Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Picture It. PTer. Today.

• Start Topic

This was a flashback episode when they were figuring out ways to lose weight. Rose was the smart one when she didn't let Yvonne manipulate her into buying all those items for weight loss. Just stuck with her sweats and PF Flyers.

Don't know how Dorothy & Blanche fell for Yvonne's sales pitch with the whole aerobic suits, warm up outfits, headbands, legwarmers, wristbands.  $85 for some plain white ugly shoes and at a bargain price?  Girl you better get out of my face with that. I don't see a Michael Jordan or Nike logo on them. Would've been like Rose and said no.  Then after she said they needed water bottles and new gym bags, at that point I would have just left. 

Plus when Dorothy & Blanche were taking out the clothes before putting it on they didn't see how odd the clothes looked for working out. Looked like the other ladies at the gym didn't fall for buying it either.

• Love 2

Speaking of that episode where they go to Yvonne's gym.  Is there a scene cut out on some re-runs?   It often goes from their  initial entrance and introduction straight to the girls in the new outfits walking into the studio.   Is there a scene where Yvonne tries to sell them stuff?

2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Speaking of that episode where they go to Yvonne's gym.  Is there a scene cut out on some re-runs?   It often goes from their  initial entrance and introduction straight to the girls in the new outfits walking into the studio.   Is there a scene where Yvonne tries to sell them stuff?

IDK how much is cut out in the reruns but after Yvonne introduces herself and tries to get them to buy the $85 shoes, Rose declines and leaves leaving Blanche & Dorothy and Yvonne goes on about what they all will need like the aerobic outfits, wristbands, etc.

13 minutes ago, SweetSin said:

IDK how much is cut out in the reruns but after Yvonne introduces herself and tries to get them to buy the $85 shoes, Rose declines and leaves leaving Blanche & Dorothy and Yvonne goes on about what they all will need like the aerobic outfits, wristbands, etc.

Interesting.  That seems to be cut out whenever I see that episode.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Interesting.  That seems to be cut out whenever I see that episode.

It has been cut out. I liked this line from the scene: 

Yvonne: Well you need something to keep your thighs warm. What are you using now?
Dorothy: Friction. That's why we're here.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Random, but I always mean to do this whenever I catch the episode where everyone keeps saying Dorothy looks like Fess Parker. I finally googled him because I had no clue who he was. After seeing his pictures...I can totally see the resemblance, lol.

• LOL 4
On 9/29/2021 at 1:20 AM, Giuseppe said:

Random, but I always mean to do this whenever I catch the episode where everyone keeps saying Dorothy looks like Fess Parker. I finally googled him because I had no clue who he was. After seeing his pictures...I can totally see the resemblance, lol.

I did the same recently, was curious who he was, and finally looked him up. I too see the resemblance. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So Rose didn’t get a high school diploma because she got mono three weeks before graduation. Anyone think Rose doesn’t know the difference between graduating and a graduation ceremony and she had been recorded as completing high school all along? Unless Mr. Sticklemeyer was just a meanie who flunked her. I still don’t believe Dorothy was so unethical as to change her grade when she clearly got the answer wrong. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ria said:

Anyone think Rose doesn’t know the difference between graduating and a graduation ceremony and she had been recorded as completing high school all along? 

Yes, especially since she was admitted to college where she was a member of the Alpha Yams. 🙄

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I watched the series finale on TVLand today and a couple of random things caught my attention:

Dorothy really had quite a getup on for someone who was having her second wedding. Usually I’ve seen older first-time brides or second-wedding brides in way simpler outfits so I was fascinated that Dorothy went with the big white dress and the veil covering the face, unless her wedding to Stan was less formal and she wanted to go bigger the second time around?

How can you possibly get engaged after knowing someone for three days? 

I noticed when Dorothy leaves at the end that there were wedding presents still on the table by the living room window. 

Why does Sophia say she agreed to stay behind with Rose and Blanche when Rose said she was going to live with Kiersten? (Unless Rose changed her mind and I walked away at an inopportune time and missed that.)

• Love 3

The dress was ugly, true, but not all women (older or otherwise) go simpler on their second wedding dress.

I noticed when Dorothy leaves at the end that there were wedding presents still on the table by the living room window. 

Either she decided she didn't need them and left them with the girls, or maybe there wasn't room at the time and Blanche would ship them to Dorothy later.

Why does Sophia say she agreed to stay behind with Rose and Blanche when Rose said she was going to live with Kiersten?

Rose changed her mind.

• Love 1

I watched most of the marathon yesterday, even though TVLand's edits drive me batty!! For instance, in the episode where Rose is going to sail the world with her boyfriend, Dorothy says that after a few glasses of champagne, she'll kiss any man in sight. The *splash* and the shouted cry of "Man overboard!" is omitted in the edit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I hate the way reruns cut and edit everything. I caught the episode where Blanche's brother admits he's gay and the cut that great scene where Rose realizes it--"Clayton, you're that thing that everyone said Olga Larsen's nephew was 'cause he wore paisley clogs and gave out puff pastry on Halloween."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Dr.OO7 said:

that great scene where Rose realizes it--"Clayton, you're that thing that everyone said Olga Larsen's nephew was 'cause he wore paisley clogs and gave out puff pastry on Halloween."

I don't think I have ever heard that in the hundreds of times I have seen that episode!!  wow

• Love 5

There was a live stream for Betty White's best moments on Youtube which just comprised of TVLand edits from Golden Girls and I concur with the cuts being so ridiculously annoying. There was a brief interlude with Hot in Cleveland that had random scenes but very little Betty White in it? It was the oddest thing, then it would switch back to Golden Girls and just show random moments that weren't at all Betty-centric?

Ah well, at least they were able to raise $5k for the American Humane Society.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Does anyone know who does the edits when a show goes into syndication? Is it whoever owns the rights to the show, or the channels it's shown on?

Unless contractually stipulated, it can be the owner and/or the lessee (that's how the same show aired in syndication on two different networks can have different cuts).  Sometimes the studio will hire someone to produce a cut for time syndicated version, and then a particular network picking it up will make additional cuts for content (e.g. the puritans at Hallmark).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Unless contractually stipulated, it can be the owner and/or the lessee (that's how the same show aired in syndication on two different networks can have different cuts).  Sometimes the studio will hire someone to produce a cut for time syndicated version, and then a particular network picking it up will make additional cuts for content (e.g. the puritans at Hallmark).

Thank you.

"the puritans at Hallmark". 🤣 Makes me wonder what cuts Hallmark makes in Monk when they air it.

• Love 2

Hated Miles too. So many horrible and annoying qualities. 

I liked Officer Al but I also like John Neretti for Dorothy. She had good chemistry with quite a few actors over the seasons. I guess the one I didn't like was Leslie Nielsen just because it seemed so contrived for the finale. It was like they just threw Dorothy a bone and the pairing of them made no sense. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, fleurfairy said:

I guess the one I didn't like was Leslie Nielsen just because it seemed so contrived for the finale. It was like they just threw Dorothy a bone and the pairing of them made no sense. 

I liked Uncle Lucas. He and Dorothy had some funny zingers when they didn't like each other and then when scheming to teach Blanche a lesson.

Rose's remark when he fake proposed was another thinly veiled reference to her looks but I found it amusing anyway. "Strong, handsome, daring...and now she's got a man." 

Edited by Snow Apple
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

On Tuesday, I watch Forever Golden! A Celebration of the Golden Girls at my local movie theater. It was such a great time with me and about 19 others watching 6 episodes of Golden Girls. I enjoyed it, of course, but I found myself wondering which 6 episodes I would pick if I was going to select the episodes for the viewing. Then I found myself wondering what my fellow Golden Girls lovers would choose. I'll go first.

1. Pilot

2. The Way We Met

3. Diamond in the Rough

4. Mrs. George Devoreaux

5. Break In

6. Valentine's Day

• Love 2

It’s screwball antics for me, I’d pick:

1. The one where they adopt Rose’s pig

2. Grab That Dough

3. The second time Angela visits Sophia

4. The one where Sophia and Blanche fight over the Cuban guy

5. The community theatre actor who sleeps with all the girls

6. The murder mystery weekend in Season 7

• Love 2

The episode War Buddy I believe it's called. The guy that was going to scam Rose out of money. If Charlie showed this guy numerous photos of Rose like he claimed then why did he confuse Sophia for Rose? He had to be a bad con man because why would he think Rose would be sitting on a pile of cash long after Charlie's death and he should've been tipped off that she didn't have a lot of money de to the fact that she's living w/roommates. People have roommates to hopefully save money.

If I was to choose six episodes to show:

1. Grab That Dough

2. Goodbye Mr. Gordon

3. Scared Straight

4. A Little Romance

5. Accurate Conception

6. Henny Penny

• Like 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

My pick 6.  That was hard to only pick six.

1.   A Little Romance

2.  The Break-in

3.  Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself

4.  Love Rose

5.  It’s A Miserable Life

6.  Mixed Blessing

I'm with you except for Mixed Blessing and Love Rose.  ADORE A little Romance! {Shrimp?}  Best face Rue ever made, and the clicking of her kitten heels just made the scene!

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Like 3
On 3/6/2023 at 11:46 PM, ButterQueen said:

My pick 6.  That was hard to only pick six.

1.   A Little Romance

2.  The Break-in

3.  Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself

4.  Love Rose

5.  It’s A Miserable Life

6.  Mixed Blessing

So tell me, is Rose your favorite Golden Girl?

• Like 1

Dorothy is my favorite too, followed by Blanche. 

Sometimes when watching, I can’t get over how I was a college girl when the show started and I first watched these episodes and now I’m their age. Scary how time passes. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Ria said:

Dorothy is my favorite too, followed by Blanche. 

Sometimes when watching, I can’t get over how I was a college girl when the show started and I first watched these episodes and now I’m their age. Scary how time passes. 

The show premiered exactly four days before my 13th birthday; I'm now 50, going on 51. Time flies, indeed.

• Like 5

Finished the whole series on Hulu about a month ago and now I’m ready to go back in and start all over again. I watched the whole thing in about 4.5 months when I was laid off and as easy TV on Sundays. (I wish it would be back on TVLand all afternoon.) 

I really don’t have many complaints about the show as a whole. Didn’t like the Empty Nest episode in S2 or a few episodes in S4, but that’s about all I’ll be skipping in the future. And I like each of the girls for their own reasons. It’s really the one show I never get tired of watching. 

• Like 2
On 9/24/2021 at 2:05 PM, SweetSin said:

O I loved the line when Yvonne asks, when they decline leg warmers, how do you keep your thighs warm and Dorothy snaps "with friction"!

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

So your baby sort of grew up with the show! Cool mom!

He'll never admit it, to this day, that he's seen every episode.  He'll take that one to the grave.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I recently saw a clip on Instagram of Betty and Bea dancing...looked like it was a clip from some variety show from back in the 60s or 70s (the instagram clip didn't say where it was from...it was more of a meme that was something like 'me and my best friend whenever our song at the club drops' and had 'Gonna Make You Sweat' dubbed over whatever Betty and Bea were originally dancing to. Wish I knew how to link to it cuz it's pretty funny). Anyway, I had always assumed that in the episode where Dorothy hurts her foot tap dancing and Rose and Blanche have to go on without her, they had Dorothy be the one to get hurt because Bea couldn't dance like Betty and Rue. But boy does that clip prove me wrong!!  Bea was really getting after it! Now watching that ep, when Blanche and Rose are rehearsing by themselves but still playing out Dorothy's part, Blanche's remark that she never knew how long Dorothy's solo was makes me see that scene in a whole new light because before I could not see Bea tap dancing her way through a long solo number!

Edited by Giuseppe
1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

I recently saw a clip on Instagram of Betty and Bea dancing...looked like it was a clip from some variety show from back in the 60s or 70s (the instagram clip didn't say where it was from...

This is the original (they were on Dinah Shore's show):

The mash-up is on TikTok

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1