Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: A Big Surprise

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Ben and Jessa don't have a toaster? Really?

Ben:  "I thought he was just coming to check out the cuts of different diamonds...."

Really,  Ben?  He was just there two days ago, and now he's back, just to check out the cuts of different diamonds? Couldn't he have done that in Texas? Are you really as dimwitted as you want us all to believe?

• Love 11

The good thing it does sound like they are planning on living in Tx, good they are getting away from JB.  Jessa must have forgotten Jill has moved (though not for long) far away from home when she said Jinger was going to be the first girl to move away.   Arms around each other and full frontal hugs. Who knows, maybe next courting couple will hold hands and kiss. 

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

Ben:  "I thought he was just coming to check out the cuts of different diamonds...."

Really,  Ben?  He was just there two days ago, and now he's back, just to check out the cuts of different diamonds? Couldn't he have done that in Texas? Are you really as dimwitted as you want us all to believe?

Free publicity = free ring? The cost of the ring is nothing compared to the publicity for this small town jewelry store. I suppose a Texas jewelry store could have made the same offer, but maybe JB gets a kick back from the local guy. <--joking about the kick back

• Love 6

OK, so I see what's happening here. One 60-minute episode is 15 minutes of the Counting On Couple of the Night (COCON), and the other 45 minutes is easing us back into Life With The Duggar Clan, as a Whole (minus, of course, Josh).

• Love 7

Does no one wonder (or question) how Jessa and Ben can afford to live in a house when she doesn't work, and he only works part time?  Their friends from St. Louis (Flame and Mrs. Flame) just took it in stride when Jessa was talking about how Ben has finals, and works part time, so he can still spend time with his family.

• Love 9

Jinger has to have seen the "Dinner Party" episode of "The Office", right babe? She's just making a funny pop-cultury reference with all that Baaaaabe biz, right?!? No one really does that do they, babe? 

I need to confess-I legit laughed out loud (and not in my normal mocking way) at Ben standing there behind Babe and his surprise stuffing his face with that taco. Heh. 

• Love 15

I'm sobbing laughing at the diversity on this episode and I'm only half watching!  Haha

They are fucking with us..they  really are! 

The looks on the littles' faces when Flame showed up at the TTH! ! Like they just saw Loch Ness!!

Then the cowboy hat and getting him to try and play a goddamned banjo! 

If they keep this shit up,  I'm in for the whole season...totalllly!  ????

• Love 18

I say turn this shit show over to Flame though his wife does not lie well for TV  (those kids should make an album, nuhhuh sister aint happening).

Jana's GARDEN???? What the hell Duggars? Jana should hook up with a landscaper boy, she's doing well.

Someone should have put a toaster on their wedding registry.

• Love 9

Baaaaabe!!! Baaaaabbbbbe!!!!

I sensed that Jer's mom wasn't exactly thrilled when he called her from the jewelers. 

I like Flame and feel bad the poor guy has Ben latching on. I continue to LOL every time Ben goes into hip hop mode. 

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

Does no one wonder (or question) how Jessa and Ben can afford to live in a house when she doesn't work, and he only works part time?  Their friends from St. Louis (Flame and Mrs. Flame) just took it in stride when Jessa was talking about how Ben has finals, and works part time, so he can still spend time with his family.

So, they're only in May now (college finals)? Confirms that JinJer likely started courting in April, which is what I expected, despite the announcement in late June. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

"Are you really as dimwitted...?"  Yes, I truly believe he is.  I'd be afraid for my child, if I were Jessa, because I think Ben's IQ is below (maybe way below) normal.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

And they eat out on the regular, and they're thinking of buying a piano. I guess money does grow on trees.

I'm guessing the Flame family is making this appearance as way to introduce their work to fundie viewers who might like it? So it's promotional. So we don;t register any surprise about how ridiculous this all is. Because these aren't actually our friends, and none of this is real anyway.

• Love 12

Ben - all up and anxious in the car because of the extreme timing that was necessary, and running around the car. Cuz food always arrives in precise time frames.

And really was this an episode of Green Acres? We could see with our own eyes that Flame is a man of color. Josie certainly could too.

Okay Duggars, we get it - you know what vegetables are.

• Love 7

More energy in this one episode than the previous 10 years put together.  Flame is fun!  Please bring him back, I stayed awake the whole hour.  Miwacle stared in shock, like she has never seen a person brimming with vitality.  One question though, what became of Jeremy.  Poof, gone?  No sad goodbyes?  Baaaaaabe?

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

"Are you really as dimwitted...?"  Yes, I truly believe he is.  I'd be afraid for my child, if I were Jessa, because I think Ben's IQ is below (maybe way below) normal.

And it's either truly tragic or kind of nice that he's the one with sort of intellectual ambitions. I can't figure out whether that'll someday be horrifying for him or whether he'll happily accept his intellectual ambitions as meaning that he's actually smart.

• Love 5
Just now, Churchhoney said:

And it's either truly tragic or kind of nice that he's the one with sort of intellectual ambitions. I can't figure out whether that'll someday be horrifying for him or whether he'll happily accept his intellectual ambitions as meaning that he's actually smart.

Yea one day in the far future, the Duggars will say offhandedly "Yea that's Bin, our smart one". Totally without irony, as they frequently do.

Then someone might notice he's not even a Duggar.

• Love 5

I was refusing to watch this anymore, but I was channel surfing and got sucked in for part of it.  Did Jessa forget Jill has moved to Central America or is this an admission that the mission work is even less than it appears (don't they come back to Arkansas fairly often)?  And then Jinger knows how people react when watching scary movies.  Did not know they were allowed to watch anything but Christian movies.  I saw more of Michelle than I wanted.  I refused to watch last week because I understood the senior Duggars would be in Laredo with Jinger.  Those hugs were awfully close to being frontal so maybe Jinger and Jeremy are setting rules that are a little more normal than the other couples were permitted.  I know nothing about Jeremy.  He used to play soccer so what does he do?

I really feel like I am Charlie Brown and the Duggar couples are like Lucy with the football.  I had great hopes that Derrick would live a fairly normal life as an accountant and give her a more normal life.  I had hopes that Ben would at least move Jessa to the town he lived in.  And I had hopes that Josh and Anna could make it work in DC.  Well, we know how that turned out.  So I am trying not to hope that Jeremy and Jinger will have their own lives in Laredo.  

I guess all our complaints about their eating habits have registered with someone.  I see they have a garden now. 

I am going to punish myself for watching this by forcing myself to eat a large bowl of ice cream.   Carry on everyone!

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I was refusing to watch this anymore, but I was channel surfing and got sucked in for part of it.  Did Jessa forget Jill has moved to Central America or is this an admission that the mission work is even less than it appears (don't they come back to Arkansas fairly often)?  And then Jinger knows how people react when watching scary movies.  Did not know they were allowed to watch anything but Christian movies.  I saw more of Michelle than I wanted.  I refused to watch last week because I understood the senior Duggars would be in Laredo with Jinger.  Those hugs were awfully close to being frontal so maybe Jinger and Jeremy are setting rules that are a little more normal than the other couples were permitted.  I know nothing about Jeremy.  He used to play soccer so what does he do?

I really feel like I am Charlie Brown and the Duggar couples are like Lucy with the football.  I had great hopes that Derrick would live a fairly normal life as an accountant and give her a more normal life.  I had hopes that Ben would at least move Jessa to the town he lived in.  And I had hopes that Josh and Anna could make it work in DC.  Well, we know how that turned out.  So I am trying not to hope that Jeremy and Jinger will have their own lives in Laredo.  

I guess all our complaints about their eating habits have registered with someone.  I see they have a garden now. 

I am going to punish myself for watching this by forcing myself to eat a large bowl of ice cream.   Carry on everyone!

Some of those Christian movies are kind of scary depending upon your End Times philosophy.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Jana's garden is really pretty and I'm glad she has something of her own to be proud of.

If Jana grew this garden, I would believe in Santa coming to my house on the 24th.  This is a TLC FU internet moment.  Jana is too busy cooking and cleaning to tend a garden like that. 

• Love 22
53 minutes ago, I8A 4RE said:

Ben is totally Shaggy. No question. 

Nah, I think Derick is Shaggy.

i did like Flame and his wife looks very sweet as well. Michelle's Ugly Green Shirt made another appearance! Ugh, IIRC, I think it was on last week's episode as well. 

• Love 7

First episode of Counting On I've actually watched. Mr. Beaner caught me watching. He said, "I thought those hillbillies weren't allowed to be on any more," referring to JB & M. "Oh, I get it. The show is about the kids but they're sneaking in?" I'm kind of impressed that he picked up on that so fast.  I do believe I have a newfound respect for Jessa. My take on her is what you see is what you get. She's a good mom and a good match for Bin. She's sensible and down to earth. She does what she's supposed to do in Gothardland and doesn't fret about it. It will be interesting to see what the future brings.

• Love 14

Cringe's ring is only a half carat? Why did the magazine say it was a .75?

Flame is clearly only in this to promote his music. He does add a ton of life and energy to this snooze fest though. Just give me an hour of him and Spurgeon and I'll be good.

Jeremy's orgasmic reaction while riding go-carts was a little much. You're in, Jer. Your TLC checks should be clearing shortly. Tone it down a little, hon.

Jana's garden was probably trucked in and staked out the night before filming. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 22

Blah blah Baaaaabe and Jinj. Feh. Bring on Flame! He is so much fun!  He's funny and clearly takes such joy in life. Fire and Benstone will hopefully learn from him that you can love and serve God, but still laugh and be silly and enjoy the world. No need to be so serious about it all. It was nice to see Jessa be so welcoming and comfortable with them, too. Night and day from the first time she met them. I have hope for those two if they continue to open themselves up to new people and experiences. 

• Love 8

Flame being around shows HOW MUCH these "kids" need friends. He was only with the boys for a few hrs and he and his wife were at the house probably no more than an hr but it livened up the joint. Everything from playing the cello for a few min to walking around with the Arkansas t-shirt and boots and making fun of himself. He and JD were chatting it up in the truck and when JD was telling him how to operate the equipment. Seems like Joseph was hanging out in his forklift and talking to him. We know it was all made for TV to show they have diverse friends and in return Flame got at least 1-2 min of "video" in the middle of the episode and the potential for some fundies buying his album.

But in any event, I haven't seen any of the kids that animated in yrs -- even during their "fellowship" with fundie families that the parents SWEAR are real friends -- like the Bates. Shows how much these kids need their own friends, people to chat/joke with, a life (individually for each kid - not 1 life for all 19). Hate to say it but I was "impressed" that JD, Joseph, Jed/Jer etc. jumped in and hung out with him without being the slightest bit phased that he's black. Maybe there's some hope for them if they can get away from their freak show of a family.

• Love 15

My hub avoids the Duggars and was gone tonight so I decided to watch in real time. He got home in time to see the visit to the music store. I said, "That baby is named Spurgeon." He said, " That sounds like something you would exude from your body."

oh god the Duggar Family Band. Lucky the Willeses have left a vacancy. 

Why have I never watched this drunk before? Bwah ha ha ha ha. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, cereality said:

Flame being around shows HOW MUCH these "kids" need friends. He was only with the boys for a few hrs and he and his wife were at the house probably no more than an hr but it livened up the joint.

Yes, exactly! The Flame and Crystal part of this episode was actually fun to watch - I found myself smiling and laughing quite a bit. Flame really did bring those kids out of their Duggar fog, and I didn't even mind JB and Michelle during that segment. 

• Love 2

"Send me a picture and I'll send you a message about it..."  

I would PAY to read that text from Jeremy's mom.  I bet it was golden.   She had to hang up just to wrap her mind around her son's idiocy because she couldn't fake it for the speaker/camera.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 16

I think it's unanimous. I LOVED Flame. But then, I'm a big city (about St. Louis sized) girl, so I get his vibe. 

What guy invites another guy 8 years younger and his future FIL ring shopping? I thought it telling that Jessa said that Ben considers Jeremy his "best friend," but there was no reciprocal TH segment from Jeremy. Oops. 

I'm going to need vast amounts of booze to get through the engagement next week. A Baaaaaaaabe!!!!!!1111 drinking game would kill us all. 

eta: I forgot Downton Abbey was on one of my PBS stations at the same time. Thankfully, I recorded it, but I would have rather watched DA at 8 and Counting On later, so I could watch it in hyperspeed. I think after all the commercials and scene recaps, there's maybe 30 minutes of original content. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
wordsmithing stuff
  • Love 2

I really liked Jessa saying Jinger was her best friend. She seemed awkward and nervous about it. Like she wasn't sure or maybe her parents drilled it in to her heads it was wrong to have a best friend among her sisters. Either way seeing her acknowledge her friendship with Jinger was sweet.  Meanwhile Jinger was a little too wrapped up with Jeremy to pay too much attention, although she did agree with Jessa.

I also liked Flame and his family. They were great around the Duggars. Agreed with all the posters above, and if anyone posts saying Flame is great.

JB did a 180 on Jeremy or at least a 150. Compared to last week when he was roaring like dragon or a lion, this week he seemed respectful and almost meek? well, not exactly but polite and friendly.  It makes last week look more scripted.

Based on his ring shopping, Jeremy seems like the perfect person to buy a car from the Duggars. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

What the hell is this blue shirt Humpy is wearing? And does he have to OK the ring? WTH? Pardon me; I have been into the cab sauv. 

Humpy had a neon orange version of the same shirt on down in Laredo.  Is is Safari-Wear?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Chicklet said:

I say turn this shit show over to Flame though his wife does not lie well for TV  (those kids should make an album, nuhhuh sister aint happening).

Jana's GARDEN???? What the hell Duggars? Jana should hook up with a landscaper boy, she's doing well.

Someone should have put a toaster on their wedding registry.

A toaster AND a high chair for Spurge!  I feel horrible for that precious baby having to sit on the damn floor by himself during mealtime!  These people really are a special kind of stupid.  I wish Spurgeon had his own show; I could look at him forever.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Temperance said:

JB did a 180 on Jeremy or at least a 150. Compared to last week when he was roaring like dragon or a lion, this week he seemed respectful and almost meek? well, not exactly but polite and friendly.  It makes last week look more scripted.

That's really true.  Jeremy is the first one of the husbands who doesn't bow down to Boob's authority.  He gives him surface respect, calling him Mr. Dugger and letting him think he has a say in any part of this courtship, but I think both Jeremy and JB understand that once they are married Dad's authority is dunzo.  This may be the first Duggar marriage where they will be forced to practice what they preach. Leave and cleave, indeed. How ya like them apples Jimmy Boy?

• Love 7

I think KJB has one of those shirts in every color, and they look brand spanking new. He needed some new threads to cover his ever-expanding gut. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
two posts that weren't there when I hit send
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, louannems said:

Humpy had a neon orange version of the same shirt on down in Laredo.  Is is Safari-Wear?

This is cracking me up so much. Especially because I think it should have a (TM) after it. 

Jim Bob is modeling a fetching Safari-Wear(TM) ensemble in neon blue. 

ETA: when I try to think of JB on safari, I see a pith helmet and pop-gun. Bang!

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2