Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

keeping with that idea for baby Smugger number four

I'm a little nervous they're going to name her after MEchelle. It's bound to happen, as you KNOW that little girl would end up being the favorite grandchild. 

It will take more than a name to break through Michelle's wall of self-protection from anyone more than a few weeks old.

Maybe Michaela or something similar? Sorry, Mykaela.

ETA: Isn't the little boy already Michael? Not that that would be a problem necessarily, Josh being from a family with Jana, Joy Anna, and Johanna.

Edited by JenCarroll

I once worked at a childcare with a pair of twins named Michael & Michaela. The parents thought it was cute.

I hope J&A give the new M a name that's not even close to what her siblings have.

Should I feel ashamed for thinking that Josh was cute - in a throwback-to-the-1950s, squeaky clean sort of way - back when the first couple of documentaries aired? Is that something I should have taken to my grave? Because now I look at him and go, "...Eesh." 

ETA: I can't tell whether you guys are liking my post because you think, "Yes, Josh Duggar used to be cute," or because you think, "Yes, you should be ashamed."

Before he got overweight, I thought he had a girls face. :)

Brilliant, Curt.   She'd also be Mo, number 4.

MO-FO?    :)

• Love 5

I TOTALLY hope they don't name her Michelle/Mychelle. I would rather them pick some other M girl name with a y thrown in. I'm going with...

1) Mykelti

2) Madyson

3) Makayla

Suzette for a middle name is fine, but I'm going to barf if M4 is named Michelle.

Edited by truelovekiss
  • Love 1

I personally like the name Michelle... but maybe that's bc it's my name. I have a cousin Makayla which I think is a pretty name. Oh and McKinzy but they already have one spelled different of course

It would be super hilarious if they named her Mary Suzette and skipped right over Michelle.

But I think Michelle Suzette sounds right. And I think Josh actually does have a relationship with his mother. He's the only child who had any one on one attention, after all.

• Love 2

But I think Michelle Suzette sounds right. And I think Josh actually does have a relationship with his mother. He's the only child who had any one on one attention, after all.

Agreed. I'll never forget that she showed genuine affection to him when she and Jill arrived to help when Anna was in labor with MacKynzie. And when Michelle was in labor with one of the howler girls, I remember being struck by the fact that Josh was genuinely worried about her and called her "Mommy."

• Love 2

Should I feel ashamed for thinking that Josh was cute - in a throwback-to-the-1950s, squeaky clean sort of way - back when the first couple of documentaries aired? Is that something I should have taken to my grave? Because now I look at him and go, "...Eesh." 

ETA: I can't tell whether you guys are liking my post because you think, "Yes, Josh Duggar used to be cute," or because you think, "Yes, you should be ashamed."

Certainly don't feel ashamed. Josh is a good looking young man, as you said he's like a blast from the past, very retro. But I saw Josh in a similar way that I saw that cute, clean-cut guy in high school and thought he was so handsome but then saw him again 20 years later and he was fat and bald. Josh is heading in that direction.

Sometimes I think Anna is behaving as a parody of her monster in law, on purpose. With things like the "progress makes babies," and sometimes when she and Josh are making eyes at each other, they start laughing, like it's their subtle way of goofing on Boob and Mullet. I also felt that way when she said 5 kids would be a good start. I do believe that she's a very devout Christian, and that she wants a larger than average family. But I don't think that she especially wants/expects to have another 15 after this one. I think she might want one, maybe two more.

From what I understand, this religious sect is essentially Baptist in origin but also referred to as “Independent Baptist family” meaning they aren't traditional Baptists but rather a more conservative form. They have no traditional 'church' or 'house of worship' and they call the place where they gather with others for spiritual meeting 'home church' because they meet at small halls, homes or other more intimate venues. Anna and Josh will be expected to 'receive the blessings of God through children' no matter how many they have, the more the better, there will be no limitation or family planning. 'que sera, sera'

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 1

For anyone who hasn't seen this gem of Smuggar "singing",you're welcome:

http://archive.wbir.com/video/1398402563001/0/Duggar-family-visits-the-Upstate?fullsite=true

Oh my, that's...  I don't know - oh my.

PS - Josh sounds like one of those singers on "The Lawrence Welk Show" - don't remember which one but he was just awful. My parents watched the Welk show for 30 years on Saturday nights on PBS. We kids were constantly ribbing them for the fuddy-duddy, cornpone style. Of course we were happenin' 70s teens at the time!

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

I just saw the music store episode, and was impressed that Josh let the kids try out various instruments and seemed to care about having them find something to get excited about, rather than assigning them an instrument.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 1

Michelle is a nice name ( Mrs. Duggar and a few others a side). I also like they can call her Shelly. I'm voting for Mary or some form of it (Marie, Maria). Maybe they'll name it Mariah. It seems to be in the air right now. 

Edited by Temperance

I'm a little nervous they're going to name her after MEchelle. It's bound to happen, as you KNOW that little girl would end up being the favorite grandchild.

Yeah, Michelle is eventually going to happen. It's a pretty name - sans the connection to Mullet. Is it Jill that has Michelle for a middle name?

If the baby is named Michelle, they could call her Chely (Shelly). I like the fact that Johanna gets "Hanny" and MaKynzie (sp?) gets "Kynzie" (and maybe "Siah" too?). I think they're lucky their nicknames allow them out of the same-initial circus. I grew up In a home where we all (6 kids) had same-initial names (and a sister and I had almost the same name). I hated it so much. Years later, I remember a therapist asking me, "Why do you think your mom didn't give you your own name? Your own identity?" I thought that was a great question.

For what it's worth, I hope they honor Grandma Mary with the name. I think a Mary- name would be cute, and would make it the baby's own - Mary-Cate, Mary-Kathryn, Mary-Eve, Mary-Brooke, Mary-Elisabeth...

• Love 3
Mary-Cate, Mary-Kathryn, Mary-Eve, Mary-Brooke, Mary-Elisabeth...

I love that idea, but I can see Boob and MEchelle viewing "Mary" names as "too Catholic" (his mom's name notwithstanding). My former in-laws are Southern Baptist and said they had never considered naming a child Mary as it's a "Catholic name." 

• Love 2

I kind of hope that they skip the name Mary and let Amy use it somehow. She seems to be really close to Grandma Duggar and I love their relationship.

I would love that, or for Joy to use the name Mary for a future daughter one day.

Anna always makes me sad.

She always shows her teeth in pictures, but for the most parts, she looks miserable. You can try to fake a wide smile - but if the rest of your face oozes misery, it looks just silly. Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it off my chest.

I know thy are raised to believe happiness is the only allowed emotion, but still. It makes me sad whenever I see her.

Edited by Nutella

Anna was raised in a very ordinary church, by Fundy standards. You don't have the wedding she and Josh had in a home church setting. Independent Baptist means, for one thing, that you aren't tied to other Baptist groups for missions.

Josh would be a better singer if he just sang instead of trying to put on a show. His method of singing just sounds like he's trying too hard.

Smuggar had better move over, there's a new theater kid in town! I wonder how he's going to feel about this new little 17 year old girl outshining him.

Edited by truelovekiss
  • Love 3

Anna always makes me sad.

She always shows her teeth in pictures, but for the most parts, she looks miserable. You can try to fake a wide smile - but if the rest of your face oozes misery, it looks just silly. Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it off my chest.

I know thy are raised to believe happiness is the only allowed emotion, but still. It makes me sad whenever I see her.

She just looks tired to me.

• Love 1

Sometimes I think Anna is behaving as a parody of her monster in law, on purpose. With things like the "progress makes babies," and sometimes when she and Josh are making eyes at each other, they start laughing, like it's their subtle way of goofing on Boob and Mullet. I also felt that way when she said 5 kids would be a good start. I do believe that she's a very devout Christian, and that she wants a larger than average family. But I don't think that she especially wants/expects to have another 15 after this one. I think she might want one, maybe two more.

You know, that's what I thought in the beginning, but now I think she's going to want to keep having babies for as long as Josh's sisters are pumping them out -- so, basically, eternally. If Josh is smart, he'll guide Anna to develop some interests and activities of her own. Then maybe she wouldn't feel the need to hold her ground against the J-crew on the only field of competition they have.

I think Anna is really invested in Josh doing well in his career. If Josh could find a way to allow her tap into that, I think that would benefit both of them. Anna is smart, kind and clearly enjoys being around people. She'd be an asset on a campaign trail (as would her lovely and lively children.) Directing some of her creative energy outward would only be good for both his career and her abilities other than childbirth and homeschooling.

• Love 10

Just watched the episode about Josie's birth, and I was shocked to find that Smuggar actually touched my cold, hard heart.

He and Anna were wrangling the howlers when MEchelle called to tell him she'd had the baby. Damned if he didn't call her "Mommy" -- that's the second time he's done that -- and get all choked up, and express obvious worry over HER condition, with the baby as an afterthought.

There really is some genuine love between Smuggar and his mom ... such a contrast between their relationship and the non-relationship she seems to have with most of the other kids.

• Love 5

Just watched the episode about Josie's birth, and I was shocked to find that Smuggar actually touched my cold, hard heart.

He and Anna were wrangling the howlers when MEchelle called to tell him she'd had the baby. Damned if he didn't call her "Mommy" -- that's the second time he's done that -- and get all choked up, and express obvious worry over HER condition, with the baby as an afterthought.

There really is some genuine love between Smuggar and his mom ... such a contrast between their relationship and the non-relationship she seems to have with most of the other kids.

I remember that too. I got tears in my eyes from looking at the reaction he had over Michelle and Josie. He got it. 

• Love 1

That was the episode where Jim Bob showed genuine emotion too. I would never wish such a thing on any family, but I really warmed to him more without the constant, "Hyuk hyuk, I'm such a card," shtick.

• Love 2

I'm watching an old episode right now (Duggar Dinner Party) and Anna is letting 2 year old Mack eat raw cookie dough. I'm assuming it had eggs in it.

I ate it all the time growing up.  I loved it.  As long as eggs are kept in the fridge at least at 45 degrees, the chance of getting salmonella from eggs is extremely small.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 7

Yeah, I don't think a little cookie dough or cake batter is anything to get overly worried about. My daughter and husband both lick beaters, spoons and scrape out batter bowls with spatulas every time I make cookies and cakes -- which isn't all that often. It's the perks! I never deprive them of them of those perks and I always make sure to leave plenty in the bowl and on the spoon too.

• Love 4

I guess I'm making a big deal out of nothing :) We tend to have sensitive stomachs in my family, and I really don't do well with rare meat, over easy eggs or anything like that, so my mom pretty much made raw eggs out to be poisonous.

• Love 1

:) My mom tried in vain to get me to stop eating cookie and cake batter when I was younger. She would warn about salmonella and I would risk it anyway.

Also, she warned about not washing fruits before eating them. I listen to that one. I think Josh and Anna let the kids eat unwashed fruit from the roadside stand on their trip to Chicago. I gasped "No, danger!" What our moms say to us sticks, hyper vigilance.  

Edited by Lilytiger

I guess I'm making a big deal out of nothing :) We tend to have sensitive stomachs in my family, and I really don't do well with rare meat, over easy eggs or anything like that, so my mom pretty much made raw eggs out to be poisonous.

Eggs or batter that have been left out of the fridge too long could potentially be harmful and leave you with salmonella poisoning so I understand the concern.

I think Anna fakes not being able to cook more than doesn't know. I'm not saying she's a healthy cook or anything, but I'm betting her mother "trained" her better. No ones looks hungry in her house, and her kids don't act like wild dogs when she walks into the kitchen.

• Love 9

Anyone care to speculate on what M4's name will be? I've noticed that all three of the M kids' names start with "M" and have a hard "k" sound: Mackynzie, Michael and Marcus. So I'm guessing that they'll name M4 something along the lines of "Mikayla."