Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: B.A.N.

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I laughed from beginning to end, but I lost it when I saw the blonde wig, and Paper Boi's laughter made it even funnier. "You look like a fake ass Ellen Degeneres...Felon Degeneres." "Bangs? Nobody told you not to do bangs?"

I didn't get the memo not to skip the commercials, so it wasn't until the Swisher Sweets commercial that I realized that they were part of the show. The cereal commercial was a little too real, and I found myself wondering if the kids were going to be shot.

Though it did nothing for the plot and Darius and Earn were absent I loved this episode.

• Love 17
49 minutes ago, Jodie Landon said:

I laughed from beginning to end, but I lost it when I saw the blonde wig, and Paper Boi's laughter made it even funnier. "You look like a fake ass Ellen Degeneres...Felon Degeneres." "Bangs? Nobody told you not to do bangs?"

I didn't get the memo not to skip the commercials, so it wasn't until the Swisher Sweets commercial that I realized that they were part of the show. The cereal commercial was a little too real, and I found myself wondering if the kids were going to be shot.

Though it did nothing for the plot and Darius and Earn were absent I loved this episode.

What plot? I mean this is just a extension of Alfred's rise to frame. The having to deal with media analyzing your work. It's all part of the plot.

• Love 1

So much goodness in this episode.  I know you can't do too many of this type of narrative; I'm not sure audiences or networks can handle more than one a season.  I hope I am wrong though.  I adored this type of approach and hope Mr. Glover & Co. have more ready for this season. 

Everything was so perfect.  The careful controlled rise of the absurd was just so well done.  The just right amount of veracity mixed in and the right boiling over to the Ridiculous without being ridiculous.  The Swisher Sweets, the reveal in the car ad, the cereal commercial and of course Ahmad.  Oh god the Ahmad ad had me dying. 

And all the tiny little details that were a part of the joke at yet delivered the whole atmosphere in just the right tone.  The malt liquor ad with the guy wearing a mask, you know, because.  And even the B.A.N. logo with the dancing silhouettes. 

The whole trans-race thing was such a deft blend of something you would see on the Dave Chappelle show and what you would see on the local news affiliate with the worst ratings and poorest ad revenue.   

And Montague's slow realization that Paper Boi and the Doctor were agreeing and subsequent horror and immediate attempts to get them riled at each other again was so funny. 

I need to watch this again because I know I missed stuff and I know that stuff I didn't will still be funny the second time around.  

Simply a fantastic episode.

• Love 13

I like how each episode the last few weeks has had a different tone. The Justin Bieber one was like some weird dreamlike David Lynch film, the episode last week was ultra-realistic, "Girls"-type awkwardness (except for the kid in whiteface at the end), and this episode was ridiculous, like Glover was trying to make a silly Adult Swim type parody show.  All the little details with the fake commercials and everything were great. 

• Love 5

I think my favorite thing about the whole episode was the straight from the early 80s smooth jazz theme music to Montague. And the fact that his name was Montague.  It was all so perfect!

i also love the fact that Glover went two episodes in a row without appearing (or barely in the case of Van's episode).  I missed him but clearly this show isn't just an exercise in ego for him.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 5

For me, this show went from really good to brilliant with this episode. I'm still trying to figure out what was up with the gender/racial reassignment analogy, but it made me think. And the rest of the episode made me laugh. 

8 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

And all the tiny little details that were a part of the joke at yet delivered the whole atmosphere in just the right tone.  The malt liquor ad with the guy wearing a mask, you know, because.  And even the B.A.N. logo with the dancing silhouettes. 

I also loved the detail of the chakra guy's commercial being shot on a cheap ass barely high def camera.

• Love 14

This was brilliant!  The head bobbing!  The Mickey's commercial!  The Dodge Charger guy at the gas station!  Identifying as white.  I've never been so happy to have something on my DVR to watch over and over.

Was "Ahmad" the same guy who made the sandwich on the bus in the 2nd episode?  I'm obsessed with the guy on the bus.

No dogs, right?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Was "Ahmad" the same guy who made the sandwich on the bus in the 2nd episode?  I'm obsessed with the guy on the bus.

I'm pretty sure he was. Shaved head, bow tie, nutella sandwiches. . .

• Love 3
6 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm still trying to figure out what was up with the gender/racial reassignment analogy, but it made me think.

That was a spoof of people who claimed they were "transracial" in the aftermath of the Rachel Dolezal insanity.

• Love 2

This is pretty much the best episode of TV I've seen this season. And for a half hour with next to no plot, that's saying something.  That Coconut Cruncho-s commercial alone makes up for Donald Glover leaving Community.

I mean, the lack of plot did bother me at first -- I was waiting all week to see how Van's situation would progress -- but then they gave me that Tavis-lite setup, Nathan Wielder, and the dying palm tree, and all was forgiven. I loved how gobsmacked Al and the professor were when they ended up in agreement and Montague kept trying to stir the pot.  And I probably disturbed a few neighbors when the "transracial" guy went on his transphobic rant.

• Love 4

This show!  Dammit.  I love how brilliant and experimental this is. We watched this on our DVR and didn't dare fast forward through the commercials.  LOL.  When a real one came on my husband said "This one is real.  White people are in it."

Paper Boi was fab "Where is tolerance for people like me."  And he had me rolling. 

Also: Drake Malfoy.  Bwah!

This Montague is such a Don Lemon.

Loved it!

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

That Coconut Cruncho-s commercial alone makes up for Donald Glover leaving Community.

It even came with a Cree Summer voiceover cameo! I love this show.

• Love 4

Like everyone else here I continue to be blown away by this show. The level of thought and detail that has been put into it is incredible - for example the cheesy stock-image backgrounds behind the converts to the creepy Nutella prophet's teachings in his commercial: I loved the way they weren't even consistently used, sometimes mismatched behind the speakers (one being a shabby, run-down, empty apartment!) to further undermine the mysticism. I also feel Donald Glover, in a single half hour, did more interestingly unsettling things with the tropes of documentary/talking-head television than Ryan Murphy has done in a half season of AHS: My Roanoke Nightmare.

• Love 9

Absolutely brilliant. I think the B.A.N. intro with the dancing silhouettes was honestly my favorite part. Everything about this was so on target. When you can't tell the parody commercials apart from the real commercials, that's when you know you've hit comedy gold. Ahmad was definitely the guy from the bus. I hope we see him in more episodes, popping up in unexpected ways like he did here. The fact that Paperboi started cracking up the second the "transracial" kid appeared onscreen absolutely killed me, along with the kid tattling on the black guy who called the cops. "That's him, officer." OMG DEAD.

I loved the way they weren't even consistently used, sometimes mismatched behind the speakers (one being a shabby, run-down, empty apartment!)

Yes! I noticed that too! Like, what the hell? Definitely reminds me of one of those late-night ads that make you wonder if you've already fallen asleep on the couch. I'm going to have to re-watch this episode. I think I might've missed a couple of the fake commercials.

• Love 6

Have I told you lately how much I need these forums in my life? After spending at least 35 minutes explaining to my boyfriend that, no, the commercials are fake (we had to pause the TV) and he just wasn't getting it and then I thought it finally got it, but then the Swisher commercial and he said, "I guess they really are fake. But how can you tell which ones aren't real?" Then I spent way too much time explaining to him who Cree Summer is, etc. I really liked that the interview with the transracial guy was all near my work, I love when I recognize locations! My favorite parts were when Paper Boi realized he wasn't getting paid, when Paper Boi and the expert were agreeing, and the biggest laugh went to Drake Malfoy. 

• Love 4

I've enjoyed every episode, but this one was next level. I would watch an entire episode of Paper Boi reacting to stuff. I missed several of his insults to the transracial guy because I was laughing so hard. Those commercials were hilarious. That Arizona Tea one had me rolling. 

ETA: I was rewatching and decided to call the number for the chakra guy. It rang a bunch of times, then a message began. I couldn't understand some of it because I started laughing, but I'm pretty sure it said he was unavailable due to a brief incarceration. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 8

I'm still trying to figure out wtf having enough crystal in your diet has to do with getting a nice house LOL. The randomness (including the changing backgrounds a previous poster mentioned) took me over the edge.

This episode was just amazing. I didn't get the Arizona commercial until a friend explained that some merchants jack up the price willy nilly and it often doesn't match what's on the can. That's such subtle and brilliant social commentary. 

Paper Boi is a gem and Brian Tyree Henry is an amazing actor. Before he even said a word, his body language have off the vibe of "this is some bullshit"/Marshawn Lynchian y'all know why I'm here. His unabashed laughter when Harrison appeared literally had tears rolling down my face.

And then Harrison was virulently homophobic. It wasn't haha funny, it was funny exactly the way Paper Boi said it was. After all that, this guy has no tolerance for other minorities. More brilliant social commentary.

So much to laugh at and love. The one thing that didn't work for me was the Dodge punchline.

I really hope we get an article explaining the process by which these companies agreed to these spoof ads.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, withanaich said:

I didn't notice the placement, but the font looked too big for the host's entire name to fit. Now I definitely have to re-watch.

And, look, his was turned to say MON and the guests's said AGUE. Now in French Mon is my and Ague refers to a disease or fever. Am I making too much out of it?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, withanaich said:

The kicker would be if we're just assuming they say MONTAGUE, but they really say two different things. What, I don't know. Now I'm making too much out of it...

LMBO... But your point could be valid because just as you said the font was huge and Montague is a really long name.

It's just that they took the time to make sure they were placed the exact same way each time.

(still laughing at withanaich)

• Love 1
On 10/13/2016 at 7:39 PM, calliope1975 said:

I've enjoyed every episode, but this one was next level. I would watch an entire episode of Paper Boi reacting to stuff. I missed several of his insults to the transracial guy because I was laughing so hard. Those commercials were hilarious. That Arizona Tea one had me rolling. 

ETA: I was rewatching and decided to call the number for the chakra guy. It rang a bunch of times, then a message began. I couldn't understand some of it because I started laughing, but I'm pretty sure it said he was unavailable due to a brief incarceration. 

Yes! I laughed more at him than anything. Hysterical. I'm not familiar with the actor but he is fantastic  I love that you called the number.

• Love 1

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said.  Just brilliant, from start to finish.  The work that went into this one, the sheer creativity is just mindblowing.  This definitely elevated it from a good comedy to some incredible television.

• Love 3

Wasn't the guy driving the Dodge Charger the same one that Van's friend set her up with in the restaurant scene from the previous episode?

Oh my god! Oh my god, WAS IT?! Y'all are going to make me keep re-watching episodes of this show ... not just because it's funny, but to find all these hidden gems. 

• Love 2

1-260-33QUEST. If you'd like to be smart as a baby dolphin, call now.

This episode came out of nowhere. It was weird, but good. I think there are many serious undertones to this comedy, so I'm a little uncomfortable laughing through all of it. Nevertheless, often the best humour is really pushing that boundary between funny and distasteful.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:53 PM, Superpole2000 said:

1-260-33QUEST. If you'd like to be smart as a baby dolphin, call now.

This episode came out of nowhere. It was weird, but good. I think there are many serious undertones to this comedy, so I'm a little uncomfortable laughing through all of it. Nevertheless, often the best humour is really pushing that boundary between funny and distasteful.

I am praying to work this into conversation ASAP (I'm tardy to the party tho): you're as smart as a baby dolphin!

@DrSparkles I'm even later than that.   Why did I start binge watching this for the first time last night? 

On 10/12/2016 at 7:29 PM, DearEvette said:

This show!  Dammit.  I love how brilliant and experimental this is. We watched this on our DVR and didn't dare fast forward through the commercials.  LOL.  When a real one came on my husband said "This one is real.  White people are in it."

Paper Boi was fab "Where is tolerance for people like me."  And he had me rolling. 

Also: Drake Malfoy.  Bwah!

This Montague is such a Don Lemon.

Loved it!

Now see?  This alone.   The fact that this even stands out as a commentary and would only ever be noticeable to mainstream if commercials were all black, all the time, is, itself so damn brilliant I couldn't take it.  I've been living in a van down by the river so this show hadn't crossed my radar before but if this episode was an example of the writing submitted to the committee, I understand why Glover's a multiple Emmy winner.   I didn't realize they were fake until the second commercial.  At first, I was like look at Dodge bossing up their diversity game?  By the time we got to the next ad: 

On 10/13/2016 at 7:39 PM, calliope1975 said:

When I say I rolled onto the floor?  At:  "The price is on the can, though"   done.  My whole soul jiggled as I watch the cashier in conflict trying to figure out how to remedy this mess. 

I promise the two of the best things I've ever seen on television happened in this episode.  One of them was the way in which the dozens unfold, it's almost like you could see Paper Boi's evolution of spontaneous hilarity.   And his delivery closed my coffin.   You look like a fake Ellen Degeneres......Felon Degeneres.   Lol.  But there was one more in the chamber.  N_ _ _ _ , you look a dying palm tree.    I rewound a couple seconds then crumpled because I could see it.      Second moment was the wolf in the cereal commercial telling the officer - look, real talk? I coulda eaten these kids, I just want a bowl of muffucin cereal.    No. More. Good.  

Honorable mention to Harrison's mother wishing she could just wake up and call herself Rihanna and to one of Ahmad's clients who is touting that the system works, from inside an abandoned trap house.   

I read that Katt Williams makes a guest appearance in Season 2.    Can't wait to get caught up. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

FX is running a marathon for Juneteenth and man, that Coconut Crunch-Os commercial hits kinda different now.

I was thinking the same thing.

I had forgotten how hilarious this episode is.