Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Tikichick said:

I think perhaps there is some confusion about what an appeal actually is.   Absolutely if you are convicted you are entitled to court appointed counsel to "perfect your appeal".   That doesn't mean that you get a trial.   It means your appellate counsel would obtain transcripts of all hearings, look at your defense attorney's case files and other information and submit briefs to the appellate court outlining legal reasons and any alleged palpable legal errors associated with your case that should be taken up on appeal.   Most of the time appeals end when the appellate court denies whatever is raised in those briefs and that is the end of the appeal.    Because most of it is administrative in nature and the only "ruling" of the appeals court is a denial to hear an appeal (have a trial on it), to most observers and defendants it seems they never got an appeal.    

Ah, ok. The two federal trials I'm personally familiar with (witness, plaintiff) are civil trials, currently in ongoing appeals processes, which are of course not entitled to court appointed counsel.

And I can definitely attest to hearing defendants claim that they never got an appeal!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

If any of you are praying folks, maybe y'all could say a prayer for the sisters, the other siblings, Anna's kids (maybe Anna too) and the nieces and nephews. This can't be easy on any of them, regardless of what they hoped for.

Please don't include Amy.

Josh certainly caused a hell of a lot of collateral damage and anguish with his "victimless" crime.    

Just now, YupItsMe said:

I imagine Michelle and Mrs. Keller weren’t at the trial because CSAM would be discussed. Michelle may be there for sentencing though.

She better brace herself, because the sentencings I'm used to are when the gloves really come off and there isn't a lot of varnish covering graphic discussions from the prosecution side at that point.

• Useful 8
  • Love 11

Derick Dillard is reacting to the news that Josh Duggar was found guilty Thursday on two charges of receiving and possessing child sexual abuse material. 

Outside of the courthouse after the verdict was served, Derick told PEOPLE why he and wife Jill (Duggar) Dillard, Josh's younger sister, had attended some parts of the trial. (Jill, 30, appeared at Wednesday's proceeding but was not present for the verdict on Thursday). 

"We just wanted to, among other things, see the facts for ourselves," he said, adding, "America is the best country to get justice." 

• Useful 3
  • Love 20

I just want to join the chorus celebrating his conviction.  What an awful excuse for a human being.  I hadn't been aware the trial started, so I wasn't following it, and it sounds like it was interesting.  The question of whether they could raise the past history of molestation is an important evidentiary issue. 

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I don’t know if it’s customary to be remanded into custody until sentencing but boy, Jesus was I happy to hear he was taken straight to lock up. 
I was so anxious last night, I was praying for this outcome. 

Oh and Justin? This would be the appropriate time for a “thumbs up”, son. 

You and Mrs. Reber both, no doubt.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I'm pretty sure Josh's lawyer (Gelfand) must be Jewish.  He went to Brandeis and Wash U. law school.    Very interesting choice for the fundies!

Aww fuck he went to Brandeis? 

I mean, we still have Abbie Hoffman and the creators of Friends as more famous alums at least. 

Also, obligatory: Brandeis is not officially a Jewish school, and not all students are Jewish. When I went there I would say it was 50/50 and trending down. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, questionfear said:

Aww fuck he went to Brandeis? 

I mean, we still have Abbie Hoffman and the creators of Friends as more famous alums at least. 

Also, obligatory: Brandeis is not officially a Jewish school, and not all students are Jewish. When I went there I would say it was 50/50 and trending down. 

Also my paralegal (and high school classmate).  Fuck, though--right?  The lawyer is a former federal prosecutor.  I'm sure he was paid A LOT.  The fundies from the Duggars' sect aren't allowed to go to school, even, so they're not turning out any lawyers. 

• Love 10

I was at the dentist when the verdict came in, and it was a long appointment, but when I saw the memes on Reddit Duggar/Snark, I knew the results were RIGHT ON.
Thank you, jurors! You’re not the unwashed knuckle-draggers I feared you might be.
All hail the Justice system (at least in this instance) and let’s drink to a looooong sentence!
The “star-struck” comments have me absolutely rolling!

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, christine falls said:

I'm sure Josh will be glad to know he's trending on twitter in the US. 😆😆

The only time during all of this, that I was ok with seeing his smug ass face on my Facebook and Twitter feed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

Anna was "completely stoic," according to the Sun reporter.

I wonder if she's honestly just relieved maybe. I know she believes he's innocent but in her heart she's just got to know.

At some point she may celebrate that he won't be sweating all over her for a long time. I think I heard her uterus scream out in celebration!

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

You know I honestly think they did.  Not because his defense was so hot - it wasn't - but because they both think being a Duggar makes them special.

I fear that, if accurate, this bit from The Sun about today's response from Mr. Big Grinnin' Thumbs Up suggests that, yeah, he too believes that Josh is innocent and expected the verdict would exonerate him...... "Justin Duggar was also present in the courtroom when the verdict was read and was emotional, according to the Sun reporter, who said Josh Duggar's brother cried when the verdict was read."

I very much don't want to conclude that. But I think it's pretty likely.

If they'd said that Justin just looked very sober today when the verdict was read, then I wouldn't have this opinion. But to me Justin's tears suggest shock at something that was previously unthinkable, just the way his thumbs-up didn't look put on but real and suggested delusional optimism to me......And I doubt that he's cynical enough to have been delusionally optimistic about the prospect of "Hey, he did this, but no biggie; he'll get off!" 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 21

The press conference from the prosecution is up if you want to watch it. I think I came in pretty late on it, but someone in the Reddit comments pointed out that around 2:10 some apparently random passerby asks if the Josh Duggar verdict has come in, and when the reporters tell her he's guilty, she cheers. It all happens off camera but is worth a listen.

Edit: it apparently takes a while to get to the actual talk since they're camped outside the door for a while.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 7
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

There's a video on reddit of Anna and the others leaving the courthouse. She is power walking fast

Anna wore the defrauding zipper dress. JB stayed silent? 

Aaww Hilary was there! 

Is Michelle home taking Xanax? She seems like she is on some kind of medication.

• Love 6