Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I know I can't hope to cook to Jill's standards, but here's my recipe for (Poor Broke College Student) Spicy Corn Chowder: 1 can plain label, food bank tomato soup, 1 can plain label, food bank creamed corn, 1 can spicy tomato sauce, 1 soup can of water. Dump it all in a microwavable bowl, zap it for 2 minutes, stir everything together, and zap it for another 2 minutes. You can add grated cheese if you have any. Serve with whatever bread, salad, and fruit you got from the food bank. Feeds 2-3 people, depending on appetite and food issues.

• Love 20
5 hours ago, PinkyCupcake said:

LOL! You people are killing me this morning ???

Thanks for the laughs :D

I know, right? This place is the best for a quick pick-me-up ;)

You know, what's sad is that Jessa has been on the show saying that Jill and (I think) Jana were the ones who did the most cooking in the household, and she gushed about how great they were at it, and how they could "throw a little of this in and a little of that and make it taste delicious" (paraphrased). From her statement it would sound like Jill is adding herbs and spices and adjusting to taste, but have we seen *anything* other than packaged ingredients and, at most, salt and pepper? Are those organic spices they all like to collect and arrange in a pretty line in their kitchens for decoration purposes only?

Judging from what we've seen on the show, it would seem that spices (in addition to the obvious fresh foods) are a foreign concept to them--remember that episode where Jessa and Jana cooked something and forgot to add *any* seasoning whatsoever? At least in their case, they laughed about it. But Jill doesn't seem to have any sense of self-reflection or humor at all. It's one thing to recognize your failings, but to post them for all the world to see and expect to be lauded for them as if they are great achievements? Barf.

• Love 13

The Duggar Facebook has this one today:

Orange Snowman 

June 13, 2018

Ingredients:

1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

14 cubes ice

Directions:

In a blender, combine orange juice concentrate, milk, water, sugar, vanilla, and ice. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

1 minute ago, Natalie68 said:

Ok, this one was stolen from Allrecipes https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/32447/orange-snowman/

FFS Jill!  You changed nothing, not even the name.  Maybe you could have added 12 ice cubes, not 14.  Maybe you could have added less sugar.  SOMETHING!  From here on out, I am googling her recipes name and all.

This could be from Jill but it wasn’t on her blog, it was on the Duggar blog linked from the Duggar Facebook ?

• Love 3

I think the "little of this, little of that" is adding a can of French Onion soup to the prepared packaged gravy or a can of tuna fish or canned chicken to boxed macaroni & cheese, maybe a 2-liter bottle of Sprite to the Kool-aide. More sugar, salt, and carbs to enhance their already sugar, salt, and carb-laden meals.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I really, really want to forward Jill's chicken optional sodium bomb chicken and noodle recipe to Chefs Anne Burrell and Tyler Florence and see if they would put Jill on Worst Cooks in America.

Do it , she wants to be back on TV so badly .

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

The Duggar Facebook has this one today:

Orange Snowman 

June 13, 2018

Ingredients:

1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

14 cubes ice

Directions:

In a blender, combine orange juice concentrate, milk, water, sugar, vanilla, and ice. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

I don't know but orange snowman sounds like someone with kidney issues peed on snow and then proceeded to build a snow man with the result .

• Love 9
On 6/12/2018 at 12:38 PM, MrsClaus said:

I saw this on Facebook and it reminded me of Dillweed and his missions.

This is hilarious. I follow him and his videos are quite funny and MOST accurate. It’s like he KNOWS Derrick personally. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

This is hilarious. I follow him and his videos are quite funny and MOST accurate. It’s like he KNOWS Derrick personally. 

Ok this guy is freaking hilarious!  What is his handle?

9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

He doesn't sound like Derick, but he sure looks like him too.

52 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Ok I MAY have tweeted the link to their blog to Allrecipes.  I even checked their blog to see if they attributed it to Allrecipes and they did not.  It chaps my behind that they post this stuff and do not give the authors/creators their due.  It is lazy, grifty, and all things I expect from a Duggar.

Tweet the Duggar Family fb page as well, since this plagiarized recipe appeared there. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Ok I MAY have tweeted the link to their blog to Allrecipes.  I even checked their blog to see if they attributed it to Allrecipes and they did not.  It chaps my behind that they post this stuff and do not give the authors/creators their due.  It is lazy, grifty, and all things I expect from a Duggar.

It's not just about giving credit to the copyright holder; it's about getting prior PERMISSION from the copyright holder to republish their work.  Copyright infringement is a criminal offense.  "According to the U.S. Department of Justice, first-time copyright infringement cases can carry a fine of up to $250,000 and up to five years in prison."

• Love 7

Why go to the trouble of baking bread (not that I necessarily believe that) and then serve it with a bowl of salty canned broth and soggy noodles? Spend the time making a simple but decent main dish and buy some good bread. Jill's future as a lifestyle blogger gets shakier by the minute, but then what life experience does she really bring to the role? How many people really want or need recipes that try to feed 40 people on $20?

• Love 12
On June 12, 2018 at 3:08 AM, ginger90 said:

Easy Chicken and Noodles

Jun 11, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

This quick recipe feeds a crowd. We usually ate it with homemade bread and a big salad and fruit for dessert.

Serves 18

8 cans cream of chicken condensed soup

10 T. Mexican chicken boullion

17 C. water

1 onion, chopped (or 1 T. onion powder)

4-5 bags egg noodles

chunks of chicken (cooked), optional

pepper to taste

Bring to a boil the soup, boullion, water and onion. Boil 5 min. Add noodles and chicken. Cook until noodles are ready. Add pepper to pot or at table.

4D55C19C-4AD4-4D53-8447-B84E21D7BE9E.jpeg

So for everyone wondering about this dish I did some math - shocking, I know.

The recommended daily allowance of sodium for an adult runs around 2,300 mg a day.

1 can of cream of condensed chicken soup has ------2, 175 mg of sodium in it. Multiply that by 8 and you get 20,400 mg of sodium.

Now the recipe calls for 10 T ( that would mean Tablespoons) of Mexican chicken bouillon, which I do have in the pantry.  1 teaspoon of that is 870 mg of sodium.  That means 30 teaspoons ( 3 teaspoons in a Tablespoon) would be 26,100 mg of sodium.  Add that together and you get 46,500 mg.  Divide by a rough 2,000 - to make my life easier since I'm doing it with a white board and you get enough sodium for 23 adults for an entire DAY!  I cannot imagine what these kids blood pressure was like, and also why Boob hasn't dropped dead of a heart attack years ago.

• Love 21
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This is an old recipe I've handed down to my kids. I believe it came from my grandmother's neighbor, I think they called her Pilly and her last name was Bury.

Turn on the oven, dump some spoonfuls of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet and cook them for about 10 minutes or so.

When they're cooled, we eat them!!

img_0944.jpg

I hope you scrunch them first!  

• Love 22

Another crossover idea: show Jill’s recipes to the “My 600 lb life” folks-not the actual food, just the printed recipes. They are instantly cured of food addiction as it is so unappetizing and Dr Now gets to retire. 

• Love 9
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This is an old recipe I've handed down to my kids. I believe it came from my grandmother's neighbor, I think they called her Pilly and her last name was Bury.

Turn on the oven, dump some spoonfuls of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet and cook them for about 10 minutes or so.

When they're cooled, we eat them!!

img_0944.jpg

You mean the instructions aren't "Open container.  Insert Spoon.  Eat Contents of Container" ?   Damn, I've been doing it wrong!

There are so many thoughts about Jill's recipe attempts but I think her lack of cooking knowledge and lack of social media knowledge collide perfectly at the Chicken & Noodles recipe with chicken listed as "Optional".  So....Noodles?  No thought to correct the recipe or the name, no thought to make it pretty or make it sound appealing.  No thought to make it healthier with at minimum the addition of carrots, spinach, chopped peppers, something (which should have appealed to her as it also stretches the recipe to serve more).  I think she has a copy/paste addiction.

• Love 23
15 hours ago, Mollie said:

It's not just about giving credit to the copyright holder; it's about getting prior PERMISSION from the copyright holder to republish their work.  Copyright infringement is a criminal offense.  "According to the U.S. Department of Justice, first-time copyright infringement cases can carry a fine of up to $250,000 and up to five years in prison."

CRAZY!  What bugs me is they know about this stuff since all their own pics have the property of Duggar watermark on it (or whatever it says).  We know they have done it on the Dillards blog, they are doing it on the Duggar blog, who knows where else.  THIEVES I tell ya!  They all suck.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Tweet the Duggar Family fb page as well, since this plagiarized recipe appeared there. 

I took your advice and did this last night and included Allrecipe in that tweet as well.  You know they know better

16 hours ago, Lunera said:

Didn't Jessa serve chili Fritos at her wedding rehearsal?

She did!  It was an interesting choice to eat the night before they would finally be nekkid together.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, graefin said:

Has anyone mentioned Jill's use of "Mexican" bouillon yet? I assume she means Goya brand, which was actually founded by people from Spain. 

I think it's the jumbo Costco jar of Knorr Chicken Bouillon with Spanish/English labeling.

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I think it's the jumbo Costco jar of Knorr Chicken Bouillon with Spanish/English labeling.

This is what I thought too.  At my Walmart, the Spanish labeled Knorr Chicken Bouillon is in the "Mexican" aisle and it is cheaper than the same sized English labeled Knorr in the soup aisle.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Candy Cane said:

This is what I thought too.  At my Walmart, the Spanish labeled Knorr Chicken Bouillon is in the "Mexican" aisle and it is cheaper than the same sized English labeled Knorr in the soup aisle.

Interesting.  I don't often shop at Walmart, and the price difference between the two is odd, if it's the same amount of product.

I'll have to check that out next time I shop there.  I don't use that much bouillon, but I thought the cubes were more convenient.  It's just mind-boggling to me, the amount of sodium in that noodle dish!  I have high blood pressure, and try to watch my sodium intake.

The Duggars insist on permission to use their shit, but don't bother to return the favor.  I don't get that.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Candy Cane said:

Yes it's the same for me at my local grocery.  I buy it in the ethnic aisle, along with soy sauce and it's definitely cheaper.  Go figure.

• Love 3
On 6/13/2018 at 5:14 PM, BradandJanet said:

Why go to the trouble of baking bread (not that I necessarily believe that) and then serve it with a bowl of salty canned broth and soggy noodles? Spend the time making a simple but decent main dish and buy some good bread. Jill's future as a lifestyle blogger gets shakier by the minute, but then what life experience does she really bring to the role? How many people really want or need recipes that try to feed 40 people on $20?

All those Quiverfull wives with 8-16 kids whose husbands work for themselves or make poverty-level wages.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Nysha said:

All those Quiverfull wives with 8-16 kids whose husbands work for themselves or make poverty-level wages.

I wonder how many of them actually have time to spend reading lame-ass lifestyle blogs. Unless they get lucky like Mullet, they might not have older daughters to raise the kids, clean the house, do the laundry, "teach" the children, and cook the food. Or have sycophants to work alongside the daughter-slaves. 

• Love 7
On 6/13/2018 at 1:32 PM, DragonFaerie said:

I really, really want to forward Jill's chicken optional sodium bomb chicken and noodle recipe to Chefs Anne Burrell and Tyler Florence and see if they would put Jill on Worst Cooks in America.

Jill would never go on Worst Cooks in America because listen closely because I'm whispering Anne Burrell is a lesbian. 

• Love 12
31 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

What’s the recipe of the day? 

Mine making pork chops with apples for dinner.

I have a recipe like that, first I cook the chops, then I take them out of the pan and cook the sliced apples with nutmeg/cinnamon and pecans. Put the chops back in and yum! I might make that this week. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Jill would never go on Worst Cooks in America because listen closely because I'm whispering Anne Burrell is a lesbian. 

I HATE the Food Network - GBBO has spoiled me - but I would legit watch that. 

• Love 6
(edited)
30 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I've got this one. Put pork chops in pan. Turn on stove and cook. Take out when turning black. Open a can of Comstock apple pie filling (in the baking section).  Dump on meat. Salt like crazy. Serve. Steal photo of nice looking dish to post on blog. Brag. 

Given that whenever I see reference to canned apple pie filling, my mind goes directly to Aunt Sandra's Kwanzaa cake, that may not be such a stretch...

30 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I've got this one. Put pork chops in pan. Turn on stove and cook. Take out when turning black. Open a can of Comstock apple pie filling (in the baking section).  Dump on meat. Salt like crazy. Serve. Steal photo of nice looking dish to post on blog. Brag. 

Given that whenever I see reference to canned apple pie filling, my mind goes directly to Aunt Sandra's Kwanzaa cake, that may not be such a stretch...

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
sorry - my reply showed up in a quote box and I can't seem to get rid of it
  • Love 6