Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I actually agree with Anna. The government goes above and beyond to remove any aspects of Christianity from the school system, but now they're observing Muslim holidays. Obviously this doesn't affect the M'kids, but I don't think Anna is entirely off base with her comments.

Being closed for a holiday is not the same as observing it.  When I lived in NJ, we were closed for Yom Kippur.  I certainly didn't observe it.  I slept in.  :)  And, the school never "celebrated" Yom Kippur.  It was just closed.  I bet most of the teachers slept in too.  :)

I think this is yet another instance of Anna being way too sheltered about the world.  Remember, she's probably never even SEEN the inside of a public school, much less have any ideas of its workings.  Just because a school is closed for a holiday doesn't mean that the teachers spend hours upon hours teaching about it despite what the talking heads at Fox News might say.  :)

• Love 15

Some of the rural school districts around here are closed for the first day of hunting season. That is because a huge chunk of the student body is always absent on that day because hunting is a big deal around here. However, none of the students is required to go hunting. But I doubt Anna would be offended by this type of "holiday"since the Duggars and their ilk love guns.

• Love 10

Being closed for a holiday is not the same as observing it.  When I lived in NJ, we were closed for Yom Kippur.  I certainly didn't observe it.  I slept in.  :)  And, the school never "celebrated" Yom Kippur.  It was just closed.  I bet most of the teachers slept in too.  :)

I think this is yet another instance of Anna being way too sheltered about the world.  Remember, she's probably never even SEEN the inside of a public school, much less have any ideas of its workings.  Just because a school is closed for a holiday doesn't mean that the teachers spend hours upon hours teaching about it despite what the talking heads at Fox News might say.  :)

Totally agree. PS - I think at "Fox News" it's something else that's doing the talking. But it's clearly not heads...

• Love 3

Some of the rural school districts around here are closed for the first day of hunting season. That is because a huge chunk of the student body is always absent on that day because hunting is a big deal around here. However, none of the students is required to go hunting. But I doubt Anna would be offended by this type of "holiday"since the Duggars and their ilk love guns.

I've heard of that. In my area, schools are closed on MLK Day and President's Day among other holidays. IMO, wouldn't it be better for kids to go to school these days to learn about these people instead of being off & going to the mall & movies? One of our county legislators is pushing to have the Winter Break go back to being called Christmas break. Last I heard he's not having much luck.

Does the ATI curriculum cover history or is the Bible their history book? I'm sure there is no mention of other cultures besides Gothardism. Getting a little off topic, does the ATI curriculum get updated or will Anna be teaching the kiddos the exact things she was taught?

• Love 1

I don't by any stretch think that you have to have your kids in public school in order to have an opinion on how public schools do this or that BUT I also think that you make yourself look like a tool if you home school and have no intention of ever changing this, and pontificate in public about how public schools do things, especially things that don't really matter, like having school holidays on days when half the kids are gone anyway. Now if a school had a very low population of Muslim students and were giving school breaks for Muslim holidays just to be fashionable or something (I have no idea if this has ever happened), that *may* be something worth pointing out... but I still am not looking for my politics from reality TV people and don't want to think about there being people who do.

I hate the double standards. NYC is very diverse. People (christians aka conservatives) complain lack of prayer in school and how schools are teaching kids about gasp other religions. But if you're going to allow prayer in school it's only fair for the Muslims, Buddhist, and other religions to practice their faith in Public school. If you don't want to follow Public school then homeschool or put your kid in religious school

• Love 8

I hate the double standards. NYC is very diverse. People (christians aka conservatives) complain lack of prayer in school and how schools are teaching kids about gasp other religions. But if you're going to allow prayer in school it's only fair for the Muslims, Buddhist, and other religions to practice their faith in Public school. If you don't want to follow Public school then homeschool or put your kid in religious school

I agree it should be all or nothing.

• Love 2

I guess most of the people here watch CNN or MSNBC.  Fox has more viewers than both combined.  So I guess this is a minority.  The Gothardites of Fundyism.  But liberal.  So must be fallen away fun dies.  I'm going to leave it at fun dies which is auto correct.

• Love 1

I'm actually a political junkie who doesn't get any of my news from the television. It's way too slow.

School calendars are set locally - not nationally. Each state requires so many hours per year, roughly 180 days worth of six hours per day. Every child in America gets this amount of classroom time, regardless of what days it happens. Some schools have long winter breaks, some long summers. Some students get off lots of holidays, some almost none. Some start almost the first of August, some not until after Labor Day. Point is, Anna had no idea how education in America works, or how decisions are made.

But isn't this better for them than talking about the cat? ;)

• Love 6

Well GEML these folks wouldn't watch TV, and while I usually read my news from various sources, and therefore I think am well rounded, this couple would not watch TV nor would they use the computer to read.  I rarely watch videos on computer, because they annoy me.  But I love the computer because I can see something and be curious about a reference, so look that up immediately, and then look up something else, etc etc.  That's how I spend my time at home.  For Pris, David is the supplier of all the news she needs, and for him, his job at Gothard supplies all he needs.  Also TFDW doesn't like Pris much, but he is SO happy to be around Josh, just can't wait to get his hands on Josh.  I keep thinking of the dirt bike epi, among others.

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 1

I would think that the issue lies with fear. Fear from many religious groups...Christians, like the Duggars, to extremist Muslims. There is a sect of both of those faiths who seek to convert those around them who do not share their particular religious and maybe cultural beliefs..One can't deny that the Duggars contribute to that fundamentalist Christian group who are seeking to take decision making power away from them and there is also that group in the Muslim/Islam faith who seek to convert the infidels of this country in to dressing and believing as they do...From what I can see, they are both the same. Both groups seem to be seeking a change in the secular laws of our society which would give freedom of choice and religion the boot. Fear only makes things worse..extremism in anything isn't a good thing. This, of course, is just my opinion folks.

• Love 1

I am at a point for a while now, in which I am quite bored to look at Anna's facebook page...it's about one subject, abortion, and not much else. They are becoming too political for me and I'm tired of it. Anna, who has lived and still lives a sheltered life, has never entered ANY schoolroom or has EVER had a job thinks she knows more than she does about everything. She needs, IMO, to keep quiet and post "daily household lady things"....because that's all she has had experience in.

• Love 8
I guess most of the people here watch CNN or MSNBC.  Fox has more viewers than both combined.  So I guess this is a minority.

That's a somewhat misleading statistic though, considering this Pew Research Center survey: Conservatives Converge Around Fox News as Main Source; No Single Source Dominates on the Left. Not to mention, I feel like a lot of liberals "hate-watch" Fox, whereas I think that Anna Duggar couldn't fathom paying any attention to NPR, lmao. And yeah, nowadays a lot of people on the left get their news from social media sites like twitter. 

Those pointing out that this has nothing to do with making people observe a holiday they do not celebrate are also 100% correct. We don't make anyone attend a Seder during Passover and we certainly won't make students start praying to Mecca on Eid.

Heh, when I was in elementary school, they taught us The Dreidel Song during the holiday season. Gasp. Shock. Horror. And then I converted to Judaism on the spot! Of course, this was in the Bay Area, which according to the Duggars is a hotbed of godless liberalism. 

From what I can see, they are both the same. Both groups seem to be seeking a change in the secular laws of our society which would give freedom of choice and religion the boot.

There are definitely Islamic extremists out there, but the difference to me is that Christians are the ones with all the power in this country. We don't have some Muslim version of Josh Duggar or FRC trying to impose an Islamic theocracy on us. In other countries, of course, the situation might be (is) different. 

I am at a point for a while now, in which I am quite bored to look at Anna's facebook page...it's about one subject, abortion, and not much else.

She has a very one-track mind. I look forward to seeing how she manages to co-opt other causes for abortion, the way she did with #BlackLivesMatter.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

I see public schools observing various religious holidays as a totally separate issue from abortion. Are they really very similar? I realize Anna is speaking about them both because of her faith, but I think she has more of a leg to stand on being pro-life versus her public school thoughts. Or, am I thinking about this the wrong way? Is Anna being pro-life mostly thought of as her being not well educated and intolerant, as well? I'm just asking. Not inserting my own thoughts either way. Trying to better understand the posts here.

And I'm Amye w/a silent 'e'.

Can you explain how you say this?  "Aim"? "Am"? Or would it be "Aim-e" (so not really a silent e, because the e sound is clearly made, but a redundancy in the e and y?)

Edited by Skittl1321

Do Smuggar and Anna blanket train the M's?

I don't know, but I'm going to guess no. I don't think Smaggalicious was blanket trained, was he? I was under the impression that the hardcore fundie stuff started after the birth control fiasco. Anna, to her credit, seems to genuinely love her children enough not to beat them as babies, and they seem like active and curious kids.

I hate the hate Muslims or any other non "christian" religion gets. Christians are so damn hateful when things don't go their way. In the real world your child is going to come in contact with everyone. I had an atheist boss once. I worked with Jewish & Muslim people. And gasp gays. Are parents going to complain when their little honey bunches are in college and the college decides to observe Muslim Holidays or are parents going to their children's job to complain that they shouldn't allow gay people or Muslims to work there. Just shut up and deal with it

• Love 4

betweenyouandme: The intent on my earlier post about Anna's facebook was to convey that I am tired of Anna's page being all about the abortion issue, and political/religious controversy. I liked her page when it was a more personal-life one. I also have posted that I noticed since thedashingbenseewald has joined this group, Anna's page has become increasingly filled with anti-abortion posts. She is entitled to her opinion, but they are a one or two record "jukebox".

Yes, the school holiday matter is another subject but her posts about that annoyed me too. I'm not feeling too charitable towards Anna lately and I guess it's frustration partly with her desire to be a baby machine...it's all a competition with her. That's not a reason to bring a child in to this world...and that, too, is just my opinion..hope I made a little more sense here.

• Love 1

betweenyouandme: The intent on my earlier post about Anna's facebook was to convey that I am tired of Anna's page being all about the abortion issue, and political/religious controversy. I liked her page when it was a more personal-life one. I also have posted that I noticed since thedashingbenseewald has joined this group, Anna's page has become increasingly filled with anti-abortion posts. She is entitled to her opinion, but they are a one or two record "jukebox".

Yes, the school holiday matter is another subject but her posts about that annoyed me too. I'm not feeling too charitable towards Anna lately and I guess it's frustration partly with her desire to be a baby machine...it's all a competition with her. That's not a reason to bring a child in to this world...and that, too, is just my opinion..hope I made a little more sense here.

Yes, thank you for taking the time to write :) I was trying to understand. I'm not on FB or look at Anna's page, so I just read what's here.

I'm another who doesn't read Duggar media. It's not as though I can't tell you with reasonable accuracy what they are likely to say on any given topic. It's not as though they are outside of the boundaries of their own culture, socially or politically. In those regards, they are simply an echo chamber, which is why I'm glad TLC chooses not to show that aspect of their lives.

I think the thing about the adult Duggar kids/spouses posting about or getting involved in politics is that it doesn't seem that they're presenting well-thought out arguments, necessarily, just trotting out one-liners ("more children killed by abortion than in the Holocaust"-type statements).  (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, I only idly follow them on social media) If one of them were to write a blog with well-worded, well-researched, and well-presented arguments about this or that political issue, that would be different. I don't think it's fair to completely dismiss their beliefs just because one disagrees with them, but I also don't think they're doing a very good job at all "advocating" for their political beliefs. Generally I prefer social media to be about cute pictures of kids, what people are eating for dinner, and funny cat pictures. :-)

Regarding the school days off thing, Mr. DVD, who works for the local public school, told me that 75% of students have to be in attendance for the day to "count" toward the state-mandated total hours of instruction, in the state of Michigan. I assume other states have similar guidelines, SO if a school has 30% Muslims, who all skip school on a Muslim holiday, they HAVE to make up the day elsewhere so it's pretty idiotic to not have a school holiday that day. I've seen stuff online about schools pandering to Muslims (I have no idea as to the accuracy), but this ain't it. 

• Love 1

Can you explain how you say this? "Aim"? "Am"? Or would it be "Aim-e" (so not really a silent e, because the e sound is clearly made, but a redundancy in the e and y?)

It's Amee. Long story short, both my grandmother's were Amy. So my mom called me AmyE (after my middle initial). With 3 Amys in my class, I changed it, but not the pronunciation.

For thw record, I have seen it one other time.

Hi! I've been looking at this forum for quite a while but this is the first time I have participated in the dialogue.  

What Anna said about holidays (specifically special Muslim "holidays") shows she really does not know how days are chosen as "no school' days.  As someone said upthread, It really has to do attendance.  Schools receive money based on how many students are present.  In my district we have the whole week of Thanksgiving off.  Why?  Because so many students are absent.  The students go out of town with their families, stay home to help prepare, whatever - they are not in school.  The district has the discretion to choose what days are "no school" days.  The same thing with Good Friday.  We have a very large population of Catholics.  So what day do they get off in addition to Spring Break?  Good Friday of course!  Attendance is low because it is a day to pray, meditate, attend special mass.  Do I teach that to my students?  Of course not.  To be honest, I just think to myself,  "An extra day to rest!"  

The way the school year is structured is different from one district to another.  My friend teaches at a different district than I do, and her days "off" are sometimes different than mine.  Again it has to do with daily attendance.  We just have to make sure our school year adds up to 183 days for the year.  

To get back to Anna, I guess what bothers me is her children don't go to school (much less public schools) AND she doesn't live in New York - So it wouldn't affect her even if she did send her children to school!

• Love 7

I'm amazed at the misinformation about the Crusades.  After the death of Mohammed the Muslims conquered Asian and northern African states and the Holy Land.  They were also moving into Europe.  I spent a long time as a tour guide and was stunned to have people be so surprised at the architecture of, say, Spain.  Conquerers always leave something behind, and the Crusades went on for hundreds of years.  The goal, as it always is, is power and territory.  I don't really accept religious war theories in general because ultimately it's power.  Egypt was a great Christian country until they were overrun and now exist very little as Coptic Christians whose churches are being burned and people slain as well as discriminated against in jobs, welfare, education.  I live also in a very diverse area and love to hear stories.  

• Love 3

The calm and mature discussion of religious holidays and history is appreciated, but it's not exactly on topic here. The Small Talk thread would be a good place for it. Many conversations can be ongoing  at once in that thread.

Thanks!

• Love 1

I had a dream that Josh and Anna let Mckynzie attend public school and I was the teacher. In my dream, I couldn't get over how smart she was for a little one. I was sad because I was trying to play duck, duck goose with her and the other children and Mckynzie didn't know how to play "normal kids" games.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 4

I was sad because I was trying to play duck, duck goose with her and the other children and Mckynzie didn't know how to play "normal kids" games.

I hadn't thought of that before.  I know that this has come up before but usually parents who home-school kids try to meet up with other home-school families so that the kids don't miss out on socializing but the Duggars don't seem to to do that (besides the Bates visits).  

At least with the 19, there are playmates but for the M kids, only 2 are old enough to play together and it is difficult to play duck-duck-goose, tip or even go-fish with 2.  I haven't seen any playdates or many visits to the playground where they could play group activities.  

The whole point of Gothardism is to isolate into solely a family unit. From home life to school life to church life - it's the family and nothing else. In some ways, being so large, families like the Duggars and the Bates' were more fortunate in that there were more people to do more things. In a family of, say, 7-10, the options would have been much more limited.

The whole point of Gothardism is to isolate into solely a family unit. From home life to school life to church life - it's the family and nothing else. In some ways, being so large, families like the Duggars and the Bates' were more fortunate in that there were more people to do more things. In a family of, say, 7-10, the options would have been much more limited.

I've read about this Gothard obsession with the family unit being the sole provider of... well everything really, but I've never understood the point of it. Why is it so important that your immediate family is the only significant point of contact with humanity that you have? Why do your kids have to do everything together at all times no matter how old they are? What is the purpose? How do they think it will benefit their kids, being so isolated from society? I mean, even in an insular group like the Amish there is a whole culture with family and neighbours and an extensive support system that share the same beliefs, but the Gothard families all seem isolated even from each other, aside from a few conferences here and there. It seems like such a lonely life.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 8

Insecure parents that need to follow a strict recipe for happiness seem to be their target group. I think they could care less about the kids, it's all about Mama and Daddy, not grandparents, children, or grandchildren. Just the parent's greatness.

• Love 8

Insecure parents that need to follow a strict recipe for happiness seem to be their target group. I think they could care less about the kids, it's all about Mama and Daddy, not grandparents, children, or grandchildren. Just the parent's greatness.

Agree. Besides your own kids - or your own parents - would always tend to look pretty good to you if that's all you ever saw. But if you got to see how kids in our families lived, or different rules laid out by other parents etc, you might really start thinking "Gee I guess there are other valid ways to live etc..." I don't know if Boob would be angry, shattered or just what if there ever turn out to be "defections" among his own kids, but whatever he feels it will be made even worse on account of his public profile.

It's about control. Gothard can't control his followers if they are seeing too much of the outside world, and always remember what he promises parents first and foremost: children who WILL NOT REBEL. Every bit of exposure and interaction with anyone from the outside world puts that promise at risk.

• Love 5

I actually agree with Anna. The government goes above and beyond to remove any aspects of Christianity from the school system, but now they're observing Muslim holidays. Obviously this doesn't affect the M'kids, but I don't think Anna is entirely off base with her comments.

Are they observing Muslim holidays? I thought they just had a non-school day on their calendar scheduled around the date of a Muslim holiday just as we do for Christmas. If there is an actual Holy Day observance for Muslims and not for Christians or Jews, that would be wrong. If it's a schedule on the school calendar and treated like Christmas, then it seems equal to me. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 5

Are they observing Muslim holidays? I thought they just had a non-school day on their calendar scheduled around the date of a Muslim holiday just as we do for Christmas. If there is an actual Holy Day observance for Muslims and not for Christians or Jews, that would be wrong. If it's a schedule on the school calendar and treated like Christmas, then it seems equal to me.

The school is just closed. Like it is on President's Day and MLK Day and Labor Day. On the Muslim holidays, the Muslim kids will be celebrating the holiday at home, and the other kids will be rotting their brains with TV and video games. Anna is just showing off her ignorance. But, that's a Duggar trait, so. . .good for her? ;)

• Love 7

I grew up having all the Jewish holidays off.  Nope, we didn't celebrate them, nor did the school.  Just another day off for us!

• Love 1

I grew up having all the Jewish holidays off.  Nope, we didn't celebrate them, nor did the school.  Just another day off for us!

I believe that is precisely the right thing for schools to do. It is one of the very good things about a pretty fair measure of local control for the public schools -- they can respond to their immediate community. And there is a healthy tension in the separation of church and state. It benefits all religions in the end. Our founding fathers and mothers were exceedingly wise. 

• Love 6

This morning, I saw the episode where Josh and Anna move to DC.  You have to give them some credit - I would have gone off on my parents had they not brought my stuff because a "3 hour visit with the Bateses" turned into a 36 hour visit. "We lost track of time" makes sense if you spend 4-5 hours instead of 3.  Not when you spend an additional 33 hours.

This morning, I saw the episode where Josh and Anna move to DC. You have to give them some credit - I would have gone off on my parents had they not brought my stuff because a "3 hour visit with the Bateses" turned into a 36 hour visit. "We lost track of time" makes sense if you spend 4-5 hours instead of 3. Not when you spend an additional 33 hours.

I've been having a Duggar marathon today, and I also have to give Smuganna some credit. That 36 hour "visit" with the Bateses would have driven me insane (not to mention how the Bates family must have felt. I guess they like rowdy, inconsiderate house guests?). Boob had no concept of the fact that Josh had a (relatively) real job, where he had to show up on time, and how if would be kinda nice to have his wife and 3 kids at least a little bit settled in to their new house before he had to start his new job. It really looks like Josh and Anna are over "Duggar time" now that they have to live on real world time.

• Love 3

I've been having a Duggar marathon today, and I also have to give Smuganna some credit. That 36 hour "visit" with the Bateses would have driven me insane (not to mention how the Bates family must have felt. I guess they like rowdy, inconsiderate house guests?). Boob had no concept of the fact that Josh had a (relatively) real job, where he had to show up on time, and how if would be kinda nice to have his wife and 3 kids at least a little bit settled in to their new house before he had to start his new job. It really looks like Josh and Anna are over "Duggar time" now that they have to live on real world time.

I usually don't hate Michelle, but the laughing look on her face when she said "I guess they can sleep in their RV in front of their house!" and snickered had me raging on Anna's behalf.  Marcus was about a week old? Anna was likely still bleeding, leaking, etc.  She traveled like a trooper because they needed to get their for Josh's job (though I think I would have sent him ahead and followed in a plane after I had recovered from birth).  But her inlaws can't be bothered to fulfill the favor they agreed to.  I mean, I know you take what you can get when you want free help, but it just screamed lack of character on behalf of the older Duggars to me.

JB and Michelle could have easily stopped by the Bates family's house on their way BACK TO Arkansas and would have been on their own time at that point. Staying longer than they had planned was totally unacceptable behavior IMO, as caring parents that they profess to be..Having said that, this family moves around like vagabond penniless trash, I don't care if they are in their $250,000 motor home or not. It's their behavior, demeanor and style that matters. One can travel in an old Volkswagen "bus" and conduct themselves with dignity, grace and a set of ethics in following through on a previous agreement. They are a circus act on the road..not much more. It was also totally inconsiderate to have Anna move days after delivering a baby. No one in their right minds would put their wife and brand new newborn through that. Yes, I agree that Anna was most likely still bleeding, etc and SORE....all of her labors are difficult and intense..she might be able to dust herself off right now, as the is in her mid 20s, but wait a few years, that girl is aging like a workhorse and will be worse for the wear by the time she hits 30. You just don't (thumbs up!) bounce back so easily after that with pregnancy after pregnancy.

• Love 4

JB and Michelle could have easily stopped by the Bates family's house on their way BACK TO Arkansas and would have been on their own time at that point. Staying longer than they had planned was totally unacceptable behavior IMO, as caring parents that they profess to be..Having said that, this family moves around like vagabond penniless trash, I don't care if they are in their $250,000 motor home or not. It's their behavior, demeanor and style that matters. One can travel in an old Volkswagen "bus" and conduct themselves with dignity, grace and a set of ethics in following through on a previous agreement. They are a circus act on the road..not much more. It was also totally inconsiderate to have Anna move days after delivering a baby. No one in their right minds would put their wife and brand new newborn through that. Yes, I agree that Anna was most likely still bleeding, etc and SORE....all of her labors are difficult and intense..she might be able to dust herself off right now, as the is in her mid 20s, but wait a few years, that girl is aging like a workhorse and will be worse for the wear by the time she hits 30. You just don't (thumbs up!) bounce back so easily after that with pregnancy after pregnancy.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but stopping on the way back would also have allowed JB to give the Bates more than 3 hours notice. I mean, Gil could have said no, but that would have been awkward. He may have even felt he "had" to invite them to spend the night.  

I think Josh should have looked out for his wife and had her and the 3 kids fly.  I'm sure one of the J girls would have been happy to accompany them - only help with 3 kids instead of like 10?  Good deal for Jill, Jana, Jinger, or Jessa!