Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Ambush

Quinn interferes with Rachel and Coleman's new relationship; Darius decides to take a break from the show with Romeo; and Rachel makes a decision with dangerous consequences. Meanwhile, an unexpected visitor stops by the set.

(edited)

If I wanted to see a police shooting I would turn on the news. TV shows are supposed to be an escape for me. Loved romeo. So sad.This episode could have turned out the same with or without Adam. The chemistry is still there.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 10

Man, the first half of this episode was like candyland compared to the second half. As much as Jay has bugged me this season I was on his side when he lashed out at Rachel. He was right. This wasn't her story to tell. Didn't like the implication that she should kill herself even if that's not what he meant, you could easily see her reaching that point. Coleman and Rachel were complete asses for calling the cops. This is all on them. Fuck Coleman's speech to Quinn at the end about how important the story he was telling with that footage was. It's reality dating show. He and Rachel need to stop trying to turn it into something else.

The beginning part with Adam returning. Wow, did I miss him. The chemistry between Rachel and Adam is still off the charts. Coleman doesn't even compare.

I started to wonder if maybe Coleman wasn't the one doing an expose on the show and I started to suspect Hot Rachel and then ta-da, end of the episode she's recording her conversation with Jeremy. Yeah. she's a reporter going undercover.

Poor Romeo. Poor Darius.

• Love 14
(edited)

The UnREAL Twitter page is very active during each episode. After the shooting happened they stopped tweeting. If your going to show it then you have to talk about it. 

Good call on the undercover reporter.

As messed up as Rachel is she's a main charactor so I suspect by the end of the season everything will be back to normal.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2
(edited)

^ ITA. This show is all about shock value. At least last seasons rip straight from the headlines news story was Faith coming out. That was beautiful. 

Where was Chet this week?

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 6

I don't understand the show now....Romeo is shot, and Darius had his back twisted dangerously, and we are supposed to be concerned about Rachel...who initiated the whole mess? Even if the Unreal was trying to show the lengths to which producers might go...by shifting the focus entirely on Rachel, and her sorry self, and ignoring the well being of Darius and Romeo...is this a story about sad, misunderstood TV producers? Really?? I am seriously confused and disappointed by the show.

• Love 23
4 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

And here I thought this show would actually treat race better than others on TV. Nope. You do not get to shoot a black man and then frame it about how it affected the white people. Nope nope nope. Pretty sure I'm out of here after that one.

I sat through the rest of the episode after the shooting just stunned and sickened. I just don't care what happens next. They killed this show for me tonite. 

• Love 12
41 minutes ago, In2You said:

That police shooting was too much especially with the constant police shootings in the news all the time and especially over the past couple of weeks.

Yeah the writer probably planned this though before most of that happened. I do think they should show more of the black characters not just Jay. I am hoping we get more next episode. Like when Mary died last year. We got a whole episode of everyone dealing with the aftermath. I just hope its not a mess. 

• Love 4

well I'm Still in - how could Rachael do this - she is nuts and going off the rails every day, you can see it in her male relationships all the time - but to hand her over to her mother again,that is uncalled for.  

This year is hard to watch,but I admit having a laugh at the ashes in the mouth, 

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

Yeah the writer probably planned this though before most of that happened. I do think they should show more of the black characters not just Jay. I am hoping we get more next episode. Like when Mary died last year. We got a whole episode of everyone dealing with the aftermath. I just hope its not a mess. 

Most of that happened long before this show was planned. Black people have been getting unfairly shot by the cops for years and they got the idea for this storyline after major incidents happen. This was just heartless and careless writing. They made the shooting of an unarmed black person all about white people's tears.  It's bad enough we're supposed to feel bad for Rachel the psycho.  But Adam shouldn't even have been a factor in this yet we're supposed to feel sorry for him over Rachel's rejection. 

• Love 23

This episode was awful, and everyone was such an idiot. I'm over Quinn's crassness and inability to stop "producing" the people who work for her. I'm sick of Rachel's constant self sabotaging. Coleman was a moron to go along with her idiotic plan, but of course he did, because he tries to hide his venality behind a self righteous facade just like she does. Adam's following Rachel around like a puppy begging for her to take him back was beyond pathetic. All these assholes deserve each other and their misery, and it's no longer entertaining to watch.

• Love 12

Haven't seen the ep yet but after reading the above not sure if I want to. I love Shiri & Constance - they are powerhouse performers on the show, so it's a testament to them that they have made me more and more turned off and disappointed in there characters as each episode airs this season. At least last season there were parts of them you could root for. I know it's not their fault - they deserve all the praise  and season 1 as well . 

I'm gonna see this season out. And pray for Marti Noxons return in season 3. I really believe losing her as the a Showrunner and giving Sarah Gertrude Shapiro free reign is what did season 2 in. Too much, too soon, too dark, too all over the place.....too many issues with this season.

• Love 15
(edited)

They did put that warning message before the episode aired. It still was not enough thoug. The cast should have made a heartfelt message. After the shooting UnREAL stopped tweeting. They useally tweet the entire episode. If your going there at least man up and talk about it. Own up for what you did. I asked SGS in the Entertainment  Weekly Snapchat thing about the police shooting and was told they wrote this episode like 6 months ago. In light of what's happened they should have shot a new episode or did a whole hour long live Q&A about the subject. Lifetime is still trying to rebrand and they want to be edgier.

ETA SGS did an interview with the Hollywood reporter about tonight's episode. I posted the link in the media thread. Everyone should leave a comment.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 7
(edited)

Poor whittle Wachel.  She sets up a black man to get shot by the cops, another one to get injured and somehow she is the poor victim in all of this.  She is a fucking bitch, and I'm glad Jay read her for filth.  It is all her fault.  

But to be fair, I was over her from the first frame of this episode.  Adam stole "her Africa?" because he had the courage to do it?  Bitch, bye.

She is a fucking mess, and while Darius faces a paralyzing back injury, and Romeo faces death, little miss "I wanna call the cops just to see what happens" gets to take a few meds while her mommy pets her hair and gives her soothing words.

The only bright spot is Yael possibly exposing the truth, and I only want Rachel to get exactly what she has coming to her.

8 hours ago, holly4755 said:

well I'm Still in - how could Rachael do this - she is nuts and going off the rails every day, you can see it in her male relationships all the time - but to hand her over to her mother again,that is uncalled for.  

This year is hard to watch,but I admit having a laugh at the ashes in the mouth, 

IMO, Rachel deserves much, much worse than to have a comfy bed with her mother stroking her hair.

I don't care how mentally deficient she is, she knows right from wrong, she knew EXACTLY what she was doing and she did it anyways -- all in the hopes that someone would get hurt so she could expose some story, because she was ass-hurt that Adam called her show ridiculous.

She basically got one man shot and another one injured over Adam calling her out for what her show is....fluff.

At the very least, she was hoping for some sort of confrontation.....with a guy who can easily get paralyzed because of the epidural SHE encouraged him to get to remain on her shit show.  So at the very least, she set up Darius to get paralyzed.  

But somehow the audience is supposed to feel bad for Rachel in all of this?  As she takes happy pills to make her forget all the terrible shit she has done?  While her mommy strokes her hair and Rachel gets to be in a daze?

Edited by RCharter
took out something that might be offensive
  • Love 16
(edited)

Wow.  That was....bad.  I've really tried to give the show the benefit of the doubt this season, but this episode was over the top terrible.  Along with everyone else who has already posted, I too was stunned that a black man is shot by a cop, and another injured directly because of Rachel's  intentionally cruel actions, and then...they focus on Rachel and how horrible the whole incident was for Rachel, and how creeped out we're supposed to feel that Rachel is being drugged in an asylum by her mother.  Sorry.  No.    

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 22
(edited)

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. Gross. In the first season, the woman who messed with Mary's pills was vilified. But Rachel calls the cops, knowing exactly what could happen, and I should feel sorry for her breakdown and her mom locking her up? Barf. And the fact that she thought they'd "just" get roughed up, knowing about his back? Double barf. Last season, I felt for Rachel and her internal conflict was well-realized. Now she's just awful.

Terrible timing and terrible storyline. 

Edited by KateeBar
  • Love 16
(edited)
7 hours ago, basically said:

I'm gonna see this season out. And pray for Marti Noxons return in season 3. I really believe losing her as the a Showrunner and giving Sarah Gertrude Shapiro free reign is what did season 2 in. Too much, too soon, too dark, too all over the place.....too many issues with this season.

I agree.  SGS said in an interview that she doesn't read feedback because a lot of it is about what viewers want to see happen and she doesn't want to do that. She wants to create something no one is expecting.  Mission accomplished.  I will look for the link and post it if I find it.  I am only paraphrasing.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5

I'm sure when they filmed it at the time, the "Darius gets stopped by cops" storyline was a good idea. After the past few weeks, it ended up being an arrow through the shoulder, and the only way to get it out was to pass it through.

Actually, I thought it was Rachel, then Darius who got shot.

I've been wondering when Rachel's mom would show up. I'm surprised they hadn't picked up on Jeremy and her teaming together, as inferred at the end of Season 1.

8 hours ago, portfino said:

Boy, should this show have really, really, really done a parody of The Bachelorette.

They did. Season 1. And it was brilliant.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I agree.  SGS said in an interview that she doesn't read feedback because a lot of it is about what viewers want to see happen and she doesn't want to do that. She wants to create something no one is expecting.  Mission accomplished.  I will look for the link and post it if I find it.  I am only paraphrasing.  

Here's the link to the article you are referring to. http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/q-and-a/a59464/unreal-sarah-gertrude-shapiro-season-2-interview/

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks.  I did not remember this correctly but there is an essence there!  lol

UnREAL gets a ton of attention on social media. Is that something that you pay much attention to?
I don't pay a lot of attention to it, only because I think as a writer, it's not great to respond to the internet, in general. Something I've seen on shows in seasons two or three is that they start playing to the cheap seats. Everyone loves one thing on Twitter, and all of the sudden, you're trying to do that thing three times in a season, because everyone loves it. I definitely see social media stuff a little bit, but I try to not pay attention to it. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

This entire season is really disjointed. If all of this has been done on purpose (I just have to assume that no group of people would be this careless with a sophomore season of an edgy show) then the season finale really must be a wowzer to tie it all together.

RE: Adam and Rachel - they can definitely steam up the screen!

• Love 2

I've been powering through this painfully shitty season, hoping things might get back on track, but this episode was my last. This ridiculous Lifetime soap opera thinks it's relevant! Capitalizing  on real-life tragedy and pretending it's making a statement. I think? Maybe it was just a callous and grossly inappropriate way to advance the story. I'm surprised there's not more blowback. 

• Love 7

I've been hanging on by my fingernails this season, watching each episode days after it aired, and only after spoiling myself -- last year it was appointment viewing once I found it, and I didn't want ANY spoilers. So I haven't watched last night's episode, and I won't, and I won't watch the rest of the season. I can't believe this is where this show has gone so quickly. They should be &%$^-ing ASHAMED of themselves, from top to bottom. Though, hey, they really did hope it would be, like totally outdated by now! I mean, who didn't expect this country to resolve all the issues caught up with police brutality in time for the second half of UnReal Season 2? And, well, they did let a black guy yell at Rachel, so, you know, that covers that angle of a white woman setting up black men with the police! Isn't that what it's all about in the end? I mean, whether the black guys wind up dead, seriously injured, paralyzed...well, how IS poor Rachel doing!?

Damn. I guess not all shows stay winners...

• Love 13

I took this off my DVR last week and I"m glad.  I didn't watch last night but after seeing a couple of TV critics disparage this particular episode I decided to check in here.  Wow.  Having read interviews with the showrunner I am not surprised at all, she simply reeks of entitlement.  And there probably was a way that they could have written this that would have been critical of Rachel's entitlement (and the privilege of the Chets and Quinns, etc. in Hollywood) that didn't make her the victim, and that would have been a thoughtful and meaningful "statement." This is just the most recent (and most offensive) indication that this show has completely become the very thing that it is supposed to be deconstructing.

• Love 11

I want to see what happens so I'm still in. I certainly don't watch this show as a moral compass (yikes, more like the complete opposite, if anything) and don't really care that awful characters are shown being awful; I've never subscribed to the idea that show creators are actively trying to make me like someone. That said, it definitely was dark and even startling; made me forget for a second that I started out watching a "fluffy" Lifetime show. 

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, earlbny said:

You're welcome.

Had she listened to the fans season 2 might have actually been enjoyable.

I strongly believe that Rachel = SGS. SGS wants us to feel bad for her. 

I agree with this.  I feel like SGS is trying to absolve herself of her past bad behavior by writing (what she thinks is) a sympathetic character in Rachel.  I think she thinks that if the audience forgives Rachel, then she can justify whatever tactics she used when she herself was a producer on The Bachelor.  

I can't say anything about the episode that others in this thread already said (but better), so all i will say is that I found the execution extremely distasteful.  I feel like SGS and the writers just wanted to be able to pat themselves on the back for having a black bachelor as the lead, but didn't actually think through how to tackle the issue of race effectively on the show.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, earlbny said:

You're welcome.

Had she listened to the fans season 2 might have actually been enjoyable.

I strongly believe that Rachel = SGS. SGS wants us to feel bad for her. 

This has been my biggest concern and its coming to life.  SGS sounds like a terrible human being.  I do not want to watch a show about her as an anti-hero because she sounds awful.  If this is about SGS playing victim and trying to justify whatever she has done in the world, I'm not here for that.  

• Love 3
(edited)

1.  Okay so I hate Coleman.  I don't know what it is about him but I don't like him or trust him.  Of all the dirt bags on this show to me he is the worst one.  Glad he is fired...now if only that meant we never had to see him again.

2.  Black Lives Matter...this is a serious subject and you can't handle it well...it's a disgrace to handle it at all...this was a disgrace. 

3.  Save yourself...if ever there was a message this season...it's the idea that a relationship cannot save you from yourself.  It can't.  Quinn couldn't save Chet.  Rachel couldn't save Jeremy.  Coleman and Adam can't save Rachel.

4.  Team Adam:  While I firmly believe that Rachel needs to get help on her own.  I think Adam is a better fit for her. 

Edited by dmc
  • Love 3
(edited)
19 minutes ago, mattie0808 said:

I've been hanging on by my fingernails this season, watching each episode days after it aired, and only after spoiling myself -- last year it was appointment viewing once I found it, and I didn't want ANY spoilers. So I haven't watched last night's episode, and I won't, and I won't watch the rest of the season. I can't believe this is where this show has gone so quickly. They should be &%$^-ing ASHAMED of themselves, from top to bottom. Though, hey, they really did hope it would be, like totally outdated by now! I mean, who didn't expect this country to resolve all the issues caught up with police brutality in time for the second half of UnReal Season 2? And, well, they did let a black guy yell at Rachel, so, you know, that covers that angle of a white woman setting up black men with the police! Isn't that what it's all about in the end? I mean, whether the black guys wind up dead, seriously injured, paralyzed...well, how IS poor Rachel doing!?

Damn. I guess not all shows stay winners...

Exactly, poor Rachel feels weally, weally bad and has to take some medication to forget about all the awful things she has done.  And mommy came to take her away....poor poor Rachel.  Shouldn't we really all just feel pity for Rachel?  She gets to take some meds and isn't facing death, like the man she set up for no reason other than to show Adam that her show isn't ridiculous fluff.

27 minutes ago, RedInk said:

I've been powering through this painfully shitty season, hoping things might get back on track, but this episode was my last. This ridiculous Lifetime soap opera thinks it's relevant! Capitalizing  on real-life tragedy and pretending it's making a statement. I think? Maybe it was just a callous and grossly inappropriate way to advance the story. I'm surprised there's not more blowback. 

Out of curiosity I visited the FB page, and its a lot of "but Rachel was really trying to help!" "Poor Rachel really meant well!" and "ohhh...Adam!"

I can't understand how the biggest thing people got out of that episode was "Adam + Rachel = hot love 4 ever!" 

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I agree with this.  I feel like SGS is trying to absolve herself of her past bad behavior by writing (what she thinks is) a sympathetic character in Rachel.  I think she thinks that if the audience forgives Rachel, then she can justify whatever tactics she used when she herself was a producer on The Bachelor.  

I can't say anything about the episode that others in this thread already said (but better), so all i will say is that I found the execution extremely distasteful.  I feel like SGS and the writers just wanted to be able to pat themselves on the back for having a black bachelor as the lead, but didn't actually think through how to tackle the issue of race effectively on the show.

SGS wants us all to give her a hug after last nights episode. Poor Sarah. Poor Rachel. 

SGS has said that they had 2 black people on the writing staff and had long discussions about this season. They should have had even longer ones.

I heard SGS talk during the UnREAL press tour and she came across just like Rachel when talking about the 1st black suitor.. 

• Love 6
(edited)
3 minutes ago, earlbny said:

SGS wants us all to give her a hug after last nights episode. Poor Sarah. Poor Rachel. 

SGS has said that they had 2 black people on the writing staff and had long discussions about this season. They should have had even longer ones.

I heard SGS talk during the UnREAL press tour and she came across just like Rachel when talking about the 1st black suitor.. 

does she really think any of this makes her/Rachel likable?

I suspect there was serious railroading at some point, or something was changed, because I can't see how two people of color would have thought that Rachel should somehow be a victim in all of that.

But given the little I've read of SGS, she seems like just the sort who would.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, dmc said:

Okay so I hate Coleman.  I don't know what it is about him but I don't like him or trust him.  Of all the dirt bags on this show to me he is the worst one.  Glad he is fired...now if only that meant we never had to see him again.

Rachel's actions were inexcusable, but Coleman's "Rachel, don't go in and try to defuse the situation because I am getting good footage of a volatile incident that I think may end in tragedy because of a false accusation that we set up in order to create drama for TV show." was totally loathsome.

6 minutes ago, earlbny said:

I wonder if those writers were totally ignored by the end of the discussion. .  . like Darius and Romeo.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Rachel's actions were inexcusable, but Coleman's "Rachel, don't go in and try to defuse the situation because I am getting good footage of a volatile incident that I think may end in tragedy because of a false accusation that we set up in order to create drama for TV show." was totally loathsome.

I wonder if those writers were totally ignored by the end of the discussion. .  . like Darius and Romeo.

I was even more annoyed by "huh, why would I lose my job over this?" and referring to the shooting of two men as "the situation"  I was team Coleman -- no more.  Begone Google Glasses douche.

• Love 8