Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, dorcastrilling said:

I will be 62 next month and my hair changed very young. I was coloring by my mid 20's. Three years ago I gave up and let it grow out....it is now white and I love it.

I had a couple of aunts who had pale coloring with rosy cheeks and ice blue eyes.  When they went gray, it turned out to be a lovely shade of silver that enhanced their looks greatly.  One of my aunts was a no-nonsense type who had her hair cut at the same barber her husband used and strangers would approach her and ask her who did her hair, it was that striking.  If I could go gray like that, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Alas, totally different coloring makes it unlikely.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I had a couple of aunts who had pale coloring with rosy cheeks and ice blue eyes.  When they went gray, it turned out to be a lovely shade of silver that enhanced their looks greatly.  One of my aunts was a no-nonsense type who had her hair cut at the same barber her husband used and strangers would approach her and ask her who did her hair, it was that striking.  If I could go gray like that, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Alas, totally different coloring makes it unlikely.

I have the complexion of my Irish ancestors and blue eyes with no other underlying color. Makes sun very painful!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Both of my sisters are like this.  They both have the same hair our great grandmother had which when it turned gray it went that silvery white (oldest sister is 58, went this color in her 40's and the other is 54, same thing).  Its beautiful.  I got the hair from my mom's side.  Mouse brown with some gray but not enough to look good as is.  I have been coloring my hair since I was 12 (my mom wasn't too pleased I started doing it that young).  Went from mouse brown to blonde to red for many years, then blonde and now reddish again.  The one thing I miss about being a hairdresser was getting it done for free.  

I don't like grandma Mary's hair whether its a wig or her natural do.  For all this blathering on about their countenance it does nothing for her.  She looks good for her age but I would like to see her with a jazzier (yes I said it!  JAZZ!!!) do.  Who am I kidding, I want to go at them all with my shears!

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I don't like grandma Mary's hair whether its a wig or her natural do.  For all this blathering on about their countenance it does nothing for her.  She looks good for her age but I would like to see her with a jazzier (yes I said it!  JAZZ!!!) do.  Who am I kidding, I want to go at them all with my shears!

I too think grandma Mary could have a jazzier style. I’ve had grey hair since I was 11, and being my father’s child I expected to be salt and pepper by my mid 20s.  At 32 it’s starting to come in at the temples, I’m going to start coloring it. The grey hairs are straighter!(that’s surprising)

I think Mary’s hair is very THIN that’s why she wears it in that whispy way. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I am trying to click a story on Radar Online about Famy getting a divorce but the site is being trippy. Wonder if it's true and how much they paid to get the "exclusive?"

Ignore it, it’s clickbait. It’s an interview with Amy where she talks about problems in her marriage in the early days but things are ‘golden’ now.

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't even click on anything if I know it's Radar Online. Their content is cr*p and especially if I'm on my phone or iPad, the site has been known to snarl up my browser; I suspect it's malware or extra-aggressive adware. I've actually gone so far as to uninstall a clobbered-up phone/tablet browser after a visit to that skanky site. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
On 6/5/2018 at 8:07 AM, Jeeves said:

I don't even click on anything if I know it's Radar Online. Their content is cr*p and especially if I'm on my phone or iPad, the site has been known to snarl up my browser; I suspect it's malware or extra-aggressive adware. I've actually gone so far as to uninstall a clobbered-up phone/tablet browser after a visit to that skanky site. 

In the era of "fake news" Radar is the epitome of "fake." I just like to look at it for the entertainment factor. Today Famy is ready for a BABY y'all. At least she waited 4 years vs on her honeymoon to get pregnant unlike her cousins. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Today Famy is ready for a BABY y'all. At least she waited 4 years vs on her honeymoon to get pregnant unlike her cousins. 

I doubt it.  She could not give up drinking for 9 months.  She even stops for drinks on the way home from church.

• Love 5
On 05/06/2018 at 10:40 AM, Fuzzysox said:

I am trying to click a story on Radar Online about Famy getting a divorce but the site is being trippy. Wonder if it's true and how much they paid to get the "exclusive?"

Their site is constantly broken and redirecting. 

I noticed (sparse) grey temples in my late twenties. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, LillyB said:

I believe that poor Jordan is the latest laundry slave. I hope that I am wrong.

At least she doesn't have to have a baby tied to her .  When Jill, Jana and Jessa were that age, they were all caring for babies.

• Love 4

Definitely. No way in hell Meeechelle is doing one tiny thing to actually care for the next gen being repeatedly dumped off at her house. That's unmarried female Duggarlings all the way.

Why else would JB and M have gushed in all those birthday cards, etc., about how much Jordan loooooves to care for "other mothers' babies" when she comes across them (unsupervised and dangling from the staircase or something)? 

Of course, besides her colossal selfishness and general distaste for, you know, actual children, Meeeechelle is too cracked and/or drugged up most of the time to be trusted with the babies anyway, I expect. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Why else would JB and M have gushed in all those birthday cards, etc., about how much Jordan loooooves to care for "other mothers' babies" when she comes across them (unsupervised and dangling from the staircase or something)

^^^^Thank you for my best laugh of the day! 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, LillyB said:

I believe that poor Jordan is the latest laundry slave. I hope that I am wrong.

I hope they film it when Jordan figures out that by washing Mechelle and Boob's clothes all in hot water and then high dryer heat she can shrink them some so they are miserable wearing them.  

• Love 10

Gotta give Amy credit for undertaking something that sounds worthwhile (and is she throwing a little shade on her cousins?). She's made her Instagram private, so I guess I can't post that link here. So I've tried snipping her post...

Amy1.thumb.JPG.5f6d338abec7c6cfa07eabba918a0e34.JPGAmy2.thumb.JPG.e891a5462908471116299ec047741a78.JPG

• Love 13

Lesson for Deredick and the rest of the Duggars clan: instead of thinking of yourself do something to improve the lives of others who are in a tough situation. I doubt they would understand it.

33 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Gotta give Amy credit for undertaking something that sounds worthwhile (and is she throwing a little shade on her cousins?). She's made her Instagram private, so I guess I can't post that link here. So I've tried snipping her post...

Amy1.thumb.JPG.5f6d338abec7c6cfa07eabba918a0e34.JPGAmy2.thumb.JPG.e891a5462908471116299ec047741a78.JPG

I think what really happened is that Dillon kicked her lazy butt to the curb until she got a job.  She is almost 32-years-old and has never had a full-time job.  She wanted people to hire her as a singer or for a cast member in a reality TV show.  There were no takers. In the three years she has been married, she has tried to make a living online with a clothing site, marital advice podcasts, and earning commissions from hawking affiliate merchandise on Instagram.  She even tried to sell used items from a kiosk with her grandmother on the weekends.

Now, she landed a minimum wage job as a caregiver in an institution.  She wants to portray herself as a mentor, but that is a caregiver's uniform she is wearing. The real mentors are the social workers and psychologists on staff. 

Amy's not going to like working 40 hours a week, especially doing menial tasks.  Welcome to reality, Amy.       

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, Mollie said:

I think what really happened is that Dillon kicked her lazy butt to the curb until she got a job.  She is almost 32-years-old and has never had a full-time job.  She wanted people to hire her as a singer or for a cast member in a reality TV show.  There were no takers. In the three years she has been married, she has tried to make a living online with a clothing site, marital advice podcasts, and earning commissions from hawking affiliate merchandise on Instagram.  She even tried to sell used items from a kiosk with her grandmother on the weekends.

Now, she landed a minimum wage job as a caregiver in an institution.  She wants to portray herself as a mentor, but that is a caregiver's uniform she is wearing. The real mentors are the social workers and psychologists on staff. 

Amy's not going to like working 40 hours a week, especially doing menial tasks.  Welcome to reality, Amy.       

You do make a good point, but a person can be a good mentor while working in an institution (even with the low pay and lousy benefits.) My husband works in a group home for the developmentally disabled (grave yard shift,) and I am sure he is a mentor to some of the clients. I also worked in a group home, but I had to quit due to back and neck problems. I was told the clients like me, I had a lot of potential, and the managers wanted me to move up into a manager type job, and learn as much as possible. I now hope I can do volunteer work or get a job working with others who have mental illnesses and work with law enforcement personnel and detention staff who work and deal with people with mental illnesses on a daily basis.

I am 58, and started going gray in my 30's.  My natural color is a dark blonde-kinda mousy, and the gray did not blend nicely with it, so I started coloring it.  About 10 years ago I decided to let it go natural, but after about a year I went back to coloring it.  There was enough natural color left to make the gray look a bit "yellow", and I just looked too washed out with my pale skin and green eyes. I used to do it myself for many years but now I have a friend who does it for me.  She gives me a strawberry blonde with lowlights and I am happy with the results.  

Grandma Duggar needs to go lighter and add some highlights, IMO.  Plus a cut would work wonders- her hair seems to be a bit thin, and the length just makes it look worse.

• Love 2

With her employment record, she's still found a job. And one that she finds meaningful, because it will be benficial to others. Even if she's just a caregiver, it's nice that she has such enthusiam for her job and positivity about trying to help people. 

• Love 12

Good for her.  Your job is what you make of it.  Whether Amy is a mentor or a caregiver, her attitude will get her a long way when things get rough.  Those facilities are not easy or kind places to work at times. Even if she is not an actual mentor, my experience has been that those changing bed pans, serving meals,and doing menial labor are the ones who connect with the residents the most because they are not being paid to “fix” or “analyze” them.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

It’s possible to be a mentoring caregiver.

Well, try to remember that this is Amy we are talking about.  Amy, who likes to throw tantrums, get her own way and has even assaulted her husband.  Amy will have specific tasks to do in exchange for her paycheck and is not going to have time to schmooze with the teenagers.  Amy is deluding herself into thinking that she is going to be the center of attention and some kind of idol/role model for the girls to look up to.  Those street-smart kids will not buy into Amy's opinion of herself. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Well, try to remember that this is Amy we are talking about.  Amy, who likes to throw tantrums, get her own way and has even assaulted her husband.  Amy will have specific tasks to do in exchange for her paycheck and is not going to have time to schmooze with the teenagers.  Amy is deluding herself into thinking that she is going to be the center of attention and some kind of idol/role model for the girls to look up to.  Those street-smart kids will not buy into Amy's opinion of herself. 

I was gonna say, yeah, I hope that Amy doesn't have some sort of impression of herself as Lady Bountiful, a la a neurotic frenemy of mine a few years back who felt so LED!!!11! to work with the deaf, and enrolled herself as a teaching student in a program for teachers of deaf students.  Turns out, surprisingly the deaf at her school were not bowled over at the very honor of her presence; and the girl in fact quit after the first semester, slinking back home never to elaborate upon her experience there.

• Love 2
On 8/15/2017 at 4:54 PM, ChaChaSlide said:

Sorry about that box.  Can't delete it.

Amy gets a point for actually landing a job.  Keeping it, well, time will tell.  She just *might* have matured enough to pay attention and try and keep it.  There are people who can do this.  Let's see about Amy. I like that she is heading in with what looks like a cleanly scrubbed face, no makeup.  She is a pretty young woman.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Mollie said:

Yeah, my first thought was "we'll see how long she lasts." 

• Love 4

For years Amy has (probably rightly) been derided as a do-nothing famewhore.  But she is finally showing some kind of intention to do honest work, so I'm not gonna knock her for it.  

She may well have overly-lofty visions of how she will be received or what she will be able to achieve (although I personally didn't get that impression from her post), but she would not be the first person entering such a field who might end up having to adjust her expectations. She's chosen a tough field. Certainly there were less emotionally demanding jobs she could have found. Frankly, I am impressed that she opted to find work in a field that is so challenging.  I think it means she may finally be taking life as an adult seriously. 

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

It’s possible to be a mentoring caregiver.

Thank you for saying this. People who are caregivers are usually the ones who spend the most time and have the most direct contact with a client. Their influence can be incredibly important. Amy seems to realize this and to be taking her job very seriously. Good for her. 

• Love 24
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, my first thought was "we'll see how long she lasts." 

Not everyone is meant to be doing the kind of work Amy will be doing, and she will find out very quickly if she is not right for the job. I hope if it turns out that if she is not suited to the work, she does move on quickly because that would not only be in her own best interest, but also best for the clients.  Clients do not benefit from contact with frustrated, bored, or unqualified counselors or caretakers.

There is no shame in admitting working with a given population doing certain tasks is not right for you, and I hope Amy only sticks with the job because it is a good fit and not out of fear of being criticized for quitting.

• Love 21

Hope everything works out in Amy's new job.

Why is she wearing scrubs though? Other than hospital employees and MD office nurses, the only folks I ever encounter wearing scrubs are Medical Assistants.

(edited)
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Hope everything works out in Amy's new job.

Why is she wearing scrubs though? Other than hospital employees and MD office nurses, the only folks I ever encounter wearing scrubs are Medical Assistants.

There’s a whole bunch of scrub wearing positions out there! Amy may be wearing scrubs in that picture, or, that is considered her uniform. Here, in the nursing homes and hospitals, just about every department has their own color uniform/scrubs. It’s a uniform if you work in the laundry, but scrubs if you are in OT, PT, or nursing. Same clothing.

What a ramble ?

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

There’s a whole bunch of scrub wearing positions out there! Amy may be wearing scrubs in that picture, or, that is considered her uniform. Here, in the nursing homes and hospitals, just about every department has their own color uniform/scrubs. It’s a uniform if you work in the laundry, but scrubs if you are in OT, PT, or nursing. Same clothing.

What a ramble ?

Right. I got the impression she is working in a group home. I work with clients of group homes and visit the homes every once in a while. Nary a scrub in sight.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Right. I got the impression she is working in a group home. I work with clients of group homes and visit the homes every once in a while. Nary a scrub in sight.

I know at some group homes staff wear scrubs by choice. At others, it is not acceptable because of the particular consumers (I can’t stand that term, but that’s the current one here)  in the home not relating well to those in scrubs.

I've seen places that do scrubs and some that don't, as well as those that differentiate colors to define job title.  I thought it just made it easier to figure out who did what when you needed help or had a question.  I'm glad she's trying.  She seems to be jumping in at the deep end of something she's never had any experience with - holding a real job with expectations, 12 hour shifts, helping other people, even if she's just starting and is doing the laundry.  She's trying.  Which is more than I can say for any of the other Duggars.  I wish her well and happiness and hope this works out for her.  Maybe it will inspire her to get her degree in social work or nursing.  Who knows?  I would love to see Boob's face if she made a success out of her life while he's stuck with Smugger and Derelick and Ben cleaning toilets.  

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I know at some group homes staff wear scrubs by choice. At others, it is not acceptable because of the particular consumers (I can’t stand that term, but that’s the current one here)  in the home not relating well to those in scrubs.

My daughter is a physical therapist and for years wore khakis and polo shirts.  But she got tired of it, and like the nursing staff she now wears scrubs and is very happy to do so.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Maybe we have different a definition of group home? In my neck of the woulds the homes are not medical so scrubs would be inappropriate. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, LittlePeas3 said:

Michelle looks ready to take her out with that "baton" that belongs to the violin,  I wonder how scared the child is?  

Josie's (?) got good natural pitch, credit where credit is due.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe we have different a definition of group home? In my neck of the woulds the homes are not medical so scrubs would be inappropriate. 

Where my husband works at would be considered group home apartments because there are four apartments with two clients in each one. I worked in a group home and a farm vocational program in the last group home I was employed at. We were told to wear nice comfortable clothes, but nothing tacky or offensive to the staff or clients. We had one girl wearing a low cut shirt. We tried to tell her to cover her up her chest because there were a few male clients who would hit on her because of the way she dressed, but she would not listen to us.

In the case of Amy, she may have been told to wear scrubs. Usually you have to wear clothing that would not provoke situations or problems with the clients you are suppose to be helping.

(edited)

Some childcare centers around here require the staff to wear scrubs.  Scrubs are generally for medical facilities but they also work for comfort and no frills type places.

In Amy’s case, the scrubs would probably be best because teenage girls in particular focus so much on fashion and are mean about it.  They’re mean to each other, they’re mean to adults, they’re mean to people in power.  I never felt self conscious about what I was wearing until I started working with middle school girls in an impoverished area. Suddenly I was stressing over outfits and what the girls would say about me.  I wish I’d had scrubs!  Amy’s facility may have recommended them for minimal distraction. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 12