Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Surf N Turf

Lisin

A noise complaint at a boxer's home leads Riggs and Murtaugh to a case involving illegal gun runners and Riggs becomes personally invested in the outcome when one of their targets reminds him of his late wife. Meanwhile, Trish worries about Murtaugh's health.

This show continues to have its charms.  All the characters are meshing nicely, I especially like the Captain, the Shrink, and Murtaugh's wife.  

Line of the night "I'm taking Riggs to a gun factory.  What could go wrong?"

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

Still not liking Jordana Brewster's Dr. Cahill. So I pray to God she and Riggs never "go there". Other than that, this continues to gel nicely! Loved the impromptu fireworks after the explosion. And Riggs/Murtaugh seem to slowly be forging a bond.

I do like this adaption of Trish Murtaugh. No disrespect to Darlene Love, as I liked her version, but Keesha Sharpe seems to have more to do thanks to being a lawyer as well as a wife and mom, so that change seems to benefit Trish...and putting her in situations where Trish wouldn't be in the movies!

• Love 12

I love Martin and Roger. The scene where Roger looked through the house looking for Riggs and he finds that Riggs cleaned up dinner and passed out cemented my love for them. I love the actors' chemistry too.

I like that Roger is slowly coming around to Riggs. And I like that Roger's wife Trish is not the trope of a nagging angry wife, but is recognizing what Roger needs and is trying to be supportive but realistic. I also like that she is supporting Martin too. He definitely needs people to support him.

I really like that Riggs isn't the wild-eyed crazy that Gibson protrayed him as. This Riggs is still reckless, but to echo Trish, "not crazy." Depressed, upset, reckless, but also dedicated, empathetic, and definitely likes working with Roger.

I'm in for the season.

• Love 24

I love this show. The characters and their banter are so perfect, from the take your shades off, put the shades back on. And Martin not letting Roger have any of the ribs at the end because Trish told Roger he couldn't have them.

I am so glad I gave this show a shot.

1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

I do like this adaption of Trish Murtaugh. No disrespect to Darlene Love, as I liked her version, but Keesha Sharpe seems to have more to do thanks to being a lawyer as well as a wife and mom, so that change seems to benefit Trish...and putting her in situations where Trish wouldn't be in the movies!

I was going to ask if Trish was anything more than Roger's Wife in the original movies, because I honestly do not remember, and it has been so long since I watched them.

• Love 4

I'm seriously loving this show. Every time I'm done watching, I have the biggest smile on my face. The cast is great, the chemistry is off the charts, the banter is amusing and I'm always left wanting more. Fox better not cancel this or I'll be livid.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Last Time Lord said:

I was going to ask if Trish was anything more than Roger's Wife in the original movies, because I honestly do not remember, and it has been so long since I watched them.

Mrs. Murtaugh 1.0 was written as 45+ ...no way she was having a newborn...and she did not have an outside career

5 minutes ago, paigow said:

Mrs. Murtaugh 1.0 was written as 45+ ...no way she was having a newborn...and she did not have an outside career

I figured Mrs 2.0 is almost as unlikely having the baby with her husband having cardiac problems. I think it was most probably a surprise 

• Love 1

No second episode let-down for me.  I'll admit I got a bit verklempt when Riggs shifted the photo of his wife to the window "for her to look out". And when Murtaugh covered the sleeping Riggs with a towel. This Riggs is reckless but he has a sweetness to him Gibson's version never had.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

I'm seriously loving this show. Every time I'm done watching, I have the biggest smile on my face. The cast is great, the chemistry is off the charts, the banter is amusing and I'm always left wanting more. Fox better not cancel this or I'll be livid.

You and me both, I have laughed out loud during both episodes that have aired. I'm having a blast with this show. 

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Raja said:

I figured Mrs 2.0 is almost as unlikely having the baby with her husband having cardiac problems. I think it was most probably a surprise 

If I recall correctly from the pilot, it was.  It was an unexpected baby when she was 43 and he was 49.

There are some things I love about this show and there are some things that bug me.  Luckily, the things that I love so far outweigh the things that bug me.  The duo of Riggs and Murtaugh have a lot of great chemistry, as does Kevin Rahm and Keesha Sharp when they're with them.  That's four really strong players.  And the show was even more amusing to me than the pilot. It's not perfect but I can tell that this is going to settle into a really solid show.

The things that bug me include the shrink.  I don't know why they felt they needed to expand this character from the movie.  Since she's Martin's psychiatrist, I would hope they never get romantic.  Her spilling the beans that he lost a child, which I assume she learned out in their alledgedly "confidential" sessions, was already one strike against her professionalism.  Dating a patient/former patient would be another.  I can already tell they're going to try to squeeze her into the mysteries to give her more to do even though I doubt they're going to make it natural. If I'm wrong, I'll say I'm wrong but I don't think this was a good decision.  I run lukewarm on Jordana Brewster and the characterization isn't helping much.

Another thing that bugged me was how they used music in the beginning of this episode when they kept switching back and forth between the Murtaughs and Martin at the bar.  Maybe they're trying to evoke the "It's Probably Me" use of music in the third film (or maybe 4th?) but it just felt very dated.  And annoying.

But this so far is a fun, low stress show that I'm glad to have on my DVR...even if I figured out the "surprise" twist soon after seeing that visiting cop or agent.

• Love 2

A movie holdover I do like is the music trying to be close in tone to the movies. But that may very well be because I got a kick out of the fact that Eric Clapton shaped the score with the late Michael Kamen, and I felt his guitar set the mood perfectly.

So if the series tries or is even just paying homage, I'm okay with it.  :-)

• Love 2

I also laughed out loud at the fireworks, and their boss wanting to know where they were. My favourite bit was Riggs telling Murtaugh, "She said NO". LOL. 

I didn't give it my full attention last week, but I enjoyed what I saw. I'm loving it this week. I hope they keep it on the air. 

• Love 6

This is just a fun show. I will give credit to Damon Wayans he cracked me up when he was telling the other cops at the end about his exploits.  I think his comic background was an asset even though he is playing the streight guy.  I don't really have a problem with the psychiatrist other than it seems so super obvious she is a love interest. It might be a smarter move if they make her married.  I do think Martin does need to see someone but that likely all his healing will happen due to Roger and family. 

I like the captain but doesn't he ever go home?  

If I had one complaint I still don't like the action scenes. The jump off the roof and into another apartment was just insane and kind of lame. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

I love this show.

9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I'm seriously loving this show.

7 hours ago, missbonnie said:

You and me both

Add me to the chorus! I might have seen one of the movies (the third or fourth one) but have never really cared about this franchise in general. I also dislike Mel Gibson in specific. But this show is so much fun and brings great emotional moments. It's on Fox, right? I will treasure each of the dozen episodes.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, paigow said:

I think in the last movie Murtaugh suddenly had a lot of cash so it was a running gag that maybe he was on the take.  Turned out his wife was writing trashy romance novels.  That was the closest thing to a career they gave his wife.

• Love 3

I get it now!  This is a Sci-Fi show!

It only remains to be revealed exactly what type of alien technology allowed Riggs to fly nearly 100 feet across the street while carrying a passenger!  Will it be a jetpack concealed in his belt?  Little wings that sprout from his ankles?  Good old-fashioned teleportation?  Or tractor beams?  

• Love 1

I love this show, too! I just understand now that I have to suspend my belief in physics, gravity and how much of a beating the human body can take and still be able to survive. 

I love that Damon Wayans is the straight guy but he's still funny on his own. I love that Rog looks out for Riggs so much already and they have such an easy, natural banter after only knowing each other a few days. I love the Mrs. Murtaugh sees how much they both need each other, yet still makes it clear what she expects from each. I love that we'll hopefully see Riggs' journey from emotional wreck to stable again. I loved "Starsky and Hutch", "chips and salsa", "surf and turf", and the running gag of how big their tab with the city was.

I don't love the shrink and how they are shoehorning her in already. I'm hoping we'll see her fazed out over the season. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 8

Most action shows you need suspend your disbelief in Gravity and physics.  Bullets hit when they need to hit and miss when it's funny that they miss.  LW is less a procedural and more a comedy action cop show.  More NCIS LA then NCIS if I could compare it to other shows of its ilk.  I doubt there will be much logic involved and more Riggs playing with guns in a firecracker factory.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Still not liking Jordana Brewster's Dr. Cahill.

Agreed.  She is the only element in the show I don't like, you know, once I accepted this.

25 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Most action shows you need suspend your disbelief in Gravity and physics.

• Love 1

I just love this show. It's very silly at times, but I like silly shows when the acting underneath is actually pretty great. Wayans and Crawford are so good together, and believably forging a great friendship amidst all the nutty over the top stunts. 

Plus, between this show and This Is Us, we now have two wives written in a way that they are real people, not just cliches of the over-burdened, under-supported nagging wife. Refreshing. 

I hope it stays this good. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Last Time Lord said:

I do hope the show does eventually introduces a plot beyond the case of the week.

The plot beyond the crime of the week is Riggs' recovering from losing his family

• Love 1

Tiny thing I did not get about this episode: how could Murtaugh recognize crooked ATF guy's voice when crooked ATF guy had not answered the phone?

They're really doing a great job creating interesting character dynamics especially with Mrs. Murtaugh - a character that could have easily fallen victim to the nagging wife trope. I also like how they are slowly adding more regular characters and fleshing them out (Murtaugh's protegé and Scorsese).

And yes, this Riggs is less of a maniac than the movie version. Which is probably a wise move since that level of crazy would be hard to sustain for just one season let alone several.

The one thing that isn't working is the shrink. But that character was also not working in the movies. And there's more to it than just the actress. The movies made it clear that therapy was never going to help Riggs and there were some worrying undertones to that theme. It's obviously a cop show trope - annoying touchy feely therapist's who have no idea how life really works. And I wish the show would not go there and try give a more nuanced portrayal of how therapy can help even a tough alpha male without actually solving all his problems. Numb3rs did a pretty good job with such a story-line. Also: no to her being a possible love-interest. A) not professional and B) if even Person of Interest couldn't get away with a plot better let it be.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Tiny thing I did not get about this episode: how could Murtaugh recognize crooked ATF guy's voice when crooked ATF guy had not answered the phone?

I wondered that too.  Then I figured since ATF guy didn't answer his phone it went to voicemail. 

• Love 2

As long as Keesha Sharp continues to bring it and the adorable baby daughter pops up once an episode, I'll continue to watch. The best line for me was when the captain said something like, "Crockett and Tubbs, get in here." Ha! 

I thought ATF guy inadvertently answered when he was putting the phone away, but who knows.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Add me to the chorus! I might have seen one of the movies (the third or fourth one) but have never really cared about this franchise in general. I also dislike Mel Gibson in specific. But this show is so much fun and brings great emotional moments. It's on Fox, right? I will treasure each of the dozen episodes.

Wait, we only get a half a season?? That sucks. 

This show continues to be pretty great. I agree that they need to include an overarching story for the season other then Riggs's coping with the lose of his wife and child. The chemistry is great all around, and while I love Jordana Brewster, her character is the one who is least likable and developed - I hope they work on her. Anyway, I'm enjoying myself and can't wait for more episodes. Don't cancel this show Fox. I'm still sad that ABC canceled Forever last year.

Edited by tanita

Fox please don't cancel this!!

I'm really enjoying this as well, I love the banter and silliness, "Put your damn shades back on!" I loved Roger's apron and the way he talked so lovingly about his ribs. Mrs. Murtagh is also a great addition, Keesha Sharp has a beautiful smile. My favorite part was them stumbling around in the dark looking for the fridge.

• Love 2

I'm so glad I gave this show a chance. I was very reluctant because I HATE remakes but, this is really fun.

This show has some great lines, "She Said No" and "Someone please tell me where Riggs and Murtagh are". I also like how they're slowly developing the friendship between the two leads.

I don't have a problem with Jordana Brewster but i echo others in that i really hope they don't try for a romantic relationship between her and Riggs.

The one thing the bugs me a bit is that they seems to pulls scenes/vibes from the later movies while setting the characters in a early Lethal Weapon 1 scenario.  For instance the scene with the Captain and the jokes about the property damage seemed straight out of LW3. Also the joking about their names/pairing reminded me of their rapport in LW2.  That's not a negative in and of itself but, it takes me out of the episode when we get scenes like that while their relationship is so new.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, tanita said:

This show continues to be pretty great. I agree that they need to include an overarching story for the season other then Riggs's coping with the lose of his wife and child. The chemistry is great all around, and while I love Jordana Brewster, her character is the one who is least likable and developed - I hope they work on her. Anyway, I'm enjoying myself and can't wait for more episodes. Don't cancel this show Fox. I'm still sad that ABC canceled Forever last year.

I think too many cop shows try to go the grand conspiracy route as if the street crime and random murderers they deal with is all in service of a single master. Bringing in a South African equivalent would only serve to show a fear of straying too much from the source movies 

• Love 3

The only reason I don't like the psychiatrist is because TV producers don't understand professional ethics and it makes it look like she's Rigg's end game. If there was some assurance that it would remain on a professional level, I would probably be okay with her.  This is one of the oldest TV tropes in the world. They should have cast a man in the role or anyone people wouldn't think was a potential love interest. 

I enjoy the show other than that though. I haven't seen the original movie since it came out in the '80s. I don't have a problem with this version. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

The only reason I don't like the psychiatrist is because TV producers don't understand professional ethics and it makes it look like she's Rigg's end game. If there was some assurance that it would remain on a professional level, I would probably be okay with her.  

You know, i think that's the crux. I like that she's more sympathetic/empathetic to Riggs than the movie shrink who, was pretty much a petty antagonist. However, the fact that they cast a young/hot female shrink who is compassionate just sets off my fears of potential LI.

• Love 3
On 9/29/2016 at 0:29 AM, Irlandesa said:

The things that bug me include the shrink.  I don't know why they felt they needed to expand this character from the movie.  Since she's Martin's psychiatrist, I would hope they never get romantic.  Her spilling the beans that he lost a child, which I assume she learned out in their alledgedly "confidential" sessions, was already one strike against her professionalism.  Dating a patient/former patient would be another.  I can already tell they're going to try to squeeze her into the mysteries to give her more to do even though I doubt they're going to make it natural. If I'm wrong, I'll say I'm wrong but I don't think this was a good decision.  I run lukewarm on Jordana Brewster and the characterization isn't helping much.

I teach psychology and am a licensed counselor and confidentiality all depends on the parameters of said relationship. IF the psychiatrist is in a situation of a third-party payer that means that she is paid by the police department and as such she is required to report back on the mental status of the police sent to her. She did intone that her decision would allow or disallow his return to active duty. This is an area of forensic psychology (which has nothing to do with the science of crime scenes), but the idea that the person works within the criminal justice system in many capacities.  Often, departments have clinical psychologists and not psychiatrists, there could be exceptions, but that is unusual. In my experience, cops often respond better to people who have been in their shoes (military or prior cops, or people who have criminal justice backgrounds) and who then go back to school to become a counselor/psychologist. The blue wall of silence thing. The concept of third-party payer also applies to pro sports franchises and other entities where the confidentiality is to the organization that has hired you NOT the client. Cops/clients would know this upfront as it is part of the informed consent. The cop or athlete knows that what is determined by the psych professional is going to be reported back to the team or the department for purposes of understanding if you can continue in your job or capacity (same goes for court evals for divorce proceedings, custody and ability to stand trial, insanity defense-stuff like that). Now with all that said, blurting out that stuff in the elevator, was a breach of confidentiality to the department/organization (the payer) in general because Riggs' partner may not be allowed the information, but the captain might. When I used to work psychiatric we were trained never to start discussing patients in the elevators. It is easy to forget that someone else may step in and be listening. I don't like the psychiatrist either. She is pushing too hard and he isn't ready yet.  Counseling 101-build trust first. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Raja said:

I think too many cop shows try to go the grand conspiracy route as if the street crime and random murderers they deal with is all in service of a single master. Bringing in a South African equivalent would only serve to show a fear of straying too much from the source movies 

Why would it have to be the same South African plot line as the second movie ? That wasn't what I was advocating, not to mention that it's not very topical anymore like it was 20 years ago. This is a crime based show so I would assume that that arc would involve some type of criminal and or politician conspiracy that they will soon encounter. Given that it's set in LA, I would assume that the crimes would be Mexican gangs related. Or a police/dirty cop conspiracy,...

To be honest, I'm over "case of the week" television. i like serialization of tv shows, whether it's minor like in Rizzoli & Isles (which had a bare minimum of it) or like Person of Interest that became almost completly serialized by the end.

In the movies, the Murtaugh kids were not particularly bright....Nick was a slacker...but TV Junior is Princeton bound... Maybe the bigger plot is coping with college debt and Roger turning into a dirty cop to cover the expenses....

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, paigow said:

In the movies, the Murtaugh kids were not particularly bright....Nick was a slacker...but TV Junior is Princeton bound... Maybe the bigger plot is coping with college debt and Roger turning into a dirty cop to cover the expenses....

In the movies, Rianne seemed smart enough - beyond crushing on Riggs. And the younger daughter seemed a nonentity, poor thing. Maybe the Murtaugh kids on the series are younger because Wayans' Roger seems like a "hipper" 50 than Danny Glover's version was.

11 hours ago, paigow said:

But it seems they are loaded.  Trish appears to be a high priced criminal lawyer.  I think Princeton makes sense where his mom is a lawyer in this verson. 

I didn't take too much objection to the shrink "spillng the beans" beucase I don't think that the fact that Rigg's wife was pregnant or that his wife died, is confidential. It is a fact you can get off google.  Obituaries are on line and easily googleable. I also think it is something that probably should have mentioned to Roger just so he didn't put his foot in his mouth. What is confidential I think is how Martin feels about that or anything he shares in his confidential sessions.  I think the jig was kind of up anyway as there was no reason for the shrink to show up to watch Martin talk to the pregnant lady if something about the woman being pregnant couldn't be an issue. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BooBear said:

I didn't take too much objection to the shrink "spillng the beans" beucase I don't think that the fact that Rigg's wife was pregnant or that his wife died, is confidential

Sure, it's something one can get off Google. But I think if it is not something advertised by Riggs, it could still come back to privacy. Maybe in essence, it's "common" knowledge. But it is also understood that stuff said with a shrink (or a priest) should be considered as confidential unless Riggs gives his personal okay to spill. And he didn't. Seemed unethical for Cahill to be having verbal diarrhea, since the whole point of Riggs having to see her comes down to that very loss.

On 10/1/2016 at 0:27 AM, Raja said:

I think too many cop shows try to go the grand conspiracy route as if the street crime and random murderers they deal with is all in service of a single master. 

Good point.  

1 hour ago, Watermelon said:

Speaking of obituaries, what must Mrs. Riggs' say if literally no one can figure out Riggs' "friend in high places" is his father in law?

Maybe her maiden name was different. I'm able to hand wave it because I can't see anyone in LA caring enough to look into who Riggs was married to in El Paso and make the connection.  

• Love 1

I'm enjoying the show but also feel like they're jumping too deep into the friendship too quickly - Roger is a police detective, father of three, and recovering from a major heart attack; he should have hesitations about getting into a bar fight (which they apparently did) let alone the multiple car chases and gun battles.

5 minutes ago, dusang said:

I'm enjoying the show but also feel like they're jumping too deep into the friendship too quickly - Roger is a police detective, father of three, and recovering from a major heart attack; he should have hesitations about getting into a bar fight (which they apparently did) let alone the multiple car chases and gun battles.

I buy it. The pilot showed him antsy to go back to work. I have no doubt he loves his family, but I think Roger - this TV version, anyway! - also welcomes the rush (and mayhem) that comes with the job. It may be diametrically opposed to his recent heart attack, true, but I think he doesn't want that to slow him down.

• Love 3

I wasn't upset with Cahill for saying that Riggs lost his baby. I wanted Murtaugh to know. I wasn't looking forward to too many more episodes where only the audience understands the constricted looks that cross Riggs' face whenever newborns or fatherhood are brought up. Finally Murtaugh understood what that "some parent you'd make" comment cost Riggs.

It's not like she told a stranger, or the newspaper, or Bob from accounting. She told Riggs' partner and his boss. Two people who need to understand the full impact of what Riggs lost, so that they don't simply dismiss him as nuts. Because both of them did. In episode one, Murtaugh said Riggs would be in a padded room if it was up to him. In episode two, the captain is impatiently asking Cahill to verify that Riggs is a nutcase so he can get rid of him. She responds, "No, he's not crazy, he's in pain because he lost his family." Personally, I think it needed to be said. I agree with Trish. Riggs isn't crazy. And for what it's worth, it was pretty clear that Cahill thought Murtaugh already knew, anyway.

As a character, Cahill has yet to make an impression on me. They've presented almost everyone else as a human being, while Cahill is only the immaculate face of psychological scrutiny. Until they give us something about who she is as a person, she's not going to share any of the affection I have for the other characters. I gotta say that to look at her, I don't really buy her as a PhD psychologist. And I have no clue why she was at that bank heist at the beginning of episode one. I kind of assumed she'd be a love interest for Riggs, which doesn't thrill me. It would only be viable in the far future, and Riggs would need to have changed counselors. Even then, I'm not excited. I loved Rene Russo's portrayal of Lorna Cole in the movies. I'm holding a torch for her.

• Love 2