Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

How appropriate the title for the house tour is "Hollywood at Home"!!!!!

How ironic, since these people rail against the Hollywood Liberals all the fucking time. That's why they attended the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival that Vison Forum put on when it was still operating. Remember the episode when they took the entire family, including littles who could never understand the material, to see Fireproof? I think that was Kirky Camoron's first appearance on the show. 

So yeah, the last laugh is on them. 

(edited)

Oh god, she's got the "Faithful Dog Looks Adoringly At Master" look down perfectly already. Euch.

Shocking to see Jessa becoming what we never expected her to be. I think she was happy and relieved that she got a good looking guy.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

Grandpa Duggar was a big fan and he wore a Razorback baseball cap often.

I imagine it's like anyone who lives in an area close to a university, although the Duggars, until recently, never showed any interest in sporting events.

Crossing my fingers that Ben will enroll as an on campus student at the University of Arkansas this Fall.

• Love 2

The house looks much better than it did when Josh and Anna lived there. Is it my imagination, or did Jessa and Ben both seem to have more of a southern accent than they normally do in that clip? I agree that the two of them do really seem to be in love. Jessa was not  going to change her mind about marrying Ben even if Jim Bob may have had his doubts awhile back.

Upthread it was posted that these two might start a television ministry like Jim and Tammy Faye Baker. I think it's entirely possible someday, even though they are very young. That couple was quite popular from what I remember and until the whole scandal broke. I think  that Tammy was especially popular with her audience. I thought that Ben was majoring in political science at college, has he confirmed that he wants to be a minister?

• Love 1

Yes. Jess and Ben look happier than Jill and Derick.

That might not really mean anything but I think Jessa and Ben really LIKE eachother and seem to enjoy hanging out together.

Jill seems like she has a 13 yr old girl crush and Derick often looks uncomfortable. I think this pregnancy totally blew him out of the water. He looks shell shocked!

I totally thought it would be the other way around. Very surprised that Jessa and Ben seem so compatable.

• Love 4

Jessa and Ben courted for what, a year? Even though there was always a chaperone they at least got to spend plenty of time together before getting married. Jill and Derick Skyped a few times, she went to see him in Nepal, then when he got back they were engaged and married soon after. When were they supposed to talk and hang out.

Jessa may have been unhappy with the long courtship but in the end I think it will be better for Jessa and Ben's relationship

• Love 4

Yep. You can really see the friendship Jessa and Ben has. They had meaningful conversations (as far as that could with chaperones). You can tell they really know each other like with Ben knowing about how meaningful the Thorn Chapel was to Jessa. In the long run I love Jessa and Ben relationship.

Anyone listen to Ben's sermon post today on his facebook? I tell you, folks, he is young, yes, and still has a lot to learn in general, but agree or not with what he is preaching...that boy needs some serious public speaking and diction classes.

• Love 1

I really don't understand "we are big Arkansas Razorback fans" when none of the Duggars is allowed to go to there!

College football fandom--at least in the south and/or in areas where there's no professional team to root for--often has very little to do with whether you or anyone from your family has necessarily attended the school.

• Love 4

The very first thing several people it knew did who came out of abusive religious home was attend a local sport team. It was the one thing they were sort of able to follow "underground" because the coverage for such things is so pervasive. It doesn't surprise me at all that the first mainstream thing the Duggar children gravitate towards is the same.

• Love 2

The Duggars have been going to Razorbacks games for years. Josh regularly posted pictures of himself and his siblings at games, and frequently tweets GOH HOGS, etc. The sports stuff isn't new.

• Love 1

I don't remember seeing ANY Duggars attend any sports events other than an early baseball game they filmed on the show, as they were being "honored" by the stadium. If I remember correctly, Michelle narrated the scenes saying that they don't participate in any public sports nor did they attend public sports events...so, how can this be?

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah but we're we really following Josh on instagram and twitter 2-3 years ago? I didn't even know they were on social media until someone here mentioned Jill's instagram. On social media, they may be sports fans but on the show they talk game about not participating or watching sports. Why haven't we had an episode of them going to a baseball or football game? I think that's where the confusion is.

Edited by TheDoctorsCompanio
(edited)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KI8Os84KF8s/UHpby1iCccI/AAAAAAAAENY/e6za87qRWaM/s1600/josh+instagram+oct+2012.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/26ef4041fc1637779b143ef5dd33e6cc/tumblr_nfiun5Xfgg1r9t2zdo1_500.jpg

They go, though not all 19 at once, so it's not interesting. Might be hard to film in a stadium, or legal issues with the teams that prevent that sort of thing. I think their big problem is kids sports. They're not going to shell out hundreds so every duggar can play pee wee baseball in polos, jeans, or a skirt. Oddly they pay for football tickets. The tickets are probably comped somehow.

It's a social thing in the south. I think they go because of their fame, and to be 'seen'.

It also wouldn't be the first time Michelle's just made crap up. They do it every episode.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 3

There have been episodes with them going to a minor league baseball game (their first pro game, according to them), and a NHL hockey game in Nashville (same). Smuggar just started posting about football games in the past two or three years; I don't think they attended Razorback football games before that. Now, they're attending their basketball games as well (as seen in a picture the show used of Jill/Derick/chaperone at a game last year). Benessa and many family members attended a number of football games last fall.

Back to the other topic at hand: I think Benessa are happy that Catgate happened; it got the heat off of Jessa's nonsense. I'm off to listen to Ben's latest "sermon." His last one (with the goofy map behind him) was pretty awful. 

I've switched teams.

I like Jessa and Ben much better than Jill and Derick.

Jessa always annoyed me but now that she is married she doesn't seem so obnoxious.

Jill never annoyed me but now that she is married, her idiocy is screaming! It's so awkward.

Ben is a dope but we know that. He is a teenager. At least he is real.

Derick, i thought was smarter and was more educated. WRONG.

Very surprised at how this turned out.

• Love 8

College football fandom--at least in the south and/or in areas where there's no professional team to root for--often has very little to do with whether you or anyone from your family has necessarily attended the school.

Or, in Cleveland, with our craptastic professional teams, Ohio State passes for our winning team. 

• Love 3

Shocking to see Jessa becoming what we never expected her to be. I think she was happy and relieved that she got a good looking guy.

I believe that if Ben wasn't handsome, she would not have agreed to “court” him.  In a 2013 interview with People magazine, Jessa said that a lot of guys asked their father to court them, but most of them were “weird and/or ugly”.

• Love 3

I believe that if Ben wasn't handsome, she would not have agreed to “court” him.  In a 2013 interview with People magazine, Jessa said that a lot of guys asked their father to court them, but most of them were “weird and/or ugly”.

I think Jessa clung on to Bin as her way out because he was good looking. She saw how Jana has been kept waiting and waiting she is not one to have to suffer. Bin was it once she took a look at him and told her daddy that she didn't care that he was younger he was the "one."

Wow, did she really say "weird or ugly"? I've seen her say in one of their episodes "most of them are weirdos," but calling them "ugly" is something else.

• Love 1
(edited)

I found the article: 

Several other young men attempted to woo Jessa before the congressman-turned-realtor approved of Ben, but most of them were considered creeps and weirdos. 'He's the first one she has shown interest in that has a spiritual focus and legitimate calling about ministry work,' the 48-year-old patriarch said.

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 1

Yes, in a past episode, Jessa does say that the suitor applicant requests they received were from guys who were "weirdos". You could see the look of embarrassement from Michelle that one of her daughters revealed that private family conversation exchange.. I'm sure those guys were NOT weirdos, but perhaps more mainstream,, realistic, living in the 21st century types of decent young men...you know, maybe wanting to speak with them privately, or go to lunch together WITHOUT a chaperone sitting at the same table....That is really what they think of mainstream conservative Christian America...they want no real part in having to do with any of them. Elitist snobs.

• Love 3

http://www.islandpacket.com/2015/03/04/3624445/jessa-duggar-seewald-of-19-kids.html

Duggar Seewald. Yeah, Jana and Jinger are probably next in line, and we talk with them a lot about what things are like for us. We all try to learn from each other, and the sister bonds that we have are so strong. But every relationship is so unique, so you have to take that into account. No two courtships or engagements are going to be exactly alike.

I hope that chapter mereley ways the all the other advice in the book is crap. Jill's mewling about being in love after skyping someone sealed that.

Duggar Seewald. We are open to having children biologically whenever God will give us children. We're not doing anything to prevent that.

I don't understand how these "sermons" of Ben's came to be. I haven't seen any yet,  but I hope he has an elocution coach, because his conversation and talking heads on the show...need some work.

My confusion is whether or not Ben has received a "calling". I was raised Baptist, too - though a much different kind of Baptist than the Duggars, who would consider me to be a heathen of the highest sort - and I've always been taught that a man receives a "calling"; an invitation of sorts from God to become a preacher. Has Ben ever mentioned receiving a calling, or did he just jump out there on his own? Has he mentioned an interest in attending a seminary? Is this one of Boob's ideas?

• Love 1

Finally one of the older girls admits that none of them had been in a relationship when they wrote the courting/dating chapter in their book. According to Jessa's article, it was just advice others had given them & they plan to do an update on the paperback version of the book. So I guess the revision will say it's "totally" OK to be giddy over a guy & act like a 14 yr old.

• Love 3

I gave Jessa a break on the "weirdos" comment. It was several years ago, when the girls were in their late teens. I have no doubt that the suitors Jim Bob was hearing from weren't all normal Christian teenagers or in their early 20s. As extreme as the Duggars seem, they're really just the tip of the fundie iceberg of weirdness.

• Love 2

Do these girls really think that America is sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for a paper back update from them about relationships? What can they add that would be different...they certainly can't go in to their "married experience" as it wouldn't be modest, now would it?

I understand Jessa was a teen when she made that comment, but I bet dollars to doughnuts that's exactly what SHE heard around her house from her parents and as a more inexperienced young person simply repeated it...do you remember Michelle's reaction? She "hit" Jessa in the upper arm and said "Jessa! and was quite embarrassed like she had been called out...that's exactly what Jim Bob and Michelle thought and said. I don't think they were all weirdos, just following Pops' requirements to contact him and send in an application, photo, and references from your pastor, I would imagine...now, THAT IS WEIRD!

• Love 1

It does! I think I did the same thing when I first got married. I remember how grown up I felt. LOL.

Lol, that reminds me when I went to a newly married co-worker's house a few years ago for a Scentsy party and her apartment was plastered with photos of her and her husband (some were 16x 20) and she later asked me if I thought that was vain. I wasn't tactful and said "Well -- yes!" She about died when I said that and we laughed, but she thanked me and later ended up editing her "collection". It's normal.

• Love 3