Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E02: Week 2: TV Theme Songs

• Start Topic

I know there was some snark regarding Derek's comments last week about how DWTS is a positive show (or something to that effect), but I'm beginning to think that's really true.  If you focus your attention on the pros and celebrities milling around in the background during interviews, you'll see that there's a lot of laughing and horsing around going on.  I don't know if it's the pros, the crew, or the producers (or maybe a combination of) but the atmosphere just seems to be one of support and encouragement. 

I've always thought that to be true about this show at least between the celebs. Sometimes it's conflicts between partners (hey Hope Solo!), disagreements between pros and judges and sometimes the dancers themselves, but most of the celebs seem they WANT to be there to learn and try something new.  Once in a while you can tell they're there for the paycheck (Mischa Barton) but this is out of their comfort zone and some people face their demons through this show.  And a lot do seem happy that they did the show no matter the result.

• Love 5

I have nothing tremendous to add, but I will agree with those who say that Maureen was underscored. And gosh, I wish Artem had gotten Laurie, though I still like Val. I just don't think Maureen will stick around long. As an INVETERATE BB fan -- I could tell you the episode within the first 10 seconds -- I was excited about Maureen being on the show. I actually downloaded her memoir on my Kindle, and man, girl had some tough times. It sounds like a combination of finding a church and marrying a good man really helped stabilize her...BUT...and oh, I hate to say this. She has that awful desperate fragile quality that doesn't translate well to this show. She may not be nearly as desperate and fragile as she appears, but it's how she comes off, sadly. I think many people, myself included, feel kind of anxious watching her. We want her to do well, and she wants to do well, and it all just seems so...tense. She did have much more confidence this week, and I hope America votes to have her stay around for a bit because I would love to see her have a journey where she grows in that confidence. And Artem. Now that Tristan is gone, he is my reason for breathing. A bit of an exaggeration. (a little bit, mind you.) Mr. Gardencrown enjoys Sharna a whole lot, and the beginning picture of the two of the dancing slays us both -- we discussed getting it and putting it up in our bedroom, but thought others might find it a little...strange? But then, who really goes in your bedroom:))

Jake cannot NOT give off douchebag vibes, though I appreciated that he seemed to understand and value the criticism about being ahead of the music. He and Jenna seem terribly mismatched -- I know there's not really much of an age difference, but she seems like his mother. And her costume. Others have said it better than I can. I try, I really try to like her. She's a good dancer, and from what I understood when she was on SYTYCD, she is a very hard worker that choreographers like. So she's probably a lovely girl. But her TV demeanor has always rubbed me the wrong way. As for Jake, I think he's a douchebag but I'm willing to consider he may have a really bad case of resting bitch face.

James I love. Happy for Sharna, just as I am horrendously sad for Emma. Emma is SO lovely and kind -- why must they stick her with the likes of Rick Perry -- who, to be fair, did actually engage with the quickstep and put himself out there. Yes, it was bad, but he wasn't sulky or refusing to try. So a few points there.

I thought that Jana and Babyface were WAY overscored. I know she was injured (and I've had spinal fusion surgery -- I winced through their whole dance), but that was...not good. And poor Babyface is trying very hard, but he seems painfully shy. I wonder if his overscoring indicating that he is killing it in votes or that he's tanking? Max and Amber are not clicking at all for some reason. I thought they would be fun together, but so far, they're snore-worthy. Terra and Sasha are cute. Like Emma (are they still dating), Sasha seems like an awesome sweet person. I'm happy to see him so happy.

Finally, Derek DID choreograph the hell out of that foxtrot 'cause that was not easy music. And Lindsey and Calvin are adorbs. For a man with such huge feet (and I sympathize -- along with a bad back, I have huge feet), he moves them pretty gracefully. And he's having FUN.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Vinyasa said:

The three judges giving comments needs to stop! It makes no sense to give a score with no comments. UGH

Either have three judges and get rid of Julianne  OR have a time limit on all four judges and stop the endless rambling.

For some reason, this season more than most, they're really concerned about timing on the show. Last night they didn't even introduce each couple at the beginning of the show like they've always done (when the couples walk down the stairs & their numbers are shown onscreen as they do); I think they just put the numbers onscreen & introduced the couples when it was their turn to dance.

So basically Julianne's critique for Jake and Jenna....was that they might want to try looking at each other throughout the dance. Similar to last weeks dance...Jenna made herself the focus of the routine.  Given his danceability...I think a more experienced pro would either:

-dance down to his level...a little bit (Both weeks he looks like he on the struggle bus next to her)

-make the routine about the partnership...and how much fun you are having...even if the dancing isn't great (there is an element of "forced" with these two that they can't shake)

I've enjoyed plenty of "bad" dances just because they were fun.  IMO to be a good pro/teacher you really have to figure out your partner's needs and how to present them. I don't think Jenna has figured that out yet. I'd like to see Jake at least attempt ballroom before throwing in the towel on these two...but if they are eliminated before that happens I would not be heartbroken. 

13 minutes ago, Gardencrown said:

Max and Amber are not clicking at all for some reason. I thought they would be fun together, but so far, they're snore-worthy.

I keep waiting for these to two to "happen"....but no luck.  Maybe she'll be better in Latin???  It's like she checks her personality at the door when she steps on the dance floor. Oh hey that rhymed :)

Anyway...why the hell is she so timid? She's not a bad dancer but she is not even dynamic which surprises me. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm surprised that Len didn't make any comments about all the arsing around and faffing about we're getting at the beginning of these routines.

Maureen looked like a totally different dancer this week. Her footwork was cleaner and she was much more confident. It was nice to see so much improvement. On the one hand, I wish her scores had reflected that more. On the other hand, I feel like ALL of the scores were too high last week. There were way too many 7s and 8s for the first week of competition to people who were really just average. I think anyone who gets an 8 in the first week should be really amazing. Anyway, it was also really sweet to hear Maureen and Florence talking about how much they still love each other after all these years. I also loooooove Artem. He has been awesome since S1 of SYTYCD and he's just gotten even better since then.

As always, I feel for anyone who gets injured doing this show. I think that Jana has potential. She is coordinated and decently flexible, but I agree with Julianne's comment about how she doesn't completely straighten her knee plus she just lets her foot hang instead of actively pointing. Her footwork in general looked a little sloppy. I don't know if that's because she was in pain or if she just doesn't pay attention to her feet in general.

Rick's Green Acres dance was much better than I thought it would be. He was not great last week so I thought that his quickstep would be stilted and messy. Compared to some of the male celebs we've seen shuffling their feet across the floor during quickstep, I thought he did pretty well. He lifted his feet so you could see the individual steps. I know that's setting the bar pretty low but after 20+ seasons of this show, I have really low expectations for quickstep performances.

Calvin's Urkel foxtrot was pretty good. I'm glad he understands that acting is necessary to sell the choreography.

Did DWTS take the camera guys from SYTYCD or are they deliberately trying to camouflage Amber Rose's ho hum dancing? We got all the tricks designed to hide a bad dancer's bad dancing: the spinny camera, closeups so we couldn't see footwork (plus all the smoke hiding her feet). I am okay with not working ballroom shoes for these routines, but you definitely need to practice in the shoes you're going to wear on tv from the beginning, whether that's ballroom shoes or boots or whatever. Man, the audience barely made a peep when the judges revealed her scores.

Jake's Diego dance was an improvement over last week. I was so distracted by Jenna's cat makeup, hair, and costume. It's so easy to rush when your adrenaline is pumping so I understand him being ahead of the music but he needs to just take a deep breath and relax a little bit.

Vanilla Ice's Married with Children foxtrot was good but not great. For someone who danced in his music videos, his footwork isn't very sharp. I wasn't sure how I would feel about him because he's been a dick in the past. I loathed when he got slapped with that lawsuit for "Ice Ice Baby" and he justified it by saying that the one extra noise made the musical phrase totally different and he therefore didn't steal that musical phrase. He also did a show at my college campus (and at a tiny pub, not a big venue) back when he was a has-been (before his "comeback" on Celebrity Boxing, The Surreal Life, The Vanilla Ice Project, etc) and he was pretty rude to the audience (berating them, telling them to fuck off, etc). He seems to have a good attitude now so maybe he's just happier with his life these days. I totally agree with Carrie Ann - no more lip synching.

Tara's I Dream of Jeannie quickstep was okay. Some of the footwork was passable and then some of it was messy. It's only the second week and it's obvious that she's getting the judges' collective tongue baths this season. Three 8s? Give me a break.

Babyface's X Files Argentine tango wasn't bad but it was forgettable as soon as it was over. He's decently coordinated but I think that being saddled with the X Files theme song did them no favors. But I loved that his reaction to getting two 8s is that he's going to try even harder next week.

What I love about Laurie is that she's coordinated so she can handle the choreography but she's also a performer. She had great energy and she looked like she was having so much fun. I am already tired of the weird comments though. A Disney Beyonce? Shut up, Julianne.

Erin was driving me crazy during her interview with James. Why does she ask a question and then interrupt before he has a chance to get a full sentence out? It's so annoying.

My main takeaway from Marilu's Taxi dance was that I want to give Derek a haircut.

Sorry, Lochte, I don't feel sorry for you AT ALL, even if you tell me how sad it made you to see your mom in tears after the protesters showed up. I don't care how many gold medals you've won. You trashed a gas station bathroom and then lied and said you were robbed at gunpoint to cover it up. THAT should make your mom cry more than some guy in a t-shirt with your name on it. I know that DWTS is supposed to rehab his image and damn if the show isn't playing along with that by giving him the pimp spot (when he is clearly not the best dancer) and replaying last week's incident to make Ryan seem like the victim. I wouldn't be surprised if the conspiracy theory that the protesters were plants intended to win sympathy for Ryan is true (despite the reports that the protesters somehow blame Ryan for their relative being arrested for selling fake tickets at the Olympics, which makes no sense to me). Also hilarious how last week they wouldn't show what was happening but this week they were like hey, let's show footage of this guy getting tackled and people rallying around Ryan and Derek telling the protesters that this is a positive show!

ETA: I still don't think that DWTS is the place to protest a douche like Ryan Lochte and I know he is not the worst person they've ever had on the show. But I also think that DWTS is milking this for every drop of drama possible which is gross.

Terra danced to the theme from Bewitched, not I Dream of Jeannie. Same TV era though.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, corgi said:

I really liked James in the Walking Dead dance. I wasn't really listening to the show but I think they said he didn't get a lot of practice in so I thought he did very well considering the circumstances.   It's early yet but  like him and Laurie at this point (surprising 'cause I'm like Lou Grant over here - I hate spunky).

I also liked Calvin and Marilu. I also wish she danced better 'cause I just like Amber Rose for some reason, so hopefully she'll get better as the show progresses.

James had a big race in Sonoma on the weekend which limited his rehearsal and learning time to something like 36 hours. Plus TeamStopandGo's music was disallowed at the last minute so Sharna had to choreograph a new routine and teach it to James in a matter of hours, not days. James came in, learned the dance and they simply performed the bejeepers out of it.  Scores  were way too low, I think.

• Love 4

We were in Sonoma last week when the race was going on. Could have seen James! He did remarkably well then. Looking forward to more routines.

OK, dance boots are not hard to dance in. Truly. I was a UCWDC (Country and swing) pro dancer years ago, and I can tell you for sure that heel leads are so much easier with a bigger heel vs a tiny pointed heel. Spent a lot of time in both. Amber is not balanced over her feet hence her issues with slipping. It wasn't the boots.

Haven't heard anything, but I would bet Jake doesn't like to practice and avoids putting in the hours. Any takers?

Thought about voting for Emma, but just couldn't vote for Rick. That and suddenly my Disney passwords don't work.

And the story of the swimmers trashing the bathroom in Rio has been thoroughly debunked. Find another reason to hate Lochte.

• Love 7

Marilu.....eh, if it was anyone other than Derek she'd be getting lost in the shuffle.

I agree. I know it's only been 2 weeks but so far I don't see her as any better than Maureen but for some reason Maureen is getting under-scored and Marilu is getting over-scored. {tinfoil hat} It makes me suspect they feel the need to throw Maureen under the bus in order to prop Marilu because they're both so similar in terms of nostalgic fanbases and eras/ages they might cancel each other out. {/tinfoil hat}

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but Derek was dressed as Reverend Jim Ignatowski (Christopher Lloyd). 

Maybe they were going for Reverend Jim but I still thought of Bobby until they specified it up in the sky box, so fail in costuming.

Last week I was somewhat uncomfortable watching Terra but I was very impressed with her this week. I didn't know how they'd pull off a dance in hold but they actually did it quite well and it didn't really even look all that odd or anything. I kind of agreed with the scores.

Who was the shirtless, "zombie" troupe member who spent every minute behind Erin Andrews mugging for the camera? He was driving me to distraction.

The pro in the Diego go dance had very unfortunate placement of the black shiny fringe. I don't like the guy anyway, but her swaying black fringe in the va-jay jay area totally distracted me

Well, as long as we're discussing distracting crotch areas . . . what was up with Gleb's 1970s gay discotheque pants?

• Love 3

I know there needs to be a Derek conspiracy theory every season but are the scores that different between Marilu and Maureen? Maureen got two 6's and two 7's this week and Marilu got mostly 7's - so what, a three point difference? Plus, in my opinion, Marilu is better than Maureen for the simple fact that she doesn't look terrified on the dance floor and like she's lacking confident. Muareen was better this week but last week was clunky and awkward in parts, not least because of her deer caught in the headlights expression throughout the dance. Also, while she was better this week, she lost the frame a few times in the dance.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I also corrected the Rev. Jim and Artem/Sasha issues. Sorry about that.

*whispers to Tara* There's still one more mention of Artem in that Sasha section.  :)

Side note: I love Sasha's "universal Dick" joke, but my first thought was he could have claimed to be a "complete Dick" instead.  Either way, he was funny.  ;)

4 hours ago, sparrowtime said:

James had a big race in Sonoma on the weekend which limited his rehearsal and learning time to something like 36 hours. Plus TeamStopandGo's music was disallowed at the last minute so Sharna had to choreograph a new routine and teach it to James in a matter of hours, not days. James came in, learned the dance and they simply performed the bejeepers out of it.  Scores  were way too low, I think.

Hinch had to have been so drained on Monday, considering that the race ended at about 6pm and he didn't get to LA until well after 1am. Combine that with the usual racer weight loss (5-8 pounds, on a good day) during a race and he's proving that he's in damn good shape. 

I had no idea that the music was disallowed. I just think its slightly cheeky to make the guy that almost died last year dance to a song titled 'the walking dead.' 

• Love 2

So, the 2 hour results show.  Why?  They're going to recap every dance, throw in a few numbers from the pros (which would be worth seeing, if they weren't buried in the middle of 2 hours of groaning boredom), and then try to draw out suspense.  No, thanks.

I just realized Jenna is Jenna from So You Think  You Can Dance.  Who was in one of my favourite dances from that show - one with Mark (who to this day is my fav dancer on that show).

I think the background stuff, especially listening to the dancers talk to the celebs while they're dancing.

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Interesting how they showed the security dude tackling the Lochte protestor, and Ryan goes and hides behind Cheryl when it all goes down. What kind of man are you? 

To be fair, it was a matter of angles.  There are a few different recordings of this.  Ones that make it look like Ryan hid behind Cheryl were more from the side.  The recording that's head-on makes it much more apparent that he quickly stepped back once the guard tackled the protestor and rushed into Ryan/Cheryl on their left side.  Cheryl was standing to Ryan's right and Tom was in front of Cheryl.  Ryan was really the only one in the path of the tackling guard.  Rather than push into Cheryl from her left to get out of the way, or push into Tom to shield Cheryl (and go into the direction of the guard, which is no one's reflex), Ryan seemed to stepped back and to the right so he didn't jostle into anyone.  Sure it would have been cool if he pulled a Riggins, shielding Julie Taylor from shattering glass windows, but I really don't think he was being selfish.

• Love 9

I like how they made Emma look like Eva Gabor, but Rick isn't good.  Calvin is good to watch because he looks like he's having fun.  I didn't think Amber's dance looked like a Viennese Waltz, but more tango or Paso.  But it's sad when the costuming ruins your dance.  Jake looks like he has an attitude when he gets the critiques.  Too bad, so sad. I really like Babyface, but I wish he could loosen up a bit.  He has potential.   Laurie's excitement is contagious.  She's just great.   James has surprised me and it will be good to see how well he can do now that racing season is over.   Not a fan of Marilu at all.  She can go anytime.   Ryan, meh.  

Just a general observation, but Maureen hasn't aged very well.  I was shocked how wrinkly her face and neck looked, and thought that Mom Brady didn't look a whole lot older. 

1. Terra and Sasha-I actually agreed with the judges’ score for them and it was surprisingly my favorite dance of the night. To me, up to that point, their quickstep had the best combo of content, performance, incorporation of theme, and execution. I felt Terra did a great job with the technique and was impressed with Sasha for managing the height difference so well.

2. Babyface and Allison-Allison seems to do well with Argentine tango. Another good balance of content, theme, performance, and execution for me, and the dance went quite well with the X-Files music. My only complaint is the dark lighting with dark costuming…I wanted to appreciate the dance more clearly!

3. Calvin and Lindsay-Calvin seems better suited to standard ballroom. Overall, I thought his frame/posture was good and he moved smoothly. They looked like they were having a lot of fun which made it very enjoyable to watch.

Those were the three couples that stood out the most to me last night. As for everyone else:

Marilu-nice and proper foxtrot, but unfortunately, the Taxi theme is very low-key, which makes it hard for the dance to “pop.”

James-I agreed with CA and Julianne that James needed to be more expansive and stretch out his shaping.

Laurie-I agree that her feet could have been pointed more and she could have used a little better precision.

Jana-I was surprised Len gave an 8 because there was a section in the middle that had nothing to do with tango. I am also ready to see something else other than “sexy” from them.

Vanilla Ice-I actually am glad CA told him to not lip-synch as it was bothering me too. I think the foxtrot exposed his weaknesses, but I do appreciate his attitude very much.

Maureen-I feel like Maureen needs to lighten up a little. She’s not going to make dance a second career. I thought she did a respectable job with her quickstep, though the body separation between her and Artem was glaring.

Amber-I don’t understand why Maks did not put any in-hold dancing in the VW. There was a section where they were waltzing with their hands wrapped around each other’s heads/neck…why not just get into frame? Also wish they could have utilized more space. Otherwise, Amber actually has a lot of natural ability, so I hope they can get their scores up.

Ryan-He has technique issues to work on, but the judges seem to critique him with a more negative tone than other contestants who have similar issues, both last week and this week. Glad that he enjoyed himself with the dance and I am rooting for him to do better and last longer.

Rick-He dances like I expect a man of his age to dance, but he is having a great time, so good for him.

Jake-Like everyone else, I expect him to be the first elimination, but I actually don’t mind his personality or his dancing. Jenna also doesn’t bother me either (I think she is sweet and very talented), although I had the same thoughts about her cat costume as many have already pointed out.

Edited by calipiano81

Terra was just not good.  Her physical limitations make it hard for her to properly execute the steps.  It was more evident in Week One than Week Two, but she just still was not very good.  I hope that she will not be a case of not being judged accurately.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, RemoteControl88 said:

IMO to be a good pro/teacher you really have to figure out your partner's needs and how to present them. I don't think Jenna has figured that out yet.

My favorite, most recent example of this would probably be Artem's salsa with Patty LaBelle. It wasn't great and so unexpected of a routine, but she looked like she was having a blast and he just kind of rolled with it. Best dance ever? No. But it was hella entertaining.

• Love 2

I wonder if Maks can really get Amber into a proper frame? That would mean their centers should be in contact, and when that happens I'm not sure it leaves enough room up top for her "curves". 

Edited by DancingD
  • Love 1

Derek pulled out one of his best choreo routines ever.  Foxtrot to that claptrap music?  For an aging partner?  He's the best pro.  He just is.  I was also struck while watching the package at how similar he and Marilu approach problem solving and communication.  Really cool.

The vibe was fun as can be, but I can not remember a more leaky routine to close a show (pimp spot).  Lochte must reeeeeeally have needed votes.  (I have no idea who was sent home as of this writing.)

It looks to me like this will be an LH and JH season.  One male, one female.  Genuine dance talent, easy on the eyes, and eminently likable.  Great pro partners, too.

As harsh as I was on CAI last week, I simply must give her props for her very nice remarks to Rick Perry this week.  This is how all the jidges should be with all contestants who are genuinely striving to be better.

Thoughts on contestants for week 2 (in alphabetical order):

Calvin & Lindsay – despite Lindsay having to stretch out her right arm to accommodate Calvin, thought the posture in hold looked better for the couple. Liked seeing how Calvin enjoyed the side to side moment near the judges table, only to then get back into a nice, comfortable foxtrot hold seamlessly and on with the routine. Also liked how he kept his final pose and posture right at the end as well. Maybe keep the right hand closed on Lindsay's back and the right shoulder from sneaking forward when in hold, but a fun-filled performance nonetheless.

James & Sharna - thought James made a nice effort in portraying the aggressiveness with his attitude. If given a chance, think he can create layers to his circular arm in front and to his side; also think bringing his pelvis underneath would've assisted with the body arc. Thought James vs. Sharna (and her zombie minions) would've been a nice paso theme; keep the solo fight moments, let the zombies react to couple's timely appels/lunges, with James finally administering the kill to Sharna (with the zombies falling in unison) only to stand triumphant. An enjoyable routine and performance nevertheless.

Jana & Gleb – nice to see the attack and drama in the performance. Good to see that she's flexible and that Gleb should have lots of ideas/materials to work with her legs. Liked the introduction on stage as she went after the piano, but thought she could've been a bit more gutteral/attacking to match Gleb's energy (maybe point the toes when crisscrossing as well). Thought that the frame got a hair high as it went on and she felt a bit tighter, but towards the end, thought she did a nice job releasing the performance on a high and hitting a nice pose.

Laurie & Val – it was an enjoyable routine to watch, and thought Laurie put on a fun, wholesome performance. Liked the split by Laurie in the lift with Val, the slight skip in the two hand underarm turn, and thought that overall there was a freedom to the routine without it being wild/out of control. Maybe avoid staying upright and keep the weight a bit over the balls of the feet when doing the kicks/flicks (like Val, who also deftly disposed of his errant glasses), but interested to see how Laurie will perform in the ballroom routines.

Marilu & Derek – thought they had a nice circular topline in hold as they moved towards the studio corner. Marilu looks comfortable in ballroom hold, breathes through her body well and agree she has an elegance to her free arm and movement. Thought the glide felt more comfortable compared to the jive. Maybe keep her head from leaning back and stressed when spinning in the pivot turns, and make an effort for larger strides when moving across the floor. But a nice routine nonetheless and look forward to her upcoming dances.

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 2
On 9/20/2016 at 0:11 AM, UncleChuck said:

In the full article by "Previously TV"

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but Derek was dressed as Reverend Jim Ignatowski (Christopher Lloyd).  If there is any doubt, just listen to Erin's interview after the dance.  Mari Lou references Derek as Rev Jim by name, and Derek makes the weird Rev Jim face. 

It would be difficult to have a "crush" on anyone who regularly made THAT face.

I saw Derek as Jeff Conaway too, and I'm sticking to that!

On September 20, 2016 at 5:37 PM, sinkwriter said:

Side note: I love Sasha's "universal Dick" joke, but my first thought was he could have claimed to be a "complete Dick" instead.  Either way, he was funny.  ;)

It was a cute joke, but I saw it as, "I don't know the difference/I haven't seen Bewitched so I'll make a joke." But that could just be because I'm a girl who'll insist that the only correct answer to that question is Dick York. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Maureen-I feel like Maureen needs to lighten up a little. She’s not going to make dance a second career. I thought she did a respectable job with her quickstep, though the body separation between her and Artem was glaring.

She needs to lighten up a bit. She seems like a very needy person and it's annoying for a person her age.

Didn't Maks ream someone out as a guest judge for a Viennese Waltz that wasn't really a VW because it didn't have proper hold? And then he does a VW without proper hold?

Just went back and watched, it was Kim and Keo during Switch Up Week last season. They did a modified hold due to their height difference.

9 minutes ago, majormama said:

Didn't Maks ream someone out as a guest judge for a Viennese Waltz that wasn't really a VW because it didn't have proper hold? And then he does a VW without proper hold?

Just went back and watched, it was Kim and Keo during Switch Up Week last season. They did a modified hold due to their height difference.

Yes and then later compounded it on the red carpet after the show by saying that if you're going to replace him (meaning Keo), then you better bring what he brought to the show. Yea...

• Love 3
On 9/20/2016 at 7:23 PM, ClareWalks said:

Interesting how they showed the security dude tackling the Lochte protestor, and Ryan goes and hides behind Cheryl when it all goes down. What kind of man are you? 

Lol I thought the same thing when he hid behind Cheryl. What man does that?  What did he think she was going to do, teach them how to cha cha. 

• Love 2

That didn't happen though. If you watch the scene (they showed it more closely on the elimination night), the security guy almost ran into Lochte, causing him to take a step back. No hiding behind anyone, just a step back. If someone is running into you there is no way to plan where your body ends up.

In other notes; i was disappointed they couldn't get the rights to play the actual Walking Dead theme song. The one they played wasn't close. I thought they did a bad job on most of the theme songs, except the Bewitched and Taxi songs. As far as the dancing, I thought it was an entertaining show and no one stuck out as really awful. Since Amber said she spends her time in combat boots and didn't like dancing shoes, I thought she would feel more comfortable in the boots, but guess not. 

I like Maks and am glad to see him back. He has a sense of humor, something that is missing in his brother Val and returnee Derek. I also think Maks is much more sexy and handsome than Val, but I get it that attraction varies. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I like Maks and am glad to see him back. He has a sense of humor, something that is missing in his brother Val and returnee Derek. I also think Maks is much more sexy and handsome than Val, but I get it that attraction varies

I think Maks is the sexier brother as well.  And, Maks does have a sense of humor.  I really loved it when he was partnered with Mel B.  Derek's sense of humor isn't as prevalent but he's shown his as well, especially when he had Amber R.

• Love 1
On 9/19/2016 at 10:16 PM, susannot said:

Whoever is dressing Ryan is falling down on the job.  That sparkly green tuxedo--NOT.  He has a killer bod and we want to see it, dammit!

I respectfully disagree. The less I see of Ryan Lochte, the better. 

Marilu & Derek's dance to the theme from Taxi was predictable and hence, boring. 

Maureen& Artem's Quickstep to the Brady Bunch theme was unexpected but fun. If Maureen ever gets over her insecurities, while I don't see her winning, I think she'll go pretty far. 

Vanilla Ice & Witney's Foxtrot to "Love & Marriage," aka "the theme from Married, With Children" was cute, Ice's footwork wasn't great, but it was better than I thought. 

Maks & Amber's routine to the theme from Game Of Thrones was meh. Corbin Bleu & Karina's routine to the same music was better.

Babyface & Allison's AT to the theme from The X-Files was a pleasant surprise. There wasn't too much "messing about" as Len would say and & Babyface held his frame. 

Calvin & Lindsay's Family Matters-themed Foxtrot was cute. Calvin's not the best technical dancer, but he's fun to watch.

Rick & Emma's Green Acres Quickstep was nothing special, Emma aside. 

Terra & Sasha's Bewitched-based Quickstep was nice enough, but that was more because of Sasha than her.

Jake & Jenna's routine to the theme from Go, Diego, Go! was dreadful. Cringe-worthy from start to finish. 

Ryan & Cheryl's Quickstep to the theme from The Muppet Show was kinda cute, but since the Muppets are Disney property now, they could have spared a couple of them for the number.

James & Sharna's Walking Dead-themed Paso wasn't as good as their Foxtrot, but ITA with the Judges that he's got potential. If James keeps working hard, then I can see him in the Finals.

Laurie & Val were adorable. Their Ducktales-  themed Jive was the best of the night, by far. Once again, it's theirs to lose.

Edited by DollEyes
To add stuff.