Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Espionage

16 hours ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

My thoughts on this season and this episode are pretty much in line with the rest of you. I don't really watch this show because it's "great television." More for fun drama -- so my ability to just accept what I see is pretty high.  This time around, though, it's as if they're leaving out 1/3 of every script.

The glaring issue in this episode (for me) was why can't Quinn have a baby? Is this some sort of alternate reality where IVF, donor eggs, surrogacy don't exist? I guess we're supposed to believe she's just, "too old." Both she and her boyfriend have plenty of money to explore alternatives to the old fashioned way of getting pregnant. If they're hung up on genetics, they could at least try IVF.

I could handle the sexism last season but this whole "she chose a career over a family and now she's having a nervous breakdown," thing came completely out of left field.

It's annoying that we weren't told why Quinn couldn't attempt to carry a pregnancy but there could be quite a few reasons. At the very least though, there is no way she could use her eggs, she's at least 45 and the chances are practically nil of them being viable. She could have tried donor eggs if her uterus, etc is healthy but since all she said was she can't have kids she could have just meant she couldn't have a child with her genes. The same would go if they used a surrogate, still need donor eggs. It's frustrating because artificial reproduction has been marketed so well that people think it's a magic bullet and it's just not, the odds of things actually working out are pretty low so a lot of people end up being very disappointed. My odds were 5% and that was purely age, my reproductive system is perfectly healthy. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

The glaring issue in this episode (for me) was why can't Quinn have a baby? Is this some sort of alternate reality where IVF, donor eggs, surrogacy don't exist? I guess we're supposed to believe she's just, "too old." Both she and her boyfriend have plenty of money to explore alternatives to the old fashioned way of getting pregnant. If they're hung up on genetics, they could at least try IVF.

I could handle the sexism last season but this whole "she chose a career over a family and now she's having a nervous breakdown," thing came completely out of left field.

IMHO, it's not that Quinn chose career over family/babies. It's that Quinn chose career over True Love.

It doesn't really matter *why* can't have her own child. What matters is that family/babies are part of True Love, at least to (Ioan,) and she just got hit with the knowledge that since she can't have a child she's about to lose True Love again.

Eventually she'll realize that Everlasting is her baby and Rachel has become her daughter - and maybe True Love will show up then. I'd love to see that!

Edited by okerry
  • Love 3

I've now watched the much talked about scene where a contestant shits herself. It was only the scene in question, with no other scenes as context. So I will allow that there may be more to it.

I admit, I usually find these types of scenes funny. But not only did I not find it funny, but I was actually rather upset. I think the problem was that, unlike other pants pooping scenes, the girl on this show was not just embarrassed, but also emotionally devastated.

Scenes like this are usually funny because a) they are played for laughs (the physical contortions Jeff Daniels goes through in Dumb and Dumber being the best example) and b) the person in question almost always moves on quickly after their "accident". We don't get the sense that there is any lingering effects, physically or emotionally.

Unfortunately, in this scene, the girl is completely devastated. Hard to laugh at her pain. Put it this way, I doubt Melissa McCarthy shitting herself in Bridesmaids would have been as funny if she had broken down crying like this woman. 

Worst of all was Constance Zimmer's overdone cackling. I can't believe this woman is nominated for an Emmy. I mean, I have never thought she was anything but a serviceable actress to begin with, but I figured she had done something good on this show. But if this scene is any indication, I think the Emmy people really need to adjust their criteria. 

But like I said, I haven't watched the whole show, so maybe there is something that suggests this woman deserved to lose control of her bowels, and maybe Constance Zimmer has somehow morphed into Meryl Streep.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, reggiejax said:

I haven't watched this, so I am confused. What do Kate and/or Rooney Mara have to do with this? 

Though I will say this, if they had appeared on a reality show before they were famous, it wouldn't be that odd. Certainly not to the point where a producer would question it. There have been other people who have had ties to famous families who have appeared on reality tv. Andrew Firestone on The Bachelor comes to mind, as does Shayne Lamas. And there have been others. 

The strange and unbelievable part is any reality contestant, particularly one on a show the type of The Bachelor, going on to the type of fame either Mara has gone on to. I don't think anyone has managed to pull that off. 

Andrew Firestone was the bachelor. Like everyone is saying someone with any gravitas wouldn't be a regular contestant on the Bachelor.  Shayne is a part of a low end Hollywood acting family. That entire family is basically subsisting off reality tv shows. 

• Love 1
On 8/1/2016 at 9:13 PM, HunterHunted said:

Even though Yael is manipulative and awful that was terrible. The show made it seem like Rachel tampered with the food to get Yael sick, which is funny because there is a much simpler alternative to get the same outcome. A fair number of sushi restaurants have white tuna or white maguro aka escolar on the menu. Portions between 4 - 6 ounces or more will cause explosive diarrhea.

I had assumed from the beginning that this was the case.  I can't see Rachel actually poisoning someone, particularly after Mary.   Rachel has a very complicated relationship with medication and drugging, so I really can't see her tampering.  I can easily see her setting up a situation where the super pretentious tramp who is apparently obsessed with sleeping with as many of her ex's as possible can 'accidentally' screw herself over by eating too much of something that has unpleasant effects.  I think Rachel would see it as 'if she's too stupid to know what she's eating, or what it can do, that's not my fault."  Likewise, I have no problem believing that the pretentious tramp would immediately assume that someone had poisoned her and that she was a victim.

Regarding the Quinn/ Rachel dynamic.  Finding out that Rachel was raped as a child and then constantly re-traumatized by her mother makes sense.  It's trite, but it makes sense.  And individuals who have been abused but haven't dealt with their resulting issues, or even those who have, tend to have a hard time establishing assertiveness.  It is too new and too uncomfortable so they frequently overshoot and land on aggressive. That's where I see Rachel and Quinn.  They are so intent on rebelling against whatever emotional baggage they're toting that they landed in defiantly aggressive.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sparger Springs said:

Andrew Firestone was the bachelor. Like everyone is saying someone with any gravitas wouldn't be a regular contestant on the Bachelor.  Shayne is a part of a low end Hollywood acting family. That entire family is basically subsisting off reality tv shows. 

Thanks, that's what I was getting at.

Additionally Andrew Firestone has some Adam like parallels. Clearly not the scandal aspect of Adam's back story. Andrew Firestone like Adam was using his appearance as the bachelor/suitor to promote a separate business.  Andrew Firestone was there to promote Firestone Vineyards and Adam was there to promote the winery/bed and breakfast that he bought. I remember when Firestone was the bachelor. I feel like he had to explain a couple of times that his family sold the Firestone Tire Co to Bridgestone and that wine was his passion. I think when the final two women met his family that the show did it at the Firestone Winery.

Yes, the Lamas family is a bunch of reality TV whores. My brother was at some event where they paid to have a bunch of washed up celebs attend. Lorenzo Lamas was sitting at my brother's table. My brother who had been part of the logistics for the event for his company said that they got Lorenzo to attend for some shockingly low amount like 3K which included his hotel and flight.

Jesse Palmer was also a bachelor, but only as his not particularly notable football career was winding down. There are so many more guys who were in the NFL around the same time who would have a much bigger draw than Jesse Palmer. And Charlie O'Connell is barely an actor. His most notable work is on TV shows where he plays the brother of his more famous brother's characters. Jerry works steadily, but he hasn't had anything hit and have some staying power. Charlie O'Connell wishes he had the career that other less famous siblings have like Frank Stallone, Steve Paymer, or Don Swayze.

The point of all my rambling is that barely famous or notable individuals aren't duking it out with a bunch of nobodies for the love of the bachelor or bachelorette. These people are the bachelor or bachelorette.

• Love 1

I wasn't really suggesting Shayne Lamas or Andrew Firestone were scions of distinguished families. Just that they had some name recognition. I was mostly curious, still am actually, what the Mara sisters have to do with any of this. They have never done reality TV. Did UnReal suggest that they had?

12 minutes ago, reggiejax said:

I was mostly curious, still am actually, what the Mara sisters have to do with any of this. They have never done reality TV. Did UnReal suggest that they had?

I think the poster was just using them as an example, since they are part of a football team owning family, like Tiffany is on UnREAL.

Let's get back on topic now please.

• Love 6
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:33 AM, BusyOctober said:

So, yes this show stretches the limits of credibility...but at first I thought they were trying to make us think Quinn and whatshisname had an IVF procedure done. It must have been testing only b/c it takes at least a few months to get to an actual IVF stage.  And at her age, I'm sure Quinn would need a few rounds of hormones to boost egg production before any could be harvested for the actual procedure where they inject sperm into the eggs to create the embryos.  I went through 5 IVF's over 2 years and it is not a situation where you decide on Monday "Hey! I want a baby!", Wednesday you're legs up in the stirrups & you're preggers on Friday.  Plus if Quinn was incubating an implanted embryo, she wouldn't be tottering around on 5 inch heels and swigging back tequila on the same day.  When she got the call that she can't have a baby, I felt real sympathy.

Coleman needs the next round of explosive diarrhea.  I knew he'd turn out to be a dick from the jump.  I hope he goes down in flames.

Just a vaginal ultrasound; she had mentioned to Booth earlier that she thought she could not get pregnant. The invasive tests plus her being besotted with Booth caused Quinn to think that romance, power, and picket fences might be possible. The test results burst that bubble, hence the freak out.  But it caused Rachel to come back, so all is well.

Quinn and Booth have a weird relationship. I'm dating you for seven weeks. I think I love you and might want to have kids in the future. So let's make sure we get all our fertility tests out of the way. WHAT!?!

I like that Rachel immediately went to confront Coleman because I hate "there is conflict because people don't talk to each other" plotlines. But I wish we had shut it down sooner. I wanted Coleman to be playing Yael because again, she is terrible at being an undercover reporter/seducing leads. She's like Gloria Steinem + Mata Hari but terrible versions of both.

Darius is like the worst actor. I'm not talking about the actual actor, I mean the character. I get that not every "suitor" is going to be Adam but come on now. I feel like this would be like that season of the Bachelorette where the guys were not really into her and people kept leaving of their own accord. We didn't see enough of him charming them and we didn't get enough of why they would really want to be here to understand why they would continue to put up with this. Except for maybe ace reporter Yael.

And now Chet is hardcore crushing on Tiffany? What? Who is writing this?

I need someone to take smug Madison down a peg, please.

The stunt Rachel played on Yael was so high school... or Disney Channel Original Movie but I don't care because I hate that character. I don't see her as a real person so to me it's a wink from the writers and I thank them. Also, I loved seeing Producer Rachel again. Where has she been all season?

I need more Beardy McOneLine. What's up with him? What's his story? I mean, I don't want him involved in the drama but it would be nice to have a character on the inside who's just doing his job.

The control room was hilarious during Chantelle and Darius' date. I love the Graham cracks because I just imagine they're about Chris Harrison. And the psychiatrist's "Do we ever clean that thing" was also quite a gem.

Quinn scores a point for bringing up "Shia is the worst." For a while from the promos, I thought UnReal had forgotten it was all her fault for switching out Mary's medication.

What is with the gold sequin curtains? Was Everlasting this tacky last season?

YES! I was hoping that Coleman had somehow bugged Rachel because her cooperating didn't totally make sense with the timeline. I still don't totally get him but at least he finally came to play. To be honest, the contestant producing was still kind of weak this episode but the staff producing each other was amazing. Producer Rachel was great in that scene with Coleman on the balcony.

OK, yes, Yael will be a massive joke from now on but she needs to get in line. The show (UnReal) is crazy overreacting about how bad giving her diarrhea is in the grand scheme of things that happened on Everlasting. Mary died because they switching out her medication. That other girl got raped by Adam's friend. The MMA fighter was subjected to solitary confinement and then made to look like a liar when she admitted her childhood abuse. Come on now. This is the worst thing they've done? Really? Really?

That final scene with Quinn was good. Constance did a good job. And yet... I feel like it was mostly there to bait us in previous promos and then get us to this girl power reconciliation. It feels kind of empty is what I'm saying. It was tied to this random thing with Booth and also the baby thing that came out of nowhere and am I supposed to buy Coleman and Yael now? It's a lot of scrambling before the finale.

I am going to have to take everyone's word that last season was great. I have not been able to get into the show.  I found the last episode to be particularly strange.  My problem is I never know if I am supposed to be rooting for these people or cheering them on when they do childish things?  The reaction to someone pooping their pants as if it was a major victory was weird. And to even do that in the first place? But then again, I don't watch these type of shows, maybe that is why I don't feel like I know what is going on. 

I was literally complaining about  how ridiculous it was and then a friend told me that a guy on one of the actual shows pooped his pants!  Oh my, so this is what happens on dating shows?  It just all seems so juvenile.  How old are Quinn and Rachel supposed to be?  I'm mad so I am going to destroy thousands of dollars of equipment, not to mention how and why she broke up with the man was so immature...instead of talking it out and figuring out if there is a solution, just be as ugly to him as possible. 

I am not a prude, but they also have too much sleeping around.  The showrunner guy knows the blonde did something with the Suitor's friend or brother, saw her with the suitor and then he also wants to have sex with her? Rachel's boyfriend is sleeping with her and some other girl, that girl is sleeping with him and Jeremy and lord knows what else I missed.   It is so expected and random that the reasons behind it are not interesting, it is almost like they feel they have to have xxx amount of sex in each show. 

I am also in the minority that I do not like the male junior producer?  I am not sure what his title is, but he is so annoying.  His pep talks and guilt trips are boring.  He is also just as self serving as the rest of them.  I hope they do not give him a love interest, because that would mean they are giving him more screen time and he already  has more than enough. 

I am also not sure at this point if Rachel actually has mental problem or not.  I am not at all happy with the way the show has addressed issues...such as mental illness, racial profiling and even the ashes being used for humor. 

I have also been underwhelmed with the actor that is portraying the suitor. 

• Love 2

Why is everyone plotting to bring down Everlasting like its some evil wizard in a fantasy novel?

This gave me the giggles.

Well, I was waiting for Rachel to offer her eggs/womb to be a surrogate for Quinn-- so I'm glad that didn't happen. 

Lord. I'm so happy SGS claims that she doesn't read the online chatter. Can you imagine?

For me, what made it difficult to watch was the control room full of "producers" watching it on a tv screen and laughing. 

I think I was OK with that part because Constance sold it so well. Forget it's place in the narrative... I bought Quinn finding it hilarious.

If they wanted the audience to feel Rachel was justified,  they needed to make Yael a more obvious, scheming villain.  She came across as a little snotty when she asked Rachel to fetch her dress, but I can't think of other times when she pulled that mean girl attitude.

My read on it is that Yael has always been portrayed as little arrogant because of her looks and supposed intelligence. We've gotten tidbits of her thinking she's intellectually superior to the other contestants (it's been sprinkled in as little side comments) and we've gotten a lot of her trying to trade on her sexuality to manipulate people (not that it's worked incredibly well). So my sense of it was... how do you take down a character who prides herself on her smarts and her beauty? Well, you resort to baseness and crudeness. Scatological humor. It was a very obvious reminder to her that she is just a human animal. It's in everything from The Lady's Dressing Room to someone telling you to stop acting like your shit doesn't stink. Now, I'm not giving the writers more credit than they deserve. I still think it was a stupid prank. But I kind of get where it would make sense. They tend to take down the contestants in a way that makes sense for those characters. Except for Jameson. That was just lazy. They didn't decide to reveal some previously unmentioned backstory and they wanted to keep her around so it couldn't be something too dramatic. This makes sense to me. 

On that note, I still don't get why this isn't more like the regular Bachelor. I'm unsure about how this all works. So... they're filming from week to week (which I still find crazy because how could you edit the episodes and develop a narrative that way?). And the girls who are eliminated go home each week unlike on a lot of reality shows where they have to stay in some other location. Except, oh, no, they don't because Yael still has to stay? Is it just because she's in the final three? I don't know why they did it this way. It's so much more complicated.

He's supposed to be the kind of guy who's observant and thinks on his feet. And he couldn't come up with "You know what? There are alternatives... surrogacy, infertility treatments, adoption." Really? He just is like "oh, well then."

It was really rushed but if I'm going to choose to read into it, I would say that we were supposed to understand that it would be impossible. The doctor flat out told her nothing would work. It's 100% hopeless for whatever reason. And Quinn didn't want to go get a second opinion and go through all the emotional turmoil and the actual complicated process of some kind of infertility treatments only to disappoint Booth. And Booth (in the little screentime this has gotten) has made it clear that he wants BIOLOGICAL children and in his chance to amend that statement during Quinn's breakdown he stayed silent. He was still convinced that they were gods and they could make it happen and defy science/nature/biology/etc. And Quinn didn't want to go through all that. Of course, I'm doing all the heavy-lifting here because really I think they just brought Booth in for reasons and then needed to kick him out for some nonsense reason once he'd served his purpose to the plot.

If I was going to do a takedown on a show, I wouldn't have a recording just sitting on a phone, or the video on a laptop, for damn sure. The fact that Rachel's phone was hacked means that recording was already in more places than just Coleman's phone, for Pete's sake. It's a ridiculous plot point that Rachel doesn't know how to delete a video, but it's also ridiculous to think that video (and Coleman's audio) doesn't exist elsewhere too. Stupid. But of course, that will be utterly ignored going forward.

Oh, from the promo, I'm counting on it. All the evidence might as well be on a floppy disc for how I think they're going to handle it in the finale.

God, yes. Ditto to every question you've asked. And one more from me: Why in the hell was Coleman wanting to boff a woman who had just had a serious, serious issue with food poisoning? It doesn't end that freaking fast! She'd still be iffy on the state of her intestines and really would not be in any shape to get romantic. It was the same night! She might not be exploding any more, but she'd sure be feeling the effects. Just no.

Lol, I didn't even think of that. But really, nothing gets in the way of gratuitous sexy times on this show.

I might actually tune in for that. My ideal season three would be one that had female suitor (not named Rachel) with males competing for her.  Having one of the males fall for Jay could be an interesting sideplot.  Of course, no one seems to have a happy ending in this show, but at least, it would be fun while it lasts!  

YES. I am so here for that.

Which is the precise reason that Everlasting shouldn't want Darius to end up with either of the two final women. You've got football princess, Tiffany, who is never sure if people like her for herself or for her father and football. And Chantal who has a dead fiance and is trying to find a way to love again. Both of them read better as the bachelorette than as contestants competing for the love of the suitor.

I disagree because Tiffany bores me. There were a few moments where she had chemistry with Darius but they've made a complete mess of her character... especially now with the whole Chet thing. Meanwhile, I think Chantal and the actress who plays her have untapped potential. (Seriously, what happened to my Frankenbite scene???) I would like a clean slate for season 3, but between the two of them, I see her as a much more compelling bachelorette.

True. If Shiri & Constance were bigger name stars or the show had several successful seasons in - I would agree they would have probably earned a lot of creative control on their show. Right now though, I don't think they are at the level this point in their careers and the show still being so young that they would have enough power to influence or change much, especially the big race story line SGS thought she was going to get raves over (but ended up tanking the show.) that's why I can't blame them  Next season might be different though since this one bombed so bad and Constance earned them an Emmy nomination.

I don't want to go too into this but I can see Shiri thinking from a feminist angle (not that I find all the sexy times that she talked about in one of the commercial break spots all that compelling but that's beside the point) and ignoring the rest of it. I don't think a lot of shows would allow one of their actresses to direct an episode in their second season. If you stare right at the good, you can have blinders on to the bad. Also THIS...

I think this show uses sex as a crutch. They think its so shocking.

It's not that empowering either. I mean, it definitely could be. But not the way they're doing it. At least most of the time.

I understand the "wanting a choice" idea, but Quinn is supposed to be an intelligent woman, not a Real Housewife who thinks she possesses immortal fertility.

Bwahahaha. That was gold.

We're told that Darius is concerned about his image with women, but he lets Chet show him and his crew rubbing up on the nearly naked women one of which is supposed to be his future wife.

YES. I feel like Darius can only remember to be concerned about his injury or concerned about his image. It's impossible for him to do both at the same time.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I don't want to go too into this but I can see Shiri thinking from a feminist angle (not that I find all the sexy times that she talked about in one of the commercial break spots all that compelling but that's beside the point) and ignoring the rest of it. I don't think a lot of shows would allow one of their actresses to direct an episode in their second season. If you stare right at the good, you can have blinders on to the bad.

Shiri did direct the sixth episode of this season, and she had said in interviews that she will direct more episodes next season, so Lifetime and A+E Studios are allowing to direct episodes this season and next next season too!

Edited by Chris Burgess

An observation I've had for a while on Quinn's character, and why she does what she does:

I think that, believe it or not, there's nobody who buys into True Love more than Quinn does - deep down, on a nearly unreachable level, she wants it very, very much for herself. But Something Happened along the way, and she's never had it. Anytime she thought it might, something always went wrong.

One minute she's falling for Chet's and (Ioan's) promises of giving her True Love for herself, but then finding out the hard way that it's never going to happen. First she has to find out that Chet is a cheater and a loser, and then that (Ioan) will never stay with her because she can't give him the children he wants.

A show like Everlasting was a way to literally go out and create True Love. It also explains her love/hate relationship with the show and with the contestants - because Quinn herself has a love/hate relationship with True Love itself.

Because she loves True Love, she creates a beautiful vision of it in a show like Everlasting where others might have a chance to find it, too. But because she also hates True Love, since it always leaves her behind, she will brutalize, dismiss, and humiliate the contestants (who also look for True Love) in some of the worst possible ways.

And as for Quinn's relationship with Rachel? Rachel is the child that Quinn never had, and will never have. Some of Quinn's anger comes from the way Rachel's own mother treats Rachel so badly, instead of loving her and appreciating her the way Quinn does. I'm looking for an epic takedown of Olive by Quinn before the season ends.

Quinn is a fantastic character, struggling with extreme conflicts and entertaining us every minute along the way. And I'll always maintain that nobody loves True Love more than Quinn does.

I agree with your analysis. I HATED the scene with Quinn laughing as she watched Yael's humiliation. I didn't mind Rachel's take-down -- this isn't real life; I don't have to judge her by real life standards -- but Quinn's reaction seemed over the top and out of character. I didn't buy Constance Zimmer's performance and it took me out of the scene. After I watched it a second time (yep, I'm still that much of a fan), I saw it differently. She wasn't really laughing at Yael's situation. She was celebrating having her daughter back.

One other thing: why is it that half the cast can pronounce Yael and the the other half calls her Yayel? So annoying!

• Love 2
On 8/4/2016 at 2:01 PM, tvsoothesthespirit said:

My thoughts on this season and this episode are pretty much in line with the rest of you. I don't really watch this show because it's "great television." More for fun drama -- so my ability to just accept what I see is pretty high.  This time around, though, it's as if they're leaving out 1/3 of every script.

Maybe Quinn doesn't have any more viable eggs. Maybe she has a "hostile womb" and can't carry a baby. Whatever news the doctor gave her, she didn't want to talk about her options. She shut down the possibility and kicked Booth out of her life.  

11 minutes ago, tvlove said:

One other thing: why is it that half the cast can pronounce Yael and the the other half calls her Yayel? So annoying!

ETA: Yes, that really confused me. I wasn't sure what the correct pronunciation was. I had to look it up

Edited by Gurkel
  • Love 2

Maybe Quinn doesn't have any more viable eggs. Maybe she has a "hostile womb" and can't carry a baby. Whatever news the doctor gave her, she didn't want to talk about her options. She shut down the possibility and kicked Booth out of her life.

That's right. A little bit more info. would have made the whole shut down blitzkrieg a little more understandable. Just for me, anyway.

• Love 3
On 8/7/2016 at 11:38 PM, aradia22 said:

And the girls who are eliminated go home each week unlike on a lot of reality shows where they have to stay in some other location. Except, oh, no, they don't because Yael still has to stay? Is it just because she's in the final three? I don't know why they did it this way. It's so much more complicated.

For a show that would not want any info about upcoming episodes leaked, this show has the most open set in all show business. Chet has no role in the show at the moment, but he can come and go as he pleases.  Coleman's out as showrunner, but stays on set.  Darius can leave any time he wants (even after stealing a car).  None of it makes any sense.

• Love 7

I thought Quinn's storyline in this episode was the one that made the most sense, and she basically explained exactly what she was thinking when she said she didn't necessarily want to be a mother but wanted a choice and that she refused to be Booth's disappointment.  Pursuing alternatives was a path to identifying more of her "failings" (in her head).  I don't think Quinn is any less damaged than Rachel, and her poor relationship to her father was alluded to repeatedly.  She just has a very different way of dealing with it, going on the aggressive, actively thwarting contestants' attempts at happiness, and laughing at the "weakness" of others while Rachel goes catatonic.

(I would also warn the cast and crew of Everlasting that, if Rachel is every peppy or cheerful with you, you should watch your back.  Happy Rachel seems to be more dangerous than the other brands of her we've seen.)

• Love 4
On 8/5/2016 at 0:55 PM, reggiejax said:

Worst of all was Constance Zimmer's overdone cackling. I can't believe this woman is nominated for an Emmy. I mean, I have never thought she was anything but a serviceable actress to begin with, but I figured she had done something good on this show. But if this scene is any indication, I think the Emmy people really need to adjust their criteria. 

I'm only familiar with her from this show, and I think she's absolutely horrible, WAY too over the top about everything.  Unless she really is good and "cartoonishly over the top" is how Quinn is supposed to be.

On 8/7/2016 at 11:39 PM, catrice2 said:

I am also in the minority that I do not like the male junior producer?  I am not sure what his title is, but he is so annoying.  His pep talks and guilt trips are boring.  He is also just as self serving as the rest of them.

I'm so glad to see this, I thought I was the only one!  Can't stand him.

On 8/8/2016 at 2:38 AM, aradia22 said:

My read on it is that Yael has always been portrayed as little arrogant because of her looks and supposed intelligence. We've gotten tidbits of her thinking she's intellectually superior to the other contestants (it's been sprinkled in as little side comments) and we've gotten a lot of her trying to trade on her sexuality to manipulate people (not that it's worked incredibly well). So my sense of it was... how do you take down a character who prides herself on her smarts and her beauty? Well, you resort to baseness and crudeness. Scatological humor. It was a very obvious reminder to her that she is just a human animal. It's in everything from The Lady's Dressing Room to someone telling you to stop acting like your shit doesn't stink

This, especially the bolded part, is exactly what I thought the show was going for,

On 8/7/2016 at 10:54 PM, aradia22 said:

I need someone to take smug Madison down a peg, please

Agreed.  Dialing the smug down to 11 would be a huge improvement,

I hope ugly Rachel dies a horrible, HORRIBLE death in the last episode...

She probably raped that poor psycho in her mothers waiting room, and then he killed himself.

Edited by halkatla
On 8/2/2016 at 8:44 PM, CofCinci said:

All season I never understood why Yael was called "Hot Rachel" - I didn't see a resemblance at all.... Until Yael made those I'm-going-to-shit-myself faces. That's the only time she looked like Shiri Appleby. 

I saw it in the room with Coleman where she was shoving her hands through her hair.  Probably noteworthy because Shiri has her hair pulled back all the time as Rachel.

On 8/8/2016 at 2:03 PM, tvlove said:

After I watched it a second time (yep, I'm still that much of a fan), I saw it differently. She wasn't really laughing at Yael's situation. She was celebrating having her daughter back.

Excellent observation! Wish I'd thought of it, and I think you're exactly right!

I would have really liked to hear what the doctor told Quinn that she screamed at her boyfriend that he couldn't buy himself out of this one. Because there is really not much that can't be done with hormone therapy, ivf and a bunch of 20 year old surrogates. Especially since it didn't sound like the doctor actually had a look at her eggs. This seems like some bad writing for the sake of drama.