Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

I've never been to Olive Garden, even a "nice" one (tm JRod,) or a Carrrabba's.  I couldn't tell you without googling where the nearest of either exists. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
can't spell the name of a stupid chain that I've never herad of before now
46 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I'm sorry, but how many baby showers do the two of them need for baby number two? What about working in order to supply things for your children or does this make too much sense? Sorry, I am in cranky mood because my neck and upper back muscles are not too happy with the strength exercises the other day in physical therapy. Maybe I need to pray the evilness out of my body and start reading the bible and try to save others in order to get rid of the pain and stiffness.

I don't know...all that praying and being bff's with Jesus apparently wasn't enough to cure Michelle's missing back muscle. Maybe that sort of thing is not in his jurisdiction.

• Love 3

Why do they need a second baby shower?  They are having a another boy.  They don't have any hand me down clothes/items from the giant white baby to use for the next blessing?

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

Found this gem scrolling through the Derick's old posts. What the heck happened to this guy?? He seemed so sure he was gonna be permanent at Walmart and have a career there. He was never the same after his surgery. I'm convinced something fishy happened to him, it's almost as if he got some Duggar DNA injected intohis brain.Screenshot_20170623-155747-1026x1801.thumb.jpg.9ca595b60bb04a192f25e1edd05a6c86.jpg

Oh look, Jerick used to get a paycheck! Now, don't forget to donate, guys. DONATE!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, SMama said:

Why use the word pounding?  It's borderline obscene, you'd think fundies would object.

I don't think the fundy's that are into the Pearl's " To Train Up The Child" would object.

• Love 2

If I remember correctly, the church women gave Jill a "pounding" before her wedding.  A pounding is a sort of housewarming/shower where the bride is given things for her pantry, ie: a pound of sugar, a pound of flour, etc.  I'm guessing that the "pounding" term is loosely used as a gifting, so a diaper pounding sort of makes sense.  They way these folks like to "joke" around, I'm surprised that they don't do charivaris--where people show up at the newlywed's house during the night and pound pans and make noise to "welcome" them to their new house.  But I think the newlyweds are supposed to invite the noisemakers in and give them food and drink, so I guess this custom would not fly with this bunch.

• Love 3
(edited)
26 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

If I remember correctly, the church women gave Jill a "pounding" before her wedding.  A pounding is a sort of housewarming/shower where the bride is given things for her pantry, ie: a pound of sugar, a pound of flour, etc.  I'm guessing that the "pounding" term is loosely used as a gifting, so a diaper pounding sort of makes sense.  They way these folks like to "joke" around, I'm surprised that they don't do charivaris--where people show up at the newlywed's house during the night and pound pans and make noise to "welcome" them to their new house.  But I think the newlyweds are supposed to invite the noisemakers in and give them food and drink, so I guess this custom would not fly with this bunch.

Aha! So this sounds like some sort of legit cultural thing, I never heard of. It would make sense back in the old days to give women (or in reality the couple) a pound of flour, a pound of sugar etc. Now people ask for a pound of allergy medicine (which makes some sense, it's expensive and some people really need it.)

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Catfin said:

Part of the reason is their grasp of language is so poor they miss puns and double entendres. They have limited cultural literacy, so no point of reference. Well, that and the enormous stick up their collective asses. 

And I also don't think humor is generally allowed by the Head Fundies In Charge. Humor is hugely suspect. Not only do the fundie powers that be not get it, they know dimly at least that it can be a tool of criticism and rebellion. And they're only too happy to decide that what might be stealth and implied criticism of and rebellion against them could easily become ciriticism of and rebellion against God. So -- presto -- there's a reason to shut it down. And ... Verboten!     Of the devil. ..... Just try being humorous in any authoritarian setting. Doesn't fly. 

Aside from being too dim and ill educated to have any ability at it, I'm sure the Duggarlings have mostly grown up in a situation where humor put you on the hellbound train. So -- they're probably kind of scared of it. As well as not getting it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't know...all that praying and being bff's with Jesus apparently wasn't enough to cure Michelle's missing back muscle. Maybe that sort of thing is not in his jurisdiction.

Maybe she accidentally prayed away the muscle instead of some pain.

It seems D**ick has forgotten about valuing people since working at Walmart, or perhaps he doesn't see his son as a person. Free Izzy. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ariel said:

Derick describes Walmart as a company " with such a culture and value for people"  He really is a dumb rube.

Seriously!  That is either extreme irony (ha, derick!) or purposeful ignorance!  

Love seeing tons of wine as the backdrop for their shower!  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't know the derivation of "pounding" (I think Alyssa Bates defined it, but I wasn't really paying attention). That said, the term has been around for years. 

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1830-2008-playroom/830232-diaper-pounding.html

Around here in Eastern NC, there used to be something called "pounding the preacher." The congregation would give the new preacher a pound of nonpersishable food. I don't know if churches still do it. 

As for a sense of humor, I agree the Duggars don't have it, but the Bates can be funny. Fundies can do clean humor. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I just laughed way too much but it was needed. I forgot all about the giving a pound of whatever to newlyweds. Not that the Dullards needed it, but they are always ready to grab what they don't need.

Edited by SMama
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

That's why they call it a "sprinkle." Or Alyssa Bates Webster's diaper pounding. The ideas are simlar. 

Because I have an immature brain of a 12 year old-I think I'd rather be pounded than sprinkled. Off to the prayer closet.

• Love 19
11 hours ago, Catfin said:

Part of the reason is their grasp of language is so poor they miss puns and double entendres. They have limited cultural literacy, so no point of reference. Well, that and the enormous stick up their collective asses. 

8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

And I also don't think humor is generally allowed by the Head Fundies In Charge. Humor is hugely suspect. Not only do the fundie powers that be not get it, they know dimly at least that it can be a tool of criticism and rebellion. And they're only too happy to decide that what might be stealth and implied criticism of and rebellion against them could easily become ciriticism of and rebellion against God. So -- presto -- there's a reason to shut it down. And ... Verboten!     Of the devil. ..... Just try being humorous in any authoritarian setting. Doesn't fly. 

Aside from being too dim and ill educated to have any ability at it, I'm sure the Duggarlings have mostly grown up in a situation where humor put you on the hellbound train. So -- they're probably kind of scared of it. As well as not getting it. 

7 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Around here in Eastern NC, there used to be something called "pounding the preacher." The congregation would give the new preacher a pound of nonpersishable food. I don't know if churches still do it. 

As for a sense of humor, I agree the Duggars don't have it, but the Bates can be funny. Fundies can do clean humor. 

The fundies who find it permissible to be funny are the fundies who have smarts, so this isn't surprising to me.  Fundies who don't have brains, give the po'face around humor because they never know when the "humor" is "someone making fun of me".  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Maybe she accidentally prayed away the muscle instead of some pain.

It seems D**ick has forgotten about valuing people since working at Walmart, or perhaps he doesn't see his son as a person. Free Izzy. 

I'd bet she prayed for the missing back muscle.

"Father God, I just pray that you'll give me a great excuse for not doing any of the hard work around here.... While still being healthy enough for the occasional water ski outing."

9 hours ago, SMama said:

I just laughed way to much but it was needed. I forgot all about the giving a pound of whatever to newlyweds. Not that the Dullards needed but they are always ready to grab what they don't need.

Time-honored Duggar tradition.     Grift whatever you can and save the difference. 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

That's why they call it a "sprinkle." Or Alyssa Bates Webster's diaper pounding. The ideas are simlar. 

10 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Thank goodness a diaper pounding isn't what I imagined.

I'm just picturing the big mallet we have to flatten meat, plus a bunch of nasty full diapers. . . Then Michelle would REALLY have a room to not clean!

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I've never been to Olive Garden, even a "nice" one (tm JRod,) or a Carrrabba's.  I couldn't tell you without googling where the nearest of either exists. 

My husband went to a Carabba's last week on a business trip. He actually liked it. 

Olive Garden must be raking in the big bucks if they can comp a group that size. One has to wonder if they have any idea about the Duggar "hate watch" phenomenon and how this may adversely affect their business as a result.

19 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I went to Bible college when dinosaurs roamed the earth. The campus library had a subscription to the Wittenburg Door, a Christian satire magazine which has since gone out of business. The only heathens reading the library's copy were my roommate (Evangelical Free, thank you very much) and me.  It's possible to get back issues if you are interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wittenburg_Door

Let's just say I bet nobody in the Duggar household or Bill Gothard himself had a subscription when they were in their heyday; the writers did not hold back on the biting satire against the church and those who richly deserved it.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

I went to Bible college when dinosaurs roamed the earth. The campus library had a subscription to the Wittenburg Door, a Christian satire magazine which has since gone out of business. The only heathens reading the library's copy were my roommate (Evangelical Free, thank you very much) and me.  It's possible to get back issues if you are interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wittenburg_Door

Let's just say I bet nobody in the Duggar household or Bill Gothard himself had a subscription when they were in their heyday; the writers did not hold back on the biting satire against the church and those who richly deserved it.

I wonder if we went to the same Bible college! Mine also had a Wittenberg door, and many evangelical free students! 

On 6/23/2017 at 3:16 PM, GeeGolly said:

Was it Jill's idea to hire the giant clown on stilts for Amy's birthday? For Amy, who claims a fear of clowns?

Ugh, I don't remember that, but that is such a classic Duggar "joke," and I'm sure Jill was all over it. 

• Love 1

I don't care much for Amy, but I felt very badly for her with that clown joke at her birthday. That was a cruel thing to do to anyone. Someone's fears should never be 'played with'. So UNCHRISTIAN of the Duggars, they should go to confession and confess that.

• Love 11
17 hours ago, Caracoa1 said:

I wonder how Jill feels knowing that even if she does have a successful home birth that it wont be a big deal because Jessa already did it...twice.  

I wouldn't call Jessa's first "successful" and who really knows about her second.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I don't care much for Amy, but I felt very badly for her with that clown joke at her birthday. That was a cruel thing to do to anyone. Someone's fears should never be 'played with'. So UNCHRISTIAN of the Duggars, they should go to confession and confess that.

Whenever the Duggars do jokes, they are cruel & mean spirited.  Didn't one of the boys want to put dead fish & some other smelly crap in one of the couple's cars right after their wedding ceremony?

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, ariel said:

Whenever the Duggars do jokes, they are cruel & mean spirited.  Didn't one of the boys want to put dead fish & some other smelly crap in one of the couple's cars right after their wedding ceremony?

JD did that to either Zach Bates or Erin and Chad Paine. Chad had decoy get away car though so he and Erin wouldn't have to deal with the "hilarious" prank.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, ariel said:

I had a problem with that behavior, since one of the tenets of Christianity is respect for the rights and property of others.  

• Love 17
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Triple P said:

JD did that to either Zach Bates or Erin and Chad Paine. Chad had decoy get away car though so he and Erin wouldn't have to deal with the "hilarious" prank.

If the vandalized car was a rental car, they were also screwing over the rental company.  Someone is stuck cleaning up after their "prank" & I doubt is was one of the Duggars.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Dead fish in cars, trying to run over cats with sleds, the clown story...to anyone else, these are the actions of a truly messed-up person - a sociopath, even.  The fact that the Duggars collectively not only find this kind of behavior funny but also "normal" is actually moderately terrifying, IMO.  

I guess the above shenanigans are all well and good as long as everyone is chaperoned and no one is front-hugging or showing any knee.

Priorities, folks.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Amy is not afraid of clowns.  She's a professional martyr.  She would like everyone to feel sorry for her because of her father's 'abuse' and her husband's 'abuse' and her mistreatment as a misfit among the Duggar 19.  Boo hoo hoo.

I don't understand this family's sense of humor nor those like them...I also find Michelle's on-camera hilarious laugh as quite fake and overdone. She overacts for the camera to let us know FOR SURE that she's having such a great time and IS SO HAPPY about everything.  "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much."

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Dead fish in cars, trying to run over cats with sleds, the clown story...to anyone else, these are the actions of a truly messed-up person - a sociopath, even.  The fact that the Duggars collectively not only find this kind of behavior funny but also "normal" is actually moderately terrifying, IMO.  

What I find scary is that these are the "pranks" we know of.  Who knows what other shit went down that we don't know about?  I also find it weird is that they proudly posted to the internet these pranks that most of us heathens would be embarrassed by.

ETA -  The Duggars can't  even blame their stupidly on too much alcohol.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

I don't understand this family's sense of humor nor those like them...I also find Michelle's on-camera hilarious laugh as quite fake and overdone. She overacts for the camera to let us know FOR SURE that she's having such a great time and IS SO HAPPY about everything.  "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much."

If her voice rises just a bit more from her current screech, humans won't be able to hear her. :)

• Love 11