Type keyword(s) to search

Politics in the Media

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

The Repugs should love her plan.

Only 6 weeks of parental leave as opposed to the 12 weeks already afforded Federal employees.

You go girl!

If they truly want to take us back to  their beloved golden ages they would have women have to quit their job as soon as she got married.

• Love 1

For the Repubs, jobs for women are those things she does between graduating high school and getting married, to pass the time away and hopefully meet Mr. Right.  Where she has the great opportunity to make coffee and bring it to her boss.  Or sit down with her boss and cross her legs sexily while she prepares to take notes of his awesome ideas.  She might even get the glamorous job of scrubbing his private bathroom, if she's really lucky!  And she'll actually get paid for all this!  At that glorious minimum wage limit!!  So she gets all this training to be a wife and mother, and gets paid to do it.  Isn't America grand?

Edited by Ocean Chick
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

For the Repubs, jobs for women are those things she does between graduating high school and getting married, to pass the time away and hopefully meet Mr. Right.  Where she has the great opportunity to make coffee and bring it to her boss.  Or sit down with her boss and cross her legs sexily while she prepares to take notes of his awesome ideas.  She might even get the glamorous job of scrubbing his private bathroom, if she's really lucky!  And she'll actually get paid for all this!  At that glorious minimum wage limit!!  So she gets all this training to be a wife and mother, and gets paid to do it.  Isn't America grand?

Don't forget to add between taking those notes, she gets to laugh and giggle at her boss grabbing her tits and ass as well as him talking about them, all why handwaving it away with a "Oh, you"

Edited by callmebetty
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

What that reminded me of. We're back at this again. 

2 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

Forgot to add between taking those notes, she gets to laugh and giggle at her boss grabbing her tits and ass as well as him talking about them, all why handwaving it away with a "Oh, you"

Yep. Back to the 50's to the 80's again.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

What that reminded me of. We're back at this again. 

Yep. Back to the 50's to the 80's again.

Love this movie; I should rent the DVD. And I could totally see it being re-made but updated for the 21st century.

• Love 2

Here's a tweet about Trump from Peter Beinart, Editor of The Atlantic:

Imagine a drunk driver with the entire world in the passenger seat.

Here's one from Ana Navarro:

Electoral College voting. Trump just passed 270 mark. He's officially President-Elect. Will be 45th POTUS. No. It's not too early to drink.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Rush Limbaugh w/ his pre-emptive douchebaggery, how predictable.

Oh, does he mean the way he, Drumpf and other President Obama detractors created "unrest" every time the president acted?

Like, when Mitch McConnell said their biggest priority was to ensure that Obama was a one-term president?  Or, when Limpbaugh couldn't control his glee when the Somali pirate crisis occurred so early in Obama's presidency?  But, didn't have shit to say when it was handled so quickly and deftly?  Or, is Limpbaugh referring to the whole "birther" nonsense that arose, and the formation of the "tea party," who descended on D.C. thanks to Glenn Beck and shrieked, "We want our country back."

I have two words for this pill-popping hypocrite:  Fuck and You.

That's all (she says in her best Miranda Priestly voice)!

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

I have two words for this pill-popping hypocrite:  Fuck and You.

Rush was ahead of his time - the opioid addiction epidemic is escalating in leaps and bounds, helped in large part by pharma companies telling people (via videos produced by pharma and given to doctors to give their patients as a standard doctor visit protocol, and ads targeting doctors) that their opiods weren't addictive, lol. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/health/opioid-addiction-history/

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, callmebetty said:

Why do the pages keep scrolling when you got read? It's starting to get really annoying. 

I think info for that issue is In Bugs.

These threads are FB and Twitter heavy. The scrolling problem is worse here than any of my other PTV areas.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, callmebetty said:

Why do the pages keep scrolling when you got read? It's starting to get really annoying. 

It happens when posters embed Twitter Tweets they wanna comment on, instead of linking to them. Sometimes it happens when other sources are embedded, but it's mostly Twitter. And it's really annoying--I'm having trouble writing this because of it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

****OMFG Kellyanne Conway is gonna be on The Rachel Maddow Show tomorrow night (Thu, Dec. 22)****

I react physically whenever I hear her voice, so I doubt I'll watch.  Seriously.  I get nauseous.

Rachel seemed to feel it was some kind of special "get".  Is there any possible chance that KAC will actually say anything of substance or off script?

No, there isn't. None, zero.  I hate the sound of her voice and I hate seeing her.  I'd rather watch Trump for an hour than listen to her for 5 minutes.

I'm sure in the unlikely event she says anything meaningful, MSNBC will play it (sadly, they'll probably play clips of the pap she'll babble out anyway.  It's all PR with her and she lies and twists and accuses others with ease. She's the Goebbels of the Trump team. If I were Rachel, I wouldn't even play along by having her on).

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Aw. The good old Stars and Bars.

'Germany -- Skinheads and neo-Nazis have been known to use the Confederate flag because symbols of Nazi Germany are banned.'

That's funny, because this was my latest post on Facebook. (Forgive me, but I don't know how to directly link to posts)

Maybe Rachel is going to have a surprise roast for Kellyanne? I mean, not like the guy she supported was above that.

12 hours ago, Padma said:

Rachel seemed to feel it was some kind of special "get".  Is there any possible chance that KAC will actually say anything of substance or off script?

No, there isn't. None, zero.  I hate the sound of her voice and I hate seeing her.  I'd rather watch Trump for an hour than listen to her for 5 minutes.

I'm sure in the unlikely event she says anything meaningful, MSNBC will play it (sadly, they'll probably play clips of the pap she'll babble out anyway.  It's all PR with her and she lies and twists and accuses others with ease. She's the Goebbels of the Trump team. If I were Rachel, I wouldn't even play along by having her on)

Yeah, I'd rather hear the original, tang-flavored diarrhea from Tubby himself than watch Dementor Conway polish up the mess like a good housewife in a paper towel commercial.

The only acceptable angle for Maddow to take, in my opinion, is to present this as "see how hard it is to work with a fascist propaganda tool? Watch this: Dementor, I'm going to ask you a question about policy, climate change, something substantial. And I'm going to give you one minute to give me an answer with substance. Ready? Go. Oh....so sorry, I have to stop you the second you say Clinton, Obama, emailz, Benghaazzzzzzi, or Democrats or liberals. Try again. Two minutes. Nope, sorry, you cannot turn my question into a question. One more time...last chance...if you can't produce any substance, I'm dismissing you as a liar and spin artist with nothing to say and I'll never have you on this show again....ready? Set. Go! Oh....so sorry, no, I'm afraid a Brietbart faux news lie is not substance. Be gone, Bellatrix."

That totally will not happen. WHich is why I won't watch and simply read the comments the next day.

It's the one RM show that will not be worth my time. Sigh.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

The big question: What were those people doing on a JetBlue flight? Is that like slumming for them? "No meals, but they do provide blue potato chips. Our people never bring those home to us!"

They probably expected some PR value from it--such "man of the people" stuff.  (Although it caused a delay in boarding for everyone else because they had to do it separately and first.)

Unfortunately, the guy's inappropriate outburst made Ivanka's lack of response look classy and sympathetic. :(  Also, the guy's husband (a prof at Hunter College) didn't get involved on the plane, but tweeted earlier that his spouse was running around the airport to harass her.  No one else has mentioned anything about that so....not a very wise tweet.  And they apparently had their young son with them.

I hate when liberals create bad publicity like this.

• Love 5

I don't know what gets into trump supporters.  Are they brainwashed, have Stockholm syndrome or are they just nuts?

Chris Hayes had former republican congressman Jack Kingston on his show last night.  Kingston (and he seems wacky to me) told Chris that trump did win the popular vote if you don't count the votes in California and New York.

Chris laughed.  And pointed out, well if you don't count votes in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia.

News flash to Kingston.  The fat bastard isn't giving you a job in his illustrious administration.  You can't stop being his apologist.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The big question: What were those people doing on a JetBlue flight? Is that like slumming for them? "No meals, but they do provide blue potato chips. Our people never bring those home to us!"

I suspect it's a publicity stunt that went awry.  It reminds me of one of those Dave Chappelle sketches, "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong."

These people have always been media savvy.  They wanted to "show" that although daddy doesn't pay taxes like the little people, the family isn't averse to flying commercial with them.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, stormy said:

I don't know what gets into trump supporters.  Are they brainwashed, have Stockholm syndrome or are they just nuts?

Chris Hayes had former republican congressman Jack Kingston on his show last night.  Kingston (and he seems wacky to me) told Chris that trump did win the popular vote if you don't count the votes in California and New York.

Chris laughed.  And pointed out, well if you don't count votes in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia.

News flash to Kingston.  The fat bastard isn't giving you a job in his illustrious administration.  You can't stop being his apologist.

If you don't count all the B's, C's, D's and F's,  Rick Perry got a 4.0 in college.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Padma said:

I hate when liberals create bad publicity like this.

I agree the guy just made liberals look bad. But someone else made a point elsewhere that I thought was also true--it's really not fair to act like Ivanka is just some private citizen traveling with her family. She's neck deep in the administration, pretty much acting as co-president. And citizens are going to take a chance to talk to their government representatives when they can. She can't have it both ways. If Trump was on the street I'd expect someone to shout at him too, since it's the only chance they'd get.  What she's doing to those guys on the plane is far worse than what he did to her.

So while I don't like it because it gives the right a fake reason to play the victim, she definitely wasn't.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, stormy said:

The Trump supporters on TV have often had me scratching my head during the past year and a half but I gotta admit, try as I might, I can't figure out what this moron's point is.  So you take away two of the most populated states in the nation and The Orange Oaf wins the popular vote? On the other hand, if you take away the deep south and other conservative states, Hillary would have won the popular...of wait, she did and she didn't even have to fudge the math.

I've always thought Jack Kingston was a flake but this latest has me truly worried.  Do you suppose he was "experimented on" during his recent trip to sunny Moscow? 

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I agree the guy just made liberals look bad. But someone else made a point elsewhere that I thought was also true--it's really not fair to act like Ivanka is just some private citizen traveling with her family. She's neck deep in the administration, pretty much acting as co-president. And citizens are going to take a chance to talk to their government representatives when they can. She can't have it both ways. If Trump was on the street I'd expect someone to shout at him too, since it's the only chance they'd get.  What she's doing to those guys on the plane is far worse than what he did to her.

So while I don't like it because it gives the right a fake reason to play the victim, she definitely wasn't.

While I don't think it's ever appropriate to "harass" these people, especially with the young children present, it's never not appropriate to express your point of view to their faces if given the chance. Doing it on a plane was a bad move, because a whole different set of rules apply once you step foot on an aircraft: You can't just cause a ruckus there. But people speaking out against the Trumps, right to their faces, is what Ivanka and everyone in that whole nauseating family should come to expect for the next four years. If they thought anything otherwise they're even more delusional than they appear. They're gonna face stuff like this all the time, and as long as the person complaining to them is not harassing or threatening them in any way, they've got to stand there and take it. I'm reminded of earlier this year when a woman yelled at Florida Governor and Possible Extraterrestrial Rick Scott at a Starbucks. He disagreed with some of her accusations in a calm and polite manner but otherwise he just let her scream at him.

• Love 5

You'd better believe that if I ever meet any of that vile, vulgar short fingered family, I'll be telling them exactly what I think of them.  I won't threaten them (except maybe with eternal damnation), or do it on an airplane, but anytime else is fair game.  And that goes for the whole administration as well.

• Love 11

So I watched Kellyanne Conway on Maddow and I still think it was a bad idea. Even when RM as challenging her she had to do it in a way that made it seem like there was some question about what was going on, which just gave KAC her opening to smile and dismissively laugh and come up with some nonsense thing to pretend to complicate the issue or talk about how great the campaign was or how America didn't ultimately care about Trump's tax returns. The woman over and over used Trump's wealth as something that put him above the law--if he earned millions from what somebody in his cabinet said about Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac it didn't count as a profit because for somebody like Trump millions isn't a profit. Likewise someone staying at a hotel that Trump owns and therefore makes money off of renting rooms isn't "corruption" it's "a hotel room" and it doesn't matter that Trump makes money from it. Likewise it's no biggie that Ivanka's in meetings because she just doesn't talk about business stuff there.

I honestly don't get what RM expected to get or got out of the interview. It was just yet another situation where a journalist sat down with KAC and had to josh her way through vitally important questions and then act normal when KAC bragged about how they didn't matter or made vague, condescending speeches about how the world was a dangerous place and how sad it is that children die in Aleppo like she was a 7th grader faking her way through an essay about a subject she didn't actually know about. Only the essays were about things like "Gee, what did the president elect mean in his wildly dangerous tweet where he casually announced the US was going to expand its nuclear arsenal?"

It really just proved that still nobody is willing to actually force this woman (or anyone on Trump's team) to deal with these issues realistically.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

So I watched Kellyanne Conway on Maddow and I still think it was a bad idea. Even when RM as challenging her she had to do it in a way that made it seem like there was some question about what was going on, which just gave KAC her opening to smile and dismissively laugh and come up with some nonsense thing to pretend to complicate the issue or talk about how great the campaign was or how America didn't ultimately care about Trump's tax returns. The woman over and over used Trump's wealth as something that put him above the law--if he earned millions from what somebody in his cabinet said about Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac it didn't count as a profit because for somebody like Trump millions isn't a profit. Likewise someone staying at a hotel that Trump owns and therefore makes money off of renting rooms isn't "corruption" it's "a hotel room" and it doesn't matter that Trump makes money from it. Likewise it's no biggie that Ivanka's in meetings because she just doesn't talk about business stuff there.

I honestly don't get what RM expected to get or got out of the interview. It was just yet another situation where a journalist sat down with KAC and had to josh her way through vitally important questions and then act normal when KAC bragged about how they didn't matter or made vague, condescending speeches about how the world was a dangerous place and how sad it is that children die in Aleppo like she was a 7th grader faking her way through an essay about a subject she didn't actually know about. Only the essays were about things like "Gee, what did the president elect mean in his wildly dangerous tweet where he casually announced the US was going to expand its nuclear arsenal?"

It really just proved that still nobody is willing to actually force this woman (or anyone on Trump's team) to deal with these issues realistically.

Some would try harder (and better) than Rachel.  I think Lawrence would be better, maybe Hayes. But why would KAC want to go on and talk with them?

Maybe ultimately, it doesn't matter what she's asked. She just always lies, deflects, and babbles out her talking points. When challenged again about something, she often talks over the questioner and goes into long-winded non-responses just like her boss. 

I couldn't watch. Did Rachel ask when he's having a press conference? Not that the answer would matter. It would be "He will, but we don't know the exact date yet." Of course, a non-answer.

I don't think he'll ever have a press conference.  He'll just talk with Hannity, O'Reilly, maybe Joe & Mika, some reporter from Breitbart, maybe go on radio with Alex Jones, and tell Americans they have all the answers they could want--"and I didn't have to go through the lying, dishonest media to get them to you."

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Padma said:

Some would try harder (and better) than Rachel.  I think Lawrence would be better, maybe Hayes. But why would KAC want to go on and talk with them?

Maybe ultimately, it doesn't matter what she's asked. She just always lies, deflects, and babbles out her talking points. When challenged again about something, she often talks over the questioner and goes into long-winded non-responses just like her boss. 

I couldn't watch. Did Rachel ask when he's having a press conference? Not that the answer would matter. It would be "He will, but we don't know the exact date yet." Of course, a non-answer.

I don't think he'll ever have a press conference.  He'll just talk with Hannity, O'Reilly, maybe Joe & Mika, some reporter from Breitbart, maybe go on radio with Alex Jones, and tell Americans they have all the answers they could want--"and I didn't have to go through the lying, dishonest media to get them to you."

I think that Rachel did a good job. When dealing with a person like KAC, doesn't matter who she's talking with, she'll just be her usual slimy Stepford Wife self.

As for how she operates, my mom said it was like a lawyer. With the lies and the deflection.

Wow. Putin's now telling people to get over it.

Source: msn.com

Uh no, we know Russia was involved and that the election was a sham. We're not butt hurt, we're just aware when an election has been rigged/affected in some way.

• Love 7

Chuck Toad's lineup on Meet the Press this morning illustrates why I get so goddamn mad when a RWNJ starts whining and crying about the "liberal" media.  Katy Tur is a reporter/journalist for MSNBC, supposed to be "objective."  Joy-Ann Reid is a host on MSNBC, ditto the objective thing.  Robert Costa is a journalist/reporter for the Washington Post, objective. 

But then there's Hugh Hewitt, a conservative partisan, a right-wing-nut-job hack.  Where's the real liberal, Chuck, to match up with Hugh Hewitt?  They do exist.  Thom Hartmann does liberal radio.  Then there's Randi Rhodes, Mike Malloy, Sam Seder, Cenk Uygur, Stephanie Miller, Bill Press, and on and on and on. 

• Love 6