Type keyword(s) to search

Diving: Platform Ready

Bumping up to celebrate the silver medal of Steele and David Boudia in Synchro Platform.  So now we can call him Silver Steele Johnson.  In case we needed more reasons to keep on living. ;-)

Per usual the Chinese won and it wasn't even close.

• Love 5

Call me a hater, but I'm so over China sweeping the diving competitions...on another note: Yay for Boudia and Johnson for taking the silver!!!! I'm also thrilled for Tom Daley and his partner!!!!

• Love 7

Can someone explain to me what the announcer means when she says "they downgraded their list four years ago so now they have to do this dive"?

Also, why are there six scores on the Execution part (with four eliminated) but only five scores on the Synchronization part (with high and low crossed out)?  Where did Judge No. 6 go?

(As an Olympics Obsessive, I invested several hours in Gold Medal Families, but I think Steele Johnson is the only athlete featured on that show who made it to Rio.  Except Johnson wasn't sync partners with Boudia in that, so now I'm somewhat confused.)

2 hours ago, candall said:

(As an Olympics Obsessive, I invested several hours in Gold Medal Families, but I think Steele Johnson is the only athlete featured on that show who made it to Rio.  Except Johnson wasn't sync partners with Boudia in that, so now I'm somewhat confused.)

Aly Raisman made the women's gymnastics team, too.  And yes, Steele was diving with Boudia. It's a little confusing, because the other diver featured on the show, Jordan something-or-other, was also diving with a guy named David.

• Love 1

Yay for Boudia and Johnson for taking the silver!!!! I'm also thrilled for Tom Daley and his partner!!!!

I loved the enthusiasm that Boudia/Johnson and Daley/Goodfellow had for winning silver and bronze. I always like to see when athletes are happy with winning a medal of any color.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I loved the enthusiasm that Boudia/Johnson and Daley/Goodfellow had for winning silver and bronze. I always like to see when athletes are happy with winning a medal of any color.

Though to be fair to other athletes who are disappointed they knew they had nearly no chance at winning gold so their expectations are different.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Though to be fair to other athletes who are disappointed they knew they had nearly no chance at winning gold so their expectations are different.

I agree that they knew they had no chance of getting a gold, but I just enjoy athletes celebrating getting a silver or a bronze.

• Love 1
On 8/6/2016 at 7:40 AM, atomationage said:

Apparently, Steele Johnson is a rabid fan of Jesus.  

As an American and a Boilermaker, I was feeling slightly bad that I was rooting for the totally adorable GB guys over Johnson/Boudia. Then Johnson name-checked God like 3 times in a minute interview so now I figure I'm off the hook. He's got enough higher power on his side that he really doesn't need me rooting for him. ;)

Seriously, Steele Johnson. How did his dad survive boyhood with the last name Johnson and retain that much naivete? That's a feat even in bible belt Indiana, geez.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Aly Raisman made the women's gymnastics team, too.  And yes, Steele was diving with Boudia. It's a little confusing, because the other diver featured on the show, Jordan something-or-other, was also diving with a guy named David.

Oh yeah, thank you--of course, Aly Raisman!  Ha, I didn't even pay much attention to her, or Steele--who both turned out to be Olympic rock stars.  I was mainly following the rhythmic gymnast who wanted so desperately to help her overworked single mom and Jordan's story about Cambodia and his two dads.  (To a somewhat a lesser extent, the boxer.)

That's me--I'll give my heart to an underdog any day of the week.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, candall said:

Can someone explain to me what the announcer means when she says "they downgraded their list four years ago so now they have to do this dive"?

Also, why are there six scores on the Execution part (with four eliminated) but only five scores on the Synchronization part (with high and low crossed out)?  Where did Judge No. 6 go?

You can't repeat dives classified to be in the same "group" (ie. inward/back/twist/armstand - although that's just singles). HTH

40 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

You can't repeat dives classified to be in the same "group" (ie. inward/back/twist/armstand - although that's just singles). HTH

Thank you, that makes sense.  I guess I must've misheard the "four years ago" part.  But what does "downgrading your list" mean?

1 hour ago, candall said:

Thank you, that makes sense.  I guess I must've misheard the "four years ago" part.  But what does "downgrading your list" mean?

I believe it means they went for a lower difficulty for their dives.

• Love 1

So apparently a bunch of British newspapers cropped Goodfellow out of the photos they printed of him and Tom Daley winning their bronze medal. Sad, but sadly in keeping with the press obsession with Daley. And with is own apparent arrogance in openly saying he didn't even think he was going to bother entering the synchro competition, which really would have sucked for Goodfellow, who would have had to miss out on the Olympics.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, sereion said:

Call me a hater, but I'm so over China sweeping the diving competitions...on another note: Yay for Boudia and Johnson for taking the silver!!!! I'm also thrilled for Tom Daley and his partner!!!!

I think the Chinese divers are over-scored based on their reputations.  Some of their synchronization wasn't very synchronized; not at a 9.5 or 10 level anyway.  (Hey, it's not just a figure skating problem anymore.)

• Love 6

Has NBC aired any of the women's synchro platform?  I missed the first half hour of coverage tonight.  I'm assuming America choked.   Guess I'll have to tape the overnight if I want to see China, Canada and Paola Espinosa.

What's so funny about the green pool situation to me is that some 60 year old guy named Frank from New Jersey with a pool cleaning business probably knew the few possible causes within seconds of seeing it on TV, and the solutions for each, whereas the experts the Rio Olympic committee hired have no clue. It happening with the eyes of the world on them is bad enough. But they just kept compounding the mistake by a.) not knowing why it happened b.) going slow on fixing it c.) saying it was one thing finally d.) didn't take proper preventative actions on the OTHER pool.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Kromm said:

The jokes are coming fast and hard now for #greenpool

even from evil corporations...

Clorox rushed this by the way--you know because it's just a bottle of normal Clorox sitting there.  When in fact, they actually should have shown this:

dOKHbCL.jpg

• Love 2

As someone who used to live in AZ briefly in a house with a pool, maintenance is key especially in the summer months.  You could not let chlorine levels slip and we were constantly brushing it.  One little speck of algae can spread more than you expect in a day.  Even more so the hotter it is.

There are emergency treatments like pool shock and algaecide but normally one can't swim for at least 24 hours after treatment.  And with one event a day, I'm guessing they haven't shocked because of that.  I don't why they can't push events back a day to solve this problem but I don't run the show.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, kittykat said:

As someone who used to live in AZ briefly in a house with a pool, maintenance is key especially in the summer months.  You could not let chlorine levels slip and we were constantly brushing it.  One little speck of algae can spread more than you expect in a day.  Even more so the hotter it is.

There are emergency treatments like pool shock and algaecide but normally one can't swim for at least 24 hours after treatment.  And with one event a day, I'm guessing they haven't shocked because of that.  I don't why they can't push events back a day to solve this problem but I don't run the show.

Just reading up on this (and watching the same stupid YouTube videos on it I imagine even some Olympic official could find if they looked), the real recommendation is "drain the pool and replace the water".  

The reason they likely haven't done that is because I'd bet they have no way to do it. No pumps fast enough.  No accessible guaranteed clean water supply plentiful and near enough.

The second is shocking the water with massive amounts of chlorine in combination with algeaicide.  But that apparently a.) makes the water cloudy for at least a day b.) of course makes it too heavily chlorinated to swim in for quite a while.  Because you know... the solution to algae is not to blind people instead.

Letting it spread to the other pool is the biggest embarrassment in this mountain of embarrassments. Forget some old pool cleaning guy in New Jersey. Rio has rich people with mansions, ergo they have private pools. The institutional knowledge on how to do simple pH tests and adjust your chemicals has to exist there. Admittedly this is a much bigger pool with conditions that are pretty unique. But I'd bet cash money that what probably DIDN'T happen after Green Pool Phase 1 struck was someone aggressively monitoring the other pool. I mean all that was needed to spread the algae was someone walking five feet from one pool to the other and sticking a toe in that had been in the other pool. Or you know.... water splashing into it. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Kromm said:

The second is shocking the water with massive amounts of chlorine in combination with algeaicide.  But that apparently a.) makes the water cloudy for at least a day b.) of course makes it too heavily chlorinated to swim in for quite a while.  Because you know... the solution to algae is not to blind people instead.

You have to wait at least a full day, probably more with that big of a pool.  In that case they delay events for a day or two.  Most aquatics are in the first week so if a few had to be pushed back to week two for pool maintenance it's what should be done.  The green water is just wrong.

Edited by kittykat

Between the TWO pools, I wonder how many more events they have left?

I imagine the non-diving pool is the bigger problem. It's water polo in that pool right?  So a whole series of matches in a tournament.

Here is what the idiots finally admitted.  If you thought they sounded like fools before...

FINA said the reason for the discoloration, which was so severe that pairs divers could not the partner next to them when they submerged, was because the pool’s water tanks “ran out some of the chemicals” necessary for the water treatment process. 

• Love 2

There are no diving events tomorrow, so they could possibly do something right now about it.

Just finished watching the stream of the men's synchro 3m springboard.  Fantastic performances by Great Britain and the U.S.  I feel a bit bad for China, but they just didn't hit it in their final dive.  

In round 6, just as Mexico was starting their dive, an overhead light turned on.  The Mexicans dove and immediately complained about the light.    Mexico actually was granted a re-dive, and then just as they were about to dive again, their scores got announced and they were asked to come down, so apparently their dive stood.  The U.S. was diving next and then were standing on the platform, getting cold, while the Mexicans complained to this official and that.  Then their stern looking coach in the baseball hat started to get involved.   The Americans nailed their dive.  The kicker is that no matter how the Mexicans scored, the score would not have affected the medal standings at all, so it's a bit odd that they complained so strenuously.

I'm glad the U.S. divers nailed their dive, because otherwise we could have gotten strains of "if onlys" for years to come.  Remember when Tonya Harding infamously stopped skating in 1994 and was crying about her broken skate lace?  The next skater was Canadian Josee Chouinard, who had to deal with the spectacle and the delay, and just biffed her own performance.  Skating commentators mentioned for years about "what might have been for Josee Chouinard if she hadn't followed Tonya's skate lace issue".  Could have been the same here.

The U.S. diver Mike Hixon looks to me a lot like the actor Mike Vogel, who was in Under the Dome.

3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

There are no diving events tomorrow, so they could possibly do something right now about it.

Indeed.

I know this is the diving thread, but I think that their dumbassery in letting it spread to the Polo pool is far more serious.  Polo has a whole tournament of matches and they stay in the water for hours at a time. A problem while either soaked in algae and the accompanying bacteria that leapfrog into a pool with algae, or a problem in a pool that's got triple the normal amount of chlorine in it.

I maintained a large backyard pool in sunny SoCal for years and never had green water.   Even when a pair of wild ducks decided to make it their honeymoon hotel and I fired the pool boy & quit using chemicals or vacuuming it took almost a year to get yucky. (Those damned ducks came back every year for the next 8 years, and I drained the pool down to a sweet honeymoon duck pond!  It's now a raccoon swamp.).

• Love 2

Are they out-out because if they are what in the actual fuck because the water polo finals are on the last Saturday of the Games. How do you not have enough chemicals to take care of a pool that's going to be used for 2 weeks?!?

• Love 2