Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Espionage

45 minutes ago, DanMSchro said:

What did Rachel give Yael to practically poop on command? Did she go all Medea and soak that dress in ex-lax? I know someone mentioned escolar, which can definitely cause diarrhea, but even if it were laxative coated escolar, the digestive system takes a little time. There's no way she went from chowing down to butt explosion so quickly.

38 minutes ago, CalamityBoPeep said:

Good point. Seems like she'd be more likely vomit quickly, for the amount of whatever it was that she'd had. To have that kind of butt explosion, that quickly, you pretty much have to down a triple dose of Miralax... but it still takes about 15 or 20 minutes. (Er... yeah, this is getting gross. But anyone who's had to do a pre-GI-test cleanse knows what it's like. :-P )

UnREAL is edited for time. LOL I was thinking the same thing. It's TV so they can make anything happen. 

I love Sushi and won't be giving it up anytime soon. 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

Initially I was happy to see Quinn and Rachel reconcile.

Then I remembered they were doing it to destroy the career of a man who wants to expose their cover up of the reason for Mary's death (negligent homicide?) and a fake police report that led to a shooting (and the cover up of that). 

The two of them feel a lot more like psychopaths this season.

• Love 6

I think they should get rid of Jeremy after this season and replace him with a love interest for Jay for season three!

I might actually tune in for that. My ideal season three would be one that had female suitor (not named Rachel) with males competing for her.  Having one of the males fall for Jay could be an interesting sideplot.  Of course, no one seems to have a happy ending in this show, but at least, it would be fun while it lasts!  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Rachel put something in the dipping sauce.

I don't know if this is true, or how fast it supposedly "works", but someone once told me if you put Visine in someone's drink, it causes almost immediate gastro "distress". 

59 minutes ago, FrancesL said:

I might actually tune in for that. My ideal season three would be one that had female suitor (not named Rachel) with males competing for her.  Having one of the males fall for Jay could be an interesting sideplot.  Of course, no one seems to have a happy ending in this show, but at least, it would be fun while it lasts!  

Which is the precise reason that Everlasting shouldn't want Darius to end up with either of the two final women. You've got football princess, Tiffany, who is never sure if people like her for herself or for her father and football. And Chantal who has a dead fiance and is trying to find a way to love again. Both of them read better as the bachelorette than as contestants competing for the love of the suitor.

Also the first season of the bachelorette was a drunken homoerotic sausage fest. The guys basically only wanted to pull juvenile pranks on each other and get drunk. I can see one of the men being manipulative enough to flirt with Jay to get more camera time (shades of Zankie on Big Brother) and another actually falling for Jay. Also a female suitor might get Chet to shut up because all of his sexist retrograde bullshit wouldn't make any sense with a female suitor.

• Love 3

I thought Chet coordinated the tackle?

My mistake. Chet convinced the contestants to tackle Darius.  But it was still Quinn who orchestrated the whole thing and convinced Chet to talk to the contestants. Quinn's plan was to get Darius tackled, so that he would have to be rushed to the hospital, thus creating drama for the show (and also ruining Darius' career). She also did it to tank the show so that Coleman would get in trouble.  Rachel thwarted her plans by getting a doctor to give him an epidural to stop the pain.  At this point, if I were Darius, I would have taken the epidural and then walked away from the show a few days later. It still baffles me that he stayed in a show where the producers had no problem getting him hurt. 

Edited by FrancesL
  • Love 1

backformore: I feel the same way about the supposed hilarity of spiking a character's drink with alcohol or food with marijuana or whatever. I view that as a form of assault, and deliberately poisoning someone's food, even with something that won't kill them, is no different.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

A lot of you would write about how attractive Jay is.  I finally got to see it two episodes ago and now at least there's something for me to focus on.

Jay is so hot! It's a shame they can't make him the next Suitor. 

1 hour ago, FrancesL said:

They could bring Anna back for it!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Also, if Darius wants to improve his image, why is he cutting the woman who was publicly humiliated on national television? Sure, it's kind of gross she pooped herself, but hey he is basically punishing her for being human. I'm sure that's going to help with his image. Drop the vulnerable girl in favor of a spoiled princess and the suddenly assertive nude girl.

I agree. I thought he was upset with Jay because he wanted to cut Yael but was worried about how it would look to cut her after she pooped herself and was so clearly distressed and humiliated because of it. Darius is here to restore his image and as Quinn constantly says, Everlasting is about Romance. And while nobody ever wants to think about it early in a relationship, ultimately love is being able to temporarily lose bowel control and still be adored by your partner. The vast majority of long-term partners poop in front of each other at some point, even if not by choice. Most women poop in childbirth (sorry Save Yourself), people suffer serious illnesses as they age, suffer injuries which result in them needing help in the bathroom (even if only temporarily). And while it would probably turn most people off if it happened before the love, Darius isn't looking for a partner, he's looking to make people like him and forgive him for the perception that he called a reporter a bitch. Preparing an understanding speech about not cutting Yael for suffering an illness would have made him look like a fantastically evolved man. While not picking her as the winner of the show the following week would avoid him being associated with any of the mirth and mockery which would be aimed at her.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I feel as sick as Yael when I think of all the things we were told would matter this season that came to nothing: Chet having a child at all (nothing) then kidnapping it (nothing); having a Black Lives Matter activist AND a Confederate flag-waver AND an African-American police officer in the cast during such a fraught time (nothing, nothing, nothing), Romeo getting shot by a police officer (nothing), having Quinn sign an over-all development deal with the network, meaning she should be developing several new projects to get off the ground (nothing), then having her date the head of her network, who could provide the fast track for those new shows (less than nothing; rather than finding a way to make the remains of the relationship work for her she tells him to get the hell out of her life). The penultimate episode takes a left turn into Bridesmaids gross-out territory. I'm choosing to interpret Yael's white dress as a metaphor for the narrative clean slate season 2 represented before SGS came and...sashimi'd all over it.

Loved your entire post. And I'm confused: in the behind-the-scenes clips I've seen from writers' rooms, writers draw all kinds of things on a white board: season-long story arcs, character arcs, plots of the week, etc--complete with arrows, Vin diagrams, and the like. Did this season's writers not do that? I'm only half-joking. SGS has said in interviews that she wanted the show to discuss hard-hitting social issues this season. Address? No, she introduces issues but fails to discuss or even follow up them. 

9 hours ago, earlbny said:

Here's something I find hard to believe. Rachel is known as a master manipulator, yet she does not know how to delete a video off of a computer? my Niece and Nephew who are 7 and 3 can delete a video. I don't buy that for one second. SGS must have gotten jealous at all the attention Mr. Robot gets so she made Coleman a hacker.

The thing is, Coleman recorded Rachel on a video camera, and now the footage is on his lap top. No doubt that the footage exists on the Cloud. So it's out there. I think it would be hard, if not impossible, to eliminate it permanently.  Recent phone and email hacks have taught us that. 

12 hours ago, candall said:

--Same with Quinn's man.  They could have spent 45 extra seconds on the standard "It doesn't matter, darling" speech and shown both of them knowing it DID matter and he was gone.  Those two actors are good enough to convey all that without pages of dialogue.  It sounded like he was hemming and hawing about maybe he could just buy her a new womb.

ITA. Some people have said that Quinn's reaction was unrealistic. But I've seen this happen. Women who've never wanted kids but when they find out they can't, it's still a shock and a profound disappointment. As Quinn said, she wanted a choice. Which, BTW, she did have. She chose her career, and I believe her when she said he never wanted kids. 

And she was completely right when she said that Booth wanted kids, and he was used to getting everything he wanted. So he wouldn't be happy in their relationship, no matter what he was professing at the time. But as Earlbny said, the two actors should have been given a chance to have that conversation. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, CalamityBoPeep said:

At this point, I'd just heave a big sigh of relief, if they did that. We liked Rachel and Quinn at the end, but we've decided here, after last night, that if Marti Noxon comes back for season 3, we'll watch. If not, then no. SGS has proven two things over this season: 1) she is a child; and 2) she doesn't know how to build a story.

100% yes. Lifetime had better be prepared to beg and grovel - I can't take another season of SGS in the drivers seat. 

6 hours ago, candall said:

Text me the deets on the candlelight vigil for Marti Noxon's return. 

My candles been lit pretty much all season, lol. 

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I don't think actors are completely blameless.  Everyone has different limits to what they will do.  I assume actors don't have MUCH power but they have some.  They can also make decisions.  Anyways, I just feel a little differently here.  I've quit jobs where I didn't agree with what I was doing ethically.  I'm not saying it needs to go that far, but..... a lot of actors grab ahold of more power in a show (the cast of Friends) or become Exec Producers (The Office, Sex and the City, The Good Wife....)

True. If Shiri & Constance were bigger name stars or the show had several successful seasons in - I would agree they would have probably earned a lot of creative control on their show. Right now though, I don't think they are at the level this point in their careers and the show still being so young that they would have enough power to influence or change much, especially the big race story line SGS thought she was going to get raves over (but ended up tanking the show.) that's why I can't blame them  Next season might be different though since this one bombed so bad and Constance earned them an Emmy nomination.

• Love 3

Addressing hard hitting social issues?  It's been more like driving past them waving.

If any of the producers and show runners ever read this, I'm not looking for a show that's mind-blowingly amazing only in the final episode of the season.  Because that means that I've had to put up with a season of dreck to get there.  I don't care what they come up with next week, it hasn't been worth the poorly thought out ideas of the previous nine.

My bar is low for this, but they can't even get over a low bar.

• Love 10

Didn't Rachel decide on the revenge after Madison told her about Coleman sneaking to Yael's room? I guess Rachel didn't think she could mess with Yael's head, so she chose her intestinal tract.

I watched it last night. I had some cleaning up in the living room and it was on.Of course, Yael's diarrhea was perfectly timed to go on camera because it was written that way. The poisoning thing is less dangerous than swapping meds, but there is potential for death or illness.

Rachel (and Quinn) may be the protagonists, but they sure aren't heroes. Maybe next year they can have a female suitor and do a Everlast-gay instead.

• Love 2

All season I never understood why Yael was called "Hot Rachel" - I didn't see a resemblance at all.... Until Yael made those I'm-going-to-shit-myself faces. That's the only time she looked like Shiri Appleby. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ketose said:

Rachel (and Quinn) may be the protagonists, but they sure aren't heroes. Maybe next year they can have a female suitor and do a Everlast-gay instead.

Reflecting on their their tattoos: Rachel and Quinn have both had dick this season, and they've yielded varying amounts of power, but have either of them made any money (beyond their usual salaries?)

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Addressing hard hitting social issues?  It's been more like driving past them waving.

If any of the producers and show runners ever read this, I'm not looking for a show that's mind-blowingly amazing only in the final episode of the season.  Because that means that I've had to put up with a season of dreck to get there.  I don't care what they come up with next week, it hasn't been worth the poorly thought out ideas of the previous nine.

My bar is low for this, but they can't even get over a low bar.

At this point, I'm only interested in finding out how Rachel and Quinn are going to stop Coleman's expose'. I don't much care about the outcome of "Everlasting," though I'd hate to see Darius unceremoniously dismiss another black woman. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

I sort of wonder if, other than just being a plot device for Rachel, Yael shitting herself is a reference to that notorious moment on another dating show, Flavor of Love.

That's where my mind went immediately.  Then I started wondering if "Everlasting" is UnReal's equivalent of "The Bachelor", what would their world's equivalent of "Flavor of Love" or "Rock of Love" look like? LOL!

I'm glad Quinn's (quite unbelievable) quest for a baby stopped with the call from the doctor and did not go on to involve prosthetics and stealing that red neck girl's baby.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

I'm glad Quinn's (quite unbelievable) quest for a baby stopped with the call from the doctor and did not go on to involve prosthetics and stealing that red neck girl's baby.

That could've been funny--stealing the girl's baby. Chet could've helped them out with that one. 

I think Quinn entertained the idea of having a baby only because she really cared about Booth. And that's what he wanted. I didn't think her feelings were that strong until this episode, when she 1) refused to answer Rachel when she asked if Quinn was serious about him (or something like that), and when 2) she was so violently upset and sad after she sent Booth away.  I can't remember how upset she was when she broke up with Chet. I think she cried, but I don't remember her smashing any monitors. 

• Love 4

WTF, really?  It’s now about grade school pranks instead of producing a show?  Quinn’s outbreak of laughter was childish and immature, and frankly out of character. Quinn might be ruthless, but she has always been pragmatic.   I can’t even root for Rachel and Quinn anymore, they are just a couple of psychos.  I don’t much care for Yael and Coleman, but if ever a show needed to be exposed, it is Everlasting.  I know it won’t happen since Rachel and Quinn are the show's Queenbees, but I wouldn’t care if it did. 

I won’t even start on all the dropped plots because that has been covered in detail.  What a mess! 

• Love 10

I thought that was pretty good that some people called all the way back around episode 4 or something saying that Coleman and Yael were actually undercover people trying to expose the whole show. That sentiment never left me so I was never able to fully embrace Coleman and glad I didn't, what a putz.

Everyone on this show is a putz.

Except Ruby, which is why she's not on this show anymore. Sad.

• Love 2

The problem with this show is inept tptb that thought they could tackle big topics like race relations. Racism isn't just cops shooting unarmed black people. They should have never gone there. They missed a golden opportunity to show the small normal everyday racism that effect minorities in this country. Darius should've been a regular bachelor with a normal job like the other bachelors, Dr, lawyer, fireman, etc.  When the show started they could've had real reactions from the contestants for a black bachelor. Big time quarterback doesn't get the same reaction as a regular man, no matter the race.  They could've had a girl  drop out immediately because of the black bachelor.  A girl going on date and not kissing Darius and literally turning away.  Maybe had some special liberal arts college snow flake not wanting to room with Chantel not the red neck girl with the stars and bars bikini. 

If they hadn't been so over the top with this nonsense they could've told much better stories. Quinn and Rachel can't be the focus every year. How much drama can two women have in their lives?  Are they going to kill or almost kill someone every year this shit show manages to stay on the air? 

• Love 16

I have a faint hope that at the final elimination/rose/key/choice (I honestly forget how it's being done on Everlasting) ceremony, Darius will refuse to choose either of the remaining women and tell the camera he wants Ruby, has regretted cutting her since it happened, and is ready to be the man she knows he can be.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, niklj said:

Everyone on this show is a putz.

Except Ruby, which is why she's not on this show anymore. Sad.

And Graham! It's the editing that makes him look like a moron!

Oy vey!  I don't know where to begin with this show.  I too was surprised how quickly hot Rachel went from eating to bathroom emergency.  If the food or dipping sauce was spiked with something wouldn't she taste that?  IDK, I've eating sushi before and it doesn't really have a strong flavor to it so I would think she would have picked up on a funny taste...*shrug*

Gah I wanted to punch Rachel for that stunt though.  I was kinda hoping Yael would have bitch slapped her with her funky undies for that stunt.  And why cause she kissed your boyfriend, who is a shit head himself?  Good Lord these people.  All of them are so unbelievably unlikeable. 

In a way I am happy to see Madison stepping up and taking the reins but I feel that she and Jay are both heading down the same path as everyone else on this show.  Everlasting is like a black hole and the longer you stay the more likely you are to get trapped in it.  Props to them both for not laughing at Yaels embarrassing situation and for Jay to become down right pissed about it.  Right now they are the only 2 I'm rooting for on this show.

• Love 3

Ugh, this season has been so terrible after UNreal being such a fantastic season one discovery. So many bad and stupid plot lines, underdeveloped characters and absolutely nonsensical choices. I'm not sure why the one that tapped me out was having a 45-year-old career woman who has expressed nothing but disdain for parenthood breakdown at the "shocking" news that she'd be unable to conceive. I understand the "wanting a choice" idea, but Quinn is supposed to be an intelligent woman, not a Real Housewife who thinks she possesses immortal fertility. That's a "choice" she made at least 5-7 years ago, CONSERVATIVELY, no matter what a doctor says. (Also, I despise the TV trope that there's a single doctor's exam that can definitively state you can't have children. Unless he discovered she'd misplaced her uterus, there's more to it than that) And might I add this is the SECOND YEAR in a row that they've done a Quinn-related pregnancy/not-pregnancy storyline. Easier to overlook amongst season one's greatness, harder to give a pass here.

Also, please stop pairing Rachel with every straight male that crosses her path. Not because I don't believe in a women's ability to enjoy and appreciate sex, more because it's lazy writing. Again, no smart career-focused woman, sane or insane, regardless of how sexually free she is, sleeps WITH EVERY SINGLE MAN SHE'S EVER WORKED WITH. It's awkward. It's uncomfortable. And it's incredibly boring to watch.

• Love 18

An observation I've had for a while on Quinn's character, and why she does what she does:

I think that, believe it or not, there's nobody who buys into True Love more than Quinn does - deep down, on a nearly unreachable level, she wants it very, very much for herself. But Something Happened along the way, and she's never had it. Anytime she thought it might, something always went wrong.

One minute she's falling for Chet's and (Ioan's) promises of giving her True Love for herself, but then finding out the hard way that it's never going to happen. First she has to find out that Chet is a cheater and a loser, and then that (Ioan) will never stay with her because she can't give him the children he wants.

A show like Everlasting was a way to literally go out and create True Love. It also explains her love/hate relationship with the show and with the contestants - because Quinn herself has a love/hate relationship with True Love itself.

Because she loves True Love, she creates a beautiful vision of it in a show like Everlasting where others might have a chance to find it, too. But because she also hates True Love, since it always leaves her behind, she will brutalize, dismiss, and humiliate the contestants (who also look for True Love) in some of the worst possible ways.

And as for Quinn's relationship with Rachel? Rachel is the child that Quinn never had, and will never have. Some of Quinn's anger comes from the way Rachel's own mother treats Rachel so badly, instead of loving her and appreciating her the way Quinn does. I'm looking for an epic takedown of Olive by Quinn before the season ends.

Quinn is a fantastic character, struggling with extreme conflicts and entertaining us every minute along the way. And I'll always maintain that nobody loves True Love more than Quinn does.

• Love 20
27 minutes ago, STOPSHOUTING said:

Ugh, this season has been so terrible after UNreal being such a fantastic season one discovery. So many bad and stupid plot lines, underdeveloped characters and absolutely nonsensical choices. I'm not sure why the one that tapped me out was having a 45-year-old career woman who has expressed nothing but disdain for parenthood breakdown at the "shocking" news that she'd be unable to conceive. I understand the "wanting a choice" idea, but Quinn is supposed to be an intelligent woman, not a Real Housewife who thinks she possesses immortal fertility. That's a "choice" she made at least 5-7 years ago, CONSERVATIVELY, no matter what a doctor says. (Also, I despise the TV trope that there's a single doctor's exam that can definitively state you can't have children. Unless he discovered she'd misplaced her uterus, there's more to it than that) And might I add this is the SECOND YEAR in a row that they've done a Quinn-related pregnancy/not-pregnancy storyline. Easier to overlook amongst season one's greatness, harder to give a pass here.

Also, please stop pairing Rachel with every straight male that crosses her path. Not because I don't believe in a women's ability to enjoy and appreciate sex, more because it's lazy writing. Again, no smart career-focused woman, sane or insane, regardless of how sexually free she is, sleeps WITH EVERY SINGLE MAN SHE'S EVER WORKED WITH. It's awkward. It's uncomfortable. And it's incredibly boring to watch.

I think this show uses sex as a crutch. They think its so shocking. They have these empowered women jump into bed at a drop of a hat with anyone that gives them googly eyes.  I don't understand why Coleman and Yael had to have sex. They couldn't just be partners in crime serving their own ends. Yael should've been smart enough to get info from Jeremy without sex.  Tiffany the daughter of a billionaire is using sex to get her way. Why does she need any of the men on this show. She is rich. Billionaire girl seeking the limelight would have been the bachelorette not one girl of 25 trying to get the attention of a game show contestant. No one actually thought through any of the nonsense for this season.

• Love 14
19 hours ago, AllyB said:

I agree. I thought he was upset with Jay because he wanted to cut Yael but was worried about how it would look to cut her after she pooped herself and was so clearly distressed and humiliated because of it. Darius is here to restore his image and as Quinn constantly says, Everlasting is about Romance. And while nobody ever wants to think about it early in a relationship, ultimately love is being able to temporarily lose bowel control and still be adored by your partner. The vast majority of long-term partners poop in front of each other at some point, even if not by choice. Most women poop in childbirth (sorry Save Yourself), people suffer serious illnesses as they age, suffer injuries which result in them needing help in the bathroom (even if only temporarily). And while it would probably turn most people off if it happened before the love, Darius isn't looking for a partner, he's looking to make people like him and forgive him for the perception that he called a reporter a bitch. Preparing an understanding speech about not cutting Yael for suffering an illness would have made him look like a fantastically evolved man. While not picking her as the winner of the show the following week would avoid him being associated with any of the mirth and mockery which would be aimed at her.

I've been trying not to think of that! Pregnancy is just one awkward event after another, I laughed the other day and wet myself in front of my friends ?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SillyOldClothCat said:

I have a faint hope that at the final elimination/rose/key/choice (I honestly forget how it's being done on Everlasting) ceremony, Darius will refuse to choose either of the remaining women and tell the camera he wants Ruby, has regretted cutting her since it happened, and is ready to be the man she knows he can be.

Cool.  Sign me up.

(There's jewelry involved, but I can't tell if The Suitor bestows it or reclaims it.  Heh.)

20 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

I sort of wonder if, other than just being a plot device for Rachel, Yael shitting herself is a reference to that notorious moment on another dating show, Flavor of Love.

Looks like a couple of us thought of Flavor of Love.  That does prove contestants can be convinced to keep filming beyond their limits of bowel  control.  However, that was a group scene and early in the season so it would be harder to break away.  Had Rachel known that Yael was trying to expose all of the horrible things from the show and chosen to discredit her by having her shit herself on TV, it still would have not been funny but it at least would have made some sense.  Instead, doing this because she kissed Coleman was petty and cruel.  Quinn may have been laughing.  I wasn't.  As far as Darius cutting Yael, even the producers of Flavor of Love had sense enough to keep the woman who shat on the stairs for a few episodes. 

This show really has gone off the rails this year.  Dropped story lines, inconsistent character behavior, one-dimensional characters and too many scenes that do not fit the narrative of a bachelor type show to keep it enjoyable.  I too am hoping they find their way next season. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, SillyOldClothCat said:

But didn't he say as much to her in the cafe? And didn't Ruby tell him to go Love Himself because he so coldly and deliberately humiliated her on national TV? I don't know if there's any turning back from that. Even if Darius declared his love for Ruby in the finale, I wonder if it would ring true. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, topanga said:

But didn't he say as much to her in the cafe? And didn't Ruby tell him to go Love Himself because he so coldly and deliberately humiliated her on national TV? I don't know if there's any turning back from that. Even if Darius declared his love for Ruby in the finale, I wonder if it would ring true. 

Aw, I'd love to see this happen. If Darius was sincere, Ruby would take him back. It would be a great twist.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, okerry said:

Aw, I'd love to see this happen. If Darius was sincere, Ruby would take him back. It would be a great twist.

Yes, it would be the one bright spot on an otherwise disappointing season. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

I think this show uses sex as a crutch. They think its so shocking. They have these empowered women jump into bed at a drop of a hat with anyone that gives them googly eyes.  I don't understand why Coleman and Yael had to have sex. They couldn't just be partners in crime serving their own ends. Yael should've been smart enough to get info from Jeremy without sex.  Tiffany the daughter of a billionaire is using sex to get her way. Why does she need any of the men on this show. She is rich. Billionaire girl seeking the limelight would have been the bachelorette not one girl of 25 trying to get the attention of a game show contestant. No one actually thought through any of the nonsense for this season.

I said something similar about Yael and Tiffany further up in the thread. There is no way the producers wouldn't know who Tiffany is related to and there is no way that they would let an actively working journalist sneak her way into the contestant pool. They do background checks. After that mess with Megan Wants a Millionaire, the Josh Duggar incidents, and one of the finalists on Top Chef: Just Desserts turned out to be a pedophile (or if you're LuAnn de Lesseps a pedafile), no producer in their right mind would let anyone that they didn't know nearly everything about on the show. In the Top Chef and Duggar cases not doing due diligence managed to get both of those shows cancelled. In the Megan Wants a Millionaire situation, that entire show never even aired. Filmed, edited, and thrown away.

You would only let Tiffany be one of the contestants if you knew for certain that you wanted her to be the bachelorette next season. And that this was your first attempt to spin off a show from Everlasting. If Kate or Rooney Mara had shown up on the Bachelor before they became famous, a producer would have stopped and wondered why a woman from two football dynasties is on the show (their mom's family owns the Steelers and dad's family owns the Giants). Or Nicola Peltz whose father is a billionaire. It doesn't make sense and only underscores the general ineptitude of this season.

The other issue this season is good characterization. Characters don't have consistent personalities and motivations; they only have personalities that fit the plot and the particular scene, which is why characters this season will wildly flip motivations depending on the scene. We're told that Darius is concerned about his image with women, but he lets Chet show him and his crew rubbing up on the nearly naked women one of which is supposed to be his future wife. He talks to Ruby and Rachel about having to be the perfect black man, but only considers the repercussions of cutting a black woman after he's cut two of them. Yael's purpose for being on the show is to do investigative journalism, but sleeps with Coleman for the lulz. Coleman wants to capture the truth, but is basically cool with setting up Romeo's shooting.

Additionally last season, it was clear that Quinn had narrative arcs for all of the women and why the show needed certain women to stay in the running to play out certain parts of their arcs. This season it's all so surface and superficial. It doesn't appear that they had any storylines for any of the women. It's cliches and stereotypes. Did they have any plans for racist girl other than her clashing with Ruby or flipping out when she saw that the suitor is black? Why were they all so certain that hot Rachel, Yael, was making it to the end? Nothing about the personality she's displayed would suggest that.

This show desperately needs a new show runner. SGS isn't up to the task. And as AMC and HBO have demonstrated, networks are more than willing to fire creator/show runners. This show still has some life in it, but SGS cannot be in charge she doesn't have the skills for it. I think about David Simon who didn't come from a scripted TV background, but he was a journalist. He also had the luxury of solid mentorship in Barry Levinson and Tom Fontana. Contrast that with Nic Pizzolatto and True Detective. The first season Cary Fukanaga was there and it was fantastic. Second season it was Pizzolatto and it was terrible.

7 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

Did the cast and crew have to sign non-disclosure agreements? In other words, wouldn't Coleman and Yael be breaking the law by revealing behind-the-scene secrets?

A non-disclosure agreement is a civil contract that allows the network or production company to sue Coleman and Yael for monetary damages. It's possibly unenforceable against Yael because she's a journalist. Everlasting and the network could argue that Coleman and Yael committed corporate espionage, but I'd like to see the prosecutor who would file those charges especially because Yael is a journalist who has uncovered evidence that the show (Shia) messed with Anne's medication, brought her to the brink by inviting her abusive ex to the set, and let her die. Plus they have evidence that Quinn has been bribing law enforcement and obstructing investigations.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

A non-disclosure agreement is a civil contract that allows the network or production company to sue Coleman and Yael for monetary damages. It's possibly unenforceable against Yael because she's a journalist. Everlasting and the network could argue that Coleman and Yael committed corporate espionage, but I'd like to see the prosecutor who would file those charges especially because Yael is a journalist who has uncovered evidence that the show (Shia) messed with Anne's medication, brought her to the brink by inviting her abusive ex to the set, and let her die. Plus they have evidence that Quinn has been bribing law enforcement and obstructing investigations.

Well, damn. I wonder what Quinn and Rachel can possibly do to stop them?

5 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

Sleeping with a source is de facto bribery in my opinion. Plus, Coleman must have been desperate because Yael will definitely have aftershocks to that bowel attack.It's hard to tell if Tiffany is sexing up Chet because she's trying to manipulate him or she's just that freaky. Given the show and Chet's place in the pecking order, I'm guessing the former.

1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I said something similar about Yael and Tiffany further up in the thread. There is no way the producers wouldn't know who Tiffany is related to and there is no way that they would let an actively working journalist sneak her way into the contestant pool. They do background checks. After that mess with Megan Wants a Millionaire, the Josh Duggar incidents, and one of the finalists on Top Chef: Just Desserts turned out to be a pedophile (or if you're LuAnn de Lesseps a pedafile), no producer in their right mind would let anyone that they didn't know nearly everything about on the show. In the Top Chef and Duggar cases not doing due diligence managed to get both of those shows cancelled. In the Megan Wants a Millionaire situation, that entire show never even aired. Filmed, edited, and thrown away.

You would only let Tiffany be one of the contestants if you knew for certain that you wanted her to be the bachelorette next season. And that this was your first attempt to spin off a show from Everlasting. If Kate or Rooney Mara had shown up on the Bachelor before they became famous, a producer would have stopped and wondered why a woman from two football dynasties is on the show (their mom's family owns the Steelers and dad's family owns the Giants). Or Nicola Peltz whose father is a billionaire. It doesn't make sense and only underscores the general ineptitude of this season.

The other issue this season is good characterization. Characters don't have consistent personalities and motivations; they only have personalities that fit the plot and the particular scene, which is why characters this season will wildly flip motivations depending on the scene. We're told that Darius is concerned about his image with women, but he lets Chet show him and his crew rubbing up on the nearly naked women one of which is supposed to be his future wife. He talks to Ruby and Rachel about having to be the perfect black man, but only considers the repercussions of cutting a black woman after he's cut two of them. Yael's purpose for being on the show is to do investigative journalism, but sleeps with Coleman for the lulz. Coleman wants to capture the truth, but is basically cool with setting up Romeo's shooting.

Additionally last season, it was clear that Quinn had narrative arcs for all of the women and why the show needed certain women to stay in the running to play out certain parts of their arcs. This season it's all so surface and superficial. It doesn't appear that they had any storylines for any of the women. It's cliches and stereotypes. Did they have any plans for racist girl other than her clashing with Ruby or flipping out when she saw that the suitor is black? Why were they all so certain that hot Rachel, Yael, was making it to the end? Nothing about the personality she's displayed would suggest that.

This show desperately needs a new show runner. SGS isn't up to the task. And as AMC and HBO have demonstrated, networks are more than willing to fire creator/show runners. This show still has some life in it, but SGS cannot be in charge she doesn't have the skills for it. I think about David Simon who didn't come from a scripted TV background, but he was a journalist. He also had the luxury of solid mentorship in Barry Levinson and Tom Fontana. Contrast that with Nic Pizzolatto and True Detective. The first season Cary Fukanaga was there and it was fantastic. Second season it was Pizzolatto and it was terrible.

Jeremy could get in trouble too and get sued by the network for breaking the NDA because he spilled the beans to Yael about the BTS crimes of "Everlasting"!

Edited by Chris Burgess

Journalists don't get some sort of exemption from NDAs they've signed. It's not uncommon in the tech world, for example, to be asked to sign an NDA in order to get an early look at some new product or whatever. My policy is not to sign them because I don't think that's the relationship I want to have with people I'm supposed to be writing about. I've never heard of anyone being sued for something like that, but you certainly wouldn't be trusted again. In the case of a TV show I'd expect them to enforce the contract, which probably specifies penalties.

I don't understand what's supposed to be so humiliating about Darius's comments to Ruby. Having to live up to someone else's expectations of you is not a good basis for a relationship, so I thought he made sense.

On August 2, 2016 at 0:06 PM, candall said:

Text me the deets on the candlelight vigil for Marti Noxon's return. 

Oh gd, me too. I never ever thought I'd say this, but MN made this show so much better. I think the show probably benefitted from Marti's storytelling know-how and SGS's realism and quirky personality. If it's just MN next year, the show could also go downhill. I think they probably work great together if they can keep from killing each other. Maybe sort of like Quinn and Rachel?

• Love 9
12 hours ago, SillyOldClothCat said:

8 hours ago, topanga said:

Yes, this.  There is no way on earth Ruby is going back to the snake pit.  Even if she lurved Darius, he's just a man and not her True Love.  She's probably already forgotten him as she gets her scholastic life back on track and makes up with her daddy.

11 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Props ... for Jay to become down right pissed about it.  Ri

Jay got pissed about pooping.

9 hours ago, okerry said:

I think that, believe it or not, there's nobody who buys into True Love more than Quinn does - deep down, on a nearly unreachable level, she wants it very, very much for herself. But Something Happened along the way, and she's never had it. Anytime she thought it might, something always went wrong.

I've seen this observation before and agree 100%

• Love 2

The Australian Bachelor has just started the new season over here. Against my best intentions I've been tricked into watching it (?) and I've found myself blowing raspberries at the really cheesy stuff just like Quinn does lol. 

• Love 2

My thoughts on this season and this episode are pretty much in line with the rest of you. I don't really watch this show because it's "great television." More for fun drama -- so my ability to just accept what I see is pretty high.  This time around, though, it's as if they're leaving out 1/3 of every script.

The glaring issue in this episode (for me) was why can't Quinn have a baby? Is this some sort of alternate reality where IVF, donor eggs, surrogacy don't exist? I guess we're supposed to believe she's just, "too old." Both she and her boyfriend have plenty of money to explore alternatives to the old fashioned way of getting pregnant. If they're hung up on genetics, they could at least try IVF.

I could handle the sexism last season but this whole "she chose a career over a family and now she's having a nervous breakdown," thing came completely out of left field.

• Love 5

If Kate or Rooney Mara had shown up on the Bachelor before they became famous, a producer would have stopped and wondered why a woman from two football dynasties is on the show (their mom's family owns the Steelers and dad's family owns the Giants). 

I haven't watched this, so I am confused. What do Kate and/or Rooney Mara have to do with this? 

Though I will say this, if they had appeared on a reality show before they were famous, it wouldn't be that odd. Certainly not to the point where a producer would question it. There have been other people who have had ties to famous families who have appeared on reality tv. Andrew Firestone on The Bachelor comes to mind, as does Shayne Lamas. And there have been others. 

The strange and unbelievable part is any reality contestant, particularly one on a show the type of The Bachelor, going on to the type of fame either Mara has gone on to. I don't think anyone has managed to pull that off. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1