Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I hope she has a 10lb baby mid Feb solely to see how Boob tries to spin it

"Jilly is so blessed by Jesus her babies grow extra large"

They could easily spin it that Jill had gestational diabetes, so the baby is large for its gestational age.  Either that or she must have gotten pg on the wedding night.

But I agree, it would be funny to watch them try to spin it :)

• Love 1

Last I heard Derick was doing an online MDiv in missions. Unless there is a way for paying for that I don't know about (and there could be) most online programs like that (while cheaper than on-site programs) are still pricey for a young family and that may take up a good bit of his evening time. Driving and meals may be the bulk of their time together if he's serious about his studies.

Oh, I can picture Jilly sitting right next to him while he's on the computer studying , gazing at him with her adoring eyes, possibly asking questions to disrupt him (not intentionally, just being annoying).

He obviously went through a hard time in college with his dad passing and he didn't have him around to ask about dating etc., but he likely has friends and has seen relationships before -- he really lacks self esteem to go along everything JB said pre marriage and to have Jill stuck by his side 24-7 now because he can't say no.

I wonder if he is "allowed' to go out with the guys ever? Could he even say to Jill -- a bunch of guys from college/work and I are going to hit happy hr on Thursday so I'll be 90 min late, or would he so fear upsetting his pregnant wife so much that he just wouldn't go?

Or he could just ask Jilly to drop him off at Happy Hour & come back in a couple of hours to pick him up.

I don't know all the acronyms -- but does your post mean that in order to do missions with IMB both husband and wife have to be educated or theologically trained? I don't imagine that both spouses need such training merely so one spouse can get an M. Div.?

Actually, yes. The International Mission Board invests thousands of dollars in each of their candidates that they appoint. Both husband and wife are expected to have a level of education and theological training. They are not only fully supported with housing, vehicle, food, and necessary supplies but both spouses are also paid a good salary. It is required that one spouse have their MDiv and the other have a minimum of education that I explained upthread. If both spouses have an MDiv their salary is further increased. However, even if both spouses meet the educational criteria there's no guarantee they'll be approved for appointment. The appointment process is very rigorous and takes approximately 2 years (which takes place while they're working on their education and at which time can be delayed if the board finds things in your marriage, physical and mental health, spiritual life, or family that is a red flag) before they're sent to headquarters in VA for further training which lasts about 6 months and is immediately done prior to appointment overseas. As a journeyman, Derick would not have been required to go through this process to this extent.

Edited by msblossom

I remember the Missions specialty required 9 extra hours of coursework not required in the regular MDiv program, so there's that. 

For anyone with an MDiv degree: Derick mentioned in a recent Instagram post that they are reading the Bible chronologically this year. Is this a requirement that the school would make, even though he began his studies last fall? I recall mention of him starting over the summer, which was what led me down the rabbit hole of Southwestern Baptist's website. I could see something like this being required for students early in their course of study, and if Jill also has to fulfill requirements, could see why they are taking this path of blble study this year. 

Am I making sense, or am I over-thinking this? 

I know a lot of people who start the new year reading through the bible and many do it through the chronological bible to get fresh take on their bible reading. It doesn't have anything to do with Derick's coursework though.

• Love 1

Are all the requirements above set forth by International Mission Board so that Derick and Jill are "qualified" to go on a mission? Or just so Derick can get an M.Div with IMB paying for some/all of it and providing housing.

Because what would happen if someone were single and wanted an M.Div or they had a spouse who was say -- a dentist and was not going to be studying theology and had no interest -- would they just not be able to get an M. Div or would they just not be able to get funding from IMB? I imagine you can get an M.Div from any university you want without them requiring your spouse to do anything, no?

Also -- who knows what Jill does all day but it does seem like she posts Bible study pics esp in the mornings; do we think that's just something she does or is she doing it because of M.Div/IMB requirements for Derick? I just feel like if she has education requirements to fulfill, she'd be able to fill her days better than she is doing now. I mean she probably drops Derick off by 9, gets home at 9:15 and needs to likely be out the door by 4:45 to get him at 5-ish. That's only 7.5 hours a day alone in which time she has to cook dinner for that night, maybe clean some, and should be studying if she has education requirements to fulfill due to Derick. And unlike most adults, she's way behind on education things -- she's not used to structured studying and has no degree, so I imagine that catch up is taking time.

Also -- who knows what Jill does all day but it does seem like she posts Bible study pics esp in the mornings; do we think that's just something she does or is she doing it because of M.Div/IMB requirements for Derick? I just feel like if she has education requirements to fulfill, she'd be able to fill her days better than she is doing now. I mean she probably drops Derick off by 9, gets home at 9:15 and needs to likely be out the door by 4:45 to get him at 5-ish. That's only 7.5 hours a day alone in which time she has to cook dinner for that night, maybe clean some, and should be studying if she has education requirements to fulfill due to Derick. And unlike most adults, she's way behind on education things -- she's not used to structured studying and has no degree, so I imagine that catch up is taking time.

Lunch. You're forgetting the lunch.

Another 1.5 hours out of the 7.5. Work in time for "making him a sandwich" reducing her "free time" to only 5.25 hours but in 2 blocks. and in that time there are the emails and texts, posting sexy sandwich pics to Instagram. How does she do it?

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 4

Jill tweeted a picture of herself working out while listening to a SERMON! FFS, must everything be about God/Jesus/Religion. These people are so brainwashed it's unreal. When I work out, I must have music... with a beat. Listening to a sermon would be the most boring, un-motivating thing to listen to.

• Love 5

Don't forget Jill has some of the howlers and lost boys visiting her and staying the night. I do not know how poor Derick would be able to study with her and the his younger in-laws in the house with him. How will they be able to travel overseas for missionary work if she keeps popping the kids out right and left. Imo, she loves the attention she is getting now from being pregnant. She also seems to have a little of the baby obsession her mother has. Derick needs to look at Josh to see the horror and panic on Josh's face when Anna announced she is pregnant with number four. He might end up in the same boat in a few years.

When I work out, I must have music... with a beat. Listening to a sermon would be the most boring, un-motivating thing to listen to.

Not to be disagreeable, but I often work out listening to lectures. It keeps my brain engaged in a way that works well for me & I feel like I'm exercising my brain at the same time as I am my body. Music has never been a motivator for me when I exercise. Sometimes I like it & want a beat & other times I can't stand it. However, I don't get on Twiter or Instagram & post my listening topic for the day so I'm probably doing it all wrong anyway.
  • Love 6

I don't know all the acronyms -- but does your post mean that in order to do missions with IMB both husband and wife have to be educated or theologically trained? I don't imagine that both spouses need such training merely so one spouse can get an M. Div.?

Isn't accounting and M. Div a strange combo of degrees? Do most people who get an M. Div do something totally different undergrad and pursue a totally different career first before the M. Div or do most people have an undergrad theology degree. Do we think Derick is going to leave Walmart at some point to pursue more religiously oriented work? Could he become a preacher/minister with an M. Div or does that require totally different training? If he could preach, doesn't JB have the money to start up a church with his son in law as the full time preacher (like that show on TLC)?

Anyone else find it mind blowing that Jill's baby daddy not only has a undergrad degree but is also working on a masters? I mean for a family that's so anti education, JB certainly saw the $ signs when a college educated boy came calling for his daughter. But then given Derick's college degree and his masters (which I imagine he started pursuing or was already applying for while in Nepal), I do find it a bit surprising that he fell for the Duggars. I mean he is obviously someone who believes in his faith for real -- not through coercion -- he probably believed in being a virgin before marriage, not going too far etc. So then he comes along to date Jill and is told -- sorry you can only Skype with her if Mama and Daddy are in the same room; you can only text with her if her parents and your mom are on the text; you are never to go anywhere alone; you are never to speak to each other on the phone alone; and forget the idea of kissing or hugging. Shouldn't he have been thinking -- I'm a Christian too, I would never go further than what my faith allows -- but if you have so little regard/trust of me, then maybe I don't need this!? He obviously went through a hard time in college with his dad passing and he didn't have him around to ask about dating etc., but he likely has friends and has seen relationships before -- he really lacks self esteem to go along everything JB said pre marriage and to have Jill stuck by his side 24-7 now because he can't say no.

I wonder if he is "allowed' to go out with the guys ever? Could he even say to Jill -- a bunch of guys from college/work and I are going to hit happy hr on Thursday so I'll be 90 min late, or would he so fear upsetting his pregnant wife so much that he just wouldn't go?

I know you weren't asking me, but since I also have an MDiv, I can say it is fairly common to have an undergraduate degree in another professional area. A couple of men who were in school with me had bachelor's in agribusiness, for example. They were going to be serving with The Heifer Project -- at that time they were in Central America. Many of us have undergraduate degrees in education or music. My undergrad was in American literature. 

I highly doubt that they will ever become serious missionaries. Now that they have a mansion, Jill is popping out kids and the money they make from famewhoring they aren't going to give up their cushy life no matter what anyone says. 

• Love 2

Can I just say that I hate Jill's instagram pictures, in which every photo she posts, she is raising her eyebrows? So fucking annoying. She constantly looks like someone pinched her butt right as her picture was taken.

I love how she was at the gym in some t-shirt with a giant bow on the front. I bet other gym goers were just shaking their heads as they sped by in their Nike/nike work out gear.

• Love 4

I'm impressed that Jill is at the gym. One, because it strikes me of being so mainstream/secular for her to go (maybe she's always worked out at the gym? However, this is the first I've heard about it). And two, because she's taking care of her body and wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Eh, if she wants to work out in her fundamental way, doesn't really matter. Good for her for getting out there.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 6

If Jill is indeed at a public gym working out I would bet dollars to doughnuts that she's at an all women's facility, like Curves or somewhere like that. I find it hard to believe that she would deem it appropriate to be in the same room with males who are "scantily clad". An all female facility wouldn't cause her to have desires that could not be righteously fulfilled.....at least I don't think they would, as she has never given herself one nanosecond of an opportunity to ask her self that question either.

I'm sure some prodding from derickdillard is responsible for the fact that she isn't working out at Che Duggar Gym where Joy was lifting, in total Duggar privacy. The jury is still out in my mind as to where derickdillard sits on the fundamentalist meter...he's puzzling to me. Don't know enough about his upbringing yet. They haven't said anything of substance about it so far that I have heard. Also, Jill needs to work out in appropriate fabrics and still looks like she needs a sports/support/maternity bra. That girl has "gallon sized" milk jugs and it isn't flattering.

• Love 2

I love how she was at the gym in some t-shirt with a giant bow on the front. I bet other gym goers were just shaking their heads as they sped by in their Nike/nike work out gear.

Well, what do you expect from a 16 year old girl who's been raise from birth to believe that her only value is to satisfy her religion, parents, and then husband (all who have been presented as The Word of God), and once she's done that she has to continue satisfying all those other demi-gods by popping out as many children as she can as quickly as she can?  That's some powerful programming to overcome.

I know that Jill is older chronologically than 16, but that's where her emotional age seems to have stopped.  She can thank her upbringing for that.  Derick was hoped to finish her upbringing, and many people hoped he'd do that by holding off on the childbearing and introducing her to the less seamier side of modern life.  If so, he should have approached their bed each night with a condom firmly placed on his manhood.  Jill was probably in the dark under the covers and wouldn't even have noticed, at least at first. 

I know a man whose wife was diagnosed with a chronic disease early in their marriage and he wore a condom for 10 years to prevent a pregnancy that would have been a health issue for her.  They waited a decade for them to have sex without a condom until the wife got to a point where her health was good enough to reliably support a pregnancy, and they eventually had a child that was very much wanted.  The child grew up with a very good home, education, and a lot of financial perks that kids of young parents probably wouldn't be able to provide.

Now for the downside of that story.  The man I just referenced has admitted outright that the thing that drew him to his wife wasn't her looks or intellect, it was that she was 'sweet' and raised to consider her husband to be the 'master' of the home.  This guy grew up with a father who was laid back to the point that he let his wife run the whole show.  The mother ran the whole show, she was driven to succeed even though she didn't graduate from high school because her own father left and she had to work as a cleaning woman to help support the family.  She worked long hours, handled all the finances, and everybody toed the line.  The man grew resentful of his overbearing mother and weak father, although he loved them both.  But he sought out a woman who would be submissive to him when he chose to marry.

Just wondering if Derick is cut from the same cloth.  YMMV.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 1

I'm impressed that Jill is at the gym. One, because it strikes me of being so mainstream/secular for her to go (maybe she's always worked out at the gym? However, this is the first I've heard about it). And two, because she's taking care of her body and wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Eh, if she wants to work out in her fundamental way, doesn't really matter. Good for her for getting out there.

I'm at the point where I think that Jill was at the gym for precisely as much time as it took for photo's to be taken, and then shuttled back home to pray to Gothard that she hadn't been tainted by her jaunt into the real world.  I hope I'm wrong, though.

• Love 4
Are all the requirements above set forth by International Mission Board so that Derick and Jill are "qualified" to go on a mission? Or just so Derick can get an M.Div with IMB paying for some/all of it and providing housing.

Because what would happen if someone were single and wanted an M.Div or they had a spouse who was say -- a dentist and was not going to be studying theology and had no interest -- would they just not be able to get an M. Div or would they just not be able to get funding from IMB? I imagine you can get an M.Div from any university you want without them requiring your spouse to do anything, no?

If I understand what you're asking, cereality, I don't think the SB IMB pays for them to get the M.Div.  The student does that on his/her own I assume (although there may be scholarships available through the organization.  I don't know). Not everyone who is getting an M.Div at one of their seminaries wants to be a missionary.  Most are probably training to be pastors.  But those who are wanting to apply for missionary service have to do the M.Div training and the spouse training.  The spouse training is required to be considered for missionary service, not for getting the M.Div itself.  And, yes, even if the spouse has another career or degree, he/she is still expected to do the additional theology/Bible training before being appointed as missionaries.  But then, very often if someone is wanting to be a missionary, he/she has a degree or career experience in a field that would be beneficial on the mission field, like medicine, education, agriculture, etc.

I'm not from the SBC, but the denomination I'm in has similar requirements.

• Love 1

Can I just say that I hate Jill's instagram pictures, in which every photo she posts, she is raising her eyebrows? So fucking annoying. She constantly looks like someone pinched her butt right as her picture was taken.

Michelle does the same thing...I suppose it's meant to signify a  childlike "wide-eyed wonder" at all of god's blessings or some such. At least, that's the vibe I get.

While there is a lot about Jill that grates me, it does seem like she and Derick have a plan. If we assume what they are saying is true, that he's getting his MDiv and she's doing the preparations required by IMB for the spouse, then that's a legitimate life plan. It's separate from JimBob and requires planning, goals and education. She might bug the crap out of me for being less mature than my 15 year old (heck she's probably less mature than my 11 year old) and the 'marriage and pregnancy is glorious' la-la approach is nauseating, but it does sound like they are working to build a life that will ultimately not depend on TLC, being a Duggar or hand-outs from JimBob.

• Love 5

Not to be disagreeable, but I often work out listening to lectures. It keeps my brain engaged in a way that works well for me & I feel like I'm exercising my brain at the same time as I am my body. Music has never been a motivator for me when I exercise. Sometimes I like it & want a beat & other times I can't stand it. However, I don't get on Twiter or Instagram & post my listening topic for the day so I'm probably doing it all wrong anyway.

More power to you, if that's what gets you moving. I guess my issue with Jill is that it shows how indoctrinated she is. I wonder if Derick listens to secular music? How do they avoid music when grocery shopping? Music is everything to me. To me, it is so sad that she can't enjoy something as simple as listening to a (secular) song on the radio.

• Love 6

I could be wrong, but from that Instagram gym shot it looks like the Walton Fitness center, which is a gym for Walmart employees & their families. I wonder is she used the pool there in her onesie modesty bathing suit.

And WTH is in the comments below about cathoics not being Christians? If Jill said that it is disgusting.

• Love 2

As far as listening to a Sermon, I think it's just personal preference. My mind is always boggled when I see people at the gym reading books or magazines while they're on the treadmill or elliptical, because I get dizzy and nauseous if I try to read while doing cardio. Not to mention there's a good likelihood I'll trip if I try to do two things at once.

Oh, good lord, she's at the "WalMart employee gym"? I'm sure derickdllard isn't far behind, and is only a few feet away from Jilly. How silly of me to think that maybe, just maybe, she stepped out in the real world for a few moments.

• Love 1

Michelle does the same thing...I suppose it's meant to signify a  childlike "wide-eyed wonder" at all of god's blessings or some such. At least, that's the vibe I get.

My thinking exactly - or....  Several years ago I saw a program on body language pn PBS and that wide-eyed look of wonder was mentioned as a strong indicator of lying. I can completely see Mechelle doing this all the time - she IS trying to hoodwink folks. I'm wondering what Jill is being false about in this photo. Maybe she really was there for the photo-op and then left?  Like mother, like daughter.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

I could be wrong, but from that Instagram gym shot it looks like the Walton Fitness center, which is a gym for Walmart employees & their families. I wonder is she used the pool there in her onesie modesty bathing suit.

And WTH is in the comments below about cathoics not being Christians? If Jill said that it is disgusting.

I was reading all those comments as well...sounded as though a real war was on the verge of erupting there. I don't know how instagram works, being a dinosaur when it comes to anything more newfangled than facebook, and couldn't figure out how too see any more comments other than those you could see by scrolling down the window, but it did appear that the argument had started prior to that, and was probably going to continue. I would hope that it was just some random fan who first brought it up, rather than Jill herself...though it's not as though I have a lot of respect and admiration for her to damage in the first place, so it could almost be interesting to see the repercussions if she DID. As an atheist, I have no pony in that race, but it can be fun to get the popcorn and watch the sides rail against each other.

• Love 1

True story - about fifteen years ago my mother took the tour of the George Washington Masonic National Memorial in Alexandria, VA, which has an extensive library.  According to the tour guide, the library was available to "Catholic and other non-Christian" researchers...  It's a thing with certain flavors of Christians to declare Catholics are not Christian.  I'm not Catholic, but I am a non-Protestant Christian, and I long ago decided that if I consider the source of any such comment, it would be easy to dismiss it as ignorant, stupid, and deliberately unintelligent.  

By the way, the library and archives are now being digitized, but I'm sure are still available to all researchers, Masonic or not.

• Love 1

It could easily be a church facility fitness center, who knows? I don't really care, I'm still impressed that she's getting out there doing something healthy for herself. It looks like she's walking laps on the 2nd or 3rd floor of a fitness center. I don't see Derick in the photo, even so, it's not unusual for couples to hit the gym together.

It could be that she's listening to a classroom lecture on MP3. I often did that as a student as a study tool.

I like to snark as much as the next person, but I don't find anything snark-worthy about going to the gym. I'll just wait until next season rolls around. See ya'll back here then. Bye.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 7

Can I just say I love this post? 

True story - about fifteen years ago my mother took the tour of the George Washington Masonic National Memorial in Alexandria, VA, which has an extensive library.  According to the tour guide, the library was available to "Catholic and other non-Christian" researchers...  It's a thing with certain flavors of Christians to declare Catholics are not Christian.  I'm not Catholic, but I am a non-Protestant Christian, and I long ago decided that if I consider the source of any such comment, it would be easy to dismiss it as ignorant, stupid, and deliberately unintelligent.  

By the way, the library and archives are now being digitized, but I'm sure are still available to all researchers, Masonic or not.

I know it is true some Protestants do not believe Catholics are Christian, but I will never be able to understand it. OK, I confess no one has attempted to explain it to me so it might be my own ignorance of their perspective. 

Derick was most likely at work at the time. I don’t why it’s a big deal if she’s at the Walmart gym? She’s probably just taking advantage of one of the benefits she gets from her husband being an employee at the company. Good for her. At least she’s out of the house and trying to stay healthy and active. I agree with the poster above - where's the snark in that?

As for the comments on her page about Catholics - from what I can garner some people were criticizing her for her endorsement of Rick Warren because apparently he supports Catholics as being Christians and I guess for the leghumpers that’s a huge no-no? I'm an agnostic/atheist so I have no idea why this is so important. Jill herself never said or responded to anything of that matter.

• Love 4

I know Rick Warren has said some controversial things, and I hated what he said about Terri Schiavo's husband at the time. Still, a lot of fairly mainstream Christians like Rick Warren and certainly The Purpose Driven Life touched a cord with many people. 

They have their issues and always will but it's nice to see a video on Derick's instagram of them at the Arkansas basketball game -- with music playing in the background as guys warm up on the court. I realize he's pretty conservative/fundie himself, but just the fact that he's used to getting out there and doing stuff is already opening Jill's mind -- even if it's just 0.00005% that it's fine to go out and experience the secular world and you won't be corrupted by seeing guys in shorts or enjoying music at a public event. Even better that they took Justin with them. I believe JB and Michelle will continue to lose control as they get older and the show winds down and the "attention" of having 19 kids continues to wear off; I think the younger kids already have and will continue to have way more freedom than the older ones. It's good that kids Justin's age get to go to a college campus once in a while -- who knows -- maybe in a decade they'll decide college/college classes are ok for them and Ma and Pa Duggar won't have the energy or desire to fight them as hard.

• Love 4

When bananas are on sale I usually buy a few bunches and freeze them for smoothies. Both Jill and Jessa seem to have taken to healthy eating, judging by the posts on their Instagrams. They're probably trying to rid their bodies of two decades worth of processed carbs and preservatives.

• Love 6

When bananas are on sale I usually buy a few bunches and freeze them for smoothies. Both Jill and Jessa seem to have taken to healthy eating, judging by the posts on their Instagrams. They're probably trying to rid their bodies of two decades worth of processed carbs and preservatives.

It's also possible that the husbands grew up eating healthier and "demand" it to some extent. I can see this being true of Derick -- he grew up in a 4 person family where both parents had good middle/upper middle class jobs. I imagine they had fruits and vegetables at every meal and weren't just relying on processed foods with the occasional can of Aldi carrots thrown in. Early on the in the marriage, she posted some pic of making Derick's favorite dish which was something like stuffed squash. Also when he took her on that hiking date, he brought along foods like hummus, dates/figs, goat cheese etc. And she has said he misses Nepali fare -- which if it's anything like Indian is probably pretty heavy on veggies. So now that she has to cook for him, she can't just make meals consisting of mushroom soup and tater tots. But she isn't going to make separate meals, so now that she's eating his food -- she's probably realizing that foods like bananas, chickpeas, and squash are good and good for you; it's possible that she even feels a bit better not living on an all processed food diet and likely wants to eat that stuff bc it's good for Baby Dilly too. Yet another way in which living with Derick has opened her mind just a little bit.

• Love 4

Although I would not wear it, I don't think the "giant bow" is that bad. I was envisioning a large Christmas style bow LOL.

I was more distracted by the fact that the shirt was made of stretchy material, had a v-neck, and there was no additional layer underneath. Wow.

It actually looked like an old hanging-around beaten-up t-shirt that happened to fit. Geez, what am I saying ????....  that describes every Duggar shirt .

• Love 2

Maybe Derick sought JB out as part of his missionary work. A mission to bring that family slightly back from their completely misguided lifestyle. In some small way Deeick wanted to help put the brakes on the evangelical influences creeping into mainstream America and the increasing Duggar influence on pop culture is one obvious area of concern. His strategy included marriage to a Duggar girl but he's slowly accomplishing his goal, one sporting event and unprocessed meal at a time.

Go Derick. Let them see the light. It's a mission. Who's going in next?

• Love 4

Just saw this at FJ.  Jill in pants and covered shoes no less.  Of course she's with Derick which doesn't surprise me but little steps like some posters above have said.

a5c368f98b3d4957b0ae.jpg

Edited by abseedee

She looks normal when she's not mugging for the camera.  I wonder why she's not working out as well.  Did the person who posted the pic say if she was picking Derick up after his workout of if she just stood there the whole time waiting for him?  Since she's wearing a coat she might have just arrived to pick him up.

She looks normal when she's not mugging for the camera.  I wonder why she's not working out as well.  Did the person who posted the pic say if she was picking Derick up after his workout of if she just stood there the whole time waiting for him?  Since she's wearing a coat she might have just arrived to pick him up.

No explanation from the poster.  Only that she/he in short, is pleased that JIll is actually wearing pants..