Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

How the hell did these kids not know Sesame Street?  That show is still on.  Every kid in every generation for fifty years has been exposed to that show at some point.  

The category title in DJ with "like" in it offended me on a cellular level.

Lucia did NOT phrase her answer in the form of a question at the end of DJ, I don't care how quickly she spoke.

I never watched Sesame Street, so that clue meant nothing to me because it didn't mention the few SS characters I know.  I do, however, agree with the rest of your post.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Pallida said:

It was "who is" pronounced almost like "whose."

You guys have better ears than I do; I didn't hear anything which sounded like a question.  I think I may need to get my hearing checked - thanks, Jeopardy!

Kit Carson seems to coming up quite a bit on the boards. Forgive me for not being aware of this, but what is the origin for why he's something of a meme here?

It goes back to a couple of games last season.  In the first game, a contestant was allowed to answer "Roosevelt" and "Adams" for clues in a category about presidents, without being required to specify which President Roosevelt or which President Adams.  In a game the same week (possibly the very next game), a contestant was told to be more specific when she answered "Carson" for a clue requesting the name of the explorer for whom the capital of Nevada was named; she couldn't come up with "Kit" and was penalized.  Hence our inserting "Carson" or "Kit" into any answer where a last name was deemed sufficient despite there being more than one famous person with that last name, or into any answer where the contestant was told to be more specific when there was only one famous person with the name.  Hence "Carson Nehru", or our litany of other names for the recent Kit Carson clue (Johnny, Rachel, etc.).

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7

The funny thing is that I have never heard of the Tellymunster, it just sounded like a Sesame Street thing.  But I did watch the show growing up and still have a set of books I got at the grocery store in the early 80's so that frame of reference probably helped.

• Love 3

Sesame Street came out in 1969.  I was in high school.  Judy Blume also wrote her first book then.  I don't have kids so I know very little about either one.  Actually, I know less than nothing about Blume.  Get off my lawn!

Thanks for explaining Kit Carson for the other poster @proserpina65.  I couldn't remember the entire story.

• Love 2

Lucia's comeback at the end of the game was great to watch.  Too bad after being so daring on those Double Jeopardys she went all conservative on the last question.  But I understand she was playing for a spot in the next round and didn't want to blow her chances if she got it wrong.

I was always more of a Captain Kangaroo kid, I only watched Sesame Street from time to time.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3

I also was a Captain Kangaroo kid.  I didn't really watch Sesame Street until I started babysitting and the kids watched it.  I guess I absorbed enough (also I LOVE the Muppets!) to be able to figure out that Telly Monster is a Sesame Street character.

I think I was just about the right age for Judy Blume's books.  I remember surreptitiously passing "Forever" around when I was 16ish.

• Love 2

Judy Blume is on the American Library Association's "most frequently challenged authors of the 21st century" list--yes, 21st century. If people are still challenging her, kids must still be reading her books. I hope they are.

• Love 5

Poor little Jasmine was trying like everything to ring in.  I really liked Sharath and glad he got a wildcard.  Couldn't stand board jumping, starting in the middle Michael.

I see Alex's little girlfriend, Lucia, got a wildcard.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Fo' shizzle, Clare.

Was Alex condescending to the girl on the end when she rang in for the first time or did I mishear him?

Yes, he said something snarky about how much better the buzzer works when she doesn't wave her arm.

• Love 2

I had to record tonight's game, and I'm trying to watch now. It's almost unbearable with all the not starting at the tops of the categories.  I did feel a little bad for Jasmine, though. She just couldn't seem to get the hang of the buzzer.

Took me a bit, but I did finally get FJ -- not sure if I would have had time to write it down.

• Love 1

I didn't get FJ. I didn't have any idea. Maybe the first element was a hint, but I'd had too much wine to pick up on it.

One TS I got: Snow Falling on Cedars. I love that book.

The board jumping irked me to no end.

• Love 2

I couldn't stand Michael.  I was hoping he'd flame out but he did very well.  He almost had a runaway until the last two clues.  I'm glad  Sharath made it to the finals .  Poor Jasmine.  I think Alex was actually trying to help her with the buzzer comment.  I didn't get any snark from him this time.   

I got Snow Falling on Cedars.  I took a wild guess on FJ by sounding out the beginning letters of those elements and actually came up with a name.  I surprised myself.

Lucia really won me over with her gutsy DD wager.  I'm glad she made it to the finals.  I think she knew she had enough for a wild card spot and decided to just protect that with her FJ wager. 

• Love 1

Michael was a dead ringer for this douchy kid I went to high school with 25 years ago, so I couldn't root for him even if he didn't board jump.  The scattershot category picking had me confused at one point; I thought they were in the football category but were actually in the presidential code name category, and I was seriously perplexed how Andrew Jackson was a football player. LOL

I just don't know how "(the) Real World" could be a TS.  It's been on continuously for 24 years now. Even if you've never seen an episode, surely its existence is in the collective American consciousness by now to have heard of it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SierraMist said:

Poor Jasmine.  I think Alex was actually trying to help her with the buzzer comment.  I didn't get any snark from him this time.   

The only times she could successfully buzz in was when the guys didn't try to answer. She kept locking herself out. 

• Love 4

Poor little Jasmine was trying like everything to ring in.  

I'm surprised she didn't yell out, "My buzzer isn't working!  My buzzer isn't working!"

I swear, if I ran the show and the contestants were hopping all over the place, I would keep moving the Daily Double up to the top/1st question.  I know they can't, but I'd love it.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I just don't know how "(the) Real World" could be a TS.  It's been on continuously for 24 years now. Even if you've never seen an episode, surely its existence is in the collective American consciousness by now to have heard of it.

I guessed Big Brother. I've never watched either, but I forgot that the category was MTV, otherwise I might have guessed The Real World. Like you said, the board-hopping made it hard to keep up with which category they were in.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't get FJ. I didn't have any idea. Maybe the first element was a hint, but I'd had too much wine to pick up on it.

One TS I got: Snow Falling on Cedars. I love that book.

The board jumping irked me to no end.

I didn't either.  Might've helped if I'd remember that cobalt's symbol is CO, but probably not.

• Love 1

The elements are always my downfall but I easily got final Jeopardy and my lack of knowledge of the symbols helped because I just took the first two letters of each element and sounded it out. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Good game as Lucia mounted another come-from-behind second round campaign.

On FJ, I knew it must be a character from Lord of the Flies, and the only one whose name I could remember was Piggy.  So that's what I went with.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the game; those with a seesawing lead are the most fun. I see schools still assign Lord of the Flies. FJ would have been impossible if the contestants had not read the book. 

I was amused by Sharath explaining to Alex what the Prado is!

• Love 3

I have never read Lord of the Flies.  I know the basic story, but would never in a million years have come up with one of the characters (or known what his last line was). 

I was happy to see that Sharath knew A Wrinkle In Time, though!  One of my most favorite books ever. 

• Love 4

Congrats to Sharath!  I liked Lily, too; she always started at the top.  I'm soooo glad Lucia didn't win.  She should have been dinged for Mary Antoinette instead of Marie Antoinette.  Unless I'm incorrect and Marie is pronounced Mary in French.

Clueless on FJ.  I've read Lord of the Rings but didn't remember that or the characters' names.

• Love 5

After years of hearing them call Marie Claire magazine "Mary Claire" on Project Runway, I gave up wondering.

I could tell FJ was Lord of the Flies, but also have never read it, so wouldn't have known a character's name. 

• Love 2

I couldn't remember Lord of the Flies, and I didn't get Piggy.

Pretty good game, despite missing some easy (I thought) clues. Christening, wreath, and hate crime. I don't know if they could have gotten Berlin from the clue without having seen the movie.

• Love 4

Lucia lost me when she thought a fairy tale involving a little girl and wolf was Cinderella.  I watched all the quarter finals but I had no memory of Lily. I liked Sharath, I'm glad he won.

9 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I've never actually read Lord of the Flies but the one character I know is Piggy, so I squeaked by LOL

Ditto.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The only artist I got in the in the lyric category was Rachel Platten and that is only because it was used as Hillary Clintons theme song.

I got zero in that category. I recognized the Platten lyrics, but I didn't know her name.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oooh, I forgot the Mary Antoinette thing -- Lucia definitely should have been dinged for that.

Nothing against her, but I was glad she didn't end up winning. After getting that clue right, she landed on the Daily Double and won $5000. I would have been annoyed if she had won because Alex didn't notice the pronunciation.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Roaster said:

Good game as Lucia mounted another come-from-behind second round campaign.

On FJ, I knew it must be a character from Lord of the Flies, and the only one whose name I could remember was Piggy.  So that's what I went with.

I also figured it had to be a character from Lord of the Flies, which I've never read.  So I had no idea of any characters' names.  Other than FJ, though, I did pretty well.  Except for the song category, where the only answer I knew was the Biebs.  And yes, I hate myself for knowing that one.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

Even though I liked Lucia, she lost me when she thought Detroit was on Lake Michigan.  And then Cinderella instead of Little Red Riding Hood.  Glad Sharath won.  I couldn't believe none of them got hate crime.

• Love 6

I agree with you SierraMist.  As a proud Detroiter, I am always glad to hear it's name as a legitimate answer on Jeopardy but we are nowhere near Lake Michigan.  Also if I am not mistaken, she got a question wrong in the preliminary rounds by saying Detroit as the answer when it should have been Chicago.  I realize they are kids but learn your Great Lakes people and know which side of the Mitten the Motor City is on.  :-)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

Also if I am not mistaken, she got a question wrong in the preliminary rounds by saying Detroit as the answer when it should have been Chicago.

I thought I remembered that! Glad the old mind isn't going, after all.

• Love 2

My husband and I were ready to storm the Jeopardy! studios if Emily wasn't retroactively deemed correct with her text answer.  However Connor should have only been given the money he lost, because they can't both give a right answer and she rang in first.

• Love 4

I couldn't understand why she was ruled wrong in the first place, either.  Good on her for making that a true daily double -- only one moves on from this round, might as well be bold.

Connor looked like he was about to give himself a hernia with the buzzer.

I also said Vatican City for FJ, even though I knew it was wrong.

• Love 2