Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Lying Detective

Wow, so many twists and turns! Loved this ep. And they certainly made use of Toby Jones' teeth to good effect. He looked positively fang-y in some shots.

So the meetings with the IVs: were they showing that he did this on a regular basis (the confessing bit)?

• Love 8

I loved this episode - miles and miles better then the premier. The premise was fantastic, I loved all the twist and little nods to my favorite dominatrix on tv - she is neck and neck with Lady Heather.

28 minutes ago, StatMom said:

So the meetings with the IVs: were they showing that he did this on a regular basis (the confessing bit)?

I would assume so. He just NEEDED to confess his brilliance to others and found a perfect way to make that confession short term. The man's glee at the thought of eternal infamy was just infectious. Jones was fantastic in this part - I was so not looking forward to this episode, the preview was boring but it delivered big time.

So, the bro is a sis. I wonder if she knew and worked with Moriarty or just used him to confuse and blind Sherlock/Mycroft for her great game.

Edited by tanita
  • Love 11

My hubby figured it out -- late in the game, but before it was revealed. Indeed, as soon as she revealed that she was the one Sherlock had spent the evening with, hubby was like "ohh... I got it... secret SISTER!" 

I was unconvinced, I thought whoever it was was just a Moriarty plant. But... he was right.

So, are we now to reason that SHE was responsible for the Moriarty Miss Me video in the first place? It never was Moriarty at all, it was her, using Moriarty's image to get his attention. "Did you miss me, my brother?"

To my own credit, I figured out that Mary's "go to hell, Sherlock" meant "drug yourself into danger so that John has to save you" well before it was revealed. But... darn it, I still only got there after hubby said "this was all his plan... he told John he wasn't going to like it!" That was as soon as Sherlock started brandishing the scalpel...

Edited by tankgirl73
  • Love 5

He! Have to give it to them - that was great. Best episode in a long, long time. I even liked how Mary was inserted into the episode and the reveal about her message to Sherlock.

I thought it odd when Mycroft was told spook-central lost visuals on Sherlock while he was leaving rude messages all over London. But that seemed to imply that Miss Culverton was just a hallucination - but she was real, well played show. Looks like Sherrinford was in cahoots with Moriarty who must have known about Culverton - or maybe she figured it out on her own? And why did she text-seduce Watson? Whatever Mycroft did to make sure Sherrinford was 'secure' must not have worked. That should be getting interesting.

Loved Mrs Hudson - that was a great episode for her. The car chase and the Sherlocknapping were already great but outsmarting Mycroft, now that's an achievement! I'd say she's the episode's MVP.

Also: damn, Sherlock - call her!

(As for the shameless bromance pandering at the end: that should provide endless material for a particular sort of fan-art.)

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 15

I didn't guess until long into it that it was going to be their version of "The Dying Detective"  - stupidly didn't twig to the title clue or the villain's name.

Edited by Pyralis
  • Love 1

Heehee... I've started re-watching the episode already, in order to see how it all fits together after the 20/20 hindsight. Therapist scene... girl in 221B scene... it's now PAINFULLY obvious that it's the same actress, the same voice... and yet I'd totally honestly missed it the first time.  Well done, show. Disguising the same actress in THREE different parts and none of us (or at least very few) were any the wiser. I'd even noted how the girl-on-the-bus so strongly resembled Zooey Deschanel (and all the other Hollywood girls who look like her), and yet didn't see it at all with her in this episode... the shade of lipstick, the hair, it's amazing how much we really don't pay attention, especially when it's just a side character.

But what really amuses me right now, in the scene with her in 221B where Sherlock is deducing things before he figures out why... he's slow to catch up with his brain heehee... I loved it the first time around. This time I noted when he touches her shoulders and says "coat". She doesn't have one, he's only just noticed that and he wonders why that is. It reminded me for all the world of "yellow".  When Arthur Dent keeps seeing the bulldozer out his kitchen window or reflected in his shaving mirror, and his brain gives him "yellow"... searching for a concept to connect with. Coat. Yellow. Reason for noticing the fact? That will come later!

• Love 16

Things that change meaning when you know she's the sister:

"Oh, Big Brother is watching you"

"Who's this one? This is a new person. I'm against new people."

Paranoid conspiracy theory #1: Mary was working with Euros the whole time. Evidence: Mary's CD says "miss me" -- she claims in order to get Sherlock's attention. But if indeed "miss me" was always Euros' calling card and not Moriarty's (ie, she faked Moriarty's video address in the first place) then perhaps it was Euros' idea to put it on the CD. In this CD, Mary tells Sherlock to 'go to hell', and to antagonize some Big Bad in order to put himself in enough danger that Watson will come to save him. Conveniently, a big bad comes along, right on schedule. But... who delivers the news about the Big Bad to him? Euros. Why would she do that? Indeed... she says at the end that she got the letter from Culverton himself. Why did he give it to her? It sounds like Culverton and Euros were in on it from the beginning, to get Sherlock involved. Culverton's motivation is easily enough explained -- to get the 'cereal killer' publicity. That should have been a clue from the beginning -- Sherlock had been played, but how did Culverton know Sherlock was going to come along and call him a serial killer exactly then? I did wonder about that at the time but assumed it would be made clear and forgot about it.

Anyway. Was that the end of his motivation? Or was he always hoping it would end up with Sherlock as his latest "anyone"? He seemed far too eager to play along with Sherlock's antagonising... almost confessing, teasing, acting creepy... what if it was all part of the game? He and Euros together working to trap Sherlock into a dangerous, deadly situation... with Mary's help, to send him there in the first place. Of course, in order for the most brilliant sleuth in the world to not recognize his own sister, it would be helpful for him to be rather high, so that was part of Mary's instruction. Mary also repeats the word "anyone" in the instructions, helping plant that important clue concept in his brain for later as well.

Which... paranoid conspiracy theory #2: Mary's not dead. She faked her death in order to launch this whole game, to drive John to needing Sherlock to save him by putting his life in danger. It would explain why she moved faster than a speeding bullet in order to take the bullet and 'die'. Which could mean the secretary was also in on it! Why she would willingly set herself up for arrest etc? Well maybe she was being threatened by the real Big Bad... her family would be in danger... sacrifice herself by playing the role of the traitor, and assisting with Mary's fake shooting...

Which... paranoid conspiracy theory #3: The real traitor was that Lady all along. The one who is now hitting on Mycroft. The one who knows about Sherriford (code name for Euros?)  The one who, perhaps, is also working with Euros, to get Mycroft into whatever dangerous long game scheme she has going on already with Sherlock.

Hm. Interesting.

So WHY would Mary be in on it? Well, maybe she was always Bad and just wanted Sherlock dead. But she did love John in some way, so this was a way to accomplish that without having John deal with the hurt of knowing his beloved wife killed his best friend? The goal would have been for Culverton to successfully kill Sherlock -- happy ending for everyone involved in the conspiracy.

ETA: just realized another oddness. In the scene where they find the CD, Sherlock has stabbed it to the mantelpiece because it's an "unanswered question". What question does he have about it which is unanswered? It's Mary giving instructions to him about John. So... he's wondering if she's really dead? What her real motivations are?

Edited by tankgirl73
  • Love 7

See, I figured Culverton sent the girl to goad Sherlock, but I didn't think she was a fucking Holmes. So John's got the hots for a Holmes, the shippers are going to have a field day with this one.

Episode MVP: Mrs. Hudson. That woman was fucking fierce.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

How did they get me with the "brother is actually a sister" thing twice? First Harry now however you spell her name...AH!

I had sorta clued into the fact that the actress was all 3 characters (mainly, bec, bad wigs!) but not to her being a Holmes sister.  But because of this ^^^ it really induced more of an eye roll than anything else.

• Love 3

Great callback to ASAP, where Sherlock assumes Harry is John's brother... "Sister! There's always something."

She's dead, and somehow there was still too much Mary. Hopefully she's fully at rest now. Molly and Lestrade have become afterthoughts.

I didn't care for all the Mycroft hate from Mrs. Hudson. What was he doing that was so awful? 

• Love 9

The first twenty minutes was so convoluted.  I didn't know why Mrs. Hudson broke every speeding law to reach John, why Sherlock spent 10 minutes on how the letter reflected the sun, and why he was walking up walls.

The show only settled when they met Culverton.  He was very creepy.  I'm surprised the hospital staff stayed there so long.
I was not expecting the lost Holmes sibling.  I only realized the annoying voice of the psychiatrist was Sherlock's visitor at the end.

John's speech about the cheating felt very meta, that must have been awkward to shoot.

Edited by peridot
  • Love 6

I also wanted to mention how much we all loved his speechifying about suicide... your life is not your own. Your death happens to everybody else. Our family has been very affected by suicide so this was heartbreakingly beautiful. And how he took her gun as payment.

On rewatch, I'm noticing all the split second cutaways. I mean, I noticed them before, but didn't grasp all the meanings of them. For instance, the very beginning, the firing gun... we think this is the gun that shot Mary since right away we're seeing John at the therapist talking about it. But at the end, we find out that it's the gun that (apparently) shoots John. The first time we see it, the image slowly moves up -- as though the person watching it is falling down. Ouch.

But also, in that scene where Sherlock is talking about suicide, there's a flash of that gun again... when he's explaining that your death happens to other people. Foreshadowing that John is actually going to die? They couldn't possibly do that... but that they think he's dead for awhile? Or near death?

Then there's another flash in the same scene. When he's wigging out and trying to put together 'someone' and 'anyone' (which she oh so cleverly feeds to him), he screams, and amid all the other flashes of words on the letter, there's a brief scene of children on a beach with a dog and a nursery rhyme song being sung by a child. We all know that there are hints of the secret brother, by this point, so we get excited and think it has to do with that, we're going to learn more about Sherriford... But WHY does he have this flash right now?

Well his brain works awfully fast. Mayhaps he was starting to recognize his sister's voice after all, but hadn't quite realized it yet. And unfortunately, he collapses completely before finishing the thought.

• Love 7

I thought this one meandered a bit at the beginning as well and it was certainly convoluted, but there were some good scenes, and the ending was sharp.  I did not expect it to be a sister, and a middle sister, I suppose.  I've had a theory that Sherlock's mother was secretly Moriarty when his father revealed at Christmas that she was a mathematics professor, but having it be her daughter works for me.  I'll be interested to know Euros's backstory. 

The part I liked best about Mrs. Hudson taking matters into her own hands was the 'my husband was a drug dealer and I own property in central London' bit to clarify that she is in fact rich.  Mycroft was dismissive of her in a previous episode and I think that fed into her referring to him as a reptile.

Toby Jones was fine, suitably weird and sinister.  I like him much better when he's being Lance on the Detectorists.

• Love 6

After that dismal episode last week, I enjoyed this weeks immensely. I loved Dead Mary and her interaction with John, I loved that there was a case that paralleled the canon-Dying Detective and that John and Sherlocks feelings were discussed. Everything made sense at the end and that evil Moffat cliffhanger...

But seriously PBS, blanking out cock and shit? It's 9pm after watershed! I'm back in the game and the show!

• Love 8

I'm guessing Sherlock had some trauma when young with Redbeard and the young Eurus. I'm also guessing that Sherringford is the mental hospital where Mycroft/Elder Holmes put her. But I think an Army doctor could disarm a female with a gun? 

• Love 7

Not a cinematically beautiful episode (as I thought ep 1 was,) but meaty & I don't know how else to say it. Always enjoy how this show blurs lines between reality and hallucination. Not too much Mary for me, thought it was just right but then I like(d) her. Appreciated John's confession, even if it was manipulated & ended up being about girl-on-a-bus-creepy-man's-dtr-psycho-psych (jeesh) Perfectly creepy villain. Gasped at psych-counselor reveal. Love being surprised. Interested about any Mycroft/top-secret-Lady relationship. Now THAT seems fantasy to me. I am being strung along and enjoying every minute of it.

• Love 3

I didn't like the Toby Jones case and the camera focusing on his teeth, but the secret Holmes sister made up for it. I do want an explanation for why Sherlock did not recognize his own sister. Even drugged up the man is brilliant so how are they rationalizing this?

I did like Mrs. Hudson's Aston Martin. Hopefully now that Mycroft is getting some, he will pull the stick out and chill.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

I'm not sure that I can be coherent about my thoughts on the episode as a whole just yet, but some plot points that stuck out to me on first watch that have got me thinking:

(1) What was with the nurse at the hospital making *such* a big deal about how she loved Sherlock's blog, until she knew that John wrote it?  Then she said that it had gone downhill a bit.  And the very next scene showed a tepid response to John's introduction after the crowd was excited about Sherlock.  This is 180 degrees from past episodes where people are excited to meet John and know that it is his blog.  (Dr. Frankland (sp?) from Baskerville, and Harry from Buckingham Palace.  Also Irene Adler to a degree.)  That felt important somehow.  I'm still hung up on the fact that in real life, they updated John's blog until this season, and then stopped.  I'm missing something here.

(2) The Mary in John's head made a big deal about the deerstalker hat.  At the end of the episode, Sherlock put it on, then said something about how Mary called for it.  Sherlock never heard those pronouncements from Mary:  and the real Mary never said that she liked the hat.  There's something odd about that.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Tardislass said:

But seriously PBS, blanking out cock and shit? It's 9pm after watershed! I'm back in the game and the show!

At least two (maybe three) of those edits were "tits" -- as in, "tits up" for one of them. That's what the BBC feed had, anyway.

And another one: PBS had " C K  Y O U" whereas  BBC had "U C K  Y O U" on Mycroft's tracking screen.

Edited by StatMom
Another example of edits
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, StatMom said:

At least two (maybe three) of those edits were "tits" -- as in, "tits up" for one of them. That's what the BBC feed had, anyway.

Ugh especially since we have a PEOTUS who has said worse. 

• Love 8

Loved it, so much better than last week. I liked Mary, so I appreciated that she had a presence in this episode. 

I feel silly for not having realized the same woman was on the bus, and the fake daughter, and the therapist. 

How did she know that John had guessed that Sherlock had a secret brother? John only said that to Mycroft, right?

• Love 4

Michichick I was just wondering the same thing. And I checked on rewatch. Only Mycroft -- and the boys in the room cleaning up.

I also just noticed that she said, about Culverton, "a mutual friend put us in touch." So... next mystery, who is this mystery friend? Is it indeed Moriarty after all this?

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

So John's got the hots for a Holmes, the shippers are going to have a field day with this one.

I guess that I actually would fall into the shipper category, dampened by the fact that Moffat and Gatiss said in interviews a few months ago that nothing will ever happen between Sherlock and John on this show.  But like, the ending of this episode suggests some things beyond just John falling under the spell of another Holmes, and maybe this is all just one subtextual possibility, but ....

Why exactly are we bringing up Irene Adler again?  John is pushing and pushing and pushing for Sherlock to admit feelings for Irene (which is odd because we were talking about Mary before, and now we are shifting to focus on Sherlock's romantic feelings).  John says to go for it before it is too late, that Sherlock should get a woman to make him want to be a better man in the same way that Mary made John want to be a better man (which, honestly, I'm like--John, my dude, you've never been worse, but okay, you do you).  John says that romance will complete Sherlock.

And what does Sherlock do with that statement?  If you listen carefully he starts to say that John is the one who makes him want to be a good man.  Sherlock says that John is doing himself a disservice because Sherlock has "few friends" and "can safely say that y--".  John cuts Sherlock off here.

So the possibilities for me here are that:  Sherlock is actually sincere in saying that he wants no romance and John's friendship fulfills that hole in his life that John seems to think that a romantic partner would fill, or ... the romance he wants is with John.  Maybe that question was answered tonight, I don't know.

• Love 13

I did realize that the same person was both the woman who visited Sherlock as well as the therapist, but I had lost the plot a bit as to how those two things could be connected by one person.

So is Sherrinford her name? Or a place? 

• Love 2

Her name is apparently Eurus, as she explained that her parents loved strange names for the kids. Sherrinford is presumably the institution she was kept in. Guess she escaped. Has Lady Smallwood been keeping Mycroft distracted?

• Love 6
Just now, Eliza422 said:

I did realize that the same person was both the woman who visited Sherlock as well as the therapist, but I had lost the plot a bit as to how those two things could be connected by one person.

So is Sherrinford her name? Or a place? 

Her name is Eurus or Euros. Speculation is that Sherringford is the hospital or sanitarium where she was at. If you notice, Mycroft's notes all say call Sherringford-probably for updates.

• Love 3

I was blindsided by the "sister twist" 5 seconds after she said it lol

The whole reveal scene i was looking for Andrew Scott's features under makeup LOL (yeah i REALLY want him back in this show haha)

loved this episode. my eyes got watery few times. Filming of Sherlock tripping and catching up with his brain was awesome.

They won't kill John, right? right? they can't... i mean... ughhhh! one more week lol

• Love 6

She said that Euros means "east wind". When Mary shoots Sherlock and he goes to his mind palace, Mycroft tells him something like "the east wind is coming for you". I'm guessing that meant Euros.

Edited by Daisymom10
  • Love 9

"There's an east wind ..." is what was said when Sherlock flew back from his short exile (and reprieve). I, too, thought for a hot second that Moriarity was under there somewhere (when the contact lens came out), and he may be involved in this after all (albeit, not anymore).

Meanwhile, this makes up for last week and then some. I complain about the long waits between seasons because the leads are busy acting elsewhere, this ep would explain why that is.

ETA: I'm not a student of Doyle's novels, but I was curious about the root of the Holmes' first names and ran across

Spoiler

"Doyle had originally named his character Sherrinford Holmes."

So Steven and Mark did their homework it seems. (I'm hiding that info, just in case.)

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

Does everything have to boil down to sexual attraction and hidden desire?  I sure hope not.

Of course not.  It is the dialogue of the show itself, though, that is inviting the discussion of romance.  When Sherlock says, "Romantic entanglement, while fulfilling for other people," John literally finishes the sentence by saying, "would complete you as a human being."

Now the answer has to be that either the character of John (into whose mouth the writers are inserting words) is right about that or he is wrong about that.  It's the show that is inviting the consideration.  That's not subtext:  that is just text.  It came up in Sherlock's own imagined conversation with John in "The Abominable Bride" too.  (The "impulses" conversation.)  Why do the writers take us here?

• Love 6

I thought this episode was miles better than the last one. And I think because for a good chunk of it, they were back to basics - John and Sherlock working on a case. That partnership is what makes this show sing, and it's been sidelined for too long. I'm glad they didn't drag out the reconciliation and by the end they were solidly back in each other's orbit.

I do wish, however, that this show would (at least once in a while) allow something to simply be what it appears to be rather than all part of some clever plan on Sherlock's part. He can't sadly say goodbye to his only friend at the end of season two because he knows he's about to cause him a lot of pain, it's gotta all be part of an act for the plan. He can't go off the rails in this episode because with Mary's death and John exiting his life he's lost his support system - it again all has to be part of some sort of great plan. Just let Sherlock have flaws and human moments. At least at the very end they allowed the moment where he comforted John to be just that and not part of some grand scheme. 

While last week I poo-poo'd the idea that John's chippie from the bus was a relation to someone, I did pick up on the whole thing pretty early in this episode, so the ending was not a surprise. They did a good job of changing up the actress's looks, but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me (mean, I know, but...yeah), so I instantly saw that chippie, therapist and psycho's daughter were all the same actress. And during her evening with Sherlock she gave it all away when she said she was surprised that Sherlock was nice. That's when I was all, "Okay, she knew him. Secret sibling is a sister." I figured too that she was probably up to no good. 

I'm not a JohnLock 'shipper, but at the end of this I was all, "Honestly, I think things would just be a lot easier for John if he'd just hook up with Sherlock. He already married the female version of Sherlock. Then he went and cheated on her with actual Sherlock's sister. Just go straight to the source, man. Your life will be a lot less complicated."

Toby Jones' character was clearly a direct riff on Jimmy Savile, which...gross. Especially when he kept going on about how the morgue was his favorite room in the hospital. 

Mrs. Hudson is awesome. Molly STILL gets this episode's shittiest task handed to her (Here, Molly - you be the one to tell Sherlock his BFF doesn't want anything to do with him. Hey, Molly. Drive out here and be the one to confirm that Sherlock is destroying himself!).

Lady Smallwood, you can do better. Mycroft is kind of a turd. 

• Love 10

Okay, I don't normally toot my own horn like this, but I'm feeling positively Sherlockian right now, because last week I posted this in the Speculation thread:

What if Sherrinford is the redhead on the bus? 

Okay, that's a crack theory. But I'm leaving it here anyway.

But I will freely admit I didn't guess the redhead on the bus was also the therapist.

• Love 18

That's all I needed.  Watson and Sherlock together in scenes.  I did not realize the therapist and daughter were same person.  I did think Sherlock was delightful with her.  He WAS nice.  

I do hate tweaking Sherlock however.  But if he is off the drugs in the last ep, it is good.

I am a bit bummed they didn't use the kids at the hospital more.  Sherlock with the kid in the wedding was the best.

• Love 3