Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 13/07/2018 at 9:22 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

I'm so bummed about the new format.  I don't want 4 people who know each other 

I can't see how this would work on an ongoing basis.  You would really have to search for 4 people who know each other, getting married around the same time!  I'd prefer strangers, also.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I can't see how this would work on an ongoing basis.  You would really have to search for 4 people who know each other, getting married around the same time!  I'd prefer strangers, also.

Yes I agree, I am catching the end of the new format and it is quite dull!

• Love 4

OMG.  Just watched it.  So boring!  Are all of the episodes going to be 2 hours?  The commercials were so long, I forgot what I was watching.  I didn't like the detailed background.  I just want to see the weddings.  Ashley - didn't like the red lipstick (picky, picky).  Lexi - I had a hard time getting past her large, overly white teeth & too tight clothes & too small church for the number of people.  Kat - I liked her dress.  The last girl (forgot her name, outdoor, winter wedding) - yawn.  Really tacky weddings, everyone seemed ecstatic over the mac and cheese.  Buffets and standard wedding food, whatever.  Anyway, I think the right couple won - their nuptials seemed the least offensive.

• Love 7

I caught the end of the new episode.  I think they were showing upcoming episodes.  One featured a Halloween themed wedding, where the bride and groom (at least it made it look like it was them) were in full face paint as skeletons or zombies.  One was commenting on how it was a dry wedding, to which one of the guest brides said, "say, what?"  There was one with a guy in a speedo roller skating down what appeared to be an aisle.  Not sure which one or why, showed guests leaving (hinting at something inappropriate had gone on).

I prefer the old format.

Still waiting on seeing the episode where cold pizza and warm soda (pop) was served at the reception.  I believe that couple had like 6 kids who ran all around, too.  

I saw the chick who's the "celebrity wedding planner" with the list.  Some of the items were legit, but the one about churches not being decorated - nah.  I've been to plenty of Catholic weddings, and the churches do allow runners (every wedding I've been to since a child had a runner for the bride), and most have flowers at or by the altar, and on most of the pews (on the main aisle where the bride walks).  What else do you need really?  Agree about the ceremony though.  It's not your ceremony guest brides (and other guests).  Deal with it, be polite.  Just because it's not your religion or belief doesn't mean it's wrong and should be down scored.  If there's no a/c or the food is really horrible, ok, that's one thing.  The Greek ceremonies kill me, always some bride saying I don't know what they're doing, it's all in Greek.  Well, duh.  Sit back maybe and try to absorb it for the overall experience.  The worst was where a guest bride got on her damned phone during the ceremony.  There is just no manners at all any more.  If I could learn to sit through the long (not really that long) Catholic ceremony as a child, then grown ass women can suck it up and sit through whatever for an hour.  Some of these chicks are just looking for anything to vote down a competitor; they just don't want to seem too outwardly competitive now, because they'll be all over social media as being that bitch.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm surprised they chose this episode as their first episode as it was practically a caricature of why this "friends/family" format is such a terrible idea.  There is not much diversity in the weddings at all.  Having them be friends increases the chances that they're of similar ages/races/sexuality/religion/socio-economic status...etc. 

That was highlighted in tonight's two hour episode which admittedly took me three hours to get through as I had to rewind to double check if I was right about certain details that I didn't pay attention to the first time---all in service of writing this post.

How are they supposed to legitimately grade things like venue and food when they all essentially used the same venue and food?  The only true differences were the fact that two of the ceremonies were held at different churches.  Otherwise, I looked it up, The Old Stone Chapel (ceremony: Lexi & Maggie reception: Maggie), Le Belle Coeur, (aside--where the hell did they study French--it should be Le Beau Coeur unless there's an axiom I don't know about) (reception: Ashley) and The Heart of St. Charles (reception: Lexi and Kat) all belong to the same wedding venue conglomerate.

So Lexi was loving the mac and cheese at Kat's wedding?  Well she should, she had it at her wedding.  The green beans were at the first three weddings as well. And every time someone downgraded another bride's food as being "just regular wedding food" I had to roll my eyes. 

Then the last half hour was a bit of a cluster.  I don't know why but I wanted to more about Maggie and her fiance.  He had three kids and she seemed kind of young.  Something just felt off there.  And then her sister-in-law, Ashley, couldn't finish the interview because she was so disappointed she lost?  Just bizarre.

Kat probably did deserve to win based on what we saw but I was kind of rooting for Lexi and she seemed to be really positive about everything...or at least until we got to Maggie's wedding.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9

They all used the same venues and were all told afraid to say anything bad about each other(though they threw shade at Maggie who is clearly not apart of their friend group).

I also dont care about the planning process or their grooms. Watching them move furniture and play darts was boring. Go back to the old successful format!

• Love 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And then her sister-in-law, Ashley, couldn't finish the interview because she was so disappointed she lost?  Just bizarre.

Didn't see this.  I turned if off as soon as the winner was announced.  The one (Maggie?) who got 20 for overall experience is going to be ticked.  Will they all still be chums?

Some comments on FB liked the new format for its positivity.  No strangers being bitchy!  Hello!  That's why the old format was fun!  Just goes to show:  Positive = BORING.

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm surprised they chose this episode as their first episode as it was practically a caricature of why this "friends/family" format is such a terrible idea.  There is not much diversity in the weddings at all.  Having them be friends increases the chances that they're of similar ages/races/sexuality/religion/socio-economic status...etc. 

Absolutely!  Hard pressed to choose a "winner" as they were so similar.

Edited by WarnerCL45
  • Love 1

I mainly disliked that it was two hours. That is way too long and will make it hard to watch every time. I kind of liked that many of the weddings were fairly normal however it is nice to have some variety. 

• Love 4

I was watching a Facebook live feed during this and EVERYONE was swooning over Maggie's dress.  Ladies, that was not Boho, it was sparkly and modern.  And frankly unflattering.  I also caught hell for saying it was a wedding not a funeral so why the picture of deceased mom at a wedding?  

The one who planned for two years came in last, lol!!

Ashley crying at the end?  Boo friggin' woo!!

Please bring back the old format with bitchy women who we all know darn well will not be BFF for life!!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I was watching a Facebook live feed during this and EVERYONE was swooning over Maggie's dress.  Ladies, that was not Boho, it was sparkly and modern.  And frankly unflattering.  I also caught hell for saying it was a wedding not a funeral so why the picture of deceased mom at a wedding?  

Ashley crying at the end?  Boo friggin' woo!!

Please bring back the old format with bitchy women who we all know darn well will not be BFF for life!!

I feel like people take the body positivity thing too far. Every body can be beautiful, but that does not mean that every dress is flattering on every body, and people feel like they have to say that the biggest girl looks the best to prove a point. It’s the dress rating equivalent of ‘my best friend is black’.

• Love 11
(edited)

I didn't think her wedding was that bad.  Unfortunately, they were all the same, so really difficult to vote.  Maybe the others just didn't like her?  

6 minutes ago, rlc said:

I was watching a Facebook live feed during this and EVERYONE was swooning over Maggie's dress.  Ladies, that was not Boho, it was sparkly and modern.  And frankly unflattering.

I've seen worse, but I know what you're saying.  How was the dress/theme "boho"?  

Overall, this whole new season is REALLY disappointing.  Why are they messing with the format?

Edited by WarnerCL45
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I didn't think her wedding was that bad.  Unfortunately, they were all the same, so really difficult to vote.  Maybe the others just didn't like her?  

I've seen worse, but I know what you're saying.  How was the dress/theme "boho"?  

Overall, this whole new season is REALLY disappointing.  Why are they messing with the format?

This whole body awareness thing has got to slow down.   Look I'm no rail thin model but I know that in a wedding dress I need to cover my arms and wear a bra.  Maggie should have done both.

I also agree it would be very hard to judge these weddings because they all look so similar.

• Love 5

My guesses regarding the reboot, episode 2, St. Louis brides...

Lexi might have known who Maggie and Ashley were from high school, but I didn't get the vibe that these were people who were friends or had spent much time together outside of school.

Maggie might have wanted an outdoor wedding, but I doubt it would have been planned for December if she weren't involved with the show.  Likewise, I doubt that Ashley would have been getting married that soon either considering it was mentioned she had only 12 weeks to prepare.  

I think Lexi was a pretty sure bet for last place considering that the other girls or their husbands were blood relatives who seemed to have good relationships.  That would probably tip the scoring somewhat. 

Overall they seemed like pleasant people, although Ashley was a bit too much with her crying at the end. Get a grip, girl!

Considering the number of guests each couple invited, wedding costs weren't anywhere near those of some other weddings on previous shows.

This whole body awareness thing has got to slow down.   Look I'm no rail thin model but I know that in a wedding dress I need to cover my arms and wear a bra.

1 hour ago, rlc said:

I feel like people take the body positivity thing too far. Every body can be beautiful, but that does not mean that every dress is flattering on every body, and people feel like they have to say that the biggest girl looks the best to prove a point. It’s the dress rating equivalent of ‘my best friend is black’.

YES!  I think someone can embrace their body but still dress in what flatters them most.  In general it also seems there is some serious Spanxing going on. That can't be very comfortable either. 

This episode was better than the first in the reboot, but I still prefer strangers competing with one another.  I don't care about meeting the grooms and showing them getting together.  The show does not need to be two hours long.  

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Lexi might have known who Maggie and Ashley were from high school, but I didn't get the vibe that these were people who were friends or had spent much time together outside of school.

Maggie might have wanted an outdoor wedding, but I doubt it would have been planned for December if she weren't involved with the show.  Likewise, I doubt that Ashley would have been getting married that soon either considering it was mentioned she had only 12 weeks to prepare.  

Agreed.

I think they are finagling things to get four "best friend" brides; I'm not seeing it & really doubt it would be possible to pull that off. Who would judge & rate the wedding of a good friend on TV anyway? No one I'd want as a friend, for sure. As it was in this one there was a familial relationship (SIL & brother), & that was damn awkward.

I think the right person won, even though the weddings were so similar. Kat's just seemed more well done overall.

I liked the floral & ruffled on Ashley? was it - the first gown that was ballgown, & it wasn't too fussy. But am tired as hell of strapless; two of them looked ill fitted on top, & I didn't like the 'boho' not boho dress at all; definitely wasn't for her. I like lace but not one of the gowns was a 'wow', IMO.

Ashley falling apart at the end - her husband looked rightfully embarrassed - because that was ridiculous.

• Love 5

The bride whose favorite color was glitter had the the LEAST glitter/sparkly at her wedding, even though Glitter was her theme. Her wedding was nice, but not glittery. There was another bride, either Lexi or Kat, who did have sparkly table runners and candle holders, which would have been appropriate for the glitter wedding.

As someone posted above, I found Maggie's groom kind of sketchy. His physical appearance reminded me of someone I know who is a drug addict. Hopefully, that is not the case here, but the mobile home, loose-fitting clothes, and his aloofness, didn't help.

• Love 5

I almost got the feeling that Ashley (sparkly bride) moved up or hurried up to get married so they could be a part of the show.  She must've busted her ass or had help in getting one of the three venues in town.  Apparently, they were in the St. Charles area, but there has to be other venues around?  I guess maybe those are the most affordable or perhaps those are just the ones that had openings.  

Sparkly wedding - not that much sparkle.

Lexi's wedding was nice.   I got the feeling that maybe Kat and Lexi were friends.   Lexi needed a bigger ceremony space.  I can't believe the venue allowed that many people in the room; looked like a fire code violation to me.  If they said the room held 100, then she needed to limit the invites to the ceremony to 100.  Invite some people to reception only as that seemed a much larger venue or get a larger church (or do it at the reception venue).  The glass ceremony was just a variation of the sand, so not the different.  

Honestly, nothing seemed that different from wedding to wedding.  Same buffet, same venue, dresses were a little different, maybe some décor was changed.  I only watched as I was up later with an upset stomach, so looking to keep my mind occupied on something else.  The two hours crawled.  New format is not great.

Not sure why Lexi's wedding was dead last, except she wasn't family like the other three were.  I know Maggie and Ashley were in-laws, and I think Kat was a cousin.  Didn't appear Ashley and Maggie were that close as each were not in the other's wedding.   Wouldn't the sister of the groom typically be some part of the wedding party?  Even as a greeter/hostess?  

Kat's wedding seemed to be the nicest overall.

Maggie's wedding was ok.  Agree something seemed to be off with the groom.  And an ice cream bar is off the wall?  I didn't see anything boho at her wedding.  Maggie needed more support in her dress.  Dress was pretty, but I don't think it was for her.  My first impression was she got a dress that fit and was in her budget (or the price was so good she couldn't turn it down).  His kids were at the reception, correct?  If so, the ass grabbing during the dance was inappropriate.  I didn't think it was cute one bit as part of the first dance.  She seemed to be trying a little hard tbh.

When Maggie said close to the end, oh it'd be nice for us to get the honeymoon, as we hardly get any time away for ourselves, I though the fix was in for her to win.  I could see the relatives throwing it to her as a charity case.  Then when Ashley lost her shit in the post award interview - damn, girl.  I really got the feeling she moved up her wedding so they could get the free honeymoon.   Regrets on not having longer to plan and get what she really wanted?  

By the time they get around for all weddings to be done, wouldn't most have gone on some sort of honeymoon by then?  Even if for a couple of days to the nearest hotel?  I get it that they get a luxury honeymoon, but yeah it should be just icing on the cake at that point.  Lexi seemed to be ok with it, as did Maggie.  They had their weddings, had a good time, married their guys, ready for next chapter, etc.  

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Then the last half hour was a bit of a cluster.  I don't know why but I wanted to more about Maggie and her fiance.  He had three kids and she seemed kind of young.  Something just felt off there.  And then her sister-in-law, Ashley, couldn't finish the interview because she was so disappointed she lost?  Just bizarre.

The lack of diversity stood out to me too! Granted, I can understand how it happens, but it's a bummer to watch. I kept thinking, "I'd give a full 10 points for "Originality" to the first bride who has a black guest." (waiting.... waiting...)

Brutal honesty: Maggie's mouth disturbed me. Like, she constantly looked like she was holding something back, or not particularly gifted in the intelligence department, or like she was a quiet Muppet; it was not a fetching look. Her story seemed weird to me, because the guy seemed a little introverted but fairly normal, and she was just... I know it's horrible, but just bleh. She looked far more engaged in the past photos they showed, but her personality and way of speaking was just BLAN. When they mentioned that her husband-to-be has three kids, I went "ahhhh - that explains it." Way harsh (Tai), but kids = baggage and that odd couple made more sense.

A glass chip blending ceremony? For real? At first when they went to the glass blower I thought they were gonna have him come to the ceremony and blow some freakin wedding rings right onto their hands - cool! - so color me disappointed. The whole blending sand/chemicals/wax beads/etc. thing is not my jam. Some weirdly-shaped glass vase with sand in it just sounds like a Ocean City tchotchke waiting to fall off the 80s-style curio cabinet and swept to the curb like the passionless marriage years down the road. If we're gonna go with dumping materials together into a vase, why not, say, spices to make it practical? "You are the cayenne to my dried garlic, the seasoning of my life. As we massage this dry rub onto a rack of ribs, let it represent the heat of our marital bliss, now and forever, amen."

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

After some online "research," I found out that all of the couples were clients of Heart Events, an event planning company owned by Maggie's (and Billy's and Kat's) aunt. It must've been the lady at the beautiful house where the four women were introduced to us. No wonder all four weddings were similar.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover a similar circumstance in future episodes.  Using a wedding planner to discover potential contestants make a lot of sense.  In this case at least three had genuine ties.  Not sure I buy the fourth being a close family friend.  Brides around the same age using the same wedding planner in any particular town could probably find some six degrees of separation connection that could be exaggerated for the show's purpose.  

I think the producers of the show painted themselves into a corner with the new format.  

• Love 9

Poor Lexi was never going to win. The related ones need to spend holidays together. I laughed when Ashley said Maggie's was her favorite wedding. What else was she going to say? It was her sister-in-law. This might work with friends, but no way with family members.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

"You are the cayenne to my dried garlic, the seasoning of my life. As we massage this dry rub onto a rack of ribs, let it represent the heat of our marital bliss, now and forever, amen."

...And then they can give their spice rub to guests as a favor. I presume you were joking but it's actually not the worst idea. I've seen worse on this show.

4 hours ago, Blissfool said:

As someone posted above, I found Maggie's groom kind of sketchy. His physical appearance reminded me of someone I know who is a drug addict. Hopefully, that is not the case here, but the mobile home, loose-fitting clothes, and his aloofness, didn't help.

So glad for this board because I felt the same. Granted, Maggie seemed aloof too. Or medicated. I know TV sucks energy from people, you have to be more animated on tv to read as yourself, and maybe it was just that, but the vibe was odd with them. AND we didn't even get to hear what ice cream flavor they picked. AND what's wrong with cookie dough ice cream? It's delicious. Anyway, I liked her dress, but the bust needed to be fitted better. You could've taken in at least 2 inches so she wouldn't have been sloshing around so much. However! I didn't find it to be boho, but I think people use that word "boho" indiscriminately.

Ashley's dress was my favorite. I don't normally like strapless but it was simple, light and seemed good for dancing.

Agree that the new format overall is not working. 2 hours is way too long. I guess they're trying to have us get to know the couples. But you know what? I don't really care about the couples, I just want to see their weddings. 

Regarding the winners: With only 2 examples - this wedding winner, Kat, and that other random episode in January (?) "...and a Texas showdown" with the Art Museum bride - both did seem like the best of the bunch so maybe this knowing each other thing works to get at the best wedding but time will tell.

As you all said, from a guests perspective a good wedding is pretty simple: good food & booze, and if I may add an obvious one - on time. What makes one great IMO is it has a comfortable setting that encourages guests to interact with each other (whether that's dancing, chatting whatever). Things like sand art (or whatever people call it) and personal vows are for the couple.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Brutal honesty: Maggie's mouth disturbed me. Like, she constantly looked like she was holding something back

Someone said forced and I think that was a good description. She looked like she was trying to keep a smile on her face.  That doesn't necessarily mean she was unhappy but it didn't look comfortable.

1 hour ago, Refresh said:

. AND we didn't even get to hear what ice cream flavor they picked. AND what's wrong with cookie dough ice cream?

That's what was so funny about it.  She rejected salted caramel because she wanted to be different and yet it looked like they were making sundaes out of vanilla ice cream. 

*Well I think cookie dough ice cream kind of sucks but that's neither here nor there.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, alexa said:

I mainly disliked that it was two hours. That is way too long and will make it hard to watch every time. I kind of liked that many of the weddings were fairly normal however it is nice to have some variety. 

I hate the 2 hour change as well, plus whatever they did to the music and the pace of the show makes it very hard to tolerate.  What is it with TLC lately making every show 2 hours long?  I don't have that kind of time to invest in this show.  This is a fun bit of fluff I put on to unwind, not something I want to get that into after a busy day.  Plus after so many years of this show being 1 hour long, we're used to that.  Sorry to say I won't be tuning in on a regular basis.  Why do they always have to mess with success?  They should leave a good thing alone!

• Love 9

Maggie's choices seemed so odd to me, like she didn't want anything her guests would like. "I don't want salted caramel even if it is the favorite. I want something unique." And not only did she have an outside wedding in December, she had it at night! 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

*Well I think cookie dough ice cream kind of sucks but that's neither here nor there.

LOL. I worked in an ice cream shop when I was younger and I always loved seeing what was popular and what people chose. Sorry, back to show...But being that it was her fiance's favorite she could've considered it!

We also didn't find out what beer Kat/Dom chose. Forgot about that. Not that I actually care but to spend 3+ minutes on beer tasting and then not let us know what they chose bugs me, Storytelling 101. Oh and Dom looks like Jersey Shore's Vinnie to me so once I saw it I couldn't not see it.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Then the last half hour was a bit of a cluster.  I don't know why but I wanted to more about Maggie and her fiance.  He had three kids and she seemed kind of young.  Something just felt off there. 

I didn't see her as any younger than the other women.  And he didn't seem that old to me.  Perhaps he got married young.  It figures that the show wasted tons of time on stuff we don't care about but didn't tell us more about their relationship.

I'm incredulous that her groom could be seen as "sketchy", because I'm not seeing that.  Or having "baggage" because he has children.  A lot of people get divorced and remarried that have kids.  I didn't get the impression that Maggie would suddenly be full time step mom to them either.  There's probably a shared custody arrangement with their mother.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

Maggie's choices seemed so odd to me, like she didn't want anything her guests would like. "I don't want salted caramel even if it is the favorite. I want something unique." And not only did she have an outside wedding in December, she had it at night! 

Maggie was trying too hard to win originality points.  Sometimes the favorite is the favorite because it's just that good.  I live near a dairy that makes just about THE best strawberry ice cream I've ever had in my life (which is a significant statement coming from a 60 year old ice cream lover), and even though it's out in the country there's always a line in the summer to buy it.  They have other more "original" flavors but some of them are just not that spectacular.  I'd say it's always better to go with something commonplace if it's THE BEST version of it anywhere.  People will forget that it's just strawberry ice cream because if it's that good, it's definitely not commonplace.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Refresh said:

LOL. I worked in an ice cream shop when I was younger and I always loved seeing what was popular and what people chose. Sorry, back to show...But being that it was her fiance's favorite she could've considered it!

Ha.  I kind of get her desire to choose something unique.  People sometimes go to their default "favorite" without adventuring outside of their comfort zone.  If they serve something like beet ice cream, people would find it memorable when they like it. 

16 minutes ago, Refresh said:

We also didn't find out what beer Kat/Dom chose. Forgot about that. Not that I actually care but to spend 3+ minutes on beer tasting and then not let us know what they chose bugs me, Storytelling 101. Oh and Dom looks like Jersey Shore's Vinnie to me so once I saw it I couldn't not see it.

I thought they went with a fruity beer for him and a cocktail for her. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

Maggie was fortunate that the weather was decent for her wedding. I don't know what she would have done if there had been a storm. I noticed that these ladies happily ate food that other brides would have rejected like sausage and cheese appetizers.

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Ha.  I kind of get her desire to choose something unique.  People sometimes go to their default "favorite" without adventuring outside of their comfort zone.  If they serve something like beet ice cream, people would find it memorable when they like it. 

I thought they went with a fruity beer for him and a cocktail for her. 

I thought at cocktail hour they mentioned it was peanut butter and chocolate beer?! I could be hallucinating though.

Edited by tobeannounced

This was so boring, I fast forwarded through 90% of it. It seemed like these people were convinced that were on some dull reality show.

Quibble: if you're going on TV, please prepare--I can't fathom why Maggie wore not a stitch of makeup to any of the weddings, then put enough makeup for four people on at her own wedding!

• Love 11

When I watched this show, I felt these women settled (with the exception of Maggie LOL). Certainly the women were far more attractive than their counterparts (with exception of Maggie). Kat's husband looked like a monkey! Loved the first gown- hated that she named it. Got the feeling she always gets her way, thus, the sore loser tears at the end. The next dress I liked was Kat's- loved the little bolero for the church- grossed out by the kiss though. Then Lexi- fit well but over accessorized with the veil and the jewelry. Lastly Maggie. Now if there was ever a day to go the opposite way- pull out the stops- it's your wedding day. The dress with it's sad little strap hanging down, the makeup was spackled on, and the grab ass on the groom (did Ashley cut his hair??), was unsettling to say the least. Honestly, the only thing I was sure of was Lexi was not gonna win! The premise sucks IMO- better to have stranger brides critique your wedding- they can be vicious (Hello Danielle), and that's where the entertainment value lies! There was nothing about any of the weddings that made a positive impression on me- raving about mac and cheese? Please.

• Love 7

The thing that I cringed at was Maggie's makeup...one of the brides said that they'd never seen Maggie with a full face of makeup, and she clearly had hired someone, but the foundation they chose was too light and reflected light in a weird way.  That plus the unblended eyeshadow and the dark lipstick was just awful.  I felt bad for her.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ichbin said:

Funny, I was spying their FB pages and saw an engagement pic of Maggie and her guy holding a banner that said, "05-18-18".  She posted it on that date and said, "Happy would be wedding day!" So yes, I'm guessing she and her SIL changed it to be able to do the show.

Another for hating this format.  I just kept watching like, "this isn't over yet?"  It felt forever.  With them knowing each other, it takes away from them giving honest answers.  Major eye roll at Ashley's crying at the end.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MartyQui said:

The thing that I cringed at was Maggie's makeup...one of the brides said that they'd never seen Maggie with a full face of makeup, and she clearly had hired someone, but the foundation they chose was too light and reflected light in a weird way.  That plus the unblended eyeshadow and the dark lipstick was just awful.  I felt bad for her.

I honestly thought it looked like a makeup job they do for open casket funerals!

• Love 5

Not sure I like this new format. Too long for one thing, all four were related or friends. Poor Lexi didn’t have a chance because she was the friend. Ashley crying at the end...girl, get over yourself.

Ashley/Billy: she had the least glitter/sparkle. Plain dress. Her Bridesmaids had all the glitter and that one cake.

Lexi/Brent: she had more glitter than Ashley. She was the prettiest bride. I didn’t like any of the dresses but she looked the best in hers.

Kat/ Dom: her decor was the best. It would have looked nicer with a little red thrown in there.

Maggie/Brian: to me nothing was boho. She had waaay too much makeup on, she looked clownish. 

All the weddings were the same basically. All the apps, food, desserts and drinks looked good. All the receptions looked fun. Too much about the grooms. I fast forwarded thru that. Boring. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, MartyQui said:

Plus I think the lipstick is partly why she kept holding her mouth weird at her wedding. If you aren’t used to it or it isn’t very soft it can feel really weird. I wish she would have been more herself at her wedding with very light makeup. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, alexa said:

Plus I think the lipstick is partly why she kept holding her mouth weird at her wedding. If you aren’t used to it or it isn’t very soft it can feel really weird. I wish she would have been more herself at her wedding with very light makeup. 

It is funny you say "casket" as I joke around that at my first wedding I had on so much makeup people should have called me Casket Girl!!

• Love 1

I hope the rest of the episodes will not be two hours long. This one felt like it went on forever. I did not notice before I started watching it that it was two hours. Finally got through the first wedding and thought, "criminy, that felt like it took forever!" and then noticed there was still an hour and a half to go. I agree, I do not care one whit about the grooms and they should leave all that on the cutting room floor. Also agree that these weddings were all the same. I just watched it this morning and I've already forgotten the brides' names, much less who had which wedding. 

If the other episodes of the season are like this one, they have officially broken the show.

• Love 5

What was with the multiple cakes at the 'sparkle' wedding?  I started laughing because all I could think of was the one bride on Bridezillas who (and her family) made like 30 cakes for her wedding.  She was so psycho that each one had to be different, then someone "accidentally" (cough, cough producer suggestion/encouragement) dropped one in the parking lot.  So, it wasn't that original.  

So Maggie's date was originally in May?  Hell no, I wouldn't change shit for a stupid tv show, especially since she wanted an outdoor wedding.  She lucked out it wasn't snowing or sleeting (or minus 40 below).

I really want to see why the people were leaving one event (in previews) and what in the heck was the skater in speedos all about?

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Patrizio said:

When I watched this show, I felt these women settled (with the exception of Maggie LOL). Certainly the women were far more attractive than their counterparts (with exception of Maggie). Kat's husband looked like a monkey! 

LOL, I thought it was just me! He especially looked monkey-like when he danced.  Kind of like that old organ grinder monkey!

Isn't it ironic that the very attractive brides' grooms were so much less attractive than they were, but Maggie's husband was more attractive than both her and the rest of the grooms?  I thought two of the grooms looked like brothers - Did I miss something?  One of them had his hair cut for the wedding by his spouse-to be.  I thought it made him look like an escapee from the asylum.  In a scene with only the other grooms his hair looked more normal on the sides.  I'm presuming that scene was filmed before the wedding and the haircut even though it was shown afterward.

I know this is crazy, but the show dragged on so much that I found myself wondering if these women not only moved up their wedding dates to be on the show but actually got engaged to be on the show too!

10 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I honestly thought it looked like a makeup job they do for open casket funerals!

7 hours ago, alexa said:

She looked pale and goth-like, and like her face would crack if she smiled!  Her too-dark blush gave her those fake sunken-in cheeks that went out of style in the '90s.  It contrasted so starkly with the rest of her face you could see the sharp angles, like it wasn't even blended in at all.  The poor thing looked more appropriately made up for a Halloween-themed wedding.

18 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I thought at cocktail hour they mentioned it was peanut butter and chocolate beer?! I could be hallucinating though.

Unless we both hallucinated the same thing, we're right.

7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I hope the rest of the episodes will not be two hours long. This one felt like it went on forever. I did not notice before I started watching it that it was two hours. Finally got through the first wedding and thought, "criminy, that felt like it took forever!" and then noticed there was still an hour and a half to go. I agree, I do not care one whit about the grooms and they should leave all that on the cutting room floor. Also agree that these weddings were all the same. I just watched it this morning and I've already forgotten the brides' names, much less who had which wedding. 

If the other episodes of the season are like this one, they have officially broken the show.

I completely agree on all counts, but I hate to break this to you - I took a look at my TV program guide and all the episodes (at least those for the next 3 weeks that are posted so far) are two hours long - ugh.  I've already cancelled the recordings!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4
(edited)

I don’t know... I want to watch it the show so I can snark on it here with you lovely people.  But two hours??? Yeesh!  I found myself forgetting wedding details that are needed to understand scoring. I missed the beginning this week, so I didn’t get the connection between the brides.  Too much filler for a show that already had a fair amount with the bouquet posing.

Also, if your brother is your competitor and also in your wedding, that is messed up.  Strangers with no connection to the couple make a better show concept.

And how can you rank weddings when you have them in the same place?  The food you like or don’t like is the same as the food served at your wedding.  I guess It could be interesting to see  one venue used in different ways.  Wasn’t that already a TLC show?  It was short-lived and it was about a venue on Long Island or something.

Maybe I’ll tape and fast forward and create my own hour-long version.  (45 minutes less commercials)

Edited by Marisagf
  • Love 3

The new format is not my style but the old format had issues for me too. One bride spending $10,000 on her wedding rarely ever beat another with a $70,000 budget. I think this new format is aiming for more drama though. As if it was not dramatic enough.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2018 at 12:06 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree.  My daughter honored her sister with her choice of flowers, those closest to us understood the meaning.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, CoolMom said:

I agree.  My daughter honored her sister with her choice of flowers, those closest to us understood the meaning.

Yes, I agree!   Something subtle!  I wore my dad's HS class ring.  But memorial tables?  With photos of deceased people?  My late mom would haunt me......

Please TLC:   Bring back the old format!!

• Love 1