Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Jessa knows absolutely nothing about education. 

7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

You're a teacher, right? As a teacher myself, I am appalled at her "education." She's just throwing workbooks at them. 

This is just like Alyssa Bates Webster calling herself a teacher in her latest vlog.  No formal teaching education required. I’m not a teacher, but this irritates me.  

• Like 16
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Little Bitty Pretty One.  It's always nice to see a Duggar using secular music on their IG (even if the song is 60 years old).

From what she wrote on her pic.. “Some school days be like…”
I was hoping her song would be the one by Grits… lolol..  I should have known better.. 

898C56B8-D731-416F-93AD-55059F0D5CA4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I blew up the picture to try and get a look at his workbook. Looks like he might be doing shape matching. That's tomorrow's lesson in my kinder class. 

Since Spurgeon would traditionally start 1st grade this year, my guess is it's a comprehensive 1st grade workbook Jessa got at Walmart or Costco/Sam's Club. Those are fine for useless independent busy work, but given the previous glimpses of Spurgeon's homeschooling, it's probably his main curriculum.

Edited by Nysha
  • Like 1
  • Sad 22
15 hours ago, Absolom said:

It needs a morning detangler or leave in conditioner spray and gone through with a good wet brush.  Probably some styling would help it look better through the day.  

Either cut it short or pull it back in a ponytail or braid, especially in this hot summer weather.  It's bad enough she has to wear a dress to her knees at all times, at least get her hair out of the way so she can play.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 9

I’m actually kind of surprised they’re allowed to dance without being immediately stopped and shamed for it.

But education-wise, those poor kids are doomed. Such a shame. Kids can get a very good education through homeschooling. My cousin’s wife taught her two kids and some neighborhood children for the year earlier in the pandemic and those kids all advanced very far and fast. But she’s an actual certified elementary school teacher, so… Multiple generations of SotDRT results in so much lost potential.

• Like 3
  • Sad 11
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

This is just like Alyssa Bates Webster calling herself a teacher in her latest vlog.  No formal teaching education required. I’m not a teacher, but this irritates me.  

It’s insulting and disrespectful to highly educated professionals. Disgusting. 

13 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

From what she wrote on her pic.. “Some school days be like…”
I was hoping her song would be the one by Grits… lolol..  I should have known better.. 

898C56B8-D731-416F-93AD-55059F0D5CA4.jpeg

The whole “be like” is so phony, disingenuous, and performative. Once again, she sounds like idiot Jinger trying to use “cool” words and expressions.  What’s next? “Vibe?” “Collab?” “Cringe?” 🤣

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Hopefully when Jill D is feeling better she'll post about what Israel is doing in second and even what Sam is doing in kindergarten. I suspect it will be much more appropriate as well as adequately challenging.

• Like 5
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

The whole “be like” is so performative. Once again, she sounds like idiot Jinger trying to use “cool” words and expressions.  What’s next? “Vibe?” “Collab?” “Cringe?” 🤣

Maybe she'll get 'fetch' to finally catch on!

Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

• LOL 17
52 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It's the Scandanavian trend. Jessa is enamored with mid century modern.

Mid century furniture can also have color.  I'm very fond of my teal mid century sofa, although I'm stuck with beige walls and carpeting in my apartment.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

Ok can someone explain to me why they like everything to be beige and brown?

do they think it’s sinful to like pretty colors?

It's not just Jessa.  This is an actual trend that has been around for awhile.  I believe it stems from Instagram.  It's much harder to photograph vibrant colors as an amateur, far easier to restrain your color palette and make use of filters.  Jessa just committed to the Sad Beige lifestyle IRL. 

Here's an article profiling one of my favorite Tik-Tok accounts.

https://hyperallergic.com/729335/is-bleak-the-new-look-for-a-tiktok-childhood/ 

• Sad 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's not just Jessa.  This is an actual trend that has been around for awhile.  I believe it stems from Instagram.  It's much harder to photograph vibrant colors as an amateur, far easier to restrain your color palette and make use of filters.  Jessa just committed to the Sad Beige lifestyle IRL. 

Here's an article profiling one of my favorite Tik-Tok accounts.

https://hyperallergic.com/729335/is-bleak-the-new-look-for-a-tiktok-childhood/ 

People are choosing the colors in their home based on how they might photograph? That’s just sad to me.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Mid century furniture can also have color.  I'm very fond of my teal mid century sofa, although I'm stuck with beige walls and carpeting in my apartment.

When I remember the 60's, I think of aqua, coral, and lime green.  I love those colors.  Beige as well, but as a neutral, not a dominant color.  Beige everything may be Jessa's preference, but to me, it's blah when overdone.  

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

When I remember the 60's, I think of aqua, coral, and lime green.  I love those colors.  Beige as well, but as a neutral, not a dominant color.

Sixties decor definitely had a brighter color palette. The Seventies ushered in the era of "earth tones", every conceivable shade of beige, brown and orange.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

Sixties decor definitely had a brighter color palette. The Seventies ushered in the era of "earth tones", every conceivable shade of beige, brown and orange.

Harvest gold and avocado green! So ugly. I’m obsessed with 50s- 60s aqua variations, though. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 6
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Harvest gold and avocado green! So ugly. I’m obsessed with 50s- 60s aqua variations, though. 

Was just coming here to say I got married in 1974 and all my kitchen stuff was harvest gold or avocado green, lol. Carpet in our first apartment was gold too.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, ozziemom said:

Was just coming here to say I got married in 1974 and all my kitchen stuff was harvest gold or avocado green, lol. Carpet in our first apartment was gold too.

My parents had the harvest gold refrigerator. Those may have been the only color options available then. 🙂

• Like 5

I moved into an apartment in '75 that didn't have any carpeting, just icky asphalt tile.  I voluntarily put a cheap green rug (not shag) in the living room, and a bright blue one in the bedroom.  When I moved in 1981 i inherited wall-to-wall gold shag carpeting.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I’m laughing at the thought of jessa understanding and having a real opinion on mid century modern decor!  😂

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4

In Jessa's attempt to make a mini TTH, I think she overestimated the size of her space. It looked like she has a mini grand piano and giant plants in the space she had designated for a play space. Then the two giant couches and two occasional chairs in the living room space. And this is all jammed in there before her custom made giant dining room table. I think part of the problem is the fireplace/foyer area. The only way to use that extra space would be to use a couch or two chairs and a table, to create like a hallway, but then the back of the couch/chairs would be facing the fireplace.

Decorating in white, cream and beige is boring and unimaginative - much like Jessa. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think the popularity of neutral decor has also been influenced by what seems to be an explosion of seasonal decorating in home interiors. It's not just a Christmas tree anymore. Stores like Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann and Michaels have people buying and crafting their own for every season.  There are people on YouTube who cover their whole house with rotating stuff.

Or vice-versa? Chicken or egg?

I stick to my apartment door. I don't have room for that stuff, and I would knock it over anyway.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

Nah, it’s the Joanna Gaines effect. They all worship her. I haven’t watched much of that show, but what I have seen are neutrals as far as the bored eye can see. 

Joanna had a hand in this, but the desaturation trend in home décor is happening in more spaces than what Joanna can reach.  This is happening at all levels in décor at the moment from commercial spaces to apartments in NYC.  Places designed by individuals who would sneer at Joanna if they even knew who she was.  Joanna may be a trendsetter for the masses, but the trend did not originate with her.  I've seen enough of her show and enough pictures of The Silos to know she is copying the design trends that came out of Hipster places like Brooklyn. 

• Like 2

Shiplap has gone by the wayside, but I think this new modern white/tan trend is a trend that really isn't translating into real life. Maybe the white walls and white kitchens, but most folks can't maintain a home with white furniture and most folks can't afford to jump on every trend. 

Jessa couldn't maintain a dumpy brown home, or her self proclaimed minimalist home. Her couches get a lot of use, from births, to kids boogers and Ivy's shenanigans. Her new couches look like leather or pleather, so somewhat easier to maintain, but leather can hold stains and pleather eventually peals away.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I think the popularity of neutral decor has also been influenced by what seems to be an explosion of seasonal decorating in home interiors. It's not just a Christmas tree anymore. Stores like Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann and Michaels have people buying and crafting their own for every season.  There are people on YouTube who cover their whole house with rotating stuff.

Or vice-versa? Chicken or egg?

I stick to my apartment door. I don't have room for that stuff, and I would knock it over anyway.

Exactly, I couldn’t believe it when a coworker told me that she puts up a tree for every single occasion, Valentine Tree, St. Patrick’s Tree, Easter Tree, 4th of July Tree, Mother’s Day Tree, Birthday Tree, Fathers Day Tree, Thanksgiving Tree etc, etc…Then I found out that lots of people do it!
So I googled and felt exhausted just thinking about all those decorations and different colored trees and where in the world I’d store it all! 😳

We’re probably safe from Jessa putting up trees year round since she doesn’t even bother with wrapping paper or cake on birthdays and in the past she’s used pillow cases and brown paper bags for Xmas presents.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

My parents had the harvest gold refrigerator. Those may have been the only color options available then. 🙂

We had olive green. 

14 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

My parents had green shag carpeting. And a carpet rake. Yes, a rake.

No rake, but we had burnt orange shag. My room had dark red shag. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

Nah, it’s the Joanna Gaines effect. They all worship her. I haven’t watched much of that show, but what I have seen are neutrals as far as the bored eye can see. 

This. They seem to copy what they see. I’m just waiting for one of the girls to record themselves organizing their pantries with clear plastic containers filled to the top with snacks. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I’m just waiting for one of the girls to record themselves organizing their pantries with clear plastic containers filled to the top with snacks. 

I think Jinger may have already displayed her plastic container filled pantry.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
21 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It's the Scandinavian trend that even Scandinavians don't follow.  If you've ever been to Scandinavia, sure, the furniture tends to be simple, often of light colored wood, but there are touches of color everywhere.  And, actual Scandinavian clothing tends to be bright and bold to offset the neutrals.

https://www.gudrunsjoden.com/en-us/clothes/new-arrivals

https://www.hannaandersson.com/?msclkid=3e1f751502591b8980c01605eb6e73f7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP - TM - General HV - All Ages&utm_term=Hanna Andersson&utm_content=Hanna Andersson Exact

Back in the 70's we had olive green shag in our living room, complete with rake.  Our living room furniture was heavy dark wood Mediterranean style with deep red and green brocade cushions.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Back in the 70's we had olive green shag in our living room, complete with rake.  Our living room furniture was heavy dark wood Mediterranean style with deep red and green brocade cushions.

I can picture it.  Our living room was a twin to your's, except my mom was heavy into blue and green with a lot of gold.  Definitely  the dark Mediterranean furniture.  Everything seemed to be blue and green.  Did I mention I really don't like green?

• LOL 4