Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Embarrassing the Sister Wives

• Start Topic

Its in St George which according to AccuWeather is at this moment a bracing 44 degrees with a real feel of 36 degrees and 12 MPH winds. 

Memories are made of this... Or at least third rate reality TV that will be aired probably sometime in July 2017. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Or at least third rate reality TV that will be aired probably sometime in July 2017. 

With a lot of hand wringing and high drama about how the weather (cold in December, who woulda thought?) threw a monkey wrench in the carefully laid plans.  Hysteria ensues as a venue must be located that is inside and free and large enough to accommodate the 400 guests.  Kadoofus, as High Priest on Earth, attempts to take charge, issuing inane orders right and left as the bride weeps and the groom mumbles unintelligible between breaks to shove food in his mouth.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, even the southernmost areas of Utah are in the 40's today. Not sure who is out wearing shorts and in bare feet but I doubt that tweet makes sense.  And why is Aspyn calling Mykelti "my baby"?

It's seriously cold in Vegas today too. 46 with a freeze warning tonight! Often people arrive here in winter, see Mount Charleston and they're like, "there's SNOW?" We rarely get it in the valley but it's not sunny and 70 degrees all winter, as people mistakenly assume.

Top of the mountain is all snowy white from yesterday's storm!

• Love 3

Jeez, criticizing little kids' looks is lowest of the low to me. I think Truely is adorable.

Tony and Mykelti should be ashamed of themselves. I cannot believe how brazen they were in asking for money. Um, you're a grown adult technically. You may not have the money to fund a wedding, but you should take that as an indicator you're not ready to be married period. You can't support yourselves yet. Wait a few years, find some solid employment, then get married and start a family. I think Mykelti is really pretty (so is Aspyn, for that matter). She can do so much better. Ugh.

Aspyn is calling her "baby" because it's a term of endearment....

Why hasn't Meri left already? She's clearly miserable and it's not going to change. I don't like her much, but I really feel for her. I think she'd be sooo much happier, and consequently a better human being, if she left that garbage fire (Kody).

Edited by corinnemchugh
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Well, good luck to them.  I have a feeling they'll need it.

Usually I'm inclined to say that a girl "deserves better" if she's with a douche, but at this point I'm not sure what either is offering. 

Something to think about: can you imagine these two cooking at home, or living everyday lives together? It's actually really hard for me to imagine the two of them holding down jobs or raising a kid or even finishing school. Even going to the post office, for God's sake! I was immature and lost as a 19 year old too, but if I'd tried to get married my folks would have known enough to say "you're an adult but that is fucking stupid."

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

But she's only one year older, right?  What the heck?

Their mother was afraid of toasters and most likely cried every night that Kody wasn't there.  Someone had to take care of the children.

• Love 5

This blog where the catfish appears to be written by a man (Samuel). I thought Samuel was made up and the cat fish was a woman the entire time?

There is no Samuel.  The catfisher is a psycho woman named Jackie Overton.  She has a long string of convictions for conning people.   You'd think these grifters would recognize one of their own kind.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

Cold?  Nah.  It's -20 wind chill with snow.  She can handle 46.  Tony will warm her up later.  That's what he's for, right?

Right?  We have -40 wind chills forecast tonight and tomorrow. 

Eye bleach needed for that image. Tony just looks so....greasy.  

2 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Their mother was afraid of toasters and most likely cried every night that Kody wasn't there.  Someone had to take care of the children.

Now, I am afraid to leave our toaster plugged in.  The rule in my house is it must stay unplugged when not in use.  Google it!

But I am just a poor dumb monogamist so what do I know....

• Love 2

In the article she said she cannot wait to wake up in Tony s arms and feel safe. She is big on feeling safe.  I am not surprised to see she feels insecure. I have a hunch that is true with a lot of the kids. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, what said:

Seriously...first dance to Bailando by Enrique Iglesias? 

What's wrong with that song? I'm never critical when it comes to wedding music. I've been a wedding DJ (side job, just for fun) and honestly if I could do mine over, it would be EDM themed with glow sticks.  To each their own when it comes to music.

• Love 4

You would think someone in that bunch (a sister?) would check the forecast and see that is was going to be cold and windy out. Mykelti should have been prepared (yeah, I KNOW....) with something pretty and appropriate to put on over her shoulders to keep her warm, instead of her fiance's jacket. But she will spin it that Tony "protected her" during the wedding, or some nonsense.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

This "feeling safe" thing is weird.

When you context her childhood, it's not that odd. One, they worried (inappropriately) that the authorites would split the family apart and throw their parents in jail. They were raised that every stranger knocking on the door was a threat.  Two, her mother was ducking nuts.  I imagine Christine called Kody over for every little crisis.  Christine's batch of children grew up without psychological safety and will make relationship decisions that meet that need. 

56 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

You would think someone in that bunch (a sister?) would check the forecast and see that is was going to be cold and windy out. Mykelti should have been prepared (yeah, I KNOW....) with something pretty and appropriate to put on over her shoulders to keep her warm, instead of her fiance's jacket. But she will spin it that Tony "protected her" during the wedding, or some nonsense.

Mykelti was forced to compromise with this wedding. So, she most likely knew the weather forecast but wanted to make a passive aggressive show of it.

• Love 4

I think it makes a lot of sense that they want to feel safe...The girls never truly had a father figure and their mothers were always insecure and fearful. 

I know the guys didn't either. I assume that's why several of them want to be involved in the military while the girls want immediate marriage. New/alternative family structures because theirs was crap.

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 6

I think it makes a lot of sense that they want to feel safe...The girls never truly had a father figure and their mothers were always insecure and fearful. 

Speaking of which, was there a toaster on her gift registry?

• Love 2

Any prediction's for tonight's episode?

Clips of Maddie as a young girl, maybe? With the Browns reminiscing.

The Browns reminiscing about their wedding day(s), AGAIN.

Maddie and Caleb talking about how they met.

The Sister Wives talking about how this is a monogamous wedding, and how Maddie will miss out on the benefits of plural marriage.

Then the last thirty minutes will be of the wedding itself, then the reception.

Just my thoughts. I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone else.

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
Grammar
29 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

When you context her childhood, it's not that odd. One, they worried (inappropriately) that the authorites would split the family apart and throw their parents in jail. They were raised that every stranger knocking on the door was a threat.  Two, her mother was ducking nuts.  I imagine Christine called Kody over for every little crisis.  Christine's batch of children grew up without psychological safety and will make relationship decisions that meet that need. 

Mykelti was forced to compromise with this wedding. So, she most likely knew the weather forecast but wanted to make a passive aggressive show of it.

I agree that is why Mykelti feels a drift.  And there are probably more reasons we could add to that, I think she is loaded. :^) 

The pic of her with Tony's jacket was probably just going from building to building or to the car where she left her coat. She thought she could make the short walk without it is my guess.  It is common for a man to offer a woman his coat/jacket and I am sure she appreciated the chivalry.  She felt cared for and safe.  :^)  I am not making fun of her.  We all have 'things' and it is good self care to place ourselves with people and in situations that feel good to us. 

1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

I was wondering the same thing. It's St. George in December, of course it's going to be cold. They made her wait until December so, everyone gets to freeze. 

Unless of course they rented those tall outdoor heaters, which are popular out here (but they'd need an awful lot for that many people).

48 minutes ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Any prediction's for tonight's episode?

Clips of Maddie as a young girl, maybe? With the Browns reminiscing.

The Browns reminiscing about their wedding day(s), AGAIN.

Maddie and Caleb talking about how they met.

The Sister Wives talking about how this is a monogamous wedding, and how Maddie will miss out on the benefits of plural marriage.

Then the last thirty minutes will be of the wedding itself, then the reception.

Just my though? I'd love to hear anyone else.

Wedding heavy presence.  

A snit about fishing.

Dad will be emotional, Janelle will not show it.  

Belly bucking, fist pumping and high fives on the elk cake between Kody and Caleb.  

Kody and Caleb have the first dance, not a dry eye in the house. 

Meri hooks up with a Mexican relative.  The sex was good, she says to no one, but we see her glow and giggle.  

8 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

I was wondering the same thing. It's St. George in December, of course it's going to be cold. They made her wait until December so, everyone gets to freeze. 

Unless of course they rented those tall outdoor heaters, which are popular out here (but they'd need an awful lot for that many people).

People who live in cold climates marry in winter all the time.  You hold your wedding inside, of course.  Bloomingdale Country Club was the venue. I guess 400 guests are pricey to accommodate inside.  Did they eat outside, too? 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Wedding heavy presence.  

A snit about fishing.

Dad will be emotional, Janelle will not show it.  

Belly bucking, fist pumping and high fives on the elk cake between Kody and Caleb.  

Kody and Caleb have the first dance, not a dry eye in the house. 

Meri hooks up with a Mexican relative.  The sex was good, she says to no one, but we see her glow and giggle.  

People who live in cold climates marry in winter all the time.  You hold your wedding inside, of course.  She did not get married outside!  Bloomingdale (?) Country Club was the venue.

I thought she had demanded an outdoor wedding.............

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

I thought she had demanded an outdoor wedding.............

I only remember her wanting to marry in a park in August.  The only reason I can think they had to marry outside is Tony's HUGE family pushed the guest list to 400!  We will see pictures at some point.  I am curious how all those people ate outside and what the hell they served. 

• Love 1

No one forced Mykelti to get married in December. They wanted her to wait at least 6 months from Maddie's, so they'd have the money (questionable, is TLC paying?) and time to devote entirely to Mykelti. She ended up compromising, but she could have waited even longer if she wanted an outdoor wedding. She could have done it Spring 2017. She could have done it a week BEFORE Maddie at the justice of the peace. Ultimately it was up to her, but you can't always have your cake and eat it too. 

I also get the desire to feel safe, but....um....why is TONY the one who makes you feel safe? He'd make me feel annoyed and slightly nauseated.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I agree that is why Mykelti feels a drift.  And there are probably more reasons we could add to that, I think she is loaded. :^) 

The pic of her with Tony's jacket was probably just going from building to building or to the car where she left her coat. She thought she could make the short walk without it is my guess.  It is common for a man to offer a woman his coat/jacket and I am sure she appreciated the chivalry.  She felt cared for and safe.  :^)  I am not making fun of her.  We all have 'things' and it is good self care to place ourselves with people and in situations that feel good to us. 

But it was their WEDDING, not the prom for goodness sake! She chose a gown with no thought to the weather or venue. Want to wear strapless or sleeveless dress in December? Inside venue. Want an outside venue in December? Have a shrug/ cape/ long sleeved gown. Seriously it reminds me of when I was a little kid and didn't want to wear a coat over my Halloween costume, so I froze my ass off to spite my mother.

Edited by MamaMax
  • Love 11
46 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I also get the desire to feel safe, but....um....why is TONY the one who makes you feel safe? He'd make me feel annoyed and slightly nauseated.

Her father is anti-Mexican. He feels threatened by Tony's type - so fearful that he trains with AR-15s. 'Merika, fuck yeah.'  She feels safe with what her father is intimidated by.  Her whole wedding theme was to rub her father's face in her new husband's heritage. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Her father is anti-Mexican. He feels threatened by Tony's type - so fearful that he trains with AR-15s. 'Merika, fuck yeah.'  She feels safe with what her father is intimidated by.  Her whole wedding theme was to rub her father's face in her new husband's heritage. 

Genuinely asking - where is this coming from? I don't doubt that there is some preference for Caleb because he comes from similar circles, even if he isn't a plyg himself. But I've never heard Kody, or any of them, say anything against Mexicans. I can see a parent being but off by his apparent immaturity and sloth, though. I actually think Tony is a lot like Kody, which makes me wonder why he'd make her feel so safe. 

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Genuinely asking - where is this coming from? I don't doubt that there is some preference for Caleb because he comes from similar circles, even if he isn't a plyg himself. But I've never heard Kody, or any of them, say anything against Mexicans. I can see a parent being but off by his apparent immaturity and sloth, though. I actually think Tony is a lot like Kody, which makes me wonder why he'd make her feel so safe. 

Anti-Immigration Tweets. 

15 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Anti-Immigration Tweets. 

You see, I had no idea.  This adds a whole new dimension to the entire situation.  I see why Kody worked hard at being petty and pushing Tony around and that part of the reason Mykelti chose him was an FU to dear old dad who couldn't be bothered to give her the time of day.  I totally get her wanting to feel safe and have some undivided (not multiplied) attention of one person.  I hope things work out for them and they grow up together and have a nice marriage, but I certainly worry from what I've seen so far. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

Can you link to the tweets?

I'm on bed rest right now with time to kill, so I figured I'd go over and see if I could find the tweets for you.  I don't really "do" twitter, but I have an account and last looked at things there over a year ago.  One of the few people I think I "followed" was Kody.  I have never - to the best of my recolletion - ever actually responded to anything in his feed.

So imagine my surprise when I got a message that I had been blocked!!!  I use the same Twitter name as my screen name.  Maybe he reads here and has been offended by some things I've said?  Oh well.  Sometimes the truth hurts.  HI, KODY!!!!

• Love 2

I went to his account to see what I could find on that topic. I've followed, mostly in the streams on CJ's site, and often found a lot of things that could be as much "Look at me!" attention seeking as anything else. What I find most appalling are the instances where he passes on things that demonstrate his tone-deafness (think comments about low-lifes who abuse the system and make others finance their laziness. Yes, really.)

I went back as far as I could stomach today, which got me to some extended pontificating about what a disaster Obamacare is. Now, we may have some differing ideas about that here. But you know who has no credibility, for me at least, on the topic? A jackass who has let some of his too many children almost starve or get so ill their organs start to shut down. Also not high on my list of people I don't want to hear from: those who eventually accept those services from hospitals and doctors and don't feel compelled to pay for them.

Now who comes to mind for you? ;)

Edited by RealityCowgirl
Typo
  • Love 17
On 12/12/2016 at 10:53 AM, Nancybeth said:

I think the Browns just need to lay down the law with the kids now..."We will financially contribute X amount to each engaged couple.  You can use it for a wedding, you can use it for a honeymoon, you can elope and use that money for a down payment for a house.  Realize that if you schedule a wedding too close to one of your siblings, we might not have the financial means to provide that amount exactly when you want or need it."  Done, end of story.  If each wedding turns into a negotiation, things are going to get ugly fast.     

This is basically exactly what my father did with my sister and I.  I had a 9 month engagement and was getting married in December when my sister, out of the blue (sort of like Mykelti) announced she was marrying a boyfriend she'd only been with a very short time. And she wanted to do it that same September!  My dad just said, "Ok, here's how much money each of you has.  You can do whatever you want with it, I don't care. But when it's gone, I'm done. You'll have to find your own funds after that."  Seemed reasonable and fair to me.

(BTW, we all predicted her marriage wouldn't last since they'd only been together like 2 months, but they just celebrated their 26th wedding anniversary, so . . . weird things sometimes happen).

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 6