Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, awaken said:

They are really milking this Oregon trip for all the content they can squeeze out of it. 

There was a recent discussion here speculating if Derick passed the bar, and what if any financial cushion they had.

If Derick failed the bar exam and their financial cushion is at its limit, they are smart monetizing their vacation.  I can see Derick being confident at passing the bar, it’s what he’s done his entire life, go to school and pass exams. He probably thought he was going to sail into practicing after their rather expensive vacation (for a student and SAHM).Ten days on the road doesn’t come cheap.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, SMama said:

There was a recent discussion here speculating if Derick passed the bar, and what if any financial cushion they had.

If Derick failed the bar exam and their financial cushion is at its limit, they are smart monetizing their vacation.  I can see Derick being confident at passing the bar, it’s what he’s done his entire life, go to school and pass exams. He probably thought he was going to sail into practicing after their rather expensive vacation (for a student and SAHM).Ten days on the road doesn’t come cheap.

Continuing to post about Oregon is also a distraction from the bar exam questions without making them seem completely radio silent since he seems to have either failed the exam or opted to not take it after prepping for it. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Part 3 Oregon trip:

I have no interest in watching any of these, but did she really film enough to have a short video for each day? So Jill is basically now the TLC crew, following around her own family.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

Well, I have watched two of them.  If we didn't know the back story, they seem adorable and a nice family.  They are giving those boys some nice experiences.  Of course we only see what is being filmed, so don't know if there is any contention behind the scenes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I have no interest in watching any of these, but did she really film enough to have a short video for each day? So Jill is basically now the TLC crew, following around her own family.

She's weirdly the most honest about her messed up upbringing, and the biggest pusher of her lifestyle.

Please, just delete the social media, Jill. Stay off for five years. Please. You'll never do it.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

She's weirdly the most honest about her messed up upbringing, and the biggest pusher of her lifestyle.

Please, just delete the social media, Jill. Stay off for five years. Please. You'll never do it.

What did she say about her childhood was messed up?

They only 'negative' thing I can recall Jill saying is JB put limits on her access to the TTH. But that is in adulthood. She also mentioned learning about and using boundaries, but it all seemed related to the fallout with JB.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Considering Jill was always the most enthusiastic to be on camera, this is a natural next step for her.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Considering Jill was always the most enthusiastic to be on camera, this is a natural next step for her.

Pervert and Anna were equally (if not more) enthusiastic about getting their sanctimonious mugs on camera. 

• Love 5

They're still posting about the Oregon trip? That dead horse has been beaten to a pulp, Jill. Give it a rest. 

Eta: that snark wasn't directed at you, ginger90. I appreciate you and others who go through the trouble of posting the Duggars' YouTube content. I'm laughing at Jill's lack of creativity.  Just wanted to make that clear 🤗

Edited by BitterApple
  • LOL 7
  • Love 9
Just now, Absolom said:

She'll distract us from the bar results as much as possible.

She should just come clean and admit he didn’t pass it. Very common and there’s absolutely no shame in that. But maybe he doesn’t want to announce it to millions of strangers. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

She should just come clean and admit he didn’t pass it. Very common and there’s absolutely no shame in that. But maybe he doesn’t want to announce it to millions of strangers. 

In which case, perhaps they shouldn't have announced he was going to take it to millions of strangers.  If they hadn't told us, we wouldn't know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

In which case, perhaps they shouldn't have announced he was going to take it to millions of strangers.  If they hadn't told us, we wouldn't know.

Right. She probably didn’t think that through!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Maybe she thought we would forget if she didn’t mention it. Jill, have you met the internet?!

• LOL 8

From the videos I have watched they are staying at hotels. Continental breakfasts really help with food cost, but the motel they are staying at Seaside (by the beach) does not offer CB.

They brought a very small cooler, big mistake. We usually bring a good size cooler with cold cuts, fruit, hummus, pico de gallo, milk and juice, cheeses, etc. SGirl usually asks for tuna salad to snack on crackers. Most places we stay have complimentary hot breakfast, we use the cooler for lunch. And splurge on dinner. I know, we are cheap. But when we go on a road trip. whether it’s 3 or 10 days we do a lot of activities (very few free), not just drive 10 hours a day. 

Edited by SMama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Didn't Derick do an IG ad for study materials too?

Yes, he did.

21 minutes ago, SMama said:

know, we are cheap. But when we travel whether it’s 3 or 10 days we do a lot of activities (very few free), not just drive 10 hours a day. 

You're not cheap, you just know what it's like to travel with a hungry kid when you cannot find a suitable restaurant.  I don't have kids, but I also carry along snacks and drinks on long car trips in case I don't have the time or interest to sit down for a big meal or I'm someplace where there aren't good options for food.  I take a little cooler that has a pouch for non-refrigerated stuff and fill it with peanut butter crackers, pretzels, fruit, yogurt, etc as well as some water so that I can have a quick meal or snack as needed.

Maybe because the Duggars didn't have the money to do long car trips when Jill was small and then, once the TLC train came into the station, the network took care of feeding them;  she never learned about how regular people travel, especially with families.

Heck, my father would've stayed home rather than buy us kids snacks at the movies or amusement parks.  We would all pile in the car to go to the drive in and my father would take a brown paper grocery bag and fill it with home popped popcorn for us to munch on.  He'd take a gallon milk jug, wash it out and fill it with Koolaid and we were ready to go.  We always pulled a wagon with a huge cooler filled with stuff into the amusement park or at the beach. 

Whenever we'd ask for stuff from the snack bar, we'd always get the same answer, " No way, those guys are such thieves, they should wear masks and carry guns."

Edited by Rootbeer
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11

Jill travelled with her family on long road trips a couple times a year. They'd go to Big Sandy, the Bates' home and other Fundy events.

The Dillards didn't pack any snacks? And how many hours a day were they in the car?

• Love 3

@Rootbeer I just love your dad’s approach. Let me tell you that bringing that cooler has worked well. SGirl is the type of kid that you ask 20 times if she needs to use the restroom or is hungry. We explain there are no food or restrooms for however long. Then 10 miles in she is hungry AND must use the restroom. We also carry TP for that reason. Thankfully we have never had to deal with a hungry, screaming child on the road. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill travelled with her family on long road trips a couple times a year. They'd go to Big Sandy, the Bates' home and other Fundy events.

The Dillards didn't pack any snacks? And how many hours a day were they in the car?

They did pack snacks but the cooler they brought was so small they had to make multiple stops to replenish. I was also surprised at how many stops they made for fast food. I hope the cost of this road trip makes Derick think long and hard about how will they afford such fun with a litter of kids. 

They cracked me up when they stopped for gas in Oregon and had no idea it’s not self serve. We usually research where we are going. The attendant came out but Derick still pumped his gas. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I stopped by to check in and see what’s new with the Dillard’s and they’re still going on about this Oregon trip? What, were they gone for the first weeks or something? Yeesh! 

They were gone for 10 days and are posting each day separately.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I know I am late to the yearbook conversation, but allow me to share a little different perspective. My daughters graduated from the largest high school in the state. They each had a graduating class of more than 900 kids. As you can imagine, there were hundreds of kids in their classes they didn’t even know—and they were “involved” kids. 

The yearbooks were big and expensive. Senior pages not only helped defray the cost but they gave seniors a chance to have some fun photos of themselves in a yearbook of 3600+ kids. It is a nice opportunity to make the yearbook more personal and meaningful. 

ETA: I don’t think it’s self-centered or unusual that Derick has a senior spotlight in his high school yearbook.

Edited by Lukeysboat
Added thought about DD.
  • Useful 4
  • Love 10

It probably wasn’t Jill’s jurisdiction to plan food for the Duggar road trips. Plus weren’t they usually in that huge bus or an RV? Plus a van with a trailer full of stuff.  I have a vague memory of a trip where the vehicle broke down about 5 miles from home and Boob’s dad had to come help. Good times. So my guess is Jill has no idea how to pack a car for a family of 4 for a long car ride. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

It probably wasn’t Jill’s jurisdiction to plan food for the Duggar road trips. Plus weren’t they usually in that huge bus or an RV? Plus a van with a trailer full of stuff.  I have a vague memory of a trip where the vehicle broke down about 5 miles from home and Boob’s dad had to come help. Good times. So my guess is Jill has no idea how to pack a car for a family of 4 for a long car ride. 

Wasn't that the same trip where they brought along several huge glass jars of pickles as snacks?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, SMama said:

They cracked me up when they stopped for gas in Oregon and had no idea it’s not self serve. We usually research where we are going. The attendant came out but Derick still pumped his gas. 

I'm shocked the attendant allowed Derick to pump his own gas. I occasionally drive through Oregon and sometimes I automatically start to get out of the car just out of habit. The attendant always stops me and asks me to get back in the car.

Not to get political but I wonder if current events have made the attendants back off when people want to pump their own gas?

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Triple P said:

I'm shocked the attendant allowed Derick to pump his own gas. I occasionally drive through Oregon and sometimes I automatically start to get out of the car just out of habit. The attendant always stops me and asks me to get back in the car.

Not to get political but I wonder if current events have made the attendants back off when people want to pump their own gas?

Derick asked Jill to Google it and at least had the decency to go inside and apologize to the clerk. I agree with you that the current violent incidents may be why she allowed him to pump his gas. 

That being said if I was in the same situation I would have ask if I was doing something wrong. I was not impressed by Derick making fun of Oregon as a backwards place, and Jill of all people mocking them as well. The hicks from the armpits of Arkansas ridiculing others for not “living in the 21st century” pissed me off.

This is aimed only at Jill and Derick, not the fine folks from Arkansas.

We lived in Northern California for ten years an hour away from the Oregon border. We would go there frequently and always had someone pump our gas. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I’m just impressed that you can get full service gas anywhere in America. I honestly had no idea this was still a thing! And I’ve driven all the way to Chicago and Maryland. I haven’t seen a full service station in South Louisiana since the late ‘80’s. I guess in that respect I can’t trash Derrick for not knowing or thinking to ask.  If you live somewhere where full service went the way of the dinosaurs when you were young, or long before your time, it wouldn’t occur to you to ask.  People from Oregon may not expect to have to pump their own gas in other places either. 

• Love 17

I haven't watched the last couple of installments of the Oregon trip, but from what I did see, I think Jill did have snacks and activities for the boys. It seemed to me that they had a very nice vacation, doing things they enjoy. I don't think we needed to see so much of it though!

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m just impressed that you can get full service gas anywhere in America. I honestly had no idea this was still a thing! And I’ve driven all the way to Chicago and Maryland. I haven’t seen a full service station in South Louisiana since the late ‘80’s

There's a full-service station where I live. My brother used to work there, and it's usually where I fill up. I don't know of any others locally, but they're still around, not just in states where you can't pump your own gas. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Zella said:

There's a full-service station where I live. My brother used to work there, and it's usually where I fill up. I don't know of any others locally, but they're still around, not just in states where you can't pump your own gas. 

I wish we still had them. That would be really nice in these ridiculously hot summers (which in South Louisiana is from April to October.)

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m just impressed that you can get full service gas anywhere in America. I honestly had no idea this was still a thing! And I’ve driven all the way to Chicago and Maryland. I haven’t seen a full service station in South Louisiana since the late ‘80’s. I guess in that respect I can’t trash Derrick for not knowing or thinking to ask.  If you live somewhere where full service went the way of the dinosaurs when you were young, or long before your time, it wouldn’t occur to you to ask.  People from Oregon may not expect to have to pump their own gas in other places either. 

I believe self pumping gas isn’t allowed in New Jersey either. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3