Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Stinger97

All Episodes Talk: Picture It. PTer. Today.

Recommended Posts

Now that Hallmark is airing its godawful Christmas movies instead of The Girls, I watch the DVDs every weekday morning. It's very interesting, because I end up seeing scenes that I haven't seen in years that are deleted in syndication.

I had completely forgotten that Sophia accused the local Asian family of eating dogs. 😟 The mud pack scene may have gotten the Lorraine episode banned, but I think the dog-eating joke has to be the most racially uncomfortable moment of the series.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

 

I had completely forgotten that Sophia accused the local Asian family of eating dogs. 😟 The mud pack scene may have gotten the Lorraine episode banned, but I think the dog-eating joke has to be the most racially uncomfortable moment of the series.

Which episode is that? I don't remember it. Is it (hopefully) cut in syndication?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/23/2020 at 8:02 PM, Snow Apple said:

Which episode is that? I don't remember it. Is it (hopefully) cut in syndication?

Three on a Couch, where the girls go to a therapist because they fight so much. The whole scene is usually cut in syndication - it involves Blanche and Rose wanting to sleep in Dorothy's bed because they watched one of the Alien movies and they're afraid. (It's the scene where Sophia says "That Sigourney Weaver is a sweet girl, but she shouldn't go without makeup.")

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/23/2020 at 6:38 PM, Blakeston said:

Now that Hallmark is airing its godawful Christmas movies instead of The Girls, I watch the DVDs every weekday morning. It's very interesting, because I end up seeing scenes that I haven't seen in years that are deleted in syndication.

I had completely forgotten that Sophia accused the local Asian family of eating dogs. 😟 The mud pack scene may have gotten the Lorraine episode banned, but I think the dog-eating joke has to be the most racially uncomfortable moment of the series.

I agree its a terrible line in an otherwise great episode. I also hate that cabbie in a turban line Sophia has in another episode. Personally I always skip The Housekeeper. It's just uncomfortable to watch. The girls suspect their housekeeper of practicing voodoo and then try to bribe her into reversing her voodoo only to realize she's just a lazy worker who's preoccupied with school.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/31/2020 at 8:19 PM, Hiyo said:

Rose posing as Korean ....

Look what you've done! You've upset Kim Fing Toi is one of my favourite moments ever on the GG. It's excellent Dorothy sarcasm (maybe about how stupid the others are who didn't "spot" she isn't Korean).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

You've upset Kim Fing Toi

I often used to use that with my late patner.  Whenever I was hurt or feeling unwell, I'd say "You've upset Kim Fung Toy" - and we'd both laugh and laugh.  Definitely one of the best one-liners of the series!

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

There was the roof episode where Blanche should have paid for a new roof but shouldn't Blanche have also paid for the installation of the new toilet that Dorothy and Rose partnered up to fix?

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/7/2020 at 3:01 AM, SweetSin said:

There was the roof episode where Blanche should have paid for a new roof but shouldn't Blanche have also paid for the installation of the new toilet that Dorothy and Rose partnered up to fix?

We don't know she didn't contribute. I actually think that only Blanche should have paid as only she owns the house, until they all own part of it later down the line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was in the grocery store today and I was checking out the desserts when I found they had a Yule log. I immediately thought of Rose's honey brown sugar molasses Rice Krispies log and wanted to burn it lol.

Happy Christmas to all!

Edited by Eri
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

"The Engagement" is a favorite and I know Sophia was to be an occasional character rather than a regular, but stole the show.  Every time I watch this episode I realize how little Coco was given to do.  Compared to Sophia he was almost a walk-on, yet as I understand it, he was to be a the fourth person living in the house.  I wonder if the writers realized in read throughs that Sophia would be a huge hit so reduced Coco's role.  It would have been fun to see him for a few more episodes and given a graceful exit, not just disappear.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

I wonder if the writers realized in read throughs that Sophia would be a huge hit so reduced Coco's role. 

I'm sure that was the main reason for Coco's demise.  I also think that perhaps the writers would find it hard to write episodes surrounding the girl's struggles with money, but yet they still had a live-in cook?  That might have required more of aback story on Coco, which we never got.  I think they made a good decision keeping Sofia.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone hate the episode “Three Rode Together”? Just hate everything about it. Ma was insufferable. Dorothy had no spine. And Dorothy’s boyfriend was a jerk. I get that he was sick of Sophia. Anyone would be. But I saw nothing about him that was special and his constant eye rolling was rude to Dorothy. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I meant to post this earlier, but last week on Jeopardy the following clue popped up in Double Jeopardy: "A young cow that hasn't had a calf." Of course, I jumped up and screamed "WHAT IS A HEIFER!" like any sane adult. Thank you Rose Nylund, and thank you Jeopardy producers for that little (likely unintentional) GG Easter egg. : )

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I meant to post this earlier, but last week on Jeopardy the following clue popped up in Double Jeopardy: "A young cow that hasn't had a calf." Of course, I jumped up and screamed "WHAT IS A HEIFER!" like any sane adult. Thank you Rose Nylund, and thank you Jeopardy producers for that little (likely unintentional) GG Easter egg. : )

The best part was, that GG episode aired in syndication the same night as the J! episode - so I heard the clue on J! and then just a couple of hours later, heard it again on GG.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

After getting into GG a few years ago, I finally saw the two episode series finale during the TVLand reruns yesterday and I was...underwhelmed. I wish they'd spent more time building up Dorothy and Lucas' relationship. They fake an engagement to piss off Blanche and then have a scene or two where they talk about how much fun they've been having together and then Lucas proposes for real and then the beginning of the next episode says "Two months later" and there's wedding presents in the background and Dorothy and Lucas are about to get married! It felt like the writers were just over the show at that point and wanted to hurry things along, details be damned.

It would've been nice if Dorothy and Lucas met five or six episodes before the series finale and we saw them clicking and gradually falling for each other, then the last episode had them getting married. I like to experience the process of two people falling in love. Oh, well. I guess I'm too much of a romantic for this show lol

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, jessro92 said:

It would've been nice if Dorothy and Lucas met five or six episodes before the series finale and we saw them clicking and gradually falling for each other, then the last episode had them getting married.

I totally agree.  It was all so rushed and rather unbelievable.  The scene with Stan in the Limo really was a too quick way to put closure on that relationship.   Dorothy and Lucas were such opposites, but I guess if they named the sex, then that's all that matters.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah but that type of serial style storytelling was never in this show’s DNA. We got the occasional call-back with some family members and love interests, and even then the show didn’t always get it right. 

Share this post


Link to post

It always bugged me that Dorothy felt differently about her new son-in-law Dennis when she found out he was a podiatrist. Podiatrists are medical doctors, just like cardiologists, gynecologists and bariactric physicians. I guess she was thinking that all podiatrists do is take care of ingrown toe nails. Those of us who watch "My Feet Are Killing Me" know differently. (I've developed a whole new respect for podiatrists after watching that show.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't think podiatrists went to the same medical schools that doctors who go on to be cardiologists,  gynecologists, etc. attend. I thought they had their own school, much like optometrists. Either way, I thought Dorothy's reaction was inappropriate, as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dorothy made it pretty clear that all that mattered to her was that Dennis was a doctor. Everything else about him was completely irrelevant. The obsession with his profession was pretty gross.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My husband doesn't laugh much,but he chuckles mostly. But I had him down to watch A Little Romance and he actually LOL'd during Shrimp, Short Ribs and Rose Nyland are you playing a joke.  He said Blanche had the greatest expressions.  I agree!

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

A Little Romance

In an interview, Bea Aurther said that she actually called a viewer who had written in saying that the jokes in the episode were offensive.  She basically explained the jokes to this lady.   I hope she convinced her to find it funny after all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

In the episode where Charmaine visits and Blanche thinks she inspired the book, Dorothy tells the story of a fight as a child with her sister, Gloria: Dorothy bit Gloria, and Sophia says that Gloria is the one who needed the rabies shot... But why would Dorothy have rabies that she could pass to her sister??

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, MoistestCake said:

In the episode where Charmaine visits and Blanche thinks she inspired the book, Dorothy tells the story of a fight as a child with her sister, Gloria: Dorothy bit Gloria, and Sophia says that Gloria is the one who needed the rabies shot... But why would Dorothy have rabies that she could pass to her sister??

She was a biter🙃😂

Share this post


Link to post

Don't know if this has been brought up here before, but this just hit me last night while watching The Case of the Libertine Bell for the 327th time...the two sibling characters in the murder mystery are named Philip and Gloria, which are also the real names of Dorothy's brother and sister. I mean, did the writers just get extra lazy here? Or was it meant to be a coincidence? If so, you'd think that it would at least get mentioned somehow as some sort of throwaway joke. Or maybe it did and it's just been edited out of syndication. In any case, weird that I just now noticed that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size