Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, babyhouseman said:

This might be already known, but I found this in an article. 

"Jessa once worked for her father Jim Bob, by helping pick out designs for homes he would flip."

I didn't know she was so talented at house design. lol

The Duggar "aesthetic" relies on very little "design." I doubt she was picking out cabinets and finishes. All Duggar homes look the same, so I figure Jason can order that stuff. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, babyhouseman said:

"Jessa once worked for her father Jim Bob, by helping pick out designs for homes he would flip."

I guess you've never seen Mt Diaper. An absolute work of art.

And the color choices she choose for her own house were so spot on she repainted a couple of years later. lol

• LOL 16
  • Love 4
On 5/17/2022 at 6:05 PM, SMama said:

I’m sure JB taught them how to avoid paying taxes, or pay very little. 

This has been my theory.  If their income was $30,000, they would qualify for the earned income credit which would pay them about $7,000 plus $3,600 per kid.  Also, weren't there other child tax credits related to covid?  They would probably qualify for free or some assistance with medical insurance & food too.

I've always thought that JB doles out the money, most likely as a gift and the kids that are under his umbrella get a lot of government money.  It's not that hard to figure out.

• Love 8

When Josie was in Little Rock JB made a point of saying they were not using government health insurance which is an absolute lie. My understanding is that kids like Josie are automatically enrolled. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Well, she saw Jana go to Hobby Lobby once, dontcha know.

• LOL 17
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Do you mean given to use while he is pastor, or given to Ben outright? The first isn’t unusual when the church owns a house/parsonage; for churches that don’t, pastors sometimes get a housing allowance. I would be surprised if the church gave Ben the title to the house. 

So curious about this house. Why would you sink thousands of $$ into repairing/renovating a house you didn’t own?  It just doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Don’t trust anyone who picked out that ugly birthing couch or hangs plants over the bed on a flimsy shelf.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I was thinking that perhaps JB is making a donation to this church by having the parsonage fixed up.  Then I came back to reality.

Jessa said they were using their savings to do the reno.  I know she will sometimes twist words & do the hokey pokey with the truth.  But that would be a straight up lie.  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 6
(edited)
17 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Jessa said they were using their savings to do the reno.  I know she will sometimes twist words & do the hokey pokey with the truth.  But that would be a straight up lie.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah, I totally side-eyed the "savings" line. How could they set money aside with what little they had after taxes, raising 4 kids. Granted, Jessa pinches pennies until they squeal, but I just don't see how they had tens of thousands for this extensive reno. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 9

The whole house thing is so curious. Real estate is the one area the Duggars know about, so one would think Jessa and Ben would not invest substantial money in another person's property.

No salary agreement in the world would make sense if the Seewalds walk away from this house empty handed when Ben moves on to a different job.

If they didn't buy the house the only thing I can think of, which is really out there, is the church has agreed to sell the property when the Seewalds move and they split the profit in some way. Even if that crazy theory is true, the Seewalds would still be taking a big risk.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The whole house thing is so curious. Real estate is the one area the Duggars know about, so one would think Jessa and Ben would not invest substantial money in another person's property.

No salary agreement in the world would make sense if the Seewalds walk away from this house empty handed when Ben moves on to a different job.

If they didn't buy the house the only thing I can think of, which is really out there, is the church has agreed to sell the property when the Seewalds move and they split the profit in some way. Even if that crazy theory is true, the Seewalds would still be taking a big risk.

I keep getting stuck on that point. I'm really starting to believe that Ben is getting scammed and Jessa--who has the absolute worst instincts--decided that this would be one of the times she gives in instead of pushing back for the sake of marital harmony.

• Love 5

Just noticed Jessa is shilling BrushX today on Instagram. How many different Fundies can post about that brush? I guess since they all have such long hair the company thinks it’s a good idea? I only glanced at it without sound but she looks like her usual bored self.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Just noticed Jessa is shilling BrushX today on Instagram. How many different Fundies can post about that brush? I guess since they all have such long hair the company thinks it’s a good idea? I only glanced at it without sound but she looks like her usual bored self.

And it’s just a crappier knockoff of the better quality brushes. Sad. Keep it away from your kids, everyone.

BrushX Hot Air Brushes Recalled Due to Electrocution or Shock Hazard; Imported by Ecom Brands (Recall Alert)

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/BrushX-Hot-Air-Brushes-Recalled-Due-to-Electrocution-or-Shock-Hazard-Imported-by-Ecom-Brands-Recall-Alert

Scammy. Better to buy from a brick and mortar store or Amazon, etc where it’s easy to get refunded.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/mybrushx.com

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 5
On 5/19/2022 at 2:28 PM, lascuba said:

I keep getting stuck on that point. I'm really starting to believe that Ben is getting scammed and Jessa--who has the absolute worst instincts--decided that this would be one of the times she gives in instead of pushing back for the sake of marital harmony.

We all saw how well that worked out when it came to choosing Spurgeon's name . . . 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, graefin said:

We all saw how well that worked out when it came to choosing Spurgeon's name . . . 

Exactly. I might cut her a tiny bit of slack, if only because the delay in revealing the name makes me think that she was fighting until she was browbeaten into it. She wouldn't even say the name for the first few weeks until enough people online speculated that she obviously hated it. But...Spurgeon. She named that baby Spurgeon. She should have fought harder...what's one more thing for that manchild she calls husband to resent?

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Exactly. I might cut her a tiny bit of slack, if only because the delay in revealing the name makes me think that she was fighting until she was browbeaten into it. She wouldn't even say the name for the first few weeks until enough people online speculated that she obviously hated it. But...Spurgeon. She named that baby Spurgeon. She should have fought harder...what's one more thing for that manchild she calls husband to resent?

She also placated Ben by allowing Wilberforce. Although many, myself included, called that one.

• Love 2
(edited)

I always assumed the delay was about the sister-in-law leaking the name as Gabriel and Jessa and Ben renaming him out of spite. I really don't think Jessa fought him on the name because I'm not sure she cares so much about her kid having a dumb name as she does having her thunder stolen. I think she was fighting her sister-in-law over spilling the beans. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Gabriel, Quincy, and Elliott would have all been better names of course.

I do think Jessa had more of a hand in naming the girls. She's got a plant-based theme happening here and she has conveyed that she likes plants.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Gabriel, Quincy, and Elliott would have all been better names of course.

I do think Jessa had more of a hand in naming the girls. She's got a plant-based theme happening here and she has conveyed that she likes plants.

Speaking of plants, I wonder if she'll have another Plant Shelf of Doom lurking over her bed in the new house? It can't be stated enough: she can't decorate for shit.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Ben’s paternal grandmother passed away.

I think it was his great grandma. She looked quite elderly. Mike's parents are "only" in their 60's. Mike and Guinn married at 19, had Ben at 20, so they're only on their mid-40s.

• Useful 3
17 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

She also placated Ben by allowing Wilberforce. Although many, myself included, called that one.

At least it's a middle name. I'd bet money Ben suggested it for a first name.

16 hours ago, Zella said:

I always assumed the delay was about the sister-in-law leaking the name as Gabriel and Jessa and Ben renaming him out of spite. I really don't think Jessa fought him on the name because I'm not sure she cares so much about her kid having a dumb name as she does having her thunder stolen. I think she was fighting her sister-in-law over spilling the beans. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

I don't remember the Gabriel bit at all, just that the SIL announced the birth. 

I can't imagine Jessa not caring about such an objectively ugly name for her child. After he was born she'd refer to him as Quincy and Elliot all the time, claiming the plan was to alternate among all three names. When people started speculating that that was because she hated the name Spurgron as much as any rational person would, she stopped and has only ever referred to him as Spurgeon since.

2 minutes ago, lascuba said:

At least it's a middle name. I'd bet money Ben suggested it for a first name.

I don't remember the Gabriel bit at all, just that the SIL announced the birth. 

I can't imagine Jessa not caring about such an objectively ugly name for her child. After he was born she'd refer to him as Quincy and Elliot all the time, claiming the plan was to alternate among all three names. When people started speculating that that was because she hated the name Spurgron as much as any rational person would, she stopped and has only ever referred to him as Spurgeon since.

As part of the birth announcement, Ben's sister gave his name.  Jessa hadn't even announced the birth yet, I think; so I don't blame her for being upset with SIL who should've known better.  However, naming the kid Spurgeon in retaliation seems a bit much.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, lascuba said:

After he was born she'd refer to him as Quincy and Elliot all the time, claiming the plan was to alternate among all three names.

Just when you think these people can't possibly get any weirder...

19 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It took them almost a week to announce the name. I bet Jessa really fought it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the one and only time in their marriage that Ben put his foot down and demanded his own way, leaving Jessa stunned and shocked at having him defy her. She gave in, but I'll bet she found a way to make him suffer for it later.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Just when you think these people can't possibly get any weirder...

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the one and only time in their marriage that Ben put his foot down and demanded his own way, leaving Jessa stunned and shocked at having him defy her. She gave in, but I'll bet she found a way to make him suffer for it later.

That or Michelle had a little talk with her about her job as a wife and placating the fragile male ego, like she did when Jessa didn't gush over Ben's "romantic" gestures when they were courting.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

Jessa would have probably named the boys Oak or Elm if she got her way. Trees for the boys, plants for the girls!

That's reminiscent of The Wicker Man. But that movie is about a cult, and Jessa wouldn't have any idea about those. Oh wait...

• LOL 14
Just now, MaryAnneSpier said:

That's reminiscent of The Wicker Man. But that movie is about a cult, and Jessa wouldn't have any idea about those. Oh wait...

One of my favorite movies of all time! I prefer their cult to the Duggar’s.

• Love 1