Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Hmm so I assumed Jill was posting 7000 YouTube videos of the same trip bc $$$. I have no interest in watching them but clicked on a bunch to see how many views she's getting, it was 31k (day 1); 14k (around day 3); 8k (around day 5). Per a google search, most "regular" (not super famous) people make $3-5 per 1000 views of a YT video -- so these brought in $155, $70; $40 (I know there's days I left out, wasn't about to check each one). So looks like around ~$265 off of these and probably another ~265 off of the ones I didn't check = $530. If Jilly's Youtube is paying the bills right now, I would be STRESSED if I were Derek. Don't get me wrong - $500 will buy food for a month (prob more bc I'm sure she knows how to stretch) or pay the utilities, but a family of 4 just needs more than that.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if he is working on the DL. We've seen him drive for Grubhub before, he could be doing that; or legit working anyplace in retail or restaurants since they are all hiring everywhere and paying like 40k/yr ($15-20/hr) often with a few hundred or even a thousand in a signing bonus. And IDK if Arkansas does this but often if students fail the bar/can't get a job, schools will cook up a job at the law school for said graduate -- it's hourly and it's not more than 10-20 hrs/wk of research for a professor but it helps law schools keep their employability stats up so they don't have to report in Vault/US News Ranking that a large % of students were unemployed at graduation and it allows the grad to keep searching for a real job and have something law related to discuss in the interviews and not say they're sorting boxes at FedEx; you can work your survival job for $$$ but leave it off the law resume. But yeah those aren't career jobs and the school holds onto you for no more than 12 mos (bc then those jobs go to next yr's grads who need to appear employed even if they aren't for real).

• Useful 8
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m just impressed that you can get full service gas anywhere in America. I honestly had no idea this was still a thing! And I’ve driven all the way to Chicago and Maryland. I haven’t seen a full service station in South Louisiana since the late ‘80’s. I guess in that respect I can’t trash Derrick for not knowing or thinking to ask.  If you live somewhere where full service went the way of the dinosaurs when you were young, or long before your time, it wouldn’t occur to you to ask.  People from Oregon may not expect to have to pump their own gas in other places either. 

Neither did I. I heard stories about it from my dad because his father owned a gas station but I've never seen one in my lifetime.  

• Love 2

I would LOVE to be able to go to a full service gas station! I wish they would bring them back so I could at least have the option of choosing full service or self serve. (It also would mean more jobs.)

I’m pretty sure the attendants are used to people from out of state doing the same thing Derrick did.  

• Love 13
On 9/24/2021 at 7:43 AM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m just impressed that you can get full service gas anywhere in America. I honestly had no idea this was still a thing! And I’ve driven all the way to Chicago and Maryland. I haven’t seen a full service station in South Louisiana since the late ‘80’s. I guess in that respect I can’t trash Derrick for not knowing or thinking to ask.  If you live somewhere where full service went the way of the dinosaurs when you were young, or long before your time, it wouldn’t occur to you to ask.  People from Oregon may not expect to have to pump their own gas in other places either. 

There have been several times I've been up in Washington and sat in my car at a station for a bit before it dawned on me, and I always feel so stupid!

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Oregon isn't what I would call full-service, either. The attendant pumps your gas, period. They don't check your oil or your tires' air pressure, or wash your windows. I grew up in Oregon and these were services offered at the full-service stations where gas was more expensive than the other stations. Given you still have to get out to run your card, I'm not sure why they're still forbidding self-service.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

Oregon isn't what I would call full-service, either. The attendant pumps your gas, period. They don't check your oil or your tires' air pressure, or wash your windows. I grew up in Oregon and these were services offered at the full-service stations where gas was more expensive than the other stations. Given you still have to get out to run your card, I'm not sure why they're still forbidding self-service.

It also depends on the attendants. Even though I never ask, a few times a year someone will do it while they're waiting for the pump to finish and/or there's only one or two cars. Just had it happen last week and my windows really needed it! I cannot recall, however, ever having my oil or tire pressure checked. I rarely ever have to get out to run my card unless I go to a combo convenience store/gas station and have to go pay inside and even then the majority don't require me to do that. With rain or high heat, I'm glad to be able to just stay in my car!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

There have been several times I've been up in Washington and sat in my car at a station for a bit before it dawned on me, and I always feel so stupid!

I'm from NJ and I do this every time I'm driving in another state. 

I consider myself a practical, no-fuss type, but just the idea of NJ taking away full service gas stations full me with dread. 

• Love 6

It's interesting to me that for all his grandstanding about TLC and Jim Bob, Derick still has no qualms about cashing in on it when it suits him. It's one of many reasons I have a hard time viewing him as quite the hapless victim he tries to depict himself as. 

I really do think the only reason he wasn't on the show was because he was fired, not because he took some sort of ethical stand. The rest is his face-saving narrative. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 23
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

It's interesting to me that for all his grandstanding about TLC and Jim Bob, Derick still has no qualms about cashing in on it when it suits him. It's one of many reasons I have a hard time viewing him as quite the hapless victim he tries to depict himself as. 

I really do think the only reason he wasn't on the show was because he was fired, not because he took some sort of ethical stand. The rest is his face-saving narrative. 

I agree. But I give him credit for getting money out of JB. ETA I don't idolize him for that but it is a good thing he did however messy it was. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 19
8 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I agree. But I give him credit for getting money out of JB. ETA I don't idolize him for that but it is a good thing he did however messy it was. 

I don't have a problem with them getting money out of it either. I do have a problem with Derick acting like he's a martyr akin to Jesus on the cross and changing his story repeatedly. Just own it, Derick! 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 21

With regards to the settlement, I think Derick and Jill got way more than he let on. I know he claimed it broke down to "minimum wage," but I'm not buying it. There's no way his side gigs have supported a family of four for the past 3-4 years. The Dillards don't live lavishly, but they certainly don't appear to be lacking for anything either. I think making it seem like they were shortchanged is just another chapter in Derick's martyrdom narrative. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 19
Just now, BitterApple said:

With regards to the settlement, I think Derick and Jill got way more than he let on. I know he claimed it broke down to "minimum wage," but I'm not buying it. There's no way his side gigs have supported a family of four for the past 3-4 years. The Dillards don't live lavishly, but they certainly don't appear to be lacking for anything either. I think making it seem like they were shortchanged is just another chapter in Derick's martyrdom narrative. 

Move over Foxe's Book of Martyrs! 😁

• LOL 11
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I believe Derick called out TLC and Jazz, long after he had left the show.

Yeah, it all sounded like sour grapes, not like it was some principled stand on Derick's part. If that had been the case 1) Derick would have talked it up because that's a HUGE thing in fundie circles right now (Christians are persecuted for their beliefs and Derick was fired for taking a stand against something immoral) and 2) TLC would have done a few laps talking up how they had been forced to stand on principle and protect their talent, etc. etc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I also don't think Derick lies -- exactly -- and I think he takes pride in that.

I think he produces specific words in a specific order that aren't exactly "lies," but aren't really the truth, either. His speech/writing is intended to obfuscate rather than clarify, and it's intentional. I think the law if probably the right place for him.

• Love 21
5 hours ago, Zella said:

I don't have a problem with them getting money out of it either. I do have a problem with Derick acting like he's a martyr akin to Jesus on the cross and changing his story repeatedly. Just own it, Derick! 

This hits at the core of why the "moving on" narrative surrounding Jill and Derick irks me so much. Because the break was over money (and good for the!). And when Derick and Jill saw how much positive attention they got over that, saw the assumptions people were making about what the break was about, they got really intentional with their comments and buzzwords and "likes." They are capitalizing on all the incorrect assumptions the Duggar haters are making while not having changed the things that make the Duggars so hateful. I still shake my head in amazement thinking about the positive response they got over that video where they claimed they're totally not anti-trans and would call a trans person by their preferred pronouns IF THEY WERE AT A TRANS PERSON'S HOUSE. 

Good for them for being better at talking out of both sides of their mouths than Jeremy and Jinger, I guess, but damn, people are credulous.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, lascuba said:

This hits at the core of why the "moving on" narrative surrounding Jill and Derick irks me so much. Because the break was over money (and good for the!). And when Derick and Jill saw how much positive attention they got over that, saw the assumptions people were making about what the break was about, they got really intentional with their comments and buzzwords and "likes." They are capitalizing on all the incorrect assumptions the Duggar haters are making while not having changed the things that make the Duggars so hateful. I still shake my head in amazement thinking about the positive response they got over that video where they claimed they're totally not anti-trans and would call a trans person by their preferred pronouns IF THEY WERE AT A TRANS PERSON'S HOUSE. 

Good for them for being better at talking out of both sides of their mouths than Jeremy and Jinger, I guess, but damn, people are credulous.

I agree. If not for the whole financial thing, Jill and Derick would be front and center at the TTH. Even with the financial thing, they'd be front and center at the TTH, if JB would allow it. 

JB and Derick are both assholes and Jill's been caught in the middle.

• Love 12

I think its great that Izzy attends public school. It offers him many things his cousins won't likely experience, but that's not the be all, end all.

Derick went to public school, but if I'm correct, Ben's sister, the divorced cop, was home-schooled. Michelle went to public school. JB went to a private Christian school. Anna's rich sister was home-schooled. Cathy, Derick's bat-shit crazy mother went to public school. I believe Jeremy and his siblings were both homeschooled and attended public school. It seems the three of them couldn't be more different.

IMO, those boys are going to need more than public school to overcome having Derick and Jill as their parents.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

I, personally, don't think that Derick was ever "fired" because I don't think that he was ever "hired." It could just be an issue of semantics, but I just don't buy it.

I agree with your whole post 100 percent.

13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

With regards to the settlement, I think Derick and Jill got way more than he let on. I know he claimed it broke down to "minimum wage," but I'm not buying it.

Jill was on the shows from 2008 to 2020. Minimum wage for that amount of time is a large amount, when it all comes at once.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Perhaps, but Izzy and Sam will likely wind up being able to read and write and do math at a higher level and be exposed to a lot more of the world (science, history, other kids not in the cult, etc) than their cousins will.  I also think that Derrick will get at least one (if not both) into college so they can be third-generation Pistol Petes.  And that's something.

• Love 22
14 hours ago, lascuba said:

I agree.  My suggestion for the renaming of this topic was something along the lines of "new look, same hateful package" because their beliefs are still the same even if Jill is now wearing shorts.  Leaving aside the Josh situation, it appears that the break between the Duggar Seniors and the Dillards was a control issue.  Derick resented JB being in control.  

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Fosca said:

Perhaps, but Izzy and Sam will likely wind up being able to read and write and do math at a higher level and be exposed to a lot more of the world (science, history, other kids not in the cult, etc) than their cousins will.  I also think that Derrick will get at least one (if not both) into college so they can be third-generation Pistol Petes.  And that's something.

Yes, I agree.    Izzy and Sam will have more opportunities for success as adults.  With an education many more things are possible..  They COULD become doctors or judges or engineers.  No homeschooled Duggar had this chance.  But an education certainly doesn't guarantee that they will become more open minded.  They can be educated and still have hateful beliefs.  But I do have the most hope for them, and that is something.

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree.  My suggestion for the renaming of this topic was something along the lines of "new look, same hateful package" because their beliefs are still the same even if Jill is now wearing shorts.  Leaving aside the Josh situation, it appears that the break between the Duggar Seniors and the Dillards was a control issue.  Derick resented JB being in control.  

My idea was something like "Bigots in Pants!" But the one I really wanted but kept to myself was "The FanFic Thread."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

My idea was something like "Bigots in Pants!" But the one I really wanted but kept to myself was "The FanFic Thread."

I do think that Jill has made some pretty big strides in regards to her dealing with her traumas, but the needle on her bigoted beliefs has not changed.  

TBH, I prefer my bigots to dress outlandishly so it's easier to clock them.  When they wear pants and other normal clothes, I have to actually speak with them to determine the level of crazy that I am dealing with.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 12
On 9/25/2021 at 8:26 AM, floridamom said:

So this was a "working vacation" for the Dillards. I'm sorry they just couldn't take a vacation and enjoy it. If it were me, I would not have had a good time always having to "film".

Ehh, most people are taking pics on their vacation anyway.    People used to bring cameras to take home movies that they would invite the neighbors over to watch (after a few cocktails the neighbors didn't mind sitting through them).   So its not a HUGE difference than what would have happened anyway.    

My husband and I like to travel.   I've started posting the pics to Patreon just to see if we can get anything.   We are still going to travel and posting them doesn't affect the enjoyment at all.   

• Love 7
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think its great that Izzy attends public school. It offers him many things his cousins won't likely experience, but that's not the be all, end all.

Derick went to public school, but if I'm correct, Ben's sister, the divorced cop, was home-schooled. Michelle went to public school. JB went to a private Christian school. Anna's rich sister was home-schooled. Cathy, Derick's bat-shit crazy mother went to public school. I believe Jeremy and his siblings were both homeschooled and attended public school. It seems the three of them couldn't be more different.

Public school might guarantee that they receive more useful educations, but it absolutely doesn't mean that they will have different beliefs than the ones they are being raised with.

8 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Jill was on the shows from 2008 to 2020. Minimum wage for that amount of time is a large amount, when it all comes at once.

Saying she was paid minimum wage is meaningless unless we know what hours are counted.  Is it 24/7, 40 hour weeks, 3 or 4 hours filming per day or something else?

4 hours ago, lascuba said:

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of homophobes and racists went to public schools. Schooling is almost as meaningless as wearing pants as a predictor of anything meaningful. 

Exactly!

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree.  My suggestion for the renaming of this topic was something along the lines of "new look, same hateful package" because their beliefs are still the same even if Jill is now wearing shorts.

32 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do think that Jill has made some pretty big strides in regards to her dealing with her traumas, but the needle on her bigoted beliefs has not changed.  

Jill and Derick get so much unearned credit for their superficial changes.  Jill dresses differently and Israel goes to public school, but there is nothing to indicate that they have made any changes in their hateful beliefs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

If you add it up for 12 years, they would've gotten something like $180,000, presuming they received minimum wage for 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.  I think that it would've meant they were fairly easily able to survive while Derick went to law school.

I'm presuming that Derick didn't count the actual hours spent filming but was basing it on a typical full time job.

I agree with everyone here that the changes Jill and Derick have made are almost completely cosmetic and we give them more credit than is due.  You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

TBH, I prefer my bigots to dress outlandishly so it's easier to clock them.  When they wear pants and other normal clothes, I have to actually speak with them to determine the level of crazy that I am dealing with.  

Exactly. I like my wolves dressed as wolves. On a purely pragmatic level, I can respect the dishonesty involved in changing the physical markings of their beliefs without actually changing those beliefs, because, hey, get that money, right? But it really bums me out how many people are offended by honesty of bigoted beliefs, and not the beliefs themselves.

1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Well cameos are some $. Wonder who’d pay? Not me.

Oh, a think a good amount of people will under the guise of "encouraging" her to be less fundie.

How much do those cameos run? It's been a while since I've donated to anything in a Duggar's name.  Think I'll donate to an abortion charity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

My point was, it could be more than we think.

Knowing Derick, he said "minimum wage" to make people think they got a lot less than they did.

This isn't an argument for how much Jill should or shouldn't have gotten, but if it was minimum wage based on hours filmed, then it can't possible be enough to by a house and pay for law school and support the family  for this long with no income but doordash and a few hundred from youtube. The family wasn't filmed 24/7 all year. At most it was a few weeks a year for the footage that was shown over and over again + special occasions.

• Love 8
On 9/25/2021 at 4:25 AM, andromeda331 said:

Neither did I. I heard stories about it from my dad because his father owned a gas station but I've never seen one in my lifetime.  

I live in Mass. and there are very few full-serve stations; but they do exist.  The place where my mechanic works has a full-service station and usually the prices are very comparable with self-serve (i do use mostly self-serve.. you don't get anything extra with full serve..lol)

• Love 4

I'm amused by the conversation about states that don't allow people to pump their own gas.  I've lived in Oregon since before I learned to drive, and I've never pumped my own gas.  Every time I go out of state and I go to a gas station, I ask the attendant or another customer to show me how to do it.  I think I could probably work it out, but once people find out I've never pumped my own gas before, they seem reluctant to be the one to "break the streak".  

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Valerie said:

Mima rocking the pants too! 

The boys look so happy and content. So much more genuine than the other broods.

Cathy was never in one of those fundie cults. She's AFAIK a mainstream Southern Baptist. She held a corporate job and then started her own consulting biz with a partner. AFAIK she never adopted some weird fundie cult dress code, so seeing her casually dressed like that is NBD.

In recent years she's spouted some hardcore religious stuff on social media that many found offensive - but that doesn't mean she's not still a Southern Baptist. Plenty of bigots and misogynists in mainstream American life and religion. You don't have to look only in IFB cults like the Duggar/IBLP world to find them.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 22
On 9/26/2021 at 1:27 AM, lascuba said:

I consider myself a practical, no-fuss type, but just the idea of NJ taking away full service gas stations full me with dread. 

Same, although I do enjoy pumping my own on the rare occasion I’m out of state and need gas.  

I forgot to quote the post but whoever said that Derek was mad that JB was in control. I think he should be mad. Derek and Jill are grown adults w/a family. They should be making their own decisions. 

• Love 7

Derick is kind of out of options if this lawyer path doesn't work. I suppose God could put it in his heart to do missionary work again, but they are settled with a house and Iz in school. 

Is the next bar in January? Because so far he doesn't seem to be hitting the books to study.

On another note, Derick's mom Cathy is a dressed up, toned down version of JillR. In addition to trying to rescue Derick and his hateful IG posts, she posts her own hateful posts. She's big on religious books and has many that are written for kids too. From the looks of her IG, she appears to have at least one foot exploring Fundyland.

• Love 8