Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Talking about the Redemption Bus tour, I wonder what happened to the Smugs Winnebago/motor home? The ancient one that kept falling apart on their family trip to Chicago. Maybe they are following in the Jill Rodrigues family ways & are living in it.

• Love 6

This "fire" the Duggars keep referencing... they realize it's a self-imposed "fire", right? The entire media shitstorm is a result of their misdeeds. How can they not see that?

Because it's so much easier to blame Satan and his liberal-minded minions than take personal responsibility for the entire debacle.

​There are none so blind as those who will not see.  A saying from my childhood, yet pretty accurate here I'd say. 

• Love 5

Phase one: release rumours that Smuggs may go on redemption tour. Let the public mull it over so that it isn't as shocking when it happens. Feel out the fundies to see if this is something they will support. 

• Love 10

True enough! Though, to be fair, it's not anything explicit that will do it. I think women (or at least me) will react just as strongly (and maybe more emotionally) to a male "countenance" without anything much more on display as a man will to a scantily clad female. Much easier to get away with!

Granted, but this isn't a fundie conviction alone based upon women "being able to ignore" visuals.  I feel like I've spent half my life being told that men whose countenance the idea of as much as kissing, literally repulsed me; should be given a chance because it's the heart (and sometimes bank account), that counts, and not something as trivial as the arrangement of his facial features.  Women are in fact often being lectured and warned that handsome-faced men are dirty dogs, who will do them no good and only ever harm.  

... Largely, I will grant this has proven to be true.

...Then I think, Gee, it must suck to be a man with a handsome countenance and be shy and withdrawn, right?  These types of men want love too, and must exist out there.

• Love 3

I think I found the job that King Boob has in mind for Smuggs

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Groom-of-the-Stool/

I think that Boob really despises his son right now. He's been conspicuously absent from talking heads and only Googly Eyes has made any posts. It must suck to be Smuggs right now.

As narcisstic as Boob is...I just don't see how he's keeping mum, being the attention whore that he is. Tabloid rumors are also running rampant that his and Googly's marriage is on the rocks thanks to Smuggs' behavior.

Not sure what happened to an earlier post I'd made. Maybe the mods moved it might not have had enuf Smuggs content.k

• Love 4

Ok. I'm a not too frequent watcher of the past show & the (gag) newest one.

However, I have to report a .....drumroll...real Smuggar sighting!

Mr Jumbo & I & the littlest Jumbo were out in Springdale yesterday buying couches at a furniture store. I saw a bliond guy walk in & thought "he kind of looks like TFDW". Turned around & there was Anna holding M4. And I'm assuming that was her sister next to TFDW (or 2 of J & A's friends if I'm wrong).

I was trying not to obviously stare. Anna was decked out in leather jacket, knee length skirt & ankle booties & full makeup. She looked prettier & thinner than she does on tv. (Making me wonder if the rumor that she is trying to look good for Smugs is true). Smugger looked MUCH thinner than on tv. Maybe the stress is getting to him. They both looked happy & were passing the baby back & forth while they were talking with the other couple.

I'm sure they thought I was a heathen with my (gasp) pants & (gasp) short hair.

• Love 16

Thank you, Mick's Picks! I was so engrossed in trying to keep up with just the Duggar topics here that I was getting eye strain from reading off of my phone & seriously neglecting the housework. So I took a break & occasionally pop on to try to catch up where I left off. These Duggar forums move much faster than other shows!

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that TLC is filling the Duggar coffers with another show. I thought it would have been a valuable lesson to the family to actually entertain the thought of having to get REAL jobs to provide for their families (& future families) instead of relying on famewhoring themselves on a reality show.

• Love 6

Mr Jumbo & I & the littlest Jumbo were out in Springdale yesterday buying couches at a furniture store. I saw a bliond guy walk in & thought "he kind of looks like TFDW". Turned around & there was Anna holding M4. And I'm assuming that was her sister next to TFDW (or 2 of J & A's friends if I'm wrong).

I was trying not to obviously stare. Anna was decked out in leather jacket, knee length skirt & ankle booties & full makeup. She looked prettier & thinner than she does on tv. (Making me wonder if the rumor that she is trying to look good for Smugs is true). Smugger looked MUCH thinner than on tv. Maybe the stress is getting to him. They both looked happy & were passing the baby back & forth while they were talking with the other couple.

Josh probably lost weight at reform school, where his diet was controlled and he was without junk food.

I wish you could have snapped a picture!

• Love 2

Wow, that's the first confirmed Josh sighting I've heard about! I'm jealous but thanks for reporting! Could they tell you recognized them? And did anyone else seem to? I would have been very tempted to follow them around at an inconspicuous distance and try to listen in!

• Love 3

When I first saw Anna I did a double take & she was looking at me so I'm fairly certain she knew she was recognized. I did have my phone & could have taken a photo but couldn't think of a way to do it without looking obvious.

• Love 5

I was trying not to obviously stare. Anna was decked out in leather jacket, knee length skirt & ankle booties & full makeup. She looked prettier & thinner than she does on tv. (Making me wonder if the rumor that she is trying to look good for Smugs is true).

So she was basically the fundie equivalent of Sandy at the End of Grease? 

• Love 14

Thanks for reporting in on the Smugs sighting. Too bad they weren't filming at the store or you may have ended up seeing Sierra as well. I can picture her showing up for whatever reason just to be on TV.

I still can't wrap my head around their way of thinking. Josh was the one who did wrong but Anna has been brainwashed it was her fault & she's the one who is expected to change & make their life better so he won't stray again. (Yeah, right.) I wonder what happens if the roles were reversed, that Anna did the stepping out. Would Josh-U-a be expected to change his looks & ways & be told it was his fault? I doubt it. Anna would be shunned & called out for doing this ungodly horrific thing to the family & kicked to the street. Case closed.

• Love 8

The girls are allowed to have smart phones. Their skewed reasoning is that guys have sexual responses to pictures and females don't. Females are turned on by emotions. 

I'm actually am giggling out loud. That is just so effed up.

Females are turned on by "date nights", taking cutesy photos of themselves sharing a milkshake (or a frappuccino) with their husband, putting said photo through the appropriate filters and then posting them on Instagram with hashtags like #datenight #blessed #love.

Even though Boob has probably forbidden Joshie from ever owning a smartphone again, I'll bet he's spending every waking moment trying to figure out how to get his creepy hands on one. Josh is one sneaky bastard. He won't be able to purchase one in Tonitown or the surrounding areas, but I wouldn't put it past him to slap on a disguise, slink into a store and pay for a new iPhone in cash.

• Love 6

I wonder what happens if the roles were reversed, that Anna did the stepping out. Would Josh-U-a be expected to change his looks & ways & be told it was his fault? I doubt it. Anna would be shunned & called out for doing this ungodly horrific thing to the family & kicked to the street. Case closed.

Even worse. Anna wouldn't be shunned (assuming she herself didn't take the initiative to leave)--her life would become hell on Earth. Her "transgression" would be held over her head for the rest of her life, mark her with a scarlet letter, her family and cult would publicly humiliate her, hold her husband up as a godly example of a good Christian man who has to put up with a wayward female (no matter what role he may have played in her straying in the first place, from neglect to straight up physical and sexual abuse), and her already impossibly short leash would be strangling her. No six months in Jesus jail followed by a redemption tour and a husband who forgives like Jesus does for her. Guaranteed.

• Love 7

Prepare yourselves for marriage counseling seminars led by Josh and Anna, where they share their secrets of rebuilding a marriage after a major crisis.  Fundie couples will pay hundreds of dollars to spend two days crammed into the sanctuary (or sanctinasium) of a megachurch to lap up their words of wisdom.  There will be merch tables in the lobby, including "his" repentance/testimony book about the road back, and the inevitable "jointly written" book about saving their marriage. (Both ghost-written, of course).  Possibly even a set of DVDs and a workbook with lesson and exercises based on extremely questionable biblical exegesis.

Some marketing executive with a Christian PR firm will be charged with coming up with a schmoopy but earnest catchphrase for the whole thing, like "Love Works" or "True Love Never Fails" or something equally ridiculous (probably recycling, but not really understanding, language from I Corinthians 13).  That phrase will be printed on bumper stickers, keychains, posters, T-shirts and bookmarks, also for purchase in the lobby.  They will team up with Christian bookseller Mardel to "write" and market daily devotional books and calendars on the theme of love and strong marriages.  They might even team up with a group of popular contemporary Christian singers/songwriters or bands out of Nashville who will put out an album with a collection of songs about the true meaning of Christian love, at least one song off which will be sung at every Fundie wedding for the next 10 years.

Trust me.  I've been in the (Fundie-adjacent) Christian church world for a looooong time.  It's coming.

You are fortunately brilliant and unfortunately spot on.

• Love 4

Prepare yourselves for marriage counseling seminars led by Josh and Anna, where they share their secrets of rebuilding a marriage after a major crisis.  Fundie couples will pay hundreds of dollars to spend two days crammed into the sanctuary (or sanctinasium) of a megachurch to lap up their words of wisdom.  There will be merch tables in the lobby, including "his" repentance/testimony book about the road back, and the inevitable "jointly written" book about saving their marriage. (Both ghost-written, of course).  Possibly even a set of DVDs and a workbook with lesson and exercises based on extremely questionable biblical exegesis.

Some marketing executive with a Christian PR firm will be charged with coming up with a schmoopy but earnest catchphrase for the whole thing, like "Love Works" or "True Love Never Fails" or something equally ridiculous (probably recycling, but not really understanding, language from I Corinthians 13).  That phrase will be printed on bumper stickers, keychains, posters, T-shirts and bookmarks, also for purchase in the lobby.  They will team up with Christian bookseller Mardel to "write" and market daily devotional books and calendars on the theme of love and strong marriages.  They might even team up with a group of popular contemporary Christian singers/songwriters or bands out of Nashville who will put out an album with a collection of songs about the true meaning of Christian love, at least one song off which will be sung at every Fundie wedding for the next 10 years.

Trust me.  I've been in the (Fundie-adjacent) Christian church world for a looooong time.  It's coming.

And don't forget the ending of the cycle, when the public loses their fascination with them because they aren't pedaling anything new/interesting/Josh hasn't re-offended, all of this crap ends up at your local Dollar Tree, where it is fodder for joke birthday presents and White Elephant exchanges.

• Love 11

I agree 100%.

Im an ex Fund (lite) and still have many friends who are Fund.

They will be snapping up the devotionals, self help books and Anna/josh's diary. Plus a calendar daily with marriage verses.

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 4

And don't forget the ending of the cycle, when the public loses their fascination with them because they aren't pedaling anything new/interesting/Josh hasn't re-offended, all of this crap ends up at your local Dollar Tree, where it is fodder for joke birthday presents and White Elephant exchanges.

From shopping the bargain bins to occupying them--the Duggars come full circle.

• Love 10

Some marketing executive with a Christian PR firm will be charged with coming up with a schmoopy but earnest catchphrase for the whole thing, like "Love Works" or "True Love Never Fails" or something equally ridiculous (probably recycling, but not really understanding, language from I Corinthians 13).

I'm glad "Fireproof" is already taken. These classes are gonna be the vaguest shit ever, too, with absolutely no actionable advice. The humpers will eat it up with a spoon.

And don't forget the ending of the cycle, when the public loses their fascination with them because they aren't pedaling anything new/interesting/Josh hasn't re-offended,

I'm kind of shocked this hasn't happened yet. The scandal is the only thing keeping the show, and the brand, going. It'll get old fast.

• Love 1
Josh is one sneaky bastard. He won't be able to purchase one in Tonitown or the surrounding areas, but I wouldn't put it past him to slap on a disguise, slink into a store and pay for a new iPhone in cash.

It is possible to obtain a $150 burner smart phone. The data/all smart phone capabilities are as little as $55 per month. Joshley Madison can't take the risk that he will be found out, so getting a new iPhone (with the expense involved in data plans) would be difficult at best.

It'll be interesting to see how long he manages to hang onto whatever phone he gets his mitts on.

• Love 1

It is possible to obtain a $150 burner smart phone. The data/all smart phone capabilities are as little as $55 per month. Joshley Madison can't take the risk that he will be found out, so getting a new iPhone (with the expense involved in data plans) would be difficult at best.

It'll be interesting to see how long he manages to hang onto whatever phone he gets his mitts on.

FWIW, many grocery stores/convenience stores/etc in my area sell brand new $20-50 Android smart phones, with $20-30 plans. Not top of the line, mind you, but perfectly fine for Josh'd pervy uses. Don't forget they love pawn shops too, where you can get a used iPhone for a song.

Josh got 5-7 years good behavior out of his last stint in rehab Maybe this time he can go a decade before he re-offends. OK, maybe not.

I'm still curious to see how he's gonna support his family. He basically just up and left without a public word about finances. Not everyone with four kids and an idoit unemployed wife can run away for six months and not feel financial burn. The severance couldn't have been that large.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 5
The severance couldn't have been that large.

I think the agreement that he resign quickly and quietly was that he was paid through the end of 2015. I also wonder how much (if any) profit was made when Jim Boob sold their house out from under Anna and the kids. One can only imagine that Jim Boob wasn't generous with what he saw as his son's money. Plus, Anna and the kids were living in the TTH.

Joshley Madison's room and board was $7500, IIRC, and most likely paid by his parents.

Anna's the breadwinner now and most likely signs over her TLC earnings to her headship and her father-in-law.

• Love 2

I think the agreement that he resign quickly and quietly was that he was paid through the end of 2015. I also wonder how much (if any) profit was made when Jim Boob sold their house out from under Anna and the kids. One can only imagine that Jim Boob wasn't generous with what he saw as his son's money. Plus, Anna and the kids were living in the TTH.

I doubt very seriously that Josh was paid for the rest of the year when he resigned at the end of May, 2015.  The District of Columbia (D.C.) is an “employment-at-will” district. Therefore, an employer may generally terminate an employment relationship at any time and for any reason.  And in Josh's case, he resigned in utter disgrace and in lieu of being fired.  He could hardly continue his job as a spokesman for "family values" and anti-gay rights as an outed child molester.  

• Love 4

I'm glad "Fireproof" is already taken. These classes are gonna be the vaguest shit ever, too, with absolutely no actionable advice. The humpers will eat it up with a spoon.

"Demolishing Satan's Fortress"

"Walking Through This Season of Life"

"The Next 15 Minutes"

I have some nasty ones, too, but I won't go there. Yet.

• Love 6

Oh yes, you know what you're talking about and your prediction is, in my opinion, spot-on! It really bothers me that they'll probably make good money from ghost-written fluffy nonsense when there are so many actually talented writers struggling to get published.

He managed to spend big bucks on multiple Ashley Madison accounts without Anna's knowledge, so setting aside enough cash for a burner phone shouldn't be a problem.

• Love 5

Ah, but now JimBob is managing his finances, I suspect.  JB probably makes pre-ghostly-visit Scrooge look like a sailor on leave.  But yeah, I suspect he already has a dollar-store burner smart phone, and he's probably gotten a lot better at being sly online.

I just read what was called the Barney Frank rule, which was specifically was for anti-gay politicians but works for Duggars as well:

"I think there's a right to privacy. But the right to privacy should not be a right to hypocrisy. People who want to demonize other people shouldn't then be able to go home and close the door, and do it themselves."

Preach it, Barney!

• Love 8

Every time I see new posts in the Smuggar thread, I pray it's a sighting. Yay, thanks for the update.

Well, now, see, he's working his new profession already, and having results. He's got people praying more. The Ministry of Joshley the Redeemed and the Redeeming is already underway! Even Jizm Bob must be pleased.

Oh yes, you know what you're talking about and your prediction is, in my opinion, spot-on! It really bothers me that they'll probably make good money from ghost-written fluffy nonsense when there are so many actually talented writers struggling to get published.

Ditto for the current trend of "reality tv" shows, of course. Heaven forbid we should pay people who would like to write, direct and act well-constructed stories. Or people who would like to report and write interesting facts.      Let's just see if people will watch film of brainless boring people doing brainless boring things instead, with much less cash outlay required from us. Yay, they will!

• Love 3

I'm still curious to see how he's gonna support his family. He basically just up and left without a public word about finances. Not everyone with four kids and an idoit unemployed wife can run away for six months and not feel financial burn. The severance couldn't have been that large.

I would be greatly, greatly surprised if Josh saw anything other than accrued vacation time.  FRC most likely has several very strict morality clauses in their employee handbook and Josh most likely violated every single one of them.  It was probably resign  before we very publically terminate your ass.  Severance is usually paid when they have to separate you through no fault of your own and/or you got some really good shit on the company and you agree to sign an NDA. 

• Love 4

I get the porn thing and adultery, shit happens, porn is legal, but molesting his sisters? Is that not too cringe worthy for him to profit from? "I fiddled a 5 year old, but I'm here to tell you, you can be healed?" This Ashley Madison and porn thing has so overshadowed the real nasty shit, he is a genius if he planned it. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 6

I get the porn thing and adultery, shit happens, porn is legal, but molesting his sisters? Is that not too cringe worthy for him to profit from? "I fiddled a 5 year old, but I'm here to tell you, you can be healed?" This Ashley Madison and porn thing has so overshadowed the real nasty shit, he is a genius if he planned it. 

I think Duggar and genius are mutually exclusive words. ;) You're right, though, if he had planned it, it was a great diversion. No one is even alluding to the molestation on the show and we're the only ones still talking about it. It bothers me that they had all the over 18 Duggar boys do THs about Ashley Madison, but not even a word about the molestation. I'm not saying it was their fault -- we know the producers just wanted to move forward -- but still.

• Love 4

It bothers me even more that people will be looking to these two idiots for answers and help instead of meeting with their local pastor or a DEGREED, LICENSED THERAPIST.

Marriage counseling isn't a joke. And those who get the degree and go into the field deal with very tough situations. It is worth the time and the expense to get that professional help. My point, and I do have one: Instead of meeting with someone that might actually be able to help both parties decide whether the marriage is worth saving and ameliorate the effect on any children born of the relationship as much as possible, the leghumpers and their friends will be touting whatever BS Joshley Madison, Anna the doormat and their ghostwriter come up with.

This isn't an attempt to "help". It's a money grab. And it would be nice if someone, ANYONE grew a set and showed up at the inevitable book signings to tell them so. To their faces.

• Love 6

FRC most likely has several very strict morality clauses in their employee handbook and Josh most likely violated every single one of them.  It was probably resign  before we very publically terminate your ass.  Severance is usually paid when they have to separate you through no fault of your own and/or you got some really good shit on the company and you agree to sign an NDA. 

I don't believe this is the first time that FRC has had to terminate an employee due to their lack of morality. We're talking the right-wing here, the party of "do as I say, not as I am doing". IMHO of course; I need to do some more research. And I am still wondering if Joshley Madison was accessing porn on their computer network. They would NOT want that little factoid to get out at the least.

It's possible he also has some "really good shit" on them. This is someone who was so brazen he (allegedly) used another campaign's computers to access porn and didn't learn from his earlier (alleged) mistake. It's easy for them to keep paying his contract until it ran out until the end of the year as a way of keeping him quiet over what he might have known. Let's face it, anything's possible, but I think they wanted this over as quickly and quietly as possible, which means $$$.

• Love 2

Josh's Ashley Madison scandal was going to be a scandal no matter what.  I can't see them paying him a dime.  They really had no reason to do so.  They should and could have fired him on the spot so letting him resign was quite a gift.

• Love 4

It bothers me even more that people will be looking to these two idiots for answers and help instead of meeting with their local pastor or a DEGREED, LICENSED THERAPIST.

Marriage counseling isn't a joke. And those who get the degree and go into the field deal with very tough situations. It is worth the time and the expense to get that professional help. My point, and I do have one: Instead of meeting with someone that might actually be able to help both parties decide whether the marriage is worth saving and ameliorate the effect on any children born of the relationship as much as possible, the leghumpers and their friends will be touting whatever BS Joshley Madison, Anna the doormat and their ghostwriter come up with.

This isn't an attempt to "help". It's a money grab. And it would be nice if someone, ANYONE grew a set and showed up at the inevitable book signings to tell them so. To their faces.

But...but, because Jesus!

I doubt this bunch would consult anyone who could objectively evaluate whether the marriage is worth saving because, in their world, ending a a marriage is not even a concept. Marriage IS. And this duo is extra double-secret covenant married. There is no save the marriage. There is just make headship happy and all troubles will vanish. So, Jesus. Pray harder.

I hate being this cynical. I really do despair of voluntarily undereducated and emotionally stunted people signing up for what is essentially a life of bondage. It's not like they are (as far as we know) out in the world actively helping others like, say Jimmy Carter (who is of course an evil liberal). But boy, they sure can tap about the Lord without bothering to emulate him.

Well, all right, Anna is busy raising kids. But let's see Smug display some genuinely Christian actions. I'll wait right here.

• Love 5

it's not like they are (as far as we know) out in the world actively helping others like, say Jimmy Carter (who is of course an evil liberal).

Woah, woah...Tabbygirl, are you seriously suggesting that going to fake rehab, putting in can lights and letting us watch their date nights is not what Jesus would do? Next you'll be telling me that Jesus is all about helping the people that society judges and excludes. I think you need some time in the Church of the Holy Basement. Don't forget your flip-flops!

Man, I get super-sarcastic when I'm procrastinating!

• Love 7

Mrs. Jumbo said Josh and Anna looked happy at her Sam's furniture sighting to me that only means that Anna now is excited to have her garbage taker outer back and M5 is cooking away. Nothing says we are healed and soooo in love like a new blessing. No Redemption Tour would be complete without a preggo belly loud and proud up on stage.

• Love 7

Just to bring up the nasty thing called a fact, but Anna and Josh don't have a "covenant" marriage.  People can only get one of those in states with such a statute and Florida isn't one of them.  :) 

• Love 1

Mrs. Jumbo said Josh and Anna looked happy at her Sam's furniture sighting to me that only means that Anna now is excited to have her garbage taker outer back and M5 is cooking away. Nothing says we are healed and soooo in love like a new blessing. No Redemption Tour would be complete without a preggo belly loud and proud up on stage.

Oh absolutely. I'd bet every cent I have that Boob, Josh, the producers and a P.R. agent are strategizing different formulas for reintroducing him to the public.

TLC is clearly testing the waters with S1 of Jill & Jessa. It's started with discussion of Joshley's "bad choices." Next season we'll see glimpses of him in the background, but he'll have no lines or TH's. Then when Anna finally gets the band-aid baby she wants, the Redemption Tour will begin.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3