Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But at least I was able to come up with saddle shoes, medicine man and The Planets!  I guess saddle shoes were before the contestants' time. 

I got those as well, despite the shoes (and The Planets, haha) being before my time (although I do remember a girl on my freshman hall wearing them).

Tickets to the National Museum of African American History and Culture are hard to come by. I'm going in April and am excited!

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3

Yay, Jill!  That was a good, close game.

I got saddle shoes (not before my time - I loved those shoes), medicine man, and Murano.

I was clueless for FJ.  

Have a good time at the museum, @dcalley.  It looks amazing.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

My mistake!  Your journalism teacher had excellent taste, and yes, saddle shoes was a TS, surprisingly.

But.  There was a picture!  How did they not get it with a PICTURE?

• Love 3

Watching the game, I was just thinking that there weren't any TSs when the saddle shoe one popped up. I got that as well as Murano and The Planets. I also got Hades, though I was worried I had the Greek or Roman instead of the Roman or Greek.

• Love 2

Ugh...saddle shoes.  How that dredges up horrific memories from my youth.  Attending parochial school, they were required footwear for K-8 grades.  Not only was I ever-so-bored with them after all those years, my mother made me polish them twice a week and it was a pain to keep the white polish off the leather portion and the brown sole.  Never wore them again after graduation, but they might give me nightmares tonight. Thanks a bunch, Jeopardy!

• Love 5

I got saddle shoes because there was a period in the late 80s or early 90s where dressing up in poodle skirts was a super popular costume. I got FJ because I recently read a cheesy paranormal romance that talked about Hades being Poseidon's brother. 

• Love 3

They had a "Hey, It's That Guy!" category! Cool!

I really liked that category too, and also the one with Latin names of Broadway shows.

The only TS I got was overture, and had no clue for FJ. I definitely don't recall Hades being Poseidon's brother.

I also appreciated Alex' shoutout to the museum; it sounded genuine, and he said it was important to history (not just AA history).

• Love 5

I wore them in Catholic grade school & high school, and we called them oxfords as well.

Like YoureSoUrban, I liked the "Hey It's That Guy" category (ran it), and Broadway plays in Latin category (missed Kinky Boots). I normally hate when the contestants do not save video clues for last since they take up so much time, but the AA museum category was fascinating. 

Lisa bugged me toward the end of her run, but she was a great player. We'll be seeing her again in the TOC. 

• Love 4

I never wore saddle shoes, in school or elsewhere, so could not think of their name. I did know medicine man and The Planets. FJ was an instaget for a myth geek. In canon mythology, Poseidon has only Zeus and Hades for brothers (Triton is his son). Zeus made no sense in the context of the clue. 

It's rare that a category comes up combining two of my biggest interests, Broadway shows and Latin. I could not think of Kinky Boots, although I should have. The crazy emperor often called "Caligula" is being called by his nickname, "Little Boot," because as a child he would accompany his dad on military campaigns and they gave him a kiddie-sized pair of soldier boots. And that's my fun fact for the day.

Congrats to Jill. She looks like Lisa's sister.

• Love 4

I wore saddle shoes attending Catholic grade school also, but we called them oxfords.

If I had been a contestant, it still would have been a TS, because I, too, referred to them as saddle oxfords. I always wanted a pair, but my mother said they were too hard to take care of.

I guessed Oceanus for FJ. Never heard any part of the ocean, trenches or sea level, being called Hades. Missed most of the Latin Bway shows. Knew "The Planets" as soon as AT said, "Holst."

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

They showed photos of Queen Victoria and Malcolm X and just had them name the person? Seriously??

IKR? As I posted last night I enjoyed the AA museum category very much, but the clues boiled down to - 

Name the holiday that many AAs celebrate in late December

Name Thomas Jefferson's plantation

ID these 2 very well known historical figures from pictures

Name the capital of Alabama

I realize that the purpose was to showcase the museum, but sheesh. Teen Tournament clues for sure. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I definitely don't recall Hades being Poseidon's brother.

I remembered that Poseidon had a brother I should remember...

The CCH Pounder clue threw me - I never knew she used any other name, and so I couldn't grasp what they were asking.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I could not think of Kinky Boots, although I should have. The crazy emperor often called "Caligula" is being called by his nickname, "Little Boot," because as a child he would accompany his dad on military campaigns and they gave him a kiddie-sized pair of soldier boots. And that's my fun fact for the day.

That IS a fun fact. Thanks.

I hadn't heard of Hades as a deep area in the ocean, but it must have been stuck in my brain that Hades was Poseidon's brother, and then it made sense that deep ocean trenches would be called that.

• Love 2

1) I didn't think Hades was hard - got it right away - despite Alex's statement it was a "tough one" and all three contestants missing it.

I wasn't sure about the ocean part of the clue, but it did reference Poseidon's brother, and the two I knew of are Hades and Zeus.  Zeus didn't seem right for something deep under the ocean, so Hades was my answer.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Lucy Van Pelt in the Peanuts comic always wore saddle shoes, too. Just one of those details.

I always associate saddle shoes with Bobby Soxers who swooned over Frank Sinatra.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I always associate saddle shoes with Bobby Soxers who swooned over Frank Sinatra.

Peanuts debuted in newspapers in 1950 so that is the right era for bobby soxers and Frank Sinatra. Although I don't remember Lucy Van Pelt ever swooning over Frank Sinatra.

• Love 2

Is it just me, or was there a ton of chatter and giggling in this episode? It didn't bother me at all, but I did find extremely weird.

There was a moment when the woman in the middle, Jody I think, gave a wrong answer, then looked back and forth at her opponents, but no one else rang in. I think she knew the right answer as soon as she said the wrong one, and thought it was super obvious, and was surprised someone else didn't pick it up. Can anyone remember what it was?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Why are tickets to the African American History Museum hard to come by?

It's only been open a few months and is very popular. To deal with the crowds and to reduce wait times, the museum distributes timed-entry passes but has had problems with the process. Even without the technological problems, there is just more demand than there are passes right now.

This was a weird game.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Fex said:

Is it just me, or was there a ton of chatter and giggling in this episode? It didn't bother me at all, but I did find extremely weird.

I noticed and am on the other end of the spectrum because that drives me bonkers.  Just shhh and play the game.

Why did it have to be soft contact lens?  Contact lens was not sufficient because...?

I knew I had at some point in my life heard what sawyer was a reference to, but not enough to remember what it actually was so I could get FJ.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Why did it have to be soft contact lens?  Contact lens was not sufficient because...?

I think because the clue referenced a new kind of plastic that made this particular type of lens possible in 1971.  There were glass and hard plastic lenses before that, but HEMA (I think that's the name of it) allowed for the creation of soft lenses.

I had it as HUMA (must be thinking of Anthony Weiner).  I just looked it up, and it's actually HEMA.  Sorry!

Edited by Mondrianyone
Sp correction
  • Love 7

I was about to say the same thing about the contacts. There were hard lenses before 1971. Comfy soft lenses were a big deal when they came along.

It seemed to me like they had gotten chummy beforehand (though of course I don't know). It didn't bug me either, I just assumed they were instant friends and were having fun while competing. 

• Love 5

Congrats to Jody.  I'm surprised she won since she seemed so unsure of herself on a couple of her big answers.  There did seem to be a lot of giggling and background noises during the game.

I call total B.S. on giving Lauren credit for parking boot.  It's a Denver boot and even has those words stamped on them. I even noticed the wording on one on a car in London I saw on vacation once.  That was one of the TS's I got.  The other was Buffalo Bill Cody (I think that's the answer Jody was looking around afterwards, @Fex)

I thought FJ wanted the department so I answered Dept. of Agriculture, of which the U.S. Forest Service is part.  Probably would have ruled me incorrect for too much information even though All Quiet on the Western Front was accepted, which it shouldn't have been.

http://www.denverboot.com

• Love 6

Not just you, but the giggle sisters drove me nuts. I'm so glad Jody won. I'm guessing she'll be a one and done though.

The crazy emperor often called "Caligula" is being called by his nickname, "Little Boot," because as a child he would accompany his dad on military campaigns and they gave him a kiddie-sized pair of soldier boots. And that's my fun fact for the day.

That's a good one - thanks!

I call BS on letting Jody get by with that DD when it called for an "area". Since when do they give credit when your answer is too much info and also doesn't correspond to the way the answer is phrased? Oddly enough, something told me that as soon as Alex read it she was going to give the title. 

Anyway, I only got one TS (Buffalo Bill Cody) and I blew FJ; I guessed the EPA.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Trey said:

Peanuts debuted in newspapers in 1950 so that is the right era for bobby soxers and Frank Sinatra. Although I don't remember Lucy Van Pelt ever swooning over Frank Sinatra.

She just swooned over Schroeder!

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Actually Denver boot appears to be only one of several names for basically the same device--and a name I had never heard of.   For whatever it's worth, it's also the last of 4 names listed on the Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_clamp

But they mentioned the inventor and he invented the Denver boot. 

"The Denver Boot was invented in 1953 by a gentleman by the name of Frank Marugg. Besides being an inventor, he was a musician with the Denver Symphony Orchestra, and a pattern maker. He was a friend to many politicians and police department officials in Denver.

The Denver Sheriff's Department came to him to ask for help with their parking enforcement problem. Frank and the Sheriff decided to build a device to immobilize vehicles whose owners didn’t pay their outstanding parking tickets. He invented and patented the Denver Boot."

• Love 2

I got the US Forest Service. I really dislike the new champ. She was talking so low as if her mike was off. She mumbled and spoke so softly I could barely hear her. 

The "All Quiet on the Western Front" was a weird clue. I immediately knew that the clue referred to this book, and therefore I was trying to remember where the book took place, and all I could think of was  France? Belgium? then I was trying to think of a specific battle or battle field or area mentioned in the book (the Somme?)

The answer was The Western Front..Where did the the battle in all Quiet on the Western Front take place? The Western front--which is like "what color is George washington's white horse" kind of thing. Duh! 

What do you think about them giving her credit for it?

I also knew the "Poirot" answer- sort of-- because I couldn't think of the actual name  but I said "the one that Alex likes to pronounce all French that they talk about his pronunciation in the Previously TV forum"! I had to laugh that it certainly was and he repeated the answer all Frenchified, I was cracking up.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Jody.  I'm surprised she won since she seemed so unsure of herself on a couple of her big answers.  There did seem to be a lot of giggling and background noises during the game.

I call total B.S. on giving Lauren credit for parking boot.  It's a Denver boot and even has those words stamped on them. I even noticed the wording on one on a car in London I saw on vacation once.  That was one of the TS's I got.  The other was Buffalo Bill Cody (I think that's the answer Jody was looking around afterwards, @Fex)

I thought FJ wanted the department so I answered Dept. of Agriculture, of which the U.S. Forest Service is part.  Probably would have ruled me incorrect for too much information even though All Quiet on the Western Front was accepted, which it shouldn't have been.

http://www.denverboot.com

Yes, that was it, Buffalo Bill! Thank you.

I never heard the term Denver Boot. I've actually only heard just plain "boot", which couldn't have been the answer given that "boot" was in the category title, so I was absolutely clueless on what the answer could possibly be!

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Fex said:

Yes, that was it, Buffalo Bill! Thank you.

I never heard the term Denver Boot. I've actually only heard just plain "boot", which couldn't have been the answer given that "boot" was in the category title, so I was absolutely clueless on what the answer could possibly be!

Yeah as someone who has watched my fair share of Parking Wars they always just call it a boot.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

It seemed to me like they had gotten chummy beforehand (though of course I don't know). It didn't bug me either, I just assumed they were instant friends and were having fun while competing. 

That was my impression. They seemed like best friends and were not at all competitive -- I mean, that's how it appeared to me, not how it actually was. 

I got Buffalo Bill. I guessed The National Park Service for FJ. 

• Love 2

I have been waiting for this show to ask a WWI "first gas attack" question, because the standard answer for where it occurred is at the 2nd battle of Ypres. However, in reality, that was the first use of poison gas. The first general gas attack, using liquified tear gas that actually was too cold to be effective, was on the Eastern Front against the Russians at Bolimov. But, the way this question was worded, I would have answered the Western Front but brought it up with someone behind the scenes later to correct them. 

I did get FJ right, since I know that sawyers saw wood. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, operalover said:

I got the US Forest Service. I really dislike the new champ. She was talking so low as if her mike was off. She mumbled and spoke so softly I could barely hear her. 

The "All Quiet on the Western Front" was a weird clue. I immediately knew that the clue referred to this book, and therefore I was trying to remember where the book took place, and all I could think of was  France? Belgium? then I was trying to think of a specific battle or battle field or area mentioned in the book (the Somme?)

The answer was The Western Front..Where did the the battle in all Quiet on the Western Front take place? The Western front--which is like "what color is George washington's white horse" kind of thing. Duh! 

What do you think about them giving her credit for it?

I also knew the "Poirot" answer- sort of-- because I couldn't think of the actual name  but I said "the one that Alex likes to pronounce all French that they talk about his pronunciation in the Previously TV forum"! I had to laugh that it certainly was and he repeated the answer all Frenchified, I was cracking up.

It was a weird clue for the "western front" answer.  that bugs me about the writers at times.  Some of the "answers" are either so long or ambiguously worded that I honestly don't know what they are looking for.  I think that was the case here for the contestant, she knew the book but wasn't really sure what they were after and probably thought "Western front" was an odd way to phrase it, so she just said the whole book name. 

I never knew it was  called a Denver boot. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I have been waiting for this show to ask a WWI "first gas attack" question, because the standard answer for where it occurred is at the 2nd battle of Ypres. However, in reality, that was the first use of poison gas. The first general gas attack, using liquified tear gas that actually was too cold to be effective, was on the Eastern Front against the Russians at Bolimov. But, the way this question was worded, I would have answered the Western Front but brought it up with someone behind the scenes later to correct them. 

I did get FJ right, since I know that sawyers saw wood. 

If she had said the 2nd battle of Ypres she would have been ruled wrong. I thought they were looking for something like that. I hope she is a one and done - I was annoyed with the speaking under her breath and the mumbling.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

I knew I had at some point in my life heard what sawyer was a reference to, but not enough to remember what it actually was so I could get FJ.

My mind went "sawyer, saw, logs, National Forest Service, yay!".

I got Western Front, although that seemed pretty non-specific.  Not surprise they gave it to her; the judges tend to be okay with giving too much information as long as the right info is in there.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I had to mute the Poirot clue because I knew Alex was going to get all Frenchified.  "Yes, Er-cule POIROOOO."  It's sad that it's a given that will be mentioned here  LOL

I really don't understand why he feels the need to do this, especially for a right answer. Is it in his contract that at least one answer per game can be "Frenchified"?

• Love 5