Type keyword(s) to search

Chip & JoJo: It's All In The Family

I'm watching what must be a 2nd season episode, and Chip's teeth are now perfect and blindingly white. Joanna's are whiter than I remember from last season too. Two thumbs up for their dentist.

I think Chip had an eye tooth on the right that was uneven.  Bothers the heck out of my mom when she watches.  I think it's not that bad and it makes him look like a contractor versus a TV host (like those Property Brothers).

• Love 1

On the most recent show Joanna mentioned his dental work and, if I heard him correctly, Chip said something about his mother-in-law from China.

I think I remember him saying "that's the Korean way" or something, when Joanna asked the kids to remove their shoes one time before entering a reno.  Makes sense, her mom is Korean and her dad is American.

• Love 1

I agree. The thing is, Chip and Joanna are both quite charming in their own way. And it is refreshing when tv 'hosts' aren't all frenetic and in-your-face. So they really don't need to try so hard with Chip or overdo the man-child thing--they are a lovely couple in their own way and it is great to see the mutual respect they usually demonstrate for one another. I like their farm and their kids and animals too.

I can't believe I'm saying this...I guess I'm getting soft in my 'old age.'

• Love 7

The latest promo for the show is odd. He's talking about how much he loves her and how she's the best and she's pretty. She talks about her work, although she says "realitor" (there's no "i" in realtor). It's just a bit too sappy and doesn't speak to his work.

• Love 3
(edited)

Always wondered what Joanna's ethnic mix was. I just read that her mother is Korean, her father is White.

Joanna's father is HALF-German/HALF Lebanese, her mother is Korean.

As for the show, I like it just as it is. I think the mix of construction, interior design -- and just a peak into their lives -- is perfect. I watch design and remodeling shows for design and remodeling -- not the personal lives of reality show characters.

Edited by selhars
  • Love 5

I would watch a reality show with Jo and Chip without any or little of the building aspect.  I want more of Jojo's business, the kids, animals and the farm.

Funny, I watch a home reno show to see the reno part. I'd love to see more about the construction and renovation, not the kids, the farm, the birthday party, the local antique shops (so Chip can act goofy), etc., etc. More houses, less hijinx. I like the kids, the farm, the store... but that's not why I tune in.

• Love 8

The latest promo for the show is odd. He's talking about how much he loves her and how she's the best and she's pretty. She talks about her work, although she says "realitor" (there's no "i" in realtor). It's just a bit too sappy and doesn't speak to his work.

I came here to comment on this exact same thing. It bugs me every time I see the commercial. I know a lot of people pronounce it wrong, but it still bothers me when that is part of their profession.

• Love 4

I'm watching less and less of HGTV and this show is right  up there at the top of my can't watch it list.

Is this a design/decorating show or a promote my kids show? She's always dragging people over to her house to look at her stuff...really? And her kids. I get it. She has kids but how unprofessional to drag a handful of kids under ten to a job site.

If you really watch you'll see that Chip doesn't really do much.

Enough with promoting this show. I don't want to watch it. I wish they'd stop shoving the commercials down our throats.

• Love 4

I'm watching less and less of HGTV and this show is right  up there at the top of my can't watch it list.

Is this a design/decorating show or a promote my kids show? She's always dragging people over to her house to look at her stuff...really? And her kids. I get it. She has kids but how unprofessional to drag a handful of kids under ten to a job site.

If you really watch you'll see that Chip doesn't really do much.

Enough with promoting this show. I don't want to watch it. I wish they'd stop shoving the commercials down our throats.

I'll continue watching for the design but agree, enough of the personal garbage and constant self-promotion.  Curious if Clint Harp's contract specifies that he's allowed to wear his t-shirt and they won't blur it out!  Is it 1 Harp project per episode plus a certain # of airtime minutes??  I like him but the last episode, assuming I counted correctly, included 4 product placements:  Jo, Clint, sign guy and Chip2 from Dallas,   Enough!

It's obvious they're HGTV's current darling so they'll keep pushing it and pushing with marathons every other day and constant commercials until this family's completely overexposed, ala the Property Brothers!

You're correct about Chip's work.  He's the "talent" so the only thing we can be certain he's done is whatever's actually shown on screen.  It's reality television, i.e. not real.

It appears the network's attempting to satisfy a certain demographic.  Don't know the stats WRT their viewers but guess tptb must.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

I watch this show with one eye, and the other on Pinterest, but could someone please remind me of the episode where they talked about their church or their religion? 

I watch this show with one eye, and the other on Pinterest, but could someone please remind me of the episode where they talked about their church or their religion? 

I've never heard Chip or Joanna talk about their church or religion.

• Love 2

I remember during the early episodes, them saying that this client, or that client were from their church.

• Love 1

I was so curious about Joanna when I started watching. She has such dark features, the children are all blonde. Slowly, I stopped caring. I saw a rerun with an Asian grandmother in it, figured that was enough of the story for my interest. Later, I found it refreshing that they never talk about ethnic or cultural backgrounds. Joanna is obviously american or was raised with an american dialect, same seems true for Clint, so be it.

I like the idea of a blended family just being american. Growing up mixed race, each family focused on the "half" of me that didn't belong. I'm still trying to find that zipper that splits me down the middle.

• Love 7

I never would have guessed that, somehow in my mind I've been thinking of her as being at least partly Native American. 

(edited)
(tiny voice)...I don't mind Chip's goofiness

He can be very funny, actually and sometimes he makes me lol. It only bothers me when it's over the top (e.g., eating the cockroach) or when it ventures into the Chip the man-child territory, and that's just because I'm not fond of the trope that men are all little boys at heart and it's the woman's job to be the grownup and keep them in line. Regardless of gender I think we all have an inner child who likes to come out and play periodically, and I'm fine with that (in fact, pretty childish myself) but I also love to see men who are grownups and couples who have equal partnerships represented on TV. It seems like Chip and JoJo have a really good working partnership going and I like it when that comes through.

Edited by BBDi
  • Love 8

He can be very funny, actually and sometimes he makes me lol. It only bothers me when it's over the top (e.g., eating the cockroach) or when it ventures into the Chip the man-child territory, and that's just because I'm not fond of the trope that men are all little boys at heart and it's the woman's job to be the grownup and keep them in line. Regardless of gender I think we all have an inner child who likes to come out and play periodically, and I'm fine with that (in fact, pretty childish myself) but I also love to see men who are grownups and couples who have equal partnerships represented on TV. It seems like Chip and JoJo have a really good working partnership going and I like it when that comes through.

Agree, plus it feels as if tptb decided to take it over the top in Season 2.  A little goes a long way, IMHO.

It appears tptb have significantly shortened / edited out other parts of the episodes to make way for the Chip comedy hour.  Even though I'm not a fan of the house hunt portion, in general, I dislike the way they've shortened it to only include the common areas plus mbr.  Would rather see Jo's sketch up of each home but that's JMHO.  Or, even better, how about more reno?

• Love 3

They seem like a nice couple, with a nice family.  But I don't need to watch the inter-action with the kids "at home", or what they do in their personal lives.  Too cutsy, too "I love you.... but I love you more!!".  The kids (being kids) are of course totally dis-interested, and the conversations seem so forced.  I love my husband and family too, but this isn't unique, nor do I expect the rest of the world wants to watch it.  

What I do want to watch is how they renovate the houses.  That is what I tune in for.

• Love 1

This is by far my favorite show ON HGTV. I love the interaction between Chip and Joanna, and I'm always impressed with the transformation of the houses. I usually am annoyed at shows that feature the children, but for some reason, seeing their interactions with the kids just makes me feel better about them.

We live in Dallas, not far from Waco. It's almost tempting to relocate there just to work with them. I said ALMOST!!

• Love 6

Funny, I watch a home reno show to see the reno part. I'd love to see more about the construction and renovation, not the kids, the farm, the birthday party, the local antique shops (so Chip can act goofy), etc., etc. More houses, less hijinx. I like the kids, the farm, the store... but that's not why I tune in.

Exactly.  This is the biggest turn-off for me.  I turn the channel frequently when they get to be a little too much.

• Love 1

My first thought when I heard references to Joanna's being Native American: "Yeah, Native American as depicted by Hollywood". 

I've seen some of the couple's commercials on HGTV. Someone, please make them stop. Gushing "my diamond in the rough" and his goofy "golly-gee whiz" smirk. Yech.

I've seen some of the couple's commercials on HGTV. Someone, please make them stop. Gushing "my diamond in the rough" and his goofy "golly-gee whiz" smirk. Yech.

Also interesting are Joanna's recent Wayfair commercials that are all over HGTV. I don't think I've actually heard her mention using furniture or decor items from Wayfair on the show, but I have seen in her blog that she sells items from her own store that I recognized from the shows and she mentions local shops where she sources items.

If this show becomes one long ad for Wayfair (like the beachfront flip show), it will truly jump the shark.

I'm new to this show, and I think Joanna is beautiful....but i just heard her say something about being 35 (older show) .  So I looked it up and she is 36 and Chip is 39. I nearly fell off my chair....I thought they were late 40s / pushing 50. Shocked.

ETA: Oops...new episode is about Chip turning 40!!! Then I'm assuming Jo is 37. They still seem a decade older......

Edited by drafan
  • Love 2

Also interesting are Joanna's recent Wayfair commercials that are all over HGTV. I don't think I've actually heard her mention using furniture or decor items from Wayfair on the show, but I have seen in her blog that she sells items from her own store that I recognized from the shows and she mentions local shops where she sources items.

If this show becomes one long ad for Wayfair (like the beachfront flip show), it will truly jump the shark.

Hey Cruise Diva,

Posting about this same topic on the other thread. 

I feel they already jumped that shark when they aired at least 1 Home Goods episode during S2.  Remember Chip/Jo walking into the store, immediately greeted by the large wall clocks plus other familiar items?

Given the overwhelming popularity of the first 2 seasons, 26 episodes and the time gap until S3, they must have signed a few promotional contracts. I'm afraid they will phase out the Waco antique shop scenes and air multiple Home Goods episodes, Wayfair specials and then, a lil Ikea for good measure?  Who knows ???

Question:  did Wayfair institute a limited edition, special Silo Tchotchke line this year, lol?

P.S.  I understand during 1 of the new episodes, Chip and Jo purchased and reno'd a local B&B.  Wow, more Chip/Jo branding, straight ahead!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I feel they already jumped that shark when they aired at least 1 Home Goods episode during S2.  Remember Chip/Jo walking into the store, immediately greeted by the large wall clocks plus other familiar items?

Given the overwhelming popularity of the first 2 seasons, 26 episodes and the time gap until S3, they must have signed a few promotional contracts. I'm afraid they will phase out the Waco antique shop scenes and air multiple Home Goods episodes, Wayfair specials and then, a lil Ikea for good measure?  Who knows ???

Question:  did Wayfair institute a limited edition, special Silo Tchotchke line this year, lol?

I'd forgotten about the Home Goods store visit. I think you're totally on target about the "multiple Home Goods episodes, Wayfair specials and then, a lil Ikea for good measure" and maybe they will toss in Target just for fun. Even my husband groans when their ads and promos appear.

The original premise of the show is gone and all we get are overblown commercials. Sad. The first season was interesting.

I only tune in occasionally but have been wondering, what happened to the two kids they adopted? You never see them on the show, at least not since they renovated their own home.

Probably working in the warehouse packing and shipping the Roman numeral clocks.

I have to admit that compared to that vocal fry woman who is married to Tarek, crusty Hillary, overly fake Jillian, and honey badger Nicole, Jo is pretty pleasant to watch and listen to. Her taste is pretty specific, But I like a lot of it. Much as I think Chip is a goober, they seem genuinely nuts about each other.

I'm new to this show, and I think Joanna is beautiful....but i just heard her say something about being 35 (older show) .  So I looked it up and she is 36 and Chip is 39. I nearly fell off my chair....I thought they were late 40s / pushing 50. Shocked.

ETA: Oops...new episode is about Chip turning 40!!! Then I'm assuming Jo is 37. They still seem a decade older......

They've probably spent a fair amount of time in the hot Texas sun. That will age you immensely.

I only tune in occasionally but have been wondering, what happened to the two kids they adopted? You never see them on the show, at least not since they renovated their own home.

I don't recall their adopting any children. Another Texas family, the Hatmakers, have two adopted children and their major renovation was a short series on HGTV.

• Love 3

I'd forgotten about the Home Goods store visit. I think you're totally on target about the "multiple Home Goods episodes, Wayfair specials and then, a lil Ikea for good measure" and maybe they will toss in Target just for fun. Even my husband groans when their ads and promos appear.

The original premise of the show is gone and all we get are overblown commercials. Sad. The first season was interesting.

So far, so good on the first two episodes of S3.  I know the promos from their external sponsors are coming, however.  They've used their extra time for the Silos and their oldest boy appears to be wearing Magnolia swag.

We forgot to add in the Chip/Jo B&B.  Anyone heard anything about that?  Apparently it'll be at least 1 episode this season.

So, they're mostly working on their own brand.  After the endless off-season HGTV commercials, video clips and contests, even though I never watch commercials (dvr), I couldn't wait for the damn next season to just start, already!

• Love 1