Type keyword(s) to search

Chip & JoJo: It's All In The Family

If there's ever a "celebrity Survivor" Chip needs to sign up because he'd totally win the "eat disgusting things" challenge. I'm surprised he doesn't get sick.

I guess everyone ELSE getting sick somehow takes care of it. I wonder if he (or Joanne) have ever given thought to at what point would he consider it going 'too far' re his consumption to chance his own kids emulating- ,coal slurry,nuclear waste  or Ebola patients'  dressings?

• Love 2

Chip trying to be funny every week is so annoying. How about every other week? STFU! Do your work and you might get done earlier to spend time with the kiddos. Just saying! That said, the house turned out really nice. The front porch looked great and the table that Clint refurbished looked amazing.

Hubby and I only started to watch this in the last couple of days. I wish to God that the hosts would stop referring to the clients/participants as "guys" or "you guys"! If the hosts are indeed pushing the 40 year mark in age it should be possible for them to speak in a more mature mannner with a better vocabulary. I love the work they do. It would be even more effective if they would speak in a more intelligent, age appropriate fashion.

Hubby and I only started to watch this in the last couple of days. I wish to God that the hosts would stop referring to the clients/participants as "guys" or "you guys"!

It's not even "you guys", it's "yous guys"

Me and a bunch of family are going to Waco this Saturday from Ft. Worth. Can't wait! My sister went before the silos were open but she knows where all the good shops are - love the show and the Gainses'...he grew up in a suburb of Ft. Worth but I think she is from Waco. They have helped stimulate Waco economically and created lots of jobs. We are going to look at houses when we are there....more tire kicking than serious but you never know!

Edited by cjzee
  • Love 4

Chip needs to tone it down.  I'm getting really tired of his antics.

They had to play with the formula and make Chip so goofy this season.  I wish they'd stop doing that.  He was just goofy enough last season.  Now he's verging on annoying.

"Verging"? I came here just to see if he was always such a honking man-child -- I've only seen a few episodes. I would have sworn "Chip" (which, please) was dropped on his head as a child. Possibly repeatedly. Is it the producers' intention to convince viewers that there's something seriously wrong with him?

• Love 2

Every time I see Chip go off on another tangent (really -- a blue chainsaw for your client's house because it's "beachy"? Really?) I hear the Rock Trolls from Frozen singing "He's a bit of a fixer-upper!"

That's just me, right?

• Love 2

Chip and Jojo are featured in the newest HGTV magazine.  They do a 'day in the life' with them.  What kills me is they say that Jojo regularly makes hot breakfast for everyone, AND, she usually cooks dinner.  What!?!  With the show and the store and everything else, and getting by on about 5 1/2 hours of sleep a night!

With my new celebrity and I assume money, I'd absolutely have a housekeeper/cook. At least a few nights a week.

I guess the magazine feature is about as 'real' as some aspects of the show.

• Love 3

Chip and Jojo are featured in the newest HGTV magazine. They do a 'day in the life' with them. What kills me is they say that Jojo regularly makes hot breakfast for everyone, AND, she usually cooks dinner. What!?! With the show and the store and everything else, and getting by on about 5 1/2 hours of sleep a night!

With my new celebrity and I assume money, I'd absolutely have a housekeeper/cook. At least a few nights a week.

I guess the magazine feature is about as 'real' as some aspects of the show.

That could actually be true. Now that she's big enough, she has assistants and employees handling the businesses enough to where she's home for breakfast and dinner. I also bet she has a personal assistant do all her shopping so she's not actually grocery shopping for everything.

That could actually be true. Now that she's big enough, she has assistants and employees handling the businesses enough to where she's home for breakfast and dinner. I also bet she has a personal assistant do all her shopping so she's not actually grocery shopping for everything.

Well, I haven't read the article, but I can believe it for entirely different reasons. Some folks have to be busy all the time. All those kids are are old enough to help, even simple things like setting the table and doing the dishes would help prepare meals. My parents raised 5 kids, and by the time we were all in school we all had chores, including helping cook dinner. Finally, just turning off the tv could give her a big chunk of time.
I've never ever heard friends, family, or even acquaintances call their children "kiddos." Is that a Texas thing?

I always thought it was a Brooklyn thing.  My family was from there and "Kiddo" was my childhood nickname.  Dad still used it on me up until his passing.

I never thought it was used further west than NJ!

That could be true.  My bias is that I'd rather work and have someone else do the cooking!

Haven't seen the HGTV feature but I'd assume / guess they were discussing their ideal or preferred "day in the life".  One of the recent newspaper articles indicated they're up to 270 employees.  

It was also mentioned (somewhere in the press) that Chip's parents moved to Waco to assist with the family and her parents were already in residence, babysitting, etc.  And, IIRC, Jo's father is Magnolia's CEO. 

Chip's antics are too much. In one episode, Jo was sitting with a client and he comes up dressed as a swamp monster or something acting silly. The children were also hanging around. I find that to be pretty unprofessional.

I also think them bringing the kids to a work site and eating hamburgers or pizza on the new furniture in the newly renovated houses before the homeowners have gotten a chance to even see their new home, let alone have a family dinner, is unprofessional. 

• Love 3

I can't understand why Joanna has the kids come to see her with food when she's staging the place.  How long does it take to stage?  Can't she do it in the daytime so that she can go home to her family for dinner?

• Love 3

Chip's antics are too much. In one episode, Jo was sitting with a client and he comes up dressed as a swamp monster or something acting silly. The children were also hanging around. I find that to be pretty unprofessional.

I also think them bringing the kids to a work site and eating hamburgers or pizza on the new furniture in the newly renovated houses before the homeowners have gotten a chance to even see their new home, let alone have a family dinner, is unprofessional. 

The furniture doesn't belong to the new owners - it's from JoJo's shop and is used for staging. Obviously they think the kids coming over is part of the script for the show since it happens every show. Does it happen IRL? Who knows.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't understand why Joanna has the kids come to see her with food when she's staging the place.  How long does it take to stage?  Can't she do it in the daytime so that she can go home to her family for dinner?

One of the newspaper articles (IIRC) indicated Jo has 12 or 13 design assistants out of Magnolia's total staff, at last count, of 270.  So, you're absolutely right, it's a contrived scene for the cameras, using a near identical script each episode.  (Sorry I can't link - didn't save it.)

Staging time depends on both the # of staff involved and coordination of deliveries from multiple vendors for any non-Magnolia (loaned) items, among other factors.  The filming schedule* also dictates the staging period.  It's possible they need multiple days.  After taking all the various factors into account, including the home's sq. footage, they probably start from the reveal's scheduled date and time and then work backwards, reserving sufficient days on the calendar.

When Jo's on site, she's probably spending the majority of her time filming b/c each scene must be filmed from every angle.  So, if she's painting a furn. leg (happened with one of Clint's pieces, IIRC), they film her painting that same leg from each angle.  Then, the design assistants take over and paint the rest!   

Besides filming, I'm sure she supervises her staff to insure that the final product reflects both her written staging plan and overall vision.  If anyone's working late, it's probably the staff, for starters!  If it's a priority for her, then she can make it home for dinner!

Chip/Jo, HGTV and the production company inserted that scene before Season 1, Episode 1 in order to introduce and reinforce their family oriented brand.  Doesn't everyone agree, after 3 seasons, it'd be nice if they'd alter the script?  Please, please, please producers! 

The short answer is, IMHO, yes, as the boss, you bet she can get home for dinner!

*ETA:  The filming schedule might be the most significant factor b/c HGTV production companies typically film 4-6 episodes concurrently. 

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3
(edited)

The furniture doesn't belong to the new owners - it's from JoJo's shop and is used for staging. Obviously they think the kids coming over is part of the script for the show since it happens every show. Does it happen IRL? Who knows.

Until very recently, Jo's biz primarily offered smalls - that is, lighting and accessories / tchotchkes.  Her furniture line was scheduled to be available for sale in either January or March, this year.  (BTW, I checked out the photos this week but don't know if they actually met that scheduled opening date.)  

ETA:  Here's some furniture photos but still couldn't find a grand opening (for furniture) at the Silos:

http://www.magnoliahomefurniture.com/style.aspx?catid=6

Looks like they missed the March, 2016 opening, however.

This last season, Season 3, I recognized many pieces in the episode reveals that will be available in her line.  She probably had samples in advance of the opening for marketing purposes.  For Seasons 1 and 2, I assume she borrowed furniture pieces from various vendors.  

Jo wasn't a stager, a separate branch of interior design - so, although she had a large warehouse of items, the reveal items were (most likely) on loan.  Incidentally, some of the HGTV reno programs have ongoing contracts with various advertisers so their reveals typically feature their merchandise.  Occasionally, you can spot an Ikea episode - or whoever.

I'm sure we all hope and believe that the Gaines private family life reflects their public brand.  (We don't know for sure, however.)  If so, like other families, I'd bet the kids visit her work but not on each Magnolia job.  And, it's probably after school or whenever it's convenient for either Chip or, more likely, the grandparents and other child care providers.  Evenings / dinnertime, if they're like most parents, the kids follow their bath and bedtime schedules.  That's my guess, anyway.

P.S.  It's kinda' fun, if you're waiting somewhere or have a few spare minutes to check out the furniture items and recall their episode.  For example, everybody remember the art table Jo designed for that craft room.  IIRC, it was the Baylor football player, shoe closet, episode.  Oh yes, it's in the line!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

Chip and JoJo have purchased a 110 year old estate and its adjoining two acres. You gotta hand it to them..moss doesn't grow under their feet. This will probably be THE wedding venue for Baylor brides.

The link below does have an annoying pop-up ad but click to exit. Also, be sure to click on the you tube link in the middle of the article for a tour of the house. Surely they aren't going to go in and put up a bunch of ship lap??!

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/magnolia-and-fixer-upper-juggernaut-buys-historic-hillcrest-drive-estate/article_b1e84b59-1cc1-5501-8f5b-c24c159538dc.html?mode=jqm

• Love 2

That house and surrounding grounds are gorgeous and it's obvious the previous owner is a real interior decorator. It will really be a shame if JoJo and Chip f*ck it up.

Had the same thought, CruiseDiva.  I'll bet they used another straw buyer - as they did with the vacation rental / "B&B".  Can't help but wonder how the previous family will feel if/when their lovely estate receives the Magnolia makeover!

• Love 1
That house and surrounding grounds are gorgeous and it's obvious the previous owner is a real interior decorator. It will really be a shame if JoJo and Chip f*ck it up.

The video's been taken down, so I guess the door is open, sts. Perhaps they'll find it "dated?" I don't mind Jo's work because I have the super power to block out all the kitsch. Yeah, I know, what's left? But I've seen a couple of houses whose owners knew her style and asked her for something different, which she mostly delivered.

I love old houses because I like "dated." I don't appreciate modern houses that all look alike and are cheaply made. Being Chip and Jo, they will probably give this authentic Greek Revival an OPEN FLOOR PLAN and remove most of the old detail unless, of course, it has shiplap beneath the "real" walls. Then they'll install a tension wire railing and marble countertops. No thanks. 

• Love 2

The video's been taken down, so I guess the door is open, sts. Perhaps they'll find it "dated?" I don't mind Jo's work because I have the super power to block out all the kitsch. Yeah, I know, what's left? But I've seen a couple of houses whose owners knew her style and asked her for something different, which she mostly delivered.

Primarily the mid-century, right?  Yes, she did it.  The f/p was nice but the reno felt stilted, somehow.  It felt as if she was out of her element, knew it, copied a few mcm standards from an interior decorater's text somewhere and finished it.

IIRC, after doing the kitchen and greatroom, she gave up and reverted to farmhouse on the nursery and master.  Didn't she pull out the barn door for the en suite?

If I saw more examples, I'd probably revise my opinion.  Don't know but it didn't seem free-flowing and natural, to me.

ETA:  When they toured with David, the single guy, they looked at a mcm but he didn't select it - or, I should say, it wasn't the home he'd purchased prior to filming.  Her plan for that decoy home looked suspiciously like the other home.

Edited by aguabella

Color me shallow, but I love practically all the clothes that Jo wears.

You're in luck!  Well, I don't know about the clothes but you can definitely purchase some over-priced accessories from the Magnolia website.

Everything's for sale and about the Magnolia brand with these two - even their kids.  (Talking about brand happy family not to mention the oldest son's swag, worn each episode.)  Sorry but it's starting to nauseate me.  JMHO

• Love 1

And YET more products for Magnolia...paint, rugs, pillows:

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2016/04/kilz-is-making-magnolia-home-paint-by-joanna-gaines-the-latest-from-hgtvs-fixer-upper-star.html/

I've always wanted a room painted in ship lap.

I am just stunned at how popular her style has become. I can drive down the street to Homegoods and find very similar pieces.

Remember that one episode where they walked into Homegoods and the large clocks and all that junk was prominently displayed upfront?  That was probably S2 - I'll bet their agents lobbied hard to eliminate outside sponsor episodes from S3.  With a top-rated HGTV program, they'd have the pull to eliminate them from their contract.

They're definitely following the HGTV branding program, ala Prop Bros, et al.  I checked and sure enough, their book will be out in October, IIRC.  Available for preorder today on Amazon!

Kinda' funny - Amazon lists the authors as Chip and Jo "plus 1 other" - or something along those lines.  Only Chip and Jo deserve identification?  Can you say, "ghostwriter" !!

Don't forget the wallpaper, Spunkygal !!  Everybody notice that at least a couple of those last few episodes included wallpaper?  Hmmm, a clue!  Yep, it came on the market right around that time.

Forgive my sarcasm.  As previously mentioned, it's getting to be too much for me!  I've officially reached Magnolia brand overload, lol!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

They are rivaling Martha Stewart with all their merchandise lines, not to mention the B&B and the historic estate on 2 acres which I suspect will be Magnolia Weddings. Maybe next will be joJo's clothing line.

• Love 1

Shiplap shiplap shiplap. Old fences and doors nail gunned to a wall for absolutely no reason (and I'm sorry but it's such a hideous trend). Ugly barn doors in almost every house (I've seen this done well but not on this show). I feel like I know what every house is going to look like before they've even started renovating. Her "style" is incredibly specific.

• Love 4

I hope doofus Chip has the sense God gave a duck (to quote granny) and keeps all the Baylor apparel out of sight this season. If he doesn't, then he and his handlers are complete and total morons and needs Shiplap where the sun doesn't shine.

Sincerely, Spunkygal, an ashamed Baylor alum. 

• Love 2

Amen. Chip seems to think it's funny or cute or something to put a best-left-not-done physicality out there. Probably left over from his frat boy days---dude, go demo something, those days are long behind you (don't need to see your behind, either).