Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Oooookaaaay.  This has been REAL fun and all, but maybe let's stop micro-analyzing every single detail of the birth, especially the things that we just don't know about.  That becomes wild speculation and eventually devolves into everyone just sharing their own birth stories.  Which is never as much fun for everyone else as it is for you.  Sorry, but it's true. 

So can we try to only talk about actual things we know that have happened, that they have done, etc or things that happen on upcoming episodes?  Oh and things they say in the media are fair game.  But just debating different types of births and birthing complications and the merits of birth plans is really off topic.

In fact, if you don't have something to say that hasn't been said several times already by someone, then maybe take a break from posting for a while. Get off the computer and go outside. Shoo!

• Love 12

This is my point exactly. The television show has hurt them in the long term, I think, rather than help them. If by long term you are talking about good marriages from what would have once been their point of view. Jim Bob and Michelle, of course, have made a bundle.

I don't think they're popular in their fundie circle. They sold their souls to tlc. The only ones who want in the Duggar pony show are desperate fans. I mean I saw some fans posting stuff on their fan page telling them they can hook up Jana or one of the other kids with a Duggar.

I think Jill has basically finished her studies.  She said she plans to take the examination in a few months.  If she does and passes and has completed the other minimum state requirements, then she'll get her license.  

When did she say this? I ask because on their blog, she wrote that she doesn't plan on continuing her studies, or practicing midwifery, as long as she has little kids. This was just a few weeks ago when the blog went live, so I think it's her current POV. 

Just wanted to comment that I really hate the nickname Izzy for a boy! In my mind Izzy is a nickname for Isabel. JMHO

Rael has kind of a nice sound to it. Reminds me of Raul. I absolutely hate Dilly. Something in the way Derick said it at the ultrasound made me stabby. It's an irrational dislike, I know.

• Love 2

Alyssa said that she wanted to wait a few weeks before the whole family met her baby.  Bringing Up Bates, she said that she and her husband wanted the bonding time with the baby first before the huge influx of people.  They were ok with Gil and Kelly coming down but wanted to have the rest of the family meet the baby in stages.

It's really in stark contrast to Jill and Derick. I wonder why he was in town?  

• Love 3

Just wanted to comment that I really hate the nickname Izzy for a boy! In my mind Izzy is a nickname for Isabel. JMHO

I completely agree. I think. Izzy for a girl named Isabel is cute. For a boy it's awful. I have to admit if my last name was Dill or something similar Id have a tough time not calling the baby - gherkin. (Nickname obviously) Edited by 3girlsforus

Good question (Lawson's reason for being in AR). But that said, "meeting [Allie Jane] in stages" could also mean "fellowshipping" with Lawson and whatever sibling was his accountability partner on this trip (usually Carlin). That's just two. 

I'm just flummoxed that they met the Leader of Siblings before their own flesh and blood. And Jill, what is it with the 10 day old in those shoes when you can't be bothered to wear them yourself? kthxbai! :D

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5

Good question (Lawson's reason for being in AR). But that said, "meeting [Allie Jane] in stages" could also mean "fellowshipping" with Lawson and whatever sibling was his accountability partner on this trip (usually Carlin). That's just two. 

I'm just flummoxed that they met the Leader of Siblings before their own flesh and blood. And Jill, what is it with the 10 day old in those shoes when you can't be bothered to wear them yourself? kthxbai! :D

I agree it is weird that he would see the Dillards before his own sister. It sounds like Alyssa was pretty firm on her plan that she laid out on Bringing Up Bates. One of the Bates girls said that John and Alyssa couldn't keep her away from her niece, we'll probably see next season. From the looks of it, it seems like something her husband wanted.

Maybe Joseph, Lawson, and Tori went to meet Israel together. I want to know more about what's going on with Joseph. 

Ha, at Israel managing to wear shoes and yet Jill can't seem to put them on her own feet.

• Love 1

Tori is also at Clown College (at least she was in the fall). It's way late for Spring Break, but too late to be the end of the semester. If Joe came home, I wager he's missing some classes tomorrow, and probably missed some today; JD did not fly to/from TN today (or anytime in recent history). Lawson's buddy on trips always seems to be Carlin, so I'm going with that until we see something different. :)

I was hoping that Lawson was serving as accountability partner for Tori and Joseph (John David didn't cross my mind). I guess that the Bates and Duggar families really are friends. 

I hope that Jill and Derick are only hosting close friends for short visits rather than anyone coming into town. The baby is less than two weeks old. I really hope that they don't have to accommodate any out-of-town visitors so close to the baby's arrival. I can't remember how many bedrooms the house has.  I could see Jim Bob and Michelle still extending the house to guests traveling through.

Edited by Lilytiger
Why is that cute, full of personality, likable Lawson visiting this cluster f..k  of a family?

He IS cute, isn't he. The Bateses are a nice-looking bunch.

Can we fantasize that he's there because he's courting Jinger?

• Love 5

Alyssa was pretty adamant about not wanting hordes of visitors right after Allie was born. I'm not reading too much into Lawson being at the Duggars versus flying down to Florida. He may have just wanted to get out of town for a few days.

Alyssa was pretty adamant about not wanting hordes of visitors right after Allie was born.

I don't think Alyssa misses that circus at ALL.

Read the "Jill's birth experience" story in People last night. Derick's Invisalign was in full view, and Jill looked very, very pretty. Too bad the People stylists weren't around on her wedding day. 

• Love 3
Read the "Jill's birth experience" story in People last night. Derick's Invisalign was in full view, and Jill looked very, very pretty. Too bad the People stylists weren't around on her wedding day. 

Those look like standard braces (I could see the brackets). But I agree that Jill's hair looked the best it's looked in about a year.

• Love 2

When did she say this? I ask because on their blog, she wrote that she doesn't plan on continuing her studies, or practicing midwifery, as long as she has little kids. This was just a few weeks ago when the blog went live, so I think it's her current POV. 

Jill made the comment about taking the exam in either an instagram post or a recent People interview.  She did say or imply that she wouldn't be an active, practicing midwife.  I guess I should have made a copy.  I do remember people talking about it because she specifically mentioned that she might teach and people found that humorous.  How can you teach when all you have done is become newly licensed?  

I found one People article that mentioned taking the exam.  It isn't the one I read that also mentioned teaching, but apparently right before Izzy she was still planning to take the exam.  

Edited by Absolom

So have we really heard ANYTHING about little Israel?  That he sleeps a lot, or he is very alert, or he has a big appetite, likes to be held?  

Nothing.  It's all about Jill and her trauma.  

MeChelle.2 has arrived. Yep it's going to be all about Jill's pain and suffering. 

Poor boo-boo RickJamesBitch everyday he looks more like Boob. And NO I will not call him by his given name because I truly hate it.

• Love 1

Israel is a cutie!

I'm sure Alyssa isn't bothered by the fact that Lawson went to see baby Israel. She looks like she just barely tolerates her siblings when they visit and she already said that her husband wanted at least a month alone with their new baby girl before her siblings could come visit.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

Jill made the comment about taking the exam in either an instagram post or a recent People interview.  She did say or imply that she wouldn't be an active, practicing midwife.  I guess I should have made a copy.  I do remember people talking about it because she specifically mentioned that she might teach and people found that humorous.  How can you teach when all you have done is become newly licensed?  

I found one People article that mentioned taking the exam.  It isn't the one I read that also mentioned teaching, but apparently right before Izzy she was still planning to take the exam.  

She mentions teaching in her bio on their new website: "Through the wise, Godly counsel of my parents and friends, I started pursuing midwifery training and education to become licensed as a Certified Professional Midwife (they specialize in low-risk out of hospital prenatal, birth, and postpartum care). My prayer in pursuing midwifery early on was to make wise use of my single years while gaining valuable skills that I may someday use on the mission field. Although I don't plan on practicing while I have little ones of my own at home, I know the skills I have already learned have benefitted me immensely and I may be able to use them in other ways, such as teaching, down the road."

She doesn't explicitly state whether she still plans on taking the exam in this blurb, but I don't think it's unreasonable to interpret what she says here to mean that she does not intend to pursue licensing now that she's married and has a child.

Edited by graefin
  • Love 1

"Through the wise, Godly counsel of my parents and friends, I started pursuing midwifery training and education to become licensed as a Certified Professional Midwife

Translation:  I really wanted to be a nurse or CNM but Daddy said no.  This was the compromise.

• Love 4

Wow. So Michelle apparently wasn't proud of Jill during the the years she busted her ass raising Michelle's brood. It took a miserable labor and emergency c-section for Michelle to say she's proud of her daughter? Good grief.

• Love 15

So have we really heard ANYTHING about little Israel?  That he sleeps a lot, or he is very alert, or he has a big appetite, likes to be held?  

Nothing.  It's all about Jill and her trauma.  

I have thought the same thing since he was born.    

From the People excerpt of the Jill article for today:

"Jill was amazing," Michelle says. "I don't normally use the word 'proud,' but as a parent watching her, I was proud, and she did an amazing job. She is a trouper, that girl. We are so grateful this little man arrived safe and healthy."

How very sad that the only way your mom is proud of you is if you have a difficult labor.

Good Lord. Is it any wonder Jill is so adamant about following in her mother's footsteps? She must crave the praise she gets from Michelle. How awful to rarely use the word proud in relation to your kids.

• Love 3

What's the point of refusing pain medication? Most us were born perfectly normally using a variety of pain relief medications. Just curious. I had two medicated births and one that went too quickly for pain relief and let me tell you, pain relief is a good thing.

• Love 7

From the People excerpt of the Jill article for today:

"Jill was amazing," Michelle says. "I don't normally use the word 'proud,' but as a parent watching her, I was proud, and she did an amazing job. She is a trouper, that girl. We are so grateful this little man arrived safe and healthy."

I try not to snark too harshly on this family and I try to keep an open mind but this broke my heart. 19 sweet kids, the first handful of whom raised your kids and ran your household, don't hear that you're proud of them? What? How? But good for Jill for finally getting some validation from her mother, no matter how it came. Holy crap, that's sad. Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 17

Point of order:

I just adjusted the name of this thread to add Baby Izzy to the fun.  Cause why not?

As you were.

Absolutely love this. Maybe the little man finally has a 'forum' nickname - "The Iz...".

• Love 1

Chrio-Pedi-2.5 Mile walk? What, she didn't have time for Starbucks, too?

Jill was clearly going for the relaxed, at home, no big deal, all-natural birth. I guess she thought that angle would look best to the fans? Jill's trauma seems to be selling 'ok', though I bet Jill wants to pray away Marjorie.

• Love 3

There's a big difference between being proud of someone and being prideful. Her comment about rarely saying she's proud of someone is another example of whacked out Duggar thinking. Michelle needs to express more of the former and watch herself on the latter.

Edited by mccav
  • Love 7

What's the point of refusing pain medication? Most us were born perfectly normally using a variety of pain relief medications. Just curious. I had two medicated births and one that went too quickly for pain relief and let me tell you, pain relief is a good thing.

I can't speak for Jill but I've had 4 children, I refused pain meds with all 4. The first I was told horror story's about the meds so I opted out, after that I basically knew it hurt but I could handle the pain for my kids so I didn't have meds with the other 3. Now after I gave birth I was all down for some meds

• Love 3

If anyone actually believes that Jill composed that articulate statement about not pursuing her midwifery career at this time, or maybe ever again, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn...hers would sound more like..."us three talked and daddy decided it would be best for me to go that way...like, totally, it's crazy!"

How can Michelle make such a statement about "not being proud" of her children ..."much"...she doesn't like to use that word????What is wrong with her?

What a difference in the quote from Cathy...she told her grandson that she was so glad he was born because now he can know how much she loves him....Wow, no comparison.....Michelle comments on the labor and delivery...doesn't mention her relationship with her grandson, Israel at all.....Cathy is all about her relationship with that baby....

• Love 11

There's a big difference between being proud of someone and being prideful. Her comment about rarely saying she's proud of someone is another example of whacked out Duggar thinking. Michelle needs to express more of the former and watch herself on the latter.

I agree with this, but I also think that it's possible to convey to your children that you are proud of them without literally using the word "proud" (although why you would go out of your way to do this, I don't know). I think we've heard Michelle praise her kids before on the show, saying things like "good job." That said, of course her statement about not using the word "proud," but being proud of her daughter in this instance is incoherent given what mccav explained above. Actually, I don't believe Michelle is capable of a expressing a coherent thought anymore (if she ever was). Nearly all of her statements repeat the same buzz words ("blessing," "thrilled," "exciting," "neat," "grateful," "amazing," "grandchildren," "season of life," etc.) over and over, and each additional sentence is only a variation of the first, so that her quotes and talking heads are pretty much devoid of any meaningful content. She's like a robot with extremely limited programming.

• Love 3

Funny how the newborn wears shoes, when mom and dad don't bother. I've never seen anyone put shoes on a newborn -- and in the People article on the newsstand they had a picture of a shoe rack in his room full of shoes!

As for Lawson -- it's possible that he came as the chaperone for Joseph and whichever daughter people think he's dating. But it's also possible Joseph was coming to meet the baby and Lawson decided he wanted a road trip -- having nothing to do with a courtship for anyone in the Bates or Duggar families. The Bates kids seem to travel more than the Duggars and not always with groups of 10 siblings; their blog seems to show kids going off with another sibling or occasionally even alone, so maybe it's just that. As for why he's not in FL meeting Allie/Ally -- bc his sister is completely over having 18 siblings at every milestone event. I mean I don't doubt Alyssa loves her siblings, but since she got married and moved down to FL, you can tell that her life is about John and his family; even when they're shown at the Bates home, not only does John look uncomfortable, but Alyssa also looks like she's thinking -- ok would it be rude to leave yet?? One of the teen Bates girls even said that they didn't find out Alyssa was pregnant for several WEEKS after she told John's family, and on one of the episodes Alyssa and John made clear they wanted a full month with their daughter before they had sibling visitors. I'm guessing they're holding to that, so Lawson hasn't been invited over yet and has time for a road trip to Arkansas to the family that likely started receiving visitors once Jill was stitched up.

I'm not shocked that Michelle hasn't been proud of her kids too many times. In her world view, a woman is only valuable if she's married AND birthing babies. That is the only thing to be proud of -- not getting an A on a test; scoring a goal in soccer; overcoming your fear of stage fright and acting a part in the school play; graduating high school/college; getting a job/promotion etc. So when Jill got married, it was like -- eh, ok you've gotten over hurdle no. 1 but let's see how long it takes you to make a baby and how you do with birth. Now that she's made a honeymoon baby, and given birth to him in a shitshow event that only the Duggars would enjoy bc it was "dramatic" -- NOW Jill has proven her worth. She said in the People article that she had tears in her eyes when Jill had contractions a min apart at like hour 20 of labor; um -- so her daughter's uterus contracting and causing tremendous non stop pain, THAT was a source of pride.

• Love 5

I bet the difference never occurred to Bitchelle. Absolutely disgusting.
  • Love 1

Medications have side effects for both mother and baby. In my case it suppressed my daughter's breathing after birth. So many women prefer to avoid them to prevent the baby from being affected by them. 

• Love 3

Medications have side effects for both mother and baby. In my case it suppressed my daughter's breathing after birth. So many women prefer to avoid them to prevent the baby from being affected by them. 

That's unusual. Most medicated births go just fine.

• Love 2