Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: A Courtship Begins

• Start Topic

Can't they find a used high chair (really isn't there one somewhere in the TTH warehouse?) so Spurge can be on eye level with them at meals?  I know I used my chair to keep the little ones safe and busy with a spoon or so too. Poor kid has to look at their legs. So many learning opportunities for toddlers at meal time that they are missing out on....oh wait....

• Love 6

I'm guessing that Spurgie is usually placed on the table or counter when in is little seat, but Jill received a lot a well deserved criticism with Izzy, so Jessa is showing us what a GOOD mom she is by placing him on the floor.

The Duggars don't seem real big on high chairs, someone is usually holding a baby during meal times.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think it's hilarious that for so many of us, watching the Duggars is like our dirty little secret. My headship isn't a fan either. It's like this forum is the one place we don't have to hide in shame, lol. 

I find Saturday mornings perfect - the hubby is out fixing stuff, and the teenagers haven't rolled out of bed yet.

As for John David, he may not the handsomest guy, but he seems shy, sincere, and willing to work for a living, and now thanks to his pig of an older brother, he has an extreme uphill battle finding a mate who hasn't heard about what happened in that family, and how they tried to cover it up.  I feel bad for the guy.

• Love 21

Finally watched this episode as well as the short episode called "First Look: It's Official." Here are some random observations.

Multiple times it was said that the Dullards have been in Danger America for 10 months. They sound defensive, trying to prove that they really are spending significant time down there. And more recently, in the Dullards new Ministry Summer Update ( http://www.dillardfamily.com/blog?ID=1fe54b79-0bd8-46ef-b9b0-b2ca85d00901 ), Derick says they've been gone 12 of the past 13 months.  It seems they're aware and sensitive to the criticisms about them returning to the U.S. so often.

There is some bad acting in this episode, particularly from Bin. When he suggests that Jessa invite Anna over to help with the baby-proofing of the house, it was obvious that the conversation was planned, and not reality.  And it's bad-acting Bin again in the clip of Jessa and Bin talking about Jinger wanting to keep her figure for her dress and Bin says "What dress?" and Jessa mouths "wedding dress." That was not reality TV, but scripted cutesiness.  (In Bin's defense, he didn't grow up being filmed, so he's not a natural.)  More bad acting comes from KJB and Jeremy in the "may I court your daughter" conversation. 

Interesting that they went to a non-chain hardware store in quaint-looking "old town" to get the baby-proofing stuff, rather than Walmart or Home Depot. Maybe those big stores wouldn't allow them to film inside.

Jing gushing over Jeremy - she's determined not to have anyone question whether she really likes him or not. Remember how Jessa seemed so lukewarm about Bin at first?

In the video where Bin and Jessa announce their new pregnancy, they say they both think it's a boy even though they don't actually know that. That bugged me for some reason. We already know that Bin is hoping for a bunch of boys (enough for a football team), so I think they just want it to be a boy.  Since I'm a female and I have 2 daughters, I sometimes feel slighted when people express a preference for boys. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

In the video where Bin and Jessa announce their new pregnancy, they say they both think it's a boy even though they don't actually know that. That bugged me for some reason. We already know that Bin is hoping for a bunch of boys (enough for a football team), so I think they just want it to be a boy.  Since I'm a female and I have 2 daughters, I sometimes feel slighted when people express a preference for boys. 

Looking at what Jessa has been through because of her parents' religion (women consider chattel, molested by brother, forced into caring for a hoard of children, made to keep sweet or you lose possessions and are locked in the prayer closet), I can see why she'd hope for male children. Who would want to have daughters if you have no interest in making their lives better than yours?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

Looking at what Jessa has been through because of her parents' religion (women consider chattel, molested by brother, forced into caring for a hoard of children, made to keep sweet or you lose possessions and are locked in the prayer closet), I can see why she'd hope for male children. Who would want to have daughters if you have no interest in making their lives better than yours?

Do we think Jessa has enough insight to consider all of this? Or maybe she wants to be the only female around all those males. Makes her more special and there would be no competition from a daughter who at some point will be prettier, thinner, etc than her mother.  That would require a level of insight too though. 

• Love 12

It's crazy to hear a couple say "I love you" (presumably for the first time) and look like they should kiss, that they want to kiss, but they can't due to ridiculous courting rules. He's 28 years old! And she's like 23? not sure. But yeah...

• Love 14

Yes, that seemed so awkward. Like the kiss would be the natural thing to do at that juncture, but they just kind of simpered and she eventually laid her head on his shoulder.  

Very similar to Jillard's "First Look" before their wedding. It was so awkward for them to stand there and grin at each other when an embrace and kiss would be entirely appropriate. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Magoo said:

There really is something sick about the entire Duggar clan, parents included, watching the sexual tension build in their own family member's budding relationship. They are so bizarrely voyeuristic during the courting process, and they all take such weird pleasure in watching the tension of the will-they-won't-they actually...front hug or more! Gasp! It's like they won't be satisfied until the actual Deed is done in the family living room for all to see and judge. I've honestly spent more time being forced to think about this family's sexual exploits than anyone I know in my real life. So much for modesty and Nike. it almost, almost makes me understand why Josh  ended up with such a fucked up thought process. No good can come from this for any of the kids left at home in that messed up household. 

Bolding mine.  You nailed it, Magoo!  They spend so much time on the physical aspect of a relationship, do they even realize that sex isn't the entirety of a marriage???   These kids aren't allowed to get to know one another beyond the chemistry that builds, for fuck's sake.  What happens when the lust dies off? 

• Love 7

Hahahaha!!!! I am dying of laughter. Good thing the Duggars "don't watch TV" because they're special snow flakes so they'll never catch it. 

The saddest part? We have gotten to the point where the episode description is more exciting than the actual episode, I will look forward to it every week now. 

"This week in yet another producer driven but still yawn inducing episode of Grifting On..."

• Love 6
On August 28, 2016 at 8:14 PM, OpieTaylor said:

I have a daughter too and I couldn't believe the number of people who would ask if I was going to try for a boy next time when they found out I was having a girl. I'm not disappointed to have a girl, thanks.

22 hours ago, toomuchtv said:

It's crazy to hear a couple say "I love you" (presumably for the first time) and look like they should kiss, that they want to kiss, but they can't due to ridiculous courting rules. He's 28 years old! And she's like 23? not sure. But yeah...

Isn't kind of weird that they barely know each other, just entered into the fundie version of dating, and are already saying "I love you"?

• Love 8

I think it's possible they'd said ILY before. Bates kids did (remember Nate and Ashley giving away pieces of their hearts right and left even before they started courting)? The Duggars may not have a TV aside from that 60 inch one in the master bedroom, but they have laptops, and all the older girls have iphones. They have certainly watched the Bateses' show. And truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jilly Muffin and Derelict didn't share words of as affection when he was still in Nepal. That was the girl who told a TV audience she was in love with a guy she'd never met. And who knows what Benessa said in their clandestine conversations. Although with those two, it was more about The Sex. Ben wrote about praying to get along with your spouse. LOL

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Marigold said:

You can see that Jermy has been around the block because his movements and mannerisms are of a man who knows how to kiss and hug and maybe do the nasty too! 

Ben was obnoxious with that comment "don't get too close!"  Uh, Ben, aren't you still a teenager?  Jeremy is like 10 years older than you.  

Did you notice Jessa and Ben all cozy on the sofa. Those two rarely are physically affectionate with eachother EXCEPT when showing off to the celibate couple about how they are free to do ANYTHING because they are married.  Heck, they can even dry hump at a mini golf course if they want to get freaky. 

This family spends so much time talking about not having sex and modest behavior that the whole thing now is a focus on sex!  It's very bizarre to be so hyper focused on sex, touching etc. 

Plenty of people don't have sex before marriage and guess what? They keep it private! No one actually knows about it! It's not that interesting. Jess and Ben and the Duggar crew have no clue that many other faiths value chastity before marriage. And non believers also.  It's not a big deal that the Duggar kids are virgins...they have NO clue they are not unique.  

Yes but they are extra virgin because they haven't ever been a lone with the opposite sex, unlike those awful regular virgins who actually had to practice self control while being alone together and *gasp* front hugging and kissing! Jesus obviously loves the Duggars the most for their basically arranged marriages. 

Ugh. I can't believe this nonsense is still on. I would have loved if Jinge said "Yeah we're kissing before marriage" since according to everyone the "couple gets to chose their courtship rules". Sure they do. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Bitter Betty said:

I have a daughter too and I couldn't believe the number of people who would ask if I was going to try for a boy next time when they found out I was having a girl. I'm not disappointed to have a girl, thanks.

A lot of people assume you want one of each.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, smlait said:

A lot of people assume you want one of each.

This is the stupidest and most hurtful assumption I've ever come in contact from and I get it all the time as a mom of 2 girls. We had a son, he died in utero and I lost 4 other babies (no clue on gender) so when people talk about having more or if we'll try for a boy...yeah, no. All I want to do is throat punch them. 

Sorry, a bit OT there.

• Love 16

(((Hugs))). I get it. Similar situation here. I hate when people make assumptions about what gender one is "trying for" or publicly ask if you want more or are done having kids, for that reason. You never know what someone's been through or is in the midst of. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

This is the stupidest and most hurtful assumption I've ever come in contact from and I get it all the time as a mom of 2 girls. We had a son, he died in utero and I lost 4 other babies (no clue on gender) so when people talk about having more or if we'll try for a boy...yeah, no. All I want to do is throat punch them. 

Sorry, a bit OT there.

So sorry. I don't think people realize how insensitive it is to ask that question. They don't mean to be hurtful, but I can see how for some people the question is painful. Hugs! 

• Love 6

This whole courtship nonsense is going to get more side eye worthy as these Duggar spawn get older. The novelty has long worn off. It was maybe kinda sorta not really cute when they were 18 or 19. As each Duggarling creeps towards 30 it's becoming more like a freak show. Duggar humpers could look at the fresh faced barely legal kids and think, "that's only a few years away. I want to be like that!" But as the stay at home daughterhood has played out loooong past the teenage years, it's nothing to aspire to anymore. The Duggars can't hold up their lifestyle as a beacon of righteousness because Toto has already pulled away the curtain to reveal the ugly truth and there is no great and powerful Oz. 

P.S. Even if you have two sons, people will get all up in your business and ask why you're not having a daughter too. I like to make things awkward as possible by asking them why they're not considering a facelift or a penis enlargement. But I'm hateful like that.

• Love 14

Jinge and Jer. Is he supposed to be a virgin at 28? Isn't that one of the Duggar pre-requisites? I want to know more about this guy. He's good looking and I just get the feeling he has been around and then decided to turn his life around? Does he want a gazillion kids, too? 

Jinge is so damn hot and horny for him, she CAN NOT wait to get in his pants! I love watching these two. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, fuzzylollipop said:

He's probably one of those born again virgins who was a wild slut back in college but now Jesus forgave him and so do the Duggars. Lucky Jinge might be the only female in that family to ever experience that almighty O.

Because sex-negative horny failed jocks devoted to misogynist theologies are well known for patiently helping "meek" ignorant virgins (who were molested as children but never counseled for it) realize their pleasure potential? (and if you think he's not sex-negative, take a listen to his Masturbation Is Satanic! sermon) Seems to me that with all Jer's obvious hangups slam bam bam bam snore is a lot more likely.

I'd actually expect Bin and/or Dreck to be more inclined to foster their wives' orgasms. (and I don't have very high expectations for that, either)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

@Churchhoney yep I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right. He'll be a selfish born again. I do get that vibe of him on the show, the way Jinge submissively hangs on to him, practically drooling and he kind of acts like he's heaven sent for her. I've avoided that awkward masturbation video so far (who knew a video on masturbation could be so awkard without having said act in it) but now that I've thought about it more, he strikes me as the type that if his meek virgin does feel an orgasm, he'll lecture her about it being sinful because sex should be reproduction focused and never pleasurably. Maybe we'll even get another YouTube video out of it. 

I feel like with Bin there's a lot of really awkward fooling around and with Derelict it's awkward plus the added bonus of it smelling. 

And now I feel like I have spent way more time than I've ever wanted to spend speculating on someone else's sexual activities. Damn you Duggars. 

Edited by fuzzylollipop
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, fuzzylollipop said:

@Churchhoney yep I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right. He'll be a selfish born again. I do get that vibe of him on the show, the way Jinge submissively hangs on to him, practically drooling and he kind of acts like he's heaven sent for her. I've avoided that awkward masturbation video so far (who knew a video on masturbation could be so awkard without having said act in it) but now that I've thought about it more, he strikes me as the type that if his meek virgin does feel an orgasm, he'll lecture her about it being sinful because sex should be reproduction focused and never pleasurably. Maybe we'll even get another YouTube video out of it. 

I feel like with Bin there's a lot of really awkward fooling around and with Derelict it's awkward plus the added bonus of it smelling. 

And now I feel like I have spent way more time than I've ever wanted to spend speculating on someone else's sexual activities. Damn you Duggars. 

I wish it were the way it looked to you initially! A while ago it kind of looked that way to me, too -- Hope springs for most of us at times where the kids are concerned, I think. I'd love a fun ending for Jinger. ..... But then I started totting up the potential seeds-of-sexual-dysfunction in this couple. And -- yikes.

But maybe we'll be wrong and they'll work out. I'd still like that, even though I think it's the next thing to impossible....

Also -- Yep. Damn you, Duggars.

• Love 4

I wonder if Jeremy carries a lot of guilt over his "wild" past, assuming he did have one. I hope not, because that might be a problem for him even after marriage. I am sure there is some sort of "Madonna/slut" thing for all these guys, on some level, due to their ridiculous cult teachings. Since Jeremy grew up non-Got-hard, perhaps he will be okay. I hope so. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I wonder if Jeremy carries a lot of guilt over his "wild" past, assuming he did have one. I hope not, because that might be a problem for him even after marriage. I am sure there is some sort of "Madonna/slut" thing for all these guys, on some level, due to their ridiculous cult teachings. Since Jeremy grew up non-Got-hard, perhaps he will be okay. I hope so. 

I commented on this in another thread but Jinger looks hungry for him. Hungry. She might surprise him with her enthusiasm, I hope he's good to her. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Because sex-negative horny failed jocks devoted to misogynist theologies are well known for patiently helping "meek" ignorant virgins (who were molested as children but never counseled for it) realize their pleasure potential? (and if you think he's not sex-negative, take a listen to his Masturbation Is Satanic! sermon) Seems to me that with all Jer's obvious hangups slam bam bam bam snore is a lot more likely.

I'd actually expect Bin and/or Dreck to be more inclined to foster their wives' orgasms. (and I don't have very high expectations for that, either)

Exactly. All that Masturbation is Satanic BS gives me no hope for him.

• Love 5

Finally getting around to watching this shit show and I barely made it through the episode. I don't think my body can take watching these folks anymore. 

Add me in the Jeremy Creeps Me Out group. That speech he gave Jinger when he asked her to court was as fake as a $3. He wants to screw along with the modicum of fame that comes with being associated with this family (he's longing for the attention that disappeared when soccer ended) and she is in love with the idea of being in love. She's watched all the attention/perks that her sisters have partaken in post courting/engagement and she's ready to get caught up in that. It's no different that the girls who want to get married and have babies based on what others post on Pinterest/Instagram/Facebook. 

• Love 8
On 8/27/2016 at 5:46 PM, louannems said:

I also felt annoyance, maybe even anger, seeing Noelle dressed in African native wear, but not her blond-haired, bleu-eyed sister.God forbids that she ever, ever forget her adopted parents saving her, and Noelle getting an attitude.  The mom gave me the creeps.  And why did Jessa mention their last name 14 times??

Dude, this pissed me off to the highest of pisstivity! I get that people who adopt children of other ethnicities want to make sure they learn about their cultures but I found the outfit and the timing of it being worn suspect as hell (and this is coming from someone who's family has adopted 3 times). The whole thing screamed EXPLOITATION. 

• Love 13
20 hours ago, Marigny said:

Dude, this pissed me off to the highest of pisstivity! I get that people who adopt children of other ethnicities want to make sure they learn about their cultures but I found the outfit and the timing of it being worn suspect as hell (and this is coming from someone who's family has adopted 3 times). The whole thing screamed EXPLOITATION. 

That's probably the only time that kid has worn that outfit because the cameras were on.  

• Love 5

Jinge in her skirt with leggings courting a 29 year old man.....something is way off here. She looks like a 12 year old, acts like a 12 year old, and is on the "fast track" to adult hood and is about as ready as a 12 year old, smh. Then she mentions after leaving Jessa & Ben's house they are heading over to the "main house", I've never referred to my parents house as the main house. Does Jeremy see nothing wrong with this?

• Love 8

I guess it beats "the compound," but not by much. Also, by talking about it after leaving another Duggar residence, it implies that the Benessa abode is a satellite Duggar residence. Which, of course, it is. The Dullards and Smuggars have lived off the reservation, but the Dullards were grifting in Danger America and back at the Pool House satellite of the Compoud, again living rent-free. As is Josh, I suspect. He's the only Duggar of his generation who has actually paid rent to a real landlord. 

And if my suspicions are correct, JinJer will soon have a rent-free home of their own to go along with Jer's brand new "ministry" in Northwest AR.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess it beats "the compound," but not by much. Also, by talking about it after leaving another Duggar residence, it implies that the Benessa abode is a satellite Duggar residence. Which, of course, it is. The Dullards and Smuggars have lived off the reservation, but the Dullards were grifting in Danger America and back at the Pool House satellite of the Compoud, again living rent-free. As is Josh, I suspect. He's the only Duggar of his generation who has actually paid rent to a real landlord. 

And if my suspicions are correct, JinJer will soon have a rent-free home of their own to go along with Jer's brand new "ministry" in Northwest AR.

I guess we shouldn't be aurprised . The only reason JB and M would have 19 kids would be for the feeling of ownership and dominion over them. They weren't viewing it as no temporary lease. And their cravings for ownership and control probably only grow stronger as the possibility of having still more minions recedes fatrher into the past. Especially for Jim Bob (since I think Michelle's kind of out of it and wanted the kids more as badges than as actual pawns probably). Now KJB's got nothing left to satisfy his ego except his feelings of control over the already existing kids.

• Love 1

It's all about control with KJB. And wasn't it Koka (or maybe it was someone on FJ) who revealed that KJB currently owns 12 RESIDENTIAL properties (and fewer commercial ones....I guess he's putting those in his kidults' names now). 

As John McEnroe just  said during a point during the US Open as one guy is eviscerating the other, "This isn't rocket science right now."