted the show after I realized hour 2 was about Robyn. I've seen 'The Dark Wife Rises' play out in real time so I don't need the clip show. Although, I do wonder if they showed the scene of when Robyn slapped all her bills on the kitchen table the minute she became wife #4. That scene just always reignites my hate with the heat of a thousand suns. 

I can't believe Maddie is pregnant so soon after her wedding. If Maddie gives birth at home in her bathtub, no doubt TLC will be at the shallow end of the tub filming it. I'm tentatively happy for her but also disappointed. 

• Love 18

It makes me absolutely stabby when Kody boasts that he has like 89 years of marriage experience... no douchecanoe, they are all running co-current you don't add them all up as separate marriages. I know someone will probably argue that they are 4, different marriages... but the way I see it is when you have kids and you count the years experience parenting you have most people just say whatever the oldest's age is, you don't add each child's age, like my my sister is the oldest, she's 37, so in theory my Mom would say she has 37 years as a parent, but by kodys theory my mom would have 101 years of parenting experience (I'm 34, and my brother is 30)... it doesn't work that way, you can't have more experience than you are years old! I don't know why this bothers me so much but seriously when he says it I get so angry. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

Apparently no one else enjoyed the first hour, but I did.  This is the type of thing I've always enjoyed about the family.  Having fun, razzing each other.  A release of the constant tension that makes me uncomfortable.  

I enjoyed it too. We seem to be pretty alone in our thoughts though. Lol. 

• Love 11

2 hours of mind numbing, brain cell killing, airtime padding TV pablum, UGHHH.  I wouldn't have lasted through it without falling asleep if not for the spreadsheet I was working on.  It functioned like background noise.

Hey, at least this week's show was only 2 hours long instead of 3, so there is a bright side, LOL!  Plus the words "season finale" are on the horizon.  Thank sweet Jesus, we'll be free at last!

21 minutes ago, leighroda said:

It makes me absolutely stabby when Kody boasts that he has like 89 years of marriage experience... no douchecanoe, they are all running co-current you don't add them all up as separate marriages. I know someone will probably argue that they are 4, different marriages...

Kodouche doesn't want to admit that each of his marriages are really 1/4 of a monogamous marriage.  He still thinks he can use his own brand of moronic math to uphold his delusions.

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

The main problem with game night is that there was a full frigging hour of it. I've got no issue with a non-retrospective light hour of Sister Wives with games of fun, but one hour of the same game, which was basically polygamy vs monogamy Newlywed Game was too damn much for me and frankly, not all that interesting after the first 20-30 minutes. No thank you. 

Well, look at that, newlyweds have and enjoy sex. As I live and breath, I never expected such a thing. 

I deleted the show after I realized hour 2 was about Robyn. I've seen 'The Dark Wife Rises' play out in real time so I don't need the clip show. Although, I do wonder if they showed the scene of when Robyn slapped all her bills on the kitchen table the minute she became wife #4. That scene just always reignites my hate with the heat of a thousand suns. 

I can't believe Maddie is pregnant so soon after her wedding. If Maddie gives birth at home in her bathtub, no doubt TLC will be at the shallow end of the tub filming it. I'm tentatively happy for her but also disappointed. 

Your post cracked me up. Especially the bit about tlc filming from the shallow end of the tub. Lol. I've no doubt.

• Love 1

So the monogamist couples beat the polygamist couples by a mile.  They know each other much better than Kody and his four wives know one another, and they've only been in each other's lives for 1/10th of the time (or 1/78th of the time, according to Kody years).  That kind of sums it all up for me, folks.  

• Love 19
3 hours ago, leighroda said:

It makes me absolutely stabby when Kody boasts that he has like 89 years of marriage experience... no douchecanoe, they are all running co-current you don't add them all up as separate marriages. I know someone will probably argue that they are 4, different marriages... but the way I see it is when you have kids and you count the years experience parenting you have most people just say whatever the oldest's age is, you don't add each child's age, like my my sister is the oldest, she's 37, so in theory my Mom would say she has 37 years as a parent, but by kodys theory my mom would have 101 years of parenting experience (I'm 34, and my brother is 30)... it doesn't work that way, you can't have more experience than you are years old! I don't know why this bothers me so much but seriously when he says it I get so angry. 

Because he has no marriage experience? That's what bothers me. Almost anyone else has more marriage experience then him. Going to another wife when one is mad at him? Doing nothing to help fix the problems between Meri and Janelle or Meri and Christine? Ignoring his wives when Robyn became his favorite? Doing nothing to fix the problems in his marriage with Christine or Meri if we're to believe they've had problems for 12 years. Having secret lunches with a prospective wife number 2 being wife number 1's back? 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Swim mom said:

What god tells you to do something that hurts another person?

I suppose it would be the kind of god who would tell a woman to suck it up, it will make you a better person and besides, you get to heaven IF your husband calls you - not through any sacrifice on my part.  Yeah, THAT god.

• Love 4

So, this episode has taught us that a couple of barely-adults who've collectively known each other for what - five years, tops? - know each other better than this pack of frauds who have been together 20+ years. Okay, then. 

I mean, seriously, no more hating on Mykelti and Tony. They know each other DAMN well. (Although, I'm still a bit skeeved out by her "protection" needs.)

Overall, I thought the game was a fun idea. I always loved "Th Newlywed Game" and it gave me A LOT to snark on. Mariah and Aspyn seemed to be having a ball, and it was great seeing the younger generation outshine the older ones. 

I had to roll my eyes when Kody balked at playing on 4 separate teams with each wife. "They'll be comparing answers". They compare EVERYTHING! Stop trying to act like this cohesive unit, because you're not. 

Look at his answer to getting a 5th wife - "We've been though this enough". THROUGH THIS. Like it's cancer or something. Being married to these women is "getting through" something? Lovely. Notice only Jenelle was open to it. I bet she thought - "even one less day he comes to my house, yes!"

I laughed so hard thaty she couldn't remember her first kiss with Kody. He could. He remembered the electricity. (There was electricity? ) But all she remembered was the car. Bahahaha, Jenelle. I'll eternally love you for that blow to his ego.

And, of course, Meri had to take the opportunity to be a total Debbie Downer, play victim, and make everyone feel sorry for her. "We haven't used our pet names in years, waaaaah". Just use the one you used to say and move on with the game. Or did you legitimately forget, because you could only rememeber your pet names for Sam?

Neverrrrrr needed to know about "Fart Man". I could no be married to a man like that. 

Oh, and the call from Garrison at the beginning of the episode was nice. He sure has come a long way. He used to be such a little punk. He now seems very mature and thoughtful - asking the others how THEY were doing, making sure Mykelti feels important because of her upcoming wedding. I wish him the best.

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, Coffeegirl said:

I missed all the fun and games, I had better things to do, like suffering in bed with the flu, couldn't even be bothered to hit the PVR button.

Suffering through this crap is WAY worse than suffering with the flu.  Good call to ignore it.

17 hours ago, ginger90 said:

No, no...THEY will laugh.  THEY will laugh and laugh and laugh and try to make us non-plygs feel like we are missing out on the everyday wackiness that is the plyg life.  Remember middle school?  Remember how a group of girls would start to laugh in an over-the-top way when someone walked by that they were trying to impress - in the way of "ZOMG we are having SO MUCH FUN and our silly, hysterical laughter proves that we are super cool and exclusive and fun" - THAT is what the Sister Wives do, all the time.  Couch sessions, game night, those crazy times when they try to assemble the entire fam'ly to go to a movie - the laughter is not genuine, it's for their viewers.  They hate each other.  Period.

12 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

There Kody goes with the"I have this many years of marriage experience!" just because he is married to four women.

That whole, "I'm a polygamist" schtick once again.

NO NO NO.  Kody married Meri (just Meri) for, let's say, three years.  Then he married Janelle for, say, two years.  When Kody married Janelle, each of Meri's years was halved.  When he married Christine, each of Meri's years was divided by 1/3.  Janelle's years were always halved, and then one-thirded when Christine came along, etc.  So in reality, KODY, you have not been married for 154 years or whatever.  You'd have to do some serious fractional division to come up with the real number, which as an English major, I cannot do.  Also, I don't care.

11 hours ago, toodles said:

You're welcome.  If it's half as good as The Crown, I'll be happy.  Browns at the very bottom of my viewing list.

(oooh, really?  I have been looking for something to binge-watch until baseball season).

I deleted this episode after the knee-slapping hilarity of the Polygamist Newlywed Game.  There's only so much fun I can handle in one evening.

+++++++1 to @islandgal140 for "The Dark Wife Rises!"

• Love 11

I threw up a little bit picturing Maddie and Caleb "practicing making babies" - her with her awful grey roots and him with that scraggly beard, balding head and beer gut, ugh!

Thanks TLC ....

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, MV713 said:

I threw up a little bit picturing Maddie and Caleb "practicing making babies" - her with her awful grey roots and him with that scraggly beard, balding head and beer gut, ugh!

Thanks TLC ....

Seriously.  Why does Maddie look so rough at 21?  Aspyn and Mariah are also 21 and look their age.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Nowhere said:

How do the wives legally change their name when they're not legally married. In order to get a new ss card, don't you have to prove either marriage or divorce? 

I changed my legal first name several years ago.  All you need is the court order with judge's signature to change your name.  You take that to SS, and they'll change the name on your card.  And the court procedure is just to legally confirm that you're not changing your name for reasons of fraud, etc.  I'd love to have been a fly on the wall, watching Sobyn (pre-divorce) explaining to a judge why she was changing her last name to the last name of her part-time sleepover buddy and babydaddy.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

I didn't have a problem with this at all, mostly because my daughter announced her pregnancy in July and she'd only gotten married in May.  Her goal was to get pregnant as soon after the wedding as possible and was even hoping to do so on the honeymoon.  Her first one was born the following March.

5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Almost anyone else has more marriage experience then him.

8 hours ago, leighroda said:

It makes me absolutely stabby when Kody boasts that he has like 89 years of marriage experience.

It would be fine if he'd been even remotely successful at it, but no.

2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

And, of course, Meri had to take the opportunity to be a total Debbie Downer, play victim, and make everyone feel sorry for her. "We haven't used our pet names in years, waaaaah". Just use the one you used to say and move on with the game. Or did you legitimately forget, because you could only rememeber your pet names for Sam?

Did anyone notice her original answer was that there was no longer a pet name, but then when Kodouche returned, 'Lover' was written on her paper and that was the accepted answer?  Crap, she can't even tell him to his face that he's a loser.

This house is a football house, so thanks to the ice storm and the change in schedule, I had this on DVR.   Once the second hour was revealed to be yet another clip show, I hit pause, back and then delete.  No need for that nonsense.

Can't imagine what the big cliffhanger will be to entice us into the next season, if there is one.  I don't think Maddie was pregnant yet.  Anyone know anything about the ratings on this snoozefest?  Are the numbers there to warrant another season?

• Love 4