Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, lascuba said:

Sweet Jessa is a mess. She's the fakest thing about this whole fake-ass show. Worse, she's boring. Honesty would be the best chance of success for her. I'd love for her to be candid about what exactly she feel about the whole rap thing with Ben. I don't know whether she doesn't want to open the door to more internet speculation, or if she hasn't even been honest with Ben about it because headshipblahblahblah, but the whole ridiculous Flame storyline would be so much more interesting if Jessa either a)admitted that she still agrees with her parents teaching on that type of music and is really uncomfortable with Ben's interest in rap or b)says outright that she no longer (or never did) agree with her parents on that. Instead we get all the kidults joking that they don't know anything about rap while ignoring the huge elephant in the room...their parents' open and passionate hatred for non-hymnal music and dancing. The whole thing is ridiculous. If they're going to lie to the cameras, they need to create believable lies. 

Mercy, yes.  At least this would be an interesting topic for discussion.  Flame and Bin could debate, they could educate about the progression in Christian music and the differences in opinions and beliefs.

• Love 6

I'm pretty sure that Ben has said that he and Flame are very similar doctrinally, which is what drew them together as friends. If Flame is Calvinist, he's doing a great job of hiding it; his music is pretty standard Christian fare. I don't recall hearing any fire and brimstone in the samples TLC has given us. Of course, I could be way off base here, and TLC has spared us the scary stuff that Ben would REALLY identify with. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

I've always thought that the Duggar clan as whole would do better to be more real on their show instead of a giving the audience nothing but scripted moments. That goes double for Jessa. That girl should let her bitch flag fly. Not over-the-top obviously doing it to be The Bitch of the show, but just be honest in her words and reactions. The contrast between her personality and her beliefs could make for really interesting TV. I want to see more of the Jessa who confidently stated what the best way was to remove a dead tree but it wasn't going to happen because "boys make everything complicated." I want the no-nonsense Jessa who'd boss who little brothers around and roughly help them with their ties because she doesn't have the time or temperament to be sweet to those fidgety PITAs. I want the Jessa who annoyed JD with her opinions on what to do with the tree house. I REALLY want the Jessa who told Ben, "But where would I put them?" as a response to his insipid"I want to give you all the flowers in the world."  I'll even take the Jessa who sneered at the camera and said, "Yes, saying 'I love you' is allowed in courtship" as one of the most blatant "Fuck you, internet" moments ever seen on this show. 

Sweet Jessa is a mess. She's the fakest thing about this whole fake-ass show. Worse, she's boring. Honesty would be the best chance of success for her. I'd love for her to be candid about what exactly she feel about the whole rap thing with Ben. I don't know whether she doesn't want to open the door to more internet speculation, or if she hasn't even been honest with Ben about it because headshipblahblahblah, but the whole ridiculous Flame storyline would be so much more interesting if Jessa either a)admitted that she still agrees with her parents teaching on that type of music and is really uncomfortable with Ben's interest in rap or b)says outright that she no longer (or never did) agree with her parents on that. Instead we get all the kidults joking that they don't know anything about rap while ignoring the huge elephant in the room...their parents' open and passionate hatred for non-hymnal music and dancing. The whole thing is ridiculous. If they're going to lie to the cameras, they need to create believable lies. 

Bravo, it's the real that's missing from this reality show. If Jessa could say "I'm really out of my element, we didn't do this when I was growing up and I'm a bit uncomfortable, but let's give it a whirl." Instead they preach about how they do things. Then there was that horrible episode where they made a mockery of that survival company. 

Edited by sometimesy
I realize Jessa wasn't involved in that mess, but it's pretty standard for the Duggs
  • Love 7

I agree with you all. They never discuss any changes whether it be music, attire or courtship, etc. They just act like this is the way it should be now. Because, you know, the Duggar way is the right way. Even if it wasn't the Duggar way 5 minutes ago.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I do agree that she's wily and biding her time and will try to do everything you mention.

But I also wonder whether she won't ultimately prove too stupid, ignorant, unlikable and, by that time, not attractive enough to pull any of it off. Even for a good tell-all you need to be able to have been observant and sharp in the past and articulate and honest (or mendacious...ha) in the present to convey the good stuff to your ghost.

And I also wonder whether her very very committed right-wing-Christianism  didn't prevent her from seeing and understanding anything in the past and won't kind of hold her back from criticizing that aspect of things in the future. And whether she can actually become an independent enough person, with real friends in the real world, to have the guts to truly cut the cord with her parents by calling them out on their worst problems, the way you'd have to do to produce an actual tell-all.

That'll be the thing, won't it?  Will she be able to pull it off, or will she be the medium sized fish in a miniscule pond who finds out she isn't even a guppy in the great big sea.  The potential for crash and burn, especially with her lack of education and real world experience, plus the general bad will her family has built up with the years, is astonishingly high.  Consider how people mocked the death of Kocktails with Khloe?  Multiple that by a million.  This is essentially the problem with the whole model in which she was raised and which she refuses to reject wholesale - the exceptionalism upon which it's built (both American and theological) leaves no room for mediocrity and self-reflection.  If she's one of God's special snowflakes, *of course* her show will be a hit (caveat:  unless her filthy molester brother brings sin to the camp *again*).  

15 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There's a huge problem with Jessa trying to start a brand. She only does things half-assed and for short periods of time. Even with music, something that they appeared to put an effort into, while I give them credit for playing a tune or two that is recognizable, and some can read music, they're not the good.

What did Edison say? Success or genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Jessa maybe has 1% inspiration and 9% perspiration, the other 90% is up for debate.

Have you seen Buzzfeed?  All it is "life hacks" and "dump meals".  She'd fit right in with those folks.  Until she started trying to lecture some green-haired lesbian DIY crafter about the proper way to make Tater Tot Casserole via a slow cooker, and then it would be on like Donkey Kong.

(Tangential rant:  The term "dump meals" makes me that face you make when you walk by an over-full porta-potty.  I get that it's called that because you just dump the ingredients in.  Still, the word dump has so many unpleasant connotations, and the double entendre isn't particularly clever.)

• Love 6
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There's a huge problem with Jessa trying to start a brand. She only does things half-assed and for short periods of time. Even with music, something that they appeared to put an effort into, while I give them credit for playing a tune or two that is recognizable, and some can read music, they're not the good.

What did Edison say? Success or genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Jessa maybe has 1% inspiration and 9% perspiration, the other 90% is up for debate.

From what we've all observed of the Duggars, I think they have reached the ceiling of where their limited education and intellectual abilities can take them. Their music can't get any better because they aren't allowed to attend college or go to a teacher that's any good.

They have been taught all their lives that monkey see monkey do type learning is all one needs along with the Duggar brand of special snowflakery to become a self appointed expert at something. The kids think they are experts on everything, and believe themselves to be speaking with authority, but they have no idea on how officious and smug they sound.  That's Jessa to a T.

The most laughable example is Jill and Jessa, two months removed from their fist kiss, first sex, and being out from under their parents and chaperones are now "experts on marriage".

• Love 17

Sigh, I think the posters on here are more realistic than me. Jessa will not seek outside advice unless it's a plotline. Bin using an existing organization to fake his own youth group (and not acknowledging them), kind of verifies they won't move beyond the 'tv reality' which isn't reality. I haven't seen the episode, but couldn't Bin have said he was doing research by working today with XYZ, and given them some publicity? It would have completely changed the way I view Bin from that episode. Something that seemed genuine, Jessa's blessing for the venture, blah blah blah, is now tarnished as yet another Duggar contrived lie.

• Love 12

Everyone's forgetting Jessa was unemployed for two harrowing months. She used that time to sit around and beg for gift cards.

If she every got her own show it'd go the Bristol Palin route - 1 big premier, then quickly dumped on 3am and cancled.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Everyone's forgetting Jessa was unemployed for two harrowing months. She used that time to sit around and beg for gift cards.

If she every got her own show it'd go the Bristol Palin route - 1 big premier, then quickly dumped on 3am and cancled.

At least it would be finally over for all of us. We've been drawing this out. Duggars, it's not us, it's you. 

• Love 3

In jessa's defense, she's trying to work the only hustle her family has ever known = milk a TLC show. If she'd been allowed to see there are other career options that don't allow accountability partners and require some sort of education/training, then she may have done something besides grift and have babies on camera. 

• Love 6

I see your point of view, but there is no reason why Jessa cannot look at career options or have some education/training on her own. She is supposedly an adult now. Time to stop blaming mommy and daddy and TLC for her shortcomings. She is a major famewhore, and she thinks she is a special snowflake who wants her five minutes of fame without actually working for it.

Most of the adult Bates adult children, save Nathan and Trace who stayed with the family  tree biz, have had paying jobs outside the home. Even as fundie as they are, they managed some personal agency that allowed them to find some independence. It's telling that no Duggar (slight exception to Smuggar, but he also flew back to the compound every couple of weeks) has been able to break away from the cult's iron grip. Derick might have gotten checks from Wal-Mart and SOS (maybe...a stipend?), but when in AR, they live rent free in 3000 sf McMansions supplied by Daddy. Jessa lives rent free, and I strongly suspect Smuggar does as well now. That' 0-3 in the self-supporting category. All married Bates kids pay their own way. This just highlights how poorly the Duggar spawn are really prepared for real adult life. Frankly, they all live a fantasy life (even Smuggar, who can't realistically support 4 kids selling junkers) that is not sustainable for more than a year or two after they lose the show.

• Love 16

Well, the math tells me--with the birth of Jessa's new blessing, that makes 30 Mouths to Feed and Counting, provided Jeremy takes Jinger away from the compound. If she and Jeremy stay, and pop out a couple of kids, the other marrieds continue their mindless Breeding for Jeebus campaign, they will be pushing 40, particularly if more weddings and babies come along soon. 

Remember that weekend when the Bates and Duggars got together and there were over 40 of them..what a madhouse. They had some of the family on meal preparation detail, the whole time. Surely no worse than a family reunion for most families, but doing that day in and day out??

Jessa seems like she's the cheerleader for the Duggars, since she's a lot more articulate than the rest of them.  I think she got the job by default since she's "the pretty one" , and the public perception of Boob, his stunned mullet, and Smuggley Do Right is in the crapper. Though she's not that likeable to me, and it's obvious she's full of shit from the moment she opens her mouth, she's more palatable to watch than most of the others. Of course, Spurgie never disappoints with his pudgy baby cuteness, but they can only take that so far.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I see your point of view, but there is no reason why Jessa cannot look at career options or have some education/training on her own. She is supposedly an adult now. Time to stop blaming mommy and daddy and TLC for her shortcomings. She is a major famewhore, and she thinks she is a special snowflake who wants her five minutes of fame without actually working for it.

Why would she, though? She's got a good thing going. I also take issue with the "rent free." These kids are the reason that they $$$ has been flowing in from TLC. They've EARNED their housing.  

• Love 9

That's what the TLC checks are for.  Smuggar, Jill, Jessa, and now Jinger have/are receiving separate checks from the network. Buy your OWN house. Why live in Daddy's properties? THAT shows a sick dependence that illustrates their inability to become true adults. 

Although, as always, one wonders how much, if any,  show money Boob gave to his kids upon becoming of legal age (before courtships, or to the unmarried over-18's now, down to Joy). The answer to THAT question would tell us a LOT about the true dynamics of that house. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

I sincerely doubt the kidults living at home gets a paycheck. They probably get an allowance for minor stuff like thrift store shopping, gas and Starbucks, but if they're getting anything like a living wage, despite TLC and working for daddy, I'll eat my shoes. Money means freedom and since Boob is all about control, there is no way he'd do anything that would lessen his control over his kids by giving them the opportunity to save up cash for a future life independent of him.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 5

Jessa is the ringleader of this one trick dog & pony show because she is very much like Josh & JB. The 3 of them are more than willing to play the media game and try and manipulate viewers. They all think they know what the TV audience wants and will go to extremes to deliver. For one of Joshes kids, he called TLC before telling Anna if they were pregnant, so her reaction could be filmed.

Jessa kept posting teases about having twins or was it a boy or girl. She posted pics leading folks to believe that Jill & Derick were flying here or there, that were straight up lies. And now with Ben hijacking a football camp as his own. Unfortunately for Jessa her life is boringly average and she is slow to realize that non leg-humpers are on to her.

If I had a dime for every time Jessa or JB has smirkingly said - Y'all will have to wait and see... well I'd have a few dimes.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, MischaMouse said:

Why would she, though? She's got a good thing going. I also take issue with the "rent free." These kids are the reason that they $$$ has been flowing in from TLC. They've EARNED their housing.  

Well this show can't last forever and then what do they do? No education, no work experience, no marketable skills. Who would hire them for anything? What is their long term goal?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, poopchute said:

Well this show can't last forever and then what do they do? No education, no work experience, no marketable skills. Who would hire them for anything? What is their long term goal?

To be the Kutrate Kristian Kardashians?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

One small favor to ask: Many of us have been blocked from Jessa's IG and can't see the pics just posted. Can you instead upload them like we do if we steal pics from Pickles? Muchas gracias! 

Her Instagram isn't private. If you log out of Instagram, you should be able to view her posts. 

Unlike Facebook, Instagram obfuscate the URLs of their images. I can paste the URL of an image hosted by Facebook, and it will serve it up to the users here. I can link to images hosted by the Duggar's websites too. Instagram posts are different.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

Sorry, but I'm not going to inconvience myself to log out of IG to look at her posts. I just wanted to make people aware that many of us can't see them (and like me, likely have zero fucks to give to take extra measures to view them). 

I know that IG makes copy/paste of pics almost impossible, but *someone* around here knows how to do it, I just don't remember who. I don't even know my login info for IG anymore (and I've already had to create a new account since so many Duggars and Lawson Bates have such thin skins). Others have complained in comments on Duggar pages about Jessa blocking them without them doing anything other than maybe following someone she doesn't like, so it's not just me. 

/end PSA

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sorry, but I'm not going to inconvience myself to log out of IG to look at her posts. I just wanted to make people aware that many of us can't see them (and like me, likely have zero fucks to give to take extra measures to view them). 

I know that IG makes copy/paste of pics almost impossible, but *someone* around here knows how to do it, I just don't remember who. I don't even know my login info for IG anymore (and I've already had to create a new account since so many Duggars and Lawson Bates have such thin skins). Others have complained in comments on Duggar pages about Jessa blocking them without them doing anything other than maybe following someone she doesn't like, so it's not just me. 

/end PSA

Fair enough. It's just that signing in and out of Instagram takes a few clicks (with usernames and passwords autofilled). I know how to find the URL of the image and reupload it to a different host, but it  requires me to visit several websites, cut and paste stuff and fill in captchas etc. 

8FCBF29D9D3BC1D1275257A82E862356.fullsiz

1443F00440BDEEC78C1B35744704422F.img-405

D79ECC1990FF5A7A074216E69E3B5962.img-417

1AB7793808BEBAD6BF153D27FB88EC02.img-416

602C8DF2D1D93F68F5A2B5C4DB18F514.fullsiz

Hummel figurine 7B3725AB1A4B86E6605A818FCD117ED2.img-416

• Love 6

Eeeee!!!

Boob Boob and more Boob.

Kid is cute. Looks happy. And clean.

Odd little "It's the most wonderful time of the year" sweater. A black Christmas sweater? Maybe they're going for emo. 

• Love 1

I think he's a cutie. 

One thing though.... I had a wood burner/ pellet stove, once upon a time. It was off limits even when it wasn't the season to be in use. I see they have a child lock on the handles, but he shouldn't even be able to get to it, imo of course!

• Love 4

The pic up there with Spurge holding onto the fireplace screen made me gasp. One of my kids sliced his wrist open playing around a brass frame like that at about the same age. Clean slice....didn't even cry, but needed stitches.

Kid looks just like Boob and Joshley. Yikes.

Xmas shirt could be PJs, so she gets a pass.

Oops...no outlet covers. Tsk. Thought that was a whole episode....childproofing.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, drafan said:

The pic up there with Spurge holding onto the fireplace screen made me gasp. One of my kids sliced his wrist open playing around a brass frame like that at about the same age. Clean slice....didn't even cry, but needed stitches.

Kid looks just like Boob and Joshley. Yikes.

Xmas shirt could be PJs, so she gets a pass.

Oops...no outlet covers. Tsk. Thought that was a whole episode....childproofing.

The piano pic is at the TTH. 

Since when have Duggars have truly been into safety precautions for little ones? The lock on the firebox is the first REAL childproofing I've seen from any of them. I think we all agree that the babyproofing episode was all for show. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Since when have Duggars have truly been into safety precautions for little ones? The lock on the firebox is the first REAL childproofing I've seen from any of them. I think we all agree that the babyproofing episode was all for show. 

I'm thinking this was Ben's influence.  Although he is young, he does seem to have a smidgeon of common sense.  Or maybe Spurge kept getting into the ashes and making a royal mess. Perfect way to keep that from happening!  

Im just hoping they have a good, solid screen to put up around the stove when it's in use.  Or, maybe, they won't use it this winter at all!

Ohhhhhh the momdar goes off with this...and the sharp edges on the concrete pad underneath.  

• Love 3

Interest in them really is waning, isn't it? I keep forgetting that Smuggette is expecting again. Is she not posting selfies every day now? Even the leghumpers are mightily pissed off with the show, judging by the comments on the CO page.

She must be raging that she's not getting as much attention as she feels she's entitled to

• Love 6

If the kids are really as isolated as we think, I bet their "internet friends" seem very real and important. Ha, I should talk, the way I live on this site! But I do have real friends. I am curious about the emotional satisfaction the girls, especially, may receive from the kind remarks they get via social media. 

Another question - I wonder if the married women are allowed to be home alone. Because if they wanted to sin (and I don't think they do), they could always have a pizza man or pool boy or something come by. A la the porn that Josh would know about. I am kidding, of course, but I do wonder if these people think Jessa and Jill are able to be home alone without accountability partners. Because if not, there is another reason to keep everyone living close; you would never know when another Duggar might drop by. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

If the kids are really as isolated as we think, I bet their "internet friends" seem very real and important. Ha, I should talk, the way I live on this site! But I do have real friends. I am curious about the emotional satisfaction the girls, especially, may receive from the kind remarks they get via social media. 

Another question - I wonder if the married women are allowed to be home alone. Because if they wanted to sin (and I don't think they do), they could always have a pizza man or pool boy or something come by. A la the porn that Josh would know about. I am kidding, of course, but I do wonder if these people think Jessa and Jill are able to be home alone without accountability partners. Because if not, there is another reason to keep everyone living close; you would never know when another Duggar might drop by. 

Good point.  Keep 'em down on the farm.  Even the marrieds don't really have too much latitude to exercise their supposed new found freedoms. They get to be without chaperones and have married people sex.  Besides that, everything else seems like it's the same old same old, since they all come running back to the compound for meals and laundry service.

• Love 4