Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

I love Hudson's kids' size 14. I'm currently 5'5", 102-106 pre-pregnancy straight up and down. Fit perfectly.

I wish we could watch Jessa go clothes shopping versus that outing to Walmart. The wedding dress was sort of clothes shopping, but I wish they eventually show her once married going to a mall. Or...I wonder if she mostly does online shopping? I think she once said something about that (other than the bridesmaids dresses). One of the Duggar girls were talking about online sales. I can see Jessa doing that for maternity wear.

• Love 1

I wish we could watch Jessa go clothes shopping versus that outing to Walmart. The wedding dress was sort of clothes shopping, but I wish they eventually show her once married going to a mall. Or...I wonder if she mostly does online shopping? I think she once said something about that (other than the bridesmaids dresses). One of the Duggar girls were talking about online sales. I can see Jessa doing that for maternity wear.

I'd love to see an episode where the three remaining girls go clothes shopping (they can use the excuse that Jessa and Jill took a good portion of the clothes) with Grandma and maybe lunch or stopping for some sweet snack.  Just something where they can be normal teenaged and twenty-something girls instead of running a household.

As for Jessa and the pregnancy rumors, for some reason I really don't care if she is pregnant.  Considering her attitude in the Duggar household, I'm somewhat curious as to what type of parent she would be.  This could be her way of breaking free from the Duggar way of life.  Her little family could move closer to her in-laws or move somewhere separate from everyone (maybe a spin-off in a new city).  Her attitude towards raising children that she gave birth to may very well be different than raising her siblings and if she can raise them somewhat away from her parents, maybe she would be willing to give them opportunities that she didn't have growing up.

Stacey1014, that's what I'm interested in, too. For some reason, I don't feel excited or a anything really about hearing if Jessa is pregnant. But, I do want to see her with a baby or with multiple kids of her own...on her own...like Anna Duggar when she was taking her 3 to the airport. That would interest me greatly to see. I don't enjoy feeling this way. I feel bad I don't really like Jessa. And I say that because I do like Jill, Joy, and Jana a whole lot. Jinger is confusing to me, though!

I want to see Jessa in the room when I'm-Rick-James-Bitch Dillard is born.  I want to see the look of horror on her face when she witnesses Jill crown that 11 month gestation, 15 pound Wonder Child with the head the size of a basketball. Then I want her to turn to TheDashingBinSeewald and say, "wrap that fucker up, or you're cut off."  

• Love 9

I wonder if Ben thinks the show & any assorted media flotsam will be his income? Personally I really wonder just how much longer this show will last. When I first saw it I didn't think it would go longer than a year or two, so to be here 10 years out is amazing to me. Does anyone - besides the Duggars of course - think it will still be around 10 years from now? Five?

It's getting boring. I'll say maybe two three more years. Then a bunch of specials.

I want to see Jessa in the room when I'm-Rick-James-Bitch Dillard is born. I want to see the look of horror on her face when she witnesses Jill crown that 11 month gestation, 15 pound Wonder Child with the head the size of a basketball. Then I want her to turn to TheDashingBinSeewald and say, "wrap that fucker up, or you're cut off."

Omg. I laughed so hard at this. Benessa should watch natural childbirth online or ass it Anna and Jill. After Ben sees what a vagina looks like giving birth he probably wouldn't go near one for a while.

• Love 2

I would say Jessa might be pregnant at this point, but it's entirely possible they aren't actively "trying" to conceive at this point, no matter what they say publicly. Jessa grew up keeping track of her mother's cycle every month , so I'm sure she knows how to do natural family planning if they so desire. Also, Ben did not grow up with Gothardism, did he? Weren't his parents Vision Forum followers? There might well be some different beliefs that he grew up with compared to Jessa, as his family doesn't seem quite as extreme as the Duggars.

As to the show lasting, I think 5 years as a regular series might be about right, but not 10. In 10 years, we might still have Jana and John David living at home, and 35 year old Jana sharing a bedroom with 15 year old Josie and the other sisters who never married. The married Duggar kids will be expecting a new baby probably about every 2 or 3 months at that point, and how special will each new baby be to the viewing audience? (not to mention Jim Bob and Michelle, who could easily end up with over 100 grandchildren!)

Anyone else see the new "Jessa is pregnant" rumors today? I thought she looked pregnant in the People Magazine article a couple of weeks ago, and my guess is another honeymoon conception with an announcement put on hold so as not to steal Jill's thunder.

• Love 2

There were repeats of this season on tonight, and I was watching the scene where Jesse was buying her bridesmaids dresses on-line. I thought she was very disrespectful to Grandma Mary. I've only seen her interact with her grandmother twice (here, and when they were baking cookies for the "garage sale") and both times she seemed very dismissive of her grandmother.

I wonder if she has picked this up from J'chelle?

• Love 2

You know, I don't see ANY reason on this earth why Michelle's daughters' should have had ANY access to her cycle in the first place? It has nothing to do with them; other than they would be "inheriting" the next blessing 24/7...but it's just not necessary. Michelle, as any other woman, needed to monitor that herself; it's a private matter, isn't it? Just seems awful to me for the whole family to know about...just twisted and weird IMO...

• Love 9

I'm surprised the elder Seewalds didn't steer Ben towards some type of design/drafting career. Seems like he grew up drawing things & he likes doing it. So why not have a career doing something you like or have a knack for? My son grew up with Legos & loved designing his own buildings & towns. It wasn't surprising when he chose architecture as a career. Is Ben still taking on line classes? Even if he is, he's under Boob's control now & Boob has probably told him they are useless. I guess the elder Seewalds don't value higher education either or they would have insisted he stay at home & finish his college education before throwing him to the Duggar wolves.

• Love 2

The Seewalds while they may not be as bad as the Duggars in some ways were preaching early marriage to a 19 yr old bc they didn't want him out disrespecting Jesus by sowing his wild oats. Papa Seewald did this by disrespecting the 20 and 30 something's out there who are so "busy" with their worldly lives that they aren't "ready" to get married. People with that kind of attitude want their kids married ASAP and any kind of education or profession that hinders that is "unnecessary" and not as important to doing the lord's work as marriage and family are. They may not have minded their son pursuing something like architecture or a BFA or graphic design -- but if they looked into it and realized you're looking at 4-6 yrs between undergrad, internships and maybe a masters to make you employable in those fields, I'm sure they and horny Ben nixed the idea saying -- no no it's more important to serve The Lord through the covenant of marriage than to pursue some worldy profession that may have me delaying marriage until age 24 or beyond -- I'll just find a job in an insurance office or marry a JB daughter and join their empire, doesn't matter what I do for work -- The Lord will provide.

• Love 1

You know, I don't see ANY reason on this earth why Michelle's daughters' should have had ANY access to her cycle in the first place? It has nothing to do with them; other than they would be "inheriting" the next blessing 24/7...but it's just not necessary. Michelle, as any other woman, needed to monitor that herself; it's a private matter, isn't it? Just seems awful to me for the whole family to know about...just twisted and weird IMO...

I totally agree, but where did we learn that the girls know the details of their mother's cycle? Was that mentioned at some point?

I've always thought this was very odd too, but am guessing that this is done so the girls learn about cycles and how - despite the fact that they "leave it all up to God" they can increase the odds of getting pregnant. As much as possible.

I've always thought this was very odd too, but am guessing that this is done so the girls learn about cycles and how - despite the fact that they "leave it all up to God" they can increase the odds of getting pregnant. As much as possible.

I agree. Is it possible that Jill may have chosen her wedding date to coincide with her ovulation cycle? I definitely think she at least chose it so that it wouldn't coincide with her period or even PMS.

• Love 3

I totally agree, but where did we learn that the girls know the details of their mother's cycle? Was that mentioned at some point?

An old special? I just remember one of the older girls, who wasn't very old at the time, saying they watched her cycles "like a hawk." eta: Michelle might have said that about the girls tracking her cycle, but I vividly remember that particular phrase being used. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5

After 2 years and 3 majors my youngest son left university and is now enrolled in a CAD (computer assisited design) course at community college. He works full time and still should be done in less than 2 years. All of his English and humanities courses transferred over from university, so he just has the core classes. There are lots of openings in this field, and the pay is decent.  Ben could do that easily, and come out with a marketable skill.  Just saying...

• Love 2

It was on the today show, Jordan announcement. Michelle said it. I'm on my iPad or I'd post video. Google it and see. The girls water her cycles like a hawk.

To an extent, I understand explaining about cycles etc to the girls - for their own future information etc. But - why in the world - would the older girls need or want to monitor their own mother's cycles? I can't for the life of me come up with a possible reason for this.

• Love 4

It was on the today show, Jordan announcement. Michelle said it. I'm on my iPad or I'd post video. Google it and see. The girls water her cycles like a hawk.

Thanks for the context! It's been quite a while; however, that phrasing has always stuck in my mind as overboard creepy.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

It was actually from one of the very earliest of the Duggar episodes. They were in NYC for Mother's Day. TLC taped their Today Show appearance, or used NBC's footage. It was then that Michelle announced that she was pregnant with Jordyn. It's all coming back to me now. She mentioned something about being surprised that she got this past the girls, because of how they watched her cycles (like a hawk). 

• Love 1

This is kind of off topic, but I wonder what JBoob does when J'Chelle is dealing with Lucifer's waterfall. He's obviously a perverted sex crazed male chauvinist pig, and if they won't do it while she's on her period (which I do understand, but not for their reasons, just it's probably messy). So anyway for however long a month, and for the 40-80 days after she pops out another one, does he go into sex withdrawal? This is the most disgusting thing ever to imagine by the way....don't close your eyes for a few hours, you'll have horrifying visions.....

The big issue about using your cycle/NFP is that I wonder how reliable the daughters periods are. A lot of young women don't have consistent cycles in their early 20's, and their cycles would have had the stressors, I think, of odd eating issues (I don't think Jessa was eating much the past year) and unless you have a honeymoon baby (hello Jill!) you then have the issue of your cycle separating from the "house" cycle, and some cycles never line up in sync with that no matter what, etc.

I just think even trying really hard, that's a tough one. No matter how knowledgable you might be.

• Love 1

I vaguely remember Michelle saying something to the effect of having her cycle charted and posted on the fridge, of all places....maybe I'm dreaming but I swear I heard her say this or I read it in their first book (I never read the others). So all of the older girls must know a lot about fertile vs. non-fertile days. If Jessa and Ben want to wait to have children but don't want to feel like they're going against God's wishes, the only way to avoid pregnancy is use natural family planning. I believe it involves also taking a daily morning temperature and charting it as well as the days between cycles. My Catholic sister in law and her husband are of the belief that they should not use birth control except for natural family planning, and only had 2 children in 25 years. It may be Jessa and Ben's secret plan that they aren't sharing with the public despite their talk about adopting and wanting to have more than 20 kids. 

To an extent, I understand explaining about cycles etc to the girls - for their own future information etc. But - why in the world - would the older girls need or want to monitor their own mother's cycles? I can't for the life of me come up with a possible reason for this.

So they could know when they were going to be a Mommy again?  That's the only reason I can see for it.

(though to be fair, I can understand wanting to plan your wedding around that time of the month, especially if it's your first time)

• Love 4

I vaguely remember Michelle saying something to the effect of having her cycle charted and posted on the fridge, of all places....maybe I'm dreaming but I swear I heard her say this or I read it in their first book (I never read the others). So all of the older girls must know a lot about fertile vs. non-fertile days.

It was on an episode. The camera showed it as Michelle discussed it. Bizarre.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 1

Will we see Derick jumping out of the congregation at Benessa's wedding, grabbing Jill as she walks down the aisle after the ceremony? Looking back, that was one of the weirdest & disrespectful things I've ever seen at a wedding - Ben & Smugs grabbing their women during the processional. I know we hashed about it after Jill's wedding but I still can't believe they did what they did.

• Love 6

Interesting hearing the thoughts in the Jessa wedding episode threads on what she may do job wise and the influence of her in-laws on that. Makes me realize how the in-laws may have been an attractive part of the Ben "package" for her. Who hasn't been in a relationship (especially when you're young and critical of your own family) where you are more in love with your significant others family than your actual significant other.

• Love 7

I think she actually liked the family. They are religious and part of her world, but not Gothard so she and everyone else in her circle doesn't know everything about them. To Jessa, I think they seem cultured, calm and educated. I bet their dinner table, for instance, is at a regular time each night, with real food, on real plates with silverware, and the family actually talks with each other, instead of gobbling down whatever is at hand on paper plates and having to agree that whatever hairbrained scheme of Jim Bob's is the Best Idea EVER!

I think Jessa would like to be a lady. In that southern sense. And Ben and his family were a way to get there without admitting that she hadn't a clue.

• Love 5

Oh, to be a fly on the wall to hear how Mike Seewald reacted to the fall of the leader of Vison Forum, Doug Phillips. What *is* evident from reading his screeds, is that he hasn't let go of the Calvinist theology of VF. That's been passed down to Ben, as evidenced from some of the stuff he quotes on Instagram and FB - often Spurgeon. What I do find odd is that Calvinists are usually associated with conservative Presbyterians, through Scotland. But the Seewalds identify as Baptist. I don't know enough about conservative doctrine, or even Baptists TBH, to know how people can reconcile the differences and still attend a Baptist church. 

Jessa does seem fully on board with the fire and brimstone that Calivinists enjoy throwing around. 

• Love 2

I think she actually liked the family. They are religious and part of her world, but not Gothard so she and everyone else in her circle doesn't know everything about them. To Jessa, I think they seem cultured, calm and educated. I bet their dinner table, for instance, is at a regular time each night, with real food, on real plates with silverware, and the family actually talks with each other, instead of gobbling down whatever is at hand on paper plates and having to agree that whatever hairbrained scheme of Jim Bob's is the Best Idea EVER!

I think Jessa would like to be a lady. In that southern sense. And Ben and his family were a way to get there without admitting that she hadn't a clue.

This may/may not be true. Even Jessa may not know if it's true. But it does make sense. The Seewalds are probably her first extended view at a different way to live. Here we have a large [but not massive] family, who live in a clean, cared-for home in which everyone has chores, but the decisions are made and carried out by Mom & Dad. There's probably a fairly-routine schedule, and home-cooked meals shared around a family dinner table. The Seewalds, parents and kids, probably know each other pretty well. The kids are homeschooled but still have "outside" friends in the community because they participate in sports and other activities. I'm guessing they read, watch TV, go to the mall, maybe even make a few decisions on their own once in a while. They're certainly not being loaded on and off a Stink Bus every few days and trotted out to do their own trained seal act all over the South. I doubt they have the same extreme modesty views or have to confess to their parents every bad thought that's ever crossed their minds. And they do all this while still practicing their faith as they see it. For someone raised like Jessa, it all must look extremely appealing. Could explain why Ben looked as good to her as he did too.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 8

Actually most Baptist historically come out of a Calvinist tradition. Calvin himself was French - the Scottish tradition you're thinking of is Knox, who was very influential in English speaking Calvinism. But many European cultures drew from Calvinistic thought, but not Knox specifically, including many Baptists.

Technically, Baptists need only a few things to identify as Baptists. Adult Baptism, of course, deacon lead church structure (as opposed to the Presbytery, which is slightly different) and they do a different ordination than Presby Calvinists, who require more education historically.

But the roots of their theology start in the same place.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 1

This may/may not be true. Even Jessa may not know if it's true. But it does make sense. The Seewalds are probably her first extended view at a different way to live. Here we have a large [but not massive] family, who live in a clean, cared-for home in which everyone has chores, but the decisions are made and carried out by Mom & Dad. There's probably a fairly-routine schedule, and home-cooked meals shared around a family dinner table. The Seewalds, parents and kids, probably know each other pretty well. The kids are homeschooled but still have "outside" friends in the community because they participate in sports and other activities. I'm guessing they read, watch TV, go to the mall, maybe even make a few decisions on their own once in a while. They're certainly not being loaded on and off a Stink Bus every few days and trotted out to do their own trained seal act all over the South. I doubt they have the same extreme modesty views or have to confess to their parents every bad thought that's ever crossed their minds. And they do all this while still practicing their faith as they see it. For someone raised like Jessa, it all must look extremely appealing. Could explain why Ben looked as good to her as he did too.

Absolutely agree with this. Bin's dad scares me a bit -- his blog posts are definitely uber-fundie -- but Guinn seems like a loving, hands-on mom who really knows her kids. I'm sure that appealed to Jessa, whom I'm sure had no idea that parents quite often raise their own children.

• Love 2

Several of you have mentioned confessing thoughts to your parents.  Who would do that?  Why wouldn't you just say you didn't have any thoughts to confess?  

After all, even in confession you don't confess most thoughts.  Not unless you dwell on them, like a perversion.  Good grief, give me a break.

• Love 8

Absolutely agree with this. Bin's dad scares me a bit -- his blog posts are definitely uber-fundie -- but Guinn seems like a loving, hands-on mom who really knows her kids. I'm sure that appealed to Jessa, whom I'm sure had no idea that parents quite often raise their own children.

Yes, I have to say I think I like Guinn. Unlike Me-chelle, I think there's still some cheese on her cracker. Plus she had the good sense to look stunned/shocked when Me-chelle started in with her "Oooh, just think - maybe we'll be grandmothers very soon..." song.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

Several of you have mentioned confessing thoughts to your parents.  Who would do that?  Why wouldn't you just say you didn't have any thoughts to confess?

Because the kids are trained from birth to believe that doing that will lead them STRAIGHT TO HELL.

What kind of thoughts are they confessing I wonder? Are they ever punished for their thoughts? That would make it all a lot worse. Boob and J'Chelle are horrible parents.

Their sexual feelings and fantasies. In detail. Go listen to the interviews in the media thread. Nothing is off limits for Mom n' Pop to know.

Their sexual feelings and fantasies. In detail. Go listen to the interviews in the media thread. Nothing is off limits for Mom n' Pop to know.

Oh my God...who does that?!? They're officially beyond crazy.

• Love 7

I watched the HBO special on Scientology yesterday. This reminds me of the creepy 'Audits' they do. Except this is with your parents. Not sure which is worse.

• Love 6

I'm delayed but finally catching up on the rest of the Jessa wedding episode. Some of the stuff is just cracking me up while it brings back memories. My soon-to-be-husband and I 'sent' each other cards that morning - as in my matron of honor delivered cards back and forth to each of us in the house we already owned where we were getting married. I thought it was hilarious that MOH also delivered each of us breath spray while she delivered the cards so I could totally identify with Ben talking about the mints thing, first kiss or not. We were also scrambling at the last minute begging people for propane heaters. Our entire wedding was smaller than their rehearsal dinner but it was fun remembering all the freakouts!  I think 15ish years later you remember the stuff that mattered and what didn't ultimately matter but you realize it turned out to be a funny story.

• Love 3

I personally think Jessa is pregnant based on the photo she and Ben took. I don't think she's five months. I think more like one or two.

I wonder if her pregnancy announcement is being stalled on account of Jill's baby. Jessa announced her engagement when Jill announced her pregnancy. Jill got the cover of People and Jessa's engagement was a side bar in the magazine. I'm wondering if Jill's baby is going to have his picture in People (this time sans Utero) and Aunt Jessa will get a side bar saying she's pregnant. 

• Love 2

This concept is so foreign to me, I can barely imagine. I've never had the slightest desire or need to hear someone else's sexual fantasies least of all those of my children. Is this sort of sharing expected to aid in a person's walk with Jesus? That is a serious question though I'm having trouble framing it while keeping the tone serious. 

• Love 4