Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Go Getters

halgia
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

So true.  So far, I've been mostly bored by this season.  The only thing I'm looking forward to is the possibility of Maggie or Sasha killing Neegan.  I would settle for someone else killing Neegan, but I really really want Maggie or Sasha to torture and kill Neegan.

Actually, I am so fucking sick of Negan already that I will only be truly happy if his death comes at the hands of Eugene. Or Tobin. Or Olivia.

• Love 8

Well, as I figured, I vastly prefer Simon over Negan.  Sure, he's not exactly a layered or original character, but at least he's entertaining in the whole "Faux folksy and friendly" way, and Steven Ogg just seems to fit the character better then Jeffery Dean Morgan does (or the dialogue just isn't as long and ridiculous.)  Again though, a lot of it is likely just because I'll always have a soft spot for Grand Theft Auto V's Trevor!

Glenn and Abe are barely in the dirt, but Maggie and Sasha have already started some kind of quasi-family, with a kind of daughter (Enid), a cool, parkour dropkicking, hipster brother (Jesus), and.... err, asshole uncle that no one likes, but everyone puts up with (Gregory)?  Thanksgivings should be fun in that household!

Gregory might be a weasel and a half, but the man is good at sucking up.  And Xander Berkeley is never not awesome.  I hope he sticks around for a little bit longer, because he elevates the screen anytime he speaks.

Episode automatically looses a grade for all the stuff with Carl/Enid: especially the roller skating scene.  Sure.... just skate around and hope that you don't accidentally skate into a herd of zombies.  Idiots.

So, now Jesus and Carl have inadvertently teamed up, since they're both heading to Negan's lair.  Doubt anything will come of it.  Well, except, I can actually see Negan discovering Carl, and trying to find a twisted way to "mentor" him.  I feel like they're trying to set this up for their to be a question over if Carl actually kills Negan or ends up taking a shine to him.  Sounds stupid, but I can see it happening.

That second best episode this season (outside of the Kingdom episode), but this has been a pretty rough one so far.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2016 at 10:39 PM, easypeasy said:

I want Simon to be my Negan. He's an asshole, but I like him! I was on edge with Gregory during their conversation, and lol'ed when he grabbed all of the scotch to regift to Negan.

He was like a knockoff Walton Goggins.

My takeaway from this episode is that the Saviors pulled the ZA equivalent of setting off a car alarm in the middle of the night and most of the Hilltop folk did the ZA equivalent of rolling over and ignoring a car alarm in the middle of the night.

Anyone else suspect this abysmal season may be part of an effort to make Fear the Walking Dead seem interesting and exciting by comparison?

• Love 8

Not to be a stickler, but the music they played during the tractor/fire/walkers/Kung fu fighting scene was "Finlandia" by Sibelius, not anyone's 9th symphony. 

Edited to add: I think a really appropriate piece of music would have been "The Ride of the Valkyries" used in (wait for it) "Apocalypse Now." 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, KirkB said:

Negan and a chunk of his crew showed up at Alexandria. Where Rick had superior numbers (unlike on the road), fortifications, and an arsenal even Negan was impressed by. They could have unloaded on him and everyone there and killed the lot. Sure, some of them might have died too but that's part of combat. With the head of the snake and at least some of his lieutenants dead the rest of the Saviors would have been left without direction. Does that mean they'd be easy pickings? Maybe not. But it wouldn't be much more of a threat than what Rick has faced before. Alternatively, if Rick has been emasculated by Negan that he's decided to stop resisting all together, why not load up their cars and run? If they don't either fight or run this is going to be a pretty dull show from now on if it's nothing but Rick kneels before Negan.

Agreed. Rick & the gang killed hundreds of walkers last season when they broke through the wall. Now, they are acting hopeless. Rick was all gung ho to attack the Saviors last season without knowing how many there were or what weapons they had.

• Love 2

I have to say, I'm 100% with Gregory here. Maggie might be pregnant, but she seems to be perfectly capable of running around. It's not like they'd have to walk home. They can take a car.

Them staying there risks a bunch of people meeting Lucille.

• Love 9

I was wondering where Judith was, I understand Father Gabriel (I like him now so I"m not using  FPP anymore), watches Judith when Rick goes off, but it is a bit presumptuous to think he should be a full time nanny. 

I thought when Michonne told Carl to be nice to Olivia, it meant she was at the house watching Judith.   Maybe not.

Did someone among the Saviors use time and energy and resources making that flip-off symbol?  They really could find more constructive things to do.

• Love 4

While they are making Gregory out to be a super-douche, he wasn't wrong.  More of our group arrogantly thinking they are right and better qualified to run what has clearly been a functioning and safe community long before they showed up to cause trouble and bring death.  They base this on what... all the smoking ruins they have left behind?

Just because Jesus (only one of a large community) wants to displace the guy who has made the hard decisions and united the community all this time with someone from a group who failed in their deal with them and has now put them in even more danger, doesn't mean the rest of Hilltop is for that or even knows about it.  How about letting everyone know about their options and letting the community decide if they want to keep the rude idiot who has keep the Saviors happy and at bay or accept an arrogant stranger who cares more about herself and her own group?

• Love 11

Props to Enid for being the first person in the ZA to use a bicycle! Another award goes to Carl, who with his one eye noticed a backpack by the side of the road containing not one-but two-pairs of roller skates that miraculously were the RIGHT SIZES! 

• Love 12

The only enjoyable thing about this boring episode was Jesus's face when Gregory opened the closet and only saw his scotch.

Fucking Carl. I hope he told Olivia or someone he was leaving so they could take care of Judith. Although at this point, Judith can probably take care of herself.

I'm still torn on Negan. I know many of you can't stand him but he doesn't really bother me. I do have ridiculous love for JDM, so that might be clouding my judgment.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

I've got to give props to the zombies for following Ninja Rules and patiently waiting for their turn to be dispatched. 

Apparently a well-bred Southern Zombie never forgets his manners! 

• Love 5

I just don't get the big deal about kneeling before Negan's sidekick Simon this week or Daryl's refusal to say "I am Negan" at the Sanctuary. Just DO it, LIE already, it doesn't really mean anything. You can still hate him all you want at the same time lulling Negan into a false sense of security about your loyalty while you plot his demise. 

• Love 9
On 11/21/2016 at 7:42 AM, JackONeill said:

Someone upstream mentioned "campiness" in the show, and while I wouldn't go that far, there is something a bit humorous about a guy names Jesus. This might work better in the comic, but on TV all I can think is this:

The scene is a herd of Walkers suddenly approaching.

"Jesus," Zocko says.

The man next to him, Jesus, answers, "What?"

"No. I wasn't calling you. That was an exclamation," Zocko explains.

Later, as Zocko is being carried off by Walkers, he yells out, "Jesus."

From a distance, Jesus turns to him. "Was that an exclamation?"

"Hell, no. I was calling your name. How 'bout some help here?"

So, yeah, there is something "madcap" about the name.

For me, I just kept thinking they were swearing every time they said his name.

On 11/21/2016 at 9:24 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

Rick is working my last nerve.  I like that Coral wants to fight back.  I wish he would have just shot Negan in the prior episode and let the chips fall where they may.

Rick's appeasement policy made sense when they were all being held at gunpoint, but as soon as they were free, their first goal should have been to kill Neagan, even if it meant losing some of their own people.

I think this ep noted that Neagan has a sizeable numbers advantage so I think they need to bide their time a little bit before trying to kill him.  They need to learn more about his organization.  What's his command structure, how loyal are his people, does he have anyone he cares about etc.

21 hours ago, Beamish said:

What I liked:

1) Seeing Maggie and Sasha.

2) Seeing multiple places and characters (Alexandria and Hilltop) instead of focusing on just one location or group of split off characters.

3) Coral driving like his mother. The reason he did it really irritated me. The fact that it happened was hilarious.

What I didn't like:

Everything else

Also, are walkers even a threat anymore? They seem so easily dispatched nowadays with a small blade or a well placed martial arts move to the noggin...

Well Carl has three excuses to cover for his poor driving.

1)  He was intentionally trying to hit the zombies with his car.

2)  Lack of depth perception.

3)  Decreased peripheral vision.

His mom accidentally ran into a single zombie on an open road and somehow managed to flip the car over.  

6 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

While Jesus being able to kill a zombie with a simple karate kick is kind of corny, I've got to give props to the zombies for following Ninja Rules and patiently waiting for their turn to be dispatched. 

Jesus's moves may look sweet but they seem like a waste of energy.  Zombies make no effort to defend themselves so why not quickly stab them in the head rather knocking them off balance with a kick.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

I've got to give props to the zombies for following Ninja Rules and patiently waiting for their turn to be dispatched. 

They always do that. Even when someone is being mobbed (like Tyreese) the zombies behind and to the sides of  a person just stand there, gnashing teeth and uselessly waving arms until it's their turn to be killed. This odd behavior is only seen with members of CDB. With any and all redshirts, victim is ripped apart immediately and never fights back, even if there is only one zombie.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I think I saw the painting in Gregory's library in a lawyer's office somewhere. I didn't realize it was priceless artwork! 

I wish they had the nuts to use the painting of Tony Soprano and Pie-o-My...

• Love 7

I haven't caught up with the thread yet, but the Sunday Cable ratings are in for "Service":

“The Walking Dead” delivered more of the same in the ratings Sunday night: It was the No. 1 show on cable by quite a lot, but it was also down from the previous week. The show scored a 5.2 rating in adults 18-49 (down from 5.4) and just under 11 million viewers (down from 11.4 million). [10.996 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-nov-20-2016/

Here are the Live + Same Day ratings for Season 7 so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million
11-13-16 “Service” 11.402 million
11-20-16 “Go Getters” 10.996 million

11 hours ago, oakville said:

Agreed. Rick & the gang killed hundreds of walkers last season when they broke through the wall. Now, they are acting hopeless. Rick was all gung ho to attack the Saviors last season without knowing how many there were or what weapons they had.

Walkers are a totally different ball of wax. They're slower. They can't operate weapons. They have no brain power to make decisions about how to fight. Carl helped take down an entire herd back at the prison and he was awesome. But I wouldn't want to risk him against dozens of Negan's armed men. 

8 hours ago, Miles said:

I have to say, I'm 100% with Gregory here. Maggie might be pregnant, but she seems to be perfectly capable of running around. It's not like they'd have to walk home. They can take a car.

It's stupid how capable they have Maggie appearing, after what the doc told her. But I think being near the doc was the main sticking point for wanting to remain at the Hilltop. IF something were to happen again, she'd want to be close. I actually would have liked a conversation between Gregory and the doctor. 

• Love 3
On 11/21/2016 at 1:17 AM, CletusMusashi said:

That roller-skating scene was unforgivably stupid. Even Abraham wasn't that foolhardy.

And also... roller skates? Weren't they sort of replaced by rollerblades about twenty years ago? I'm starting to wonder if TWD takes place in some sort of alternate universe where roller skates, in 2006, were still a thing, records and cassettes were still more common than CDs, and big silly mustaches absolutely never went out of fashion.

Perhaps instead most of humanity's progress went into developing the nanobots that allow  a hat to perpetually adapt itself to its wearer's head size.

As a roller derby girl, I assure you that quad skates are still a thing. However, I would not ever skate down the road in the zombie apoclypse. Very dumb, what if walkers or bad humans came upon them ? It's hard to fight with wheels on your feet. Trust me ! BTDT.

• Love 6
On 11/21/2016 at 0:05 PM, leisawoo said:

I think this season has dulled my "watching skills", lol. Kudos to everyone's posts. Such better writing here than on the show. I must have missed something important. I know FPP made a dummy grave and they're all hiding maggie. I just don't know WHY Maggie has to be hidden? I must have missed it. Surely, it isn't another oversight by the writers because I haven't seen anyone else ask.

Negan insinuated that he wanted Maggie to be another one of his wives. Yikes! Gross. Also, they had sent her and Sascha to Hilltop, to see the doctor, and I think they did not want to tell Negan "Oh, she is at Hilltop, we are all good friends, us and the Hilltopians, and we could maybe someday join up and rebel against you"

• Love 4
22 hours ago, KirkB said:

Negan and a chunk of his crew showed up at Alexandria. Where Rick had superior numbers (unlike on the road), fortifications, and an arsenal even Negan was impressed by. They could have unloaded on him and everyone there and killed the lot. Sure, some of them might have died too but that's part of combat. With the head of the snake and at least some of his lieutenants dead the rest of the Saviors would have been left without direction. Does that mean they'd be easy pickings? Maybe not. But it wouldn't be much more of a threat than what Rick has faced before. Alternatively, if Rick has been emasculated by Negan that he's decided to stop resisting all together, why not load up their cars and run? If they don't either fight or run this is going to be a pretty dull show from now on if it's nothing but Rick kneels before Negan.

I hadn't thought of that. I also just realized that it could have been an opportunity to get Darryl back. He wasn't exactly chained to anyone- in fact he was helping load the truck with the loot.

15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Well, as I figured, I vastly prefer Simon over Negan.  Sure, he's not exactly a layered or original character, but at least he's entertaining in the whole "Faux folksy and friendly" way, and Steven Ogg just seems to fit the character better then Jeffery Dean Morgan does (or the dialogue just isn't as long and ridiculous.)  Again though, a lot of it is likely just because I'll always have a soft spot for Grand Theft Auto V's Trevor!

Glenn and Abe are barely in the dirt, but Maggie and Sasha have already started some kind of quasi-family, with a kind of daughter (Enid), a cool, parkour dropkicking, hipster brother (Jesus), and.... err, asshole uncle that no one likes, but everyone puts up with (Gregory)?  Thanksgivings should be fun in that household!

Gregory might be a weasel and a half, but the man is good at sucking up.  And Xander Berkeley is never not awesome.  I hope he sticks around for a little bit longer, because he elevates the screen anytime he speaks.

Episode automatically looses a grade for all the stuff with Carl/Enid: especially the roller skating scene.  Sure.... just skate around and hope that you don't accidentally skate into a herd of zombies.  Idiots.

So, now Jesus and Carl have inadvertently teamed up, since they're both heading to Negan's lair.  Doubt anything will come of it.  Well, except, I can actually see Negan discovering Carl, and trying to find a twisted way to "mentor" him.  I feel like they're trying to set this up for their to be a question over if Carl actually kills Negan or ends up taking a shine to him.  Sounds stupid, but I can see it happening.

That second best episode this season (outside of the Kingdom episode), but this has been a pretty rough one so far.

IMO Simon just talks the way Negan should talk. They are trying to make Negan talk to much like he does in the comic and it just comes across annoying

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, 3jt said:

I hadn't thought of that. I also just realized that it could have been an opportunity to get Darryl back. He wasn't exactly chained to anyone- in fact he was helping load the truck with the loot.

Rick only had Rosita and Michonne with him that were any good at fighting. It wouldn't be an opportunity to get Daryl back it  would be an opportunity to get everyone killed

• Love 2

So, the thing that bothers me the most is that Sasha told someone that she came with Maggie to make sure that she arrived safely to Hilltop, which means nobody else accompanied them.  Here's my question-how did they get Glenn and Abraham's bodies there?  Maggie who was physically distressed to the point that she could barely stand or walk was able to carry Glenn's body?  Or did Sasha help Maggie and also carry two bodies?  Yes, I accept a lot in a show about Zombies, but I just couldn't figure out anyway that the writers thought this made sense.

And, along with others, roller skates?  And even if cars are being purposefully destroyed are they at least taking the gasoline out and saving that for other vehicles?  Way too many questions.

• Love 6
On 11/21/2016 at 10:30 AM, Boofish said:

Am I the only one that does not need a logical explanation for everything that happens in a show about the dead rising and roaming the earth? Just the premise gives me a carte blanche to excuse 85% of the other nonsense. 

I partially agree. I am more than willing to accept whatever premise a sci-fi or horror story has. I don't care how the dead are alive, or how they can function, etc. Often, it's better if the premise isn't explained. What I do want is for the characters to react naturally and logically to that premise. And that's where TWD often falls down for me. For example, the show prides itself on showing how the dead have decayed even further. Fine. However, the dead are less a threat than an inconvenience at this point. Why haven't the Saviors or some other group done a sweep to clear the area of dead? Why doesn't Rick's group ever establish rendezvous points? Where are they getting all the gasoline (whatever was around should have gone bad by now)? Why turn cannibal when the area is probably overrun with deer by now? And so on and so forth. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Here's my question-how did they get Glenn and Abraham's bodies there?  Maggie who was physically distressed to the point that she could barely stand or walk was able to carry Glenn's body?  Or did Sasha help Maggie and also carry two bodies?  Yes, I accept a lot in a show about Zombies, but I just couldn't figure out anyway that the writers thought this made sense.

The Saviors left a truck for them to use. Presumably, Maggie and Sasha took the truck because Rick was driving the RV at the end of the premiere.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I feel like they're trying to set this up for their to be a question over if Carl actually kills Negan or ends up taking a shine to him.  Sounds stupid, but I can see it happening.

Carl really adored Glenn and seemed to like Abraham well enough.  I don't see him taking any shine to Negan after what he did to them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gobi said:

I partially agree. I am more than willing to accept whatever premise a sci-fi or horror story has. I don't care how the dead are alive, or how they can function, etc. Often, it's better if the premise isn't explained. What I do want is for the characters to react naturally and logically to that premise.

A show can establish whatever universe it wants, but it has to consistently follow the laws of its universe. This show has always clearly meant to be basically the same as our universe except for the zombies. 

Not telling anyone how/why the virus started is allowable and probably a smart move on the show's part. Seemingly 100s of people in solidarity with Negan seems dumb, but pirates did it in a way, so ok, whatever. Lots of people turning savage like it's Lord of the Flies on crack is a little silly, but ok, it's a brutal world. 

Having three communities within the same zip code and no one seemingly knowing about the other is an oversight. Violating the laws of thermodynamics is an oversight. There's enough of these that build up over time where it starts to become ridiculous. 

This is basic worldbuilding and the show just hasn't done that well enough, and I think it's going to bite them in the long run. This show doesn't really ever *have* to end if you write smart and tend to your details. 

• Love 6

Maggie is a pregnant woman with big brass balls - who knows how to tractor down walkers and loud cars.

Carl is a young man with big brass balls - who is also kinda suicidal and very stupid.

..... oh yeah, and Gregory is a huge douche-canoe. 

Your friendly pubic service 30-second recap for the 'Go Getters' episode.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

So, the thing that bothers me the most is that Sasha told someone that she came with Maggie to make sure that she arrived safely to Hilltop, which means nobody else accompanied them.  Here's my question-how did they get Glenn and Abraham's bodies there?  

Balloons. Lots and lots of balloons.

• Love 2

Jesus, buddy, when you tell someone that you are "not going anywhere", you're next move generally isn't stowing away on a Negan-mobile to locate his home base - even if you were just asked persuasively to do so.  Just a little helpful life tip.  Those women you vowed to protect?  Are now open-season, if Gregory and like-minded people were to want to take advantage.  Again, just some general life counseling advice.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Jesus, buddy, when you tell someone that you are "not going anywhere", you're next move generally isn't stowing away on a Negan-mobile to locate his home base - even if you were just asked persuasively to do so.  Just a little helpful life tip.  Those women you vowed to protect?  Are now open-season, if Gregory and like-minded people were to want to take advantage.  Again, just some general life counseling advice.

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.  Instead of waiting around for Neagan and his goons to come and kill Maggie and Sasha, go take out Neagan.

If Badass Rick (who tore out Claimer Joe's jugular with his teeth and told his captor, Gareth which weapon he would kill him with) hadn't turned into Candyass Rick, this would have happened already.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.  Instead of waiting around for Neagan and his goons to come and kill Maggie and Sasha, go take out Neagan.

If Badass Rick (who tore out Claimer Joe's jugular with his teeth and told his captor, Gareth which weapon he would kill him with) hadn't turned into Candyass Rick, this would have happened already.

Very good points....

.... but I was just going more for a teasing joke about him the doing the exact opposite of his very recent words.  The invisible ;) isn't always apparent.  My bad.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 5:00 AM, oakville said:

I am holding on to the hope that Rick is taking a page from Carol's book: keep your head down, bow and scrape.  Meanwhile you're plotting a huge and violent revolt.  Ending with Maggie killing Negan. 

• Love 2

Something just occurred to me...

Last season, didn't some Hilltopians get killed by the Saviors when they went to deliver their "half" of goods?  And didn't said Saviors send the remaining Hilltopians (minus one hostage) back to collect Gregory's head in order to release said hostage?  Of course this all led to Rick & Co. getting involved, finding a zombie head, dolling it up to look like Gregory, then head stabbing a bunch of snoozing Saviors...

So, why didn't Simon & the bonfire starting Saviors chop off Gregory's head as per the original deal?  Apparently, the Saviors wanted him dead/headless as retribution for being short on their delivery, so why the change of heart?  

I also don't follow the logic of Negan's extortion scheme...  Saviors are there every week to take half your "stuff", if you fail to impress them or provide enough "stuff", they kill some of your people, thus decreasing your "stuff" gatherers, which lowers your ability to provide enough goodies to impress the Saviors, who kill more of your people as punishment... and so on.  As a few others mentioned above, wouldn't this method, in the long run, be self-destructive because you've destroyed all of your little worker bees?

• Love 5

I think you answered your own question: there is no logic to this extortion scheme because either TPTBs didn't think it through, or they're pointing out that this isn't sustainable, and everything is coming to a head. 

Why not fortify the gate and lock them out? Why not barricade their camp and starve them out? Quietly sabotage their vehicles; cut the brake lines, pierce the gas tank, slash the tires?

If Negan has "100s of men" as claimed, then you basically have to resort to guerrilla warfare. And they may do this, but I'm skeptical. They didn't even think to hide any of the guns. 

It's like on this show, you're either a warlord, a bunch of idiots, or part of CDB, who aren't really hitting on much anyway. 

• Love 2

A show can establish whatever universe it wants, but it has to consistently follow the laws of its universe. This show has always clearly meant to be basically the same as our universe except for the zombies. 

Agree, agree, agree! Do what you want ("you" = the show and its creators), and you know what? It's OK to make a few minor errors along the way--whatever, it happens. A summer birthday becomes a fall one later...someone's holding an ever-changing utensil...a beard comes and goes. Again, shit happens; we'll gasp, rewind, laugh and point, applaud our own eagle-eyed astuteness, and then move on. However, please try to mind your own mythos; don't make me feel like I care more about your show than you do!

• Love 6
On 11/22/2016 at 1:07 AM, millennium said:

He was like a knockoff Walton Goggins.

I would love it if Walton Goggins made an appearance on this show.  Bonus points if he says, "Damn it Rick.  Your timing sucks."

Do Maggie, Sasha, Jesus, Gregory, et al, not realize the Saviors knew Maggie and Sasha were there?  Not only did the Saviors rig the car, set the fires, and leave the gate open, they also blocked the door so Maggie and Sasha could not get out.  That's why they couldn't open the door and had to go out through the roof.  Simon knew it was supposed to be Maggie and Sasha in the closet.  He is just playing with Gregory and the rest of the Hilltop group.

• Love 4