Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Big Fat Breakup

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, fountain said:

The one thing I am tired of with this show is the so much focus on exercise and often the extreme exercises.  For example the stairs.  Whit can barely walk with this kind of exercise she is just going to twist an ankle or bruise her legs and then be really out.

Agree. It was disturbing to see her RUNNING DOWN the stairs, with Will's encouragement. Every step she runs down puts 4x her body weight on her knee. That's really the only thing Will has done with her that has made me cringe.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, fountain said:

Whit is so different than many of the people on 600lb life in that she has resources.  Many of the people on that show just cannot afford health care and better foods and are just over whelmed financially.  Whit can afford a great trainer so she could afford a counsellor to help with her food addiction/depression, dieticians for meal planning and she could probably afford a meal service or chef to help teach her to prepare meals.  It is sad that she has so many resources and just cannot improve.

This could also be a description of Oprah. She's not as overweight as Whitney is AFAIK, but for years has struggled to lose weight even while having access to, and using, the very best in personal trainers, nutritionists, personal chefs, etc. 

Oprah and Whitney should be enough proof to anyone that when someone is grossly overweight, there's something far more going on than just needing the right trainer or cook. Food addiction does not respond to any of that, and I'm convinced that that's what's really going on with morbidly obese individuals whether they're Oprah, Whitney, or any of the welfare-supported people on 600-lb Life. In the end, they're all the same. 

• Love 14

Great observation,  okerry. I've wondered that same thing about Oprah for years.  Weight Watchers was a good educational program for me,  but in the end--it's a personal,  inside job. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, TotoGirl said:

1000%-THIS^^^!!! As someone who is supposedly the 'voice' and 'face' of No BS---I would expect that she be the embodiment of her message----that shaming actions and words NEVER happen from her....BUT, Twit has repeatedly shamed others for their appearance...

ETA: A bit off-topic...but I swear I'm going to scream if I hear 'body-shame' again....how about 'No People Shame' or 'Don't Shame' instead???

Whit's "no body shame" campaign is completely narcisisstic: no body shaming ME; I, however, can shame people however and whenever I want.

• Love 18

Well, if she did all the things that you mention and got herself in gear to a normal (healthy) life, she'd lose her show, IMO...unless they changed the name and the concept....with Whit's personality and psych "defenses" she's stuck in the cycle of rationalizing everything she does and "blaming and complaining."  That behavior will keep her spiraling downward through every phase of her addiction.  As the inimitable Dr. Phil has said on many occasions:  (it's been years since I watched his show but still remember this quote)  "You can't fix what you don't acknowledge."  I noticed when she was "defending herself" with friend, Tal, she broke into tears (crocodile) saying:  "I think there's something wrong with me!!"  DUH...OK, so what, I thought, are you going to do to find out and correct???  Whit's behavior is addict behavior and until and unless she gets intensive therapy and all the other things your post mentioned, she's doomed to repeat the "same old, same old" tactics that have contributed to her extremely unhealthy healthy, BUT have caused TLC to buy a new season of her show...there are always "secondary gains" to addiction!!

• Love 8

Very purposeful that Whit has been posting workouts with Will. I wouldn't be surprised if she comes back next season lighter. I honestly would be thrilled. Right now, I seriously can't stand her but I would truly love to see her beat this. Otherwise, she is gonna be just like Dr. Now's patients.

• Love 6

I think Whit took a dive over the edge of the brink when you can't put on your own shoes.   The cake stuffing scene and gleefully eating pizza after her dancing faint and hospital scare convinced me.  

• Love 9
On 8/3/2016 at 10:00 PM, Brooklynista said:

In what world does a trainer show up to watch a person run up some stairs? I've paid trainers $100 an hour, their time is their livelihood.  They ain't just showing up to cheer you on. TLC is cutting a lot of extra credit checks.

And I love how when it looks like Will isn't going to show up she's just ready to go home. Because it's all about having an audience. Love her, hate her, she HAS to have an audience! 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, okerry said:

This could also be a description of Oprah. She's not as overweight as Whitney is AFAIK, but for years has struggled to lose weight even while having access to, and using, the very best in personal trainers, nutritionists, personal chefs, etc. 

Oprah and Whitney should be enough proof to anyone that when someone is grossly overweight, there's something far more going on than just needing the right trainer or cook. Food addiction does not respond to any of that, and I'm convinced that that's what's really going on with morbidly obese individuals whether they're Oprah, Whitney, or any of the welfare-supported people on 600-lb Life. In the end, they're all the same. 

Oprah was about 230 at her heaviest ever. Even when she was really skinny in the 80's she had only lost 67 lbs to get there. That's a lot but nowhere close to what Whitney needs to do. I've never seen Oprah as grossly overweight or morbidly obese. I think she is an example of a person who let Hollywood get in her head and make her feel like she needed to be something she isn't. Maybe I'm crazy but Oprah has always looked good to me and yeah she has a booty but she lives a healthy lifestyle. She's also 62 years old. I don't think she's a good comparison to Whitney.

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 21

Todd was the MVP of this episode for me. He called the glove compartment the "glove department," which I found adorable, and I'm choosing to assume his response to Whitney's explanation for her insane purple makeup ("I believe what you feel") is some kind of New Age equivalent to "bless your heart".

• Love 16

Agree that Todd really came through for her. He's a good friend. He looked good dancing too.

What does Lenny do for a living? I know he likes to paint...

Whitney has sobbed each episode, right? I don't think that's very fabulous. She really would have a wonderful life if she dropped 150 pounds.

I think Roy was adorable. I would have dated him in a second. They obviously manufactured the cuts to make it looks like he had a crush on her.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, okerry said:

Eh, Oprah has thyroid issues among other medical issues making it hard for her to maintain a healthy weight.  Even when she does the right thing it is very difficult for her to control her weight.  She has to be on a very strict diet plus at this point she is a lot older than Whitney and that plays no small part in weight maintenance and metabolism.  So the two are not a good side by side comparison, IMHO.  Whitney is a person who would likely be able to lose weight if she really tried and it's clear that she's not even trying.

• Love 5

For a guy who said he didn't like ballroom dancing, Todd seemed to do OK. 

Lenny is a bad actor and he's clearly phoning it in for the money.

As much as I like Will, I think the only reason he let Whitney go in the first place is to protect his image.  Otherwise he too is fine with the money no matter whether Whitney is succeeding or not.

Whitney is delusional if she thinks the radio station guy has a crush on her.  Then again, I think that's in the script too.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I've read somewhere that Lenny works part-time, teaching classes at a Michael's craft store.  And makes awful paintings.

So he works part-time, she works one day a week.  These are the conflicting schedules that keep them from spending time together?  So sad that the universe is so against their love!  If only these crazy kids could make it work!  Tragic.

• Love 21

I've seen a few of Lennie's paintings online for sale.  I think he does others things like teach painting.  I think I saw that from his Facebook page and another where he sold paintings.  He isn't my style, but if he is successful at it, I say go for it.  (Last sentence may not be grammatically correct, so sorry if is).

Edited by mzskyhawk00
Added sentence
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Snarklepuss said:

For a guy who said he didn't like ballroom dancing, Todd seemed to do OK. 

Lenny is a bad actor and he's clearly phoning it in for the money.

As much as I like Will, I think the only reason he let Whitney go in the first place is to protect his image.  Otherwise he too is fine with the money no matter whether Whitney is succeeding or not.

Whitney is delusional if she thinks the radio station guy has a crush on her.  Then again, I think that's in the script too.

Snarklepuss - which part? Roy the station guy having a crush on her? Twitney believing that he has a crush on her? Or all of the above?

• Love 3

I do think that Oprah has been really honest and forth coming about her challenges.  I do think there is more to it then food and that is why I also included that Whit has resources for therapy.  On 600lb life they are often sent to therapy, which would be of benefit if a food addiction is at play.  However, Whit has said on many occasions now that she doesn't know how to properly feed herself.  Now it is 3 seasons in and not once do I recall any real discussion about diet outside of Glen's containers and Will's photos.  We have seen evidence that Whit just eats what she wants.  It also seems that when Whit last lost weight she may have starved herself some so she doesn't know anything about moderation.

As we have seen first hand Whit eating badly (pizza, cookies, coffees, etc.) I just won't get on board with the fact that calories in calories out won't improve her weight.  Sorry but this metabolism stuff cannot be an argument for Whit until she actually eats and stays on a 1600-2000 calorie lifestyle.  Sorry, but a lot of people cannot eat things like pizza, cookies and lattes regularly.  It is just life.  Even if Whit cannot get down below 250lbs due to her PCOS, it doesn't mean she should just give in and be 400lbs.

• Love 11
56 minutes ago, fountain said:

I do think that Oprah has been really honest and forth coming about her challenges.  I do think there is more to it then food and that is why I also included that Whit has resources for therapy.  On 600lb life they are often sent to therapy, which would be of benefit if a food addiction is at play.  However, Whit has said on many occasions now that she doesn't know how to properly feed herself.  Now it is 3 seasons in and not once do I recall any real discussion about diet outside of Glen's containers and Will's photos.  We have seen evidence that Whit just eats what she wants.  It also seems that when Whit last lost weight she may have starved herself some so she doesn't know anything about moderation.

As we have seen first hand Whit eating badly (pizza, cookies, coffees, etc.) I just won't get on board with the fact that calories in calories out won't improve her weight.  Sorry but this metabolism stuff cannot be an argument for Whit until she actually eats and stays on a 1600-2000 calorie lifestyle.  Sorry, but a lot of people cannot eat things like pizza, cookies and lattes regularly.  It is just life.  Even if Whit cannot get down below 250lbs due to her PCOS, it doesn't mean she should just give in and be 400lbs.

I've been wondering about Whitney's claims of "starving herself" when she tries to lose weight. Whenever I diet, I always feel hungry to some degree until my body gets used to not eating as much as I normally would have. When Whitney's on a lower-calorie diet, she may feel hungrier than usual, so she considers that "starving herself". I don't believe that she actually stops eating, or is eating next to nothing, if that's what she's implying.

Didn't Whitney talk to a nutritionist during the last season during her diabetes scare? I think she knows how to properly feed herself (even just eating in moderation would go a looooong way at her size), I just think she wants to eat the usual junk, teach a fake dance class once a week, and somehow still lose weight. Or she wants to be able to say, "Look, I only ate one bite of this giant cookie, and I danced for 30 minutes last Wednesday...and I still can't lose weight! Damn you, PCOS!!"

• Love 10
On 8/5/2016 at 9:55 AM, Ketzel said:

Whitney and Todd were coached by Gulya Asgarova,  an experienced competitive dancer. In the real world, where a coach has a new, beginner-level couple competing for the first time, ( especially where the competition was taking place so close to the studio) the coach would do his/her best to attend the competition to support the couple (and would likely have other students competing as well.)  In terms of common studio etiquette, for a coach to wave off a new beginner couple to their first competition with a blithe "text me your results!" is pretty close to insulting. 

On the other hand, in the real world, Gulya would have already told Todd and Whitney they were not qualified to enter the competition, because both of them held themselves out to be professional dancers in their communities, and both have earned money offering dance or dance-related instruction/services. (I'd love to know what Fitty Smallz paid Whitney for her star turn in his video!) This would disqualify them as amateur competitors,  and since this particular competition was for amateurs only (either in partnership with each other, or in partnership with their teacher) there was no way for them to compete.  I'd guess once she learned TLC was going to fake a competition, she lost interest in taking any credit for their performance. It wouldn't do her reputation any good and would likely raise a few eyebrows among the powers-that-be in competitive dance.

@Ketzel, belated thanks for sharing this information. Many of us suspected that the "competition" was just TLC fakery, but you provided the facts and background info that I, for one, lacked.

• Love 5

I have found when I eat less carbs and more protein I am less hungry.  I love bagels, could have one or more every day but if I want to maintain (and continue) my weight loss I have to pay attention to what my body is telling me.  When I cut out the bagels and eat more protein (expecially with breakfast) I am less hungry and am therefore less tempted to have a snack or eat more than I should.  If Whitney actually stuck to a properly balanced diet and gave herself a chance to listen to what her body is telling her perhaps she would discover she doesn't have to (supposedly) starve herself in order to lose weight.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, shoovenbooty said:

I've been wondering about Whitney's claims of "starving herself" when she tries to lose weight.

I thought she said she was bulimic?? Which would imply that she still binged and ate all that she wanted/WAY more than she needed and just threw it up. Which mean even if that was a big part of losing the 100#s, it in no way constituted a change in how/what she ate. 

• Love 2

Living with Twit has taken its toll on Buddy - in the previews for the Reunion show he's obv packed on weight . His head is the size of a huge pumpkin- twit must have recruited him as an eating buddy ( tee-hee?) . 

Can't wait to see this 2 parter 

• Love 2
On 8/6/2016 at 1:54 PM, teevee4me said:

Very purposeful that Whit has been posting workouts with Will. I wouldn't be surprised if she comes back next season lighter. I honestly would be thrilled. Right now, I seriously can't stand her but I would truly love to see her beat this. Otherwise, she is gonna be just like Dr. Now's patients.

I'll actually be shocked if she doesn't come back substantially heavier. Nothing about her suggests to me that she will make any changes, she seems to keep satiating her hunger needs, at each respective weight she reaches, all the way, blaming everything and everyone but herself.

It'd be GREAT to see her lose a nice amount, but I don't feel her behavior points toward that.

• Love 5

I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't noticed that she's gained a lot of weight since season 1. Everyone here has mentioned it, but I never noticed. I even put pictures side by side and she still looks the same size to me. Her weigh in with Will suggests that she's pretty much the same weight, but then she did gain 4 pounds in a month, so extrapolating that into 2 years would suggest she is much bigger. Maybe I'm just really bad at noticing weight differences in someone so big...I have the same issue with the people on My 600 lb Life. They can lose 150 pounds and they look exactly the same to me.

• Love 4

I don't see Oprah and Whitney as comparable. IIRC, Oprah has a thyroid disorder and even at her biggest, Oprah was nowhere near Whitney's size. I have PCOS so I get the weight gain and loss struggle, but Whitney makes excuses and is surrounded by enablers.

• Love 3

Watching the repeat of this one.  The dance "competition."  Stomping around.  The leggings.  Talking to Tal like the smartass she is.  I am not in the damn mood to watch the ass-kissing fest that the tell all is sure to be.  Grow the hell up, effing leave seventh grade.  You are thirtyfuckingtwo.  Yo, snowflake entourage:  Give her some damned reality.  You are doing her no favors.  She is killing herself. 

• Love 9

Did anyone see the 'extra fabulous footage' of this episode? She still has her friend (forgot her name) rubbing her nasty feet like she's a queen. They haven't been showing her friend all that much this season and the most we see of her is her acting as a servant. Anyone else perturbed by that?

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, unoiamacutie said:

Did anyone see the 'extra fabulous footage' of this episode? She still has her friend (forgot her name) rubbing her nasty feet like she's a queen. They haven't been showing her friend all that much this season and the most we see of her is her acting as a servant. Anyone else perturbed by that?

Yes!! I was floored!! 

• Love 1

Great post, Teena!  I am fat,too.  I snark a lot about episodes, hate on Whitney for her ugly attitude and poor treatment of family and friends, but I don't fat shame her.  She is a pretty woman, but is ugly inside.  I am so sorry for the loss of your baby.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Teena said:

...and my final point--the only person who can fat-shame you, is you.  Whitney (or anyone else) will never stop others from making fat jokes.  Not taking the jokes personally is really the key to this issue.  She really needs to recognize that "fat jokes" are not directed toward her.  Being defensive and implying that she has proven herself by losing (then gaining) 100lbs is counterproductive to the message that (I assume) she wants to deliver.

I'm fat.  I don't deny it.  I don't defend it.  I'm healthy right now, but I know that I won't remain healthy if I don't work on my weight.  To be honest, I've NEVER had anyone randomly call me out on my weight in public, as television would have you believe.  I think the "fat person being laughed at in public" trope is tedious.  In fact, on a trip to Southern Italy last year, I walked up a 1km incline to the top of Mount Vesuvius, in nearly 100F weather, coupled with humidity from the volcano.  I was sweating, out of breath, my body ached and I had a UTI, for which I was taking antibiotics....yet, on my way up, people gave me random phrases of encouragement "you can do it"...."you're almost there"...and those who thought I didn't speak the language gave me the universal "thumbs up".   

When you try hard, it's noticeable.  People, for the most part, want to encourage others.  Don't believe the hype.

I love this post!! I agree that the only person who can fat-shame you is you. Are there issues around fat people being discriminated against or made fun of because of their size (especially someone Whitney's size)?? Absolutely. Should we work to eliminate those situations (where someone is genuinely being discriminated against)?? Absolutely. As Teena wrote though, "fat jokes" aren't going to go away 100%. Can it become less acceptable to make such jokes? Sure. But all I can control is how I react to those jokes (or racist jokes or sexist jokes or religious jokes). If Whitney were SO happy with her body and her life, those jokes would not have bothered her that much. 

I think Whitney's "No BS" campaign is really not so much about ending body-shame and promoting self-respect and by extension, respect for others no matter what they look like, how tall or short or thin or fat or beautiful or unattractive they are. Because she really doesn't PROMOTE anything - she's AGAINST body-shaming. She frames it negatively and that plus her own behaviour and defensiveness and general crap attitude leads me to think she does want people to stop "body-shaming" HER but instead of just respecting her and acknowledging what she is capable of, she wants to be fat-praised. She doesn't want to be equal, she wants to be elevated. It's not about having a full life within the limitations of what she can and can't do physically by really celebrating what she CAN do. It's this insane, delusional insistence that she can do ANYTHING AT ALL. And that's just not true. Not for any of us. I can't run a marathon. I probably couldn't run a mile. Not a runner. If I went and signed up for a marathon today, my family would know that I'd had some kind of stroke or mental breakdown because I CAN'T RUN A MARATHON. If that were THE thing that I were just bound and determined to do, I could start running and work my way up to getting in better shape and get to the point where I could run a mile and get on a whole training program and DOING what it takes to reach that goal. And maybe even with all that I'd find out that I just couldn't -maybe my ankles or my knees or something just wouldn't allow a full 26 miles. Maybe 5ks and 10ks would be my limit. So would I start screaming about body-shaming or would I embrace that I may not be able (even after a lot of work and doing everything I could) run a marathon but I CAN do 5ks and 10ks and so let's enjoy THAT... 

She's a miserable human being - she is NOT happy in her body and probably wouldn't be even IF she lost 100 pounds. So she completely invalidates her own campaign in everything she does.

Edited by Maggienolia
  • Love 5

It has been mentioned that in Season 3 the crew seems to be showing Whitney in a much less flattering light. I've finally gotten to check out some of the Season 2 episodes and it seems like even how she looks is different from S2 to S3. In the season 2 episodes she's got her hair clean and styled attractively and also her make is done and she looks pretty - especially in all the THs she's got nice make-up and she just looks better groomed than she does in the S3 THs. So maybe TLC has indeed gone for the "let's cater to the hate-watchers" angle instead of continuing to buying into Whitney's delusion and lies.

• Love 3

I've got family members / friends that are overweight / obese and ridicule and fat shaming in public does happen. They've shared experiences with me and I have seen it first hand , eyes & ears . Not a crazy daily occurrence but some people do indeed experience it. 

• Love 6

Watching this episode again on the TLC marathon this afternoon. At the beginning when she is talking with Tal about Will firing her, after making excuses she finally breaks down and, in a rare moment of honesty, says that sometimes she thinks there is something wrong her. Tal tells her that she has everything inside of her needed to change and that nothing good will happen if she feels bad about herself.

I get why he said it, but I think it would have been better for Whitney if he had said that she was right. There is something wrong with her. She has a food addiction/binge eating disorder and she can't solve it by herself. She needs to get professional help. 

• Love 6
On 13/08/2016 at 10:31 AM, Lovecat said:

Apropos of nothing, it just occurred to me that "hate-watchers" rhymes with "Weight Watchers." 

And I'm a member of both groups, by amazing coinkydink!  I honestly don't know if she'd do anything more than spin her wheels on WW, giving the impression that she was working to lose weight while secretly sabotaging any efforts by snarfing down whole boxes of crackers that would be low in points in the actual serving size. (Voice of experience:  An entire box of crackers is probably not a single serving!)  

What confuzzles me is the fact that she thinks she's the next Scarlett O'Hara, irresistible to all men.  If your so-called boyfriend sounds like he's reading an unpleasant yet remunerative telemarketing script, it's time to ponder what kind of men are attracted to you, and make the necessary changes in your life.  That may mean stepping away from the cupcakes, but in the long term, for many, many reasons, it's worth it.   

• Love 4

Love it!  I'm a hate watcher too, now. 

I was a weight watcher,  but realized I was playing the system by eating less before weigh-in

Not working,  and I criticized their fake food full of chemicals,  as not healthy.  But their points and journal food are great tools that I still use on ny own. 

• Love 1

Hey Mod!
When I click on reply I get something someone else had written, and had to delete it.
At the bottom, is this message,

[[Template core/global/forms/editorAttachments is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Love 1
4 hours ago, auntjess said:

Hey Mod!
When I click on reply I get something someone else had written, and had to delete it.
At the bottom, is this message,

1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Me too. Some weird encrypted code. 

I have it as well and posted about it in the Bugs thread.

On 7/31/2016 at 1:09 PM, TotoGirl said:

I'm wondering if this 'taking a break' thing with Lennie has suddenly come about because Twit's convinced that Roy has a HUGE crush on her....

(This is going to be interesting....)

Well, we now know that Roy didn't have a girlfriend at the time Whitney liked/loved Roy.  He had a boyfriend.  He came out on his radio show a year or so after he was on the show with Whitney.  The flowers he gave Whitney were from Maney, and LauRen, not just Roy.  I listen to Kiss 95.1 Charlotte MRL Show daily and they've talked about it all on their show.  Roy did NOT have a crush or anything for Whitney, period.  He really IS a great guy.

2 minutes ago, texasbluebonnets said:

Well, we now know that Roy didn't have a girlfriend at the time Whitney liked/loved Roy.  He had a boyfriend.  He came out on his radio show a year or so after he was on the show with Whitney.  The flowers he gave Whitney were from Maney, and LauRen, not just Roy.  I listen to Kiss 95.1 Charlotte MRL Show daily and they've talked about it all on their show.  Roy did NOT have a crush or anything for Whitney, period.  He really IS a great guy.

AND, none of the radio personalities including Roy did NOT receive one penny from TLC to be on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I listen to Kiss 95.1 Charlotte MRL Show daily and they've talked about it all on their show.  Roy did NOT have a crush or anything for Whitney, period.  He really IS a great guy.

Roy does seem like a good guy. Have they talked about Twit or MBFFL since she was "working" there? Any mention of the Catfish episode with Lennie? I know they have to be subtle about anything they say.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Roy does seem like a good guy. Have they talked about Twit or MBFFL since she was "working" there? Any mention of the Catfish episode with Lennie? I know they have to be subtle about anything they say.

They put a you tube video out after she broke up with Lennie.  Maney calls Whitney a 'serial stalker' meaning she has to have a man in her life no matter what.  (way back when, of course) She broke up with Lennie because she was in love with Roy.  She told her mom that "she thought she had Roy in the bag."  The MRL show does talk of the show once in a blue moon.  Roy got a lot of hate mail during that time.  I felt so bad for him, as he did not deserve such harsh commentaries.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, texasbluebonnets said:

They put a you tube video out after she broke up with Lennie.  Maney calls Whitney a 'serial stalker' meaning she has to have a man in her life no matter what.  (way back when, of course) She broke up with Lennie because she was in love with Roy.  She told her mom that "she thought she had Roy in the bag."  The MRL show does talk of the show once in a blue moon.  Roy got a lot of hate mail during that time.  I felt so bad for him, as he did not deserve such harsh commentaries.  

Here is their youtube video when they talk about Whitney and Roy

• Love 2