Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Courting Jinger

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

30 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

It's almost as if TLC hates America. Is it legal to do this? It can't be legal to broadcast what was literally just shown LAST WEEK! I'm flabbergasted.

I'd call it contempt, rather than hate. But people keep watching it.  One of the few times that I watched about 20 minutes of an episode, I know that I saw the exact same talking head shown three times. Three times in one episode! And it was a really boring talking head, too. So I think there's a tradition, isn't there? No wonder they like broadcasting this thing, because it doesn't take them much work. Or even use up much videotape. I guess if something's cheap enough to produce you only need a handful of advertisers. They can probably go on with it until the whole gang is senile. ... Although come to think of it maybe they are already.

• Love 3

What a shame Jinge could not pursue her love of photography.  Maybe, just maybe she will take classes or get a job involving photography when she moves to Laredo. Oh my, who am I kidding?  It  will never happen.  Its hard to lug a baby around while taking pictures. Maybe she could at least take pictures involving Babe's church. Too bad she didn't go to a regular public high school - she could have taken photography classes (for free Jim Bob)  to learn more.  (Feels funny to type "learn more" when talking about a Duggar.)

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

It's almost as if TLC hates America. Is it legal to do this? It can't be legal to broadcast what was literally just shown LAST WEEK! I'm flabbergasted.

If stupid viewers continue to watch the dull drivel, I blame them.

• Love 1

I didn't know that Jinge is the only Duggar who is left-handed.  For that reason alone, I am hopeful that she breaks away from the pack and doesn't have a baby nine months from last Saturday.

I fast-forwarded through the rest and then deleted it off my DVR.

• Love 3

Again I was confused as to why Jinger was so surprised by the proposal.   According to Boob, that is the entire premise behind a courtship.  You court with the intention of getting engaged and married.   Because if you just dated, you would be giving away pieces of your heart.  Therefore (according to logic - not something the Duggars have, but whatever),  one should anticipate/expect a proposal..... right??   Mind boggling.

• Love 7

They just delivered an entire season with nothing but fluff, and 3 episodes in a row without any real substance at all. They must be laughing at TLC. Glad to have posters who let us know if there is a scene worth watching. Thank you.

• Love 2

I'm just a newly retired woman with a little too much time on my hands.  As a diversion from the unbelievable election results, I watched Counting On, the pre show. I've seen those 2 weddings countless times and I shamefully watched again. I never noticed before just how dreadful Jill's hair was for her own wedding. Those loose braids around her head looked like she just crawled out of bed.  Also, for the first kiss,. Jill really did pucker up in a really funny sort of way.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Again I was confused as to why Jinger was so surprised by the proposal.   According to Boob, that is the entire premise behind a courtship.  You court with the intention of getting engaged and married.   Because if you just dated, you would be giving away pieces of your heart.  Therefore (according to logic - not something the Duggars have, but whatever),  one should anticipate/expect a proposal..... right??   Mind boggling.

Maybe she was told/coached/subliminally urged? to say that by family, producers,? For the effect on the audience, perhaps? Because that would be a point of drama and excitement for some viewers, I would think. And if she just took it as a matter of course, it wouldn't communicate any matching excitement for leghumpers?

On the other hand, maybe she's just a) brainwashed into embracing everything that happens as a wonderful surprise from the Lord and b) stupid. Both those things seem to be true.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Ratings, people. That's what they are going for. It was probably the third or fourth "take" til they got it right.

I flicked past this last night as it was ending. Looked like another recap of a rehash retrospect. Jinge was standing there wearing a dusty-looking granny gown with a Fred Rogers cardigan, both in compost heap colors.  Babe was all duded up with new kicks on bended knee...and they were both STANDING ON TAPEMARKS. So I say Take 25 ....at least.

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, drafan said:

I flicked past this last night as it was ending. Looked like another recap of a rehash retrospect. Jinge was standing there wearing a dusty-looking granny gown with a Fred Rogers cardigan, both in compost heap colors.  Babe was all duded up with new kicks on bended knee...and they were both STANDING ON TAPEMARKS. So I say Take 25 ....at least.

I noticed the tapemarks right away in the first few pics. and also the episode

God bless all of you who watched this. I have watched every other episode and could not subject myself to another recap episode last night LOL

• Love 1

I don't understand.  This show doesn't have to suck.  Or at least it doesn't have to suck so badly.  There is no excuse for the repetition of scenes.  The same scenes are shown several times in one episode ... before and after commercial breaks and then in the body of the show, then used again in different episodes as flashbacks and then recycled into show that are entirely made up of clips. Then they break the same crap out again for promos and commercials for the show.  It's just so damn LAZY.

I don't blame the Duggars.  This is 100% on the producers.  They have miles of footage, you know they do.  I realize the Duggars are boring as fuck, but being boring as fuck you could at least show different scenes of them being boring.  It would be a small improvement.  

It's like they are sabotaging the show on purpose or something.

• Love 19
7 hours ago, louannems said:

I'm just a newly retired woman with a little too much time on my hands.  As a diversion from the unbelievable election results, I watched Counting On, the pre show. I've seen those 2 weddings countless times and I shamefully watched again. I never noticed before just how dreadful Jill's hair was for her own wedding. Those loose braids around her head looked like she just crawled out of bed.  Also, for the first kiss,. Jill really did pucker up in a really funny sort of way.

Congrats on your retirement.  I also had the show on in my family room while I was in the kitchen so I was mainly listening.  If I hadn't known it was Jill saying her vows, I never would have guessed it was her by the soft baby voice she used.  This is probably the fifth time I've commented on it but it just baffles me.  At that time, she was the speaker for the older four girls & had a normal voice on the TH's.

I agree, her hair couldn't have looked worse.  It was even a mess when her & Derick did the First Look thing & that was soon after she got dressed.

Confession Time - I think I still have the original weddings on my DVR.  I have to have background noise when I do things so I have played Jill's many times.  Think I have parts memorized. One of my favorites is when MEchelle takes over where everyone should stand at altar.  "Girls on the outside, boys on the inside" (or vice versa) in her squeaky voice will forever be embedded in my brain. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Congrats on your retirement.  I also had the show on in my family room while I was in the kitchen so I was mainly listening.  If I hadn't known it was Jill saying her vows, I never would have guessed it was her by the soft baby voice she used.  This is probably the fifth time I've commented on it but it just baffles me.  At that time, she was the speaker for the older four girls & had a normal voice on the TH's.

Isn't this the way women are supposed to talk to their headships in patriarchal cultures? I've known a couple of Japanese women whose voices and demeanors turned on a dime when they went from talking in general to talking in the direct presence of their husbands. The turn to the soft, sort of sing songy, self effacing baby voice was so extreme and could happen so quickly that it looked like possession.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I'm sure it is ^^^^. I guess it's the first thing listed in The Wisdom Book that deals with marriage.

I wonder if there are practice exercises. Do you have to tape yourself so you can track your progress or something? It probably takes the whole courtship to work your way into it.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, I'm shocked they came anywhere close to a milion, especially with all the election drama last night.

I'm sure a lot of people were watching it as a means to escape the election drama.

And Barb23, I also always have to have some kind of sound, music, etc. in the background at all times.

• Love 3
On 11/8/2016 at 8:43 PM, Churchhoney said:

I'd call it contempt, rather than hate. But people keep watching it.  One of the few times that I watched about 20 minutes of an episode, I know that I saw the exact same talking head shown three times. Three times in one episode! And it was a really boring talking head, too. So I think there's a tradition, isn't there? No wonder they like broadcasting this thing, because it doesn't take them much work. Or even use up much videotape. I guess if something's cheap enough to produce you only need a handful of advertisers. They can probably go on with it until the whole gang is senile. ... Although come to think of it maybe they are already.

I've thought about how cheap it must be to produce reality TV compared to quality scripted shows. I'm sure that's partly why they're so popular! And you're right -- because of that, they may be just fine for the long run with only having a million or so viewers per week. 

On 11/9/2016 at 9:06 AM, woodscommaelle said:

When JB was teaching Amy and Jinger to drive, what the fuck was happening?  Why were they driving like a bunch of drunk assholes on the grass and not a paved road? 

I fast-forwarded straight through that part because it was boring and I can't stand Amy! But I'm guessing the producers thought it would be just hilarious if Boob took them bumping along in the grass. Yawn.

On 11/9/2016 at 9:28 AM, tabloidlover said:

They were falling over each other in the talking heads, trying to sell the "surprised" element but they weren't fooling anybody. Not only have perceptive people here pointed out that they had marks on the pavement, but Jinger already knew their courtship was on the fast track and that they had to have a wedding this season. TV takes a lot of setup and I'm sure it was abundantly clear from the elaborate setup, the band, etc., exactly what was going on.

On 11/9/2016 at 8:23 PM, Barb23 said:

• Love 1

When Jinge & Jessa went to work at Mama Carmen's coffee shop, Jessa was commenting on what they would do. She said they could be sweeping floors & cleaning toilets.  Little did she realize this was going to be her future husband's job description. 

• Love 9
On 11/9/2016 at 3:21 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

I don't understand.  This show doesn't have to suck.  Or at least it doesn't have to suck so badly.  There is no excuse for the repetition of scenes.  The same scenes are shown several times in one episode ... before and after commercial breaks and then in the body of the show, then used again in different episodes as flashbacks and then recycled into show that are entirely made up of clips. Then they break the same crap out again for promos and commercials for the show.  It's just so damn LAZY.

I don't blame the Duggars.  This is 100% on the producers.  They have miles of footage, you know they do.  I realize the Duggars are boring as fuck, but being boring as fuck you could at least show different scenes of them being boring.  It would be a small improvement.  

They would have ratings gold if they would have filmed the actual Duggar reality- especially with dealing with the scandal. I'd love to see a real duggar day by day. Michelle zonked out on the couch while Joy wrangles the howlers, Boob bossing Bin cleaning toilets, JD running off to whereever he can to gtfo out of the house lol.

Thats why I love the Kardashians ( I know, I know). While it is scripted they actually address things that are happening in their lives. 

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

They would have ratings gold if they would have filmed the actual Duggar reality- especially with dealing with the scandal. I'd love to see a real duggar day by day. Michelle zonked out on the couch while Joy wrangles the howlers, Boob bossing Bin cleaning toilets, JD running off to whereever he can to gtfo out of the house lol.

Thats why I love the Kardashians ( I know, I know). While it is scripted they actually address things that are happening in their lives. 

The problem is that actually addressing, well, pretty much anything remotely interesting in their lives would make their entire premise a lie. Admit that everything is not perfect and you admit that your way of life does not guarantee that you will be blessed and joyful. Show yourself enjoying more secular diversions and you admit that Jesus is not ALL

I suppose they could detour into "see the evil snares of Satan" territory, but fire & brimstone is not as appealing to the average viewer.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

The problem is that actually addressing, well, pretty much anything remotely interesting in their lives would make their entire premise a lie. Admit that everything is not perfect and you admit that your way of life does not guarantee that you will be blessed and joyful. Show yourself enjoying more secular diversions and you admit that Jesus is not ALL

I suppose they could detour into "see the evil snares of Satan" territory, but fire & brimstone is not as appealing to the average viewer.

A pipe dream I suppose :-) 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Yeah, but despite their love for money, unless they literally faced starvation -- and maybe not even then; they'd find some other grift -- the Duggars would never allow such a show. The entire premise of their lives is that if you're "godly" in the very particular way that they are, then you're rewarded for that by having your life be good in all the ways they want. And they view it as their "mission" to show that to the world in order to draw "thousands to God." Their whole lives are based on lies crafted to that end. So the show has to be as well. The simultaneously very frail and very hearty egos of JB and M demand that they be seen -- and can see themselves -- as fulfilling their "godly" mission at tip-top level.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
On 11/9/2016 at 9:28 AM, tabloidlover said:

I have a feeling that pretty much most of what is common sense surprises the hell out of most of the Duggars.  And if the proposal susprised her wait until she finds out what coitus hurryupis Holy Goalie leads to in nine months.  She's going to shocked.  shocked I say.  Never mind that getting pregnant is the one thing the Duggars as children had on pretty much every one of their peers.  I'm not sure how old I was when I figured out my mother had periods or that periods were the sign of no pregnancy.  I had progressive parents.  but I certainly knew long after the Simpletons of Sell Me Out Notch here.  Let alone have a cycle calendar on the fridge. 

I stayed off the television Tuesday night (in hopes of waking to a better world; fuck lot of good that turned out).  So the itty bitty can't see it with a naked eye means TLC lost one set of peepers and I might just visit and snark here and not bother to watch.  What I already know most like. 

• Love 9

I shut it ALL down on Tuesday and went with repeats of Downton Abbey on one of my (many) PBS stations. I eventually FFed through this mess, but I can't say that I really paid attention to it. As others noted, nothing new and most of it stuff they've shown the viewer on a continuous loop over the years (and in some cases, weeks). 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Barb23 said:

When Jinge & Jessa went to work at Mama Carmen's coffee shop, Jessa was commenting on what they would do. She said they could be sweeping floors & cleaning toilets.  Little did she realize this was going to be her future husband's job description. 

The coffee shop "volunteering" was one of the most ridiculous reality TV setups I've ever heard of. (Not that I watch any reality TV besides the Duggars and Bateses, actually.) But volunteering? Really? When an employee has to stand behind you the entire day telling you what buttons to push and how to get the specialty drinks together? Everyone knows that the first day of a retail job requires a person with you to get you familiarized with the job. So "volunteering" in retail for a single day is completely worthless and the worst kind of publicity stunt, especially since it highlighted the sadness that is the reality that a Duggar has never worked in a service industry like a normal young person.

• Love 10
On 10/11/2016 at 5:21 AM, Celia Rubenstein said:

TLC are trying to avoid working with Jimbob and Michelle, and they're the gatekeepers to the younger, and more "colorful", children. So we're left watching the kidults zits form.  

• Love 6

Koka, I think Boob still has a major hand in what goes on here. Like a quid pro quo for keeping Smuggar off the screen, which has, to this point, happened. He got something for this concession, no doubt. And since we've seen Smuggar has been welcomed back with open arms (at least by those who matter, aside from Jessa), this had to be a contractual thing.

I still wonder how much money Anna has made from Counting On, It can't be much, aside from her "bearing her heart" bit in the specials and the one shot she got in Counting On to say "something." Then they dumped her. 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, OSM Mom said:

Any bets as to whether Jing is pregnant yet? 

Is it too much to hope that Jeremy is perhaps "taking care" of this issue for the time being and doesn't want to bring a honeymoon baby into this marriage?  He's got to expose Jinge to the real world for a little while before he asks his childlike bride to become a mother.  Right?  RIGHT?!?

It's pathetic to take a girl who has zero experience in intimacy and have her immediately get pregnant.  I realize it takes two to tango, but the woman in question has the child-like zeal of a 12-year old experiencing her first crush.  And then suddenly, she's expecting?  It's not right.

I guess I'm hoping that Jeremy has enough real-life experience to break the mold with Jinger.  Dare to dream.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 10

I'm hoping that since this wedding had to work around birthdays and anniversaries that they didn't schedule it for her fertile time.  Assuming she has one; if she's skinny enough she may find it difficult to conceive anyway.  One can hope.  It'd be nice if she and Babe could be wild thangs together for a while before adding a baby to the mix.  

If she and Babe were looking tired on the honeymoon, I suspect it's jet lag.  Did they have a night after the wedding before boarding the plane?  If she was sore, that could have been a VERY long flight.

• Love 5

They said that they were not leaving immediately after the wedding. I remember Benessa spent a few days in Eureka Springs before leaving for Europe. Kissgate happened during this break. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3