Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Well I just went and real today's People exclusive. How illuminating.  Apparently he "encouraged" Jill by reading Bible verses and singing hymns.  Just what every woman wants when she is in the midst of a difficult labor.  They certainly are milking this for all it's worth.

The comments were entertaining.  I would say 90% of them were complaining about the excessive Duggar coverage.

• Love 3

I am curious to know exactly WHO WAS Jill's midwife, doula, and other assistants when she was at home? What are their actual qualifications? What advice and or insistence did they give her as this' laborious' situation evolved? Did she use some self-made midwife and assistant or a really trained professional one who could administer whatever medications might have been needed? Will we ever know the whole, real truth?

No, we'll never know the whole truth, whatever it is. As far as we know, the midwife - with the office in the Clampett's cabin - who was providing Jill with prenatal care could have been telling her all along that she would likely need a c-section due to the baby's size. All the drama in People could be just that. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. And it would be a classic Boob move. Create a lot of drama when there is none - gotta keep the public wondering. In the end, we'll know just as much as Boob tells Jill & Derick they can tell us. This is the Duggars after all.  

Edited by Wellfleet

I think the real root of Jill's whole attitude of "disappointment" here is that for the first time in her life, little Jilly-Muffin didn't do it perfectly. Circumstances, and her own subsequent decisions, stepped in to alter her plans. She learned at age 23 [?] what most of us learn much earlier, as children and teens, that things don't always go the way you want them to go - even when you do everything right. Life throws us all curves of various sizes, usually when you least expect or want them, and you need to be ready to handle things for which you never prepared or imagined. Until now Jill's been driving a brand-new vehicle on a flat, dry, straight stretch of road, with no traffic in sight - and about a week ago she experienced her first traffic jam.

yes, it's sad her first experience with a curve ball had to be the birth of her first child. She has no coping mechanisms because her parents never taught her various ways of coping and helped her work through it (I am sure Bitchelle and JimDick are not helping her now either. I bet Bitchelle is finding some way to feel smug and JimDick is busy recalculating and bring disappointed by a possible lower grandchild count).
  • Love 2

Well I just went and real today's People exclusive. How illuminating.  Apparently he "encouraged" Jill by reading Bible verses and singing hymns.  Just what every woman wants when she is in the midst of a difficult labor.  They certainly are milking this for all it's worth.

The comments were entertaining.  I would say 90% of them were complaining about the excessive Duggar coverage.

Slow news cycle right now for People-type media. Wait til the new royal bundle gets here. Duggars, prepare to be dropped like the proverbial hot potato...

• Love 4

I think the real root of Jill's whole attitude of "disappointment" here is that for the first time in her life, little Jilly-Muffin didn't do it perfectly. Circumstances, and her own subsequent decisions, stepped in to alter her plans. She learned at age 23 [?] what most of us learn much earlier, as children and teens, that things don't always go the way you want them to go - even when you do everything right. Life throws us all curves of various sizes, usually when you least expect or want them, and you need to be ready to handle things for which you never prepared or imagined. Until now Jill's been driving a brand-new vehicle on a flat, dry, straight stretch of road, with no traffic in sight - and about a week ago she experienced her first traffic jam.

I totally agree, which resulted in concern over her birth plans instead the health of her baby.

It gives frightening insight into how ignorant this family is.

The 40 minutes to the hospital bit  bothers me. There's a hospital five minutes from the McMansion. Why on earth didn't they find a doctor who practices there? 

Doctors or real midwives who practice there might of refused her because of her ridiculous birth plan?       

• Love 2

I think Jill has basically finished her studies.  She said she plans to take the examination in a few months.  If she does and passes and has completed the other minimum state requirements, then she'll get her license.  

Jill has said That she will not continue with her studies and will not be a midwife any longer as if she was a real mid wife any way.

I totally agree, which resulted in concern over her birth plans instead the health of her baby.

It gives frightening insight into how ignorant this family is.

Doctors or real midwives who practice there might of refused her because of her ridiculous birth plan?       

Or the insurance did not cover that hospital. 

Jill is selfish and uneducated. That fundie education did nothing for her. It's called life Jill, things don't go as planned. Derrick is just as dumb. Baby dilly could've died, then what? I hope he's okay and doesn't have any health problems.

I'm not wishing this on anyone or Dillard but what if baby dilly had development delays or autism? Would Jill pray it away? Would she play doctor? I hope not

She learned at age 23 [?] what most of us learn much earlier, as children and teens, that things don't always go the way you want them to go - even when you do everything right.

Things should get really good once the show ends. No one paying attention to your every thought, deed, baby, and teaching? No more money coming in? Derrick better brace himself. I don't think Jill knows how NOT to famewhore herself.

• Love 2

Jill is selfish and uneducated. That fundie education did nothing for her. It's called life Jill, things don't go as planned. Derrick is just as dumb. Baby dilly could've died, then what? I hope he's okay and doesn't have any health problems.

I'm not wishing this on anyone or Dillard but what if baby dilly had development delays or autism? Would Jill pray it away? Would she play doctor? I hope not

In their world everyone and thing is perfect. Just look at Josie perfect in every way not.

• Love 1

When my mother was hospitalized with me, my father read her theology. I was born in a tiny WV town, and it was quite the sensation, and my mother was much pitied. I was a philosophy major in college, so I guess he won!

Doodlebug could probably answer this, but I thought a birth plan was more of a wish lit than a mandate. When my first was born (17 years ago this very day! Happy Birthday to my first baby), I had typed up a birth plan. Things like I would like to try drug-free, and please don't give the baby a bottle in the nursery (I didn't want to discourage the breast) - stuff like that. I also had a tape of music to play during labor, and a nice gown to labor in.

Well, 37 hours later - after pitocin didn't take, and my baby didn't appear anxious to arrive - my OB said c-section, I said "yes, please!" I was quickly lying naked on a table (no use for a pretty gown), enjoying the anesthesia, ready to meet my little (10.5 lb.) one, and my birth plan ended up as a coaster under a visitor's cup of coffee.

Birth plan for my subsequent bundles? "Dear Dr., Please get the baby out as quickly and safely as possible, and feel free to be liberal with pain meds. You went to med school, I trust you. Best, Emme" or something like that.

Anyhow, I don't know that a doctor would refuse treatment because of a birth plan (but I'm sure many have gotten a good laugh over them).

• Love 4

I actually had a very elaborate birth plan - mine included plenty of pain medication and induction, but was detailed because I have a wide variety of health conditions, that all needed extensive monitoring, allergic reactions, was very high risk (preeclampsia with first, my second was a month early at 41) but still was very committed to a vaginally birth because birthing babies is one of the few things I genuine excel at doing, while surgery recovery is very difficult for me. It is literally a one hour recovery time vs three weeks in bed. I also needed certain medications in a certain order after birth, or I would be dealing with crushing migraines.

So it's not just about a wish list, and a good OB or midwife will work with you to put this together so you are on the same page.

• Love 2

Well I just went and real today's People exclusive. How illuminating.  Apparently he "encouraged" Jill by reading Bible verses and singing hymns.  Just what every woman wants when she is in the midst of a difficult labor. 

You can't really blame Derrick for this. Jill was the one who made up Bible verse cards to be read to her during labor.

It might not be what every woman wants, but it was certainly what she planned for.

I have not had a child, but I know numerous women who say they felt like the hospital bullied them during labor to choose what was convenient for the hospital, not best for them (one went so far as to have a home water birth after her first experience in the hospital was so bad). That is why birth plans are a good idea. It means you and the doctor are on the same page.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 1

I wonder if mothers will shy away from having Jill assist them, because they saw how negligent she was with her own birth.

I wonder whether the type of clients Jill would tend to have would even realize how negligent she was...

Edited to add: I should clarify by saying that many of the clients that would be drawn to Jill as a midwife might not have a basic solid education, watch TV, keep up on the latest health news etc. No way for them to know how poor Jill's choices were, and how tragic the results might have been. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

She might actually like the hymns. I know it bounds odd, but she may not know that many, having not been brought up in a real church. I notice Ben has been teaching Jessa hymns as well. Some of then can be fun to sing, and some are really comforting.

• Love 2

Doodlebug could probably answer this, but I thought a birth plan was more of a wish lit than a mandate. When my first was born (17 years ago this very day! Happy Birthday to my first baby), I had typed up a birth plan. Things like I would like to try drug-free, and please don't give the baby a bottle in the nursery (I didn't want to discourage the breast) - stuff like that. I also had a tape of music to play during labor, and a nice gown to labor in.

Well, 37 hours later - after pitocin didn't take, and my baby didn't appear anxious to arrive - my OB said c-section, I said "yes, please!" I was quickly lying naked on a table (no use for a pretty gown), enjoying the anesthesia, ready to meet my little (10.5 lb.) one, and my birth plan ended up as a coaster under a visitor's cup of coffee.

Birth plan for my subsequent bundles? "Dear Dr., Please get the baby out as quickly and safely as possible, and feel free to be liberal with pain meds. You went to med school, I trust you. Best, Emme" or something like that.

Anyhow, I don't know that a doctor would refuse treatment because of a birth plan (but I'm sure many have gotten a good laugh over them).

I think many refuse was the wrong word.    More like find an excuse or reason not to want to have her become a patient.  Seeing trouble from a distance so to speak.

Sort of like my neighbor who is constantly asking me for the names of people who have done work on my home.  I know very well she is a huge pain in the ass, stubborn and has various mental issues which prevent her from being rational and reasonable.    So, I will give her a name, but warn my long time and trusted people about her.    So far none of them have done any work for her.

• Love 3

Things should get really good once the show ends. No one paying attention to your every thought, deed, baby, and teaching? No more money coming in? Derrick better brace himself. I don't think Jill knows how NOT to famewhore herself.

They might be - gulp - just fine. These are two people who were giving advice on marriage within 2-3 months of their own wedding. !!!  They'll sign onto some fundie speaking circuit and do "workshops" on marriage, childbirth and rearing children, "the Dullard way." 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

Jill has said That she will not continue with her studies and will not be a midwife any longer as if she was a real mid wife any way.

Jill plainly said, perhaps in an interview, that she was going to take the exam.  She further talked about possibly teaching which we even laughed about here.  She doesn't seem to have any plans to actually perform as a regular midwife though.  

I actually had a very elaborate birth plan - mine included plenty of pain medication and induction, but was detailed because I have a wide variety of health conditions, that all needed extensive monitoring, allergic reactions, was very high risk (preeclampsia with first, my second was a month early at 41) but still was very committed to a vaginally birth because birthing babies is one of the few things I genuine excel at doing, while surgery recovery is very difficult for me. It is literally a one hour recovery time vs three weeks in bed. I also needed certain medications in a certain order after birth, or I would be dealing with crushing migraines.

So it's not just about a wish list, and a good OB or midwife will work with you to put this together so you are on the same page.

You are correct GEML. A birth plan can be a very important tool. I was being somewhat facetious about the ridiculous turn some of them could take. No disrespect meant!

They'll sign onto some fundie speaking circuit and do "workshops" on marriage, childbirth and rearing children, "the Dullard way."

And be competing with Josh, Anna, Jessa, Ben, Si, Marjorie, etc. for the 'has been' christianity advice tour. The market will only bear so many motivational speakers. Look out Kirk Cameron!

• Love 4

Not to mention competing with Jim Bob and Michelle.

I forgot them. See how the brand's already diluted? ;)

It's going to be very strange watching 60 year old Michelle talk about 'raising little ones', breastfeeding, etc.

• Love 3

The 40 minutes to the hospital bit  bothers me. There's a hospital five minutes from the McMansion. Why on earth didn't they find a doctor who practices there?

Could be an insurance issue, could also be that her particular lay midwife doesn't have a doctor there who is willing to serve as her consultant.  Most legit midwives who do home births have a professional relationship with an OB/GYN who they can call on to admit and manage their patients if they need a hospital.  It could be that Jilly's midwife doesn't have anyone nearby she can use (maybe because they don't think she's very good?) and so they had to go further to find someone who was willing to do things the way they wanted.

There has also been speculation in the past that at least part of the reason they want homebirths and that Michelle chose a practitioner/hospital who was fairly distant from her home is because many hospitals and docs would want no part of the Duggar dog and pony show.  I am sure the Duggars were paid a premium price for the filming of this birth; if the local hospital wouldn't let them film, then they'd be out a bundle.

As far as birth plans, they are actually pretty common, at least amongst first time moms.  Most veterans of childbirth figure it really doesn't matter all that much.  Usually they are very realistic things like 'no episiotomy' or 'no shave and enema' and since it is a hospital and not a time machine transporting laboring moms back to 1981, it's pretty easy to reassure someone.  I also find it a good opportunity to discuss the situations in which one might need an IV or continuous monitoring or whatever it is they'd like to avoid.  Most people are fine once they understand the purpose of the intervention.

I used to get a lot of referrals from a Bradley instructor.  She would print off a birth plan for her clients to use.  At the top, as rule #1, in all caps, it said "NO CESAREAN SECTION EVER".  I would point out to the parents to be that this was not a plan but a manifesto and that if they really didn't want a C/S for any reason then they should plan to deliver someplace where they don't do them and have as their attendant someone who doesn't know how to do them.  Stay home with your lay midwife, in other words.  I cannot work that kind of rigidity, no one can.  Most people are very reasonable however.  I did have one patient tell me that she didn't want a C/S no matter what because her body was perfect and she didn't want it 'ruined' with a scar.  Let the baby die, she was very fertile and she could have others.  Luckily, she didn't need one.  She, however, did need a psychiatrist for her mental health issues and a lawyer once her husband realized she wasn't thinking straight and took full custody of the kid.

• Love 13

I'm sorry, I genuinely can't tell if this is supposed to be read as snark or fact?

Swear on my childs life. I am racking my brain trying to remember his name. His wife has been a birth coach and does the Bradley classes. He is a little dweeb of a man and she is a drama queen. Have dealt with both of them. I think their last name starts with an F. He is a GP but the Duggar's use him for routine illnesses and Marcus had his well baby check up at his storefront office. He is not a well respected physician in NWA.

• Love 1

Jill's dislike of shoes is also something I relate to. My husband says I walked the halls barefoot during those hours of labor that my memory has blocked out. Some of us would prefer to live barefoot as much as possible, and it has nothing to do with religion or making women be barefoot and pregnant. Jill just has never had to go to school or a job where she was forced to get used to shoes, and she grew up being allowed to keep her feet unconfined.

Yes, okay, I hate wearing shoes too. But IN THE HOSPITAL, you are taking a real, no opinions necessary, documented risk of infection doing that. That's why they give you the little sock things, and require you to wear them. Well, that and for a little traction.

I know the mods already pointed out that the Shoes issue has been beaten to death; I'm going to try to redeem myself by tying it to a different observation: I've noticed the Duggars tend to treat everywhere they are as if it's their home, and they can behave any way they want to because -- they're Duggars. They truly think they're exceptional. (Hey, Gil, guess what? We've decided to stay a couple of days longer even though you didn't invite us to! You lucky guy, you!") And this is Jill. Even in the hospital, she assumes she's calling the shots.

On another note, the People video report is unbelievable. They're clucking about how lucky it is that Jill had so much training that she was able to recognize the meconium and decide she needed to go straight to the hospital. Not quite how it happened the first time I heard this story, but revisionist history is another thing the Duggars excel at. People Mag is really pushing them hard and with a lot of praise. At some point the mag will decide they've reached critical mass on the praising, and may very well turn around and start the vicious attacking. That's the cycle.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 6

Jim Bob is right to be looking for people who have a call to "ministry" - he says all the right things. He's basically saying he wants someone who has some political or influential chops to come courting. It's kind of a code.

Nobody with "political or influential chops" will come forward. The family members of the influentials don't want their lives splashed all over the teevee. I might also mention that Jim Boob and company have nothing they might want. Example: Tim Tebow.

• Love 1

Nobody with "political or influential chops" will come forward. The family members of the influentials don't want their lives splashed all over the teevee. I might also mention that Jim Boob and company have nothing they might want. Example: Tim Tebow.

This is my point exactly. The television show has hurt them in the long term, I think, rather than help them. If by long term you are talking about good marriages from what would have once been their point of view. Jim Bob and Michelle, of course, have made a bundle.

• Love 2

I wonder if mothers will shy away from having Jill assist them, because they saw how negligent she was with her own birth.

I sure as hell would. I doubt that she'll actually ever want to work, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I would too. I would never ever trust a woman who was stupid enough to go through 70 hours of labor and risk her baby's life, with my own baby. But yeah, it doesn't matter anyway, there's no way she'll work. She'll be too busy popping out babies. 

• Love 4

This whole drama circus assures Jill of lots of attention during the next birth. Possibly during the pregnancy too. Mission Accomplished there. Who care about working. This is her job.

• Love 2

I'm like the anti- Duggar. I had no "birth plan". Because I was having twins, I had enough u/s to know ds1 was transverse. I had a scheduled c- section.

With ds3, I opted for a csection rather than try for a vbac.

Once the royal baby is here, the Duggars are going to be left in the dust. It seems like a slow celebrity news time right now.

• Love 2

I agree that Baby Dilly is filling a vacuum right now. Once Duchess Kate enters the hospital Jill can kiss her People articles good-bye.

We all know Jessa is going to announce her pregnancy next week and Marjorie has a "made for tv" personality. Jilly Muffin doesn't stand a chance against those two.

• Love 8

I don't get the whole birth plan thing. Why try to plan your birth if it can so easily go wrong? I'll just go with whatever happens, and try to be as little like Jill as humanly possible.

I never heard of a birth plan either. When I was pregnant I just remember being bigger than any of my friends or cousins at 3 months. While my cousin was doing her OB residency she had access to an ultrasound machine. She scanned me found the twins. I called my doctor the next day. He said come on in and determined me high risk. He never said oh write things out on how you want to do things. I would have told him WHAT? I'm new to this that is your job.

• Love 6

Many people are in a maternal health practice where you don't get the OB that you've spent a lot of time with. Or the nurse you've just spent eight hours talking to in the labor room leaves just as you get to a critical point. A birthing plan is a great way to give people in charge of you a quick and succinct way of knowing what your needs and preferences are without making a woman have to feel she needs to be advocating for herself at a time when she doesn't need to be focusing on that.

Yes, we been having some fun at Jill's expense, but I would find health professionals laughing at women behind their backs for having a REASONABLE birthing plan as unprofessional as I do Jill for being so inflexible for insisting hers be followed.

Because the bottom line is, women are designed to give birth and babies are born by the thousands all over the world every day with excellent results. Most of the time, nothing does go wrong. And the US doesn't do that BETTER than the rest of the western world, and shouldnt be immune to some criticism.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 6

I only gave birth once, in a hospital with no-gasp-birth plan. It was momentous for my husband and I,but probably unremarkable to anyone else. My recollection is that I had to meet the other 2 Drs within my OB's practice because they traded off delivery schedules. If a person was planning to deliver with a midwife, do they also work with an OB for contingencies?

• Love 2

Some L&D nurses on FB were laughing about the article about Jill's detailed birth plan. One said something like, "you know what detailed birth plan means..." and the other said, "yep. Section every time."

• Love 2
I don't get the whole birth plan thing. Why try to plan your birth if it can so easily go wrong? I'll just go with whatever happens, and try to be as little like Jill as humanly possible.

Do whatever makes you feel good, and what's healthy for you and the baby.  My goal was to get my kid to 21 with no bail involved, and nobody calling me grandma.  I'm a year and five months away.  Congrats to you!    

• Love 12

The Royal Baby may grab the headlines, but we will not get nearly as much info about the birth.

We will get something along the lines of:  Buckingham Palace (Or HRH Queen Elizabeth) is pleased to announce that the Duchess of Cambridge has safely delivered a son/daughter, on dd/mm/yyyy.  We may or may not get the weight of the baby.  There will be photos of the Duchess leaving the hospital with the baby in her arms.  Then probably not much until the christening. Possibly a cute photo of Prince George with his little sibling.

The Royals certainly manage to do a pretty good job of guarding their privacy when you consider the fishbowl they live in.

The Duggars , on the other hand , have no qualms about sharing ANYTHING.  Cameras following Josh and Anna to their hotel room door after their wedding, Anna's toilet birth, and the multiple scenes of plugged toilets we have had to endure come to mind. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 7

Let's just pray that Jessa pray doesn't end up using the same worthless midwife. *shudder*

I've already lost interest in little RickJamesBitch. Yawn too much coverage has killed my interest.

I was barely interested to begin with. Big yawn.

• Love 1

I agree that Baby Dilly is filling a vacuum right now. Once Duchess Kate enters the hospital Jill can kiss her People articles good-bye.

We all know Jessa is going to announce her pregnancy next week and Marjorie has a "made for tv" personality. Jilly Muffin doesn't stand a chance against those two.

Jilly Muffin was the reigning princess from her whirlwind courtship to her dramatic birth, but I think she's about to join Josh and Anna in the world of irrelevance. She'll probably have another kid within a year, but she'll be relegated to a sidebar in the Jinger courtship announcement or Josiah's engagement.

• Love 7

I agree with this.    You can educate yourself in a reasonable way and wish to have a healthy vaginal delivery with or without drugs and leave it at that.   I heard a nurse once say a birth plan should consist of a few sentences.

The most important thing is having a doctor you trust and have confidence in and a partner who is there 24/7 to be the advocate.   A great partner is much more effective than a piece of paper.

• Love 3

Just a thought - remember they were writing bible verses to say to help Jill through labor and delivery?  Have we heard mention of this at all?

This is all we ever hear of them doing together. We heard about the copying of Bible verses to help Jill through delivery, and the "fun" of spending a quite candlelight evening reading Bible verses to each other. We know that they talked about little other than Bible verses when they started "courting," because JB and J'chelle were hanging onto every word.

I think that this is part of the reason that they are so awkward together. I think that Derick is awkward around women to begin with and found sharing Bible verses a comfortable way of communicating, and I think that Jill is terrified that she will burn in hell if she says something that isn't in the Bible, or in one of Gothard's pamphlets.

• Love 1

And I think the nurse telling me what my birth plan should be is overstepping her boundaries. Partners are often overwhelmed. The best OBs have personal emergencies, go on vacations and get ill themselves.

I get that trust in your doctor and your hospital is important, and I wouldn't have had delivered my babies without that. But just as Jill couldn't prepare for every contingency, I fail to see what is so foolish about trying to prepare for any of them - including the idea that your doctor might not be available or you might not be in the hospital you planned. Life happens. I think about every major decision I make in my life. Why should the birth of my child be any different?

Edited by GEML
  • Love 7

I was told a birth plan that exceeds one sheet of paper is useless because the staff don't have time to read a lengthy document.  If you have allergies, drug reactions, special medical conditions, etc, it's very useful to have a few copies of that along with a list of medications the patient is currently taking or issues in previous deliveries.  My daughter for her second birth had a very simple birth plan, get the epidural ASAP.  She delivered on a very busy day and leaped the line when the nurse asked if anyone was on a second or higher baby.  She was given the last open birthing room n a very large hospital and the first question the nurse asked was do you want the epidural now?  Daughter said yes and the nurse called for it.  They had to check either right before or after it was done and she was already at 8 cm.  As daughter said, if the nurse hadn't inquired about not first births and any special requests, she'd have never gotten the epidural.  :)  

I agree with many of the other posters, that Jill showing up with an extremely/overly detailed plan was indicative of both some immaturity and control freak behavior and that wasn't lost on staff at all.  

• Love 5

Because the bottom line is, women are designed to give birth and babies are born by the thousands all over the world every day with excellent results. Most of the time, nothing does go wrong. 

Actually, 1 in 9 babies is born prematurely. I gave birth easily to 5 children before I almost died having #6. We had 423 admissions last year in the small, private, suburban hospital NICU where I work. Modern obstetrics has mitigated many of the risks, but it still has a long way to go. Birth is dangerous - always has been and always will be. 

In general, birth plans are great. They are usually made with or approved by an OB or CNM and are a list of the mother's preferences. They shouldn't, however, be used as an ironnclad menu of demands. I hate pitocin and morphine and I prefer an epidural to a spinal, so I asked my OB to avoid them if it was safe for me and the babies. I needed all of these things in 2 cases, so my plan changed.

I hope they're keeping an eye on Jill for PPD. Mothers whose births didn't go according to expectations tend to have a hard time.

• Love 5