Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Picture It. PTer. Today.

• Start Topic

They were in early to mid fifties when the show started. I always felt the same way you do. I am in my mid fifties and my friends and I all work and still have kids at home anywhere from 9 to 20. Those of us like me with a college kid expect them to be home for summer,spring break etc. I would never move away and leave them with nowhere to go.

Obviously some people had kids at younger ages then and now but they still should have college age kids or young grandchildren they cared about. I think it is a great show but ‘Golden’ is more 80 than 55.

• Love 3

Yes, 50s is right.  Dorothy and Stan divorced after 28 years, and were married at 18.  I'm not sure if Stan was older than her.  Anyway, that'd make her at leas 56.  Granted with this show's continuity  she may not have aged pasted that. :-P  But they did keep the timeline right of the marriage and divorce. Sophia was 80 or early 80s when the show began.  I know she was 84 at some point.  Rose was similar in age to Dorothy, and Blanche was the youngest, but not as young as she says.  People did age differently back then, even though "back then" is in my lifetime.  Some is the hair and makeup and clothes style, some is getting married and having kids younger, and I'm sure there's other factors.  I know they all had facelifts at various points in time, but even so if you look at the first seasons and just at their faces, they really don't look that old.

• Love 5

I think it is less about the age itself than the mindset of a given age, if that makes sense. Today, 40 or even 50 is considered still young(ish). But to look at family members in this same age range from, say, back in the 1950s or 1960s (via pictures, mainly), and one was already considered "old", and they even dressed much older.

Attitudes of age have evolved as much as the clothing, ideas of age has over the past few decades.

In terms of the show, I think the '80s - and maybe, in part, thanks to this show - helped to turn the tides in seeing one in their 50s as "over the hill" with their life basically "done" and ready for a rocking chair. Thank goodness.

• Love 4

Continuity was not the show's strong suit, but they weren't wildly inconsistent with the few references to specific ages (the problems come from the fact the ages of people related to them don't line up), so if you put those together and accept them as semi-accurate, heh, the ages as the show begins are approximately: 80 for Sophia, 55 for Dorothy and Rose, and a couple of years younger for Blanche.

People in their 50s, 60s, and 70s look, dress, and act a lot younger today than they did at the time of the series, so, yes, it can be jarring to watch this now and hear an age reference.

• Love 2
(edited)

Bea Arthur and Betty white - born in 1922. Estelle Getty - 1923. Rue mcclanahan - 1934. The show started in 1985 so most of them were in their 60s as actors. but obviously that’s not always the characters age.   

You are right that the premise that Rose and Blanches’ offspring were totally independent was off base. They each had 5 kids so at least a couple should have been in college and home for breaks, or needing a home base when the show began. Dorothy was the only one of the three with kids that all would have been older at the time. The writers even messed that up with Michael somehow losing 10 years somewhere. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

Blanche went through menopause so I guess the show was implying she was in her late 40's or early 50's. 

Hot in Cleveland is basically the same show and I'm sure the actresses had work done, but they still look so much younger than GG. Hair styles also make a huge difference in appearance. Long flowing princess hair doesn't fit the Girls, but those big tight curls just scream old lady even in the 80s. I can't imagine them any other way though.

• Love 3

My mom is turning sixty this year and she hasn’t had any work done, but she looks WAY younger than the Girls. Makeup is a huge part—she doesn’t wear any, and besides, the dark, heavy makeup of the time added years to the face. Her hair is short and she decided to go gray, but it’s in soft layers rather than tight curls. She also hasn’t started dressing like an old lady. My grandmother never showed her bare arms or legs after a certain age, and maybe it was a generational thing. 

• Love 2

I saw Blanche reading this book on an episode of The Golden Girls called Triple Play. I took some screenshots of it and was wondering if anyone recognizes it. Thanks!

LtWbfVo.png.2495744dac8cdded928f36ede5e2a185.pngTvJMcI6.thumb.png.9101e2190e5e2ef13d80c9e1d3121b7d.pngji9Mr46.jpg.6bbc4775ae56e2b81f0d127b149a3aca.jpg

On 7/9/2018 at 11:34 AM, mmecorday said:

This might fall under the banner of unpopular opinions, but with the exception of Blanche going on about the "little balls of sunshine," I cannot stand the "Sick and Tired" two-parter. It's depressing and what they do at the restaurant to get out of paying for their expensive champagne is reprehensible. Dorothy should have checked out the price of the champagne before she ordered it. And I hate it when Dorothy unloads on the doctor at the restaurant. Her symptoms did mimic signs of depression and all the tests revealed that there was nothing physically wrong with her. And the doctor told her that most of his patients couldn't walk. I don't know why it would make her feel any better when her illness had a name -- there's no cure for it and it's very debilitating (although it didn't seem to bother her much in the latter seasons.) There's just something about Bea Arthur's performance that bugs me in these episodes.

I don't care for that scene at all.  I get that Dorothy was upset, but I think about the wife in this situation.  Yes, she ended up telling her husband to hush and listen to Dorothy, but Dorothy had no way of knowing what was going on.  They could have been celebrating their anniversary or her finding out that her own illness was in remission.  The woman was innocent but Dorothy was going to go over there and ruin her evening just the same.  It was neither the time nor the place.  No reason Dorothy couldn't wait and see him in his office to tell him everything she said in the restaurant.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:07 AM, DXD526 said:

Of course they would. That always bothered me about this episode. Anyone with that job surely knows when champagne has been tampered with. And also knows methods people use to get out of paying. Why didn't he taste someone else's glass or pour some from the bottle? I hate when a joke requires that everyone acts like a moron. 

What weirded me out was that he just took a swig from the same glass Sophia just drank out of.  Who does that?  Pouring some from the bottle would have made much more sense.  I don't by that he would just drink after a total stranger, no questions asked.

On 7/20/2018 at 8:16 PM, Ria said:

I can’t wait until Hallmark’s Christmas in July is over. I miss watching “the girls” when I get in bed. 

Ugh.  Yes!  I love Christmas as much as anyone, but Hallmark is too over the top with the movies.  They start before Halloween with the "Countdown to Christmas" and continue past New Years.  Now they have these movies on for a month in July, as well. Oh, but they make sure to still air that horrible Home and Family for 4 straight hours. Give me my Golden Girls back!

• Love 5

Many of you GG fans may already know this, but I just found out that the actor who played Dorothy's son, Michael and the actor that played Blanche's grandson, David are half brothers. I always enjoy the trivia stuff about Golden Girls. And I, too, cannot wait for Hallmark's Christmas in July to be done!!

• Love 2

I never mind the Sick & Tired episodes, especially the part where Dorothy told the doctor off.  I’ve been in Dorothy’s shoes, so to speak, and it’s horrible.  Some doctors do suck....and my husband is a doctor.  ?

On 7/20/2018 at 9:16 PM, Ria said:

I can’t wait until Hallmark’s Christmas in July is over. I miss watching “the girls” when I get in bed. 

I’m sick of Christmas movies too.  I’m recording GG’s on TV Land and Logo.

• Love 3
On 7/9/2018 at 2:59 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I think Dorothy’s issue was that the doctors kept dismissing her. She then took additional steps, such as speaking to mental health professionals, and kept getting dismissed. If the last guy had actually spoken with/read the letters from her previous doctors, or shown her any compassion, before acknowledging that he didn’t have the answer, I don’t think she’d have gone off on him. But he treated her like she was wasting his time and faking her illness because he couldn’t possibly be dealing with an unknown diagnosis. His big solution was that she was getting older and to change her hair. His whole attitude was the issue that Dorothy took issue with and was the worst of the bunch. 

The champagne scam was low no matter what else went on. 

I totally agree with this, but I still get the worst second hand cringe when I hear Dorothy's monologue.  I just can't watch it; I'm too embarrassed for her.

I thinks it’s so odd that the show used different actors to play a character but then reused actors to play different characters. Off the top of my head, Sophia’s husband also played the jester at the Medieval restaurant, the Italian lady who claimed to be Dorothy’s mother was also the mean old lady who wanted the tree cut down, Blanche’s college professor who wanted sex was also the boyfriend Holly slept with, the Dean Blanche went to for help ran the sperm bank her daughter went to, Sophia’s friend who wanted to kill herself was the mother in the train station trying to visit her daughters grave. And there are many others. But then Rebecca, Gloria, and Kiersten are all played by two different actresses as well as Big Daddy being played by two different actors. 

• Love 2
On 7/14/2018 at 11:50 AM, Snow Apple said:

Blanche went through menopause so I guess the show was implying she was in her late 40's or early 50's. 

The writers were fairly consistent about Blanche (and Sophia's) ages.

In the flashback with Blanche's mother ("I thought Virginia was the slut." "No ma'am, that was me!"), we learn that Blanche was 16 or 17 (I forget which) in the late 1940's, which would mean she was in her early fifties when the show began. That fits with her entering menopause in the beginning of season two.

I guess it's easy to maintain good continuity re: a character's age when she never tells the truth about it!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

Why do they wear so much makeup to bed? 

I always noticed that too. And in the hospital for surgery. Of course hospitals don’t allow makeup during surgery. Either they didn’t look so good without makeup or it was just laziness on the part of the makeup and lightning people. 

Edited by Ria
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Ria said:

I always noticed that too. And in the hospital for surgery. Of course hospitals don’t allow makeup during surgery. Either they didn’t look so good without makeup or it was just laziness on the part of the makeup and lightning people. 

It's teevee - they would have looked not so good without makeup.

• Love 2
On 8/28/2018 at 8:50 PM, aquarian1 said:

Yeah, it's TV and in the 80s.  All women (in all TV shows) also wore bras under the pajamas, even in bed.

I’m in real life in the 2010s and I do that.

ETA: Now that I think about it, that may be because I grew up on 80s TV!

Edited by link417
  • Love 4

How about the episode when Blanche and Dorothy read Rose's diary from when she was much much younger and lived with 2 pigs? Surely they'd have noticed it is from years ago, especially since personal diaries have dated entries? And surely Rose wouldn't have got so upset about her diary from ages ago, even if it was personal? And why didn't she tell them to be her vigenfrügen to make up for it? 

• Love 2

The Michael and Lorraine episode. It's kinda of a shame that their relationship ended, proving Dorothy's and Lorraine's mother's prejudices right. 

It's also interesting that Michael is younger than in previous episodes. 

Not to mention the vanishing baby. 

• Love 1

I watched the episode with John Nuretti recently. He was the guy that asked Dorothy to the prom but when he showed up Sophia slammed the door in his face and said he looked like a bum. Sophia never told her and Dorothy went on thinking he had stood her up.  John visits Miami and he and Dorothy go out to some sort of medieval restaurant. There is a minstrel walking around, singing the theme song from Gilligan's Island. Cracks me up every time!

• Love 3

I'm semi-watching the Girls as I do often and The Case of the Libertine Belle is on (the murder mystery episode). I looked up to see Alvarez, the officer who is going to arrest Blanche and I realize he's the dad from Ugly Betty (Tony Plana)! I don't know how I've never seen it before. He's been on tons of shows as "Hey! It's that guy" (like 24, Desperate Housewives, The Fosters, Madam Secretary, the Lethal Weapon TV series). I've seen this episode approximately 2000 times and Ugly Betty (where I knew him best) finished airing years ago yet I never made the connection until now.

• Love 1

How many times can 4 women in their 50s plus, who are law abiding and honest, get arrested and spend the night in jail. I'm watching the episode where Rose and Blanche are arrested for shoplifting because of the 2 girls who shoplifted. And it reminded me that they were arrested for prostitution (for just sitting in a hotel bar) and scalping tickets too. Are there others? Just remembered the arrest on the docks when dick van dyke is the lawyer/clown. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, MoistestCake said:

How many times can 4 women in their 50s plus, who are law abiding and honest, get arrested and spend the night in jail. I'm watching the episode where Rose and Blanche are arrested for shoplifting because of the 2 girls who shoplifted. And it reminded me that they were arrested for prostitution (for just sitting in a hotel bar) and scalping tickets too. Are there others? Just remembered the arrest on the docks when dick van dyke is the lawyer/clown. 

And yet they never got arrested for Sophia's get rich quick schemes, or Blanche pretending to sell a car to meet men,  etc. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

And yet they never got arrested for Sophia's get rich quick schemes, or Blanche pretending to sell a car to meet men,  etc. 

Or setting up precsilla the bride who eloped and the girls were the catering service, by framing her for theft. Not to mention wasting police time. And surely they signed a contract which would be enforced if the eloping couple refuse to pay. 

Edited by MoistestCake

The episode where Sophia and Blanche get conned is currently on and it's always bothered me. I get it's a TV show and not everything always makes sense but...why would either side need to put up their own money in the bank account along with the money in the wallet? Why not just put the money found in the wallet in the bank account and if it goes unclaimed split that plus any interest? I get that the idea was it was somehow adding trust for both sides since they didn't know one another but...nah. And $1000!? Oh hell no. Honestly, if someone came at me with a lost wallet and wanted to put it in a bank I'd (and I somehow didn't think I was being scammed) I would be like "Good luck, you're on your own" because I'm lazy and all that work doesn't sound remotely worth the money to me!

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, BookThief said:

The episode where Sophia and Blanche get conned is currently on and it's always bothered me. I get it's a TV show and not everything always makes sense but...why would either side need to put up their own money in the bank account along with the money in the wallet? Why not just put the money found in the wallet in the bank account and if it goes unclaimed split that plus any interest? I get that the idea was it was somehow adding trust for both sides since they didn't know one another but...nah. And $1000!? Oh hell no. Honestly, if someone came at me with a lost wallet and wanted to put it in a bank I'd (and I somehow didn't think I was being scammed) I would be like "Good luck, you're on your own" because I'm lazy and all that work doesn't sound remotely worth the money to me!

I never understood it either. They should have known it was a scam the minute the guy who actually claimed to have found the wallet offered to split it with them. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ria said:

I never understood it either. They should have known it was a scam the minute the guy who actually claimed to have found the wallet offered to split it with them. 

Yes! If I found a wallet, I'm not splitting it with strangers. Why would anyone?

Sophia has street smarts so it made no sense.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Yes! If I found a wallet, I'm not splitting it with strangers. Why would anyone?

That's what I've always wondered. It made no sense and Sophia with all her streets smarts should have figured it out immediately.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Senior citizens are still getting scammed with this type of scam. 

I ( have, found, won) a large sum of money ( check from anywhere, foreign bank account). I’ll split it with you if you will just deposit it for me.  I’ll need you to give me a small amount of operating cash up front since I wont have access for a while. Etc. my elderly  mother in law got caught up in one of these a few months ago. luckily the bank intervened before she was out any real money. 

• Love 1

When everyone is saying goodbye after that con setup, instead of “goodbye” the nun says “go with god,” and the audience laughs. I never got why they laugh, but it’s been my favorite way to say goodbye in a joking manner ever since.

And then we get the smoking nun (heh), which is never not hilarious. 

A smoking AND shopping nun. :)

One of my least favorite episodes is on right now. It's Christmas in Miami and the girls help out Father Lloyd Braun at a homeless shelter. Stan is down on his luck again and Katherine has kicked him out. I feel bad for the homeless people because the food looks Banquet frozen dinner level bad.

7 hours ago, link417 said:

When everyone is saying goodbye after that con setup, instead of “goodbye” the nun says “go with god,” and the audience laughs. I never got why they laugh, but it’s been my favorite way to say goodbye in a joking manner ever since.

And then we get the smoking nun (heh), which is never not hilarious. 

I’ve never understood why pronouncing a normally silent “p” was so funny either. And they used it twice. Sophia calling herself Sophia P-Hawkins when going to “rescue” her friend at a run down retirement home. And the funeral director Mr. Pfeiffer, “the P is not silent” followed by uproarious laughter. 

9 hours ago, Ria said:

I’ve never understood why pronouncing a normally silent “p” was so funny either. And they used it twice. Sophia calling herself Sophia P-Hawkins when going to “rescue” her friend at a run down retirement home. And the funeral director Mr. Pfeiffer, “the P is not silent” followed by uproarious laughter. 

For me, it was all worth it in the end to hear Sophia say, “Hey, P-feiffer, how’d you like a punch in your p-face?!”

• Love 13

In the episode If At Last You Don't Succeed, whose side are you on between Rose and Blanche?  Rose wants to have a yard sale.  Blanche is opposed to the idea and tells Rose that she will buy all of her stuff for $50. Rose agrees but tells Blanche a deal is a deal and she can't come complaining that she didn't get her money's worth because her stuff is "crapola in a box". Later, Blanche discovers $50,000 worth or war bonds and Rose believes herself to be entitled to the money.  Blanche disagrees.  They vote. Blanche votes that she can keep it, Dorothy and Rose vote to split the money, and Sophia votes to "give it to the old lady".  I was always on Blanche's side here.  Rose sold it all to her and was pretty snarky about how Blanche was getting a bum deal. She shouldn't get $25,000 in the end (not that anyone got any due to it bankrupting St. Olaf except for their emergency statue fund).

On 10/23/2018 at 9:53 PM, mmecorday said:

A smoking AND shopping nun. :)

One of my least favorite episodes is on right now. It's Christmas in Miami and the girls help out Father Lloyd Braun at a homeless shelter. Stan is down on his luck again and Katherine has kicked him out. I feel bad for the homeless people because the food looks Banquet frozen dinner level bad.

I hate that episode for two reasons.

1. It is another one of those episodes that takes itself too seriously and tries to teach us something rather than just making us laugh (see also Brother Can You Spare a Jacket and Fiddler on the Ropes).

2. It is one of the episodes where Rose is exceptionally stupid with her "why didn't Mary and Joseph call ahead for reservations?" crap.  That's right up there with "I'll call you, Rose, soon, and the phone will ring." I get that she is supposed to be an airhead, but there is just too dumb to function and she fulfiled that in both of those episodes.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

In the episode If At Last You Don't Succeed, whose side are you on between Rose and Blanche? 

If it were strictly a business transaction, I would be on Blanche’s side. But these were close friends and roommates who considered each other family. So the decent thing to do is to split the money. But it was idiotic of Blanche to tear them up. I would have tried to work out a payment plan with St Olaf where I collected a few thousand a year. Until I learned about the statue fund and then demanded it all. :)

• Love 10

In general I lean towards being on Blanche's side.  Rose should have at least gone through the boxes before she decided to have the yard sale (what if Fernando had made it in there?) and then made such a point about Blanche not complaining about what she was buying.  What if Blanche had just chucked the boxes in the dumpster without looking through them and Rose later realized the bonds were in there?  Would Rose have been mad at Blanche for throwing them away even though they were in the boxes she sold sight unseen?  Based on her reaction to them when Blanche found them I'm inclined to think yes.  If it had gone to court I think Blanche would have won since Rose would have admitted to not going through the boxes before selling them.  Now, all that said, I think that splitting them with Rose was the morally right thing to do and I think that Blanche privately thought so too otherwise she wouldn't have gone along with the house vote.  I know that I would feel compelled to split the money if I were in Blanche's shoes and I would hope that any of my friends would do the same if I were in Rose's.  I totally agree that Blanche should have called St. Olaf and asked to work out a payment schedule for her half of the bonds rather than rip them up. 

My question regarding the bond plot is how it all works in the first place.  When I first watched the episode I assume that Charlie would have put in the exactly amount the bonds were worth but then that doesn't make sense because if he had fifty grand in 1940s money, then he and Rose should never have worried about finances ever.  How does that work exactly?  Does he put down a small amount and then they accrue interest until they're worth what they say?  The logistics have always confused me.

On 10/24/2018 at 3:25 AM, Ria said:

I understand the P-Hawkins joke to be Sophia staring to say Sophia Petrillo and then realizing she doesn't want to use her real name.  A ridiculous Phawkins is, it is probably (?) more believable than Sophia accidentally 'forgetting' her own name.  

I like the Pfeiffer bit, myself. 

If Blanche wasn't opposed to the idea of the yard sale, Rose would have found her own bonds.  Given the friendship and that, the right thing to do would be to split it, although Blanche has the clear legal right to keep it.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

In the episode If At Last You Don't Succeed, whose side are you on between Rose and Blanche?

If that had happened with my best friend, I'd have never even considered keeping the bonds; I'd have given them back to her.  If she'd offered me half, I'd have felt a little weird about it, and said no, they're yours - you never intended to sell them and I never intended to get anything remotely like that out of my $50 box of junk - but if it seemed that it would make her feel awkward about the situation if I didn't take it, I'd take the half.  So I cannot relate to their argument at all, and don't really have a side.

• Love 4

Legally, morally, ethically . . . I’m all the way on Blanche’s side re: the bonds. Rose was the one that brought up the whole no-take-backs issue. If she were a good friend, she would have kept to her word and honored the deal with the terms she set and they both agreed to.

Rose is far and away my least favorite GG so I’m not likely to take her side on anything. Betty White said Rose isn’t dumb, just really, really naive and I’m like, no . . . she’s dumb.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, link417 said:

Legally, morally, ethically . . . I’m all the way on Blanche’s side re: the bonds. Rose was the one that brought up the whole no-take-backs issue. If she were a good friend, she would have kept to her word and honored the deal with the terms she set and they both agreed to.

Rose is far and away my least favorite GG so I’m not likely to take her side on anything. Betty White said Rose isn’t dumb, just really, really naive and I’m like, no . . . she’s dumb.

Legally I'm on Blanche's side, but to honor the friendship I would probably split it.

Agree with you on Rose, she's my least favorite as well. My favorite is Sophia - she seems to get a lot of hate here, but she just cracks me up!

• Love 3
On 10/26/2018 at 8:14 AM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

In the episode If At Last You Don't Succeed, whose side are you on between Rose and Blanche?  Rose wants to have a yard sale.  Blanche is opposed to the idea and tells Rose that she will buy all of her stuff for $50. Rose agrees but tells Blanche a deal is a deal and she can't come complaining that she didn't get her money's worth because her stuff is "crapola in a box". Later, Blanche discovers $50,000 worth or war bonds and Rose believes herself to be entitled to the money.  Blanche disagrees.  They vote. Blanche votes that she can keep it, Dorothy and Rose vote to split the money, and Sophia votes to "give it to the old lady".  I was always on Blanche's side here.  Rose sold it all to her and was pretty snarky about how Blanche was getting a bum deal. She shouldn't get $25,000 in the end (not that anyone got any due to it bankrupting St. Olaf except for their emergency statue fund).

I hate that episode for two reasons.

1. It is another one of those episodes that takes itself too seriously and tries to teach us something rather than just making us laugh (see also Brother Can You Spare a Jacket and Fiddler on the Ropes).

2. It is one of the episodes where Rose is exceptionally stupid with her "why didn't Mary and Joseph call ahead for reservations?" crap.  That's right up there with "I'll call you, Rose, soon, and the phone will ring." I get that she is supposed to be an airhead, but there is just too dumb to function and she fulfiled that in both of those episodes.

I’m sorry-it may be legal to keep the bonds. But it’s unethical, and a really really crappy way to treat someone you claim is one of your best friends.  Blanche certainly wouldn’t have been ok with Rose keeping it if the roles were reversed. Of course Blanche didn’t have a problem with giving away Rose’s Fernando.  The way these best friends treated each other - who needed enemies

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1