Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I read the article and was impressed -- not only am I not a conservative, but I am no fan of Michael Reagan in general. I think that his use of the president was a good analogy. I truly believe that if Josh Duggar had come from a religious African-American family, or from a well-to-do liberal family, these same people would not be defending him.

The reality is that we want "bad people" to *look* like bad people -- we want them to be "other" in some recognizable way. When you look at the early specials and see an eager and engaging young man in khakis and a polo shirt, it's hard to think of him as "bad." It's easy to see evil in mug-shots that we see in the newspapers or on television, and much harder to see evil and a fresh-faced young kid. And if we like someone, and can relate to that person (he's a good Christian), it's much easier to make excused for behavior we wouldn't excuse in anyone else.

While I disagree with Josh Duggar on every imaginable political and social issue, I was starting to like him a bit as person. It's been hard for me to reconcile the young man that I liked a bit with the predator he is -- it must be significantly harder for people who do like him, and do think that his is "one of them."

• Love 20
(edited)

Wait, so Josh lived there alone before he was married?

So, if I am understanding this correctly, Josh lost his bid to challenge restrictions that the DHS had in place against him and he had to move out of the family home.  

What did I miss? I just read the last few pages and didn't see anything about a house being bought for Josh to live in after the DHS hearing. If so, this is a very interesting new development. Josh got married in 2008, and they certainly could have gotten away with quietly moving him out and not telling anyone. It only would have been for a year so, and as long as he was there for filming the show, no viewer would have known the difference. 

A fundy I once knew who wrote the book "Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert" did have ONE good point: "Marriage doesn't cure sexual sin." Basically, the point is that getting married so that you have a "legitimate" outlet for your lusts doesn't actually solve the root of the problem. The Duggars, on the other hand, have made a big deal lately about their (Bill's, of course) view that engagements should be very short so the couple doesn't give into temptation. Then, a wife is required to have sex on command, so his problems are supposedly over. The massive problem of affairs/harassment/molestation in the fundy world would suggest otherwise. The problem is, as I think any psychologist would agree, that having marital sex is not a cure for the VERY grave issue of being tempted to molest young children. But in their world, I am almost sure that they hustled him into courtship and marriage because they were sure that sex was all he needed to keep under control. Well, for Mackynzie's sake, I sincerely hope his urges really have come to an end but I worry that statistics show that he quite possibly may still have them.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 4
(edited)

So, if I am understanding this correctly, Josh lost his bid to challenge restrictions that the DHS had in place against him and he had to move out of the family home.  

But .... if he had restrictions barring him from the family home, why was he living there?    That is where he was living, wasn't it?  

Why did he suddenly have to move out?  

Someone help me out here. 

I'm not really clear of the timing of everything, but the law in Arkansas is that homeschooling wouldn't be allowed in the same home as a sex offender:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/leavingfundamentalism/2015/05/29/had-josh-duggar-been-prosecuted-duggars-would-have-lost-the-right-to-home-school/?ref_widget=trending&ref_blog=lovejoyfeminism&ref_post=what-you-need-to-know-about-the-josh-duggar-police-report

Edited by HeyNow
  • Love 1

So if there was some issue with Josh living in the house after age 18, are there any episodes to back this up. 17 kids starts with Josh's courting & wedding so there was little footage at the TTH of daily activities we see all the time on 19 kids  like waking up late or bible time with daddy.. So thinking back to the specials, I only remember the girls room having specific beds. Did we ever see Josh in the dorm style bedrooms? I remember him being in his little studio room/closet but not in the bedrooms. If he didn't sleep in the dorm style room someone from TLC would have known.

• Love 1

Regarding why the therapist from the media wh  e Dr Drew did not visit with the older girls, it is perfectly appropriate that she speak to the little kids of similar ages, say 11 or 12 and under so that they knew what was appropriate and what to say and do.

I agree.  But the Duggers did not tell her that they wanted her to speak to the younger kids only.  Nothing wrong with that.  For whatever reason, they  "lied" and said all the older girls were at camp. And evidently they didn't think the older boys needed the information.  It seems John David and Joe (the confirmed bachelors) have freedom to come and go freely since they work on their own, I guess..

• Love 1
(edited)

I remember them having a PR person, but I think that person may be more for access to the radio and TV interviews, as well as the conduit to People. I remember it being a female. I am convinced that she has NO training in crisis management, because if the Duggars were taking her advice at the beginning of this, starting with Anna's statement, they have been steered totally wrong. That is, until they hunkered down and went dark. That is pretty much the only smart thing they've done in years. 

I think at this point, they have probably hired Sierra to be their PR person.  She can do anything you know.

ETA- Lottie Dottie, I just saw your post after posting this.  lol Great minds think alike.

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 4

Do we actually know about money laundering? I don't think so.

We have enough to talk about without speculating about things that could have happened.

Also, this is the Josh and Anna thread. Please discuss other topics in their appropriate threads.

I will hide a couple of posts now.

Thanks!

• Love 3

Long time lurker here... used to post TWOP.

Another thing to ponder about the timing of the house purchase and Josh moving out..

If he actually was no longer living in the TTH once the DPS got involved, I question whether him being with the family on trips could potentially be considered not following the ruling (since we don't know what was determined, it is speculation on my part.).

Wow Mrsjumbo, you have a whole lot of catching up to do. I suggest you either read these comments starting last Thursday or read more of the story online. The news broke on May 22nd. The girls were minors and their names have been withheld of course due to their ages.

Yes of course I've been keeping up with the story here (vs in the papers or on TV, LOL!). I guess to clarify my comment- why would anyone expect the Duggar girls to come out with a statement of forgiveness since "technically" they were not named? We all KNOW it was them but they aren't going to come out & admit it. I think with the Duggars the policy is "keep quiet & everything will go away" like they did with Josh.

Long time lurker here... used to post TWOP.

Another thing to ponder about the timing of the house purchase and Josh moving out..

If he actually was no longer living in the TTH once the DPS got involved, I question whether him being with the family on trips could potentially be considered not following the ruling (since we don't know what was determined, it is speculation on my part.).

I thought about that too- how many underage girls was he in close proximity to on trips?

• Love 5

I have to say?  and I am being super honest...

The thought of a spinoff with any of the girls is horrifying. You have to realize in your logical mind that JB and Michelle are the engine behind this. I have NO doubt that should this EVER come to fruition...it is on JB and Michelle's terms...and I would not doubt.one.bit. that TLC didn't know.

Ugh...UGH UGH UGH...just say no....even with  a spinoff  we would never truly be free of the "machine" behind this horrible crime. 

I think a spin off with poor wallflower Jana and kick ass Jinger living on their own, sans cult, would be worth watching....as long as all contracts, etc. were in their names only.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Regarding the FOX News/Megyn Kelly interview news:

Great. Another interview where Jim Bob approves the questions beforehand and coaches the kids on how to answer. Do you REALLY think that we'll get honest responses from the older girls? Fuck no. Jim Bob controls every word out of their mouths, just like he controls all the money that they were instrumental in helping him earn. TLC even admitted that the popularity and driving force of the show is the older daughters (which YOU KNOW just kills It's-All-About-MEE-chelle). But will they get to air their true feelings? Nope. We'll get Michelle's bug eyes and annoying kewpie doll voice and Jim Blob blathering on about God forgiving their special snowflake, Josh, while his daughters, the REAL victims, get to hold it all in and relive the violation and humiliation AGAIN. Great. This interview will be a whole lot of nothing.

The thought of those older girls having to sit there and listen to the excuses that Josh and their parents make up for the violations that they suffered, is disgusting.  FOX News is...well, it's FOX News. Megyn Kelly HAS gone after her interviewees at times, and she does have a law degree and can probably see through the bullshit, but Jim Bob NEVER would have consented to this if FOX didn't promise to maintain a tight leash on Kelly. She won't be able to freelance. And if she did, the girls would NEVER be permitted to say what they really feel.  

The LAST three people I want to hear from on this is Josh, Jim Bob and Michelle. And we all know that they'll be doing 80% of the talking.

I just took a look at fakejoshduggar.whatever. Wow. I now dislike this family and I am enjoying hearing others take on the situation, but a shit load of time and effort went into that site. That shows a great deal of focused rage. Who has time for such nonsense?

Same think that I always thought about the Gosselin hate sites, as well. Some people take snark to a whole new level. Not saying that Josh doesn't deserve vitriol (even more than Kate ever did), but wow. Anna and her kids DO NOT deserve it.

I actually left a Gosselin snarking site (created after TWOP shut down the J&K+8 thread permanently) when the snark turned really personal and creepy. So, I guess this doesn't surprise me, 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

I don't claim to be any kind of expert on what these folks think. As far as I know, though, they consider lust and masturbation to be sins equal in the eyes of the lord to fornication, which makes me doubt that they consider groping genitals to be less serious than intercourse.

No, from a sin standpoint, they do not.  However, the position statement was published as an answer to a question specifically about abortion in the context of "punish the person who committed the rape that created the child instead of punishing the child."  So the immediate context was definitely talking about intercourse.

I'll be saving that Josh interview for anyone who claims the Duggars never lied about what happened.  It's one thing to include something horrible you did as part of your "testimony," and I have many friends who do that (and do it well, by the way).  It's quite another to airbrush it and misrepresent the circumstances.  "I had the opportunity to go and work at a center for about three months in a Christian ministry" is a far cry from "I was really caught up in my sins and my parents enrolled me in a Christian treatment center to help me overcome it."  No matter which one of those is the real truth (whether he was working on the crew remodeling the IBLP building or whether he was a client of the program), there are records of some Duggar family member having said the opposite.

• Love 3

I agree.  But the Duggers did not tell her that they wanted her to speak to the younger kids only.  Nothing wrong with that.  For whatever reason, they  "lied" and said all the older girls were at camp. And evidently they didn't think the older boys needed the information.  It seems John David and Joe (the confirmed bachelors) have freedom to come and go freely since they work on their own, I guess..

Last year in 2014, Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar approached Erin Merryn after a scheduled appearance in Arkansas at a child abuse conference that they happened to be attending. "Erin’s Law'" requires that all public schools in each state that passes the law implement a prevention-oriented child sexual abuse program. "Erin's Law" had already gone into effect in Arkansas in 2013. After the event the Duggar's came to her and said "Erin, I know it's late but is there any way you can come into our home and talk to our children about Erin's Law?"  Erin was more than happy to go with them to their home, even at the late hour.

Erin was happy because her law only goes into public schools and the one place she can't get her message to is in home-school and she felt it was a perfect opportunity to go into their home and then maybe they could help her get her message into the home-schooling community. Erin was on CNN, here's the video

I'll be surprised if any of the older daughters appear for the interview.

I'll be surprised if any of the daughters is even mentioned. It'll be family this and family that, but zero acknowledgement that most of his victims were his sisters. If they can deflect this back out to what everyone thought at first, that he'd had some second-base experiences with other teens, they will.

It's the incest part that is most toxic and even they are smart enough to recognize that.

• Love 5

I'll be surprised if any of the daughters is even mentioned. It'll be family this and family that, but zero acknowledgement that most of his victims were his sisters. If they can deflect this back out to what everyone thought at first, that he'd had some second-base experiences with other teens, they will.

It's the incest part that is most toxic and even they are smart enough to recognize that.

Yes. And I expect they know that about the other most troubling issue. Don't think we'll hear much mention of the "one of them was five" (while the molester was 14) part either.

• Love 6

For me, it is not that it happened. Shocking but... It is not that they handled it badly. Who is prepared to handle something like this? They were sheltered, sought guidance from "church" leaders, got poor guidance, but we're probably told this is how it is handled. It is their ignorance, and the way they celebrate that ignorance. They take their ignorant opinions, and along with fellow ignoramuses, campaign to deny rights to a group of people that they know nothing about. The bible says not one word about homosexuality even existing let alone being forbidden. They pull a "message" out of some obscure reference and set about launching a campaign of hate and misinformation. But it does say in the bible "let he who is without sin....." Did they not read that part? How can Josh stand up in front of people preaching hate knowing what he did? And how can those who support them justify that support? All this damage control and spin. They messed up big time. They have been outed as the hypocrites they are and anyone who tries to justify it, be it sponsors of their show, those who watch, go to hear them speak, or buy their books is no better than them.

• Love 17

Regarding the FOX News/Megyn Kelly interview news:

Great. Another interview where Jim Bob approves the questions beforehand and coaches the kids on how to answer. Do you REALLY think that we'll get honest responses from the older girls? Fuck no. Jim Bob controls every word out of their mouths, just like he controls all the money that they were instrumental in helping him earn. TLC even admitted that the popularity and driving force of the show is the older daughters (which YOU KNOW just kills It's-All-About-MEE-chelle). But will they get to air their true feelings? Nope. We'll get Michelle's bug eyes and annoying kewpie doll voice and Jim Blob blathering on about God forgiving their special snowflake, Josh, while his daughters, the REAL victims, get to hold it all in and relive the violation and humiliation AGAIN. Great. This interview will be a whole lot of nothing.

The thought of those older girls having to sit there and listen to the excuses that Josh and their parents make up for the violations that they suffered, is disgusting.  FOX News is...well, it's FOX News. Megyn Kelly HAS gone after her interviewees at times, and she does have a law degree and can probably see through the bullshit, but Jim Bob NEVER would have consented to this if FOX didn't promise to maintain a tight leash on Kelly. She won't be able to freelance. And if she did, the girls would NEVER be permitted to say what they really feel.  

The LAST three people I want to hear from on this is Josh, Jim Bob and Michelle. And we all know that they'll be doing 80% of the talking.

None of the children will be interviewed. According to Deadline, the interview will just be with JB and Michelle. However, there will also be a one-hour Kelly File special on Friday night devoted to the Duggars. I imagine the kids might be featured in that.

• Love 4

Megyn Kelly isn't know for holding back. I have seen some very blistering (fights) interviews on her shows.

Not with people who are the darlings of the Religious Right.    She holds back plenty, because she's pretty much a stooge. 

• Love 19
(edited)

Not with people who are the darlings of the Religious Right. She holds back plenty, because she's pretty much a stooge.

I haven't seen that. I know she is a conservative but there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone can't be a liberal.

I watch her 1-2 times a week and at times am startled at how she really goes after her guests. Found out it will be on Wednesday and Friday.

I hope to never be on her bad side, that's for sure lol.

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 8
(edited)

Yes. The incest makes the situation most repulsive. Main stream media leaves that dirty detail out of their reporting.

Yes. And I expect they know that about the other most troubling issue. Don't think we'll hear much mention of the "one of them was five" (while the molester was 14) part either.

Josh, including the five year old in his sick act bothers me the most. Although, my heart goes out to all the girls, too.

None of the children will be interviewed. According to Deadline, the interview will just be with JB and Michelle. However, there will also be a one-hour Kelly File special on Friday night devoted to the Duggars. I imagine the kids might be featured in that.

I don't believe any of the girls/children will be heard from for quite a while.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 1

While I was trying to sleep last night, I started thinking about what I would do if my family was embroiled in this scandal. I can tell you without a doubt that my family would tuck our tail and run for the hills, never to be seen or heard from again. I think the fact that the Duggars want to continue to stay in the public eye via the show, or in any capacity really, speaks volumes about just how messed up that family really is.

• Love 22
(edited)

I'm wondering if the family is aware of how they are coming across?

Plus, I'm curious why the parents are being interviewed..but not the abuser..or is he? Probably smart that he isn't being interviewed but I can't see how it can help having his parents being interviewed?

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 4
Megyn Kelly isn't known for holding back. I have seen some very blistering (fights) interviews on her shows.

That's my take on her, too, but we also know Jim Bob. He doesn't do anything like this unless he has control over content. I don't really think they're at the desperation point yet, where he won't be able to make those demands. It's a hot topic and he still has defenders. Once the defenders jump ship, THEN he will no longer be able to control the situation.  I would love to see angry Megyn going after them. She's a mom.  However, I see FOX telling her that she cannot.  If it's going to be an hour of softball, I don't care to see that shit, 

• Love 7

I've been reading on here-- I'm only up to page 97-- but I wanted to say a few things.  Hopefully I'm allowed to still say these things, as I don't know after page 97 what the mods have said, besides what is up top.

First, I went to the Duggar Blog and left a comment that I doubt will be seen-- they have to be read and approved.  I was respectful but truthful.  The "truthful" part is why I know my comment will never be seen, especially after reading the comments that have been approved.

Anyway-- trigger warning-- my Mom was molested by more than one of her stepfathers as a child.  I'm a performer, and a few months ago I did a tribute piece to her and her experiences.  It makes me think of this situation with the Duggar girls now.  Mom died in 2007, and Dad and I only know bits and pieces of what she went through, based on what she said here and there.  Basically, it wasn't talked about, and she kept it to herself.  I've just been thinking a lot about Mom this past week.

I was watching the episode recently where the entire family was driving to DC to help Josh and Anna move there, and two of the older girls were driving in a truck alone in the line of vehicles going to DC.  I wonder what they were talking about, or how they were feeling?

• Love 6
I was watching the episode recently where the entire family was driving to DC to help Josh and Anna move there, and two of the older girls were driving in a truck alone in the line of vehicles going to DC.  I wonder what they were talking about, or how they were feeling?

I hope they had the radio blasting to Lady Gaga (or whoever the kiddos are listening to these days), and swearing up a storm.

• Love 12

My take on any interview is that if Boob gets wind that he is going to get attacked he will just cancel.

I don't think they can take the heat of hard questions and I would be delighted if they are going to have phone calls from the public asking questions!!!!! HA! Can you imagine Boob sweating.

• Love 4
(edited)

Megyn Kelly has Tony Perkins, Josh's old Boss from the FRC on her show all the time and agrees with his points. I think she was selected because of this and the interview with just Jim Bob and Michelle at their home has already been taped.

I would love it to be some hard hitting interview but I don't think we are going to learn anything new, just a bunch of God saved us during this time and forgiveness talk.

I just looked up Megyn and she issued a Pro-Josh statement on May 22nd. Forget a real interview.

http://megynkelly.org/159400/a-christian-defense-of-josh-duggar/

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 21

You could probably start a drinking game for the interview. Take a sip whenever they talk about how this happened when Josh was a teenager. Chug the whole bottle if they ever explicitly refer to "abuse" or "molestation." 

• Love 5
(edited)

I think if anyone shows emotion, it will be Jim Bob.  Michelle will just nod wide-eyed, and speaking very calmly, she'll minimize the molestation.  "Josh was in a molesting season of life...One of his little glitches...He had desires stirred up inside of him that could not righteously be fulfilled..."  Probably very little, if any mention of the girls and what they've been through.  At any rate, "it brought the family closer to God, God laid it on their hearts to forgive him..."  Yada, yada, yada. 

Edited by zenme
  • Love 22

I think a spin off with poor wallflower Jana and kick ass Jinger living on their own, sans cult, would be worth watching....as long as all contracts, etc. were in their names only.  

Wouldn't matter much considering that they belong to the Cathedral de Santo Jim Bob and will have to pay their tithes. 

• Love 7

As a former TWOP lurker and PT commenter, I just lurve the hell out of the clever nickname skilz on the boards. However, with this bunch it is starting to give me pause. Using nicknames for these people creates some distance and allows us to view them as characters in a story. These are all real human beings who have been through (and continue to go through) real pain. Yes, even Josh and his parents. I have empathy for them all, combined with deep sympathy for the victims. Several of us have ridiculed and decried the euphemism-laden speach of this clan; aren't we doing the same with the nicknames? Yep, the father is a boob and the mother is painfully self-centered. They are also parents who have spectacularly failed to protect the children who were under their care and created a decade-long spectacle out of whole cloth in which these young lives were entangled. I offer all of this without judgement and with love for all of the awesome commenters who have helped me get through this and other weird times with perspective and humor.

• Love 8
(edited)
I just looked up Megyn and she issued a Pro-Josh statement on May 22nd. Forget a real interview.

http://megynkelly.or...of-josh-duggar/

silverspoons, that's a fake site. This disclaimer is at the bottom: "The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily shared nor endorsed by The Unofficial Megyn Kelly. The Unofficial Megyn Kelly is not associated with Megyn Kelly nor Fox News and it's service is intended to augment, supplement or enhance the service provided by the author."

I still think the interview will be more or less softball - at the very least, nowhere near as hard-hitting as the Duggars deserve - but IMO she's not that dumb! That op-ed was a masterwork of WTF. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 5

You could probably start a drinking game for the interview. Take a sip whenever they talk about how this happened when Josh was a teenager. Chug the whole bottle if they ever explicitly refer to "abuse" or "molestation."

Yeah, but I don't want alcohol poisoning.

• Love 8

I would love to see angry Megyn going after them. She's a mom.  However, I see FOX telling her that she cannot.  If it's going to be an hour of softball, I don't care to see that shit, 

I would love to believe that the desire to actually do her job would win out over what I'm sure has been an interesting negotiation with the brass at FOX News, but I don't believe that Megyn Kelly will go after the Duggars in any way, shape or form. Unfortunately for those of us who would like to see an actual journalist put a camera on the Duggars and ask the tough questions, the Duggars are a huge "get" right now and probably had scores of offers. They chose the most friendly. After all, FOX News is not exactly a stronghold of journalism.

This will be a very highly rated, softball interview with pre-negotiated questions and lots of tears from J-Chelle. There will be plenty of uses of the words "forgiveness" and "Jesus". There won't be any mention of actual survivors (thank you to the poster who pointed out I was using the wrong word to describe those who have survived molestation; I will do better in the future) and they will announce that TLC has decided to resume production of the show, praise the Lord.

If anyone out there had any hope at all that Jim Boob and J-Chelle might actually want to set the record straight, it's over.

• Love 11

Today, I read a great timeline of events in USA Today (5/28/15) and it made a lot of things much clearer!

I did not realize that this all 1st started in 2002, Josh was 14, AND, DIM Bob was in the Republican Primaries for the U.S. Senate. (which he lost badly!).

Which, explains, somewhat, why, things were on the backburner.. (someone helped them hide things for a while?)

But, who ??  J.B. waited months to report his son. Here, it explains he (with church heads) PUNISHED JOSH.. Through labor and 'counselling'..(which, since they do not believe in psychology, must mean bible verses, etc.).
Josh's punishment lasted 3 months.

Other things happened..(read timeline).
But, I have to wonder, would this have happened if Michelle and Jimbob grew up the way they were bringing up their kids? Why? Because Michelle dated, went to a 'regular h.s.', J.B. went to a Christian h.s.. Their kids were kept at this house, rarely got to see other kids, other then that once a year, 5 day, homeschool conference.
They had no idea how their kids felt reaching puberty, not allowed to 'date', not allowed to see, meet, be with, the opposite sex, until they reached the age of adulthood when they could 'court'.. their kids were in 2 bedrooms according to sex, and of course, 'masterbation' according to the bible is wrong. Try doing it in your room with 6-9 others in your room! (as Michelle pushed more kids out!)
I am sure they could not even talk about those things with their parents (as Josh's punishment was hard labor and 'therapy').

Meanwhile, Dimbob/Michelle, keep doing this kissy face with each other, saying 'when you get married you can do this, but not now'.. how immature! and now, how stupid if you know you have a kid with problems!

I have to wonder-if Josh had parents who did not make their kids grow up in a sexually repressed house, but sent them to a regular school, let them date early, (let him 'make out with his GIRL FRIEND..etc..) would any of this happened?

and, the most hypocritical thing? does ANYONE remember what JimBob gave Josh right before he went down the aisle, THE BOOK? From their church? Instruction manual on Sexual Intercourse? (Josh turned Red, said he didn't think he needed it?). Bet it was for US, the viewers.. so we would think Josh did not know anything about those 'girly parts' and where his 'Man' part had to go? What a stupid liar Dimbob is!

Funny or Die has a video of Jimbob and Michelle, funny!

• Love 6

I think if anyone shows emotion, it will be Jim Bob. Michelle will just nod wide-eyed, and speaking very calmly, she'll minimize the molestation. "Josh was in a molesting season of life...One of his little glitches...He had desires stirred up inside of him that could not righteously be fulfilled..." Probably very little, if any mention of the girls and what they've been through. At any rate, "it brought the family closer to God, God laid it on their hearts to forgive him..." Yada, yada, yada.

I actually got a feeling from the police report that Michelle had the most pragmatic thoughts about what happened. She seemed to understand what Josh did was wrong and that he didn't really receive the help he needed, but JB was the one who just totally covered up all of Josh's wrong doings. I think Michelle then went along with JB because (no brainer) "the male is in charge." That's just my own take from the police report, though. However, I still don't think she'll admit any wrongdoings in the interview. They'll probably just say the same thing they said in the family statement. I most likely won't watch because seeing them not own up to their wrongdoings just makes me sick to my stomach. I'll wait and read everyone else's reactions!

silverspoons, that's a fake site. This disclaimer is at the bottom: "The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily shared nor endorsed by The Unofficial Megyn Kelly. The Unofficial Megyn Kelly is not associated with Megyn Kelly nor Fox News and it's service is intended to augment, supplement or enhance the service provided by the author."

I still think the interview will be more or less softball - at the very least, nowhere near as hard-hitting as the Duggars deserve - but IMO she's not that dumb! That op-ed was a masterwork of WTF. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I have seen her agree with Tony Perkins of the FRC almost weekly on her show so I doubt she is going in with the hard questions.

I bet the interview is much like the parody video on funnyordie a few day ago.

• Love 3
(edited)

However, I still don't think she'll admit any wrongdoings in the interview. They'll probably just say the same thing they said in the family statement.

I expect them to shoehorn in a rationale about how they would have had to stop homeschooling their kids if Josh had been declared a sex offender, shifting the blame for their inaction to society at large, i.e. they had to make the choice they did because if they had handled it like people are supposed to, their children would have been exposed to the big bad ugly world of public school.  Or their poor golden boy would have been cast out on the street among the heathens.  They were between a rock and hard place, so of course, blah blah blah. 

Josh admits his wrong. He’s cleaned up his act.

Meghyn Kelly's entire defense of Josh is based upon this assertion.  He has admitted he was wrong and changed.  He should be forgiven.  Okay he has admitted he was wrong, sure.  But how the hell does she know he has changed? 

She wants to dismiss all the public outrage because according to her, it is nothing but an expression of everyone's hypocritical, unforgiving anti-Christian bias.  But she is missing the point of much of that outrage.  A LOT of people don't think Josh received anything approaching adequate treatment for the issues he had that led him to molest little girls.  They fear he may still be a threat.   They have no reason to believe that he has "changed" at all, as Megyn Kelly for some reason assumes he has. 

Sure, there is criticism of the Duggar's belief that Christian forgiveness is enough.  And that does appear to touch on their religion.  But the key concern underlying that sentiment which Kelly misses is that people are refusing to accept the argument that apologizing and being forgiven is sufficient because they know apologies and forgiveness will not make other little girls safe.  

Likewise Josh admitting what he did was wrong does not give anyone any confidence he is no longer a threat.  No child is protected by that. 

Only serious treatment could do anything to assuage the public concern about whether Josh Duggar can safely be around little girls.  And Josh didn't have treatment.  His own mother essentially acknowledged that.

There is no basis for Megyn Kelly to pronounce Josh Duggar "changed," at all.  And her reliance on this to justify her dismissal of the public outcry renders her entire opinion of the situation meaningless. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 13

Megyn Kelly has Tony Perkins, Josh's old Boss from the FRC on her show all the time and agrees with his points. I think she was selected because of this and the interview with just Jim Bob and Michelle at their home has already been taped.

I would love it to be some hard hitting interview but I don't think we are going to learn anything new, just a bunch of God saved us during this time and forgiveness talk.

http://megynkelly.org/159400/a-christian-defense-of-josh-duggar/

Well, I won't be watching but I will be reading all your comments. Don't let me down ;)

• Love 7

The only way they have any chance of keeping the show on the air is if they apologize, admit they handled it improperly, etc. Though I'm sure they'll say they did what they thought was "best" and "right" for their family. Hopefully, there is no way they can salvage the show in TLC's eyes. They can't in mine.

• Love 3