Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Jason Mendoza

3 minutes ago, RainbowBrite said:

My DVR cut off. What happened at the end with Tahani??

I don't think anything happened. She looks at the sinkhole, but then walks away.

My question is if there's any significance to her being dressed like Alice in Wonderland in that shot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

The sink hole was expanding - they showed the floor boards around her falling in, but they did not show her falling in. 

I didn't notice her wearing a different outfit than what she had on earlier in the ep.

It looked to me like she put on like a little white cape or something, which, contrasted with the blue of her dress, make her resemble the Alice in Wonderland from the old animated Disney film. Although it is certainly possible that isn't at all what she was wearing - I'll have to rewatch tomorrow to see if I still see it. :-)

On other topics, while there were some very good bits in this episode, I don't think it all hung together very well.  I liked the super intense chef who was actually very happy, I liked Jason's flashbacks and am excited to see just which plan it was that got him killed (I mean, we know it was the last one, but what was the plan itself? Was he blowing up another boat?), and I could probably watch Ted Danson playing with suspenders for an entire hour. I also really liked that Eleanor was selfish in wanting to keep Jason's secret primarily so her own wouldn't be exposed, but was genuine in her praise of Chidi, and I loved that Chidi seemed touched by her praise. But all at the same time made it feel like a very overstuffed 22 minutes, and none of the ideas really got the development they deserved. Especially the suspenders, because, really: they are so dumb.

Additionally, it was set up in the pilot that Eleanor probably hasn't taken someone else's spot in the Good Place, because Michael got her name right even if he got her life wrong. But now, if Michael thinks Jason is Jianyu, does that mean the real Jianyu is in the Bad Place? 

Still, I'm really enjoying this show and looking forward to see where it goes. I do wonder, though, if seeing 3 episodes in one week has made me a little impatient to find out what comes next?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

The sink hole was expanding - they showed the floor boards around her falling in, but they did not show her falling in. 

I didn't notice her wearing a different outfit than what she had on earlier in the ep.

It was different.  Early in the day she was wearing a summery strapless floral print, then a black strapless evening dress at the cafe opening, then the short blue dress and a white fur cape (rabbit?) as she looked down the hole.  So yeah, maybe it's an Alice in Wonderland thing.   Does she always wear strapless, so her hair can cascade without obstruction? 

• Love 2

This is such a quirky, silly, weird show....which of course means i'd like it.   ;)    

Interesting that they made Jason not only stupid, but a pretty big loser in life. One wonders how long his character will stay on the show. 

• Love 5

I thought it was established in the pilot that Chidi spoke French and The Good Place translated like a TARDIS him to English for Eleanor and those speaking English or other languages to French.  If so, why would "bud-hole" be an issue for him?  Wouldn't he hear it in French?... Whatever, I don't even have a clue what the nerd slang equivalent might be.  I'm putting this aside now. I'm really enjoying this show.

It seems, however screwed up this Good Place might be, that many of the people there are not mess ups and have  accurate histories.  Most of them, including Chidi, seem to have gotten meals they genuinely loved and Chidi and Tahani both seem to have the correct pasts. It does appear that the people there, even those with the names and backgrounds Michael associates with them, have some flaws which, by the standards indicated in the pilot, would likely keep them out.  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RachelKM said:

I thought it was established in the pilot that Chidi spoke French and The Good Place translated like a TARDIS him to English for Eleanor and those speaking English or other languages to French.  If so, why would "bud-hole" issue for him?  Wouldn't he hear it in French?... Whatever, I don't even have a clue what the nerd slang equivalent might be.  I'm putting this aside now. I'm really enjoying this show.

It seems, however screwed up this Good Place might be, that many of the people there are not mess ups and have  accurate histories.  Most of them, including Chidi, seem to have gotten meals they genuinely loved and Chidi and Tahani both seem to have the correct pasts. It does appear that the people there, even those with the names and backgrounds Michael associates with them, have some flaws which, by the standards indicated in the pilot, would likely keep them out.  

Bud-hole sounds like butthole.

• Love 1

Jason (RIP, Jianyu, I guess!) is cracking me up.  I like that his brand of flaws that are likely making him not "right" for The Good Place, are different the Eleanor's.  Eleanor's issues seemed to come out of arrogance, ego, and selfishness, while Jason's seem to be just straight-up stupidity making him do bad things.  Showing flashbacks to his time before The Good Place was a nice surprise.  I wonder if they're just going to stick with these two, or if we'll ever get flashbacks to Chidi and Tahani, even though they current are still apparently suppose to be in The Good Place.

I really want to know more about Michael, and what he was doing before all of this.  Apparently, he just learned about suspenders, and there have been other examples of him still clearly not familiar with normal human stuff.  The stuff between him and Tahani were fun, but I do hope they start getting to Michael and Eleanor working together soon, but that just seems like comedic gold in the making.

Kristen Bell's face when Eleanor figures out she is finally going to be the smartest person in a classroom, was the greatest.  Right along with Jason's "I'm hear to learn about ethnics!"  I could watch an entire episode of Chidi trying to teach both of them.

Really enjoying this show.

• Love 16

I felt that this episode is the weakest of the four. Even with that, I am definitely hooked.  I loved Michael's outright delight at suspenders.  When Tahani was puzzled about Michael wanting to wear them, I thought they were going in the direction of making a joke about the British use of the word suspenders for the article of clothing we call garters (as in the things that attach stockings to a corset). 

I continue to love the little things, like the flyers on the post where Tahani put the re-opening sign.  There was one for teaching your cat how to do tricks, another said "buy 0 get 2 free."

• Love 7
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Jason (RIP, Jianyu, I guess!) is cracking me up.  I like that his brand of flaws that are likely making him not "right" for The Good Place, are different the Eleanor's.  Eleanor's issues seemed to come out of arrogance, ego, and selfishness, while Jason's seem to be just straight-up stupidity making him do bad things.  Showing flashbacks to his time before The Good Place was a nice surprise.  I wonder if they're just going to stick with these two, or if we'll ever get flashbacks to Chidi and Tahani, even though they current are still apparently suppose to be in The Good Place.

I really want to know more about Michael, and what he was doing before all of this.  Apparently, he just learned about suspenders, and there have been other examples of him still clearly not familiar with normal human stuff.  The stuff between him and Tahani were fun, but I do hope they start getting to Michael and Eleanor working together soon, but that just seems like comedic gold in the making.

Kristen Bell's face when Eleanor figures out she is finally going to be the smartest person in a classroom, was the greatest.  Right along with Jason's "I'm hear to learn about ethnics!"  I could watch an entire episode of Chidi trying to teach both of them.

Really enjoying this show.

I could watch an ep composed solely of Ethics 101 with Chidi as well. "None of these philosophers are ever talking about masturbation!"

Could it be that Michael was sent to the Good Place before suspenders were invented?

• Love 3

Michael's a celestial being who didn't wear human clothing before he took on this neighborhood. I don't think it's an issue of when suspenders were invented, just of him not having any reason to be particularly familiar with them. Although as architect he seemed plenty familiar with other human things he supplied for the residents so...erm...TV-logic.

• Love 5

Loved that Jason was the fake faux deadmau5! And that Jason's DJ name was DJ Music! Jason is an idiot but so far I like him because for the most part he seems like a believable idiot. Eleanor had him pegged when she described the decor in his budhole as a 13 year old meets a 12 year old.

Tahani made an effort to spout something British to Michael which made me wonder if she's faking it and doesn't belong there either. We know that Michael told both Eleanor and Jason what he thought he knew about them when they arrived so they were both able to play along. Maybe he told Tahani she was a British fundraiser so she just went with it like they did. At the very least, that moment made me suspect that either she isn't British or that her real accent isn't quite as posh. 

• Love 9

It seems, however screwed up this Good Place might be, that many of the people there are not mess ups and have  accurate histories. 

Eh, I think Chidi is a really nice guy, but I think the point is none of these people are so exceptional they are better than Florence Nightengale. I suspect that there is no real BAD place and we all just end up in medium places, because we're mostly medium people, and not even Michael is aware that the neighborhood he's in is just such a medium place. 

I do think the difference is noteworthy though, but even such clerical error would confirm it's a medium place, like Cincinnati.

Loved that Jason was the fake faux deadmau5!

Me too, I was on a cruise with him and he was such a little punk ass weasel.

• Love 6

Now that we know about Jason, it makes me suspect more people are faking being good enough to be in the Good Place. It seems like Tahani and Chidi really were wonderful people, but even they had flaws while alive. The plot thickens! 

I still really like this show, keep it up! I especially loved the super intense chef who was actually super happy. Can she come back? 

• Love 2

I am really loving this show. This one was the best so far for me, now that the characters are established. I loved how douchey Jason was. He wasn't really bad, just kind of an idiot. I'm wondering what's really up with Tahani. I think she is a good person, but maybe not as wonderful as she's supposed to be. I love Chidi. He's really doing it for me.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tahani made an effort to spout something British to Michael which made me wonder if she's faking it and doesn't belong there either. We know that Michael told both Eleanor and Jason what he thought he knew about them when they arrived so they were both able to play along. Maybe he told Tahani she was a British fundraiser so she just went with it like they did. At the very least, that moment made me suspect that either she isn't British or that her real accent isn't quite as posh. 

I found Tahani asking Janet to help her plan the restaurant opening to be like her most successful event in life was very telling phrasing - she let Janet fill in the details of what that event actually had been, and then just nodded along and threw is some ridiculous sounding details of how widely it was praised. I agree that maybe she's not quite what she seems either, and I'm curious what her actual backstory is. (I'm willing to bet that she spent at least a little time in life in Eagleton, Indiana.)

I do wonder, though, if there are so many people in The Good Place seemingly by accident, what Michael's role will turn out to be. He seems genuinely concerned at all the problems in the neighborhood, so I will be surprised if he's in on whatever is going on. I am also very anxious for more scenes between Michael and Eleanor - Ted Danson & Kristen Bell both have really strong energy on this show, and I'd like to see them play off each other more.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, NYCFree said:

I felt that this episode is the weakest of the four. Even with that, I am definitely hooked.  I loved Michael's outright delight at suspenders.  When Tahani was puzzled about Michael wanting to wear them, I thought they were going in the direction of making a joke about the British use of the word suspenders for the article of clothing we call garters (as in the things that attach stockings to a corset).

I wonder if the 'translation' feature that allows everybody to understand everybody includes things like regional terminology or slang.

Also, I find it interesting that while Eleanor's life details were all wrong, her name was correct, but for Jianyu/Jason, it's just entirely the wrong person.

• Love 4

Didn't Tahani name drop a couple of Spice Girls when talking about her fundraiser success? Cause Tahani looks 30ish at the most.  She would have been still a kid when the Spice Girls were all that.  Could be bad writing, but maybe she's a faker too.

Also, she's hella tall!  Ted Danson's about 6 ft 2-3 and she's not that much shorter in heels. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tahani made an effort to spout something British to Michael which made me wonder if she's faking it and doesn't belong there either.

I'm also thinking that maybe none of them belong there and it's a kind of purgatory. Which if that's the case I hope they let us in on it soon.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

Didn't Tahani name drop a couple of Spice Girls when talking about her fundraiser success? Cause Tahani looks 30ish at the most.  She would have been still a kid when the Spice Girls were all that.  Could be bad writing, but maybe she's a faker too.

Also, she's hella tall!  Ted Danson's about 6 ft 2-3 and she's not that much shorter in heels. 

I don't remember the Spice Girls reference in the episode, but I'm in my mid-20s and I very clearly remember when the Spice Girls were insanely popular. It's not like they disappeared after the 90s, either. I don't know what the issue is with her name dropping the Spice Girls?

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this show way more than I thought I would!

But this episode puzzled me a little. WHy did they write Jason as being so stupid? He was smart enough to keep his mouth shut the first few days in heaven; he knew his existence there depended on it. He acted quite intelligently the first 3 episodes. Why is he suddenly an idiot?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I don't know what the issue is with her name dropping the Spice Girls?

I thought she would have been too young to handle a Spice Girls event, but I had my pop culture references mixed up and I think she said "Posh and Becks", so probably so Victoria and David Beckham.  They became a thing after the Spice Girls Reign of Terror was over.

But Tahani looks like a baby to me, but that is probably because I'm ancient and my hearing might be going.  Damn kids!  Stay off my cyber lawn!

• Love 5

So Jason and Eleanor both had essentially the same job. She sold fake medication to the elderly and he sold fake drugs to college kids. That can't be a coincidence. 

(Eta) It also struck me that Tahini's most successful party was a fundraiser for Stem Cell Research. So maybe it was actually a scam to collect money for supposedly medical purposes while the organisers, like Tahini, skimmed the profits.

Edited by AllyB
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Big Mother said:

I'm enjoying this show way more than I thought I would!

But this episode puzzled me a little. WHy did they write Jason as being so stupid? He was smart enough to keep his mouth shut the first few days in heaven; he knew his existence there depended on it. He acted quite intelligently the first 3 episodes. Why is he suddenly an idiot?

I don't know why either.  I don't see Jason as particularly stupid -- he's immature and reckless and unaware and self-involved, qualities we see in young people every day.  Like you say, he was smart enough to play along before. 

I think he's like those folks we see on Ridiculousness, the ones who say "Watch this!" before crashing into a wall.  He's single-minded, unaware of danger, thinks he'll be okay no matter what he does. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I thought she would have been too young to handle a Spice Girls event, but I had my pop culture references mixed up and I think she said "Posh and Becks", so probably so Victoria and David Beckham.  They became a thing after the Spice Girls Reign of Terror was over.

Yes, she said Posh and Becks, who are still a power couple today and would have been super VIP guests at an event in '06 for sure. 

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tahani made an effort to spout something British to Michael which made me wonder if she's faking it and doesn't belong there either.

10 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

I found Tahani asking Janet to help her plan the restaurant opening to be like her most successful event in life was very telling

She was trying to say something akin to keep calm and carry on or keep a stiff upper lip, and mangled it. Totally agree she's a fake in some way. Despite her displays of confidence she often makes panic-y faces, like she's confused and has no idea what's going on. Which could be legit since if it's heaven it's clearly a crazytown version but I think there's more to it. There's no way she's a bigger saint than Florence Nightingale.

I love that Jason is a moron. This show is delightful! I'm all in.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I don't know why either.  I don't see Jason as particularly stupid -- he's immature and reckless and unaware and self-involved, qualities we see in young people every day.  Like you say, he was smart enough to play along before. 

I think he's like those folks we see on Ridiculousness, the ones who say "Watch this!" before crashing into a wall.  He's single-minded, unaware of danger, thinks he'll be okay no matter what he does. 

ITA - it's the arrogance of youth when you haven't had to face mortality so you think you can jump off the roof and you'll be fine. Another youthful/immature thing about Jason was his belief that he could totally be a DJ. I know there's that whole follow your bliss thing but even after faux deadmau5 told him that he totally sucked, he still wanted to be a DJ - in Gainesville even!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Big Mother said:

I don't think that he was necessarily SUPER smart in the first three episodes. The smartest thing he did was to go along with the vow of silence because it kept all the stupid things he was thinking from being known by anyone else. That was definitely a good choice, but I think that keeping quiet and squashing his real personality was like a pressure cooker for him and once he admitted his secret to Eleanor, everything else just came gushing out because it was such a relief not to hide his real personality anymore. I think the other reason he started letting it all out was that he knew Eleanor had managed not to get caught yet either so he thought if she could hide in plain sight then he could too. Obviously he took it way too far since he was making no effort at all to hide ANYTHING anymore. In a way, it was nice to see that he wanted to be honest instead of actively lying (as opposed to passively lying with his silence). I wonder where Chidi would put that on the morality scale.

12 hours ago, blixie said:

Eh, I think Chidi is a really nice guy, but I think the point is none of these people are so exceptional they are better than Florence Nightengale. I suspect that there is no real BAD place and we all just end up in medium places, because we're mostly medium people, and not even Michael is aware that the neighborhood he's in is just such a medium place. 

I do think the difference is noteworthy though, but even such clerical error would confirm it's a medium place, like Cincinnati.

Me too, I was on a cruise with him and he was such a little punk ass weasel.

Ha, thanks for sharing that! One of my friends worked at a club where Steve Aoki performed and he was a total dick. Another friend had a story about how terrible Felix da Housecat was, so at this point I just assume these DJs are insufferable to deal with in real life.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

He wasn't really bad, just kind of an idiot. 

I think he's lacking in morality as well as intelligence. He was a con artist, and he blew up someone's boat.

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In a way, it was nice to see that he wanted to be honest instead of actively lying (as opposed to passively lying with his silence).

In the flashback, it seemed like the decision to reveal his true identity was primarily about wanting recognition and adoration. In the good place, it seemed like it was more about him wanting to just chill, and not have to make the effort to pretend to be someone else. Baby steps, I guess?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The punch line about being the smartest student in class was great. Now we don't need to hear another word from Jason Mendoza. 

Trashing a wedding cake creates a cosmic abyss because it hurts someone's feelings? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sjohnson said:

The punch line about being the smartest student in class was great. Now we don't need to hear another word from Jason Mendoza. 

Trashing a wedding cake creates a cosmic abyss because it hurts someone's feelings? 

I interpreted it as the combination of Eleanor smashing the cake and Jason openly talking about the chicken wings. Kind of two "outsider" mess-ups combining into one big one. 

• Love 1

Having a Filipino character on television like this, able to be his own person, his own character like a unique human being and not what some idiot thinks Asian people are like, is a big deal.  (Though Crazy Ex-Girlfriend did it as well.)  This show is one of the most multicultural I've ever seen and the cast is not even that big and the show is only 4 episodes old. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 17
8 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I think he's lacking in morality as well as intelligence. He was a con artist, and he blew up someone's boat.

I think he idolized Fake deadmau and was hurt about how deadmau treated him and said his music was garbage.  Although, if deadmau did pay him for that gig, it would have been stupid to blow up the boat.  

What!?  Where is this coming from.  I'm 33 and I know all of the Spice Girls very well.  I have friends 5 years younger who all do as well.   Strange comment.

On 9/30/2016 at 10:39 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And that Jason's DJ name was DJ Music!

Haha, that's so cute.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Sad 1
21 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Omg hands down best part of the episode to me was Jason. Wanting to learn ethnics. And then asking when they try out for football, and if the school has a prom. Love him!

Agree

(Sorry guys, but if I try multiple quotes in one post, bad things happen.  Sinkholes happen. I refuse to try again.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I wasn't sure if Tahani's 'As us Brits are fond of saying 'Try your best to hide your sadness'' quote (which is a phrase that nobody anywhere is fond of saying), was a mistake on her part or just a British joke from the writers. Because although that exact line it isn't something anyone says, 'Mustn't grumble' is pretty close. It's so hard to know. But it was sweet and a bit sad that she wanted to make sure that Jianyu was invited, even though it's clear that they don't really have a relationship at all.

And yes, I'm Tahani's age (or I assume - are they all really the age they appear to be - and if so, why aren't there more elderly people? Do you have to die relatively young to go to The Good Place?) And Posh and Becks - actually all the Spice Girls were massive throughout our adolescence, and really, still are pretty famous in a slightly nostalgic way. Victoria Beckham is a successful fashion designer now. So there's nothing weird there.

And Jason may actually be in some ways even worse than Eleanor, so that's fun. It was nice seeing him in the flashbacks. I want to see some flashbacks for Tahani and Chick now.

I still wonder why Michael knows accurately where, when and how Eleanor died, but has the entire rest of her life screwed up.

Also, Florence Nightingale did some good stuff, but she wasn't always quite as awesome as the legend suggests. So, she might actually fit in nicely in The Good Place.

Anyway, I loved this episode and I find myself looking forward to the show each week. 

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 2

But this episode puzzled me a little. WHy did they write Jason as being so stupid? 

I am disappointed in the route the writers are taking with him. I was all happy with my off kilter brand quirky show that is probably going to be canceled anyway and the writers decided to throw in some Beavis and Butt head character. This does not bode well for me. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Loved that Jason was the fake faux deadmau5! And that Jason's DJ name was DJ Music! Jason is an idiot but so far I like him because for the most part he seems like a believable idiot. Eleanor had him pegged when she described the decor in his budhole as a 13 year old meets a 12 year old.

Tampa....live the dream Jason.

I think this is the medium place for people with Lactose Intolerance. Hence, the FroYo shops.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, crowsworks said:

Tampa....live the dream Jason.

I think this is the medium place for people with Lactose Intolerance. Hence, the FroYo shops.

Meh, FroYo still has lactose in it.

Besides, I certainly hope that when you're dead you can eat your allergen of choice. Otherwise, what the hell is the point?

• Love 4

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Loved the bit about how something can be better than perfect, and that's how we got Beyonce. Chidi continues to be a delight--objecting about being called a nerd, his resignation about teaching Jason--all his reactions are golden. And I know it's an easy gag, but I enjoy the creative cursing like "what the fork." I wasn't sure if I'd love this show, but it's quirky and fun, and I hope at the very least that all the filmed episodes will be aired.

• Love 2

I watched it again, and I didn't really like it any better.  I think my main problem is that Jason and the chef character come across to me like cartoon characters - especially compared to the others (Tahani, Chidi, Eleanor and Michael,) - and it's very jarring. 

The gimmicky chef character is one-note... she looks super-angry and constipated all the time, but she's really happy!!  And I just don't buy Jason as an actual person.  I think that is largely because the actor playing him is not very good. 

Their scenes take me right out of the story, and I feel like I'm suddenly watching a half-baked sketch someone wants to develop into a show.  It's weird.  I really enjoyed the previous episodes.

I thought the bud-hole thing was the lamest of lame jokes.

Chidi, however, is made of win.  And I loved that Eleanor was so appreciative of all he's doing to help her. 

On a shallow note... Tahani is forking gorgeous!  I'm still wondering if she's faking too.  But so far, I haven't really seen evidence that she isn't the person she's supposed to be.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I thought the joke about the chef was that everything she said was complete nonsense. She really is incredibly angry but because it's the good place and she doesn't want to rock the boat, she says the right thing. It never struck me for an instance she was really happy but just "intense." And Michael saying that was another stupid joke, like most everything Jason Mendoza did and said.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sjohnson said:

I thought the joke about the chef was that everything she said was complete nonsense. She really is incredibly angry but because it's the good place and she doesn't want to rock the boat, she says the right thing. It never struck me for an instance she was really happy but just "intense." And Michael saying that was another stupid joke, like most everything Jason Mendoza did and said.

I could see that.  The whole thing, with her and with Jason, was just weird.  It was like, whatever they were intending just didn't 'land' for me.