Type keyword(s) to search

Politics in the Media

1 hour ago, stormy said:

The bottom line was, Bernie pretty much seemed frustrated that the trump voters have no clue what they voted for and have no idea what their savior and his republicans in congress have in store.  They didn't even know that their very own fellow Wisconsinite Paul Ryan is alreadyworking to deconstruct Medicare, Medicade and Social Security, which by the way they syt is hands off.  They repeated trump's BS and basically had blank stares.

I know this will never happen, but this kind of political ignorance makes me wish there were a requirement that to vote for POTUS, you have to actually know what the candidate's platform is. I mean, FFS, have a matching question where the voter has to match the positions on major issues to the candidate. If the voter can't do it, then he/she doesn't get to vote for POTUS. Harsh? Maybe. But IMO, if you can't be bothered to find out what your candidate's position is on the issues that will most affect you, then you don't deserve to vote and thereby inflict your uninformed choices on the rest of us.

In terms of media coverage, I think it's pretty universally acknowledged that MSM treated Trump as entertainment rather than hard news until it was too late. That lack of due diligence has resulted in voters who know Trump only from a few sound bites and haven't got a clue about the hell he and his crew are about to unleash on this country. If the media had from the start covered him by pointing out that while Trump says the sky is green, the sky is in fact blue, and oh by the way, this candidate owes hundreds of millions of dollars to foreign banks because reputable U.S. banks will no longer lend to him, etc., then maybe not quite as many people would have been willing to buy into the total bullshit that his bogus business acumen somehow qualifies him to be POTUS.

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 6
  • Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trumpys say they don't really expect him to do some of the things he claimed he would, i.e., rounding up Muslims, deporting kids that were brought here illegally by their parents, because as one of the women said, I'd never want anything like that to happen.  OK

Also, one of the men said that's why we have the congress, he won't be able to just do whatever he wants.

They basically take what he says with a grain of salt.

Well, great. 

Edited by stormy
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, stormy said:

The trumys say they don't really expect him to do some of the things he claimed he would, i.e., rounding up Muslims, deporting kids that were brought here illegally by their parents, because a one of the women said, I'd never want anything like that to happen.  OK

Also, one of the men said that's why we have the congress, he won't be able to just do whatever he wants.

They basically take what he says with a grain of salt.

Well, great. 

Because they believe that he's going to adhere to the rules like the regular old politicians usually do. But he kept touting he wasn't a politician and these people loved that about him. He acted like a fuckwad every chance he got, he taunted Hillary that he took advantage of tax loop holes and that SHE should have done something about it in the 30 years she was in politics. What made them think he was ever going to play by the rules? And the other fuckwads who want to gut the system and government didn't like that he was flouting the "normal" way things are usually done in politics but damn if they aren't going to finally enjoy the freedom they are going to have now that they are in charge. But these voters didn't  dig any further than they needed to, because they still hold the belief that these fuckwads have their best interests at heart and they would never hurt them by taking away health insurance and social security, we'll no they only care about themselves and their corporate pimps.

I hope they did learn their lesson and damn fast because we need hope in two years. 

Edited by callmebetty
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, nowandlater said:

I wish most people would pay attention to Trump's corruption in general. But it's a sea of corruption, so people don't care. That's why the new Secretary of State being friends with Putin and the CIA thing doesn't matter. Nobody cares anymore.

Oh, I think some people care -- people like the invisibles, people who voted for HRC.  We have felt this feeling of inchoate rage once before -- after the Supreme Court (per Vince Bugliosi's "None Dare call It Treason") illegally declared the vote counting over.  Gore voters were told to move on and get over it.  

And the corporate wh*re media did its part then by making us as invisible as they're making us now.  Remember when three Teabaggers would get together after '09, the gathering would be on the evening news because the 'Baggers "wanted their country baaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkk"?  The double standard is astonishing.  

I am so mad right now I almost can't see.  KO's inchoate rage on GQ is just about the only thing keeping me sane.  

(From TRMS thread.)

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, navelgazer said:

And the corporate wh*re media did its part then by making us as invisible as they're making us now.  Remember when three Teabaggers would get together after '09, the gathering would be on the evening news because the 'Baggers "wanted their country baaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkk"?  he double standard is astonishing.  

I really do wonder if that's something should be attacked. I mean...how do you get the media to pay attention to you? The Tea-partiers, as you say, only needed 3 people to show up and it would be on the news--and not just Fox. Meanwhile how much coverage to Standing Rock even get?

Is there some person who could plan some twist to protests that they would be interested in covering? Something to compete with whatever celebrity shows up in the lobby of Trump Tower?

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

^^  The problem is the congressional map is horrible for Dems in '18.  There aren't many seats they'll be able to add....they'll need to play A TON of defense, actually.

Yep. And here's to hoping that they will.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I really do wonder if that's something should be attacked. I mean...how do you get the media to pay attention to you? The Tea-partiers, as you say, only needed 3 people to show up and it would be on the news--and not just Fox. Meanwhile how much coverage to Standing Rock even get?

Is there some person who could plan some twist to protests that they would be interested in covering? Something to compete with whatever celebrity shows up in the lobby of Trump Tower?

Randi Rhodes actually went into answering that in some detail this afternoon, something about think tanks and ideological blasting through coast-to-coast hate radio.  (The clip is what she provides recorded for free, so I'm no sure if she gets to the GOP infrastructure advantage exactly, sorry.)

https://randirhodes.com/blog/homework-tuesday-december-13-2016/

Randi puts together a helpful link page that I find useful.  

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 2

Has everyone heard about the college professor in California that made an anti-Trump speech? One of the conservative members of the class posted it on YouTube, and long story short, the professor had to leave her job because of the subsequent death threats of the trolls.

It gets better: the conservative students claim that they're the victims because they're the minority against the "liberal majority" and thus they felt like they wouldn't be able to peacefully state their opinion without getting harassed. Oh, but posting the video on the Internet and getting this poor teacher harassed on social media was any better? Disgusting.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Has everyone heard about the college professor in California that made an anti-Trump speech? One of the conservative members of the class posted it on YouTube, and long story short, the professor had to leave her job because of the subsequent death threats of the trolls.

Good lord. I hope the school would take a stand on something like that. Goes without saying these are the "students are pussies who need space spaces" types. But really, this kind of thing I think should be a punishable offense because they basically are requesting strangers to harass this teacher. This is not a surprising response. There are armies of these people ready to harass anyone--especially a woman--at the slightest provocation. Letting kids continue to act like they did nothing wrong and are actually the victims is really irresponsible. It's like a section of society is intent on getting into an abusive relationship with everyone else.

45 minutes ago, navelgazer said:

Randi Rhodes actually went into answering that in some detail this afternoon, something about think tanks and ideological blasting through coast-to-coast hate radio.  

Thanks! I'm glad somebody is.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Can someone puhleeze wipe that condescending, smug smirk off of Jeffrey Lord's face? 

Ugh, so true!  What a despicable guy...Lord is so smug, and yet he is so proud of being aligned with Reagan, who happened to call Russia(ie: Soviet Union) an "Evil Empire".

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, windsprints said:

I saw this on my girlfriend's Facebook newsfeed.  I can't even imagine the amount of pressure, arm twisting, threats will be directed at the faithless electors.  More power to them.  I'm way too fucking cynical to think the EC will block Trump, but I will say I'd rather we face the massive Constitutional crisis than deal w/ a Trump Presidency (obviously, if the House gets to actually vote, it still might end up being Trump)

• Love 6

It's not going to happen, but if somehow those Hamilton Electors throw their votes towards Mittens and the House votes for him too I'm going to laugh for days because of the song and dance Drumpf made him go through for SoS only for him to end up President.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

It's not going to happen, but if somehow those Hamilton Electors throw their votes towards Mittens and the House votes for him too I'm going to laugh for days because of the song and dance Drumpf made him go through for SoS only for him to end up President.

That would be rich. I don't like Mittens myself, but I'd take that over Drumpf any day.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

That would be fantastic.

The invisibility of the Clinton supporter to the media has been of long standing aggravation to me. When it was Clinton v. Bernie, the fascination was with Bernie's people. Of course, even Republicans couldn't get media interested in their supporters over Trump's.  And in the general election (and afterwards) it was still just ridiculous.

We all know that if it had been reversed--if Tubby got the majority of popular votes but Hillary was going to be pres because of the EC--reporters would be out at all the demonstrations, interviewing one angry person after another. Now, even in that townhall in Wisc. there seemed to be a LOT of liberals in the room but even Chris H and Bernie were focused on "Why Trump?"  Not that I blame them, since of course I don't understand it either.

But there is not now nor has ever been, any interest in talking with people who supported Hillary. I guess "blahblah experienced...civil liberties...financial transparency....the environment inc. climate change, abortion rights, marriage equality, health care, keeping SS and Medicare...etc. etc." just isn't as interesting as "Build that wall! He's an outsider who's going to shake up Washington! We've been left behind and aren't going to take it anymore!" 

Edited by Padma
  • Love 12

^^^  Even if the non-believer in chief doesn't want to stop with the lying denials, aren't there enough of the other side that can't at least for arguments sake, wonder why only the DNC, only Hillary's campaign and only Hillary's emails were hacked into then leaked?

That's what irritates the hell out of me.  These crazy people just follow along like sheep.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, stormy said:

^^^  Even if the non-believer in chief doesn't want to stop with the lying denials, aren't there enough of the other side that can't at least for arguments sake, wonder why only the DNC, only Hillary's campaign and only Hillary's emails were hacked into then leaked?

That's what irritates the hell out of me.  These crazy people just follow along like sheep.

It wasn't just the DNC who was hacked. The RNC was as well. They just weren't leaked.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

lqffm9j.png

Yes, and you are one of the few who has the street cred. to say this, since you literally were running all over foreign lands doing investigative reporting from day one to uncover Trump's corruption. Meanwhile,  CNN and MSNBC,  with about four journalists exceptions on this network, were televising every Trump klan rally from start to finish. Along with fake progressives like Jimmy Dore, who decided to read one of those lengthy planted by the Russians emails on his show. But because he's a hack, unlike Chris Hayes, he failed to do his research to uncover that said racist email was one of those spam emails, that even Chris Hayes gets in his inbox. But proceeded to read it and say look this is proof of how racist Podesta and the Hillary campaign was...

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

It wasn't just the DNC who was hacked. The RNC was as well. They just weren't leaked.

This is actually scarier. What information did they get? Did they blackmail people?

Reince Preibus has outright said, "The RNC wasn't hacked."  If he's lying and they were, what is he hiding?  And why?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Padma said:

This is actually scarier. What information did they get? Did they blackmail people?

Reince Preibus has outright said, "The RNC wasn't hacked."  If he's lying and they were, what is he hiding?  And why?

Of course they were hacked, and of COURSE they're being blackmailed.  Why do you think the Repubs are being so quiet about Donnie Boy's picks for Cabinet positions?  The Russians have the goods on them - the skeletons in their closets.  The affairs/mistresses/rent boys/etc.  The back door deals.  The palm greasing.  The graft.  The corruption.  On both sides of the aisles. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Padma said:

Oh, OK, now you're really on to the big story, which is members of the republican party working hand in hand with Putin to steal the election because they were being blackmailed. Talk about spies and traitors in our midst. 

• Love 4

Much as I appreciate Kurt Eichenwald's voice of sanity, he really needs to, I hate to say it, "dumb it down" a little for a clearer message to be heard, at least when being interviewed in person.  I saw him on Laurence O'Donnell last night and came away thinking, "Huh?" regarding the tie to Turkey.  And I knew a little about it going in.  It must have been completely confusing to anyone who had not heard of it or read his Newsweek article. 

The message needs to be MUCH clearer to get through to the masses. 

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, stormy said:

ITA   I saw him on L O'D too.  And if you're unfamiliar with what he was talking about, it's confusing and comes across as mumble jumble.

I guess, but I wasn't confused because Hayes and Maddow have been talking about the subject for quite some time. The only new piece of information was on Trump's business partners in Turkey, I didn't know exactly who they were because I guess they hadn't been arrested yet. But the fact that the leader of Turkey wants that guy, I forgot his name but he blames him for the attempted coup and we have him here in this country...that's not news, neither is the strong possibility that Trump would give him up. Maddow has been reporting on that way before the election results came in. I believe it was that Flynn guy who was on the record way before the election results saying that maybe we should give him up.

I remember thinking that he better see if Justin Trudeau will take him now that Trump has been elected because he's death certificate has now been stamped.

It's not confusing to me at all, but then again, I'm not a tweeter. If the information is good, I need details.  I understand Eichenwald pretty well. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:
51 minutes ago, stormy said:

Even if the non-believer in chief doesn't want to stop with the lying denials, aren't there enough of the other side that can't at least for arguments sake, wonder why only the DNC, only Hillary's campaign and only Hillary's emails were hacked into then leaked?

Isn't it obvious?  The RNC didn't do anything wrong, therefore, there was no reason to leak their emails.  They were squeaky clean!  *eyeroll* (Yes, I've heard that a couple of times in the last few days)

25 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Oh, OK, now you're really on to the big story, which is members of the republican party working hand in hand with Putin to steal the election because they were being blackmailed. Talk about spies and traitors in our midst. 

Since everything appears to be going to hell in a hand basket anyway, then, if this really is the case, I hope they are caught and trotted out in front of all the cameras for the whole world to see.  Might as well make the next few years a little interesting instead of downright scary and depressing (not that spies and traitors aren't depressing, but if they are caught and arrested, then that's something else entirely).

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Padma said:

Betting he's lying. The latter. I wouldn't put it past the Russians to do something like that.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Padma said:

That's a shame about Eichenwald.  Maybe someone needs to coach him that tv appearances are more like tweeting than like writing an article.

Although what's funny is the same people who would not be able to follow him can totally drone on for hours about whatever crazy conspiracy theory is totally true based on three words in an email!

• Love 3

Let's not forget LittleMarco.

'Marco Rubio has been mum on the WikiLeaks hack of Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman and advises Republicans to do the same, warning that while Democrats are being hacked today, Republicans could be exposed tomorrow.'

Doubt that will happen but ...

• Love 2

I only get to watch Joy Reid infrequently at most, but I just caught her subbing in for Maddow tonight.  I'm a relatively smart person, law degree in hand (though not a practicing attorney), and all I can say is that I'd hate to be cross examined by her.  That is all.

• Love 7

I love Joy Reid, and I love Loretta Lynch's voice, it's so soothing. She's got a DJ's voice, like for some easy listening,  jazz music station.

Like how she didn't answer that last question which I knew she wouldn't about how she was against the FBI/Comey releasing that letter 11 days before the election. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I think Fox can be further in the center circle, as could CNN (since they seem to be changing a little bit now that they have had time to think)

LOL, you think Fox has minimal bias? Fox couldn't be more biased if they tried.

• Love 17
24 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

I don't think I could be more Disgusted

Senator Lindsey Graham has admitted that his Campaign was hacked.   I wonder if the Snake Collection (aka The Republican's) will come forward in a Country before Party manner for ONCE.   They should rot in hell.

I'm glad he came forward with it. It shows that the RNC was affected.

I agree on what he said via Twitter as well:

Lindsey Graham ✔ @LindseyGrahamSC
Russian hacking during the US presidential election is not a Republican or Democrat issue. It's an American issue. 

We must stand together.
6:18 PM - 14 Dec 2016
  8,941 8,941 Retweets   17,630 17,630 likes
 Follow
 Lindsey Graham ✔ @LindseyGrahamSC
If you don't go after Russia for hacking during 2016 election you're inviting other bad actors (China, N. Korea, Iran, etc.) to do the same.
6:20 PM - 14 Dec 2016
  2,238 2,238 Retweets   3,678 3,678 likes

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

CNN's Lisa Mirando tweeted as fact speculation about Ivanka from unnamed sources, Trump team promptly denied the speculation as false but  Politico's Julia Ioffe didn't get that memo so she tweeted a vulgar tweet about the speculation, and then Politico promptly fired Ioffe. 

Amazing; a woman gets fired for saying the same kind of vulgar things that won Trump the presidency.  

Edited by film noire
  • Love 16
14 hours ago, Padma said:

As much as I hate to admit it, this time Reince is probably right. The RNC itself doesn't seem to be hacked but he's lying through his teeth again when he claims no other Republicans were hacked either (see the post about Lindsay Graham upthread). The Russians apparently hacked any number of other Republican contractors and officials and have tons of their emails but didn't leak any of them prior to the election. There is speculation they may leak them after the orange buffoon is inaugurated if he makes any decisions that they're not happy with. Blackmail in other words.

• Love 1

A law school classmate lived in Milwaukee for a few years, and he listened to Sykes frequently.  According to him, Sykes is a "non-crazy, real conservative."  I only know about Sykes from his appearances on national media outlets, especially MSNBC during this last election cycle.  He came across as extremely reasonable to me (then again, in another thread, I've outed myself as likely a "moderate" Republican on the traditional spectrum).

The conservative media is broken and the conservative movement deeply compromised.

• Love 4
On 12/13/2016 at 6:07 PM, MulletorHater said:

I was amazed at the number of people who weren't bothered by Drumpf's more extreme positions, particularly his threats against "the illegals," his threats to appeal the ACA on day one and other divisive threats to create a registry for Muslims, etc.  And, why weren't they bothered?  Some of them genuinely believed that (a) it was just talk to get elected; and (b) there are checks and balances in place to keep him from doing those "awful" things ("Congress would never let him do that").

It really is amazing just how uninformed and outright stupid some people are.  You really think a Congress in complete control of the GoP, who agrees with each and every thing spouted by Trump, is going to stop him?  Seriously?  You really think the Dems have any sort of backbone to fillibuster for 4 years?  You really think a GoP candidate won't carry out their extreme campaign promises.  Oh, like Scott Walker did when he busted all the unions?  How'd that work out?

Of course, if these people are so uninformed about the presidential candidate, I can completely understand why they know absoluting nothing about any of Trump's cabinet appointees and the likely damage they are going to do this country in order to enrich themselves.

• Love 10

I did enjoy this morning's confrontation.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/15/politics/spicer-cuomo-debate-cnntv/index.html

I can only get CNN out in the boonies but they do seem to be holding some feet to the fire. Our own CBC is asking some pretty interesting questions when they report on Washington. We are nervous in the north too. What happens to you directly impacts us as well. Hell, I live close to the border and don't want to get nuked along with my family. I remember the Bay of Pigs as a child. My father, who was still a military man at the time, was glued to the TV in silence. I knew he was worried sick. Now I understand his behviour clearly. 

• Love 6
On 12/13/2016 at 11:12 AM, izabella said:

It's also very important to determine whether Trump's henchmen worked with the Russians and to what extent. 

From the Electoral College Open Letter asking to be briefed on the Russian election hacking scandal:

https://extranewsfeed.com/bipartisan-electors-ask-james-clapper-release-facts-on-outside-interference-in-u-s-election-c1a3d11d5b7b#.pw83na96g

There are now almost 60 Electors who signed this Open Letter in addition to the original 10.

• Love 6