Type keyword(s) to search

Olympic Commercials: Because the Olympics Aren't Commercialized Enough

I've got a thing for Baraka-style commcericals where they do really interesting things to transition between the clips. Still love Nike's 'Move' from 2002:

And even though it's for the soccer World Cup and not the Olympics, I feel the need to give a shout out to Gatorade's 'Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo'

• Love 1

One of my favorites is this promo that Neil Diamond and Melissa Etheridge made in 2002 for the Salt Lake Games.  It's their remix of his "America," and it really rocks!

Fast forward to the 1:29 mark if you just want to see the video itself.

• Love 2

Not an Olympic commercial, but running incessantly during coverage:

That Carrie Underwood commercial where she just sings "Sunday niiiiight." I like the NFL but I hate how they treat Sunday football like it's some religious experience.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, selkie said:

I have a love-hate thing going on with the United commercial because it's a really well done ad for a really awful airline.

I always find myself smiling at it until I remember how much United sucks.

• Love 1

Could go here, not a commercial, but last night saw the cutest cut to commercial on NBC. The gold medalist, US Swimmer, Ryan Held, some lovely young ladies at a barrier asked him to take a picture with them, he leaned in, held their camera as far away as he could to get all of them in, held up his gold medal and grinned! Adorable, those young ladies will be fans forever!

• Love 1

I saw a Visa commercial on the gymnastics live stream earlier today featuring Ashton Eaton and his wife, Brianne Theisen-Eaton. I didn't have the sound on because I was on the phone, but it looked cute-- they were competing to finish various daily tasks first.

• Love 2

Yes.  I think moms are great, but I cringe a bit at the "Thanks Mom" commercials from P&G and the NBC short clips of people like Gabby Douglas saying "Thanks Mom".  What about dads?

I absolutely love the McDonald's commercial, where there is a split screen and the boy on the left who is clearly in the 1970s is passing over things to a little girl on the right who is in today.  The items change/upgrade/modernise as they go from left to right.  Then the boy moves over from the left and becomes the little girl's dad.   I can't help but watch this commercial and smile.  (Also love the Hamburglar visible in the 1970s McDonald's and the old school, Happy Meal box with the puzzles and games on it!)

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I absolutely love the McDonald's commercial, where there is a split screen and the boy on the left who is clearly in the 1970s is passing over things to a little girl on the right who is in today.  The items change/upgrade/modernise as they go from left to right.  Then the boy moves over from the left and becomes the little girl's dad.   I can't help but watch this commercial and smile.  (Also love the Hamburglar visible in the 1970s McDonald's and the old school, Happy Meal box with the puzzles and games on it!)

I just saw that last night and screeched, "I KNEW IT!!!" when the dad slid from the past to the present.  I was disproportionately proud of myself for figuring out the McDonald's commercial [::facepalm::], but it was really really cute.

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

Yes.  I think moms are great, but I cringe a bit at the "Thanks Mom" commercials from P&G and the NBC short clips of people like Gabby Douglas saying "Thanks Mom".  What about dads?

To be fair Gabby was raised by a single mom, so her spot makes sense.

I have been trying, without success, to find the name of the song in one of the USA Coke commercials. Not the one with various lines from different countries' national anthems, but the more traditional one showing athletes celebrating and drinking Coke while wrapped in the US flag. I can't even find a video of it online to post here.

• Love 1

Thank you IOC for NOT making Papa John's the Official Pizza of the Summer Games.

Instead of ordering out for PJP, I grab an old box, cut a circle out and put marinara, cheese and all the toppings then cook it myself, that way I save the tip I'd give to the driver.

Saw the unfortunate Minute Maid commercial for the first time, which features Missy Franklin crying through a speech while thanking her parents.  I know it was supposed to be touching, but I have to wonder when this was made, and why Minute Maid / Coca Cola would go ahead with using it after the trials when it was very evident she was no longer the It Girl.  Yes, she got a gold in the relay, but she was such a non-entity in her individual races. Dead last in her semifinal in the 200 free and 7 of 8 in her semifinal in the 200 back.   At least Lochte placed fifth in this final.  Less than expected but at least he made the final.

• Love 2

It's not really a commercial, but I love the video that CBC has put out about the Canadian women athletes. 

Also, this Sport Chek ad gives me chills every time I see it. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 2

I may just be cranky but the ad where Simone Biles gets a letter from her friend Kaitlyn that is signed, "Your future bridesmaid" or "Your future maid on honor."  It just  sounds so retro and reinforces this idea of weddings being a big huge milestone for women (when the data indicates that more women are opting not to get married). If a young male athlete read a letter from a friend signed "your future best man", it would just seem weird - because marriage isn't held out as a societal "accomplishment" for a man.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I may just be cranky but the ad where Simone Biles gets a letter from her friend Kaitlyn that is signed, "Your future bridesmaid" or "Your future maid on honor."  It just  sounds so retro and reinforces this idea of weddings being a big huge milestone for women (when the data indicates that more women are opting not to get married). If a young male athlete read a letter from a friend signed "your future best man", it would just seem weird - because marriage isn't held out as a societal "accomplishment" for a man.

I understand and agree but after spending three weeks with my 12 yo and 15 yo nieces I would say that kind of stuff is still very much part of young women's culture. I think they start to move on from that idealize princess life after college. Plus I think it is very common in very religious families which it has been implied the Biles are. 

• Love 1

I understand and agree but after spending three weeks with my 12 yo and 15 yo nieces I would say that kind of stuff is still very much part of young women's culture.

I wonder if it's cyclical...I wonder whether this ad would have been made in the 1970s in the height of the women's movement, and whether we've regressed.  I think one thing that would help is if ad agencies stopped trying to glorify marriage as a goal, rather as an option.  I'm a realist - that ad isn't going to have her friend sign the letter "your future business partner" - but why shouldn't it? That's an admirable goal too.

• Love 5
On August 9, 2016 at 2:51 PM, catray said:

I saw a Visa commercial on the gymnastics live stream earlier today featuring Ashton Eaton and his wife, Brianne Theisen-Eaton. 

This one's my favorite this season, and it's not even close.

I agree on the Thanks Mom ads -- because (although my mom's always been supportive) it's my dear dad who always stoked the fire of my ambition. So I would love to see a Thanks Dad ad as a bookend.

I have no issue with the maid of honor comment from Simone's friend.  Was it scripted, or an actual letter?  Eh, no matter.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  Maybe it was just a throwaway line to add a smile, not a defining cultural shift condemning women to the kitchen.

Edited by voiceover
freaking autocorrect!!
  • Love 2

In addition to Minute Maid, I've also noticed Missy Franklin in ads for United and Visa.  How unfortunate that they all bet on the wrong horse.

I'm confused as to how these athletes are already getting endorsement deals.  Like Simone Biles.  Do they get paid?  Does it vary from sport to sport?  Obviously some sports like basketball and tennis and golf and soccer have "pro" athletes.  But are the athletes in gymnastics and swimming professional or amateur?  Or does it not make a difference anymore?

34 minutes ago, blackwing said:

In addition to Minute Maid, I've also noticed Missy Franklin in ads for United and Visa.  How unfortunate that they all bet on the wrong horse.

I'm confused as to how these athletes are already getting endorsement deals.  Like Simone Biles.  Do they get paid?  Does it vary from sport to sport?  Obviously some sports like basketball and tennis and golf and soccer have "pro" athletes.  But are the athletes in gymnastics and swimming professional or amateur?  Or does it not make a difference anymore?

Yes they get paid. The only issue for most athletes turning pro is they can't compete in the NCAA. It's why Katie Ledecky won't have endorsements because she is going to compete at Stanford and Phelps can compete  and make millions. For female gymnasts that's not even an issue because most don't want to compete in college because of the schedule versus lack of competition.

8 hours ago, voiceover said:

I have no issue with the maid of honor comment from Simone's friend.  Was it scripted, or an actual letter?  Eh, no matter.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  Maybe it was just a throwaway line to add a smile, not a defining cultural shift condemning women to the kitchen.

Agreed. 

3 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Anyone else like the Marco Polo ad?  I think it's adorable.

Yes, it makes me smile every time. Silly, but effective. Extra points for the llama (camel? alpaca?) peeking over the side of the pool.

• Love 3

Yes they get paid. The only issue for most athletes turning pro is they can't compete in the NCAA. It's why Katie Ledecky won't have endorsements because she is going to compete at Stanford and Phelps can compete  and make millions. For female gymnasts that's not even an issue because most don't want to compete in college because of the schedule versus lack of competition.

Missy Franklin did the same thing and I can help but think she screwed herself out of some major money and now she just is not as good.  I always think back to something my friends dad, a college baseball coach, said to a friend who has drafted high.  "It's better take the money while its there because you never if you are going to get hurt or if you already peaked." I hope this does not happen to Ledecky

• Love 3
On 8/9/2016 at 5:51 PM, catray said:

I saw a Visa commercial on the gymnastics live stream earlier today featuring Ashton Eaton and his wife, Brianne Theisen-Eaton. I didn't have the sound on because I was on the phone, but it looked cute-- they were competing to finish various daily tasks first.

Considering the flack Ashton got for wearing Canada gear to support Brianne, he's probably the only American I will actively root for in the second week of the Games.  Talk about a ridiculously cute couple.  I've been liking a lot of the Visa ads this year.  I'm surprised at the lack of Coke and McDonalds ones though. 

The #stepupstandtall ad for Canadian Tire is really well done. 

I'm really tired of the Nationwide commercial that's been playing incessantly during Olympic coverage.  

I can't explain why her sunny optimism just annoys me.  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Love 3