Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: The Newlyweds vs The Browns

• Start Topic

On 1/17/2017 at 7:35 PM, Adiba said:

Because that's the beauty of polygamy-- Kody's bad moods are multiplied, not divided ;)

What would really bother me is if I were in a plural marriage and got my husband on a bad day, and the next day he's over it and happily goes off to wife number whatever in a good mood--I'd feel cheated, especially if the reason he was in a bad mood in the first place had nothing to do with me and was because of another wife.

I am monogamous and hubby still comes home in a bad mood.  I love him so I accept, but it's hard not to take it personally.  So I get Meri on this point.  

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Oh wait  the MAD TV had a married couple who called each other lover and were in a hot tub all the time.  

SNL, right? Will Farrell and Rachel Dratch. I thought of them right away when Kody and Meri were talking about "lover." Bleh. 

I just cannot fathom how the SWs sat through that game, rife with reminders that Fartman is sleeping with them all. And then watching Meri watching the Robin and Kody Show - heartbreaking. How does this "religion" have such a hold on them, that they think they must live through and batter down perfectly normal feelings of jealousy and the pain of loneliness and neglect? "He's only here every fourth night but when he is, he's fully engaged!" Wow. Lemme just ignore the hickeys and whatnot from last night's wife. At least he takes really thorough showers with his scrub brush and scrubs the hell off of everything. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I must rewatch the series unless some kind soul remembers which episode this was.  I do not remember this but I would like to see it.  That takes some balls.

Mariah looks a lot happier.  Maddie really does not look like she used to.  It must be all that sex ;).  I think Aspyn is the prettiest daughter.

It occurred in season one, but I don't remember which episode.   Robyn told Kody she had bills that needed to be paid, and he told her to put them on the counter.  They seemed to have an agreement in place - why not she was part of the show - and seemed embarrassed to ask that her bills get paid.   IMO, she deserved an equal cut of the show profits as the other wives, especially if rumor is true and the show was only green lit d/t the new bride. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I've been on the planet for a long time and had two husbands but have never heard anyone ever call their spouse or even their lover " lover".  It's a name I would think would not sit well with the sister wives. 

Yea, I wonder when this nickname came about. It's almost like, "You may be his wives, but I'm his LOVER. He comes to me to get what he can't from you two."

• Love 7
On 1/16/2017 at 10:48 PM, Roslyn said:

Robyn only said they didn't have pictures of the two of them.  That isn't true.  At some time they had a whole spread of just Kody and Robyn with her in her wedding dress and him in his tux, some with that little white car of his.  When they show on screen in her bedroom the blow up of the car photo is on her wall.

I did a double take at the TV when she said that! A google search of "Kody Robyn Brown Wedding" brings up several posed pics of just the two of them with Robyn in her wedding dress.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I just cannot fathom how the SWs sat through that game, rife with reminders that Fartman is sleeping with them all. And then watching Meri watching the Robin and Kody Show - heartbreaking. How does this "religion" have such a hold on them, that they think they must live through and batter down perfectly normal feelings of jealousy and the pain of loneliness and neglect? "He's only here every fourth night but when he is, he's fully engaged!" Wow. Lemme just ignore the hickeys and whatnot from last night's wife. At least he takes really thorough showers with his scrub brush and scrubs the hell off of everything. 

Thank you. This is exactly what the show and the Browns all try to pretend doesn't exist, while the audience is fully aware that it DOES exist and is what most of us want to hear discussed - as in, what the hell is that really like and how the hell do you women stand it?

ETA: But the show producers are 100% aware of this, hence The Newlywed Game which was designed to rip the lid off of at least some of the denial.

Edited by okerry
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, OtterReality said:

I did a double take at the TV when she said that! A google search of "Kody Robyn Brown Wedding" brings up several posed pics of just the two of them with Robyn in her wedding dress.

I thought she meant she didn't have those kinds of pictures taken at the wedding, in the presence of the other wives.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

It occurred in season one, but I don't remember which episode.   Robyn told Kody she had bills that needed to be paid, and he told her to put them on the counter.  They seemed to have an agreement in place - why not she was part of the show - and seemed embarrassed to ask that her bills get paid.   IMO, she deserved an equal cut of the show profits as the other wives, especially if rumor is true and the show was only green lit d/t the new bride. 

I guess there should be SOME compensation for having to live with Fart Man even if its only 1/4 the time.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I just cannot fathom how the SWs sat through that game, rife with reminders that Fartman is sleeping with them all. 

Did they ever show Kody and the wiveseses answer the question about what Kody likes to do with each of the them when they are alone?

I remember Maddie and Caleb ("practice making babies" ugh!) but I don't remember hearing the others answer.

9 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Did they ever show Kody and the wiveseses answer the question about what Kody likes to do with each of the them when they are alone?

I remember Maddie and Caleb ("practice making babies" ugh!) but I don't remember hearing the others answer.

I don't think we heard it, unless the answers were so innocuous that I already forgot. I actually could not believe daughters would ask anything so potentially double-entendre. Barf!

• Love 1

Sorry I haven't posted sooner, but I've been busy processing the truth I'm living and validating everyone else.

Ugh.

And speaking of therapy, do any of them realize how absurd they sound bragging about how great plural marriage is for relationships in the same breath that they admit they all need therapy in order to "dill" with each other?!?!?

Also, was it just me, or did the Robyn clip-show acknowledge quite a bit more friction than they've admitted before?

• Love 5
On 1/17/2017 at 9:55 PM, CofCinci said:

Also, did anyone catch Christine's reaction at one point when Robyn and Kody got one right? I think it was done as a talking head with Kody, where Christine talked about that moment, then said she was really happy about that because Robyn and Kody haven't been seeing eye to eye or connecting for MONTHS.

I thought she said they'd "been off" for the last four days.  But I might've misheard.  At any rate, the shade thrown abides.  Same with (in maybe the clip hour?) they were talking about how hard it's been to have to see Kody and Robyn be "affectionate".  Kody defended himself by saying he's been "affectionate" with all of them on camera.  Christine responded "yeah, maybe twice"

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Ha ha I noticed Tony (in his introductory  scene)   & Robyn (in general)  both saying "wiveses" 

Two peases in a pod. ?

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 6

What about Christine identifying with ELSA from Frozen. "You girls don't even know what it's like hiding your whole life!!!“ I think I got a headache from how hard I rolled my eyes. 

Meri/Kody's cheesy nicknames reminded me of Sex and the City - -  HELLO LOVER. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Oh wait  the MAD TV had a married couple who called each other lover and were in a hot tub all the time.  

That was SNL with Will Ferrell and Rachel Draco and was HILARIOUS. 

18 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Robyn looks 7 months along in her outfit.  

And Meri resembles like a raggedy homeless person in her outfit. Just give her a shopping cart and she'll fit right in with the rest of the transient population here in town.

• Love 6

Oh great. Someone  brand new to  ask Meri about the  Catfish . This is like the third Tell All that they'll be filleting the situation. ?

Dang Meri...how many LuLa Layers can be worn at once? 

Can't wait to see the "matching"  leggings.

Maybe a  pyramid penis & pizza slice print. 

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 4

Looks like Meri is looking to the Duggars for fashion advise.  She is wearing the infamous mustard sweater.  Along with everything else in her closet.  All at once.  

She sells fashion for a living?  Huh.

• Love 3

So I was setting up the DVR to record this week's advertised season finale.  It reads as follows, for a two-hour broadcast:

"Tell All Part 1:  The Browns discuss the season's moments."

Yep, they aren't even pretending anymore.   Nothing intelligent or new to offer, so we will just get a re-hash of the stuff that was uninteresting the first time.

why bother?

• Love 4

Seriously. We've heard this term "tell-all" for years. Nothing is told!  One is literally so lonely that she's carving her Internet boyfriend's name on her arm and gets on the "tell-all" couch and spews the same shit we've already heard. 

• Love 6
On 1/20/2017 at 6:31 PM, Alapaki said:

I thought she said they'd "been off" for the last four days.  But I might've misheard.  At any rate, the shade thrown abides.  Same with (in maybe the clip hour?) they were talking about how hard it's been to have to see Kody and Robyn be "affectionate".  Kody defended himself by saying he's been "affectionate" with all of them on camera.  Christine responded "yeah, maybe twice"

I feel like Christine was kidding/not kidding with that comment.  Like they had been answering questions wrong.  

16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

A radical proposal here;   Boycott this crap episode and drop the ratings as a message to TLC about the constant replay of old and tired scenes.  Just sayin'.

Boycotting  will never work they will just rebrand the show just like they did with 19 Kids and Counting now known as Counting on.

• Love 3
On 1/19/2017 at 9:41 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

SNL, right? Will Farrell and Rachel Dratch. I thought of them right away when Kody and Meri were talking about "lover." Bleh. 

Yeah, this is always tough for me. I know several people who are in polyamorous relationships in which they either have multiple long term life partners or are free to date whomever alongside a primary partner. Very different from "swingers," etc. They also have jealousy and work through it. I am very jealous so would never want to do it. 

However, seems to be different in a few ways...1) they all have equal rights to other partners and it's not gendered. One woman I know has a legal wife and a man she considers her husband in every way but legally, and both the wife and husband have outside dating lives with both men and women. So it's not an inherently patriarchal, heterosexual arrangement that basically suggests women are inferior. 

2) it's not religious. They've decided those relationship patterns work for them and they can love more than one person. If they were to go outside their arrangements, it *would* be cheating, it's not a free for all but very organized. But there's no religious pressure to get into eternal heaven with your partners. Divorce is an option and God isn't involved. 

3) They don't have to creepily hide their affection from the others. That suggests a major insecurity and basically a desire to be monogamous from all the wives. 

4) it isn't all about making babies, so there's no disproportionate attention to spouses with more kids. That breeds resentment. 

So while I'm all about choice and not being judgmental, it seems like without those factors, Mormon polygamy will always be unequal and inherently unfair, unlike other kinds of multiple partner arrangements or life choices. I'd feel more accepting of, say, a group of three people who all wanted to marry each other and more willing to think that legislation should allow them to do so if it wasn't based on religious pressure and male dominance in every way. 

I have a hard time feeling bad for the Brown women in particular because all of them seemed to go after Kody pretty aggressively, so they definitely made a choice. They also all proclaim to belong to this religion and believe it wholeheartedly, and they are on a show about being proud polygamists. So I don't feel too much sympathy for them in particular. But this is one unhealthy relationship arrangement. And many people don't have the power and resources the Browns would have if they wanted to leave. I feel bad for them. 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, toodles said:

Looks like Meri is looking to the Duggars for fashion advise.  She is wearing the infamous mustard sweater.  Along with everything else in her closet.  All at once.  

2 colors that do not go well with Meri's complexion: Mustard yellow and olive green. And yet she wears them ALL THE TIME. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Boycotting  will never work they will just rebrand the show just like they did with 19 Kids and Counting now known as Counting on.

But I don't watch Counting on either.  I think it is awful that those folks are even still on after all their revelations.

Could I watch a re-branded Browns show about Maddie and Mykelti?  Yes, as they are entirely more likeable, more honest, more engaging than their parents.  I appreciate their relationships as more genuine.  I wish I could care about Meri's daughter, but she is just so awful to her mother, right or wrong, that I have no interest in her.

I do not care about the nincompoops that represent the 'adults' in this show.  Were it a scripted program with actors in these roles, the show would have been shot down for poor writing.  

I fully plan to ignore tonight's broadcast.

• Love 3
On January 20, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Alapaki said:

They count, and keep score of each and every crumb. Especially Christine. 

On January 20, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Sista Snarky said:

Ha ha I noticed Tony (in his introductory  scene)   & Robyn (in general)  both saying "wiveses" 

Two peases in a pod. ?

Omg! I never caught that! That's just beyond. Like "ingredientses"-tm Teresa Guidice

• Love 1
On January 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM, toodles said:

Yup. She sells fashion and Janelle sells health & fitness. And Robyn sells her own designed fugly jooree. 

I refused to watch the "all about Janelle" thing since I'm sure I have seen it all before. Kody comes across as so mean sometimes, especially when he puts on his beady eyed stare. I do believe Meri really loves the kids (and him), and that is her reason for staying. Kody's "no shackles" was another variation on don't let the door hit you on the way out. I wonder if he really cares for any of his wives. The whole damn family is dysfunctional: they don't work, the women are depressed, I have zero idea what Kody does all day. The kids seem alright but I wouldn't put it past some of them to try to jump on the polygamy wagon to get another show going. 

• Love 2