Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Picture It. PTer. Today.

• Start Topic

I wasn't sure where to put this so I'll just stick it here.

I'm watching "Like the Beep Beep Beep of the Tom-Tom" where Blanch has to get a pacemaker.  

This is such a minor thing, but it always sticks out to me when I'm watching.  Prior to the surgery, she's in a hospital room talking with the other girls, two guys come in with a gurney to take her in for the surgery. In the real-world, the nurses would have moved her from the hospital bed to the gurney or had her get out of the bed and then helped her on to the gurney, but what she actually does is crawl from the bed onto the gurney.  Isn't that a big no-no in the hospital world?

• Love 1

I don't know, I moved myself from the gurney to the operating table before my thyroid surgery because the drugs hadn't kicked in yet. Surprised the heck out of the anesthesiologist, which everyone got a good laugh from. 

• Love 2
On 2/9/2020 at 11:49 AM, BigBingerBro said:

Blanche is often quite clever with sexual slips when speaking as well.  "Candy Stripper" and panties that spell out " Bon appetit"... come to mind.

...Or was it “Bonjour?” 😉

I'm watching the episode Cheaters, where Dorothy is hooking up with Jerry Orbach. Dorothy is about to introduce him to Sophia and he says he's looking forward to it because, "you meet the mother, it gives you a pretty good idea of what the daughter is gonna look like in 30 years." And Dorothy says, "only if you lock me in the dryer."

• LOL 5

Saw Journey to the Center of Attention for the first time in a while today. This show has been around for so long, it's always interesting the different things that make an impression on me over the years. I always considered this Dorothy's 'coming out' episode, where she got the kind of attention usually reserved for Blanche, and women like her, maybe for the first time in her life. This time, I saw it not so much being about Dorothy, but about Blanche and her massive insecurity complex. After Dorothy sings for the first time, one of the guys remarks to Blanche how good she is, and Blanche immediately says "I'm not wearing a bra." Her first reaction is to try to shift the attention back to herself, because she can't stand to be without it for even two minutes. Not even when a good friend benefits. There are other episodes where her insecurity plays a part, but I never noticed what a big theme it was in this one. I've always thought of it as the 'Hard-Hearted Hannah' episode! 

• Love 7
On 3/15/2020 at 5:09 PM, DXD526 said:

Saw Journey to the Center of Attention for the first time in a while today. This show has been around for so long, it's always interesting the different things that make an impression on me over the years. I always considered this Dorothy's 'coming out' episode, where she got the kind of attention usually reserved for Blanche, and women like her, maybe for the first time in her life. This time, I saw it not so much being about Dorothy, but about Blanche and her massive insecurity complex. After Dorothy sings for the first time, one of the guys remarks to Blanche how good she is, and Blanche immediately says "I'm not wearing a bra." Her first reaction is to try to shift the attention back to herself, because she can't stand to be without it for even two minutes. Not even when a good friend benefits. There are other episodes where her insecurity plays a part, but I never noticed what a big theme it was in this one. I've always thought of it as the 'Hard-Hearted Hannah' episode! 

So agree with this.  In fact, I'm embarrassed for Blanche when she does her number on the piano.  I know Rue said it was one of her favorites and many, many have said they love it, but I cringe because all I see is a mega-needy person.  Don't get me wrong, I love Blanche, but on my goodness!

• Love 2

I’m watching the episode where Dorothy refuses to pass the football player. Sophia is going on about how disgusted she is that Dorothy threw a priest out the door. When did this happen? She refused to pass Kevin and the priest got up and left. Was something cut? 

And that horrible Empty Nest episode starts with the dishwasher being broken and dirty dishes stacked all over the sink, counter and island. Blanche is the only one I can imagine not washing those dishes. 

Edited by Ria
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2020 at 8:19 PM, Ria said:

When did this happen? She refused to pass Kevin and the priest got up and left. Was something cut? 

No that's all the happened. Sophia being dramatic I guess.

I watched the Break In last night.  The one where they are robbed. And even though I have seen it dozens of times I still laughed till I cried.  Blanche telling the story of her getting maced at the police station is one of the funniest scenes of any sitcom. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

I watched the episode when Rose adopted her dead uncle’s pig for a $100,000 inheritance. The part that was ridiculous (as if pig adoption wasn’t crazy enough) was how the girls were automatically convinced and ready to adopt what they thought would be a child in a matter of five minutes. Adoption, in spite of the fact they’re all in their 60s through 80s (minus Blanche at 42, lol), had little energy, didn’t bother to consult their existing family members, nor got in front of an adoption lawyer for legal advice, and in a few days they were expecting a child at the door to be delivered at the door and to be legal guardians. This made no sense.

• Love 2

Watching the episode where Virginia asks Blanche for a kidney, and it made me think that Blanche doesn't get on with her sisters or her kids. It seems to me she was not very good at maintaining relationships. She does get on well with her brother Clayton though, though at first her reaction to his coming out could have seriously damaged their relationship. 

And at the end of the episode she says she and Virginia are now good friends again, she finally has a sister.... but next time we see Virginia at Big Daddy's funeral she's so angry with Blanche. Weird.

Edited by MoistestCake
  • Love 1

And at the end of the episode she says she and Virginia are now good friends again, she finally has a sister.... but next time we see Virginia at Big Daddy's funeral she's so angry with Blanche. Weird.

Or just caught up in the moment, which can happen between people sometimes before they revert back to old feelings.

• Love 4

Blanche probably got on well with Clayton because she didn't consider him a rival (except for the time they competed who fogged up the car windows faster). 

I wonder if she would have tried to steal his boyfriends if he came out in high school, just like she stole her sisters' boyfriends. It would have been a real ego boost if she succeeded.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

Watching the episode where Virginia asks Blanche for a kidney, and it made me think that Blanche doesn't get on with her sisters or her kids. It seems to me she was not very good at maintaining relationships. She does get on well with her brother Clayton though, though at first her reaction to his coming out could have seriously damaged their relationship. 

That was a consistent theme with Blanche's character development - her pride or vanity somehow gets in the way of having a good relationship, romantic or otherwise (i.e. Jake, Steven). She points out on several occasions to the Girls about her jealous sibling rivalry with Charmaine and Virginia (they resisted to play with her because she was so beautiful lol). She also had regrets about putting herself before her children since they rarely visit or call as a result and later seasons show that she tried to make amends with Rebecca and Janet at least. 

Edited by Eri
  • Love 4
(edited)

In “Who’s Face is This Anyway?” Blanche wants to get Cheryl Tiegs’ nose. Why? Blanche (Rue) has literally the smallest nose in the world. If she got a nose job, she would look like Voldemort. 

Edited by fleurfairy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/30/2020 at 12:11 AM, Not4Me said:

The part that was ridiculous (as if pig adoption wasn’t crazy enough) was how the girls were automatically convinced and ready to adopt what they thought would be a child in a matter of five minutes.

What made little sense to me was that Rose's uncle would have a baby that needed a guardian. How old was the uncle?? I get that older men have kids all the time, and that he could have been a younger uncle much like Blanche's Uncle Lucas, but the show never seemed to mention the circumstances here. I always thought they should have made the relative a younger cousin or something, or had the girls think the uncle left Rose his dog/bird/regular sounding pet named Baby before finding out it was a pig.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Why they didn't just lone Baby out to a local petting zoo is beyond me.  Or I'm sure Mrs Beutel, owner of Count Bessie, the piano-playing chicken would have taken care of Baby.   Baby would have been much happier and probably would not have been homesick.  Did they say there was a stipulation stating the pig had to live in the house??

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Why they didn't just lone Baby out to a local petting zoo is beyond me.  Or I'm sure Mrs Beutel, owner of Count Bessie, the piano-playing chicken would have taken care of Baby.   Baby would have been much happier and probably would not have been homesick.  Did they say there was a stipulation stating the pig had to live in the house??

And was Blanche’s residence even legally zoned for pig-ownership? It’s not like they lived in an agrarian community, this was the suburbs of Miami-Dade.

Logic was never a requirement in the writers room it seems.

• Love 3

Random question:  I’ve been binging some of the earlier seasons, and wondering why is there always a mug under the refrigerator ice maker in the GG kitchen?  It even changes sometimes.  Was this a thing, at some point?  Seems like it would be dangerous.  As in, one could break it when opening the freezer...  It’s been kind of bugging/distracting me.

I'm almost through the first season for my first time (I didn't own a TV when it originally aired). 
I have mixed feelings about the hundreds of episodes available for viewing. They are good for insomnia and anxiety, but the PrimeTimer Curated Binges make me think would be nice to have some recommendations for must-see episodes.

Every time I see the end of the Rose-may-have-HIV episode, as the girls go off looking forward to Dorothy's wetland banquet and Sophia realizes she didn’t stuff the envelopes with invitations, I want to see what happens. Unfair that we are just left hanging. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm almost through the first season for my first time (I didn't own a TV when it originally aired). 
I have mixed feelings about the hundreds of episodes available for viewing. They are good for insomnia and anxiety, but the PrimeTimer Curated Binges make me think would be nice to have some recommendations for must-see episodes.

I can tell you that my favorites (outside of the first season) are:

Ladies of the Evening (Season 2, episode 2)

Isn't It Romantic? (Season 2, episode 5)

Twas the Nightmare Before Christmas (Season 2, episode 11)

Forgive Me, Father (Season 2, episode 18)

Letter to Gorbachev (Season 3, episode 6)

Brotherly Love (Season 3, episode 😎

The Artist (Season 3, episode 18)

Mixed Blessings (Season 3, episode 23)

Yes, We Have No Havanas (Season 4, episode 1)

Scared Straight (Season 4, episode 9)

Foreign Exchange (Season 4, episode 24)

Dancing in the Dark (Season 5, episode 6)

Clinton Avenue Memoirs (Season 5, episode 16)

Once, in St. Olaf (Season 6, episode 2)

Henny Penny - Straight, No Chaser (Season 6, episode 26)

The Curse of the Libertine Belle (Season 7, episode 2)

Journey to the Center of Attention (Season 7, episode 19)

One Flew Out of the Cuckoo's Nest (Season 7, episode 25/26)

(Why yes, today was a boring day at work, why do you ask?)

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 1:03 PM, Blakeston said:

my favorites (outside of the first season)

What are your Season 1 favorites?

I just watched 1.19 “Second Motherhood,” which had the most LOL moments so far for me. It was written by Christopher Lloyd of “Modern Family” repute (not the actor of the same name). There was some great physical comedy too (like Blanche wrestling with the luxury airplane seat); it was directed by Gary Shimokawa. 
Kudos too (IMO) for making it about children without having to trot out actual child actors.

But overall so far I seem to prefer the episodes by female writers. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Does anyone else think the episode where the girls went on vacation and got stranded on an island with three young guys was intended to be a backdoor pilot? There's something off about it that's different than with other guest stars.

• Love 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Does anyone else think the episode where the girls went on vacation and got stranded on an island with three young guys was intended to be a backdoor pilot? There's something off about it that's different than with other guest stars.

Definitely - like perhaps the three guys would join forces to buy and run the crappy hotel they stayed at on the island.  It just seemed like they were tempting the viewer to want to know more about those guys, their background, what brought them together, etc.   Meanwhile whatever happened to Sofia's romance with Mr Matsumo?

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Definitely - like perhaps the three guys would join forces to buy and run the crappy hotel they stayed at on the island.  It just seemed like they were tempting the viewer to want to know more about those guys, their background, what brought them together, etc.   Meanwhile whatever happened to Sofia's romance with Mr Matsumo?

Except for Mr. Matsumo and Sophia, this was one of my least favorite episodes, although Rose taking charge was kind of funny.  

• Love 4

At least this 'pilot' has a few laughs in it and isn't a total waste of time, unlike the Empty Nest episode. That gets a hard pass from me every time it's on.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Except for Mr. Matsumo and Sophia, this was one of my least favorite episodes, although Rose taking charge was kind of funny.  

I also liked when Dorothy told her dentist experience during the Great Depression and how it was preferable to this vacation.

I liked the island episode, though nothing about it screams backdoor pilot to me at all.

The Empty Nest episode always gets a pass from me, though.

• Love 1

In the episode where Sophia thinks she’s having a heart attack after over eating at the party they threw, I think it’s rather rude to invite a guest over, put out an elaborate display of food, and then criticize a guest behind her back for eating it and enjoying it. No matter what she weighs. 

• Love 5

The episode where Rose gets Baby the pig, she says her uncle died leaving her his baby. Her uncle (Hinglblotter) must be at least 70-something, and no-one queries how he has a young baby, or where the mother is in all this?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

The episode where Rose gets Baby the pig, she says her uncle died leaving her his baby. Her uncle (Hinglblotter) must be at least 70-something, and no-one queries how he has a young baby, or where the mother is in all this?

I guess since Dorothy's grandmother was 94 when she was only 6 years old, there's no reason why uncle can't have a baby at 70.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I guess since Dorothy's grandmother was 94 when she was only 6 years old, there's no reason why uncle can't have a baby at 70.

Remarkable woman was Dorothy’s grandmother. If Dorothy was 6 when she was 94, she must have given birth to Sophia while well into her 60s. And then she lived to work on Eisenhower’s 1953 Presidential campaign, making her at least 111 at the time, assuming Dorothy was born around 1930. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Ria said:

Remarkable woman was Dorothy’s grandmother. If Dorothy was 6 when she was 94, she must have given birth to Sophia while well into her 60s. And then she lived to work on Eisenhower’s 1953 Presidential campaign, making her at least 111 at the time, assuming Dorothy was born around 1930. 

She had a lot of time on her hands after she colonized life on Venus - it expanded her life expectancy.

• LOL 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

If I remember correctly, the point of that episode was to point out  racism with humor  the way they did lots of controversial  things.  The Girls having a mud pack  facial when they met Lorraine was a subtle dig  at black face - not an approval of it.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
31 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

If I remember correctly, the point of that episode was to point out  racism with humor  the way they did lots of controversial  things.  The Girls having a mud pack  facial when they met Lorraine was a subtle dig  at black face - not an approval of it.  

Yes, but at this time when everyone is hyper aware, it’s best to remove it. I first saw it recently and felt embarrassed for the show. 
I can understand why Betty White had to say something about it being mud, but it was clearly a joke about blackface too, so, IMO, it would have been better if she’d just pointed that out and apologized so there wouldn’t now be all these people feeling like they need to defend Betty White. *sigh*

(edited)

I understand the hyper-awareness around blackface being used in any type of media nowadays (and rightfully so!), but this move from Hulu seems to be missing the point of the BLM movement. There are larger, more systemic issues that need addressing. A joke about blackface from an episode of a 30+ year old sitcom seems like small potatoes. Not to mention the fact that the episode dealt with an interracial + May/December relationship in a pretty progressive way, especially for the 1980s. Why remove the episode from the lineup when it would have been just as effective to edit the scene entirely? 

Edited by Stinger97
  • Love 5