Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Protocol is for patients to wear non-skid socks at all times. It doesn't matter if they are a fall risk, socks must be worn. And why wouldn't you wear them? Yuck.

A friend of my daughter gave birth recently. She was to be discharged on day 4, but the baby was to be there for 5 days. The hospital kept the mother the extra day as a "guest". She would have had to change rooms if they needed it, but they didn't.

I will join the chorus.  Barefoot in a hospital?  REALLY bad idea.  

My daughter and soon-to-be son-in-law are doctors, and they have told me that hospitals are the filthiest places on earth. And the white coats the doctors wear are pretty disgusting too.  DD wishes she didn't have to wear one but it is hospital policy for medical students and residents to wear them at all times.

Jill is so proud of being a "trained midwife", but she doesn't hesitate to go barefoot in a hospital corridor, and then rejoin her newborn son in the room? Great training she had...

• Love 5

Ok, we get it. Hospital floors are dirty. D & J are weird and gross for not wearing any shoes. (But they're always weird and gross so what's new?) We would all wear shoes in such situations, and some hospitals require that as standard protocol.

I think that covers the topic. No more need to exclaim over it. Let's move on, ok?  If you want to say "Yes, I agree with your statement" you can use the "like" button rather than posting the exact same thought just in different words.  

• Love 6

Good God MAN man up Derrick! You now sound exactly like Jill in the way you speak. 

Rock Hudson on the cover. That's rich. Sorry Izzy had to share eyespace with a homoseuxal!

LMAO oh MECHELLE is probably besides herself now. 

• Love 2

I'm excited for their future that Derick is so involved.  Especially since Jill needs to focus on her recovery. However, there are photos on the Dillard's own website that show Joy is over at the house and pitching in. I'm thrilled that they have a support team to help with Israel. I just think that it sounds disingenuous to state that Derick is changing all of the diapers. It reminds me of Josh and Anna's RV trip to Chicago. Understandable to assert they are the new parents and bonding but at the same time acknowledge what you have in your sister support team.

Thank God for hospitals, doctors and that the C-Section was available since the labor was difficult. The meconium while at home sounded especially troubling. 

Edited by Lilytiger
  • Love 2

Why would she refuse pitocin? Did she want to do it all naturally?

Probably. I've had a few friends that wouldn't take it (and all ended in C-sections).  I think there is something it could maybe, in a rarity, do to affect the baby.

I am absolutely shocked a hospital would let her stay there and labor for more than 2 days. (70 hours of labor- she went after 20 hours- so 50 hours of labor in the hospital.)

Especially after the meconium-stained fluid at home? But a patient has a right to refuse specific treatment, and I don't think a hospital can do anything about that. More than two days in labor seems crazy, though, and makes me think that Jill is not very capable of sound judgment.

• Love 13

After 20 hours, even with the IV, given that her water had broken, the group B strep and meconium, she should have taken the stupid pitocin! She almost certainly would have delivered within a few hours. There's a point where you really can be too purist for your own good.

Thankful he made it safely.

• Love 17

More than two days in labor seems crazy, though, and makes me think that Jill is not very capable of sound judgment.

Her entire life she's been given a specific set of step to follow that guarantee happiness as long as you're totally obedient. Hopefully this shakes her out of that kind of thinking.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 8

Her entire life she's been given a specific set of step to follow that guarantee happiness as long as you're totally obedient. Hopefully this shakes her out of that kind of thinking.

She also has not learned any critical thinking skills thanks to the environment she was raised in. And apparently Derick's not much better in that department, or he wasn't able to talk sense into her earlier.

• Love 10

Maybe it's the whole not wanting anything touching your skin sensation that some people get when they're sick, but at the hospital where I work, an amazing amount of people try to leave their rooms barefoot, and have to be told by nurses to put their slippers on. Considering Jill is already a barefoot type person, I can see her doing that, but Derrick should have had something on.

I work in a hospital and pts are so quick to walk around barefoot. I remind them all the time to put their shoes on or wear the slipper socks provided. Hospital floors are probably the most nasty, germy thing there is.

Especially after the meconium-stained fluid at home? But a patient has a right to refuse specific treatment, and I don't think a hospital can do anything about that. More than two days in labor seems crazy, though, and makes me think that Jill is not very capable of sound judgment.

Are you assuming there was meconium stained fluid??

Why would she refuse pitocin? Did she want to do it all naturally?

Because she has to beat Mechelle's birthing stories. Now Jill's is sooo much better than anything that her mother experienced in terms of pain and suffering. 

She also has not learned any critical thinking skills thanks to the environment she was raised in. And apparently Derick's not much better in that department, or he wasn't able to talk sense into her earlier.

The article could also be interpreted they were offered pitocin or a c-section and went with the c-section. That many complications, I think it was the right, and very brave choice to go c-section. They were very lucky.

• Love 1

If she refuses treatment though, can't they make her leave?  It seems like she becomes a malpractice risk to them.

I guess I've just never heard of anyone in a hospital laboring for more than two days. Doctors usually call for a C-section well before that (assuming the pitocin didn't work, but Jill declined that).

No way insurance covers that, at the very least.

The article could also be interpreted they were offered pitocin or a c-section and went with the c-section.

Surely the hospital would have offered pitocin well before the 70 hour mark; so I think it would be difficult to interpret the article that way, especially since she came in after already laboring 20 hours and with a complication.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 3

(Wry tone) Well, I was the one who said she wasn't afraid of pain.....

I can't imagine the hospital offering her pitocin if the baby was turned like that. Speeding up delivery at that point could be very dangerous, actually. But the baby could easily turn in seventy hours.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 1

Edited: I see I am late with this information! Sorry. I was on a previous page in forum.

Jerick are on the front page of PEOPLE.com (promoting upcoming print edition). Some tailgates from the magazine cover:

70 Hours in Labor

An Unplanned C-Section

Meet 9lb. 10oz. Baby Israel!

Edited by Emme

[snip] 

I'm a grown woman with grown children. I've been hospitalized a number of times, and I'm afraid of staying alone there. I'm okay with sleeping overnight, but during the day (and most particularly, in the ER) I strongly prefer to have someone with me for a number of reasons. Among them, that a lot of doctors and nurses and techs come through, and if you're on meds or really sick, it's great to have someone who can keep track of who they all are and what they tell you. I'm glad you had an uncomplicated hospitalization, but I can't agree that wanting to have someone with you is unreasonable or somehow infantile. Especially when you have people able and willing to to be there.

Absolutely agree with you. A hospital is thee last place you want to be alone. People assume everyone in healthcare is clean and professional. Hate to burst anyone's bubble but that is far from the case. There are many careless, unclean healthcare professionals. I know. I work with some. Some do not wash or sanitize their hands properly, multi use equipment such as beds, wheelchairs, etc are full of bacteria. If you don't see them wash or clean it in front of you, assume it is dirty. Sick people, or anyone who is receiving pain meds need an advocate to ask questions and insure the pt is receiving good healthcare.

• Love 4

Maybe I'm wrong but I would think she would want pain meds while getting the c section. If it were me and I was getting my stomach cut open I'd want some pain. Now I do agree to no pain meds if your having a vaginal delivery, I had 4 kids no pain meds

The PEOPLE article says there was. That is why she went to the hospital.  (It makes it sound like she got the IV at home. Is that possible?)

From what I read about maternal group B strep, the risk is that the baby contracts an infection from the mother while still in utero. So the IV antibs were done at home, and that picture Derick posted was taken during labor at home, not after she came home.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm wrong but I would think she would want pain meds while getting the c section. If it were me and I was getting my stomach cut open I'd want some pain. Now I do agree to no pain meds if your having a vaginal delivery, I had 4 kids no pain meds

Wait... What? Did she do a C-section without pain meds? I know I'm on the opposite extreme, I mean, I would prefer a vicodin prior to a pap smear...

• Love 3

If she refuses treatment though, can't they make her leave?  It seems like she becomes a malpractice risk to them.

I don't see how it can be considered malpractice if 1) they are making specific treatment recommendations, 2) she refuses them, and 3) it is her right to refuse. I would think there would more likely be a case for malpractice if they forced her to leave in this condition.

• Love 1

The PEOPLE article says there was. That is why she went to the hospital.  (It makes it sound like she got the IV at home. Is that possible?)

Only if there doctor friend who has already had his license suspended not once but twice for prescribing pain meds to himself and lost his DEA number to ever do so again came over and started it.

People in healthcare do have "supplies" at home to start IV's on family or friends when a vomiting spree hits etc...and it is done on the down low. Although it is harder now to "get" those supplies due to inventory etc...but yes, it is possible. I think she got the IV at the hospital though.

• Love 1

(Wry tone) Well, I was the one who said she wasn't afraid of pain.....

I can't imagine the hospital offering her pitocin if the baby was turned like that. Speeding up delivery at that point could be very dangerous, actually. But the baby could easily turn in seventy hours.

The way I read it, the baby turned between hour 20 and 70.

Wait... What? Did she do a C-section without pain meds?

There is nothing in that article that says she didn't have pain meds once she went into surgery. 

I would think there would more likely be a case for malpractice if they forced her to leave in this condition.

I guess that makes sense. It just seems that hospitals aren't really fond of housing people who refuse any sort of treatment. 

But I guess if she was actively laboring, the monitoring is treatment.

It just seems like a major waste of hospital resources  to go at it for that long with no intervention accepted.

Edited by Skittl1321

She refused pain meds and pitocin during labor. But let's use some common sense here. There's no way she had a C-section without anesthesia. That's not "pain meds" that still major surgery and requires anesthesia. She did a commercial for TLC a few hours afterwards.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 19

The article says she "initially" refused pain meds.  I take that to mean that while in labor, she refused pain medication.  I cannot imagine anyone performing a c-section without numbing the patient and providing pain relief.

• Love 2

No one has a C-section without some form of anesthesia.   Normally a spinal is given because its more reliable than an epidural.

• Love 6

Only if there doctor friend who has already had his license suspended not once but twice for prescribing pain meds to himself and lost his DEA number to ever do so again came over and started it.

People in healthcare do have "supplies" at home to start IV's on family or friends when a vomiting spree hits etc...and it is done on the down low. Although it is harder now to "get" those supplies due to inventory etc...but yes, it is possible. I think she got the IV at the hospital though.

Which doctor?    

There has to be some protocol in place to protect both mother and baby when the mother is making really bad decisions/refusing medical advice.

The whole story sounds insane, especially if there is meconium and a breech position involved.    And she calls herself a midwife?  Wow, I wouldn't let her deliver a pizza.       

Rock Hudson on the cover. That's rich. Sorry Izzy had to share eyespace with a homoseuxal!

Just have to keep re-posting this.  Classic !

• Love 6

From my understanding, she has behaved childishly and stubbornly throughout her delivery. For a "midwife" that knows so much about natural childbirth, she sure doesn't know when she should listen to the doctor. If I thought Jill was going to have a career, I would say this would have negatively impacted it. She clearly isn't very good with making judgement calls that include deviating from the plan.

• Love 9

I wonder if Jilly Muffin was able to keep sweet for 70 hours of labor, or if she ever gave in and screamed and cursed.

I'm sure she was a headache for the doctors and nurses. I'm sure she was unhappy to be there, because it wasn't what she wanted. Between her insistence on laboring for 70 hours before a c-section, her love for walking around barefoot and her TLC cameras, I'm sure she wasn't the easiest patient to deal with.

• Love 8

I'm sorry, I genuinely can't tell if this is supposed to be read as snark or fact?

It actually makes me sad, because I really support lay midwives (and REALLY support certified nurse midwives) and this is just why the medical community comes down on them and home births. It isn't that any one choice that she made was good/bad, it's that the constellation for them led to multiple infection risks for her and the baby, a ridiculous number of hours in labor, and a c-section that quite possibly could have been avoided.

But "it brought them closer" and she "wouldn't change a thing." Anyone else think she won't keep getting pregnant if she's had fifteen c-sections in a row?

• Love 11

There has to be some protocol in place to protect both mother and baby when the mother is making really bad decisions/refusing medical advice

I'm curious too what can the hospital do if anything to protect the mother and baby if the mother is refusing treatment?

• Love 2