Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Monster

• Start Topic

Dustin is becoming the sleeper candidate for best character on the show.  In general, I appreciate how the kids playing D&D is treated respectably by the narrative, and they're basically normal kids, not stereotypical huge nerds.

Elle shoplifting the Eggos was funny (I guess that's the movie's equivalent to E.T.'s Reese's Pieces), and while her return at the end was telegraphed, seeing her again dispatch the bullies was fun (those guys really went full Cobra Kai in terms of villainy, though I enjoyed one of them telling the other that trying to make Mike jump off a cliff was maybe not a good idea).

• Like 1
  • Love 23
2 hours ago, SeanC said:

seeing her again dispatch the bullies was fun (those guys really went full Cobra Kai in terms of villainy, though I enjoyed one of them telling the other that trying to make Mike jump off a cliff was maybe not a good idea).

Thank you for that description as "Cobra Kai Villainy"!  Will definitely have to integrate that term into my vocab.  I chuckled that the one kid thought forcing Mike to jump was a bad idea, but not the fact that his friend pulled a pretty hefty switchblade on a classmate.  Damn delinquents!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I call that character type the Stephen King bully myself, given that he clearly had some bad experiences with them in his childhood so that every time they turn up in his work they're cartoonishly evil serial killers in training. That's one of the '80s tropes I was hoping the show wouldn't tap into so much, though if you're going to go there you can at least give the message most shows don't have the guts for, that sometimes violence is the only thing that will drive them off. So kudos for that.

• Love 6

I wonder what the bullies are telling their parents? like "a girl broke my arm with her mind" LOL

So again they forgot about Barb, where is she? did the monster just ate her? at least Will still running around someplace..

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/17/2016 at 4:04 PM, Eegah said:

I call that character type the Stephen King bully

Same here! There are no bullies in Stephen King/80s movies that are just asshole kids, oh no, they all have to be Snidely Whiplash villains crossed with a Hannibal bad guy. Things just escalate so quickly with these kids! They go from stealing quarters to attempted murder in seconds. 

I am glad we are getting some more backstory for 11. I did kind of laugh at the flashes to 11 when they described the powers the comatose ladies daughter had. Yeah, show, we get it. Its her. We are following you. 

I hope Barb is ok. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:46 AM, SeanC said:

Dustin is becoming the sleeper candidate for best character on the show.  In general, I appreciate how the kids playing D&D is treated respectably by the narrative, and they're basically normal kids, not stereotypical huge nerds.

Elle shoplifting the Eggos was funny (I guess that's the movie's equivalent to E.T.'s Reese's Pieces), and while her return at the end was telegraphed, seeing her again dispatch the bullies was fun (those guys really went full Cobra Kai in terms of villainy, though I enjoyed one of them telling the other that trying to make Mike jump off a cliff was maybe not a good idea).

Agreed about Dustin.  Freaks and Geeks also treated the kids playing D&D respectably.  I believe that was a favorite game of the creator Paul Feig.

LOL at Cobra Kai villainy.  I think my reaction was "Jesus!" when I saw that one of the bullies had a knife.  Making him jump off the quarry was ridiculous but I will say the location they were filming at was amazing.

Speaking of bully beatdowns, Jonathan might be creepy but him beating up Nancy's asshole boyfriend was satisfying. 

Edited by benteen
  • Like 1
  • Love 13
On 7/17/2016 at 4:04 PM, Eegah said:

I call that character type the Stephen King bully myself, given that he clearly had some bad experiences with them in his childhood so that every time they turn up in his work they're cartoonishly evil serial killers in training. That's one of the '80s tropes I was hoping the show wouldn't tap into so much, though if you're going to go there you can at least give the message most shows don't have the guts for, that sometimes violence is the only thing that will drive them off. So kudos for that.

I thought of Stephen King, too. This reminded me of "It" with the bullies following the kids to the sewers. 

I was distracted, as I tried to watch this, so I'll have to watch it again. 

• Love 1
On 7/20/2016 at 8:46 AM, benteen said:

Agreed about Dustin.  Freaks and Geeks also treated the kids playing D&D respectably.  I believe that was a favorite game of the creator Paul Feig.

LOL at Cobra Kai villainy.  I think my reaction was "Jesus!" when I saw that one of the bullies had a knife.  Making him jump off the quarry was ridiculous but I will say the location they were filming at was amazing.

Speaking of bully beatdowns, Jonathan might be creepy but him beating up Joyce's asshole boyfriend was satisfying. 

It was Nancy's asshole boyfriend, and yes, it was good.

• Love 1
On 7/20/2016 at 8:46 AM, benteen said:

Tripley(?) agreeing. My high school boyfriend and his friends played D&D and they were just regular, quite hilarious guys. No high-waisted pants and taped glasses nor devil worshipping.

• Love 1
On 7/20/2016 at 10:25 PM, Dave in Chicago said:

They really need a second symptom for Eleven other than those small nosebleeds that don't slow her down at all. They're so frequent it could be the basis for the world's grossest drinking game.

I am thinking that the small nosebleeds are just foreshadowing for some big showdown where Eleven has to use her powers so intensely that something much, much worse than a nosebleed happens to her.  (I have only watched thru this episode, just guessing).

• Love 2

I agree with everything except Steve: I was warming to him, but the graffiti? Dude, even if she *was* fucking Jonathan, that wouldn't be okay. I'm not surprised Nancy didn't call him on that, because she's sixteen in 1983 and, y'know, not the most evolved time re: third wave feminism. But I'm glad Jonathan beat him up, and I hope the monster eats him and his stupid friends. 

• Love 4

The perfect '80s continued inattention of adults is perfect in this one with the cashier just happily accepting "monster hunting" as a valid answer to why two teenagers would be buying a bear trap, gas can, ammo, and lighter fluid.

We've also entered full on Firestarter territory with the story of Terry and how our bad guys acquired Eleven.  The clues have been there for awhile but it didn't make it any less awful to realize this poor child had never had any other kind of childhood before she met Mike and the boys.  I loved her shoplifting the Eggos but wondered too how she even knew to go into a grocery store to look for them.

The bullies were right out of Stephen King casting, so they're pretty much spot on for any '80s movie homage.  

The fight between Steven and Jonathon was terrible but understandable given Steve's taunting and the strain Jonathon's already been under.  Sure, Steve later became a little less awful by degree but he's still hanging out the cliche awful best friends that existed in most of these movies.  Sadly for the time, I found Nancy's reaction to realizing she was being publicly branded a whore pretty accurate, to be humiliated that anyone would think that rather than be angry at the accuser.

• Love 2
On 8/7/2016 at 10:51 AM, nodorothyparker said:

The perfect '80s continued inattention of adults is perfect in this one with the cashier just happily accepting "monster hunting" as a valid answer to why two teenagers would be buying a bear trap, gas can, ammo, and lighter fluid.

Also, it's a stylistic nod to Spielberg. Seems like something from one of his movies, or others that were influenced by the likes of ET, etc. 

• Love 1

I thought Steve might be okay, after the first episode. Where he cooled his jets and actually helped Nancy revise, it seemed like they were going for him being a decent guy. But the graffiti was just revolting. And he didn't even have the balls to do it himself, he just had his even bigger tool of a friend do it, while he watched. He deserved every punch that Jonathan gave him. Although, the one I really hope the monster eats is bigger tool friend's girlfriend. She's just awful.

Speaking girlfriends, I hated the anvil of the police admin assistant (or whatever she was) telling Nancy that Jonathan must love her to have acted the way he did. I thought it was obvious that he lost it after Steve mocked Will's death, and all the anger and grief came bubbling out. I never thought it was about Nancy.

The cashier just shrugging off all the stuff that Jonathan and Nancy were buying was hilarious. 'Eh, kids. They can't get into that much trouble, right? Sure, take the bullets, it's fine.'

The bullies showing up in the woods felt too much of a coincidence, as did them running to the same place that Will was suspected to have fallen from. But whatever, it was a good location for Eleven to showcase her powers again. Loved the nonchalant twist of her head to break piss pants bully's arm. The actress playing her is knocking this out of the park. She does vulnerable and badass equally well.

• Love 12
On 8/18/2016 at 3:06 PM, Danny Franks said:

Speaking girlfriends, I hated the anvil of the police admin assistant (or whatever she was) telling Nancy that Jonathan must love her to have acted the way he did. I thought it was obvious that he lost it after Steve mocked Will's death, and all the anger and grief came bubbling out. I never thought it was about Nancy.

I thought the exact same thing!  When Flo (the admin) made that comment, I was so confused because Nancy didn't correct her assumption.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, netlyon2 said:

I thought the exact same thing!  When Flo (the admin) made that comment, I was so confused because Nancy didn't correct her assumption.  

Jonathan wouldn't have confronted them in the first place if he wasn't defending Nancy to begin with. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 18/08/2016 at 3:06 PM, Danny Franks said:

The bullies showing up in the woods felt too much of a coincidence, as did them running to the same place that Will was suspected to have fallen from. But whatever, it was a good location for Eleven to showcase her powers again. Loved the nonchalant twist of her head to break piss pants bully's arm. The actress playing her is knocking this out of the park. She does vulnerable and badass equally well.

The badass looks she gives anytime she has to fuck someone up with her powers to defend her friends have been awesome. Really great casting. Also really love that she has latchec on to these kids and really see them as her friends. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Damn, that escalated quick!  I get being forced to piss your pants by telekinesis sucks very much, but to do full-blown "Bust out the switchblade and threaten to cut someone, unless the other jumps off a quarry?!" Man, those aren't mere bullies: that's some psychopaths in the making right there.  Not surprised, but still loved it when Elle showed up in the nick of time and even broke switchblade guy's arm.  He won't be holding that knife for a long time, I don't think.

Speaking of bullies Steve ended up being the worst.  Even if Nancy was actually sleeping with Jonathan, to have his buddies embarrass her like that is low.  And then start shit-talking Jonathan's family and suddenly get shocked when he gets his ass handed to him.  You are the worst, Steve! Even Jean-Ralpheo is more mature then you!  So hope he gets his.  And his obnoxious friends too.  Come on, creature!  Get on it!

While I do think Nancy/Jonathan are happening, I definitely thought it was Will that caused Jonathan to snap, so I didn't get the ladies whole "He got into a stupid fight for you!" speech to Nancy.  Sure, he went to defend her, but he was keeping his cool for a while, until Will got brought and then all bets were off.  Whatever, lady.

The Hopper/Joyce team-up is interesting, and it's equally interesting that they likely stumbled on where Elle came from.  They make an effective pairing.  Although, I'm guessing they're going to get sidetrack and have to go get Jonathan from lock-up, and hopefully this will lead to the four realizing they should put their heads together.  If nothing else, Hopper might be better equipped to handle all that ammunition!

The Creature really is freaking me out, and I rarely get disturbed by horror creatures.  Felt bad for Elle being forced to make "contact."  Dr. Matthew Modine is a dick!

Looks like the Hawkins are onto them!  I guess Lucas being separated from the group will end up actually helping them.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Damn, that escalated quick!  I get being forced to piss your pants by telekinesis sucks very much, but to do full-blown "Bust out the switchblade and threaten to cut someone, unless the other jumps off a quarry?!" Man, those aren't mere bullies: that's some psychopaths in the making right there.  

I know, especially since even the jerkwad bullies had to realize jumping from that height meant death, or at the very least paralyzed for life.

Speaking of bullies Steve ended up being the worst. ..... So hope he gets his.  And his obnoxious friends too.  Come on, creature!  Get on it!

Heh, I remember mentioning to hubby they had plenty of options when Nancy & Jonathon were discussing monster bait, and Steve and his friends were at the top of the list.

• Love 1

I know, especially since even the jerkwad bullies had to realize jumping from that height meant death, or at the very least paralyzed for life.

In the bullies defense in an earlier episode (episode 2?) one of the deputies thought that you could survive the jump because someone was going around town lying about the time he did it. So, it is possible that the bully thought Mike would just be scared and wet.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

In the bullies defense in an earlier episode (episode 2?) one of the deputies thought that you could survive the jump because someone was going around town lying about the time he did it. So, it is possible that the bully thought Mike would just be scared and wet.

Good point, I had forgotten about that brief exchange.

• Love 2

I guess I'm coming at this late.  

I don't see much originality at work here.   It's a crazy quilt of pastiche and homage cobbled together from various Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg projects (and John Carpenter films, re: the incidental music).   All that's missing is a mechanical shark. 

It's like one of those house-flipping shows, except the flippers are film-makers and they're just renovating older stories done better by those who first dreamed them up.   I wonder, if King or Spielberg hadn't built the framework first, would the Duffer Brothers have any story to tell at all?

• Love 6
On 12/23/2016 at 2:31 AM, millennium said:

I guess I'm coming at this late.  

I don't see much originality at work here.   It's a crazy quilt of pastiche and homage cobbled together from various Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg projects (and John Carpenter films, re: the incidental music).   All that's missing is a mechanical shark. 

It's like one of those house-flipping shows, except the flippers are film-makers and they're just renovating older stories done better by those who first dreamed them up.   I wonder, if King or Spielberg hadn't built the framework first, would the Duffer Brothers have any story to tell at all?

I loved this show more than any other I saw last year. Probably one of my top 5 shows of all time. But I have to agree. There is not one original thought to be had in the making of the show; it's derivative as all hell. It's skated by on nostalgia, and damn talented child actors, IMO. Having said that, both of those things are enough for most viewers. Hell, I was born in 1988, did not grow up in the decade, and I STILL got suckered in with the nostalgia factor. And stayed for the great performances. Even Winona Ryder's performance grew on me after multiple viewings.

I guess if you're going to do a pastiche, you could do worse than borrowing from Stephen King, lol.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

How did 11's mom know about her powers if she was taken away right at birth?

I didn't understand that either. And part of the problem with binge watching these things is you lose focus. I missed how El's mom came to the attention of Hopper and Joyce in the first place - how did they find out about her? I thought they were under the impression her child had disappeared in a similar manner to Will which is why they went to question her, but then it turned out her kid was taken at birth, so how did they know about her? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't understand that either. And part of the problem with binge watching these things is you lose focus. I missed how El's mom came to the attention of Hopper and Joyce in the first place - how did they find out about her? I thought they were under the impression her child had disappeared in a similar manner to Will which is why they went to question her, but then it turned out her kid was taken at birth, so how did they know about her? 

They were under the impression that her kid was taken like Will was, however it turns out she was taken before natural birth. As for the powers, I'm not sure unless it was like Charmed where the kid showed powers before being born.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

But how did they find out about her? Did Hopper have a missing persons report in his files somewhere or did they stumble across a newspaper article about her?

If I remember correctly, among the stories about Hawkins National Laboratory that Hopper and company track down at the library was one in which Terry Ives attempted to sue the lab, charging that they'd kidnapped her daughter. That's what points Hopper in her direction.

As for how she knew about Jane's powers, her sister says specifically that Terry claimed her daughter was "born with abilities" and "that's why the big, bad Man stole Jane away." So it seems like Eleven started manifesting her powers pretty quickly. And in any event, if the lab didn't steal her until after it became clear that she had superpowers, Terry would obviously be in a position to know about those powers, right?

• Love 2

A+ for Corey Hart!

Ha, loved when Dustin said that it was everyone's fault because they were all being assholes. But damn it, Dustin, why would you drop your bike and run from those bullies instead of staying on your bike so you could get away faster?

The police secretary can STFU for blaming Nancy for Jonathan getting into a fight with Steve. Jonathan was going to walk away until Steve started calling Joyce crazy and saying that he wasn't surprised that Will died. I guess the good thing is that now Nancy finally knows that Steve is a total douche. As someone wise once said, look at the way he treats other people because one day that's the way he'll treat you too.

Ugh, those fucking bullies. Troy seriously thought that making Mike jump into the quarry which was basically forcing him to commit suicide was in any way equivalent to pissing himself? Those little psychopaths are lucky that El didn't hut them worse than she did.

I love that Lucas put on his camouflage headband to go out searching for Will. I have to hand it to these kids for being prepared. Between the snacks and the binoculars, they're a lot more prepared than I would have been at that age.

El's flashbacks were already giving me Firestarter vibes from the beginning but now the show is just straight up stealing that entire premise?

Despite that, I enjoyed the Hopper/Joyce team. On a shallow note, it's nice to see Winona do something besides scream hysterically (which is an understandable thing for the character to do given the circumstances, it still wore on me as the episodes continued).

• Love 3

I told hubby when we first saw that article abt the stolen girl, that it was Eleven.  The placement made it too obvious.  Didn’t dwell overly long it, but made sure the camera caught the headline.

What the hell are all these parents doing?  Jonathan spends the night in Nancy’s room, El basically lived in the basement for a week, Steve and his bulky cronies are out destroying property and reputations, Joyce doesn’t know where Jonathan is, Nancy sneaks out the window, black kid’s parents don’t see him constantly taking off (w/food stuff), ‘Father’ uses Eleven for career gain, we already know how bad Will’s father is,Barb’s parents don’t seem to care their daughter is missing.

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

What the hell are all these parents doing?  Jonathan spends the night in Nancy’s room, El basically lived in the basement for a week, Steve and his bulky cronies are out destroying property and reputations, Joyce doesn’t know where Jonathan is, Nancy sneaks out the window, black kid’s parents don’t see him constantly taking off (w/food stuff), ‘Father’ uses Eleven for career gain, we already know how bad Will’s father is,Barb’s parents don’t seem to care their daughter is missing.

It was the Eighties, mon.  😆

• Like 2